MOUNTAIN LOVE

by Psyche-b

Chapter 10B

Go to Part 1


Disclaimers: As always the characters belong to my warped little mind. Unfortunately not the people they are patterned after. If this sort of this offends you please hit the delete button now. If you are under 18 please come back when you are older.

"This telegram is all the proof I need. It says she is being held against her will at the Double J Ranch." Montgomery stated as he waved the paper in the Sheriff's face.

"Sheriff that young woman is my fiancée. I want to get her back so that we can get married."

"Well" The Sheriff said as he scratched his chin. "I will have to contact Sheriff Cooper in Clifton Park Village. That is his jurisdiction."

"Why the Hell can you not take us there?" Corrigan demanded.

"Mr. Carstairs..."

"My name is Corrigan." He stated loudly.

"Sorry Mr. Corrigan. I don't know how you do things in Virginia, but around here , one Town Sheriff does not butt into another Town Sheriff's area. I have to let the Sheriff know we are coming."

"Very well. Just do it." Corrigan ordered.

The sheriff went to the phone on the wall, lifted the receiver and turned the crank. He waited a minute. "Dottie, this is Sheriff Peterson, would you connect me with Sheriff Cooper." He turned to the men. "Have a seat this could take a few minutes."

"What the Hell is that thing?" Montgomery asked.

"This? This gentlemen is a telephone. Don't you have them in Virginia?"

"If we did, I would not have asked now would I Sheriff?" Montgomery stated.

"I have heard of them, but I refuse to spend the money for something that is not essential for running my ranch." Corrigan said. "Those things are a waste of money.

"It is worth the expense as it saves a whole lot of unnecessary running around." He held up a hand. "Coop? This is Burt Peterson. The family is fine. How about yours. That good to hear. Listen Coop, I have a couple gentlemen here looking for the Double J. They say there is a girl being held against her will there. Sure I will bring them. Heck I will even let you buy me dinner. We should be there by then." He hung up the receiver and turned to the men. "He said to bring you over. We can all go check out the ranch. I have a very hard time believing Cassie is holding someone against their will. Do you have horses or would you like to ride in my automobile?"

"Your what?"

"Automobile. You know horseless carriage?"

"We know what they are." Corrigan angrily stated. "They are nasty smelly things."

"An automobile is faster than a horse and you do not have to worry about running them in this heat."

"We will take our chance with the horses." Corrigan stated as they walked out of the office. He grabbed the reins that were held out to him.

"Suit yourself. It will be a good two hour ride." He climbed into the driver's seat and pushed a button. A Deputy turned the crank in the front of the automobile. It backfired and spooked the horses which nearly unseated one of the riders. He struggled to regain control of his horse. "Follow me." He shouted over the noise of the engine. The Sheriff put on goggles released the brake and put the automobile in gear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We have company coming and not the welcomed kind." Maude told Granny after she hung up the phone. "I had better have one of the men go find Cassie and have them return to the house." She went to the front door and found one of the men as he walked by the porch. "Jake I need you to ride out to the South Pasture and find Cassie." They were going to check for traps then head to the lake. Tell her the Sheriff called and that we have visitors coming. I think she needs to get back here."

"Miss Victoria's father?" He asked.

"I think so."

"Damn, I am sorry Mrs. Jones."

"Don't worry about that Jake. Just find Cassie."

"I will get her. You want me to get some of the men back here?"

"That would probably be a good idea, but find Cassie first."

"Yes ma'am" He said and went to the barn. Minutes later he rode out of the barn.
"
"Now we wait." Maude said to herself as she watched the man ride away. She joined Granny on the porch as they both watched the dust cloud settle.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

Author's Page