MOUNTAIN LOVE

by Psyche-b

Chapter 12B

Go to Part 1


Disclaimers: As always the characters belong to my warped little mind. Unfortunately not the people they are patterned after. If this sort of this offends you please hit the delete button now. If you are under 18 please come back when you are older.

    The Sheriff and the ranch hands watched the train pull out of the station.  They had made it in plenty of time to catch the last train of the night.  Even after they had stopped to pick up the Sheriff's automobile.

    As the train pulled away, the Sheriff said, "I certainly hope that is the last we see of them.  I don't think we will be that lucky, but I can hope."

    "I have the same feeling Sheriff."  Mike, the ranch foreman stated.  "Even if they do decide to come back it will not be for a few days.  The next stop is Springfield."

    "I had better wire the Sheriff there to warn him not to let them off the train.  You men should continue to keep an eye on things at the ranch for awhile longer."

    "We certainly will.  Well we are going to head over and get something to eat before Hazel closes the kitchen. Coming Sheriff?"

    "As soon as I send that telegram.  Have Hazel to fix me a steak."  The Sheriff replied.

------------------------------------------------

    The train picked up speed as it pulled away from the station.  The men looked sullenly out the window into the darkness.  They were once again in possession of their guns.  Montgomery sat and faced Corrigan.  Neither spoke until the conductor punched their tickets.


    "The first stop we make, we get off and ..."

    "No."  Corrigan interrupted.

    "What do you mean?  I want my daughter away from that bitch."

    "I said no.  Not the first stop.  Let them think they have won.  We tried it your way and that did not work.  Now we do this my way.  I expect they have already wired the law at the next stop and told them not to let us off the train."

    "But the next stop..."

    "Listen Montgomery, this is the way we will do this.  We will let them think they have beaten us.  We do not get off the next stop or even try to.  We wait until the stop after that.  We bide our time, before we return to this area.  We take our time after we do return and watch the place for a few days or even a week.  Get to know her routine.  Sooner or later the bitch will leave the safety of the ranch.  We will have her then.  Take her out of the picture and Victoria will not have her protection.  We ride in and take her back where she belongs."

    "Are you talking murder?"

    "I should have known you would not have the backbone to get this job done.  No, I do not mean murder.  That bitch does need to be taught a lesson.  She defied me.  They both did.  I will not stand for that from any woman.  No woman defies me, ever.  Maybe it would be better if you returned to Virginia.  Me and my boys will take care of this and bring Victoria home."

    "No I will stay until it is finished."

    "Don't trust me?  Are you afraid I will renege on our deal?"  Corrigan stated as his eyes bored into Montgomery's.

    "No.  It is not that."  He stammered.

    "Good.  Then you will do what I tell you to do, when I tell you to do it.  Understand?"

    He nodded.  Corrigan pulled his hat down over his eyes and slept.  Montgomery stared out the window for a long time before he too slept.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

Author's Page