So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                      CHAPTER 24 A

    The week flew by and now they were down to their last day away.  The thought brought an air of melancholy to the two women who lay with their arms entwined on the bed.  The cooler morning air seeped into the partially closed window and caused them to pull the blankets tighter across their nude forms.

    Kate snuggled deeper into Anya's embrace as she drifted in that special place between sleep and waking.  Anya tightened her hold on the smaller woman as she allowed her to wake up.  This drew a sigh of contentment from Kate.  Anya shifted slightly and kissed Kate's forehead which earned her another sigh.

    "Good morning."  Kate said softly.

    "A very beautiful morning, my Kate."

    "What time is it?"

    "Almost oh six hundred thirty hours."

    "Too early to get up."  Kate groused.  "We should go back to sleep."

    "We have a lot o things to do today before we head back to Andromeda."

    Kate groaned.  "This has been the best vacation we have taken in years.  I am not sure I want it to end."  Anya laughed silently which caused Kate's head to bobbed where it lay on her chest. Kate poke Anya's side.  "Bad pillow.  Stop moving."  Anya laughed harder.  "First thing I am going to do is complain how much the pillows move."  Anya's laughter was contagious and soon Kate joined in.  They laughed until their sides hurt and they were out of breath.

  "Tell me Kate, how do you plan on demonstrating those moving pillows you will complain about?"  This set off another round of laughter.

    The finally made it out of the bedroom an hour later.  They took turns in the small bathroom, before they made their way into the kitchen area.  Kate sipped her coffee while Anya fixed their breakfast.  Kate made certain her paintings were dried before she prepared them for transport back to Andromeda.

  "If you bring out the coffee tray, I will bring out our breakfast."  Anya stated.

  "It will be my pleasure my darling."  Kate said and kissed Anya.  "Smells delicious."

  Kate picked up the tray with cups, creamer and sugar outside to the table.  She went back to hold the door open for Anya who carried plates of omelets, potatoes and thick slices of ham.

  "What time will Rhea and Bella be here?"  Anya asked.

  "Rhea said around fifteen hundred hours."  Kate responded.  "This week has been very special.  I am almost sorry to see it end."

  "Almost Kate?"

  "I find I really miss the girls and,"  She paused.  "I do not have any more blank canvasses."  she stated wistfully.

  "Kate I am sure if we enlist Kacey's and Liam's help we may be able to squeeze an hour or so daily for you to paint."

  "I just can not pawn my duties onto them.  They both have their own duties."

  "We will work something out.  We will be here for a couple more weeks so you will have more opportunities while we are on the ground."  Anya reassured her.  "There is nothing on the agenda beside the party for Saint Patrick's Day.  Do you need to check in with Kacey before we leave?"

  "I should, if only to tell her when we will be leaving, but not right this minute."

  "Good.  This week has been good for you Kate.  You look so relaxed and so very beautiful in the morning sun.  Just like the first time I ever saw you.  You had a little spot of red paint right here."  She touched the tip of Kate's nose.  "You were doing a painting of the grounds around the Space Academy."

  "Anya that was,"  she thought, "over fifteen years ago.  I painted that picture the summer before I started at the Academy."

  "I know.  You never knew that did you?"

  "No I did not.  Tell me about it."

  "We, my family and I had only been in the city for a few weeks because I was scheduled to start at the Academy in the fall.  We had been setting up my apartment.  When that was finished they left and I wandered around to get to know the city and the grounds.  That day you were seated by the fountain and painting.  You were so engrossed in you work, you did not realize I watched you.  I sat on the bench  under the trees and watched until you packed up and left.  Before you walked away, you turned towards me and that is when I noticed the paint."

  "Why didn't you come over and introduce yourself?"

  "You were so caught up in your painting I did not want to disturb you.  Did you know you have the same look on you face when you paint that Kacey does when she plays her violin?"  Kate shook her head no.  "I went back to that place everyday for a week to see you, but you did not return.  Then classes started and we were so busy there was no time to return to watch you paint."

  "I wish I had known you watched me.  We could have had a couple more years together."

  "We met when we were supposed to meet."  Anya stated.

  "I love you so very much."  Kate said and leaned over to kiss Anya.

  "I love you also my Kate."  Anya whispered.  "Now finish your breakfast, so that we can finish packing before Rhea and Bella come to pick us up."

  "Do we have time to go back inside and..."

  "No Kate, but I will make it up to you tonight."

  "I will hold you to that."

 

                                      CHAPTER 24 B


    The shuttle approached Andromeda.  Kate noticed their family waiting near the ramp as Rhea gently brought the shuttle down.  They waved through the windshield as the girls excitedly jumped around waiting for the word that it was safe to leave the ramp.  They looked up at Kacey impatiently waiting for her signal.  Rhea opened the ramp and shut the engine down.  Kate smiled at Kacey waved her arm.  The girls took off at a run to the shuttle.

    "Mama, mummy,"  The girls shouted as their mothers walked off the shuttle.  They each lifted one of their daughters and hugged them.

    "We missed you mama."  Erica said.

    "Yeah, mummy did you miss us?"  Erin asked.

    "Did you see any animals?  Did you go adventuring? Can we go next time?"  The girls fired questions at their mothers.

    "Whoa.  Take it easy."  Anya told them.  "Help us bring everything in and we will tell you all about our trip."

    They put their daughters down and walked over to greet the rest of their family.  Kacey had dark sunglasses on which to Kate seemed strange as the day was overcast.

    "Captain, it is my extreme pleasure to tell you there are no new dents in your ship.  And to turn your ship back over to you.  However I remind you that outside the ship is still my domain."

    "I would accept no less Colonel.  I accept command back, Colonel and I am very grateful there are no new dents."  Kate joked as she pulled Kacey in for a hug.  "now how about you remove the reflectors so that I can see your eyes."

    "Later Kate.  Let's get everything unloaded first."  Kacey stated taking a step back.

    "Is something wrong?"  Kate asked.

    "Kacey does not want you to see her blood shot eyes and the dark circles."

    Kacey clear her throat loudly and looked at Natalia.

    "We will talk later, not remove the reflectors."  Kate said again.

    "I respectfully refuse Kate."  Kacey stated.

    Kate's eyebrows rose as she waited.  She reached up to remove the reflectors from Kacey's eyes.  Kate shook her head and handed the glasses back to Kacey who put them back on.

    The removed everything from the shuttle and brought it to their quarters.  Kate and Anya brought their bags into their bedroom where they placed them in the corner for later unpacking.  Once that was done they joined everyone in the living room where Liam handed them drinks.  Kacey was absent from the group. Kate looked around their quarters.

    "Were you girls good for you Aunts and grandparents?"  Anya asked.

    "Yes mama."  They spoke together.  Anya looked at Natalia.

    "They were very good, Anya."

    "Tis true lass."

    "Good that is what we like to hear, correct Kate?"

    "What?"  Kate said as she continued to look around.

    "If you are looking for Kacey she said that she wanted to make sure everything was cleaned out of you shuttle and make sure security is set for tonight."  Patricia stated.

    "Sounds more like she is hiding."  Kate responded.  "Tell me Natalia how bad was she?  Why does she look like she went five rounds with the champ and lost"

    "She will be very angry if I rat her out."

    "If she did something that was unhealthy, why would you keep that information from anyone who can do something about it?"

    "Now that you are back, things will be different."

    "Please tell me?"

    Natalia took a deep breath.  "She made arrangement with Rhea.  Every night between twenty three hundred and oh one hundred hours, the computer would beep telling Kacey they were going to bed.  Kacey slept between twenty one hundred hours and what ever time that beep came.  The rest of the night she sat up and watched the outside of the hut until you both made an appearance then she went about her regular duties."

    Kate shook her head and closed her eyes in disbelief.  "Computer locate Colonel O'Malley."

    "Colonel O'Malley is in the Hanger."

    Kate stood up.  "What are you going to do Kate?"  Natalia asked.

    "I am going to find my very stubborn sister and make sure she gets some sleep."  Kate stated and walked out of their quarters.

--------------------------------

    Kacey stood near the ramp as she directed the Marines.  "We have an opportunity while we are here to go through every flyer in the fleet to make sure all the systems are one hundred percent.  I do not need to remind anyone that the Liamri are still around.  When  we return to space, I want all systems working optimally.  Replace any systems you do not think are working at peak capacity."

  "Do you have any preference which ships we start with?"

  "Start with my shuttle and shuttle three, along with any ships just coming off their rotation.  From what I understand we will be here for approximately two more weeks.  Once you get started we will get all the systems synched up."

  Kate made her way silently around the Hanger until she was standing between two Stingers, out of sight of any of the Marines.

  "Colonel we will get it done."  Mike stated.

  "Thank you Mike.  Dismissed."  The Marines dispersed to start the repairs.  Kacey turned and came face to face with Kate.  "You look good Kate.  That vacation was good for you."

  "I would like to return the compliment, but you little sister look like Hell."  Kate stated. "Take a walk with me."

  "Sure where are we headed?"

  "Your quarters and take off the shades"

  "I would rather not Kate."

  "I have seen you eyes.  I know what they look like."

  "That is not the only reason.  The lights hurt."

  "All right, fine."

  "I take it Talia ratted me out."

  "Don't be angry with her."

  "I'm not Kate.  I expected it."  Kacey sighed.

  "Why?"  Kate asked.

  "Let's get to my quarters before you start yelling at me."

  "What makes you think I am going to yell?"  Kacey looked at her.  "I want to thank you again for the art supplies.  I was able to complete several pictures.  You can take your pick."

    "Thanks Kate."

    They made the remainder of the journey in silence.  Kacey entered the code and they walked in.

    "How about a brandy?"  Kate asked.  Kacey went to the replicator and ordered two brandies.  The glasses materialized.  She put ice in one  and carried both into the living room.  She turned down the lights and removed her sunglasses before she sat across from Kate.

    "Tell me why?  You had Rhea within a half kilometer of us, Stingers flying over all night, Marines patrolling.  Why did you find it necessary to stay up all night watching the outside of the hut?"

  "How did you know about the extra protection?"

  "I really didn't, but you just admitted it."

  Kacey lay her head against the back of the love seat and closed her eyes.  "I can not believe I walked into that one."

  "I appreciate all your efforts to make sure we were fully protected.  However, your action in driving yourself more than twenty hours a day for a week are insane."  Kate held up her hands when Kacey started to protest.  "I said your actions not you.  Now this is what is going to happen.  You will finish your brandy, then go to bed.  If you get out of that bed for anything other than bio breaks and eating before twenty four hours have elapsed, I will have the doctor declare you unfit for duty due to mental exhaustion."
  "You have got to be kidding."  Kacey sputtered in shock.

  "I am serious.  Who was it that said that tired pilots make mistakes?"

  "I did."  Kacey sighed.  "All right Kate, you win this time, but only because I am tired."

  "Finish your drink.  I will stick around until you are asleep."  Kate dared her to protest.  Kacey gave up and finished her drink.  She went into the bedroom.  Kate heard her in the bathroom.  When she came out she was wearing her ratty sleep clothes.  She blew Kate a kiss before she climbed into bed.  Kate watched her lay down. "What I don't rate a bedtime story?" "Not today.  You probably would not stay awake long enough to get past Once upon a time.  Go to sleep."   Within minutes her slow steady breathing told Kate she was asleep.  Kate finished her drink and watched for a few minutes before she quietly left and went to her quarters.

  "Where is Kacey?"  Natalia asked.

  "She is sleeping."  Kate responded and touched her communicator.  "Attention all crew and Marines.  This is Captain Jensen.  For the next twenty four hours no one is to contact Colonel O'Malley for anything less that the planet exploding.  If you have any problems or concern, contact me or Commander O'Malley."

  "Was she angry Kate?"  Patricia asked.

  "Actually no.  I left no choice. She either got some sleep or I would have her declared mentally unfit due to exhaustion.  Natalia I expect you to make sure she follows my orders."

  "I will do my best Kate."

  "Now how are the plans for the Saint Patrick's day party coming along?"

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page