So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                      CHAPTER 29 A


    The Doctor pushed through the door.  Kate and her parents stood up.  She looked at the anxious faces before her.

    "Kacey came through the surgery and is now in recovery.  She will be there for several hours."

    "What took so long?"

    "There was a lot of damage we needed to repair.  We stopped the internal bleeding first and had to remove her ruptured spleen to do that."

    "Isn't that dangerous?"  Natalia asked.

    "No it is not.  While the spleen is an important organ, humans can live without one.  The longest part of the surgery was repairing the damage to her arm."  She took a deep breath before she continued.  "When the bone broke, the end punched through the skin damaging nerves, tendons, muscles and ligaments.  Luckily the broken end did not hit the artery. Each segment had to be repaired after the bone ends were fused."

    "Will there be any permanent damage?"

    "We no way of knowing at this time.  With the amount of damage that occurred it is impossible to state if there will be any sort of impairment."

    "Would any impairment affect her hand?"

    "Captain at this point we don't know.  Once everything is healed inside she will need physical therapy to strengthen the muscles.  It will be a slow process.  Needless to say Captain, Colonel O'Malley is medically removed from duty."

    Kate nodded.  "I will let Colonel Anderson know he is in charge for now."

    "Doctor when can I see her?"  Natalia asked.

    "She will be in recovery for at least another two hours. I will contact you when she is ready to be moved into a room.  Natalia, you need to leave until then."

  "I can not leave her."

  "Natalia, you have not left since Kacey was brought in.  You have not eaten."  Anya said softly.  "Your children need one of their moms."  Natalia lost the tenuous hold she had on her tears.  Her face crumbled and she sobbed on Anya's shoulder.  Anya held her as she cried.  Her eyes met Kate's over Natalia's head. "You babies need you.  Kacey will need you when she wakes up.  You need to take care of yourself.  We will stay with you.  You are not alone.  We are your family, lean on us."  Anya spoke softly.

  Natalia nodded after several minutes wiped her eyes and stepped away from Anya. "Thank you."

  "We are family, that is what we do."

  Natalia went to Patricia and Liam and hugged them.  She hesitated before she went to Kate and hugged her.

  "Come on, lets get you something to eat while we wait for the doctor to call us."  Kate stated.

  Natalia went to the stroller where their children waited.  They both smiled up at her.  She pushed the stroller out of the waiting room.  Kate and Anya bracketed her.  Their girls walked with their grandparents.

  "Captain Jensen to Colonel Anderson."

  "Yes Captain."

  "Kacey is out of surgery.  Could you meet me at Colonel O'Malley's quarters in five minutes?"

  "Certainly Captain and thank you for letting us know about Kacey."

  Kate pushed the private call button.  "Rhea?"

  "Yes Kate?"

  "would you and Bella meet me at Kacey's in five minutes?"

  "Of course, Kate."

  Inside their quarters, Natalia took the children out of their stroller and put them in their chairs.  She went to the cooling unit and pulled out their food which she divided into two portions and placed the dishes in the heating unit.  Patricia and Anya started their meal.  When the food was warm, she handed one bowl and tiny spoon to Kate who sat in front of Caitlyn to feed her.  Liam took Patrick's food from Natalia.

  "Ye relax lass.  We will take care of the wee ones."

  "Thank you Liam.  You are the kind of father I wish I had."

  "Ahh lass ye have me now.  There is no need to be regretting anything in your life."  She kissed his cheek before she headed into the bedroom to change her clothes.  After she changed she went in the nursery.  Natalia took out the babies pajamas for after their baths.  She silently went through the motions.  The door chimed. 

  "Come in."  Kate called out.

  Mike, Rhea and Bella walked in.  "How is Kacey?"  Rhea asked.

  "They had to repair a lot of damage in her arm and removed her spleen to stop the internal bleeding.  She will be off duty for the foreseeable future."  Kate stated as she continued to feed Caitlyn.

  "I will take care of things Captain."

  "Mike with everything you have done for Kacey, please call me Kate."

  "Thank you,  Kate.  Will there be any permanent disability?"

  "The Doctor does not know at this point."  Kate said sadly.

  "What do you want us to do Kate?"  Bella asked.

  "Bella if you can take some time away from your engines, I would appreciate it if you three can go through every frame of the recording from the point when she told me that she would return when she reached the half way mark.  We need to know what really happened."

  "Of course Kate.  We will get started immediately."  Rhea stated.

  "Thank you.  Mike have your mechanics go through every millimeter of her shuttle."

  "The mechanics have already started.  As soon as we know anything, I will let you know.

  "Thank you for being her friend, Mike.  There is one other item I want to mention.  The news about her arm, can not leave this room.  I do not want anything getting back to her until we know more."

  "Certainly Kate."  Rhea stated.  Mike nodded his head in agreement.

    Natalia finished getting everything needed for the children's baths.  She filled the children's tub that set inside the big tub.  She added toys to the water and stared at the ripples the toy made.  Her eyes filled.  She heard Kate come into the bathroom and quickly wiped her eyes.

  "There is no reason to hide your tears from me, Natalia."

  "Just when I think I am all cried out, a fresh batch gets through.  Did Caitlyn finish eating?"

  "She ate everything and is now ready for Auntie Kate to give her a bath."

  "You do not have to do that."

  "I would like to.  Please let me?"

  "All right, but I have to warn you, she likes to splash."  Natalia stated.  "She will get you all wet."

  "Then I will change my clothes."

  "Kate, I want to apologize for earlier.  I blamed you for Kacey's injury."

  "No apologies Natalia."  Kate stated as she took Caitlyn to the nursery to strip her out of her clothes.  Then took her into the bathroom where she set her down in the water.  Natalia placed a towel and wash cloth on the counter for Kate to use.

  She left the bathroom after getting a wet cloth she knew Liam would need.  "How is he doing Liam?"

  "He is almost finished, lass."

  "You are lucky.  He usually gets Kacey..."  She stopped, put the wet cloth on the tray and went into their bedroom.  Patricia nudged Anya and pointed to the bedroom.  She nodded and followed Natalia.  She found her sister in law seated on the foot of the bed with her hands covering her face as sobs wracked her body.  Anya sat next to her and held her while she cried.  She rubbed Natalia's back in comfort.

  "Kacey is a very strong woman.  She will make it through this latest."

  "That is not the reason, not the only reason.  Anya what if, what if she can no longer play her violin?  That would tear her heart out."

  "This is not a done deal.  Just because the Doctor could not be one hundred percent certain there will be any disability, does not mean there will be.  You have to believe, to have faith."

  "I will try."

  "Go slap some cold water on your face, then come out when you are ready.  Kate will give Patrick his bath also so you can relax."

  "Anya what if..."

  "No what if's. Do not think that way.  It may not happen over night, but I really believe that Kacey will be fine. You find it in yourself to believe it yourself."

  "All right, Anya."  Natalia said softly before she went into the bathroom.  Anya heard the sound of running water as she went back out to help Patricia.

 

                                     CHAPTER 29 B

    The peace and quiet was slowly encroached by the sounds around her.  The squeak of rubber soled shoes, the click of heels, the soft beeps of the machinery and the hiss of oxygen through the nasal tube, became louder as her mind fought back from the depths of anesthesia.  As the drugs wore off, she became aware of other sensations.

    What started out as a dim discomfort, with every passing second increased until the pain level could no longer be ignored.  She could not stop the moan escaping which alerted the nurse near by.

  "Colonel O'Malley,"  she stated.  "Kacey try not to move.  You are in recovery."  She pressed the button on the bed. "Doctor McCloud, Kacey is waking up."

  "I am on my way."

  Kacey tried to move which brought on a fresh wave of pain.  She moaned again.  Her brow furrowed with the sharp stabs in her arm and side.

  "Colonel please try to remain still.  The Doctor is on her way."

  "I have this Maria."  Doctor McCloud stated as she walked to the bed.  "Kacey you are in recovery.  Try not to move around too much.  You had an accident and have undergone surgery."

  "Talia."  She whispered.

  "I will call her as soon as you are out of recovery.  Relax and finish waking up."

  The doctor checked the readouts of the machines around the bed. "Doc?"  Kacey whispered.  "How bad?"

  "Kacey finish waking up and then we will talk."

  "Is it that bad?"

  "No, but you will not remember anything I will say."

  Kacey sighed and closed her eyes.  The Doctor adjusted the nasal tube.  "Is her room set up?"

  "It is, Doctor."

  "Kacey we will move you shortly then I will call Natalia."

  She nodded and kept her eyes closed while she waited for the last of the anesthesia to leave her system.  Doctor McCloud stepped out of the room.  When she was out of the recovery area she called Natalia.

  "Sick Bay to Natalia O'Malley."

  "Yes Doctor."

  "Kacey is awake.  She will be in a room in a half hour."

  "Thank you Doctor."

  "You are welcome.  Before you see her I would like to talk to everyone in my office."

  "Is there anything wrong?

  "I would like to talk to you first."

  "Doctor this is Captain Jensen.  We will be there.

---------------------

  Natalia continued to push the food around on her plate.  She had no appetite.  The babies were content in Kate's and Liam's arms.

  "Tis good news lass."

  "Why would she want to talk to everyone before we see Kacey?"

  "It does no good to wonder and worry, Natalia.  She may have additional news on Kacey's condition."  Anya stated placing a comforting hand on her arm.

  "She could also want to know how much we think she should tell Kacey."  Patricia added.

  "What ever she wants to tell us, remember you are not alone."

  "I know Kate and that means a lot.  Growing up there was just my mother and I.  She supported any decision I made, but she also had duties to the citizens of Marcus Prime.  there never seemed to be time for family things like heart to heart talks, or picnics, or any of those things families do."

  "Were you lonely as a child?"  Patricia asked.

  "I can not say I was lonely.  I had a few close friends, plus the staff never treated me as a princess.  At least until I turned eighteen.  Then things changed because I started formal training to become the next queen. It was when mother died that I really felt alone.  Surrounded by thousands of citizens, I was alone."

  "Lass we are your family now and ye will never be alone."

  "Seeing all of you together, showed me what I missed in my life.  Even when you are angry with one another, the love between you is almost visible."  Natalia stated.

  "I am sure your mother loved you very much."  Patricia stated.

  "I know she did, but it was always a reserved sort of love.  I can not remember her hugging me for no particular reason. Or cutting loose and enjoying a party.  When she died I had o one to lean on.  I had to be strong for my people.  Now I have the love and support of you all."

  "That will never be changing lass."

  "I will remain here with the children when you go see Kacey."  Anya volunteered.

  "I have already contacted one of the day care aides.  She will be here shortly."  Kate told her.  The door chimed.  "There she is now."  Kate went to the door while the others cleared the table.

-------------------

    They walked into Sick Bay.  Doctor McCloud met them and brought them to her office. She sat behind her desk.  Natalia and Patricia sat in the chairs in front of the desk.  Anya and Kate placed a hand on Natalia's shoulders.  Liam placed his hands on Patricia's.

  "Kacey is awake, but in a lot of pain.  She has refused any pain meds until she talked to you all.  The reason I wanted to see you first is for now I do not want to mention the possibility of not having full function in that arm."

  "Do you know more now?"  Natalia asked.

  "No unfortunately we do not.  We probably will not know if there is a disability until she starts therapy.  For her mental well being, I would like to hold off telling her anything.  Right now there is no feelings and sensations in her hand because we did a lot of work in her arm.  That may return on it's own."

  "I do not think I can lie to her Doctor."  Natalia said.  "What do I say to her if she asks."

  "You can tell her that there might and I stress the word might be some loss of function."

  "I will try and I think we should hold off as long as possible." 

  The Doctor looked around at the family who all nodded in agreement.  "Good."

  "Doctor what about the other pilots?"

  "A few broken bones and a lot of bruises that have all been treated and released,  Do you know what happened?"

  "Not yet.  I have people going over all the computer footage of the battle."

  "I have kept you long enough."  She stood and led them back out into Sick Bay.  "The same rules apply.  No one person will be allowed to stay with her more than four hours at a time.  There will be no exceptions."

-----------------

    Kacey was waiting for them when they walked in.  The head of the bed was raised. A sling covered her left arm keeping it immobile.  She smiled when she spied Natalia and tried to straighten but the pain made her gasp.  She held her good arm out.  Natalia went to her side and lay her head on Kacey's strong shoulder and cried.

  "Talia please don't cry."

  "Why sweetheart?  Why do these things happen?

  "Honey it was a battle.  From what I remember, I was too close to that Pirate ship when it exploded."

  "How are you feeling dear?"

  "Hurting mom.  What are the damages this time?"

  Kacey you really have to stop getting yourself into these situations."  Doctor McCloud stated.  "You had a ruptured spleen that we had to remove and a compound break in your arm."

  "Which means what Doc?"

  "It means several weeks of physical therapy after everything is healed.  You are medically grounded until further notice."  She handed Kate the paperwork grounding Kacey.  "You also had a gash on your forehead and a simple fracture in you left leg.  Those were these easy ones to fix."

  Natalia let the conversation flow over her.  she was content to lay her head on Kacey chest and listen to the strong heart beat beneath her ear.

  "Is physical therapy really necessary?"

  "Necessary?  Let me put it this way.  Do you want full use of your arm?"

  "Damn Doc, you don't pull any punches."

  "Can not afford to especially when dealing with you rough tough warriors.  You in particular.  Now you have seen your family, are you ready for the pain meds?"

  "Yeah the pain is setting my teeth on edge."

  Doctor McCloud took the syringe she held and inserted the needle into the I.V. port.  "You will feel drowsy very shortly."

  "Hey Doc do you every worry about,"  she paused.  "Damn that is good shit."  He eyes started to close.  "Worry about addiction..."  Her voice dropped off as sleep claimed her.

  "That was a powerful shot I gave her.  She will sleep for several hours."

  Natalia felt the arm around her shoulder slacken.  She sat up and held the larger hand of her love.  She felt the fingers curl around hers.  "I am going to stay with her."

  "As I expected.  Remember what I said.  No more than four hours."

  "I will stay also."  Kate offered.

  "Kate you and Liam need to run the ship."  Anya argued.  "You both need to rest."

  "I will.  That is why I am taking the first shift."

  "All right, Kate.  I will return in four hours to relieve you.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page