It's the Great Pumpkin, Xena And Gabrielle

by: Pat Winterburn

tapsxena@yahoo.com

Disclaimers: My apologizes to the late Charles Schultz and again i'm sorry to whoever owns the rights to Xena: Warrior Princess these days.

A friend of mine asked me to write a childrens bedtime story. So, here goes!

*************************************************************************

A young boy is curled up in the remains of what appears to be an old baby blanket. His friends have long forgotten about him, as they trick and treat throughout the streets of this small town. The child leans against the biggest pumpkin he can find in this garden, hoping in his heart, that this is the sincerest pumpkin patch. His eyes keep darting around, keeping watch for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.

Two children however,approach him to taunt him once more.

"Linus, says a boy by the name of Charlie Brown, every Hallowe'en you sit in a pumpkin patch, hoping for the Great Pumpkin to arrive and he never does."

"Yes Linus, you are an embaressment to all of our friends with this idiotic idea of yours." Says his older sister Lucy.

"Well this year, I'm not sharing my candy with you." "So forget it!" She taunts.

Linus just looks at them and whispers, "Leave, will you." " You might be scaring the Great Pumkin away!"

Both Charlie Brown and Lucy just laugh and walk away.

~~~~~~~~~~

As Linus starts to fall asleep, two ghostly figures appear, hidden behind a near by tree.

"Xena, what's a great Great Pumpkin?" asked a curious Gabrielle.

"I don't know Gabrielle, but it must be very important to this little boy, to want to stay here all night in the cold." Replied the warrior.

"Do you think we should help him?" A smile breaks over the bards face.

"I think we can do more then that Gabrielle." Thought the warrior.

"I believe the Great Pumpkin is going to rise in this pumpkin patch tonight."

The two figures disappear, in preparation for their plan.

As Linus lay sleeping in the pumpkin patch, Xena and Gabrielle returned. Carefully Xena picked up the sleeping boy, taking him home to a warm bed. It was then both her and Gabrielle entered his dreams.

It was such a beautiful day with the sun shining brightly. A warm breeze ever so gently made the leaves bounce. Overhead a hawk was searching for his breakfast. Outside an Amazon village, two women and a small boy cast their fishing lines into the river, hoping for a tasty treat of trout.

 

"Look Xena!" Linus called out. "I've got another fish!" "Do we have enough for lunch?" "I'm hungry."

Xena helped remove the fish while Gabrielle gathered up more wood for their campfire.

"I think four trout are plenty for lunch, don't you think, Gabrielle?" Xena asked proudly.

"I found some berries to eat afterwards, Xena." "Do you like berries, Linus?" The bard inquired.

"Oh yes, I do." Said Linus, with a big smile on his face. "This was such a good idea, to go fishing." "Can we do this again another day Xena?" A pleading look came over the small boys eyes.

"Yes we can, Linus." Replied the warrior. "Every Hallowe'en." "Just wait for us in the pumpkin patch."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the morning sun started to rise across the sky, a sleepy Linus woke up enough to see his two ghostly companions waving goodbye.

"Are you the Great Pumpkin, Xena?" His sleepy voice whispered.

"Yes I am, Linus." She stated with misty eyes.

"My gift to you, is not of candy, but the knowledge that when your friends desert you, I will always be with you."

With a small smile on his face, Linus went back to sleep to dream some more.

 

End.


Return to Main Page