Love at Long Last
 

BY

Sandie


Disclaimer: The characters of Xena, Gabrielle and Eve are not mine.  They belong to Renaissance Pictures, MCA, Studios USA, etc.  IÕm simply borrowing them for awhile.  This story contains spoilers from season five.

Sexual Disclaimer: This story deals with a deep, loving friendship which will eventually become much more.  Some very explicit scenes could be contained in this story.  If you are under 18 or if this type of thing is illegal where you live, stop reading now!  If the thought of a sexual relationship between two women bothers you, too bad.  YouÕre in the wrong place.

Thanks go out to Lynka for giving a first time writer a chance, and to ForevaXena for beta-reading this little endeavor of mine.


Xena was sitting, staring at the gorgeous features eyes of the bard, wondering ÔHow in the name of the gods am I ever going to show her how much she means to me.  How can I possibly explain to her the pain that I feel over killing her?  It was instinct, pure reaction.  How will she ever forgive me?  She has yet to remember those few horrible hours that to me seemed to last a lifetime.  Gods, I love her so much!  What will I do if she decides to leave?  I canÕt think about that now.  All I can think about is how to make it up to her.Õ

Gabrielle, who had been trying to concentrate on her scrolls, looked up to see a perplexed look on the face of the woman she had grown to love more than life itself.  She noticed a single tear running down the raven-haired beautyÕs cheek and reached up to brush it away.

Just at that moment, Xena realized that Gabrielle was looking at her and flinched as if just the touch of the bardÕs fingers would burn her.  Gabrielle got Òthe lookÓ on her face, sorrowful and full of hurt.  ÔWhatÕs going on?  Since when can I not even touch her?Õ wondered the bard.

ÒXena, whatÕs wrong?  And donÕt tell me nothing.  I know better, and we have been through too much to keep secrets from each other now.Ó  ÔMaybe sheÕs still upset that I tried to kill her daughter, but she knows that wasnÕt me, that was the furies, and she said that she forgave me, even though I havenÕt yet quite forgiven myself.  Gods, what am I going to do?Õ  Gabrielle realized at that moment that if she didnÕt soon tell Xena what she was thinking and feeling, she was going to drive herself crazy.

Xena looked at the hurt expression on her friendÕs face and decided that it was time to finally bare her soul, she just isnÕt sure of how to go about it.  ÒGabrielle, IÉÓ

ÒXena, I think we need to talkÉIÕm sorry, what were you going to say?Ó

ÒItÕs ok, Gabrielle, I think you just read my mind again. How do you do that anyway?Ó

ÒMust be a bard thing, or maybe it has something to do with being ArtemisÕs chosen for so long.  Who knows.Ó ÔOr maybe itÕs because IÕm so in love with you that I watch your every move.  I know what youÕre going to say before you do, because I recognize the shifts in your eyes, your bodyÉGods that body.  What am I thinking?  Get a grip girl!Õ  Gabrielle couldnÕt believe she was having these thoughts again.  What would Xena think of her?  She knew that Xena couldnÕt possibly think that after all this time she was still the innocent little girl from Potadaeia, but she really hadnÕt been able to get close in THAT way with anyone.

Xena thought that she had seen a look of desire cross over the bardÕs features, but dismissed it as wishful thinking.  After all, Gabrielle was very beautiful, and she had been the queen of the Amazons, surely she must have fulfilled some of her needs at some point.  Xena was sure that Gabrielle thought of her as nothing more than her best friend.  What could she possibly have to offer the bard?  DeathÉpainÉwhat would happen if she ever gave into her instincts again?  She had killed most of the Gods.

She was sure that Aphrodite would not be in a big hurry to help her after she had killed nearly her entire family; and Ares, well, Ares was no longer a god, having given up his godhood to save the lives of both Eve and Gabrielle.  For a brief moment she wondered what kind of trouble Ares was getting himself intoÉwait a minuteÉwhy should she care?  HeÕd been a pain in the ass for a long time, and just because he said that he loved her, there was no way she was going to start feeling sorry for him now.

ÒXena, like I said, we need to talk.  Do you think we could go somewhere a little more private?Ó, Gabrielle asked, motioning towards the form of XenaÕs sleeping daughter over in the corner of the cave.

ÒSure, just let me get us a blanket.  DonÕt want you catching your death out there in the cold.Ó  ÔGeez, what am I thinking?  Why donÕt I just come right out and say ÔGabrielle, I know that I killed you and everything, but I still am going to order you around.Õ  Like I have any right.Õ

******************

Once they finally found a nice, quiet place by the edge of a nearby stream, the two friends both started to talk at once again.  ÒGabrielle, IÉÓ  ÒXena, do youÉÓ

ÒGabrielle, I know youÕre the one who is the better of the two of us at talking, but do you mind if I go first?  ThereÕs something I really need to tell you, and if I wait, I may not.Ó  ÔWell, here goes everything.Õ  She thought for a moment and then just said it.  ÒGabrielle, I know youÕve been wondering what happened after you stabbed EveÉÓ

ÒXena, I donÕt know how many times I can apologize for thatÉÓ

ÒGab, just listen to me, o.k.?  I donÕt blame you for what happened.  I blame myself.  I should have noticed that something wasnÕt right.  Anyway, I walked into the room, and saw you standing there, and I just reacted.  I threw my chakram at youÉthere was so much bloodÉI didnÕt even think.  IÕm so sorry.  If you want to leave, I wouldnÕt blame you, but please just stop and think about what you would have done.Ó  With that last statement, Xena broke down into sobs, unable to hold them back any longer.

Gabrielle sat there, not blinking, not reacting.  She couldnÕt believe what she had heard.  ÒXena, you killed me?Ó

ÒGabrielle, IÕm so sorry.  If I had stopped to think, even for just a second, IÉÓ

Suddenly, Gabrielle came back to her senses.  ÒXena, IÕm not going to tell you that itÕs ok.  ItÕs notÉbut you have forgiven me for trying to kill your daughter, and you were just trying to protect her.  No, Xena, IÕm not going to leave youÉÓ  ÔHow could I, because I will never be able to live without you.Õ  She realized too late that she had spoken this last part aloud as well.  She looked up slowly into eyes staring so intently at her that she thought she might pass out from the rush of blood to her face.  She noticed, with much embarrassment, that the blood was also rushing to the center of her every desire.

ÒGabrielle, I know that you donÕt think that you could live without me, but you are much older and able to take care of yourself now.  You can handle yourself in a battle almost as well as I can.  Gods, there are some days that I think you could beat me in a fight.Ó

Well, thought Gabrielle, itÕs now or never.  ÒXena, thatÕs not quite what I meant.  I mean, <SIGH> I am totally and utterly in love with you.  I canÕt live without you because every moment spent away from you causes my heart to ache.  I have loved you for so long that I canÕt even remember when it started.  Please donÕt hate me.  I know that you donÕt feel the same way, but Xena, I just had to tell you.  I couldnÕt go on like this anymoreÉstealing glances at you when you werenÕt lookingÉwatching you while you sleepÉÓ

The rest of GabrielleÕs words were nothing more than muffled sounds as the warrior grabbed her and seized her lips in a kiss that threatened to burn them both alive.

Finally, as their lips parted, both of them sucking in some much needed air, Gabrielle noticed the beginning of a smile cross the warriorÕs features.

ÒGabrielle, you are my entire world.  I have wanted to do that for so long, but I was afraid.  Afraid you would reject me, or think me disgusting because IÕm a womanÉÓ

ÒXena, how could you ever possibly think that?  I was an Amazon Queen, remember?  Do you forget how many of my sisters were lovers?  Besides, how could I possibly reject you?  After all, you are and always will be the love of my life.Ó

With that said, she grabbed hold of the warrior and planted a firm and passionate kiss on her lips, allowing herself to release a tiny moan at the contact.  To her surprise, she found herself lying on her back with the warriorÕs body covering hers.  When she finally managed to pull away and catch her breath, she looked into the deep blue eyes of her soon to be lover, and was amazed at the desire and passion she saw there.

ÒGabrielle, are you sure that you want this.  If not, tell me now, because if I let this go much further, I may not be able to stop.Ó

ÒXena, I want this more than anything IÕve ever wanted in my whole lifeÉIÕm just not sure what to doÉÓ  She stopped when she saw another smile cross XenaÕs face.  She didnÕt want the warrior to laugh at her.  ÒXena, what is so funny?Ó

ÒNothing, my sweet bardÉI just thought that you must have come into contact with one of your Amazon sistersÉÓ

ÒNo, neverÉXena, IÕve never made love to anyoneÉÓ  Lowering her eyes in shame, she added, Ònot even Perdicus on our wedding night.  He was very kind and everything, but when I started to feel the heat rising, I closed my eyes, and all I could do was imagine that it was you.  I sort of put a complete stop on things when suddenly I moaned out your name.Ó  She blushed then, realizing how good it felt to finally say it out loud.

ÒGabrielle, IÉ if you will let me, I would like to be your first.  Let me teach youÉshow you what you do to meÉÓ

And with that Xena brought her lips to the dip in her lovers neck, just above the collarbone.  The response to this contact was a deep moan from the smaller woman.  ÒGods XenaÉthat feels so-o-o-o good.Ó  That was all the encouragement that Xena needed as she gently lowered Gabrielle onto her back.  Her fingers fumbled with the bardÕs top.  ÔThis would have been so much easier with the laces on that damn green top of hers, but this one is just so much more appealing,Õ she thought, releasing a slight chuckle.

Gabrielle just looked at her and asked, ÒWhatÕs with the chuckle, my dear warrior?  I didnÕt realize that this was supposed to be funny.Ó

ÒI was just thinking about your old green top and how much easier it would have been to removeÉbut, donÕt get me wrong, this one is VERY nice.Ó

ÒHere, let me help.Ó  With that, Gabrielle removed her clothing in the blink of an eye.  ÒNow, warrior, you are still wearing WAY too much.  I think IÕll remedy that right now.Ó  She removed XenaÕs leathers and shift with such ease and skill that the warrior gave her a strange look.  ÒHey, I may not have taken them off for this reason before, but I have helped you undress beforeÉbesides, IÕve dreamt about this moment for a long time, and now you are making my dreams come true.Ó

ÒAnd you, mine.  Now, where was I?Ó

ÒI think you were right about here,Ó said Gabrielle, pointing towards her newly exposed breasts.  ÒSo, shall we continue with my lessons, oh great warrior princess?Ó

ÒGabrielle,Ó growled the warrior, ÒI think I like this silly side of you.Ó

That growl went straight to the blondeÕs core, and when Xena touched her again she felt herself melting at her touch.  The warrior was bringing out feelings in her that she had only dreamed were possible.  ÒXena, please, I need to feel you,Ó she moaned.

That was all Xena needed to hear, and she brought her lips first to GabrielleÕs neck and then spread her kisses and hands lower to the smaller womanÕs breasts.  She took one nipple into her mouth, teasing it with her tongue, causing it to pucker.  Not wanting the other breast to feel neglected, she played with the nipple between her thumb and forefinger, arousing it as well.  She let her other hand draw small circles and lines along the bardÕs abdomen, down as far as the small patch of blond curls, where it came to rest.  She looked into GabrielleÕs eyes to make sure that this was what she really wanted.  All she got in return was a look, and a moaned Òplease.Ó

She let her lips trail down across GabrielleÕs stomach, and then to the inside of her thigh, where she licked, kissed, and nipped playfully, eliciting a whole new set of whimpers and moans from Gabrielle.  This only served to excite Xena even more.  She wrapped her lips around GabrielleÕs swollen bud and circled it with her tongue, while spreading the folds of her lovers sex with her fingers.  She inserted one finger into Gabrielle and found the thin lining that was the last of her virginity.  She didnÕt want to hurt her, so she very gently pushed through the lining and looked up to see a look of pain pass very quickly over GabrielleÕs face, to be replaced seconds later by a look of pure passion.  She inserted another finger and started a slow steady rhythm inside the bard.  It didnÕt take long to increase the pace, and GabrielleÕs hips began to rise off the blanket to meet her thrusts.

Gabrielle was starting to feel things she had only heard whispered about in the amazon village.  She was getting very warm all over, like she had had too much ale to drink.  Wave after wave of warmth were crashing over on top of one another, and then she lost all track of her thoughts as one giant wave of ecstasy overcame her, sending her body into uncontrollable tremors and shudders.  She found that she was having a hard time breathing, but as her breathing and her thoughts came back to her, she realized that she was crying and Xena was holding her tight, asking her if she was okay.  ÒIÕm fine.  I just have never felt anything like that in my whole life.  I think I actually went to Elysia for a minute there.Ó

Xena was so happy to find out that Gabrielle was all right, and was completely surprised to find herself being flipped onto her back with the bard straddling her.  A wicked smile crossed GabrielleÕs face as she said, ÒNow my warrior, itÕs payback time.  YouÕve heard the term paybackÕs a bitch right?Ó

***************

The two lovers spent the evening pleasuring each other in ways that they never thought possible, and when their bodies were too worn out to possibly do anything else, they lay in each otherÕs arms, staring into eyes hooded with exhaustion and desire.  Xena never knew it could be like this.  She had never loved anyone the way that she loved Gabrielle.  She had had many sexual partners in the past, but she now realized that she had never really loved any of them, not even Marcus or Lao Ma.  With that thought, she decided to ask the young Amazon queen a question that had been burning in her mind the entire night.  ÒGabrielle, I know that this is all very new to you, and I know that although we have both done things in the past that neither of us is proud of but, gods how do I say this, I love you more than life itself and would be honoured if you would join with me in an Amazon bonding ceremony, and allow me to be your consort, as well as your champion for all times.Ó

Gabrielle looked at her in shock.  She never expected those words to be coming out of XenaÕs mouth.  ÒOf course I will.  YouÕve made me the happiest woman in Greece.  I love you with every fibre of my being, and I would be honoured to marry you.Ó

ÒNo, Gabrielle, you are only the second happiest.  Now, come on, letÕs go back before our daughter wakes up and wonders where we are.  We wouldnÕt want her to come looking for us and find us like this.Ó

****************

Eve woke up just as the two women entered the cave and was puzzled by the looks on the faces of her mother and friend.  ÒMother, Gabrielle, whatÕs going on?Ó  They had been so quiet since their trip to Mt. Olympus, and she was beginning to think that things would never be the same as the way things were in the scrolls that Gabrielle had written.

ÒWell, Gabrielle, do you think we should tell her?Ó

ÒTell me what, mother?  Would somebody please, for EliÕs sake, please tell me whatÕs happening?  Where have you been?Ó

ÒEve, honey,Ó began Gabrielle, ÒI donÕt know how to tell you this.Ó  Eve suddenly thought that they were going to tell her that Gabrielle was leaving them.  She couldnÕt let that happen, not because of her.  ÒEve, your mother and I are going to be married.Ó

ÒOh, Mother, Gabrielle, IÕm so happy for you both.  When did this happen?  Why am I not surprised.  I could tell as soon as I met you, well, you know what I mean, that the two of you were in love.  I was really surprised that it took you both this long to figure it out.Ó

ÒWell, Eve, we have figured it out.  Now, you, Gabrielle and I will finally be a family.  Well, I donÕt know about you two, but I could really use some sleep.  Care to join me, my love?Ó

ÒSounds like Elysia, warrior mine.Ó

Eve smiled, content as she watched her two ÔMomsÕ head to their side of the cave together.  ÔItÕs about time.Õ she thought as she laid back down to sleep.

The two women laid their bedrolls down in the far corner of the cave, lay down together, and dreamed of the days to come.

TBC
************

Well, what did you think of this, my first ever fan fiction, or for that matter my first fiction of any kind.  Please let me know what you thought.  You can write to me at sandie8979@hotmail.com


Return to Main Page