Ms. O’Connor Goes to Washington

Part 4

S. Lee

Disclaimers: There is a consenting sexual relationship between two women in this installment of the story, so if this offends you or you are under the age of 18, please move along. The characters are mine, although they happen to look like our favorite duo.

Note to Readers: First of all, I want to apologize for taking so long to finish this part. Real life has just been a bear. The Chris and Kate characters in this story are very real, but they are six and three. That takes up much of my time and energy. However, future installments will come much quicker. In case you need a reminder about where we left off, Jordan had been rescued and Cynthia moved in. This installment takes place about a month later. As always, thank y’all for writing and encouraging me. It is very much appreciated. You can write me at s_lee_bard@hotmail.com.

June

It had been a month since Jordan’s accident. Her injuries were healing. She was on crutches and she was way ahead in the election. Jordan and her staff had been busy with television, newspaper, and magazine interviews. She was featured on national news shows. She had been portrayed as a hero, as a result of saving her cousin’s life. Her numbers were high. Offers from individuals to hold fundraisers were coming in. She was scheduled to appear on a TV newsmagazine and she decided to have Cynthia appear with her. Today however, was for her family. Her daughter was graduating from high school. She looked at this day with pride, enthusiasm, and sadness. Her little girl was graduating and would be leaving in a couple of months. Cynthia noticed the silence of her partner. She walked up behind Jordan as the tall woman sat in front of the mirror putting on her makeup. Cynthia wrapped her arms around her. "Penny for your thoughts."

Jordan smiled and put her hands over Cynthia’s arms. She turned around and placed a gentle kiss on Cynthia’s lips. "Our little girl is grown up."

Cynthia stroked Jordan’s cheek with the back of her hand. "I know. This is hard on you isn’t it?" Jordan gave a weak look.

"Yes. I was just thinking all day about when she was a baby. She was so beautiful. She was like a dream come true. She was everything I ever wanted in a little girl. She still is. She’s so special. She’s always been. She’s going to be leaving at the end of the summer. I feel like my heart is being ripped out." Cynthia tightened her hold on her lover.

"Honey. She’s so amazing because she had you for her mother. You’ll still see her even though she’ll be in Massachusetts. Do you have the ring for her?"

"Yes. I need to go give it to her. I’ve been putting it off. I’m trying to hold off on the tears as much as possible."

"It’ll be ok. Go give it to her." They shared a tight hug and Cynthia reached up to wipe a tear from Jordan’s face. Jordan smiled and left the room. She walked down the hall and tapped on Kate’s door.

"Come in." Jordan walked in and looked at her daughter. Kate looked beautiful in her soft white dress with pastel flowers. Jordan fought back the tears as she walked toward her daughter.

"You look beautiful."

Kate smiled sheepishly. "Thanks Mom." Jordan took the pearls from her daughter’s hand.

"Here let me help you with those." She fastened the clasp and stood amazed at the young woman in the mirror. "I have something for you." She handed the small box to Kate. Kate took the box and opened it revealing a half-carat diamond cluster ring.

"Oh, it’s the ring Nana gave you."

Jordan smiled and nodded her head. "That’s right. She gave it to me when I graduated from high school. I decided then and there that I would give it to my daughter when she graduated from high school. Someday, if and when you have a daughter, I hope you pass it on to her." Kate placed the ring on her finger and wrapped her arms around her mother tightly.

"Thank you. This means the world to me. I’ll take good care of it."

"I know you will. I am so proud of you. It’s hard to believe that you’re all grown up. To me, you’re still a little girl. I couldn’t have asked for a better daughter."

" I’m glad you’re here. I was so scared you wouldn’t be. I kept thinking while you were missing that I didn’t know what I would do or how I would get by without you. You’ve always been there. I’ve never thought about the possibility of you being gone. I love you Mom."

"I love you too. I’ll always be here for you regardless of where I am. Even if something had happened and I didn’t survive, I’d be here with you today."

They held each other and cried. Jordan pulled back and smiled at her daughter.

"We’ve got to stop this. Our makeup is going to be screwed up. Finish getting ready we have to leave soon."

"’K. " Jordan left her daughter’s room and Cynthia was waiting in the hall for her.

"Are you alright?"

She leaned down and placed a sweet, soft kiss on Cynthia’s lips. Jordan smiled sadly at her. "Yes. I’ll be fine. "

All of Jordan’s family sat together at the graduation. Cheers erupted from the group when Kate’s name was called and she walked across the stage. After the ceremony, everyone gathered at Jordan’s house for a barbecue. Jordan pouted because her Dad was at the grill. Cynthia smiled at the sight of Jordan frowning. She walked up to Jordan, kissed her cheek and put her arm around her.

"What’s the matter?"

"That’s my grill. I do the grilling." Cynthia laughed at her partner acting like a two-year-old.

"Honey, give up the grill just for today. I don’t think your Dad will have a problem with it. He’ll take good care of it."

Jordan insisted she could do everything even though she was on crutches. She finally gave up when her brother Travis caught her as she lost her balance while trying to prepare the grill. Everyone was having a great time. They were celebrating Kate’s graduation and Jordan’s safe return. After the barbecue was gone and the mess was cleaned up, everyone left and Kate was on her way to Six Flags in Arlington with her graduating class. Chris had gone out with one of his friends and would be gone all night. Jordan was sitting on the couch feeling quite gleeful. Being on crutches excused her from cleaning up. Cynthia walked over, sat down next to Jordan, and put her arms around her. Jordan turned to her lover, took her hand, lightly tasted Cynthia’s lips, and leaned in to whisper; "we’re all alone." Cynthia returned the grin. "I know."

"Well I think we should take advantage of this time, don’t you?"

Cynthia wrapped her arms around Jordan’s neck. She began to shower tiny kisses over Jordan’s sensitive flesh. Jordan moaned at the attention she was receiving. "Oh my God Cynthia. That feels so good." Cynthia soon found the spot just below Jordan’s ear and she let out a scream. "That’s not fair."

"You love it. I dare you to tell me you don’t."

"Careful darlin’, two can play that game."

Cynthia leaned in to capture her partner’s lips, when suddenly the tables turned and she found herself captured. Jordan pulled Cynthia onto her lap. Cynthia straddled Jordan’s hips. Jordan kissed her deeply, wrapping her arms tightly around her lover. "I need to have you Cynthia." Cynthia was so consumed by desire she could barely speak. She simply whispered, "yes." Jordan pulled Cynthia’s shirt open and buttons fell to the floor. She devoured Cynthia’s body with her mouth. Her tongue left a hot moist trail along Cynthia’s shoulders. She unclasped Cynthia’s bra and took her breasts. Cynthia ran her fingers through Jordan’s hair pulling her tightly against her. Jordan consumed Cynthia’s breasts as their bodies began to meld. Cynthia pulled Jordan’s shirt off and it landed across the room. She also rid Jordan of her bra. Jordan’s skin felt like fire to Cynthia. No words were exchanged, only sounds of passion and love. Jordan needed to be closer to Cynthia. She lifted Cynthia to her feet. Jordan pulled the rest of Cynthia’s clothes to the floor. She quickly brought Cynthia back to her lap. Her fingers found Cynthia’s slick center. Jordan smiled at her lover’s hardness. Jordan stroked her, reveling in the moans she heard. Cynthia let out a guttural cry when Jordan finally took her. Jordan loved Cynthia hard and fast, staking claim to her. Cynthia rode Jordan’s hand like it would be the last time. When she released, she let go of the pent up fear and pain of the weeks earlier. She cried out her climax and sobbed as she began to fall. Jordan held her tightly, stroking her hair.

"Shhh. It’s ok baby." Jordan held Cynthia tightly. Cynthia’s tears finally subsided. The two women were still locked together. Jordan pulled back and looked into her lover’s face.

"What’s wrong?"

Cynthia wiped her eyes. "I’m fine. Your plane crashed right after we made love the last time. Here I was on this incredible emotional high after making love to you for the first time in six years and then suddenly, there was the possibility of you being dead. I didn’t know if I’d ever see you again. This is the first time we’ve made love since the accident. So much has happened. I moved in, you’ve been recuperating, doing so many interviews. We had the graduation and party to plan. I was so busy, I think I pushed the emotions down to be able to get through all of the things happening around us. And now feeling you, having you so close to me, it just all came out, so to speak." Jordan smiled and gently stroked Cynthia’s face with the back of her hand.

"I understand honey. We’ve been dealing with so much lately. I wish I could say we were going to be able to slow down and settle into life together. But we both know that’s not going to happen for the next few months." She took Cynthia’s face between her hands and looked into her eyes. "Listen to me. I’m ok and we are going to have a very long life together. I’m not leaving you." She pressed her lips against Cynthia’s tightly, holding her close. "Come on. Let’s go to bed."

Cynthia put her arms around Jordan helping her to the bedroom. When they reached the bed, she lay Jordan down and removed the clothes that were remaining. Jordan pulled Cynthia on top of her. Their explorations continued as both women expressed their love and devotion through the night.

Late the next morning, Jordan opened her eyes to the light that was pouring into the room through the curtains. She looked down at the sleeping woman in her arms and squeezed her tightly. Cynthia cuddled tightly against Jordan’s body. Jordan smiled at her lover and began waking her gently. Cynthia opened her eyes and looked up at her partner.

"Good morning."

"Good morning to you Darlin’" Jordan reached down and kissed her softly.

"Last night was incredible." Jordan stroked Cynthia’s cheek.

"It was amazing. We need to get up though."

Cynthia pouted and protested. "No. I like where I am. I’m not moving all day."

"Would you like to have our staff meeting here in the bedroom?"

Cynthia thought for a moment. "That might be a little weird having everyone see us naked like this."

They got up and dressed sharing kisses and small touches. That afternoon the rest of the campaign staff showed up. Several more staff members had joined the campaign.

Laura began to go over the schedule for the next month

"We leave next week after the Pridefest here in San Antonio. You are going to be the Grand Marshall of the parade, but you knew that. From there, we are doing town meetings and block walking or something pretty much every day. You will also be in the parades in Houston, Austin, and Dallas. You also have several fundraiser dinners in Austin, Houston, Dallas, and McAllen. You’re spending a few days at the end of the month traveling with the President. The Governor will meet us at a couple of locations. This week we need to come up with a basic speech that we can tailor to whatever audience we are talking to. You’ll have interviews with the local press at nearly every stop. The news show will be meeting us on the 25th. You’ll have a weekly schedule to follow that will be more in depth. But you know how it is. There will also be spontaneous photo and media op’s. Cynthia is having a camera crew follow us to take footage for some commercials. "

Jordan smiled at Laura. "That sounds great. It sounds like we’re going to get plenty of coverage. Jim what do the funds look like?"

"We just received donations of $400,000 from EMILY’S List, $30,000 from the Stonewall Democrats, and $50,000 from the League of Women Voters. The campaign bus was a donation. We’ll have hotel and food costs for the trip. We should be able to raise money on the road to go towards that. So at this point, we have $2,543,226.89, but we need more. The ads that are going to start running will cost us. We’re going to have to pay the film crew that will be with you. Try to get as much free publicity as possible. The fact that you’re going to be traveling with the President is going to be great for you."

Jordan nodded her head in agreement. "Cynthia has some things she scheduled that have come up over the last couple of days."

Cynthia read off of her notes. "The Lesbian and Gay Rodeo will be in Ft. Worth at the end of July, they want Jordan to ride in the barrel race. It will be great publicity and you should be able to get some money out of it. Also, Tammy Johnson is having a benefit concert at Gruene Hall on the 4th of July for Jordan. In August, the Human Rights Campaign has decided to give Jordan half the proceeds from the annual Waltz Across Texas. You’ll be expected to be there and to speak, but that’s not a big deal."

Sarah looked at Jordan. "Tammy Johnson the singer?"

Jordan smiled. "Yes. She and I are old friends. I’ve known her since before I ran for any office. She and I wrote a few songs together and performed a little together years ago. Actually, I sang backup on her first couple of CD’s. We’ve kept in touch over the years."

"Wow. She’s one of my favorites. I didn’t know you sang with her. I’d love to meet her." Jordan smiled at the apparent crush of her staff member on her old friend.

"So it looks like we’re set for the month. Those of you, who will be running the office here in town, make sure all the major stuff is cleared through Jim and Sarah. But, y’all know that. It’s also time for the first debate. I’m going to publicly challenge Benson. I’d love the chance to go head to head against him. He is completely out of touch with the regular people of Texas. I want them to see that."

The week went by in a hurry. Everyone was getting ready to leave the next week. Jordan was speaking at the San Antonio Pridefest. A crowd was formed around the stage listening to her speak.

"It is time for the LGBT community to be taken more seriously. We need to unify. We are too split into our own groups. We are too small-minded in our exclusion of one another. We pay just as much in taxes and in many cases, more than most Americans. We are entitled to the same privileges and protections under the Constitution. It is not acceptable to be fired because of whom we love. It is not acceptable for our foreign-born partners to be deported because they cannot marry us legally. It is not acceptable to lose our homes because of whom we love. It is not acceptable to not be able to legally marry. We cannot make things change if we do not work together." The crowd cheered at her words. Later that night, she rode in a convertible Cadillac waving to the crowds. She couldn’t help but notice a small group of protestors carrying "religious" oriented signs. She would not let them damper her resolve or her mood. She knew that she would face more people like these throughout the campaign.

After the parade, a reporter from the local TV station was interviewing her.

"Ms. O’Connor, what do you think of this turnout?"

"It’s great to see so many people out and enjoying themselves. This is a great way for the community to get out and celebrate who we are and our diversity."

"Did you notice the protestors?"

"Yes I noticed a small group of people protesting. I don’t agree with them. I do however support their right to protest. Those people that are so vocal with their intolerant attitudes tend to shoot themselves in the foot so to speak. The more they talk, the less support people give them."

"Are you concerned that your presence here will affect your election?"

"No not really. I have never hidden my views. These are not my only views. I wanted to be here today to celebrate who I am. That is why we are here. Plus, I’ve been coming to Pridefest for years. It’s a lot of fun. "

Monday came and it was time for everyone to leave. Jordan and the main campaign people were riding in one bus. There was a crew on a second bus and a few people following in Jordan’s Range Rover. Everyone was excited. Jordan was going to start on I35 and move north. She had a rally on the steps of the Capital later that morning.

Hundreds of people came to hear Jordan speak about education, welfare, and economic trade. She had three interviews afterwards. She was stopping in Waco that afternoon and speaking at a benefit dinner in Dallas that evening She spoke on the failings of the welfare system.

"The current system we have does not work. The majority of people on welfare are working people with families to feed, and daycare and rent to pay. Wages are so low; people just do not make enough to support their families. What we need to do is to offer training that will make people more competitive, offer assistance so parents can get decent childcare, and raise the minimum wage. The Republicans don’t like to mandate a raise in minimum wages. They say that it isn’t fair to the small business owners. They think businesses should set their own wages. Laissez-faire business practices have proven to be unsuccessful. People are willing to work hard. Hard work and its virtues are what we are taught here in Texas. Unfortunately, the current system makes it more financially advantageous for people to stay at home. One of the first things I plan on doing is to sponsor a bill to raise minimum wages as a start to welfare reform." The crowd when Jordan talked about raising the minimum wage. She shook many hands and smiled until her face hurt.

As the days went on, the campaign came into full swing. She made two or three appearances a day. She spoke at barbecues, luncheons, and town meetings. She had coffee and cocktails with wealthy Democrats. She was bringing in more money, and more and more people were turning up to hear her speak. She was way ahead in the polls. Her opponent was holding his place behind. She had called for a debate, but he had not accepted the challenge. It came time for Jordan’s campaign to join the President. They were going to be traveling along with the President’s entourage. They met up in Beaumont, Texas, eighty-five miles East of Houston. Jordan smiled when she saw her friend and greeted her with open arms.

"Jess. It’s so good to see you." Jessica squeezed her tightly.

"It’s good to see you too Jordan. How’s the ankle?"

"I should be off the crutches in another week. You look gorgeous as always."

Jessica returned the compliment with a wink. "Thanks." She leaned in to whisper into Jordan’s ear, "you don’t look so bad yourself."

The two women shared a deep, brief look into eachother’s eyes. Cynthia joined them in greeting the President.

"Jessica. How are you?" Jessica smiled broadly at her friend.

"Exhausted from this campaign and sick of interviews, but otherwise not bad." The staff members continued to greet one another. Once in their hotel room, Jordan and Cynthia began to go through their bags for clothes for a private reception with Jessica and some high power democrats. Cynthia turned to Jordan.

"How well do you know Jessica?" Jordan looked a little surprised by Cynthia’s question. Cynthia didn’t know about the weekend she had spent with the President and Jordan didn’t want her to know.

"We’ve met various times over the last few years since she was a Senator. We’ve attended the same conferences and developed a friendship over the years. We have a lot in common."

"She didn’t mention how you knew each other when I worked for her. I was just wondering. The two of you seemed very familiar. " Cynthia noticed a strange look in her partner’s eyes. She felt that Jordan wasn’t telling her everything, but she wasn’t going to push the issue at the moment. Guilt over lying to her partner got the best of her. Jordan walked over to her and took her hands.

"Honey that wasn’t completely truthful. I don’t want to upset you. But I don’t want to lie to you. About five years ago, after you and I broke up and before she ran for the Presidency, Jess and I were both speaking at a women’s symposium in L.A. At the first reception, we began to talk and we hit it off. We later got together at her hotel room for dinner and drinks. I was in such bad shape after you and I split up. We talked very very late into the night and one thing led to another and we had sex. I cried and she held me. I needed comfort and she gave it to me. We ended up spending the weekend together. We have maintained a good friendship ever since. But, it is a platonic friendship. I wasn’t sure how to tell you since you worked for her."

Cynthia looked troubled. "I’m not sure what to say. I mean, you slept with a woman I worked for. You slept with the President for God’s sake. I’m not thrilled, but we were broken up. I really don’t have any right to give you grief over what you did while we were broken up. I appreciate you telling me. You’ve never lived like a nun. Hell, you’ve slept with half the women on the staff. Believe me, I don’t feel threatened by your sexuality. "

Jordan pulled Cynthia against her. "I’ve been with a lot of women, but I have never once been with anyone else while we were together. Once I met you, you have been the only thing in my heart. Regardless of whom I was with, you have been the only one for the last sixteen years. You have no reason to be threatened by my sleeping with Jessica. I love you Cyn." She emphasized her words with a long, slow, deep kiss.

As the entourage toured the state over the next few days, the rallies drew huge crowds cheering for the President, the Governor, and Jordan. The newsmagazine crew joined Jordan to follow her around for a few days and to interview her and Cynthia. A second crew followed her to collect footage for TV ads. While on Airforce One, the interviewer sat down with Jordan and Cynthia to talk about the candidacy and their lives.

"Ms. O’Connor, do you worry that your status as an open lesbian will hurt your career as a politician in a conservative state such as Texas?"

"It is something I have thought about. Serving the public is what I was meant to do and this is who I am. So I really have no choice."

"Why not stay in the closet?"

"That wouldn’t be fair to myself, to my constituents, nor to my family."

"Why are you so drawn to a political life with all its sacrifices?"

" I remember being interested in politics even when I was a little girl. I have always wanted to change the world. I’ve always felt compelled to make the world a more positive place."

"Aren’t you concerned about how your public life affects your kids?"

"Of course I am. I am a public figure and it hasn’t been easy for them to hear people say negative things about me. Before I run for any office, including this one, I discuss it with my children. If they were to ever come to me and ask me not to run, I wouldn’t. I have very strong children. They know who they are and who I am."

"Ms. Price, how do you feel about being a part of such a public relationship?"

"I resolved my issues with my sexuality years ago. Relationships aren’t easy whether they are same sex, in the public eye or not. This is the person I love, and that is all there is to it. We share the same goals of working to make this country a better place. Jordan wants and can do great things for Texas and the U.S. I am proud to be a part of her life and this campaign."

"The two of you met on a campaign of Jordan’s didn’t you?" Jordan smiled and took Cynthia’s hand.

"Yes. I was running for County Commissioner and she came on board to help with PR. She is a public relations genius. We fell in love on that campaign."

"You two also broke up for many years?"

"Yes. We’ve recently reconciled."

"Do you feel you have the right to a legal marriage?"

"Of course I do. I am a U. S. citizen. I pay taxes. Actually, I pay a lot in taxes. She and I are bound together financially and emotionally. I plan on spending the rest of my life with her. I should be able to marry the person I love."

"Is that one of the issues you plan on working on?

"It is a state by state issue. However, I will do what I can to support the issue. I will be damn sure to fight any measure to ban same-sex marriage."

"Do you two plan on getting married?"

Jordan looked over at Cynthia, smiling. "Well, we’re a little busy until November, but who knows after that." Jordan gave a quick wink to Cynthia. They all laughed.

" Getting back to your other policies, you’ve talked many times about your commitment to service. What are some of the issues that are most important to you?"

"I care most about women’s, children’s, and human rights issues."

"Is this why you went into the Peace Corps in the 1980’s?"

"Yes. It’s exactly the reason. I had done some marching, preached lots of liberal rhetoric. I felt it was time to actually physically do something rather than just prattle on about it."

"What were some of the things you did in Nicaragua?"

"I dug ditches, I taught, built houses, helped in the fields. I basically did what was needed of me. I still carry that with me. I want to help people with the things they need."

"What were some of the things you saw?"

Jordan’s face became very serious for a second as she briefly lost herself in her thoughts. "It was a beautiful country. The people in the village were loving, and so full of life. Dealing with the other issues, such as instability, drug lords, lack of police protection were hard. They have a completely different system there. It isn’t one you can trust. I saw cases of injustice and pain, the likes of which, I’ve never seen anywhere else."

"How did it change you?"

"It helped to solidify my commitment to human rights and social justice."

The interviewer wrapped up the interview. When they were alone, Cynthia looked at Jordan with concern. "What happened hon? You seemed to become pretty solemn when you talked about Nicaragua."

"I hope it wasn’t too noticeable. I just had a slight flashback."

"What happened is still so hard on you isn’t it?"

"I’ll never completely get over it. How do you get over something like that? It’s going to haunt me until the day I die."

Cynthia wrapped her arms tightly around Jordan. Jordan pulled out of the hug and wiped her eyes. "Thanks baby. We need to get ready. We’ll be stopping in San Antonio soon."

Jordan and the President were met with a huge crowd in front of the Alamo. Jordan stepped out waving to the crowd. The crowd cheered as she stepped out onto the podium.

"Hello San Antonio. It’s good to be home. I’ve been all over and there is no city I love more than this one. There is no place I love more than Texas. I grew up here and raised my kids here. I grew up being taught all of the values of being a Texan. I was taught to love and respect the land and the people. I was taught honor and loyalty and fairness. I was taught to be tough and strong but kind. These are the values of Texas. The Senate and this country need some of these values. It’s been a long time since there has been honesty and integrity in politics. I am here to represent the people of Texas. We’ll show those old stiffs in Washington just what we’re made of."

Cheers erupted as Jordan raised her arms in triumph. Later that night, the campaign workers and the President and her staff gathered at Jordan’s house. After dinner, the President, and a couple of staff members sat around the living room, talking and drinking wine.

"Jordan, you are doing such a great job. You have a charisma I haven’t seen for years." Jordan smiled at her friend.

"Thanks. I really do love it. I get a charge from hearing the cheers. I feel like this is what I am meant to do. This has been fun touring with you. It’s amazing how many more people come out to see us. I just really want to get Benson into a debate. I want the people to see just how inept and out of touch he is."

"Don’t worry. It’ll happen. He’ll shoot himself in the foot."

"Well, I can’t wait." Just then Jordan’s mobile phone rang. It was Laura calling.

"Jordan turn on the TV."

"What? What’s up?"

"Just turn on the TV." Jordan turned to Cynthia. "Honey turn on the TV."

"Which channel Laura?"

"Channel 12."

Jordan turned to Cynthia. "Turn it on channel 12 please."

They turned on the TV to see a group dressed up as chickens at a rally for Benson. The people were unidentifiable. They were wearing chicken costumes from head to toe carrying signs that said ‘Chicken Benson Won’t Debate’.

Jordan started laughing. "Oh my God. I can’t believe it." She looked at the picture closely. " I know those calves. That’s Chris."

Jessica looked closely. "How can you tell."

"He’s my kid. Plus, we have the same calves."

The room was laughing. Cynthia looked at Jordan. "Jordan this shouldn’t be a surprise. Do you remember when you were his age? You did that to harass a Republican Senate candidate. You’ve showed him the pictures."

"You know we’re going to have to deny any involvement. That makes us look bad to be a party to this. We don’t want it to look like we are harassing him at his own rallies. Thank God they were smart enough to be anonymous."

She picked up her phone to call her son.

"Chris"

"Hey Mom."

"I saw you on the news tonight. "

"I don’t know what you’re talking about."

"Don’t give me that Christopher Austin. I saw your legs."

"Well you did it when you were my age."

" I don’t care. Were you at least careful about your identities?"

"Yes Mom."

"I’m going to deny any involvement. If it comes out that you did it. I’m going to say I didn’t know about it and that you acted solely on your own."

"Ok, but he deserved it. It was hilarious and it brought attention to his refusal to debate you. Are you really mad?"

"No. How can I be mad? I set the example. You were just doing something I did myself. You’ve been out on the road without my supervision for about a month now. Is there anything else I need to know about? Have you been behaving yourself?"

"No there’s nothing else."

"Ok. Now please behave. I love you. Are you taking care of yourself?"

"Yes. I love you too. See you next week."

When Jordan hung up the phone, the room erupted in laughter. Jessica was almost rolling on the floor. Cynthia walked up to Jordan and wrapped her arms around her.

"What do you expect. He’s just like you."

Jessica was still laughing. "Now what is this about you and a chicken, Jordan?"

"When I was twenty-one or something, I was in Austin working for the Governor’s re-election. There was this candidate for the Senate. I can’t recall his name. Anyway, he was a really decent man whose headquarters were broken into. His opponent was the incumbent, Henry Bonilla. I don’t know if you remember him. One day I was answering phones and we got a call from the challenger’s office. They were getting people to dress up in chicken costumes to march in front of Bonilla’s offices. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. So we marched with picket signs in front of the offices because Bonilla wouldn’t debate. We ended up on the news all over the state. It was hilarious."

The President looked at Jordan. "Somehow Jordan, that doesn’t surprise me. I know how much you love the give the competition hell."

"Yeah and I’ve got a kid just like me." The President was getting ready to leave. As everyone was walking out, she pulled Jordan aside

"Jordan, I’ve enjoyed spending this time with you. It’s been great watching you. You know I sincerely want you to win. I need any support in the Senate I can get. If you do lose, I want you to join my cabinet as the Head of the Dept. of Labor. Elizabeth is leaving office at the end of this term. You’ll have to go through a confirmation hearing, but that shouldn’t be any problem for you. Basically, I like you. I want to work with you."

"Wow Jess. Thanks. Let me do some thinking on it. You’ll know the day after the election."

"That ‘ll do just fine. By the way, how is the convention speech coming along."

"I haven’t started it yet, too many things going on. But I have an idea of what I want to speak about."

Jessica smiled at her friend. "I know you’ll do a great job. You look happy. It looks like everything in your life is coming together."

"Yes. It seems so doesn’t it? I think this is the best time of my life. "

They shared a long embrace and the President walked out of the house.

After everyone else left, Jordan and Cynthia were getting ready for bed.

"You’re not going to believe what Jess said as she was leaving tonight."

"What is that my love?"

"She wants me to be the new Head of the Dept. of Labor if we don’t get elected."

"Wow."

"I know. That would be amazing. I’d honestly be thrilled to. I’d have to get through a Senate confirmation though."

"That could be a problem considering what happened in Latin America."

"I know that too. Things can still be hidden in a campaign. The confirmation hearings are a problem. They’ll interview people I went to middle school with. So we’ll just see what happens next."

They laid down together. Cynthia resumed her usual position, tucked against her lover, with her arm and leg across Jordan. Jordan loved times like this with just the two of them. Especially since quiet time was scarce.

Cynthia burrowed into Jordan. "It feels good to be here in our own bed. It also feels so good to be with you Cyn. Have I told you today how you are the most sexy, amazing, brilliant, perfect woman in the world and that I love you with all of my heart?" Cynthia smiled and looked up at her partner, kissing her soundly. "Nope you didn’t."

Jordan returned the affectionate gesture. "Ok. Just checking." She then turned over and pretended to go to sleep. Cynthia then tackled her, tickling her and laughing. "I can’t believe you just did that to me. You are such a tease."

Jordan turned Cynthia over onto her back. "Yes I am a tease, you love it and I love you very much."

The playful touches and giggles turned very serious, and passionate. Jordan softly sucked on her lover’s neck and kissed her lips. She held her hand behind Cynthia’s head pulling her closer. She lowered herself until she reached her partner’s stomach. She lifted Cynthia’s shirt slightly, moving her head under the shirt. Not able to see Jordan, Cynthia was lost in the feeling of soft, moist kisses on her stomach. Her breath caught at the attention paid to one of her most sensitive areas. Low moans escaped Cynthia as she felt her nipples captured between two teeth. Jordan then began to move lower and lower until she was hovering above Cynthia’s center. She pulled down Cynthia’s black lace panties. The aroma of her lover when she was aroused was like heaven to Jordan. Cynthia’s hips rose in anticipation of the attention she was about to receive. Jordan lowered her mouth to taste Cynthia’s wetness. Moaning at the ambrosia she found, she moved her lips deeper into Cynthia’s folds. She licked in circles around Cynthia’s clit, until sucking it in a steady rhythm. She moved her fingers inside her lover in time with her mouth. Cynthia’s hips rocked against Jordan’s head, pulling her in, whispering, "yes, yes." Jordan could feel Cynthia’s body become tense as she drew closer to her climax. Cynthia gave herself over to the waves of pleasure that began to rock her body. She moaned loudly as she came, pulling Jordan tightly against her center. As she fell back into herself, breathing heavily, she pulled Jordan up against her. Jordan loved the look in Cynthia’s eyes when she was satisfied. Jordan held her tightly, a light sweat glistening over their bodies. She smiled as she heard the steady rhythm of Cynthia’s breath as she slept against her. This feeling of pleasing the woman she loved and holding her afterward was far more powerful and satisfying than any orgasm Jordan could ever feel.

Cynthia woke up from her satiated sleep to hear Jordan’s breathing uneven and fast. Her body was twitching and sweating. She had a disturbed look on her face. She began calling out. "NO Maria Aye Dios Mio!" She sat up sobbing. Cynthia held her lover, rocking her back and forth.

"Shh. It’s ok baby. I’m here. We’re home."

"It was so real. I was back in Nicaragua. I saw her face so clearly and the men."

"I know baby. You’re going to be fine. After this is all over, I want you to see someone. You’ve buried this for far too long. It’s been twenty-five years and you are still having nightmares." Jordan nodded her head in agreement.

"I know. Tonight I just need you. I need peace and you give me that."

Cynthia wrapped her arms protectively around Jordan as they fell back asleep.

next part


Return to the Academy