Eternal Destiny

Part 6



After Ares vanished from inside the prison, Xena and Gabrielle pulled the furs tightly around them and quickly went to find Joxer and Amarice.

Once outside, Xena immediately spotted Amarice, who paced back and forth, and Joxer who sat on the ground twiddling his thumbs, who impatiently waited.

Joxer was the first to see Xena and Gabrielle emerge from the prison. He quickly jumped to his feet as he said, "What's going on? What is Ares doing in there?"

Amarice turned and looked at Joxer as she curiously asked, "Ares? Like the god of war Ares?"

Xena looked at Joxer and said, "Joxer, I'll explain it all to you on the way. Right now we have got to head towards Macedonia."

Amarice shook her head as she said, "Macedonia? That's at least a 2 days journey."

But Xena just shook her head in disagreement. "Not if we ride all night."

Joxer then looked at Gabrielle and asked, "What's going on? I mean, have you forgotten that you just, you know? Came back from the dead?"

Gabrielle shrugged her shoulders as Xena quickly answered, "No Joxer. We haven't forgotten. But Eli is more important right now."

Amarice's eyes widened as she she stepped forward. "You know what happened to Eli?"

  Xena looked at Amarice then glanced over to Joxer and nodded, "Callisto. That's what happened to Eli."

Joxer's eyes narrowed as he looked at Xena as if she had lost her mind. "Callisto? Callisto's dead."

But before Xena could answer, Amarice stuttered nervously. "Did, did you say Callisto?"

Xena nodded, "That's right." Xena then rolled her eyes as she said, "Oh yeah, I never got the chance to tell you about her."

Xena then paused to take a deep breath then as her tone became melancholy she explained. "Years ago my army attacked a small village, and . . . ."

Xena swallowed as she reluctantly continued. "Callisto's family was killed. Her mother and her sister. And now she wants revenge . . . Listen, I'll tell you all about it on the way."

But Amarice didn't answer. She simply stared off into space as her breathing became heavier and her throat dried very quickly. The young Amazon then shook off her blank stare and in a raspy voice said, "What uh? Where was she from? What was the name of the village?"

Xena looked at Amarice and firmly said, "Cirra!"

Amarice attempted to swallow but her throat was just too dry. As a chill climbed up Amairce's spine, she began to feel light head. Xena unaware of Amarce's reaction began to talk to Joxer. But Gabrielle had gazed over and noticed Amarice looked rather sick. Gabrielle took a few steps towards Amarice as a look of concern crossed the bard's face. "Amarice. Are you all right?"   

Amarice began to shake as she looked up at Gabrielle and nodded. "Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine." Then in an attempt to hide her reaction Amarice quickly followed up. "The Roman's left a couple of horses in the stables. I'll head over there, saddle 'em up and bring 'em back."

Amarice then quickly walked away as Joxer began to follow. "I'll help"

As they left, Gabrielle pulled the fur around her tightly as she gazed up at Xena. "Can we trust Ares to help us rescue Eli?"

Xena nodded. "We can trust Ares up until the point the Chakram is reformed, remerged or whatever. After that . . . we're on our own!"

A few hours later, from inside Ares' palace on mount Olympus, the god of war silently stared at an image of Xena, Gabrielle and the others  riding their way down the mountain and towards Macedonia.

As Ares watched on, a voice rang out in Are's chambers. "Don't you think you should be doing more than just watching Xena like a love sick teenager?"

Ares quickly turned around and saw Hades, god of the Underworld standing before him.

"Hades," Ares said with a bit of annoyance in his voice, "what are you doing here?"

Hades took a deep breath, and then in a concerned voice said,   'Oh, I think you know why I'm here."

Hades then slowly approached his nephew as he said, "The Chakram is still not reformed . . . and now Callisto has it."

Ares chuckled and in a sarcastic tone said, "Tell me something I don't know."

Hades shook his head. "We need the Chakram Ares. We need that weapon reformed. You've already cost us the power the Chakram would have had if we all had been bonded to it. We can't risk losing what little power it still has, Nor can we risk losing Xena's soul to, you know who!"

Ares looked at Hades and grinned. "Don't worry, I have a plan."

Hades nodded. "So do I . . . While I do owe Xena for the things she's helped me with, unlike you, I'm not willing to risk our downfall because of sentiment."

Ares glared at Hades for a moment, then in an angry voice said, "You touch her, and you'll wish that Callisto's master got to you instead of me . . . Xena is mine Hades. Not his, and not yours. She will rejoin me and sanctify our bond. Then, all of this, will mean nothing."

Hades silently looked at Ares for a moment. He then took a deep breath and asked, "And how do you plan on getting her to rejoin you Ares?"

"That's for me to know, and you to find out!"

Hades began to fume in anger as he said, "Fine, You can play these games. But just remember Ares, as much as we need Xena, he needs her much more than we do. if you get my drift?" Hades then waved his hand and disappeared, leaving an angry god of war to think about what Hades said.



to be continued . . .

Return to Main Page