Title – Colored With Denied Love

Disclaimer – I do not own them. I do own this fic.

Rating – PG

Warnings/Notes/Spoilers – No spoilers. Angst. Set in April 2009.

 

*

Colored With Denied Love

Spheeris1

 

It isn't unexpected.
She could see it in Olivia's eyes, heavy with champagne and with those unspoken things.

And she dropped the glass to not hear those unspoken things.
And she couldn't kiss him because of those unspoken things.

Those unspoken things - in a hand upon her shoulder, in a smile across the kitchen table, in a laugh and in some tears, in this house, in this room... All these unspoken things build up in Olivia's eyes.

Heavy with champagne, colored with denied love, Olivia stumbles in the darkness of Natalia's room.
And it isn't unexpected, none of this is unexpected.

"Are you awake?"

A whisper, a drunken whisper, and Natalia stays silent.
Because if she talks, she is lost.
But if she stays quiet, she is lost.

Heavy with champagne, colored with denied love, Olivia slides down and hits the mattress of Natalia's bed.
And it isn't unexpected. This is not unexpected.

Those unspoken things - in a gesture of kindness, in a dress hanging by the door, in the boxes on the table, in the photographs littered throughout the living room, in this house... in this room... All these unspoken things rest on Olivia's hands.

Heavy with champagne, colored with denied love, Olivia is slipping her arms around Natalia's waist and tugging them closer together, ship to shore or sun to horizon or a thousand other analogies for the inevitable.

And if Frank were looking enough to see, Natalia would tell him that he just gets in the way of moments like this.
And if Olivia were listening enough to hear, Natalia would tell her that she is just getting in the way of moments like this.
And if Natalia were courageous enough to move, she would turn around and hold Olivia as well.

"I love you."

A whisper. A drunken whisper.

And Natalia stays silent, breaks apart silently, shatters oh so quietly in the arms of who she wants and can't see having.

END

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page