A LEAP OF FAITH

Stein Willard
© 2022
________________________________________________

 

CHAPTER 1

 

THE MILKY WAY GALAXY

“Ambassador.”
Kuni looked up from the palmreader to fix her gaze on her assistant. “Yes.”
“I have the Empress for you.”
She nodded as she put the palmreader down and waited for the man to leave her onboard office before she activated the imager. A life-sized image of Solmiri appeared.
“Your Highness,” she greeted with a deep bow.
“Are we alone?” Kuni looked up to find her friend’s sapphire gaze sweeping the space. It took some getting used to seeing Solmiri with blue eyes, but it didn’t dim her joy for her friend. Finding one’s life mate was every Nouri’s ultimate dream.
“Yes, Your Highness.”
“Then let’s dispense with the formalities. How did it go? Did you manage to track her down?”
“I did.” As to how it went, she wasn’t sure herself. Robin Ford was the single most infuriating being she had ever met and even as much as they needed the geophysicist’s assistance, she secretly prayed the woman wouldn’t accept the offer.
“And?”
“She asked for time to consider the offer.”
“How much time?”
“Twenty-four hours. I have to meet her at the designated time.”
Solmiri shrugged. “That doesn’t sound bad. Thank you for your patience and for offering to do this. Having a high-ranking Nouri representative approaching her sends a good message.” Solmiri smirked. “Though, from what I’ve heard of the woman, I expected it to go much differently.”
Kuni pursed her lips. “Care to share?”
“Well, for one, she lives a hard, fast life with very few, if any, rules.”
“I did get that from my interaction with her. Anything else?”
Solmiri chuckled. “She also appears to adore female attention.”
No secret there.
“I can attest to that,” she admitted quietly.
A soft laugh came from Solmiri. “I assume she made a move and was quickly put in her place.”
Kuni hesitated. She couldn’t lie to her friend; moreover, she wouldn’t dare lie to her empress.
“Kuni?” Solmiri was studying her intently now. “What are you not telling me?”
Steeling herself, she met her friend’s eyes. “She had one request.”
“What is it? Money? She should know that money is not an object.”
“It’s not money, Solmiri.”
“Then what is it she wants?”
“She wants to spend one night with me in exchange for her help.”
The office was quiet as they stared at each other. Solmiri's shock was clear, as was the cold anger that followed.
“I hope you told her that that was out of the question.” When the silence stretched a nanosecond too long, Solmiri frowned. “You did tell her that you were not going to prostitute yourself for this, Kuni?”
“We need her help. She’s the only one who knows how to survive on the planet. Even with our vast technological advantage, we seem to fail at making any progress, Solmiri.”
“Still, I wouldn’t expect you to do this. We can find other ways.”
Kuni swallowed hard. She had fought with herself on this for the past two hours since her meeting with the human captain. Just like every Nouri, she was willing to lay her life down for the survival of the race. She actually had it easier than most of the others who had perished during their long journey to find a new home so the rest of them could live. One night with a stranger would cost her nothing. She had no mate waiting to be reunited with her, nor was she seeing anyone exclusively. Her reason for volunteering to do this derived from seeing her best friend falling deeper in love with her mate every day. She knew for a fact that she was happy for her friend, but it still hurt knowing that the same was not meant for her. And then there was the niggling curiosity she had about Solmiri’s mate. She had caught her friend on a few occasions watching her unsuspecting mate with undisguised hunger. It had made her wonder about humans and their sexual prowess. They didn’t appear on any rankings of the most passionate species in the galaxy, but knowing Solmiri and her ferocious appetite, there was something there. Robin Ford, too, exuded something that made her very curious.
“Kuni?” Open concern filtered through Solmiri’s voice. “Did you hear what I said? We can find another way.”
“I know, but we don’t have to. I want to do this.”
The blue eyes widened slightly. “You…you want to do this?”
“It’s just one night. Others have paid a much steeper price for Nourima.”
A mixed look of sadness and understanding flashed across Solmiri's beautiful face. “Just know, that if you find you can’t go through with it. You are still a proud and valued Nouri. This is not what I or anyone would ever ask of you.”
Her heart warmed with affection for her friend. She knew Solmiri well enough to understand the woman’s position on this. The Nouri were a proud people. They always find a way, and if there was none, they made one. “I know. Thank you, Solmiri.”
A moment passed before Solmiri finally pulled herself together and her invisible cloak of authority was donned.
“Keep me posted.”
“Yes, Your Highness.”
The image disappeared and Kuni threw herself back in her chair and closed her eyes.

***

“I see you’re moving up in the world.”
The voice, familiar but unwanted, made Robin stiffen slightly before she plastered a broad smile on her face and turned around on the barstool.
“Aunt Mari. What a disaster to bump into you here,” she called out cheerfully, drawing snickers from the patrons nearby. The woman’s face pulled into a mask of sheer dislike as she glared at her. “You look…alive.” Two large guards stepped forward and Robin steeled herself for what was to come.
The older woman glanced at her bodyguards, dismissing them before she nodded at the bartender, completely ignoring the barb. To Robin’s disgust, a clean glass with purple contents was placed before her. Marigold must still hold some clout here for her to be served in a clean glass.
“I saw you talking to that Nouri. It’s quite the upgrade from the riffraff you usually mingle with.”
The older woman was feigning nonchalance, but Robin could sense genuine curiosity. Unless she came out directly and asked, Robin wasn’t volunteering any information. Especially not to Marigold, of all people. Once she had finished school and enrolled in a university in Europe, her mother had told her of her life as an assassin for a now disbanded syndicate. Except for her and her aunt Norma, Lily had mentioned some of the surviving members of the group, and Marigold’s name had been amongst them. It specifically came with a warning to run in the opposite direction whenever she saw Marigold come her way. Her aunt Norma was helpful in adding that the goldfish she had once gifted her had, in actual fact, belonged to Marigold who had reluctantly gifted them to Robin.
Soon after the completion of her doctorate in Geo- and Eco physics, Robin had set off into space, eager to see what it had to offer. Her first ever bar fight, the result of her winning the attentions of the gorgeous Hibren escort of her competitor, had been in a bar on some outlawed hellhole. To her shock, the owner had been none other than Marigold. Older, more bitter but just as dangerous. Yet, Robin hadn’t run away. Instead, she had introduced herself to the flabbergasted woman and thanked her for the goldfish. That had set the tone of their engagement with each other. Unless they happened upon each other, as was the case right now, they both preferred to keep their distance. Marigold, because she knew that her mother and her aunt would murder her in her sleep should anything happen to her. Robin simply kept her distance, because she didn’t want to get the woman killed. Although she had trained with her mother and was quite good at taking care of herself, Robin preferred diplomacy and humor over violence. The world needed a whole lot more lovers and fewer barbarians.
“Why are the Nouri after you?”
Curiosity finally won out. She took a sip of her drink and shrugged.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She bit back a smile as the older woman gave her a cold glare.
“She came looking for you, why?”
“She didn’t say. I think it was a matter of mistaken identity.”
Marigold blinked slowly but returned her attention to her drink. “You probably know already, but I should warn you that the Nouri are not to be messed with.”
“Duly noted,” she replied with a fake smile. “Now, who do I have to thank for the honor of your presence?” The woman pursed her lips in displeasure. Something else that kept them on a somewhat civil footing was their business association. Marigold was always looking for the next big client for her side-business as a protection procurer and, in most cases, her rich clients were always in the market for rare, expensive merchandise. Over the past ten years, Robin had made a name for herself as a dealer, seller and consumer of rarities. She traveled to the places no-one wanted to visit, mined the most exquisite gems and minerals, as well as bedded the most gorgeous females in the galaxy. Everyone knew who she was.
“My client’s daughter is getting married and he’s looking for something unusual to gift her for her nuptials.”
“Unusual costs a pretty penny.”
Marigold exhaled noisily. “Make a price and I’ll let you know if you’re being ridiculous.”
“Fine. Give me until tomorrow morning. I’ll send you three options to choose from including their prices.” The older woman chuckled as she studied her over the rim of her glass. “What?”
“You didn’t even ask what he had in mind?”
“His daughter is female, isn’t she?” She shrugged. “I don’t want to brag, but I know women. Quite well, in fact.”
“Ah, I forgot about that little detail,” Marigold offered dryly as she finished her drink and left.
Robin returned to her drink and it didn’t take long before she caught the gaze of a beautiful Rumee. Her bright blue hair was cropped and her light-blue gaze was direct and inviting. She adored Rumees. They were daring in bed and quite insatiable. Yet, Robin couldn’t get her body to react to the invitation in the beautiful alien’s eyes. It was another set of green eyes that kept her rooted in place.

***

 Angela stepped out of the shower to find her mate sitting on the closed lid of the toilet, a pensive look on her face. Solmiri had resumed her rank of empress after their mating period had lapsed and Angela had quickly noticed that the playful, passionate woman she knew in the privacy of their suites, was vastly different from the empress. The woman was focused and shrewd when it came to matters of her rule. If she had found her appealing before, Angela was almost obsessed with the sexy, solemn side of her mate.
As was the case right now. Already dressed for bed and with her hair brushed out, Solmiri was a vision. She looked up at her and the sight of the brilliant blue gaze made her sex clench. Nothing affirmed her claim to Solmiri better than the blue shade of her eyes. Her and no one else.  She reached for a towel, but her mate stood and took it from her before she slowly began to dab at the wet skin.
“How was your trip?” she asked as she pressed a soft kiss to her lips. “Did you see your grandmother?”
The construction of a Galactic Security Council space station was in its final stages and would soon be transferred to the Vimt sector. Since the sector fell under her supervision, Angela had to visit the Geo-Engineering manufacturing yard orbiting Earth to inspect the structure. The space station would be housing the administrative staff, agents and their families. It wasn’t overly big, but Angela was pleased to find that it was large enough to accommodate the basic and some essential extravagant needs. Schools, houses of worship, restaurants, and other entertainment options were incorporated into the build. The hope was that more people would eventually migrate to the station and therefore there were various avenues for expansion. As it grows bigger, the presence of the Alliance in the sector might not only encourage unaligned worlds to join, but could also suppress the growing illegal activities on the galaxy rim.
Eti?”
She blinked and found Solmiri looking at her with concern. She smiled. “I was lost in thought for a moment. You asked if I’ve seen my grandmother. I went to see her so I could give her the crate of wine.” Her grandmother had been ecstatic with the gift after her first taste. The Nouri were very refined and almost everything about them reflected a quality of excellence. They wouldn’t embark on a venture unless they knew it would be a success. “She loved it and in return sent a recipe for a non-alcoholic sangria she wanted you to try.” Any mention of their unborn child brought tears to her grandmother’s eyes. Everyone was looking forward to the birth. Even Lord Bunq had shown a great interest in the child.
A warm look came over Solmiri’s face. “She loves you very much.”
“I love her, too.” She answered as she searched the bright blue eyes. “I can say with surety that she’s crazy about you too.”
“I do hope so,” Solmiri said as she tossed the towel aside.
“Hey, I’m not done with that yet,” she protested as she looked down at her front. She was still dripping wet. Her breath caught when Solmiri leaned forward and dragged her tongue across the droplets on her breasts. “Towels are so overrated anyway,” she croaked as she watched her nipple disappear between Solmiri’s lips. The sucking sensation made her clit jerk as she drew in a shaky breath.
“Spread your legs.”
She swallowed at the soft order and did as she was told. Solmiri’s hand gently cupped her sex as she began to grind the mound of her palm into her clit. When a slender finger tapped her entrance Angela threw her head back. How could she not have known before that she preferred the touch of a woman? It felt like a very long time ago since she had been with Howard, the memory having been pushed to the farthest recesses of her mind. Solmiri had made sure of that. She had effectively branded her with her touch, rendering Angela useless to anyone else.
“I’m going inside now.”
“Yes…please.” Angela barely recognized the breathless whimper as her own as she widened her stance further. The penetration, combined with the pressure on her clit, made her moan softly as she opened her eyes and sought out Solmiri’s. The sight of the blue eyes set her ablaze and Angela almost attacked her mate’s mouth in her eagerness to taste her. As they kissed hungrily, Angela pulled at the sash of Solmiri’s dressing gown and ran her hands possessively over the naked flesh underneath. As the other woman’s touch wreaked havoc on her senses, she rolled the stiff nipples between her fingers, feeling Solmiri’s legs buckle slightly under the assault. She was so responsive to her caresses, even something as light as touching her nipples.
“Oh,” she moaned when Solmiri added another finger to the fray. Her thrusts picked up pace and power and Angela knew that she wouldn’t last long. She never did. She slid her hand between Solmiri’s thighs reveling in the smooth skin she encountered and sought out the blonde’s straining clit. They must come together. She stroked through the slick lips and hardening nub as she fought hard to suppress her climax. Solmiri was panting loudly now as she neared her own end, her hips rolling sensually but miraculously, her hand didn’t break its rhythm. Angela held Solmiri’s gaze as her climax hit and she watched in fascination as the woman’s pupils dilated so far that it left only a sliver of blue when her own orgasm hit. They both shouted in exhilaration as their bodies strained and spasmed against each other.
Still a little dazed and on trembling legs, they stumbled over to the bed, giggling at their efforts to keep upright. Angela pulled Solmiri into her arms and closed her eyes as contentment switched to drowsiness. 
“Kuni found your friend.”
“Robin?”
“Yes.”
“Did she accept the offer?”
“In a way, I think. She wanted twenty-four hours to think about it.”
“That’s not an outright ‘no’. I’m sure she asked for an exorbitant amount.” Robin was like a big sister, the two of them having grown up together, but she also knew her ‘big sister’ well. Robbie knew how to exploit a situation and her love for money was legendary. Yet, she was worth every penny she asked. “I’m not saying this because of her relation to me, but I can assure you that whatever she asked, she’s more than worth it. Robin never disappoints and she always leaves her clients satisfied.”
“Strange that you should say that.”
Angela opened her eyes to look at Solmiri. “Why?”
The blonde had a strange look in her eyes. “She asked to spend one night with Kuni as payment.”
Bloody hell! She sighed deeply. “I did warn you that she is a bit unconventional.”
“That you did, eti.”

***

“You cannot be considering it. I’m sure Solmiri will not…”
“She tried to talk me out of it, Mother.”
The older woman nodded. “Then you should listen to your Empress.”
Kuni sighed. Her mother was still very much set in the old traditions, as were more than half of the Nouri. They forget that with Solmiri at the helm, things were changing. Look at who their Empress Consort was. An off-worlder. They were pushing toward a new era of being and their empress was heading the drive for this radical change.
“She understands why I want to do this.”
Enora’s eyes shot wide. “She allows it?”
“Reluctantly, yes. And just for the record, she doesn’t allow it, she understands why I feel that I need to do this. If the human is as good as she is believed to be, then she can give us the one thing we’ve all craved for decades.”
“A habitable planet?” Enora sneered.
“No, Mother. A home. A new Nourima where our children can run free and we can breathe clean air once again.”
The look in the older woman’s eyes deepened and Kuni could see that she had her mother’s full attention. Everyone, every Nouri, dreamed of having solid earth beneath their feet again. Three generations have been born as nomads and the strain has affected the mental wellbeing of many.
“And what about you?”
“What about me, Mother? Really? Since when has the welfare of Nourima been outweighed by the needs of one person? You always told me that if duty calls, it echoes with the voices of each of the 150 million Nouri.” She smiled at her mother, trying to assure the woman. “I’ve been called to duty and I hear the echo of the Nouri.”
Her mother blinked at the tears in her eyes and nodded. “You are truly your father’s daughter. The two of you always had the same outlook on life.”
“Thank you, Mother.”
“Be well, my love. Call me if you need me.”
“I will. Be well, Mother.”
She cut the feed and leaned back with a sigh. It was late and if she hoped to be clear-headed tomorrow, she had better get some sleep. Logging out of her personal journals, she left her office and nodded at the guard on her way to her quarters. It was only after she had taken a shower that she remembered that she had skipped dinner earlier and walked to the kitchen. She had been too preoccupied with the captain and her proposal. Although she had been propositioned before—too many times to remember—yet, it was the unpolished approach of the human that intrigued her. Looking back, she wasn’t sure what fascinated her more; the proposal or the look of desire in the captain’s captivating grey eyes. She almost wished it had been a leer, so she could cut the woman down with a sharp rebuke. Instead, to her mortification, she had momentarily been flattered by the human’s decision to forgo money for a night spent with her. A soft ringing drew her attention to the food generator and she removed her meal. Enough of the captain. She was a fool to read more into an impulsive request. Kuni had studied the woman carefully as she entered the tavern. The captain’s eyes had scouted the female patrons first, before ordering her drink. At this very moment, she was probably already in the arms of another female.

***

Even before she even opened her eyes, Robin knew that she would need help to get rid of the hangover. She hadn’t planned on drinking so much last night, but after her chat with Marigold, she had returned to her ship, hoping for an early night.
Robin rolled over and finally opened her eyes.
But then she couldn’t fall asleep. Sharp green eyes had kept her up. The woman fascinated her. Maybe even more than she desired her. Even with her mask on, showing only her eyes and mouth, Robin could tell that she had shocked the woman with her proposal.
But not as much as she had shocked herself.
The galaxy had women aplenty, but not enough money. How she could give up landing the biggest score in history to instead barter for a night with a woman whose face she hadn’t even seen, was utter madness. Was she still struggling from the aftereffects of the Pinorion gas she had inhaled on that Astro-belt, where she had been mining for chiller bits a week ago? The gas that was used to loosen the ore that contained the precious gem, produced hallucinations and delayed brain synapses after prolonged exposure. Perhaps that was what had happened last night. She had given up a solid payday for a roll in the hay. A sharp chirp turned her attention to the monitor on her bedside table and she activated it. She grimaced when Marigold’s face filled the screen.
“It’s almost noon and I’m still waiting.”
Oh crap! She shot out of bed and raked her hand over her face. “I’m on my way. I’ll meet you at the Grub in a few minutes.”
“Don’t forget to put on some clothes first.”
She glanced down at herself and frowned as she deactivated the monitor. She rarely slept naked. No matter how drunk she was, she did her evening ablutions and put on her pajamas. Boarding school routines were not easily forgotten even fourteen years later. That left only one other explanation as she looked at her hand.
The ambassador was getting to her.
Ten minutes later, she entered the noisy restaurant to find Marigold already waiting for her. The blonde smirked at her from over the rim of her coffee mug and ignoring her, Robin signaled the server for a coffee.
“What do you have?”
She pushed the palmreader over to the older woman and sat back as she waited for her coffee. A glance outside the dusty window almost made her gasp as she saw the tall, slender form of the masked Nouri ambassador walk past. She had two others with her and they all moved with a purposeful, but also, deadly grace. Her eyes lingered on the slim hips and long legs of the woman as she walked with her head high, looking straight ahead.
“The Nouri don’t fraternize with other lowly species. I’m just saying.”
Her head snapped back to Marigold and found her watching her with interest. She nodded at the palmreader.
“Found something you like?”
A manicured nail tapped on the screen. “This here? What is it?”
She turned the screen so she could see what the woman was referring to.
“It’s called chiller bits. They look like gold, but in fact, have a more diamond-like quality to them. They are used for jewelry, but are also highly valued as a power source on the planets around the Rim.” Marigold looked skeptical and Robin reached for the palmreader. Pressing a few buttons, she held it out to the woman and watch her eyes grow large with wonder.
“How much?”
“A lot. A whole lot.”
“I know for a fact that you hold two doctorates in highly specialized fields, and are not as stupid as you look so, why don’t you convert ‘a lot’ into numbers for me.”
She reached for her palmreader again and typed out a number that she showed to the woman.
“That…that’s a lot,” Marigold sputtered as her blue eyes held genuine shock.
Robin grinned. “I told you so. Now, would you like to look at the other options or are we done here?” Maybe she could still catch up to the Nouri if she left now.
“Give me a minute.” She left the table, most probably to call her client. That meant that Robin wouldn’t be able to see the Nouri again until later that evening. At least there was another opportunity to see her.

***

“Three ships have crossed into Alliance space, Commander.”
“On screen, Lieutenant.”
Three red dots could be seen crossing into the shaded area that represented Alliance space. “What are their energy signatures, Lieutenant?”
“Not ours, Commander.”
“Hail them.”
Angela didn’t take her eyes off the dots as she waited for confirmation of contact.
“They’re not responding, Commander, but the lead ship is charging weapons.”
“Shields and load weapons. Lieutenant Procter, prepare for evasive maneuvers.”
Of late, there had been more reports of trespassing and raids along the edge of the Alliance space as an influx of refugees fleeing the violence on unaligned planets had crossed into their space. It was this knowledge that made her hesitant to fire on any unfamiliar ships. The Alliance was an oasis of hope and peace for these people and she would hate for their first encounter with the Alliance to be violent.
“Hail them again.”
She watched the screen intently, noting that the ships were fast and moving purposefully toward them.
“Still no response, Commander.”
As much as she wanted to be welcoming, she wasn’t naïve to think that an ambush wasn’t a possibility. They were outnumbered three to one and should things go sideways, she would have her work cut out for her to make it to safety. The Cascade and the Ophelia, both GSC patrol ships, were too far away to come to their rescue.
“Fire a warning shot across their bow to get their attention.”
“Aye, Commander.”
She watched on screen as their torpedo went wide, as expected, but was effective in halting the advancing ships. Scant astronomical units separated them now as they engaged in a silent standoff.
“Hail them again, Lieutenant.”
“The two other ships are loading weapons too.”
“Red Alert. Shields at maximum.” The screen showed a displacement of air and she pursed her lips.
“They’re firing on us, Commander.”
“Evasive maneuvers, Lieutenant Proctor.”
“Aye, Commander.”
“Brace for contact.” This wasn’t what she had hoped to encounter today when she had left her mate’s warm embrace. Before the pilot could make a move, the oncoming torpedoes exploded just before they made contact with her ship.
“Lieutenant Mercer, what’s happening?”
“The three ships powered down their weapons. Six ships appeared out of nowhere, Commander. They were the ones who neutralized the torpedoes.
“Friendly?”
“Yes, Commander. They carry Nouri signatures.”
Angela pursed her lips. Solmiri!  She’d deal with her mate later. The three ships hung docile in space, obviously intimidated by the show of strength from the newcomers.
“Let’s see if they’ll answer our hail this time, Lieutenant.”
This time the screen flickered to show a frazzled-looking alien. He was sweating profusely.
“My name is Commander Angela Burkhouse. You are trespassing in Alliance space.”
“We mean you no harm, Commander.”
She frowned. “You have a strange way of showing that. Who do I have the honor of addressing?”
“Tetroc Van. We’re from Nespry. Our planet was invaded and we scattered in different directions to evade our attackers.” He looked behind him as if listening to something. “We have women and children onboard, Commander, and we hope to bring them to safety.”
“Considering the turmoil outside our space, we make it a point to inspect all ships to ensure that all refugees are healthy and not carrying any unidentified pathogens or dangerous stowaways aboard. Are you willing to allow us to board your vessels, Tetroc Van?”
“You are welcome to board our ships, Commander.”
“Thank you, Tetroc. We will bring medical personnel with us to assist with the injured if you require our services.”
“That would be greatly appreciated, Commander.”
“Prepare to be boarded.”

 

Available from Amazon

Author's Page

Return to the Academy