The Leader
Storm




Chapter 23


Before Gabrielle's eyes was a huge, marvelous garden with palms and hibiscus and several other exotic trees. Lilacs and roses of every colour perfumed the air. Crickets sang to the bright moon. Three paths, well lit by torches, went deeply from the door among the trees and the flowers.

Xena chuckled. "Breathe, Gabrielle," she suggested.

"It-it's beautiful..." the stunned woman whispered, taking a tentative step towards the Conqueror. "But how?... We're on the roof!"

"The last king of Corinth was a sentimental fool," Xena started explaining. "He used his money to build this hanging garden for his wife instead of buying good weapons for his army. I thanked him, after I defeated him."

"So all this... this was a gift of love?" Gabrielle looked around in wonder.

"Yes. The queen became ill and could hardly walk. Her rooms were in that tower," the Conqueror explained nodding towards a tower opposite to them, barely visible among the thick leaves. "She loved trees and birds so the king summoned the most famous architects from Babylon and built all this."

"It's incredible..."

"Come in. It can stand your weight, you know?" Xena teased, urging Gabrielle to follow her inside the garden.

The younger woman complied, watching in awe everything around them. "Where do the trees find the water to grow?" She asked, her curious nature finally taking control.

"There's a fountain over here," explained the Conqueror, taking another small path on her right.

"Here? A fountain... here?" The younger woman asked, stunned, following the taller woman. "It's impossible to lift water so high!"

"Few things are impossible when a one's mind works hard on them, Gabrielle. Look," Xena said, and moved farther down the path. A few steps ahead, in a little opening, a small octagonal fountain was gushing happily.

The blonde woman approached the fountain and, still incredulous, put her hand under the cool outflow. Then she turned towards the Conqueror, smiling brightly, exclaiming excited, "It's wonderful!"

"It is," Xena replied mirroring Gabrielle's smile and sitting on a nearby marble bench.

Gabrielle joined her. "Is this the reason why you always stay in the palace? Because you don't need to go outside when you need a peaceful place to rest... Because you can come here?"

"Actually a good ride relaxes me much more than a walk in this garden. Which reminds me... can you ride?"

The younger woman fearfully shook her head in denial. "Horses scare me, they're so big..."

"It's a sin..." Xena said in an excessively sad voice, and continued, a teasing gleam in her deep blue eyes, "I would have shown you a very special place... where I go when I want a break, when I need some moments of peace. I think I'm the only one who knows of its existence."

"Well, I could travel in a cart..." Gabrielle suggested after some moments.

The Conqueror sighed theatrically. "Nope. It's high in the hills, no cart could reach it. Too many stones on the path."

"Well, when the cart can't go any further, we could walk on," the blonde woman insisted.

Xena crossed her long legs at the ankles and ran her fingers through her raven hair. "It would take hours and you'd be so exhausted you wouldn't even notice the beauty of the place."

"Oh... okay then... I'm sorry," the blonde woman apologized slowly.

"Nevermind, Gabrielle, it's all right," Xena said dismissively, flashing her a dazzling smile.

"Thank you," the younger woman whispered, then started intently studying the marble. After a while, she suddenly turned towards Xena as to speak, then blushing looked away.

"Yes?" Xena asked innocently.

"Well, Xena, I was thinking... is this place really so beautiful?" Gabrielle started awkwardly, her curiosity finally besting her fear.

Gotcha! Xena exulted inwardly and calmly replied, "It is. It's a hidden valley, few miles past the Big Oak bridge. I use to go to a clearing near a waterfall and stay there for hours, listening to the waterfall and eating berries."

The blonde woman chewed her lower lip thoughtfully, "And does it take long to reach it from Corinth?"

Xena shrugged. "Some hours. It depends on how fast you travel." The younger woman seemed unconvinced and Xena explained, "Usually I ride fast until I reach the old outpost, then I change horses and slow down. After the bridge the path goes deep into the forest."

"I see. I think I could make it, if we'd take it easy enough and stop every once in a while to rest..." Gabrielle offered.

"Sure, but you said you can't ride..."

Gabrielle stared at the ground. "That's true, I can't ride, much less on a mountain." Then she suggested, hesitatingly, "Actually I wondered if maybe... I could ride with you..."

"Sure." Xena replied promptly.

"Uh? Really?" Gabrielle asked, wide-eyed.

"Yep," Xena nodded, smiling. The blonde woman shrieked in joy and threw her arms around the Conqueror's neck, babbling her thanks. Xena returned the embrace, while a goofy smile spread on her face.

"This is too good! When are we leaving?" The younger woman excitedly asked after a while, releasing the raven haired woman.

"The day after tomorrow, at dawn."

"Why not tomorrow?"

"Because yesterday it rained and it's better to wait for the sun to dry everything a bit," Xena explained.

"The day after tomorrow then. That's great! You don't know how thankful I am for this. I mean, for sharing your secret with me, for allowing me to ride with you, even if it's uncomfortable for you and..."

Xena stopped the flow of words with a wave of her hand. "No, Gabrielle, I thank you."

"Me? What for?"

"For being my friend."

"My pleasure," the younger woman replied, proudly. Xena lifted an eyebrow in mock skepticism and Gabrielle insisted, "I mean it! I wanted it for so long, and now it's happening. I felt there had to be a heart behind that icy mask of yours, and now I can see it."

"Well, I can't imagine why what you see doesn't scare you to death," Xena started.

Gabrielle rolled her eyes and started replyingto protest Xena's self criticism when something caught her eye.

"Hey, look! A falling star!" she exclaimed.

"Where?"

"Over there, close to that... that bear." The blonde woman indicated a point in the clear sky above them.

"A bear? How do you get a bear?" Xena asked teasingly.

"Sure! What else could it be? Look... look, there's the body, look see the little ears, and tail."

"It rather looks like a big dipper."

"A dipper?"

"Yeah, you know, like one of those cups that you draw water out of a bucket."

"Nah, too simple. Why should the gods put a dipper in the sky? While the bear might have done something to deserve it," Gabrielle mused.

"Well, you're the bard here." Xena agreed. "You saw the star. Make a wish."

"No need. My wish is already coming true," the blonde woman said, smiling.

"Mine, too," Xena whispered, and lifted her head to watch the stars shining above them.

Gabrielle did the same and slowly leaned her head against Xena's shoulder, sighing happily. That simple act of trust and intimacy deeply touched the Conqueror. How did I manage to live without the luxury of a friend for so long, she wondered. With her arm she circled the small woman's shoulders and completely relaxed in the embrace. Finally, after so many years, she felt at home.

Meanwhile, a man hidden in the darkness a few steps away, silently left, unnoticed.

_____________________________

"Ephiny, wake up! Hurry!" Perdicus yelled bursting in the bedroom.

"Uh? What... Perdicus, are we under attack?" The Amazon scrambled to her feet while reaching for her sword.

"No, thank the gods."

"Then why in Tartarus are you waking me up like this? You took ten years off my life!" She replied, letting herself sit back on the bed.

"Gar is here. He has news about Gabrielle," the man explained excitedly.

"It's about time. Give me a minute to put some decent clothes on, and I'll be there."

Only then Perdicus noticed that Ephiny wore nothing but her nightshirt, and he blushed furiously. He turned towards the door and, babbling some incoherent apology, left the room. The Amazon shook her head. "Men..." she thought, got dressed as fast as she could while trying to dispel the last remnants of sleep from her mind, then joined the others in the main room. Eponin was sitting at the table with Gar and Melas, Ipheus was poking the fire while Perdicus was pacing nervously back and forth. Solari entered the room rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Ok. It seems we're all here. You can start," Perdicus addressed Gar as soon as Ephiny arrived.

"All right. As you know, when I asked for a job in the palace, they immediately hired me and put me to work in the castle's forge. We do everything, from horseshoes to swords, and we're busy from dawn to sunset. I had little time to look for Gabrielle and all that I knew about her or the Conqueror was what I heard from the servants' gossip. And that wasn't much. I heard Xena sentenced Gabrielle to death and that she had her jailed in a room."

"You already told us that, Gar." Perdicus interrupted.

"Let me talk, will ya? Being the youngest in the forge they always order me around, let me do all the cleaning, and have me make all the deliveries after the job is done. So I'm always the last to finish the day. This evening I had to deliver several quivers and arrows to the guards on the walls and, man, the walls are long! So after I finished I took one of the shortcuts I discovered to go back faster to my room. Well, this shortcut crosses the Conqueror's private garden on the roof so I'm very careful. You know, a blacksmith isn't supposed to be there without a reason. Actually only Xena and her servants can go there, so it's really dangerous, but I was really exhausted and wanted to get to my pallet as soon as possible. I was halfway through the garden when I saw one of the doors open, and the Conqueror come out, smiling. I cursed my bad luck, damn, she seldom goes there, of all the nights she would choose! Well, in the night the paths of the garden are lit by torches so there are several places hidden in the shadows. I chose the closest of these, prayed to all the gods to protect me and jumped behind a very thick bush, holding my breath. I was scared to death, sure she'd find me, and she came straight towards me! But then I see she's not alone, Gabrielle is with her and that probably saved me. Xena was too focused on Gab to see me."

"Was Xena hurting her?" Ephiny interrupted, concerned.

"Not hardly! They were having a great time! Gab wasn't even chained. They came and sit on a bench a few steps away from my hiding place. They were facing the fountain and not looking in my direction, but I could hear almost all they said."

"And?" Ipheus prompted.

"And Gabrielle was impressed with the garden, and Xena said she has a better place when she wants to relax and offered to show it to Gab."

"Don't tell me-- she accepted." Melas groaned.

"She did, but was afraid of riding, so she asked to ride with Xena."

"What?" The rebels asked in unison.

"You heard me."

"That's it. She's crossed the line. She's not one of us anymore." Ipheus said sadly.

"I told you! She and all her babbling about helping Xena! It's a miracle she hasn't delivered us to her friend yet!" Melas slammed his fist on the table.

"Now calm down, Melas. Gar, are you sure? What else did you hear?" Solari intervened.

"I'm sure she asked to ride with Xena, and Xena was happy to comply. Then I heard Gab say she was proud to be her friend, and be able to see Xena's heart. She snuggled in Xena's arms and while they were watching the falling stars I left as silently as possible." Everyone's jaw dropped.

"This... this is a nonsense." Perdicus muttered, pale as a rag. "There's no way that my Gabby would... would snuggle in the arms of that monster!"

"Sorry, Perd, but I saw her with my own eyes!"

"Here! Do you need any other proof? She betrayed us." Melas exclaimed, his voice dripping contempt.

"Now wait a minute, Melas. We don't know for sure. After all she was trying to talk Xena into changing. Maybe they've really become friends," Eponin suggested.

"Or maybe Xena talked Gabrielle into changing..." Ipheus retorted.

"C'mon, it can't be!" Eponin exclaimed.

"Are you sure? Anyway, being friends with that monster is perfectly useless for us," Melas added, and everyone started arguing on that. Only Ephiny was silent, shocked by the news.

At last Solari addressed her. "Ephiny, what do you think?"

"I think that if someone can change Xena it's Gabrielle." She replied.

"But hearing of the intimacy between the two of them makes you doubt, doesn't it?" Melas insisted.

"We don't know, Melas. Maybe Gabrielle is succeeding. After all nobody has ever seen the Conqueror acting like that..." the Amazon suggested.

"Oh, come on, she acted like that several times! In fact she did it every time she wanted to seduce an enemy!" The thin man retorted.

"We have no proof of this. In my opinion we should wait and see what happens," Ephiny insisted.

"And in my opinion we should profit from their little ride. Are they going alone, Gar?" Melas asked again.

"Well, yes. This place is supposed to stay secret."

"Oh, how sweet..." Melas rolled his eyes in disgust.

"And did you hear where it is?" Solari asked.

"She wouldn't tell. But she said it's somewhere in the hills, near a waterfall after the Big Oak bridge."

"Can't you see it? This is the chance we've been waiting for! The bridge is the perfect place for an ambush. It will be just the two of them against us and all the rebels we can gather!" Melas explained animatedly.

"Melas, not all of us are fighters, and Xena is the best warrior in the world. It won't work," Perdicus said.

"It will, if she's as distracted as she was tonight. She didn't notice Gar! She won't notice us, until it's too late."

"Melas is right, it could work," Eponin agreed.

"Are you forgetting they'll ride on the same horse? We could hurt Gabrielle." Ephiny said, worried.

Melas fixed his iciest glance in the Amazon's eyes. "We'll try not to, Ephiny. But remember that she chose that. Nobody forced her. If it happens I'll cry for her, but I'm ready to sacrifice everyone for our success. The cause is too important and must always come first." A deadly silence fell in the room. After a while Melas added, with a softer voice, "I'm sorry, but after all when will another opportunity like this happen again?"

"He's right, Eph." Eponin whispered sadly. "Maybe Gabrielle is succeeding, but maybe Xena is... We don't know either way, but we can't let this opportunity pass."

Ephiny looked every friend in the eye and saw the same decision. "Do what you want, I won't join you in this madness," she said at last.

"But we need you, Ephiny. You're the best of us!" Solari pleaded.

"And yet Xena could break me with a single hand. I'll be there, but only to try to cover your retreat."

"There will be no retreat, because we'll kill her!" Melas exclaimed. "Gar, when are they leaving?"

"The day after tomorrow, at dawn."

"Fine. Tomorrow you, Perdicus, gather your friends at the tavern and you, Eponin, see if you can assemble the other Amazons. We'll leave tomorrow afternoon in small groups, to avoid suspicion," the thin man instructed.

"I'll try to, but it will be hard to gather the others with such little time," Eponin said skeptically.

"Do what you can. Meanwhile we'll devise a plan," Melas said, and started enumerating the possible options.

Oh, Gabrielle, what are we doing? Ephiny thought, and it took all of her warrior training not to cry hearing of the deadly ideas her friends were proposing.


Chapter 24





It was nearly dawn and the corridors of the castle were almost deserted but for the few servants who had already begun their long labour day. An armored and proud looking woman hastily left the royal rooms. Holding their breath, slaves and guards who met her respectfully and hurriedly moved away from the silent ruler's path, trying to camouflage themselves with the furniture. But this morning Xena's mood was cheerful as seldom before and, to their extreme relief, she didn't pay attention to the trembling people she passed. She had finally found a friend with whom to share her secret shelter and in her heart she could feel a new warmth growing. It's strange, I feel like I'm going back in time, the Conqueror thought, smiling at the memory. It seems like when I used to go hunting with Lyceus. It was just the two of us and the forest. And it was all so peaceful...

Absorbed in her thoughts, she reached Gabrielle's new room and waved away the guard standing at attention there. Xena shook her head while watching the soldier leave. The blonde woman wasn't a prisoner anymore, but the Conqueror had to keep up appearances to save her own scary reputation. Even today's ride had to look like another wicked game she was playing on the captive, in the eyes of her men. She sighed, knowing she couldn't change this, and knocked.

Immediately Gabrielle's voice was heard, "Come in."

"Good morning Gabrielle. Ready to go?" Xena asked happily, poking her head in.

"Yes, more than ready! I'm so excited!" the younger woman replied, smiling broadly.

"Fine. Let's go."

The two women left the room, Xena leading the way while Gabrielle incessantly chatted about how curious she was to see this mysterious place and the hills surrounding Corinth. Then she noticed that Xena was wearing her usual black armor.

"Xena, are you going to wear your armor even today?" She asked with a frown.

"Yes, why?" The Conqueror replied casually.

"But... isn't it uncomfortable? I mean, this is a day off for you, and it's August. Wouldn't a linen dress keep you cooler?"

"Maybe. But I'm so used to this armor that it's almost a second skin to me, and I really don't notice it anymore. Besides, I haven't become the ruler of the world taking unnecessary chances."

In that moment they reached the stables and a stableboy immediately approached them, holding the reins of a white mare. Her mane had been freshly brushed and the saddle was shining. It was the most beautiful horse that Gabrielle had ever seen, but probably also the biggest, and the young woman paled.

"Are we going to ride that?" she asked, concern evident in her voice.

"Yes, any problems?"

"Well, it's much bigger than I thought..."

Xena laughed, "Don't worry, it's a perfectly normal horse." Then she addressed the boy. "The supplies?"

"They're all in the saddlebags as you instructed, my liege." He respectfully replied.

"Good job. You may leave." The Conqueror dismissed the stableboy, flipping him a golden coin. The boy's eyes widened in surprise, and he left, bowing and thanking Xena profusely.

"Front or back?"

"What?" Gabrielle asked, puzzled.

"Do you prefer to ride in front or back?" Xena explained.

"Oh, that. Umm..." the blonde woman gave it a few moment's thought. "Back I guess... I can hang on you better from there."

"Okay. But I assure you, you're safe either way." The raven haired woman jumped on the horse with an elegant leap, then smiling extended her hand to Gabrielle.

"I know." She replied, smiling, and let the stronger woman help her up onto the horse. She fiercely hugged the Conqueror at the waist and hesitantly let her eyes follow Xena's muscular thigh, then the booted leg, and from there she glanced down to the ground, afraid to find out that it was a mile away. Gasping in surprise, she thought, it doesn't seem so high after all. Gabrielle tentatively leaned her blonde head on Xena's shoulder. She could feel her warm, solid back through the scenty leather of the armor. The confident ease with which the Conqueror controlled the horse was reassuring and, for the first time in her life, Gabrielle felt absolutely safe on a horse.

Xena patiently waited for Gabrielle to get accustomed to the horse, then, sensing the younger woman's body relax against hers, she smiled and let the mare move at a slow canter. Once outside the castle, she slowly accelerated, until they galloped through the city gates.

_____________________________

"Here they are!" Eponin said with relief, as she saw the horses on the path to the small bridge.

"Yes, but they're only five!" Melas observed. "Where are the others?"

"Probably half a candlemark behind them. If they traveled all together they'd raise suspicions. This road isn't well traveled."

"That's true. Let's only hope they'll arrive in time. Xena should be here soon." The thin man looked at the small outpost on the hill above the bridge and sighed. "How I would like to be there! We could spot the bitch when she's still miles away!"

"Staying here is risky enough. If they see us..." Ephiny said, approaching the two rebels.

"Nah, the trees hide us. We're safe, relax." Melas retorted.

"Now. But they'll see you when you attack. You'll have really little time before the soldiers come to rescue Xena," the curly haired Amazon reasoned. "As if Xena ever needed to be rescued..."

"They're up there. It'll take some minutes for them to saddle the horses and ride down here. By that time it'll be over already. Come on, Perdicus is almost here," the thin man said, signaling the others to follow him back to the small clearing he had chosen as the meeting point. The small group of riders crossed the bridge and cantered down the path for some minutes until the trees hid them from the outpost's sentries' view. Then they entered the forest and went back to the clearing where the other rebels were waiting for them.

"Here we are!" Perdicus exclaimed dismounting his horse and clasping Melas' forearm in salute.

"Welcome, everyone," the new leader said, "any problems on the road?"

"Nope. All clear."

"Good. So we just have to wait for the others."

"Actually there are no others, Melas. It's only the five of us," Perdicas explained.

"Only you? How? Why?" Ephiny interjected.

"Antonius, Lara and their sons are in Athens for their job. Thalus' father died in Sparta a few days ago so he left with his family and won't be back until tomorrow. Julian, Howar, and Miryam are at the summer festival in Crete and there was no way to reach them in time."

"Okay, okay, I get the picture," Melas said, nervously running his fingers through his hair. His confidence was starting to falter.

"Damn!" Ephiny cursed. "You're too few, Melas. You can't hope to succeed. You have to give up."

"No!" Perdicas exclaimed. "This is our only opportunity. We have to try no matter what!"

"I agree." Ipheus said. "Since we're here, we have to try. We'll never have another chance like this. There are still twelve of us and Xena is alone, for Zeus' sake!"

Melas surveyed his friends with his eyes. Except for Ephiny they all nodded, some vigorously, others with some uncertainty. "Fine then. Let's get ready. Xena should be here soon. Ipheus, show Perdicas and the others their positions."

As everyone dispersed, Ephiny approached Melas and frowning, hissed, "I truly hope you're right, because if you aren't, we're all dead-- Gab included." Shaking her head, she angrily walked away, not waiting for a reply.

_____________________________

"It's wonderful!" Gabrielle exclaimed, watching the valley opening before her eyes. Huge oaks covered the flanks of the hills and the green of their leafs sharply contrasted with the lively blue of the sky and the white of the occasional puffy cloud. A rainbow stretched itself from a faraway waterfall to the sky, as if creating a bridge between two worlds. If it weren't for a man working on his mount's shoes several yards ahead of them on the path, Gabrielle could have said this was a picture.

Xena chuckled, "This is nothing. Wait and you'll see."

"It can't be more beautiful than this," the blonde woman whispered in awe, "it just can't. It's breathtaking." She heard Xena sighing almost imperceptibly. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing. It's just that... you noticed this beauty right away, Gabrielle, while it took me months. I passed this valley to and fro with my armies, several times, and it has always been this beautiful. But I only paid attention to the danger it creates for ambushes. I wonder how many beautiful places like this I didn't pay attention to," she finished in a whisper, "I wish I could be as open to the world as you."

Gabrielle's arms tightened around the Conqueror's waist, she leaned her head on Xena's shoulder and said, smiling, "You can't be like me, you rule the world. I can be open, I have nothing to fear, while you... well, you can't afford to let your guard down for a moment. But I promise: from now on, when you're be too busy or too focused to notice the beauty of a sunset or of a flower, or of a landscape, I'll be there and I'll tell you, and we'll share it. From now on you won't miss a thing. What do you think?"

"I like it," Xena replied, "I don't want to miss a thing." And smiling, urged her horse forward on the path, relishing the feeling of Gabrielle's body against hers. The man on the path had already mounted his horse and was galloping towards the bridge as fast as he could.

_____________________________

"They're here!" Ipheus said excitedly, dismounting from his horse.

"Are you sure?" Melas asked.

"Yep. I saw them at the entrance of the valley. They should be at the outpost by now."

"Fine. Everybody, take your positions!" the thin man instructed. "Darius, prepare the cart. Get ready to move at Solari's signal."

"Don't worry, I know what to do," the boy nodded.

The rebels took their assigned positions and started watching the path from the outpost to the bridge, silently waiting for their victim. Each of them knew this wasn't like posting speeches or hiding harvest from the tax collectors. Beads of sweat formed on their foreheads as they anticipated the most dangerous action of their lives. Moments stretched into minutes, and still nobody appeared on the path. Melas questioned Ipheus with a glance.

The advance scout shrugged and whispered, "It was them. Don't know what they're doing, but they'll come. They have to."

"I hope so," the other replied, looking back at the path.

"Here they are!" Ipheus whispered after some moments, indicating the women appearing just then up on the path. "They were changing horses."

Melas nodded silently and swallowed nervously. Eponin and the others clutched reflexively the hilt of their swords and waited, holding their breaths. The horse was slowly approaching the bridge, and they could almost hear Gabrielle's voice chatting happily.

"Are you sure you're comfortable?" she was saying.

"I am, I told you."

"Really? It's hot, and I've been holding to you for hours... your leather must be soaked."

"I'm fine." Xena smiled.

"Well we could have a bath in that stream," Gabrielle said, indicating the stream gushing under the bridge they were crossing, "not too close to the road, obviously."

In that moment Xena tensed suddenly, her eyes scanning the forest.

"Hey, it was just an idea, we don't have to..." Gabrielle promptly said, sensing the Conqueror's change of attitude.

"It's not what you said," the raven haired woman hissed.

"Then what? What's up?" Gabrielle insisted, starting to worry.

"We're not alone."

The younger woman swallowed hard. "Friend of foe?" she hesitantly asked in Xena's ear.

"We'll find out soon," she replied, already knowing the answer. At least half a dozen armed men, she thought. I can easily get rid of them, but I'll have to look out for Gabrielle. I don't want her to be harmed. If only they'd recognize me, they would leave. Bandits know they better stay far away from me if they want to live... A feeling of uneasiness swept through her. Something was very wrong. What if they aren't bandits? She thought, and a cold chill swept through her. In that moment a bird chattered and a cart appeared at the path's turning, approaching them. Xena's brow furrowed and her lips tightened, as a knot formed in her stomach. That whistle... no, sure they aren't bandits, she thought, clutching her mount's reins. The cart passed them by, and the boy guiding it nodded respectfully towards the two women. Then he suddenly pulled on the reins moving the cart across the path, effectively blocking every passage to and from the bridge.

"Now! Amazons, attack!" A voice screamed. Two armed men emerged from inside the cart behind Xena, while at the same time eight more came yelling and running towards her, four from each side.

"Perdicas." Gabrielle whispered, surprised at the sight of her betrothed, and Xena heard her.

She knows them. She knew of this, the Conqueror thought. Cold rage settled in the warrior's heart. She knew!

She elbowed a stunned Gabrielle in her chest, then rudely forced her off the horse, directing her a glance full of contempt. Then, at the last possible moment, with her attackers almost at striking distance, Xena somersaulted over her horse's head and landed behind her stunned opponents.

"What the...?" Gabrielle groaned as she unsuccessfully tried to rise, then the truth dawned on her. Gods, she heard me! She thinks I betrayed her! Her eyes widening in fear, the blonde woman turned towards Xena, and the blood froze in her veins at what she saw.

Her eyes cold as ice, Xena calmly unsheathed her sword and waved with her hand, as if signaling her foes, ëcome, get me.' Her face was an expressionless mask.

Solari and a man Gabrielle didn't know were the first to engage the Conqueror in combat, attacking her at the same time. Xena blocked both their swords with hers in a high parrying, then suddenly disengaged thrusting her weapon to the hilt in the man's chest and at the same time kicking the woman on the side of her knee with full force. The bone broke with a crunching sound, and the Amazon fell with a loud cry.

"Melas, Perdicas, stop!" Gabrielle cried, managing to rise, but nobody listened to her.

Two more rebels attacked the Conqueror as she shoved the body off the sword with her foot. Easily sidestepping the first hit, she kicked one man on the ribs and face. The other was disarmed with blinding speed. Xena knocked him unconscious with the flat of her sword while he was still looking, open mouthed, at his empty hand. His friend immediately followed his fate. Xena leveled her eyes on the other rebels approaching, and her expression alone made them falter. The cold emptiness they could see there could mean only death for them. I trusted her... Xena thought. I trusted her and that bitch was planning my death! The rebels hesitated a moment, swallowing in fear. Xena immediately took advantage of that and threw her chakram. The silver ring bounced first against a tree then against the cart's wheel, then finally hit two more rebels, who slumped to the ground as the weapon returned into Xena's hands.

"Eponin, Melas please stop this madness!" Gabrielle pleaded from the sidelines.

"Stay out of this, Gabrielle," the Amazon snarled without averting her eyes from the dark warrior standing before her.

Just as Perdicas, Ipheus and Eponin attacked, the blonde woman cried out, "Xena, I swear I didn't know!"

The Conqueror sneered and executed a perfect flip, landing once again behind her opponents, and jumped up to kick Perdicus in the head before he had time to turn. The man immediately blacked out and, snarling, Xena attacked the two other rebels with a series of blows and kicks so powerful that they were forced to recoil, covered in blood and panting hard.

"Please, stop this!" Gabrielle yelled again, but the Conqueror didn't pause for a heartbeat and, shortly, they were disabled.

Xena locked her eyes with her remaining opponents'. The deadly purpose they saw there sent a shiver down their spines. The boy's hands were shaking, and he seemed barely able to hold his weapon. The raven haired woman had defeated all the others, without even breaking a sweat.

"I'll kill you!!" Melas yelled, and attacked Xena with a wide swing of his sword. The Conqueror easily avoided it, and Gabrielle's eyes widened in fear, seeing that the man had left his side completely exposed. But Xena just grazed him with her sword, and kept circling her opponent, thrusting and parrying nonchalantly, occasionally nicking him on the arm or opening a gash on a leg, playing with him like a bored cat with a mouse.

"Melas, drop this, please! You're no match for her!" Gabrielle pleaded, but the thin man was more furious by the minute and persisted in his desperate fight.

After a few moments the Conqueror feigned a low swing. Melas fell for the feint and, at the last possible moment, Xena changed her move and impaled the stupefied man on her sword. Gabrielle gasped in horror and covered her mouth with her hands, as Xena slowly turned her head toward the terrified boy. He dropped his sword and stumbled backwards, falling on his backside. Gabrielle moved forward to reach Xena and stop her, even if this meant certain death, when a movement in the bushes on her left caught her eye.

Ephiny had stayed hidden watching the fight, part of her wanting to help her friends, part of her knowing that even her presence could do little against the Conqueror's cold resoluteness. So she had watched her friends go down one by one, fists clenched, wincing every time Xena bested one of them. But now she had a clear view of the Conqueror approaching the trembling boy. We're warriors, she thought, but Darius is just a child. I have to stop her. She took an arrow and tensed her bow, aiming between Xena's shoulder blades then, holding her breath and sending a silent prayer to Artemis, she let the shaft go.

Xena heard the cord being released and, with a bored sigh, she turned, ready to catch the arrow in mid-air. But it never reached her.

Gabrielle, seeing Ephiny aim, launched herself forward as fast as she could, screaming, "NO!"

part 6

Return to the Academy