Murder has Two Faces

Part 17

By

Tonya S. Coley

For disclaimers see Part One

Chapter 34

"Si, Querida! More!" Alma breathlessly exclaimed.

Johnnie, always willing to please her wife, added two more fingers into Alma’s soaked opening as she suckled her clit. Her left hand cupped Alma’s breast, kneading it with her strong hand. Johnnie’s desire was to make Alma see the same stars that she had made her see a few moments before.

Alma had both of her fists full of Johnnie’s hair, pulling her head as close as possible. Her body began to quiver, and a scream was released as her orgasm tore through her like lightening. "Dios!"

Johnnie kept her fingers inside, enjoying the feeling of Alma contracting around them. Alma’s thighs rested on Johnnie’s shoulders until Johnnie moved up the bed to lie down next to her. Alma quickly moved into her wife’s loving embrace.

"I guess we should get showered and dressed." Johnnie whispered. "I’m sure Tori and Ceecee are up by now." Her suggestion was met by soft snores. She chuckled softly, and held Alma closer. "I love you, Babygirl." She added. Alma snuggled into her, pressing her protruding belly against Johnnie’s stomach. She was surprised when the baby growing inside Alma kicked against her. "I love you too, Little One."

Almost an hour later Johnnie’s bladder began screaming bloody murder to be relieved, so she extricated herself from Alma’s possessive grasp. After handling her business, she stepped into the shower, enjoying the warm water as it cascaded down her body. She was startled when the shower door slid open, but a smile graced her face when Alma stepped in to join her. She gave Alma a delicate kiss and then moved her under the shower spray. Johnnie began to lather Alma’s body, taking care with her sensitive breasts. She took some lather and drew a smiley face on Alma’s belly, making her wife giggle. After washing her, Alma then returned the favor. She took pleasure in caressing Johnnie’s well-formed body, broad shoulders tapering down to a slim waist, moving her hands to cup Johnnie’s muscular buttocks. She moaned when Alma gently scraped her nails against her behind, and placed butterfly kisses between her breasts. Her explorations of Johnnie’s anatomy were interrupted by the familiar knock at their bedroom door.

"I’m gonna kill Tori." Alma said.

Johnnie chuckled. "Not if I get her first."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Case 1456…Tracy Kenon, white male, 36 years of age." Dr. Wilson spoke into her micro-cassette recorder. "Patient complains of headaches and possible periods of blackouts. He also exhibits traits of Dissociative Identity Disorder. Will be able to determine when all medical files are reviewed." A knock on her door halted further dictation. "Come in."

Dr. Marcus Fredrick, Tracy’s attending physician, entered Dr. Wilson’s office. "You got a minute, Stacey?"

Dr. Wilson placed her recorder on her desk. She looked up at her colleague. "Sure, what’s up?"

He closed the door and walked over to her desk. "I have the medical reports on Tracy Kenon." After handing them to her, he took a seat. "There’s also a psych evaluation in there."

Stacey smiled. "Good, that will make my job a little easier." She opened the file, finding the evaluation and began reading it. Her smiled turned into a grimace as she went over the report. "Did you read this?"

"Yes. That’s why I brought it to you immediately." He said.

"There isn’t any more?" She asked indignantly.

"No, that’s it."

She tossed the report on the desk in disgust. "This is disgraceful. This man suffered abuse at the hands of his father, attempted suicide, and all they have here is a three-page report. No additional follow up or anything."

"Stacey calm down." Marcus said. "I know how dedicated you are to your work. Not all shrinks are as good as you are about keeping up with your patients. That’s why I thought of you immediately when he said that he needed help."

"There is no excuse for the lack of treatment." She harshly said, quickly realizing that it was her friend sitting across from her. "Forgive me Marc. I shouldn’t take it out on you. It’s just my belief that if you are in a profession where you are required to help people get over emotional trauma, then you should do just that."

Marcus gave her a soft smile. "It’s ok. I know how passionate you are about helping people."

"I just hope that I will be able to help Mr. Kenon." She said.

"I know you will, Stacey." He smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Pizo sat in one of the prison conference rooms, waiting for the guard to bring Annette to talk with him. I hope that this won’t the typical interrogation. Just answer my questions lady, and I can get out of here. He hated being at the prison. It was one of the deterrents that kept him on the right side of the law. While his friends were pulling stupid pranks and getting into trouble with the police, Pizo managed to steer clear of it. When the door opened, and Annette entered his jaw dropped. Good night little children, she’s even bigger than Annie. God, please let this go smoothly and quickly. He remained silent as she watched the guard chain the behemoth to her chair, and waited until the guard walked over to the other side of the room. "Miss Scott, I’d like to ask you a few questions."

"Go ahead." She said.

Her soft-spoken voice and mannerisms stunned Pizo. He expected her voice to be harsh and deep. "I…I’m Detective Pizo Petrillo from the Wilmington PD, and I would like for you to tell me of the events surrounded Mary Steven’s death."

Annette sighed heavily. "How many times am I going to have to repeat this story?"

He looked into tired eyes; eyes that held no spark, and were nearly lifeless. "I’m sorry, but this is important."

She remained silent for a moment. "I was just going to scare her, to keep her from testifying in that trial." She revealed. "We started fighting, and she managed to get a shank. She jumped on me and tried to stab me with it. We struggled and when I rolled her over, the shank went into her chest."

Pizo studied her as he listened to her recount the events. He noticed gestures and facial expressions that seemed familiar to him. Why do you seem so familiar? "I just have one more question. Why did you want to keep her from testifying?"

Her shoulders slumped and her eyes drifted to the floor. "We don’t like stoolies in here, Detective."

"Are you sure that there is no other reason?" He asked, knowing what she said was true, but he had a gut feeling that there was something else behind it. "You weren’t paid by anyone to do this?"

She shook her head, thankful that she didn’t have to lie. No one paid me, I was gonna scare her as a favor.

Pizo stood up. "Thank you, Miss Scott." He moved from the table, but suddenly stopped. Her turned to her again. "Is it possible that we have met before?" He asked, unable to shake the sense of familiarity this woman held.

The faintest of smiles formed on her lips. "I’d think you would be able to remember if we had ever met, Detective."

Pizo shook it off and smiled. "Yeah, you’re right. Thanks again."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Drew was on the telephone when he noticed Pizo walk into the file room. After he finished his call, he waited a few minutes before following him in.

"Hi Pizo." Drew said.

Pizo nodded as he stood at the copier.

He took a deep breath. "Look, I just want to apologize for the things I said. I know Johnnie and you are close, and I should have kept my opinions to myself."

"No, I’m glad that you let me know your views. I wouldn’t want to be teamed up with a bigot." Pizo revealed. "You did me a big favor." He took out the last paper to be copied and put the original back inside the folder, sliding the blue tab back in it’s place. He then walked back over to the file cabinet he got it from and put it back. Once he gathered the copies, he put them in a new folder. "Now if you will excuse me, I have things to do."

Drew moved from his position in front of the door to let Pizo pass. When Pizo walked out, he went over to the cabinet that read ‘Closed Cases’. He opened the drawer and pulled out the seven files that had blue tabs on them, reading each case name. He came across one that made his eyes widen in surprise. Was this what you were looking at, Pizo? If so, why?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Maddie worked in the kitchen preparing a late lunch, while Karen was in her office/spare bedroom. The doorbell rang and she yelled to Karen that she would get it. She was shocked when she opened the door and found Pizo standing there.

Pizo looked at Maddie and blushed. "I’m sorry, I must be at the wrong place." He stepped back and looked at the numbers on the house.

"If you’re here to see Karen, you’re at the right place. Come on in." She told him as she stepped back to allow him access.

"Who is it, Hon?" Karen asked as she walked down the hall, not bothering to look up from her papers.

Maddie cleared her throat. "Detective Petrillo is here to see you."

Karen’s eyes widened, and there was an awkward silence between the three of them.

"I’ll leave you two alone to talk." Maddie said, thankful that the timer on the oven went off.

When she walked out, Karen opened her mouth to speak, but Pizo forestalled her by holding up his hand. "None of my business. I just stopped by to tell you about my interview with Annette."

Thankful for the change of subject, Karen smiled. "Have a seat Detective."

Pizo sat on the sofa, and pulled the file from underneath his arm. "From what she told me, Mary’s death was an accident. She went in to scare her out of testifying, but they started fighting instead. Mary pulled a blade out on her, they struggled and Mary caught it in the chest."

"Do you believe her?" Karen asked.

"For some odd reason, I do." He said as he scratched his head. "To be honest, I don’t think she should have been locked up in the first place."

"You too?" Karen asked. "I think what happened to her stinks. To go through all that abuse, then have your own mother turn on you is sickening."

"You know about that case?" He asked, sitting up onto the edge of the sofa.

She nodded. "I don’t understand how it is that none of the neighbors ever reported anything."

"Well, from what’s in this file, he would beat them in the basement so no one could hear." He revealed, handing the file over to Karen.

"Aren’t you gonna get in trouble for this?" She asked. "I mean I’m not a police officer."

"The content of this file is public record. I just brought you a copy to go over." He said. "Any luck on finding the brother?"

"Yeah." She said. "I got a lead after I met up with you this morning. Danny went to Maryland after his release. He was of age, so he didn’t have to go live with relatives. After about a year in Maryland, it’s as if he disappeared of the face of the earth. No credit, no job, he just vanished."

"I’ll see if any of my contacts in that area can do any sniffing around for me." He said. "I guess I had better go and let you get back to…your guest."

"You will let me know if you come up with anything, won’t you?" She asked as they stood up.

"Sure, and you’ll do the same?"

"Absolutely. Thanks." She said, walking him to the door.

"I’ll be in touch." He said.

Karen closed the door, and leaned her head against it.

"How did it go?" Maddie tentatively asked, not sure if she should or not.

"I’m sorry, Maddie. I should have told you that he might be coming by. I didn’t think." She said softly. "I hope that it wasn’t uncomfortable for you."

She walked over to her new lover. "At first I was surprised to see him. It had been a while. It’s not like its any big secret or that we are sneaking around."

Karen shrugged. "I know. It’s just that he was Johnnie’s partner."

Maddie closed the space between them and embraced her. "Johnnie knows about us and she’s ok with it. Actually, I think she is very happy for us." She paused. "Are you afraid to tell any one about us?"

"No, no, that’s not it." Karen assured her. "C’mon, our lunch is getting cold. We can talk afterwards."

Chapter 35

Judge O’Connell sat in his chair, studying the two adversaries as they glared at each other. "Gentlemen, I have come to a decision about Mr. Kenon and his testimony."

Both Bob and Abbott turned their attention from each other to the judge. Abbott slid up to sit on the edge of his seat.

"I have decided to grant Mr. Wooten his continuance until Mr. Kenon has been released from the hospital." O’Connell said.

"Your Honor I must object. This is nothing but a trick by the defense to buy more time. Why should justice be delayed because his case is falling apart before his very eyes?" Abbott demanded, irritation weighing heavy in his tone.

Bob spoke up immediately. "This is not a stall tactic, as I told you before. Mr. Kenon has just now remembered information that could lead us to the true killer."

"How convenient for your client, who happens to be his employer and friend." Abbott retorted. "How can we be sure that your client didn’t put Mr. Kenon up to this?"

"Ms. Green has had no contact with Mr. Kenon since he regained consciousness." Bob told him. Thank you for being there, Glenda.

"Is the true, Mr. Wooten?" The judge asked.

"Yes, Your Honor. She has not see or spoken to him." Bob revealed. "Ms. Green went to the hospital immediately as soon as she was notified that he had regained consciousness. Another associate of hers told her that it would be in her best interest not to have any contact him. She figured that the prosecution would try to accuse of her witness tampering, so she prevented Ms. Green from seeing him."

Judge O’Connell was hard pressed to keep the chuckle that wanted to escape him from doing so. No sense in alienating the prosecutor.

Abbott just cast daggers at Bob with his eyes. You think that you are so smart, Bob? Let’s see how you like this. "Since Mr. Kenon is being evaluated by a psychiatrist, I would like to have a psychiatrist of our choosing to evaluate him as well."

Bob smiled. "Feel free to have anyone of your choosing speak with Mr. Kenon. The defense does not have a problem with it."

O’Connell was relieved. "Well, I am glad that you two gentlemen are in agreement. This trial will be adjourned until Mr. Kenon is released from the hospital. If there isn’t anything else, you gentlemen have a good day."

"Thank you, Your Honor." Bob said. Abbott continued to glare at him.

Once they were outside the judge’s chambers, Abbot called out to Bob. Bob turned to him. "Wooten, you have won…nothing. This isn’t over by a long shot. When I reveal the truth you will be exposed for the high priced charlatan you are."

"My, my Mr. Abbott. Are we resorting to name calling now?" Bob asked, amused. "I thought this was about the pursuit of justice."

"This is about putting that murdering client of yours behind bars." Abbott spat.

"How can you be so certain that my client is guilty?" He asked.

"Because she had a motive, and she was covered in Ballantine’s blood." Abbott said, barely keeping his voice down.

"She was not covered in his blood. She had his blood on her clothes, but you saw the crime scene. She would have had more blood on her than she did if she had killed him." Bob was beginning to lose his temper. "Were you not paying attention?"

A feral grin formed on Abbott’s face. "No matter what tricks you try to pull, I will get a conviction."

Bob walked closer to him, only inches from Abbott’s face. "I know you will, but it will not be my client." He turned and walked away.

Abbott watched him walk away. "We’ll see about that, Wooten."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob had calmed down considerably by the time he reached Johnnie’s home. He got out of his car and started up the walk when he saw Johnnie jogging up the street. He waited for her until she stopped in her driveway. "How are you, Johnnie?" He asked extending his hand.

She wiped her hand on her sweats and shook his. "I’m ok. Just coming in from an afternoon run."

He leaned against his black Continental. "Keeping in shape, I see." He smiled. "I have some good news."

Johnnie smiled along with him. "Good, I can sure use some right about now."

"O’Connell is going to allow Tracy to testify." He revealed.

Her smile broadened. "That is good news."

"I thought you would like it."

"I do, I do." She paused. "How did our good friend Abbott take it?"

Bob chuckled. "He is not a happy camper, I am certain of that."

"He’ll get over it. If not, too bad." Johnnie said, shrugging her shoulders.

"You know, you owe Glenda a debt of gratitude. If you had seen or talked to Tracy, O’Connell could have denied us." He said. "You know, when she takes the bar I will have to offer her a job."

"She would deserve it. Glen has saved my ass many times." She confessed. "She’s gonna be one hell of an attorney."

Bob nodded his head in agreement. "I hope I will be able to get her before anyone else does."

"I’ll put in a good word for you, Bob." Johnnie laughed. "Come on in and see Alma. She’d be pissed if you didn’t say hello."

"Alright, but only for a few minutes." He said as he followed her into the house.

"Alma, that is disgusting." Tori said, sitting at the table watching Alma make a sandwich.

"Would you like me to fix you one, too?" She asked, waving the tuna beneath Tori’s nose.

She pulled her head away from Alma’s waving hand. "Hell no. Banana, peanut butter and tuna sandwiches are not in my diet." She paused. "You know, I remember once Ceecee made me drive fifty miles to get her some red clay."

"Red Clay? For what?" Alma’s curiosity was peaked.

"She would break a clump of clay into small bite sized pieces, bake it and then eat it." Tori watched the expression on Alma’s face.

"Ceecee ate dirt?" Alma was appalled.

She smiled. "Yep. Sounds yummy don’t it?"

Alma imagined Ceecee eating actual dirt. She looked down at her sandwich and sighed. "Do you think you can remember where you got it?"

Tori’s jaw dropped. When will I learn to keep my big mouth shut? She’s gonna tell Ceecee that she wants some, and they are gonna make me drive all the way back to Virginia to get it for her.

Alma was amused at the horrified expression that crossed her friend’s face. "Relax Tori, I’m not gonna make you get me any. I’m not quite ready to start eating dirt, yet." Tori breathed a huge sigh of relief. "Where is Ceecee?"

"She’s on the computer in the den reading some fan fiction." Tori said.

"Oh, I love to read that. A particular favorite of mine is Marlis Appleblossom. She’s terrific."

Tori laughed. "I must agree with you on that one. I read part of ‘Just One of Them Days’. I must say that she is very talented."

"So that’s what brought all that racket on." Alma giggled. "It’s a wonder there is any plaster left on the walls."

"You are one to talk, Alma." Tori chuckled. "I thought you guys were having Mass, they way you were calling God this morning."

"Oh hush up, woman." Alma playfully growled, picking up the tray that held her sandwich and apple juice. She walked out into the living room and met Johnnie and Bob coming inside. "Hello Bob." She greeted him. "How are you?"

"I’m fine Alma, and you?"

"I’ll be just fine as soon as I eat my snack." She said.

"What kind of sandwich to do you have there?" He asked, not recognizing the contents.

"You don’t want to know, Bob. Trust me." Johnnie warned. "It’s probably one of her weird combos." She took the tray from her wife and walked with her over to the sofa. "Bob has some good news for us, baby."

Alma sat down and started smiling, looking at Bob. "Did you get it?"

"Yes." He revealed. "The judge has agreed to an adjournment until Tracy can testify."

Alma breathed a thankful sigh of relief. "That’s wonderful news."

"What’s wonderful news?" Ceecee asked as she entered the living room. "Hi Bob."

"Hello Ceecee." He returned her greeting. "I was just telling Johnnie and Alma that the judge is going to allow Tracy to testify."

"Well that is good news. This calls for a celebration." Ceecee said. "We’re going out for dinner. Would you like to join us, Bob?"

"No, I have other plans, thanks anyway." He looked at his watch and stood up. "I guess I’d better be going."

"I’ll walk you out." Johnnie said.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Wilson sat in the chair across from Tracy’s bed; barely able to keep her emotions in check as she listened to Tracy tearfully recount the abuse that he experienced at the hands of his father. My God, how can one man be so cruel to his own flesh and blood? She has had her share of patients that have been abused, but none to the extent that Tracy had experienced. Not only did he physically and sexually abuse his son, but allowed other men to abuse him as well.

"He had physically abused me since I was a little boy. The sexual abuse started when he caught me and another boy kissing when I was thirteen years old." Tracy revealed as tears ran down his cheeks. "I remembered the first time he did it. After that, I didn’t remember anything until I was in the coma. Everything came flooding back." Tracy started to sob. "He passed me around to his friends like I was a whore."

"Take a deep breath." Dr. Wilson advised. "Try to calm down."

Tracy looked into her eyes. He could see sympathy and understanding in them. She will be able to help me without judging me and making me feel as if I played a part in all this. "You know, you are the first doctor who really seems to care."

She smiled at him. "I do care, Tracy. I care about all my patients. I want to help you finally get over this trauma, and be able to move on." She paused. "What happened to you was deplorable. For you to have maintained your sanity for this long is indeed an accomplishment." She stood and walked over to the table and handed him some tissues.

He gratefully took them, and wiped his face. "Thank you. I know in my heart that I will now be able to get the help I need."

"Well, I am here for you as long as you need me." Dr. Wilson softly said as she patted his hand. She walked back over to her seat. "Could you tell me what you saw at the mayor’s office the night he was killed?"

"I will tell you what I remember. It’s not all clear to me, you know."

She nodded her head in acknowledgement.

"I was waiting in his outer office. It was dark. I remember hearing the elevator doors open, and I saw Johnnie staggering out. She walked into his office, and they started arguing. Johnnie walked around his desk and he charged her, knocking her to the floor and straddling her. It looked like he was strangling her, and then she managed to punch him in the nose. He fell off her, and she said something to him. After that she staggered back out." He paused. "I wanted to go to her, but I was in shock. I sat, huddled in a corner like a frightened child. If I could have remembered this before now, then Johnnie wouldn’t have had to go through this. I failed her."

"Tracy, you didn’t fail her." Dr. Wilson assured him. "It was not your fault that you couldn’t remember. I know she doesn’t blame you." She paused. "You are doing what you can to help her now, as well as helping yourself."

He seemed to accept what she was telling him.

She gave him a moment before she continued. "What can you tell me about the man you saw?"

"I didn’t have time to move, because as soon as Johnnie got in the elevator, he stepped from the stairwell. He was Caucasian, and a big man. He went into Ballantine’s office. At first, they talked in hushed tones and then the yelling started. Ballantine tried to get away from him, but the guy was too fast. He picked up the ashtray on Ballantine’s desk and hit him over and over… It was horrible."

Dr. Wilson allowed him a few minutes to calm himself. "Tracy can you remember why you were at the mayor’s office in the first place?" She asked. "Take your time."

He leaned his head back on his pillow. "The only thing that I can come up with is I was there to get him to stop his persecution of Johnnie. Especially after what he did at Phillip’s funeral."

"I heard about that fiasco. He should have been ashamed of himself for even intruding on her and her wife at such a sorrowful time." She said.

"Dr. Wilson?"

"Yes, Tracy?"

"If you don’t mind, I would like to call it a day. I am very tired, and I’m not feeling so good right now."

"Of course you are. It’s fine. We can stop for today." She said as she turned off her micro-cassette recorder. "I’ll be back tomorrow after lunch, ok?"

"Sure doc. Thanks." He watched as she left.

‘She’s a nice one. I think she will be able to help us.’

‘She’s here to help me. Not you.’

‘C’mon, Tracy, don’t be that way.’

‘You’re out of here, and don’t you forget it.’

‘We’ll see.’

 

To be continued in part 18

Return to the Academy