Shattered Innocence

by Tragedy88


Disclaimers: These are my characters, all mine, even if they bear a striking resemblance to a certain warrior and bard. Sorry MCA/Universal you should know by now that I can't resist. But, so ya know, in no way do I make money from this. It's just my own sick, twisted fun.

Sex/Violence: Lots. More then the usual eps of Xena, and more then my usual stories. This is a tough city, a tough neighborhood where just about anything does and will happen. This story depicts love between two members of the same sex, so if this is illegal or offensive, read elsewhere. This story also depicts an act of rape, but no graphic sex scenes. Sorry folks, just not my style.

Anything else? Don't know about that yet. Guess this story has an R rating because of the violence and potty mouth language. Um, that'd be all now. Go ahead and read. Delve into my twisted mind, if you dare! :)

Feedback most welcome at keket1976@yahoo.com


Chapter Eleven


Disappointment

"Hey, Tony," Shane called as the young girl came to within earshot of her words, "want a ride home?"

Tony's smile faded and she hitched her thumb toward the filling buses. "I've got to ride the bus."

Shane's icy eyes darkened for a minute then softened when she met Tony's. "S'ok, just thought I'd ask. I got some stuff to do but how 'bout I call you later?"

"Ok," Tony smiled again.

"Um, you won't get in trouble with your mum if I call, right?"

"No, you can call. If you want," she finished shyly, having no clue as to what they could possibly have to talk about on the phone when most of their real life conversations were few and far between.

"Cool, talk to you later."

Tony watched Shane trot off to join Casey and a few other girls. She sighed and made her way to the crowded bus. She'd have to stand again.


"What's the plan, Stan?" Casey asked Shane as they lounged around the abandoned apartment building they usually used as a meeting place, sipping warm beer Shane had 'borrowed' from her father's private stash.

Tish had shot up with crack and wasn't coherent enough to join the conversation. Molly, 'Ripper' and Joene were lounging around the floor, each with cans of beer, and cigarettes dangling from their fingers. Cadence was seated beside Shane waving the smoke out of her face and drinking from a can of Sprite.

"Dunno," Shane was on her fourth beer and it didn't seem to faze her one bit.

"Yah know," Casey began casually, "you and Tony seem awfully friendly these days."

Shane's eyes narrowed considerably. "I thought we'd settled that."

"Didn't mean anything by it," Casey treaded carefully on thin ice. "Just wondering what's up an all."

"Nothings up. She's just a bright kid. Funny too."

It was certainly more then Casey had expected to hear from her dark friend. She was a woman of few words. But when she did say something it was more than just words. "She's tough, for just a little girl."

"She's not so little," Shane replied softly.

"If she's hangin' with you I guess she's not." Casey tossed her empty beer can over to the pile with the others and lay spread eagle on the floor, hands behind her head.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Shane eyed Casey wearily, not liking that statement in the least.

"Dunno," Casey mumbled, the beer making her sleepy, as it always did. Her eyes blinked shut. "Just guess there's got to be something cool about her if you let her ride your bike. Even if I can't figure out what the fuck it is," her voice trailed off into sleep and soft snores.

Shane glanced at Cadence and found her staring. "What?"

"Nothing."

"I got something to do," Shane muttered darkly and left the room. She squeezed out between the boards in the back and went down the street to the pay phone. Shit, the cord had been cut. She wondered on to the next one and found the receiver hanging off the bottom in a tangle of wires.

Geez, where's a phone when you need one. It's probably too late to call her now anyway. Her mom would throw a hissy.

Whatever, it's not like Tony's gonna be waiting by the phone or anything. She's got better things to do then talk to me. The thought left her oddly depressed.


Tony was waiting by the phone, even if it wasn't obvious to anyone watching. She was pretending to watch an old black-n-white movie with her Gram. 'Casablanca' or something.

As the movie credits rolled Gram looked over at her granddaughter. "It's late sweetheart, you'd best be getting to bed."

Tony reluctantly focussed her eyes out of her peaceful daydream and turned to her Gram. "Can I watch the 11 o'clock news with you?"

"I suppose, but I'd think it's not the stuff to fill your head with right before sleep." Gram smiled and shuffled from her chair to change the channel.

The evening news came and went, belaying tales of hardships, horror and death. Tony didn't hear a word of it as she waited for the phone to ring.


"Night Gram," Tony pecked her Gram on the cheek and shuffled dejectedly off to her room.

"Good night, child. Sleep well," Gram replied to the retreating form.

Tony mumbled something in reply and shut the door behind her. I'm going to cry? No way. She rubbed the heel of her hands against her eyes. No crying. It's not like she promised or anything. StillÖ it hurt that Shane had forgotten her.

She changed into a sleep shirt, switched off the room light and crawled under the covers. Almost as an after thought her hand shot out from under the blankets and slapped the alarm on.


Chapter Twelve
or
Return to Mainc Page