THE ABYSS

Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

SUMMARY:
(Not related to the episode by the same name)
After Xena and Gabrielle find themselves facing off against the gods, Dike- the goddess of justice, Eirene- the goddess of peace & Eunomia- the goddess of good order. Together known as The Horae. Who want to punish Xena for her past. When the Goddesses use their powers on them, Xena and Gabrielle are rendered unconscious. When they awake, Xena and Gabrielle find themselves in a strange, dark land called the Abyss. They're efforts to escape become a hellish nightmare, due to the swamp-like environment, the vicious and dangerous creatures that live there and The Hore themselves who periodically show up to make the situation even worse. Can Xena and Gabrielle fight off the threats facing them and make it out of the Abyss alive?

Pt.1

? 1
She thinks that she can avoid us. But she has done far too much. She can say she has left her darkness behind, but no one who was once as horrible as she can truly be clensed of their evil. She cannot escape our justice.

? 2
Yes, and she continues to partake in violence, in the name of good. Like anyone who were truly reformed as she claims to be would still choose to raise a sword. No one who so egregiously opposes peace can be allowed to go unpunished.

? 3
She must be delt with. The true order of good must be restored. Such an unbalance cannot go on unchecked. For this to take place there is only one solution. 

? 2
And what of her companion?

? 3
Anyone who would ally with such a vile person, must themselves be unredeamable. 

? 1
Then if possible we should deal with that one as well.

? 3
Yes but remember who takes priority. That being said, I believe that we all know on what must happen next then.

? 1
Yes.

? 2
Agreed.

? 3
Very well then. It will be done.

? 1, ? 2, ? 3
Xena must be eliminated.

The morning sun hung in the sky as Gabrielle handed Xena the last folded up blanket to be packed away before they headed back out on the road.

GABRIELLE 
You know I still don't get why we always have to get up so early.

XENA 
It's not that early, I let you sleep in today.

GABRIELLE 
You call this sleeping in?

XENA 
Actually yes.

GABRIELLE 
Of course you do.

XENA 
Maybe you wouldn't mind getting up at this time if you went to bed earlier.

GABRIELLE 
I was, but a certain someone kept me up longer than I had planned.

Xena raised an eyebrow.

XENA 
You weren't complaining about that last night.

Gabrielle smirked as she shook her head. With everything picked up, they hopped on Argo and rode off. After a while Xena and Gabrielle came to a large field, Xena suddenly had Argo stop.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong?

XENA 
Someone's been following us for a while now.

GABRIELLE 
Any idea who?

XENA 
No, but I intend to find out. Stay here.

Xena got down from Argo and drew her sword. She walked a little back from the way they came. Gabrielle got down from Argo as she watched Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Xena motioned for Gabrielle to stay put. After taking a moment to inspect their surroundings, Xena walked over to some large rocks. She pointed her sword.

XENA 
Alright, I know you're back there. Make it easy on yourself and come out.

A young man slowly walked out from behind the rocks holding up his hands.

YOUNG MAN 
Please don't hurt me.

XENA 
Why are you following us?

YOUNG MAN 
I was told to find you. You are Xena aren't you?

XENA 
Yes. 

GABRIELLE 
If you needed to find Xena, why not just ask, instead of practically stalking us?

Xena gave Gabrielle a slightly annoyed look as Gabrielle walked up beside her for not staying back.

YOUNG MAN 
Sorry, I wasn't sure if I should just approach you. You know giving your reputation... no offense.

XENA 
Well you're here now, so who sent you?

The young man gave her a nervous look.

YOUNG MAN 
Well you see I can't really tell you that. I'm sorry please don't hurt me.

Both Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other, slightly confused. Gabrielle gave the young man a gentle smile.

GABRIELLE 
Just take it easy. No one's gonna hurt you, I promise.

XENA 
(low voice, only Gabrielle could hear) Well.

Gabrielle nudged her a little.

GABRIELLE 
Now what can you tell us.

YOUNG MAN 
I was sent to give you a message.

XENA 
I'm listening.

The young man explained that he was instructed to tell Xena that she and Gabrielle were invited to Athens for an extremely important meeting.

XENA 
I'm assuming that whoever sent you is who I would be meeting.

YOUNG MAN 
Yes.

XENA 
And I don't suppose you can tell me what this meeting is about.

YOUNG MAN 
No. I'm sorry. I actually don't know that. But I was told that your presence was of the utmost importance. And that many lives may be at stake.

Xena thought for a moment. It seemed odd that whoever was requesting to see her wanted to remain anonymous. It could be an enemy trying to lure her into a trap. But I could also be a case of them needing to keep their identity hidden for their own safety and that's why they sent for her in the first place. Plus if what the young man had just said was true, and people were in serious danger, Xena couldn't just ignore this.

XENA 
Fine. We'll head there immediately. You're welcome to travel with us back.

YOUNG MAN 
Thank you, but I'm actually not going back to Athens just yet. So this will be where we part ways.

The young man thanked Xena and Gabrielle for accepting the meeting request and left.

GABRIELLE 
So I guess we're going to Athens.

XENA 
Seems that way. Come on let's get moving. I wanna find out what this is all about.

Xena and Gabrielle got back on Argo and headed for Athens. Both of them unaware of the true danger that they would soon find themselves in.

Pt.2

Xena and Gabrielle were on the road in route to Athens. Trying to figure out who could've sent for Xena.

GABRIELLE
Do you know anyone in Athens.

XENA
Probably. But no one in particular comes to mind. It could be that they just happen to be there. Or someone who heard about me.

GABRIELLE
I wonder what they want. It seems odd that they didn't tell their messenger.

XENA
It could just be very sensitive information. Though that paired with the fact that they chose to keep their identity hidden makes this whole thing seem very suspicious.

GABRIELLE
You think it's a trap don't you?

XENA
Something like that.

GABRIELLE
Then why are we still going?

XENA
I wanna find out who's behind this. Not to mention if it is a trap, it's not a very good one. So either their just stupid or there's something else going on here.

They continued on. As they came over the horizon, the city of Athens could be seen in the distance. Being almost there Xena had Argo pick up a little speed. She wanted to find out what all the secrecy was about. As they galloped closer to the city, a huge bolt of lightning crashed to the ground just a few feet in front of them. Xena quickly halted Argo.

GABRIELLE
What was that?!

She looked up, checking for rain clouds. But the sky was clear. Suddenly another bolt crashed down near them.

GABRIELLE
Did we somehow anger Zeus or something?

XENA
No I don't think this is his doing.

GABRIELLE
What makes you think that?

XENA
Just a feeling. If what I'm thinking is right, then this is connected to the mysterious meeting I'm supposed to attend. And that doesn't seem like Zeus.

Another lightning bolt struck the ground right next to them.

XENA
But someone is definitely trying to send a message. Hold on tight.

Xena had Argo get going. As they rode the lightning became more frequent. Striking all around them. Somehow they managed to avoid getting hit. But as the city gates came into sight multiple bolts rained down, they seemed to form almost large wall of lightning in front of them, blocking their path. Leaving them with no choice but to stop.

XENA
Looks like someone doesn't want us getting to Athens.

After a few moments the lightning stopped and the lightning wall faded away. As it did Xena and Gabrielle saw what seemed to be three women standing there in front of them.

GABRIELLE
(Whisper) Who are they?

XENA
(Whisper) Not sure.

? 1, ? 2, ? 3
Hello Xena. Gabrielle.

Both Xena and Gabrielle dismounted Argo.

XENA
If you wanted my attention there are easier ways to do it.

? 1
Your reputation among the God's would prove otherwise. It's well known that you don't respect us.

XENA
It's not that, I just don't think we need to relay on the God's to live our lives. But I doubt my views on the God's are what brought you here.

? 2
You're correct Xena.

? 3
We have far more pressing matters to deal with you.

GABRIELLE
They're God's? I wonder why we don't recognize them.

XENA
Must not be that popular.

? 1
We are known by a great many. Though it doesn't surprise us that people such as you would not know of us.

XENA
Is that so? Then how 'bout you enlighten us. Just who are the three of you?

? 1
I am Dike, the Goddess of justice. Something you would know nothing about Xena.

? 2
I am Eirene, and I am the Goddess of peace. The very thing that you seem to oppse so whole heartedly.

? 3
And I am Eunomia, goddess of good order. Your very being upsets the balance of good and order. Together we are the Horae.

Gabrielle stepped forward.

GABRIELLE
You know for God's you're really uninformed. Xena's good now. She's working hard to try to right her wrongs and make up for what she did. She's fights for justice and good. And while she does technically participate in violence, I think doing that in the name of what's right should be okay. She fights for those who can't and stops far more violent people from hurting others.

DIKE, EIRENE, EUNOMIA
Silence!

The goddesses voices boomed and echoed through the area. Feeling uneasy, Gabrielle slowly backed up.

EIRENE
You are no better Gabrielle.

XENA
Now wait just a minute. How can you even say something like that?

DIKE
Anyone who would willingly ally themselves with the likes of you must mean that they themselves are either evil or are willing to just accept evil. Either way people like her are guilty of opposing justice, peace and good order all the same.

XENA
So it's guilt by association. That hardly seems fair. And seems to go against the very things that you claim to stand for.

DIKE, EIRENE, EUNOMIA
We said Silence!

DIKE
Who are you to question the Horae. You Xena, who has committed numerous atrocities.

EUNOMIA
You do not get to decide what is good and just. Though you may have tried to escape punishment before, now your time has come.

EIRENE
You will pay for your sins. Along with Gabrielle, who continues to stand by and aid you. So to restore justice, order and peace you both shall be eliminated.

With that all three of the Horae began to ready attacks. Xena stood ready to fight.

XENA
I thought one of you were all about peace.

EIRENE
I do not need to explain myself to a mortal. Especially one such as yourself.

XENA
So much for practicing what you preach.

The goddesses began unleashing their godly powes. Xena blocked and dodged the incoming attacks. But knowing that they were out numbered, out matched and out in the open with no cover. Everything about their situation had the odds stacked against them. So Xena quickly decided that a tactical retreat was the best option for the moment. At least until she could come up with a plan to fight back.

XENA
Run Gabrielle. We can't fight them like this.

Xena and Gabrielle began fleeing from the Horae. Xena figured if they could get to Argo, they would have a better chance of escape. She whistled for her trusty mare.

THE HORAE
There is no escape. Accept your punishment and pay for all your misdeeds.

The Horae began to make a loud noise. It was like an echoing omm sound. The sound was so loud, that both Xena and Gabrielle were forced to stop in their tracks. They covered their ears, trying to drowned out the sound. But it was no use. The sound was so overwhelming that it caused them to drop to their knees. After a few moments it stopped. When it did Xena and Gabrielle looked back at the Horae. As they did a bright light radiated from them.

THE HORAE
Accept your fate. For this was made from your own doing. You have chosen your actions, now you must suffer the consequences.

With those words the light intensified. Causing Xena and Gabrielle to have to shut and shield their eyes. Moments later the light faded and they opened their eyes. But what they saw was something that they were not expecting. Still on the ground, they looked around.

GABRIELLE
Xena, where are we?

As Xena scanned the area, she saw that it looked like some sort of swamp-like wasteland. Far from the environment that they had just been in. The whole area looked completely unfamiliar.

XENA
I have no idea.

Pt.3

Xena and gabrielle stood looking around the strange, foreign area that they had found themselves in. Having no clue where they were.

GABRIELLE 
Did those Gods do this?

XENA 
Seems like like it.

Xena tried to get a sense of where they were, but she had never seen an area like they currently found themselves.

XENA 
Come on, let's find a way out of here. But stay close, we don't know what we're dealing with. 

Xena lead the way as she and Gabrielle began moving through the swamp-like wasteland. Xena kept her sword ready, sensing the dangerous atmosphere around them. As they walked they could hear the sounds of various creatures. Though they didn't sound like normal animals.

GABRIELLE 
Even the sounds here are unfamiliar. What is this place. Everything is so strange.

As they continued, Xena spotted someone up ahead. They were sitting on a large tree stump. They got closer and then Xena recognized that it was one of the Goddesses that had sent them there. Xena scowled as she stormed up to her, with Gabrielle following close behind.

XENA 
Alright what do you do? Where are we?

EIRENE 
So aggressive. Then again I'm not surprised. You've always been temperamental.

XENA 
Spare me the lectures and answer my questions.

The goddess signed as she picked up a small creature and began to pet it. It looked like a strange lizard type thing. Neither Xena or Gabrielle had seen anything like it before.

EIRENE 
Do you know what this is?

XENA 
Don't change the subject.

EIRENE 
These creatures live here,  along with many others. Of course this one here is just a young one. The fully grown adults are far bigger. And much more aggressive. You actually have quite a bit in common with them Xena.

Xena was beginning to lose her patience with the goddess going on. Eirene gently put the creature down and it scurried off. Finally she focused her attention on Xena and Gabrielle.

EIRENE 
Well I suppose I should fill you in on what exactly is going on. That is why I'm here after all. Now where should I start?

Eirene quietly talked to herself as she thought. Xena crossed her arms as she and Gabrielle waited for the goddess to get to the point. She seemed to be going over everything that had happened. Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other,  noticing that Eirene seemed to be either a bit neurotic, slightly dim or both. 

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) I wounder if all the gods are such characters or if it just happens to be the ones that we encounter.

XENA 
(Whisper/Sarcasm) Who knows. Either way I guess we must just be lucky.

Finally Eirene came to the present.

EIRENE 
Okay, so to start I should tell you where we are. 

Eirene stood up and motioned all around them.

EIRENE 
Welcome ladies to the place we like to call the Abyss.

XENA 
So are we still in the normal world or is this somewhere else entirely, cut off from everything we know.

EIRENE 
I  suppose it's a little bit of both. We are still in the regular world. However this place is a cut off secluded area. This is a place reserved for people like you, to punish them for all the evil they've done. But it's also a haven for creatures deemed to dangerous to be around the average person. With the magic barrier surrounding this place, nothing can get in or out without our aid. So it's a two birds, one stone scenario. It serves as both paradise and a prison.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Lovely. If this is a paradise I'd hate to see your version of some place awful.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) So is there a reason why you've decided to show up, or did you just come to chat and do some sight seeing?

EIRENE 
Well aren't you two the snarky pair. But I guess if you don't want to know how you can escape from here, I'll just be on my way then. 

Eirene raised her hand preparing to dissappear.

GABRIELLE 
Wait a minute what do you mean by how we can escape?

EIRENE 
I see I caught your attention with that, didn't I? 

The goddesses lowered her hand and smiled.

EIRENE 
You see we, the Horae are fair, just and loving God's.

Xena rolled her eyes at the statement. If anything theses God's have already shown that they were anything but. However if it would give her and Gabrielle a chance to get out of there, she decided it would be better to hear Eirene out.

EIRENE 
We have decided that instead of simply killing you, we would give you a chance.

GABRIELLE 
A chance at what?

EIRENE 
Life. 

XENA 
And what exactly does that mean?

EIRENE 
Though this is a place cut off from the normal world, we have made a special little spot somewhere in Abyss just for you. And if you can somehow find and make it to that spot, you will be brought back to the world you know. And if you should escape, we will leave you be. You will be free to go on with your lives and no longer need to fear our judgment.

XENA 
Why do this? If you truly believe that we're evil, why not just kill us and get it over with? Instead of giving us a way to escape.

EIRENE 
Always with the violence and killing. I would think you'd be thankful for the option of survival in this scenario.

Sensing that Eirene was becoming slightly agitated with Xena, Gabrielle quickly spoke up to try and defuse the situation.

GABRIELLE 
We are. Thank you.

EIRENE 
Well at least one of you seems to have have some good sense. Very well, I'll leave you to get going than. We'll be watching you and checking in periodically. You know you used to be such a nice girl Gabrielle. It really is a shame that you allowed yourself to be corrupted by someone like Xena. Anyway, good luck. You're gonna need it.

With that warning Eirene, the Goddess of peace disappeared. Leaving Xena and Gabrielle to process what they were just told.

GABRIELLE 
You know I'm not sure which one of us should be more insulted by that last part.

XENA 
I guess we should get going. If what Eirene said is true, then we need to find that exit.

GABRIELLE 
How are we supposed to even begin to know where to look?

XENA 
Don't know. But just standing out in the open like this isn't a good idea. Apparently this place is full of dangerous creatures that we know nothing about. So we need to find a relatively safe place to get our barrings and figure out what to do next. Plus it looks like it'll be getting dark soon. The last thing we need right now is to be stumbling around an unfamiliar swamp filled with vicious creatures in the dark.

GABRIELLE 
Good point. I'd rather not become some monsters dinner.

So Xena and Gabrielle set out to find shelter for the night. They made sure to stay close together, getting separated right now would certainly make things far more dangerous for them. What ever happened Xena was determined to reach the exit of the Abyss. If it were just her she wouldn't have been as concerned. But once again her past mistakes have put Gabrielle in the crossfire too. But she couldn't think about that right now.  Xena had to focus on makng their way through this hellscape. And getting both of them out of the Abyss before it was too late.

Pt.4

The night began to fall as Xena and Gabrielle ventured through the swamp-like place now known as the Abyss. They searched for some sort of shelter for the night. Due to the creatures that were prowling around sleeping outside wasn't an option. Fortunately they had a bit of luck and found a nearby cave. They cautiously ventured inside. Upon inspection they determined that the cave was vacant. So once they found it was a decently safe spot, they got a fire going and made their camp there for the night. They sat beside the campfire as Xena tried to think of an easier way to find a way out other than just wondering around, hoping to stumble across the exit. As she thought, Xena heard a low growing sound. She quickly grabbed her sword, preparing for a fight.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong?

XENA 
I don't think we're alone in here. I just heard something growl.

GABRIELLE 
I didn't hear anything.

Xena motioned for Gabrielle to be quiet. She then listened and heard it again.

XENA 
It's close.

As they listened and heard the sound yet again, Gabrielle sighed as she realized what Xena had heard.

GABRIELLE 
Xena I don't think you need your sword right now.

Xena looked at her with a curious expression on her face.

GABRIELLE 
That noise was just me. I haven't eaten anything since this morning.

Xena lowered her weapon as they both had a little laugh. Though now that Gabrielle had mentioned it, Xena was getting hungry too. 

XENA 
Stay here, I'll go see if I can find us something to eat.

GABRIELLE 
Is it even safe for us to eat anything here?

XENA 
Only one way to find out.

Xena left the cave to try and get them some food. She kept her sword ready as she looked around. On her search Xena came across one of the Goddesses. She cautiously approached her. The goddess Dike noticed that she was alone.

DIKE
Hello Xena. Did you decide that Gabrielle was dead weight and try to make it out on your own.

Xena scowled at the implication that she would just abandon Gabrielle.

XENA 
I'm looking for something we can eat. Or is there anything even eateble here at all?

DIKE 
Of course there is. It wouldn't really be fair if we didn't give you the fuel you need to attempt your escape now would it.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Oh now you're all about fairness. 

DIKE 
I think we've been more than fair. That's why you're here and not already dead.

Xena wasn't about to waste her time on trying to make the same argument on Gabrielle's behalf as she did before. She knew that it wouldn't change the Goddesses minds. Instead she just focused on her current mission, finding herself and Gabrielle food.

XENA 
You said that you left us the fuel we need. 

DIKE 
Well it's not as much as we left you food. More like allowed you the option to get your own.

XENA 
What do you mean?

DIKE 
Just look around you. I'm certain that you've noticed all the creatures that roam around in here.

XENA 
Is it actually safe for us too eat them?

DIKE 
Indeed. They have no different nutritional value than your standard livestock or wild game that you would normally consume.

XENA 
Well that's good to know. At least we won't starve.

Dike chuckled. Xena looked at her, wondering what the goddess found so funny.

DIKE 
I simply said it was safe to eat the creatures here. I never said it was safe to try and hunt them. As I'm sure you're aware by now, the creatures are quite aggressive. So actually taking them down is far easier said than done. You're less likely to get a meal than to become one yourselves.

Xena scowled as she began to walk away.

XENA 
Just you watch.

Xena left the goddess and began looking for something that she could take down for some food. She began scouting for something that didn't look too difficult to kill. As Xena searched it began to rain..

XENA 
(Sarcasm/ thinking to herself) Anything to make this more difficult.

She came across a lone creature that was taking a drink from a small stream. Xena stealthily hid behind some bushes as she tested the water, making sure it was also safe for her and Gabrielle to drink. It was, so she quickly gathered them some water. Then she focused on the creature. It looked like a large cat-like beast. But it had long fangs, horns on its head and large spikes that ran down its back. It looked quite vicious, but Xena didn't see anything else around at the moment. And she needed to get back to Gabrielle soon. So it was this or nothing. Xena readied her chakrum, taking aim for the creature.

XENA 
(quietly talking) Here kitty, kitty.

Xena launched her chakrum at the beast. The weapon struck it on one of it's legs. The creature roared as Xena's chakrum returned to her. After the initial shock from the strike wore off the beast began searching for what had attacked it. With the creature now alert, Xena couldn't just change in to finish it off. So she threw her chakrum again. However this time the creature dodged it.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) That things fast.

Xena saw the creature begin to sniff at the air. It was looking for its attacker. Xena realized the danger she was in and began to quietly back away. But the beast had locked on to an unfamiliar scent and identified it's location. The creature beared it's teeth as it growled, walking towards the bushes that Xena was crouched behind. It had found her. Xena knew that she had no choice but to fight it. She slowly stood up and readied her sword.

XENA 
Come and get it.

The creature roared as it raced towards Xena. As it got closer it lunged at her. Xena was barely able to dodge it. The creature was even faster than she had initially thought. Just as she turned to face it again the beast was already in midair, coming at her. She moved just enough to avoid being pounced on, but the beast claws caught her. Leaving a large gash in Xena's arm.

XENA 
Gah!

Xena quickly backed off slightly. But the creature lunged at her again. Xena went to dodge again, but lost her footing on the slick ground under her. She fell back as the vicious creature pounced on her. It began scratching at Xena, it's claws ripping open her skin. as she tried to get it off of her, while trying to keep it from bitting her. She struggled against the beast. Finally Xena managed to grab a handful of fur on it's head. She held the creature back enough for her to free her sword hand. Then Xena drove her blade deep into the beast neck. The creature stopped it's attack as it struggled and gasped for breath. Moments later it was dead. Xena pushed the creature off of her and sat up. She took a moment to calm herself a little. She looked down seeing that she was covered in blood. Xena wasn't sure how much of it was the creature's and how much was hers. She slowly stood up, put her weapons away and put the creature on her back as she made her way back to the cave where she had left Gabrielle. Though given her injuries and having to carry a large carcass it would be a much slower walk back to the cave. Xena just hoped that Gabrielle was still safe. Because as she had just learned, this place wasn't just dangerous, if they weren't careful it could very well be deadly for the both of them.

Pt.5

Gabrielle was sitting on a rock near the caves entrance as she watched for Xena to return.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena's been gone for a while, I hope She's okay. Maybe I should go look for her.

Gabrielle got up and grabbed her staff.

XENA 
Going somewhere?

Gabrielle turned around and saw Xena walking into the cave.

GABRIELLE 
Well now that you're back no. What took so long? I was getting worried. I thought...

Gabrielle stopped when she saw all the blood that practically covered Xena. She rushed over to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
God's Xena.

Xena could see Gabrielle's concern as she put the creature down.

XENA 
Don't worry it's not as bad as it looks. A lot of it's not mine.

She smiled as she winsed a little bit. Trying not to worry Gabrielle too much.

GABRIELLE 
Well that means that some of it is.

Xena sat down as Gabrielle grabbed some cloth, water and bandages. After washing off all the blood and bandaging Xena's wounds, they prepared their food and ate. Xena informed Gabrielle that according to the goddesses the creatures were safe to eat. Afterwards Xena removed her wet clothes and layed them out to dry. Then she got under the covers that Gabrielle had set up while she was out. Gabrielle was already settled in herself. They layed there in the soft glow of the fading campfire. Gabrielle rested her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
We really need to find a way out of here. If only one of the creatures here managed to do that much damage to you, then what happens if we encounter more than one. Or something more dangerous than that. Or if we get separated, I...

Xena gently put her finger on Gabrielle's lips.

XENA 
Shhh. Don't worry we'll get out of this. We've been in plenty of bad situations before. We'll be alright.

Gabrielle turned to face Xena.

GABRIELLE 
But what about those Gods. Xena with everything we're dealing with here, I don't get how you can be so calm.

XENA 
I'm not calm, I'm just not panicking.

GABRIELLE 
I fail to see the difference here.

XENA 
Panicking makes it more difficult to think and react. And in a situation like this that can be all the difference between weither we survive or not.

GABRIELLE 
Oh I think I get it. Then how do you manage to not panic?

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
My experience. 

GABRIELLE 
Well that's great. But unlike you I'm not a hardened warrior. I mean sure since I've been with you I've seen my fair share of difficult things. But I don't think I could ever get used to something like this.

XENA 
I think that's probably a good thing. Once things like this stop affecting you is when you really should worry. It's not a matter of not being afraid, it's how you react to that fear. That's what's important.

Xena held Gabrielle close. 

XENA 
Well make it out of here. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise.

Gabrielle smiled a little. Whenever she was feeling upset or uneasy about things, Xena always seemed to know how to make her feel better. Xena sighed to herself as she thought about how exactly they were going to escape from the Abyss. And how because of her, Gabrielle was yet again in an extremely dangerous situation. Gabrielle could see Xena was deep in thought.

GABRIELLE 
You know you really should take your own advice.

XENA 
What are you talking about?

GABRIELLE 
Come on Xena, like I can't tell when you're worried about something by now. I know you all too well. You're blaming yourself for me getting dragged into another dangerous situation aren't you? But I know full well what being with you means. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Xena sat up.

XENA 
How many times are you gonna have to suffer for the things I've done. You had nothing to do with my awful past. And yet you're here being punished as if it were your doing.

Gabrielle sat up too.

GABRIELLE 
Those Gods put us here, not you.

XENA 
My actions are what really put us here.

Gabrielle leaned her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE 
Then you're actions are what will get us out. 

XENA 
Yes they will and I'll make sure of it.

Xena gently stroked Gabrielle's hair as she lightly kissed the top of her head. Gabrielle looked at Xena and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I know you will.

Gabrielle kissed Xena.

XENA 
What was that for?

GABRIELLE 
I thought it might make feel better. And because I love you. 

XENA 
(Joking) You know I can think of other things that would make me feel better too.

Gabrielle laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
(sly tone) Hmm and I wonder what exactly might that be.

Gabrielle kissed Xena again. This time with a bit more passion. Xena had only been joking at first, but that kiss began to stir her desire. They passionately kissed. As their desire for one another built, they quickly stripped away their clothes. Afterwards Gabrielle layed back as Xena leaned down and kissed her. Xena's hands slowly traced down Gabrielle's body as she pulled back from the kiss. She smiled down at Gabrielle as she got up to her knees. She positioned herself agienst Gabrielle, taking one of Gabrielle's legs and put it over her shoulder. Xena began to slowly thrust herself against Gabrielle. They both moaned as they felt their pleasure began to build. After a bit Xena began to feel herself getting closer to her climax. She began to move faster. Pushing harder against Gabrielle. Gabrielle grasped the blanket under her as Xena continued moving. She too could feel her own orgasism building. The small cave was soon filled with their cries of extacy as Xena and Gabrielle both found themselves on the edge of release. Xena thrust hard once more and then she felt herself hit her climax. She let out a blissful moan as her orgasism overtook her. After taking a moment to recover, Xena moved back from Gabrielle slightly. Xena smiled at her as she took her hand began rubbing her finger against Gabrielle's most sensitive spot, knowing that Gabrielle hadn't finished yet. Though it didn't take long before Gabrielle could feel himself ready to hit her own climax. Xena spead up, knowing that Gabrielle was close. She continued as Gabrielle rocked her hips against Xena's hand. Until finally she arched her back as a powerful orgasism hit her. Gabrielle cried out in sheer extacy as Xena began to slow down, allowing Gabrielle to ride out the waves of pleasure as they crashed into her. Afterwards Xena layed down next to Gabrielle and covered the two of them with another blanket. She gently kissed Gabrielle as she smiled at her.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) I take it that cheared you up a bit.

XENA 
(Joking) You always do find a way to do it.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Well it that's all it takes...

They both laughed a little. Then the reality of their situation returned to Xena.

XENA 
We should go to bed soon. Who knows what we'll be facing when we head back out tomorrow.

Gabrielle agreed as she curled up close next to Xena, as Xena put her arm around her. They got comfortable and began to drift off, when Xena heard another growl.

XENA 
Was that your stomach again.

GABRIELLE 
No.

XENA 
Well so much for getting some sleep.

Xena got up and got dressed. She told Gabrielle to try and get some rest. Saying that there was no need for both of them to go without sleep. At least one of them should get some rest. After some convincing, Gabrielle reluctantly gave in and went to sleep. Meanwhile Xena stayed up all night, keeping watch for anything hostle that might try and attack them. After the long, sleepless night for Xena, morning came. She woke up Gabrielle. After packing up, Xena and Gabrielle headed back out in search of the way out of the Abyss. But little did they know that their journey was only going to become even more difficult than they had already thought.

Pt.6

A thick fog set in as Xena and Gabrielle walked through the swamp. As they carried on, they came to a body of water. With no land in sight connecting to the other side, there was no choice but to go through it. Gabrielle stood at the Watters edge and looked down into the murky water.

GABRIELLE 
We don't really have to go through this do we?

XENA 
Looks like it.

Xena grabbed Gabrielle's staff and drove it down into the water.

GABRIELLE 
Hey! What are you doing?!

XENA 
Checking how deep the water is.

GABRIELLE 
Well you could've at least asked first.

Xena pulled the staff back out and handed it back to Gabrielle.

XENA 
Okay we should be able to walk through this. Just keep an eye out, who knows what's swimming around down there.

They carefully began making their way into the water. It came up to a little past Xena's knees. As they walked up ahead they saw what appeared to be a large creature swimming around. Upon seeing that, Xena decided that walking through wasn't a good idea. So she and Gabrielle quickly turned back and got back on land.

GABRIELLE 
Well that's not gonna work. So now how do we get through here?

 Xena didn't say anything as she looked around for a moment. Then she began gathering large branches and pieces of vine. Using the vines,, she tied the branches together creating a raft. Once it was done Xena put it in the water to make sure it stayed afloat.

XENA 
Alright come on.

 Xena stepped onto the raft to keep it in place and held out her hand, helping Gabrielle on. Once they were both seated on the raft, Xena pushed off. They began floating through the water as they forged on to find their way out of the Abyss. Using another branch Xena rowed through the water, hopefully steering them in the right direction. The air was filled with the calls of the various unssen creatures around them. They could see parts of what appeared to be large creatures above the water that were swimming nearby. Gabrielle nervously looked into the water. Xena could sense Gabrielle's anxiety.

XENA 
I don't think we need to worry, they don't seem to have much interest in us. So we should be fine as long as we stay out of the water.

GABRIELLE 
I hope so.

They continued as Xena pushed them along. As they floated by a large tree, Xena caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. She rowed them up to the small patch of land that the tree sat on.

XENA 
I was wondering when one of you would show up again.

Gabrielle looked and saw the goddess Eunomia standing there, leaning up against the tree 

EUNOMIA
I just thought I'd check in and see how things were going.

Xena scowled.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Just wonderful.

Eunomia noticed Xena's bandages.

EUNOMIA 
(Sarcasm) Clearly. 

GABRIELLE 
Can you at least tell us if we're going the right way to get out of here?

EUNOMIA 
Now why would I do that?

GABRIELLE 
If you had any interest in giving us a fair chance here you would.

EUNOMIA 
A fair chance you say. I wonder how many people were denied just that at the hands of Xena.

Even though Gabrielle knew what Xena had done in the past, it still felt like a cheep shot for the goddess to use that so casually. Especially since she knew just how much Xena regretted doing all those terrible things. Xena could see Gabrielle getting angry. She put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder.

XENA 
Don't bother Gabrielle. They're not gonna help us.

GABRIELLE 
But I can't just let her say things like that.

EUNOMIA 
Why not, it's all true.

Xena stopped Gabrielle from arguing with the goddess. Telling her that it would only be a waste of time. But Gabrielle knew that it was because Xena felt like Eunomia was right.

EUNOMIA
I suppose it's time for me to go. I look forward to seeing if you make it through here. I'll be waiting.

Xena noticed that for a brief moment Eunomia appeared to be looking off in the distance. It was quick, but Xena had a feeling that there was something to it. Then Eunomia disappeared. 

XENA 
Well at least I think I know which way we should head next.

Xena walked back to the raft. Gabrielle followed.

GABRIELLE 
How?

XENA 
Just before she left, I noticed Eunomia looking in that direction. And now I think I see why.

Xena pointed to some tall object in the far distance.

GABRIELLE 
What is that?

XENA 
I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet it's important for escaping this hell.

GABRIELLE 
You think that's our way out of here?

XENA 
One way to find out. Either way it's clearly something important.

Xena pushed off as they once again floated through the water. Their sights set on the mysterious tower like object that was barely visible through the distant fog. They were on the move for a little while when they felt something bump their little raft. At first Xena ignored it, figuring something had simply nudged them as it swam by. But then it happened again. This time it was harder. 

GABRIELLE 
Looks like something doesn't like us floating around here.

XENA 
We must've gotten a little too close. Hold on, I'll get us away from it.

Xena began changing their direction slightly, trying to get out of the creatures way. However it seemed to follow them as it ramed into the raft again, hard. The force momentarily tilted the whole side of the raft, causing Gabrielle to nearly fall off. Luckily Xena quickly grabbed her, keeping Gabrielle from falling in.

XENA 
Hold on tight.

Xena then took her chakrum and watched the water for movement. Ready to strike before the unknown creature. However she couldn't see it. Then Xena realized why. It was right below them. But that knowledge came to her too late, as the creature quickly shot up through the waters surface. It completely destroyed the the raft. Sending Xena and Gabrielle into the water. They quickly resurfaced. The water in that area was quite deep. Xena saw some land a little ways off. She pointed it out to Gabrielle and they began quickly swimming towards it. They got closer to land with Gabrielle was right behind Xena. Xena glanced back to both check on Gabrielle and see if she could spot the creature that was chasing after them. As she did, Xena saw Gabrielle get pulled under the water.

GABRIELLE 
Xe...

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Xena quickly dove down, chasing after Gabrielle. She swam as fast as she could, trying to reach her. Throwing her chakrum wouldn't work under water. She had to physically get to the creature as it swam away. Gabrielle tried doing everything she could to free herself, but the lack of air was quickly becoming a problem. Panic began to set in as water began to fill her lungs. Xena could see Gabrielle was running out of time. She pushed herself to go faster. Xena reached out, stretching to grab onto the creatures tail. She just barely managed to grab it. The creature continued to swim with Gabrielle in its clutches. Xena was pulled along with them as she got a better hold on it. Then she took her chakrum and used it to slice the creature. The pain forced the creature to release Gabrielle. As soon as it did, Xena quickly swam to her and got them both up to the surface. Gabrielle coughed up water as gasped, finally able to breathe again. But they were far from being out of the woods just yet. Xena knew she had to get them out of the water, before the creature struck again. Now injured from the creature and unable to swim, Gabrielle held on to Xena. Xena could see the blood pooling around them from Gabrielle's wound. Now they really needed to get back to land. Xena began to swim while holding onto Gabrielle. But her path was cut off by the creature as it swam in front of them. Or so Xena thought. Because when she went to turn, she saw it the one that had been chasing after them was still behind them.

XENA 
There's more than one?!

Gabrielle saw them too. She knew they'd never escape if Xena had to both swim and keep her a float.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you have to go. Save yourself. You'll never...

XENA 
Absolutely not. You're only in this predicament because of me. I'm not leaving you. End of discussion.

Gabrielle didn't bother trying to argue with Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

XENA 
Just hang on. Well get through this, somehow.

Pt.7

The deadly creatures circled Xena as she held an injured Gabrielle up in the water. The creatures were clearly drawn to the scent of blood. Xena knew she had to get them out of the water. But the creatures weren't going to let them go without a fight. One of them snapped at Xena, who swung back, trying to get it to back off. But as she did, it chomped down on her arm. Bitting down hard.

XENA 
Gah!

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

With one arm holding Gabrielle and the other in the creatures mouth, Xena seemed defenseless., as another one began moving in for the kill.

XENA 
Come on you bastards!

As it closed in Xena swiftly kicked her foot up, nailing the creature right in the jaw. Causing it to back off a little, as the others continued to circle, ready to strike.

GABRIELLE 
You can't keep fighting like this.

XENA 
You're right. Gabrielle I'm gonna need you to hold on tight okay.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, but what do you plan on doing?

XENA 
Getting us out of here.

Gabrielle knew that there was no time for Xena to explain, but she trusted that Xena knew what she was doing. Xena helped Gabrielle get situated on Xena's back. Gabrielle held on to her, freeing Xena's other arm to use. Allowing her to better fight. Xena quickly punched the creature that still had a hold of her arm. It let her go. As it backed up, another one came   at them. Gabrielle glanced back and saw yet another one of the creatures coming at them.

GABRIELLE 
Xena behind us.

Xena quickly looked around for a way out of the water. She knew that she couldn't keep fighting like this for much longer. A few yards away she saw some vines hanging down from a tree just above the water.

XENA 
Quick hold your breath.

Gabrielle took a deep inhale. Then Xena did the same as she took them both under water. This allowed her to quickly swim under and past the creatures that had them cornered. However the creatures refused to give up in their pursuit. Xena resurfaced with Gabrielle and began swimming as fast as she could towards the low hanging vines she saw. But the creatures were right on her heels. As Xena got a few feet away, she felt one of the creatures get a hold of her leg. Thinking fast, she got Gabrielle off her back, sending her towards the vines. Xena watched as Gabrielle floated over and grabbed onto the vines. Gabrielle looked back at Xena, who was trying to fight off the beast that grabbed her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Xena momentarily turned her attention to Gabrielle.

XENA 
Climb. Don't worry about me, just go!

GABRIELLE 
I can't just leave you.

XENA 
I said go! Now, hurry!

Reluctantly Gabrielle began to climb up the vine, out of the water. Once she got high enough, she watched from above as Xena fought against the creatures in the water. Xena swung her sword, cutting one of the creatures. As she did, another one lept out of the water behind Xena. It crashed down right on top of her, forcing Xena under. Gabrielle couldn't do anything as she helplessly looked on. She waited anxiously for Xena to resurfaced. But after a few moments when she didn't see any sign of Xena, Gabrielle began to become very worried. She could see bubbles coming from below. Gabrielle knew that Xena must've been running out of air.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle looked down into the water,  trying to find Xena. But the color made it impossible to see beneath the surface. Every second that passed felt like an eternity as Gabrielle watched for Xena to resurface. Just hoping that she would come back. Gabrielle waited with baited breath.

GABRIELLE 
Come on Xena.

More time passed and there was still no sign of Xena. The fear of her not coming back began to set in for Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
(thinking to herself) There's no way someone can hold their breath for this long. No Xena.

The water below was still and air around was eerily quiet. Gabrielle closed her eyes as she began to cry.

GABRIELLE 
No, she can't be gone. Xena...  Xena!

Just as Gabrielle yelled, the water below erupted. Gabrielle looked down, as she felt something grab onto the vine she was holding.

GABRIELLE 
Xena! 

Xena took a moment to catch her breath as she looked up at Gabrielle.

XENA 
What, you weren't worried about me were ya?

GABRIELLE 
That's not funny. Are you okay?

XENA 
I'm alright.

Xena began climbing up the vine. As she did the creature re-emerged from the waters depths. Lunging up at Xena. She raced to climb higher as the creature opened it's mouth, ready to clamp down on its prey, Xena. The creature snapped its jaws shut, grabbing the vine and just barely missing Xena's foot. As it beggan to fall back into the water, Xena quickly cut the vine just below where she was holding. The last thing they needed was to be pulled back in the water. Gabrielle and Xena watched as the creature crashed back into the water. Both the creatures circled below for a bit, before deciding it wasn't worth the effort to keep pursuing and swam away. Both Xena and Gabrielle breath a sigh of relief as they watched the creatures disappear from sight.

GABRIELLE 
That was way too close. We seriously need to get out of here.

XENA 
Yeah, no kidding.

GABRIELLE 
So now what?

XENA 
Well no where to go but up.

Xena and Gabrielle climbed the rest of the way up the vine. They sat up in the large tree as they took a much needed rest. Xena scooted around them, trying to relocate the tower that they had been heading for. Finally she spotted it. Then she sat next to Gabrielle.

XENA 
Okay the good news is I found the tower again.

GABRIELLE 
Do I wanna know the bad news?

XENA 
It looks like we still have a good ways to go until we get there.

GABRIELLE 
And just how much is "a good ways"?

XENA 
See for yourself.

Gabrielle looked in the direction Xena pointed. 

GABRIELLE 
Wait what?! It looks like we're barely any closer. How is that possible?

XENA 
We must've back tracked while we were dealing with those creatures in the water.

GABRIELLE 
Well that's just great. Now what do we do? We're never gonna escape this place.

XENA 
Calm down Gabrielle, I promised I'd get us out of here. And that's just what I intend to do.

Xena held Gabrielle as they rested for a while in the tree. Eventually they fell asleep. After some time Xena was awakened by a sound. She opened her eyes and quickly grabbed her sword. Then she saw that it was just the goddess Eirene sitting on another branch of the tree they were in.

EIRENE 
Morning.

Xena lowered her sword.

XENA 
Come to check in again?

Eirene saw that Xena and Gabrielle looked pretty run down and had clearly sustained some injuries from their time in the Abyss.

EIRENE 
Yup. I see you've been having some fun with the creatures here.

Xena scowled at her. But she decided not to respond to that comment. There was something else on Xena's mind that she wanted to discuss.

XENA 
You might not believe me, but I was actually hoping to run into you again.

EIRENE 
Is that so? I'm surprised to hear that. Especially coming from you.

XENA 
Yea me too. But I wanted to talk to you about something I've been thinking about.

EIRENE 
And why would that be.

XENA 
Because you don't like violence. And I'm assuming you know I've been fighting and killing the creatures here. The creatures that you seem to like.

Eirene got a slightly sad look in her eyes.

EIRENE 
Yes I'm aware. Those poor creatures. You just killed them. You and your insatiable need for violence.

XENA 
(Annoyed tone) They attacked us. I was left with no choice.

Xena quickly got back on track

XENA 
But what I could swear to not harm any more of them.

EIRENE 
And why would you do that? Have you accepted your fate?

XENA 
Possibly. I want to make a deal.

EIRENE 
A deal?

XENA 
That's right. I'll give in and stop slaying your precious creatures and take whatever punishment you see fit. One one condition.

EIRENE 
And what if I don't care to hear you're proposition?

XENA 
I'll make it a point to kill every last creature I see. And you should know based off my track record that I'll have no problem doing it.

EIRENE 
You're bluffing.

XENA 
Am I?

Xena took her chakrum and aimed it at a small harmless looking creature that was sitting on a rock below. Eirene didn't flinch. Xena shrugged, then she threw her chakrum at the creature, instantly killing it. 

EIRENE 
No..

Xena looked at Eirene as the chakrum returned to her hand. 

XENA 
If you still don't believe me I'm sure I can find plenty more little things scurrying around here. I wonder how long it'll take to clear this area of them.

EIRENE 
You can't. There's no way you could possibly do that.

XENA 
You wanna test that theory? After all I am a woman of many skills. You've seen my work against human opponents who were armed. What do you think I'll be able to do against unarmed non humans. I won't even give it a second thought.

Eirene could tell that Xena was completely serious.

EIRENE 
Very well, you win. What's your proposition.

XENA 
I'll leave all the creatures alone and spend what ever time I have left here without trying to escape.

EIRENE 
And what is it that you want in return?

Xena looked down at Gabrielle, who was fast asleep in her arms.

XENA 
All I want is for her to get out of here safely. Please, there's no need to punish her for my wrong doings.

Xena looked back at Eirene.

XENA 
That's my deal. You take Gabrielle from this place and let her live out a normal life. And I'll accept your punishment and stay here until I die.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy