×××

Xena and Gabrielle continued to walk as Xena recalled what happened after teaching Akemi the pinch.

GABRIELLE 
Unfortunately? From what you've told me Akemi sounds like a kind person. So what happened? Who did she use the pinch on?

XENA 
It's not who she used it on. It's everything that happened afterwards. Once we reached her father's fortress.

 -----FLASH BACK------

 After a days of traveling Xena and Akemi finally arrived at their destination. Akemi walked up to the house, quietly opened the doors and went in. With Xena following. Once inside Xena could hear soft music being played as she looked around at the houses interior. Taking in the various treasures and valuables that caught her eye. As she was doing this, Xena noticed Akemi pick something up from a table. She didn't notice what it was and didn't really care. After a moment Xena turned to where Akemi had been and saw her just as she slipped past another door into the next room. Curious as to where she was going, Xena followed her. As she entered the room, Xena saw a number of masked dancers performing for a man as he sat on the floor watching. As the dance went on, one of the dancers stepped forward. Walking right up to him. Xena was about to leave to find Akemi when the masked dancer suddenly jabbed their fingers into the man's neck. The man began to gasp as the person standing before him removed their mask. The man's eyes went wide in shock.

MAN
A-kem-i?

AKEMI 
Hello father.

Xena stood there stunned by what had just happened.

XENA 
Father?! Akemi what are you doing?!

Akemi ignored Xena as she explained to her father that he was going to be dead in less than thirty seconds.

AKEMI 
This is for my brothers, my sisters, my mother, and my gentle grandparents. I avenge all their deaths by your hands, monster.

Xena watched as Akemi looked her father right in the eye.

AKEMI 
(Cold tone) I pray you suffer in death the way your family suffered in life.

After a moment passed Akemi's father was dead. Akemi turned to face Xena.

XENA 
What the hell was that?!

AKEMI 
It was my duty to avenge my family. He had to die.

XENA 
I don't care that you killed him. What about the ransom?

Akemi didn't answer Xena as she walked past her, going back outside. Xena followed her.

XENA 
Hey come back here! Where's my money damn it?!

Akemi stood in the snow with her back to Xena.

AKEMI 
Forgive me.

Xena sighed, as she hoped that she still could get something out of all this.

XENA 
You don't by chance gain some sort of inheritance now do you?

Akemi ignored the question as she knelt down while moving her hair to the side.

AKEMI 
Xena I have one final thing to ask of you.

XENA 
Umm okay?

AKEMI 
The sacred Katana. Please use it to restore my honor.

XENA 
Use it to restore your....

Suddenly Xena got a horrible, sickening feeling in her stomach as she realized what Akemi was asking her to do.

XENA 
Wait that's why you gave me the Katana?! So I could...

AKEMI 
Xena please.

XENA 
No absolutely not. I won't do it. What you're asking me to do... I just can't.

As Xena spoke she saw Akemi quickly pull out a small dagger and thrust the blade into her stomach.

AKEMI 
Ugh....

XENA 
Akemi!

AKEMI 
Snow melts... flowers wither and fade... And I too shall pass. As all things do. But time and love... they go on

Xena stood there with tears streaming down her face as she saw the snow under Akemi turing red as she bleed out.

XENA 
Akemi...

AKEMI 
I beg you... Xena... restore my honor.

With her heart breaking, Xena loud sorrowful yell as she raised the sword and swung. Bringing it down and killing Akemi in one swift strike. Then the air was silent as Xena stood looking down at Akemi's decapitated body as it layed in the snow. Her heart shattered. She just stood there for a while. Though stained with tears,  Xena's face was emotionless. All but the immense pain that showed behind her blood shot eyes. Eventually Xena turned around and slowly walked away.

 -----PRESENT------

Gabrielle stood quietly as she looked at Xena. Trying to find the words to express how sorry she felt for Xena having gone through that.

GABRIELLE 
Xena... I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry.

Gabrielle reached over and took Xena's hand in hers as she tried to comfort her. Xena gave her a sad smile. The people of Higuchi were still cheering for Xena as they stood in the village square.

GABRIELLE 
What's gonna happen when you come face to face with Akemi's ghost?

?
A better question is, "How will Xena feel face-to-face with the ghosts of the people she killed at Higuchi?!

 

XENA
What?

Xena and Gabrielle looked over to see a man walking over to them.

GABRIELLE
Who are you?

?
My family name is Harukata.

Kenji, who had also helped save Higuchi walked up beside Xena and Gabrielle.

KENJI
He's also known as the Killer of Ghosts.

GABRIELLE
Xena just saved your city.

HARUKATA
Yes this time. But that does nothing to atone for what happened when last she was here.

GABRIELLE
What?

Gabrielle looked at Xena, and asked what Harukata was talking about.

XENA 
I'm not sure. 

HARUKATA 
Liar! How dare you try and claim innocence. Murderer!

XENA 
Murderer?

Xena searched her memories as she tried to remember what Harukata could've meant, but came with nothing. All she could think of was the pain she felt after taking Akemi's life.

XENA 
I remember making my way through the village. I was fulfilling Akemi's dying wish. She had asked me to place her ashes at her family's shrine here in Higuchi.

-----FLASH BACK------

Xena staggered through the street. Consumed by grief, she had hastily cut her hair and drank herself into a drunken stupper. She carried the jar that contained Akemi's ashes.in one hand and a bottle of ale in the other. Muttering to herself as she trudged through the ice and snow that covered the ground. The people of the town angerly chased after Xena. Believing that a girl who killed her father would defile the graveyard if she was put to rest there. So they were determined to stop Xena before she could fulfill Akemi's final request. Xena forced her way through the crowd, trying to ignore them as they shouted and threw things at her. Suddenly Xena was shoved from behind and fell to the ground. She heard the sound of glass breaking. Lifting her head, Xena saw Akemi's ashes being blown away in the wind. She franticly reached out trying hopelessly to grab them as they slipped through her fingers.

XENA 
No, Akemi.

Xena lowered her head, burying her face in the snow. Clenching her fist, Xena's rage exploded. She let out a angry yell as she hopped up and turned towards the crowd. She snatched a torch from one of them and began swinging it wildly st the people.

XENA 
You bastards!! How dare you judge her when you have no idea!

Xena scowled at the crowd.

XENA 
You wanna have something to be mad about. Fine.

Xena took a drink and blew it into the torch. Sending a burst of fire at the people. One of the mob screamed as he caught on fire. Seeing this caused the rest of the group to back away from Xena. The crowd parted as Xena slowly walked away. She casually tossed the torch aside as she left Higuchi behind.

-----PRESENT------

Gabrielle looked at Xena, seeing the emotional scar that the whole incident had left on her. But knew that nothing she said would be of any comfort. She just held Xena's hand tighter. Harukata glared at Xena.

HARUKATA
You seem to be conveniently leaving out all the people you killed that day.

Xena looked at the man as she tried to figure out what he was talking about.

HARUKATA 
Still playing dumb? Fine. I'll spell it out for you. Because of you the whole village went up in flames. Then the wind spread the fire far and wide. In total over forty thousand people were killed in the blaze.

Xena eyes went wide with the realization of the devastation she had caused.

XENA 
No...

HARUKATA 
That's not all. After Akemi killed her father, Yodoshi's spirit was so full of evil, that even the underworld would not allow him to enter. He soon became Lord Yodoshi, the Eater of Souls. The forty thousand souls that died were captured by him before they could reach the after life. Ever since the souls have been inside Yodoshi, trapped and enslaved to his will.

XENA 
No, what have I done? I'm guilty of an even far greater evil than I ever could've thought.

GABRIELLE 
Xena it was a horrible accident.

XENA 
No Gabrielle this is all my fault. I have to do something about it. I have to set things right.

Xena, Gabrielle, Harukata and kenji left Higuchi. As they traveled Xena thought about how she could ever possibly begin to even attempt to right such a horrific wrong. Or if she even could at all.

×××

Gabrielle looked out at the surrounding area. Xena stood behind her as they prepared for the upcoming battle. 

XENA 
Close your eyes. Listen. What do you hear?

Gabrielle closed her eyes as she listened to the noises surrounding them.

GABRIELLE
I think I heard a horse.

XENA 
Listen harder. What's behind the sounds?

Gabrielle focused harder. Then she quickly opened her eyes and turned towards Xena.

GABRIELLE 
An army. They're coming this way.

XENA 
More like three.

GABRIELLE 
I'll warn the others.

Gabrielle hurried off to tell their allies. Kenji and Harukata walked up to Xena.

KENJI
Xena.

Xena turned to face them. She looked at Harukata.

XENA 
Ghost Killer...I know you think I'm your enemy, but please believe me when I tell you that my heart aches for the pain and suffering I've caused. I can't express just how truly sorry I am for all this.

HARUKATA 
I know. I can see that now. We both want the same thing. To free all those trapped souls. Something that I have thus far failed to do.

XENA 
Why is that?

HARUKATA 
Because I'm still alive. Only a ghost can defeat such a powerful spirit like Yodoshi.

Xena looked out into the distance as the reality of their situation sunk in.

XENA 
I see.

HARUKATA 
We should finish getting ready.

Harukata walked away. Xena stood there for a few more moments as a million different thoughts ran through her mind. She looked up at the sky.

XENA 
I WILL fix this.

Xena left to prepare for the upcoming battle. Gabrielle finished putting on the armor that was given to her and walked into the courtyard. She saw all their allies making the final preparations. But she noticed that someone was missing. Gabrielle spotted Kenji and walked over to him.

GABRIELLE 
Kenji have you seen Xena?

KENJI 
Last I knew she was still preparing. We're gonna be heading out soon.

GABRIELLE 
I'll go find her.

Gabrielle left to go find Xena. She walked inside and looked around. She opened one of the doors and saw Xena quietly kneeling in the middle of the room. 

GABRIELLE 
There you are Xena. The militia is prepared to move out. Are you ready?

Xena looked at her and held out her hand.

XENA 
Gabrielle before we go come here. 

Gabrielle closed the door behind her and walked over letting Xena take her hand in hers as she knelt down in front of Xena. Gabrielle looked at Xena as Xena took her other hand and softly kissed it. Gabrielle could see all the guilt and sadness in Xena's eyes.

GABRIELLE 
...Xena.

XENA 
Shh I just need you to listen to me.

Then Xena held two of Gabrielle's fingers against her neck.

XENA
All right. Here. Feel the surge of blood under the skin. Now, just behind that 

Gabrielle quickly pulled her hands away.

GABRIELLE
Xena wait, you don't have to do this. I understand why you would never wanna teach me the pinch.

XENA
No. No, today more than ever, I want you to know what I know. Please?

Xena took Gabrielle's fingers and put them against her neck again and smiled at Gabrielle. Then she pushed Gabrielle's fingers against the right spot, helping Gabrielle put the Pinch on her. Gabrielle looked at Xena as blood began to come out of her nose.

GABRIELLE 
Why are you doing this?

XENA
Gabrielle, if I only had thirty seconds to live, this is how I'd want to live them, looking into your eyes.

GABRIELLE
Stop this. Stop it.

XENA
Always remember, I love you.

Xena used Gabrielle's hand to undo the Pinch. She gasped as she fell forward onto Gabrielle. Gabrielle brought her arms around Xena and held her.

GABRIELLE
Why would you teach me this right now? I don't understand!

Xena sat back up and wiped the blood away from her nose.

XENA
There's nothing to understand. I just wanted you to know everything I know. That's all.

Xena leaned forward and softly kissed Gabrielle. As she she brushed her cheek.

XENA 
I hope you know just what you mean to me.

GABRIELLE 
Of course I do. Xene what's wrong?

XENA 
Nothing you need to worry about. Now there's one more thing I want to show you.

GABRIELLE 
Xena they're waiting for us out there. 

XENA 
Don't worry it'll only be a few more minutes. 

Though Gabrielle still had a bad feeling about Xena's willingness to suddenly teach her the pinch, she couldn't help but wonder what else Xena could possibly want to show her right now. She took a deep breath and sighed.

GABRIELLE 
Okay what's the other thing you want to show me now?

Xena softly smiled at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Just how much I love you.

Gabrielle felt Xena's fingertips lightly trail down her chest and stomach as Xena kissed her. She climbed on Xena's lap as Xena slipped her hand into her skirt. Gabrielle wrapped her arms around Xena's neck as she felt Xena tracing her fingers along her entrance.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Xena.

Gabrielle moaned softly as Xena pushed her fingers into her. Xena put her free arm around Gabrielle's waist as she began to move inside her. Gabrielle slowly began moving her hips, matching Xena's movements. She clung tightly to Xena as she felt the pressure beginning to build. Suddenly while still holding Gabrielle, Xena layed back. Pulling Gabrielle down on top of her. She kissed Gabrielle as she layed on her back. With her hand caught between them, Xena began moving her hips upwards, sending her fingers deeper into Gabrielle. Gabrielle buried her face in Xena's neck. Letting out a muffled moan so no one would hear them, as she continued to thrust herself onto Xena. The room was silent as Gabrielle began to move faster. Feeling herself on the verge of an orgasism. Xena held her tighter as she continued. Feeling her own high coming too due to the movement of her hips as she pushed up against her hand that was still rapidly moving inside Gabrielle. Xena and Gabrielle pushed against one another. Moving more and more franticly as the edged ever closer to their apex. Then Xena thrust her hips hard once more and felt the waves of extacy crash down on her as she came. The swift movement sent Xena's fingers deep into Gabrielle. Who felt Xena hit just the right spot, causing her to achieve her own release along with Xena. Gabrielle let out a muffled scream of extacy feeling herself tense up as the high surged through her. Xena could feel Gabrielle pulsating around her fingers as she brought her free hand up and placed it on Gabrielle's head. She looked up at the ceiling as the two of them began to settle back down. Wishing more than anything that they could just stay this way forever. Then signed knowing that it impossible. Gabrielle pulled back and looked down at Xena as she pulled her hand out of Gabrielle's skirt.

GABRIELLE 
Xena can I ask you something?

XENA 
Always.

Gabrielle got off of Xena and sat beside her.

GABRIELLE 
What's the real reason why you decided to teach me the pinch?

XENA 
I told you, I just wanted you to know.

Xena stood up.

XENA
Now let's go. We got a battle to win.

Xena walked out of the room. Gabrielle sat there trying to wrap her head around what could've made Xena want to teach her the pinch. especially now that she knew why Xena had refused to do so before.

GABRIELLE 
Xena... Why?

After a few moments Gabrielle got up and went to join the others. With everyone ready they headed out to face the army. Gabrielle, Kenji and the soldiers stepped out of Higuchi and advanced towards the battle field.

KENJI
Wouldn't it be better if we stayed with Xena?

GABRIELLE
Xena wants us to lead a group of soldiers east. She said a group of Yodoshi's archers are gathering there. Come on we have our own jobs to do.

Gabrielle and the others contained through the forest. Unkown to the group Xena stepped out from behind a tree and watched them disappear from sight. Once they were gone, Xena turned away and marched off in the other direction.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Gabrielle, please forgive me for what I have to do. I meant what I said earlier I will always love you. Until the very end.

×××

The sound of armored footsteps could be heard as Gabrielle lead her group of soldiers through the forest.

GABRIELLE 
It's too quiet out here. Where are they?

KENJI 
Maybe they're waiting for us to drop our guard so they can ambush us.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. Something's not right. I can't put my finger on it, but I have a really bad feeling about this.

Meanwhile on the opposite side of the forest, Xena stood on a large rock as she searched for the enemy. She closed her eyes and listened to her surroundings, waiting for her opponent's to make a sound. After a moment her eyes shot open and Xena quickly threw her chakrum. It flew through the air, ricocheting off a tree and striking a wagon that was carrying explosives. The cart blew up in a firery burst, killing the soldiers. The shockwave from the blast knocked Xena back. She covered her head as debris from the blast fell from the sky.

GABRIELLE 
What was that?!

Gabrielle stopped and turned around. Looking towards where the sound of the explosion came from. She quickly realized that was the direction that Xena had gone based on the plans they had discussed earlier. The horrible gut feeling she had been sitting with for quite some time now, had just gotten even worse after hearing the explosion. Then her mind flashed back to Xena, and how strangely Gabrielle had felt when she suddenly decided to teach her the pinch. The way Xena looked at her as she said she'd always love her. And then it all made sense as Gabrielle suddenly realized what Xena was planning.

GABRIELLE 
No. Xena!

Gabrielle quickly took off back towards the direction that Xena was. Running as fast as she could. Just hoping that her suspicions of what Xena was going to do were wrong. Her voice echoed throughout the forest. Xena looked up, hearing Gabrielle yell for her. .

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I'm sorry Gabrielle.

She lowered her head as she stood up and held out her hand to catch her chakrum. Then she looked ahead and saw an army of soldiers coming her way. Hooking her chakrum back on her hip, Xena drew a bow that she had brought with her. She took an arrow out of its quiver and began running towards the soldiers. She yelled as she ran up a fallen tree that layed at an incline, jumped into the air and fired the arrow. The arrow hit one of the soldiers and he dropped the the ground dead. Xena landed as the soldiers leader yelled for his men to charge Xena. Xena didn't flinch as she continued to out maneuver her enemies. She ran along, firing multiple shots. Skillfully taking every person she shot at down in a single strike. As she fought Xena suddenly heard something. Recognizing the sound, Xena quickly turned around and caught an arrow in midair just before it hit her. Suddenly she heard the army's leader yell again. This time shouting "FIRE!" Xena looked up, seeing a whole row of archers up on a ledge, as they released their arrows. Sending them right for Xena. She quickly tried to take cover behind a tree. She ran trying to avoid the incoming projectiles. Arrows flew past her. Xena suddenly yelled in pain as she felt one hit her shoulder.

XENA 
GAH!

Dispite being hit, Xena made it behind the tree. She quickly broke off most of the arrow and threw it down. Unable to safely remove it from her flesh at the moment. She sneered as she popped out from behind the tree to take a shot at the archers. She fired, hitting one of them. But at the same time another wave of the enemies arrows were launched at her. With no time to react, Xena got hit again. This time by multiple shots. She knew that she had to find better cover and fast. Xena looked around and spotted the remains of the cart she blew up. After waiting for a momentary cease fire, she quickly ran for the cart. As Xena ran more arrows rained down on her. She covered her head as they flew past her and stuck into the ground around her. Xena continued to run. She was almost there when an arrow hit her leg and she dropped to the ground. Xena yelled as she crawled the rest of the way to the cart. She had just reached the cart and turned to lean against it and pull herself over to the other side, when yet another arrow flew in hit. Pinning her arm to the cart. Now Xena was getting mad. She quickly freed her arm and got back to her feet.

XENA 
You're stating to piss me off!

Xena drew her sword and let out an angery yell as she began running as best she could towards the soldiers. Arrows continued to be fired at her as she ran. Xena reached the first soldier and cut him down in one hit.

XENA 
Come on!

More soldiers ran up to her and Xena ran her blade through them. She fought with everything she had. Cutting down anything that came near her. Blood sprayed all over as she continued to fight. Suddenly Xena yelled as she was struck from behind by an arrow.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Enough of the arrows already!

Then she was hit again. As Xena quickly glanced back to see the arrows sticking out of her back, she heard a yell. Xena quickly looked forward, seeing a soldier had closed in on her. She moved her sword to deflect the attack, but was too late as she felt the sharp pain of the enemies blade pierce her stomach.

XENA 
...Ugh...uh...

Xena gasped as she coughed up blood. She felt the sword being pulled back out and took the chance to return the favor and drove her sword into the enemy soldier. Her hands let go of the sword as the soldier fell to the ground dead. Now unarmed Xena weakly stood as yet another enemy charged at her. Her vision blurred, her body, covered in blood, both the enemy's and her own. All her strength was gone. It took everything she had just to stand. The soldier closed in and swung his sword at Xena. Aiming for her neck. Xena knew that she had lost. Realizing that this was going to be her final moments, Xena's mind flashed back to the one thing that she loved most in this world and with tears in her eyes she yelled at the top of her lungs for her.

XENA 
Gabrielle!!!

A second latter, the forest floor began to turn red, as blood pooled on the cold ground. And a lifeless body fell to the ground.

×××

 

Everything was black. There was a horrible gurgling sound. Then silence. After a moment a voice echoed as it broke through the quiet darkness.

?
Xena... Xena.

Xena slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was slightly blurry due to blood loss. She had shut them reflexively when she saw the sword coming at her.

XENA 
Am I... Dead?

Slowly Xena's surroundings came into focus.

XENA 
...W-what? 

After a moment Xena could see normally.

XENA 
...Gabrielle? 

Xena couldn't believe her eyes. But there in front of her was Gabrielle fighting off the soldiers. She had cut down the soldier that was ready to kill Xena just before he could swing. Gabrielle cut down anyone who came near them. Standing between Xena and the army. Too weak to stand any longer, Xena collapsed. She sat leaning up against the destroyed cart.

XENA 
Gabrielle what are you doing here?!

Xena tried to get up but couldn't. She watched as Gabrielle fended off the enemy. Gabrielle glanced back seeing Xena looking at her. She smiled at her for a moment and then continued to fight. She took down more soldiers as they changed at them. Not letting anyone get near Xena. She fought for a while when suddenly the enemy stopped charging at them. And began to back off. Gabrielle huffed as she watched the army retreat.

GABRIELLE 
I think we scared them off.

She turned around and knelt down in front of Xena.

XENA 
Gabrielle, you shouldn't be here.

Gabrielle looked at Xena. Seeing the arrows sticking out of her body and the blood that covered her. She began trying to remove some of the arrows.

GABRIELLE 
Xena what were you thinking?!

Xena winced as she felt Gabrielle get one of the arrows out of her flesh.

XENA 
Why are you here? You're supposed to be with the others.

GABRIELLE 
I was until I realized what you were doing. Xena why would you...

From the distance Xena suddenly heard the army's leader once again yell "Fire!"

XENA 
Gabrielle move!

GABRIELLE 
Wha...

Gabrielle looked behind her and saw a fleet of arrows raining down towards her and Xena. She quickly turned back to Xena began franticly trying to lift her.

XENA 
Gabrielle no.

Xena was too weak to push her away. Gabrielle felt an arrow hit her in the back of her shoulder.

GABRIELLE
Aaa!

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Even though she had been hit, Gabrielle managed to get Xena up. As arrows rained down around them. She then rolled Xena over to the other side of the cart. Using it to shield her. Then Gabrielle began to climb over herself. But was stopped when another arrow hit her.

GABRIELLE
Ugh!

She collapsed on the side of the cart.

XENA 
Gabrielle no!

Xena reached up, grabbing Gabrielle's arm and pulled her the rest of the way over and behind the cart. She landed in Xena's lap as Xena huddled around her trying her best to cover her as she ducked to avoid the arrows as they flew around them. After a few minutes the arrows stopped again. Xena sat back and looked down at Gabrielle.

XENA 
You okay?

GABRIELLE
More or less.

Gabrielle winced as Xena broke off the arrow.

GABRIELLE 
Why'd they stop firing?

XENA 
They're probably just getting ready for the next barrage.

Xena looked over the cart when she heard shouting.

XENA 
Damn it! Or they're just gonna charge us again. 

Gabrielle rolled over and pulled herself to her feet. 

GABRIELLE
We need to get out of here.

She reached down to try and get Xena up.

XENA 
It's no use Gabrielle. I can't run. I can barely even stand at this point. You have to run. Go get out of here while you can. 

GABRIELLE 
No I won't leave you here to die Xena.

Xena tried to argue but before she could both she and Gabrielle were surrounded. One of the soldiers was ready to strike aiming his sword for Gabrielle. Xena couldn't move her out of the way.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

?
Stop!

Just before the enemy soldier swung he stopped. He looked behind him and lowered his weapon as he quickly stepped to the side. Xena and Gabrielle watched as the enemy leader walked in front of his soldiers. He eyed the two of them for a moment and then turned away. He whispered something to one of his men and walked away. Before Xena and Gabrielle had time to wounder what that was about, a number of the soldiers went over and grabbed Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle! No, let her go.

Gabrielle struggled as the soldiers pulled her away. Then a few more soldiers came over and took Xena.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

Xena and Gabrielle were both restrained and carried off. Later that night they sat outside in a makeshift prison cell at the enemy army's base as the rain came down. Still weak and injured from the battle, Xena sat leaning up against the cell as she looked sadly at Gabrielle.

XENA 
You shouldn't have come for me.

GABRIELLE 
I don't get it Xena. What were you doing out there? Even you can't take on that many enemies by yourself. You could've died. Hades you almost did.

XENA 
I know.

GABRIELLE 
You know?! You know the way you say that it makes it sound like you were practically trying to get yourself killed.

Xena didn't say anything as she looked away. Gabrielle looked at Xena, shocked by the realization that just hit her.

GABRIELLE 
Wait a minute. Xena you wanted to die?!

The look in Xena's eyes confirmed Gabrielle's suspicions.

GABRIELLE 
I know you blame yourself for all this but how could you just want to throw your life away like that. 

Xena saw tears beginning to form in Gabrielle's eyes? 

XENA 
It's not that I want to die. I have to.

GABRIELLE 
Xena that's not right. Think about what you're saying. You dying won't bring those people back.

XENA 
You're right my dying won't change the fact that all those people are dead. But it will free their souls.

GABRIELLE 
That doesn't make sense. How will you dying free them?

XENA 
Because only a ghost can kill Yodoshi. So don't you see if i don't die all those souls will stay imprisoned. It's my fault that this happened. I have to free them Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
We'll find another way to free them. One that doesn't include you dying.

XENA
There is none.

GABRIELLE 
Then we'll make one. You are not going to die Xena. Not for this. I won't let you. Now we need to get out of here. Then we can figure out how to stop Yodoshi.

Gabrielle got up and walked to the front of the cell. She looked out at the camp. Trying to figure out how they were going to get out of there. Xena held on to the cage bars and pulled herself up. She staggered over to where Gabrielle was standing.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you shouldn't be moving around right now.

Xena held the cage as she leaned against it. Keeping herself up. She tried to make Gabrielle not worry so much and tried to make light of her current condition.

XENA 
(Joking) Oh come on I've been in worse shape than this.

GABRIELLE 
This isn't funny Xena. You purposely tried to get yourself killed. And came damn close to succeeding.

XENA 
I know. But arguing about that now isn't going to help us escape. So for now let's focus on getting out of here. Okay?

GABRIELLE 
Okay. But how? There's a ton of soldiers out there. 

Xena looked out at the army as they prepared for the next battle.

XENA 
I think I have an idea.

×××

Thunder rumbled as Xena and Gabrielle stood captive in Yodoshi's army's base. Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
So what do we do to get out of here?

XENA 
Right now, nothing.

GABRIELLE 
But I thought you said you had an idea for how we could escape.

XENA 
Just wait. Any time now.

Gabrielle looked at Xena wondering what she had up her sleeve. Xena weakly learned against the cage as she surveyed the area. She looked up and noticed a couple of dark figures in the trees by the base entrance.

XENA 
Gabrielle. Get ready.

GABRIELLE 
For what?

XENA 
To run.

GABRIELLE 
To run?

Before Gabrielle had any more time to wounder what Xena meant a loud explanation went off. Blasting open the base's gate. A number of the enemy soldiers were sent flying from the blast.

GABRIELLE 
What was that?!

XENA 
Looks like the search party finally made it.

Gabrielle looked out as the dust and smoke cleared. Surprised by what she saw.

GABRIELLE 
It's Kenji and Harukata. And they brought a bunch of the militia with them.

A fight broke out as the two sides clashed. Xena and Gabrielle watched from inside the cage as the battle ensued. Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You knew they were coming didn't you?

XENA 
Before we left I asked Kenji to keep an eye on you. I thought you might figure out what I was planning and come looking for me. And he was supposed to keep you away.

GABRIELLE 
Wait so he knew what you were planning?

XENA 
No. I just asked him to stay with you. So I'm guessing they tracked you here.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
When this is over you and I are going to have a serious conversation about your sense of justice Xena.

Xena sighed as Kenji ran up to the cage and unlocked it. Freeing Xena and Gabrielle.

KENJI 
You two okay?

GABRIELLE 
I've certainly had better days.

KENJI 
At least you're both still in one piece. Can you walk?

Xena staggered out of the cage past Kenji. Gabrielle quickly followed, looking at keji as she kept up.

GABRIELLE 
Kinda.

Kenji turned and followed them.

GABRIELLE 
Xena wait, let me help you.

Gabrielle got over to her as Xena pulled a sword out of a fallen soldier.

GABRIELLE 
What are you doing? You're in no condition to fight.

XENA 
Well they're not just gonna let us walk out of here now are they?

GABRIELLE 
Fine. I guess you're safer with a sword here. But stay near me. 

Gabrielle grabbed a sword too. And so Gabrielle, Xena and their allies fought against the enemy army. The battle waged on as people from both sides fell. And the muddy ground began to run red with the blood of the dead. Gabrielle yelled as she cut down the enemies that stood in her way. She looked a head and saw that they had a clear path to the camp's entrance.

GABRIELLE 
We're almost there. We'll be out of here soon Xena.

Gabrielle looked back but didn't see Xena. She quickly turned around.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Gabrielle looked around trying to find Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle ran back the way she came as she tried to find Xena. She stomped through the muddy puddles as she raced through the camp. Harukata saw Gabrielle run by.

HARUKATA 
Where are you going? The way out is that way.

He pointed in the opposite direction.

GABRIELLE 
I can't find Xena.

HARUKATA 
I just saw her over there.

He motioned in the direction that he had seen Xena. Gabrielle nodded, thanking him and headed the way Harukata had pointed. Gabrielle fought her way through the camp. Looking for Xena. After a few more moments of searching Gabrielle finally spotted her. She saw Xena fighting one of the soldiers. But due to her serious injuries she was having a much harder time than normal. Realizing Xena was in trouble, Gabrielle raced towards her. Gabrielle was nearly there when she saw a blade come through Xena's chest. Her eyes went wide as she watched Xena fall to the ground.

GABRIELLE 
XENA!!! 

Gabrielle dropped her sword as she knelt down and took Xena in her arms.

GABRIELLE 
No. Xena no.

Xena looked up at Gabrielle 

XENA 
I'm sorry Gabrielle.... This was the only way.

Xena closed her eyes as her body went limp in Gabrielle's arms. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena don't do this. Xena! Xena!

Gabrielle shook her, but got no response. The battle still wageing around them. Harukata came over and put his hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. He looked down at Xena.

HARUKATA 
It's too late. She gone.

The rain continued to fall as Gabrielle held Xena's body while she cried.

HARUKATA 
This is what she wanted. This is how she plans to save all those souls.

Out of grief Gabrielle snapped at Harukata.

GABRIELLE 
I don't care! She didn't have to die. We could've found some other way. How dose she even know that will work anyway?

HARUKATA 
I told her.

Gabrielle glared at him.

GABRIELLE 
What?

HARUKATA 
I'm sorry but it's true. Now Xena is the only one that can kill Yodoshi.

GABRIELLE 
Then you can help me get her out of here.

She looked away and back down at Xena.

HARUKATA 
I have one question. Would you risk your life for the return of hers?

GABRIELLE
Without hesitation.

KENJI
Then there is a way, Gabrielle. You must take her body, burn it, then sprinkle the ashes into the Fountain of Strength on Mount Fuji. You must find the fountain
before the second sunset after death.

GABRIELLE 
Then that's what I'll do.

Gabrielle looked up at the night sky.

GABRIELLE 
You hear me Xena. So you better hurry up and beat Yodoshi.

Gabrielle looked at keji and Harukata.

GABRIELLE 
Help me get her.

.?
You're not taking her anywhere.

Gabrielle stood up and turned around.

GABRIELLE 
Whose going to stop me?

MORIMOTO
My name is Morimoto and your friend was a fine opponent. Her life is one trophies an honourable samurai could ever claim.

GABRIELLE
You call yourself honourable? You stabbed her from behind. You're not a samurai.You're a fraud. You couldn't have killed Xena unless she wanted you to.

The man glared at Gabrielle.

MORIMOTO
I think it's you who has a death wish!

GABRIELLE
I accept the challenge.

×××

The rain continued to fall as Gabrielle stood across from Morimoto.

MORIMOTO
You really think you can beat me?

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she held her sword ready. The only sound that could be heard was the rain as it fell down on them. Gabrielle and Morimoto slowly began to circle each other. Both waiting for their opening to strike. As Gabrielle waited for her opportunity, Xena's words ran through her mind.

XENA (voice in Gabrielle's head)
Listen not just to the sounds, but to what's behind the sounds.

Gabrielle listened to the sounds of the rain, the fire as it crackled, the horses snorting. Morimoto's footsteps in the mud. Everything around her painted a picture in Gabrielle's mind. Suddenly, Morimoto yelled as he swung his sword towards Gabrielle. Gabrielle effortlessly deflected his attack. And one swift motion knocked him forward onto his knees. Morimoto attempted to stand back up when out of the corner of his eye he saw a sharp blade come for his neck. Stopping just before it broke the skin. He spoke as he felt the cold steel resting against his throat.

MORIMOTO
It was an honour to send Xena to an early grave. If I cannot do the same to you then I ask you to grant me a noble defeat. Please, remove my head in one strIke.

Gabrielle tightly clenched the sword as she stared down at him.

GABRIELLE
No. You're not worth it.

Before Morimoto could respond Gabrielle hit him it the back of his head with the bottom of her swords handle and knocked him unconscious. She didn't say anything as she sheathed her sword and walked to where Xena layed dead.

GABRIELLE
Keji give me a hand.

Kenji walked over and helped pick up Xena's body. No one said anything as Gabrielle and her allies left the camp. Not long after Gabrielle stood in front of the funeral pyre as they cremated Xena's body. Tears rolled down her face as she stared into the flames.

GABRIELLE
I'll bring you back Xena. I promise.

During this time Xena's ghost had made it to the land of the dead and reunited with Akemi.

AKEMI
You came to me in my dreams and I thought it was reality. Now you come to me in reality. It feels like it's a dream.

Xena smiled as she hugged her. Tears in her eyes as she remembered the last time she had seen Akemi.

XENA
I'm so sorry. For everything.

Akemi just smiled at her. They sat in a small house as Xena looked around.

XENA
Akemi Something's been bothering me about this place. I've been in the underworld before, but it was never like this.

AKEMI
Everything you see here is an illusion, projected by Yodoshi.

XENA
But you look the same as I remember you.

AKEMI
Maybe but he controls everything in this place. And while we are under his power and must obey his will.

XENA
Well see about that.

As Xena and Akemi spoke one of the woman in the room with them stomped her foot on the floor. Jingling the anklet she was wearing. Then there was a noise from outside. Xena looked toward the sound but then looked back at Akemi and the others when she saw them all drop down to a bowing potion.

AKEMI
Quick get down.

Xena was about to ask what was going on when the doors in front of her were busted through by a whirlwind. After a moment the spinning stopped and there In front of Xena stood Yodoshi. Xena glared at him as she stood up.

YODOSHI
You're not bowing.

XENA
Make me.

YODOSHI
You will bow to me!

Yodoshi took a deep breath and blew a strong gust of wind at Xena. Knocking her to the ground. Then changing his arm into a flaming whip he began to strike Xena over and over. Xena yelled in pain as felt the flesh on her back being torn open and then immediately seared closed from the flames. After whipping her several times, Yodoshi walked over to Xena and grabbed her by her hair pulling her face up to look at him for a moment as he gave her an evil smile. Then he shoved her head down, forcing Xena to bow to him.

YODOSHI
Now what do you say?

XENA
I am at your service, Lord Yodoshi.

YODOSHI
That's right and you should be sure to remember that. An eternity of playing the
whore to service my appetite for souls.

Yodoshi laughed as he turned back into a tornado and went back through the door pulling the door back together as he left. Some time later Xena and Akemi sat by a pond as they talked.

AKEMI
Xena I was so worried that you wouldn't show Yodoshi respect. He's very dangerous you know.

XENA
I wasn't showing him respect. I'm going to kill Yodoshi and finally put an end all this suffering.

Akemi smiled at her.

AKEMI 
I believe you may be the only person that could.  

Akemi looked out at the trees that surrounded them.

AKEMI 
There's someone out there.

Xena looked out.

XENA 
I'll be right back.

Xena stood up and walked off. She walked through some bushes until she found the person that was walking around.

XENA 
Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
Xena?!

Gabrielle looked at Xena. Stunned to see Xena standing in front of her after having just burned her dead body not long ago. Then she remembered what Xena had told her before. Unsure if she'd be able to touch Xena, Gabrielle slowly reached out to her. Xena took Gabrielle's hand and pulled her in as she hugged her.

XENA 
I'm sorry Gabrielle. This really was the only way.

Gabrielle put her arms around Xena as she cried a little.

GABRIELLE 
Is that supposed to make me feel better? You're my whole life, Xena. I can't lose you.

XENA
You won't lose me. I promise.

Harukata walked over. Gabrielle looked at him and drew her sword, pointing it at him.

GABRIELLE 
This is all your fault. If you hadn't told Xena that she needed to die to stop Yodoshi!

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder.

XENA 
Calm down Gabrielle, he didn't make me do anything I wasn't already prepared to do.

Xena gently pushed Gabrielle's arm down.

XENA 
Everything's going to be alright.

Xena's eyes looked over the bushes, knowing that someone was watching them. She gave a slight nod to Harukata. Then Xena ran over and and pulled a woman out of the bushes. Xena yelled as she tossed the woman towards Harukata, who thrust his sword into the air as the woman landed on the tip of his blade. She let out a loud shriek as she as she vanished. Xena quickly dove and caught the anklet that was left behind before it hit the ground. Xena smiled as stood back up. She walked over and handed Akemi the anklet.

XENA 
Now we can bring Yodoshi to use when we're ready to take him out.

Gabrielle walked over to them. Xena smiled as she looked at her. She reached out and took Gabrielle's hand.

XENA 
Akemi this is Gabrielle. My soulmate. She's a writer, like you.

Akemi gave Gabrielle a friendly smile.

AKEMI 
It's so nice to meet you.

GABRIELLE 
Same here.

Kenji walked over to them. 

KENJI 
Gabrielle if you want to bring Xena back, we have to leave soon if we're going to make it to Mount Fuji in time.

Gabrielle nodded. She looked at Xena as she began to turn to leave,, when Akemi stopped her.

AKEMI 
Wait I have a gift I would like to give you to help protect you on your journey.

Akemi lead Gabrielle inside as Xena followed. Gabrielle layed on her stomach as Akemi began to give her a tattoo. Xena layed beside Gabrielle as she watched, holding Gabrielle's hand the whole time. Once Akemi was finished, Gabrielle had a large dragon tattoo on her back and a fish on her leg. She was given a new shirt that she put on under her armor. Once she was ready Gabrielle stood in front of Xena and Akemi.

XENA
Good luck, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle began to walk away, but then she stopped and turned back to face Xena.

GABRIELLE
We will meet again on the side of Mount Fuji before sunset tomorrow Xena.

XENA
See you there.

And so Gabrielle left and set out for Mount Fuji. Leaving Xena, Kenji, Harukata and Akemi to face Yodoshi.

×××

There was a small jingle and then a quiet rumble in the distance as a woman sat beside a bath, her back to the door as she looked into the water. She slightly turned her head towards a sound in the distance that appeared to be coming her way. Seemingly unphased she turned back and gently ran her fingers along the surface of the water. It was quiet until there was a loud crash as Yodoshi burst through the door. He stood looking at the woman.

YODOSHI 
Ah there you are.

The woman turned around to face him. Taking Yodoshi off guard.

YODOSHI 
You're not supposed to be here.

XENA 
Surprise.

Xena held up the anklet, jingling it a little. Then there was a loud splash as Harukata jumped out of the water and drove his katana into Yodoshi. He yelled as he swatted Harukata away. The sword fell to the ground as Xena jumped up and kicked Yodoshi into the bath. Then she quickly grabbed the sword and repeatedly stabbed the water. But stopped when she realized he was no longer there. Xena looked around.

XENA 
Damn it, where'd he go?

Steam began to come out of the water and fill the room. Xena, Harukata and Akemi, who came out of her hiding spot looked around the room, trying to find Yodoshi. The room was silent except for a small dripping sound. Xena looked up to see water dripping from the ceiling. And realized that they were in trouble.

XENA 
Move now!

Just as the words left her mouth, there was an explanation from a puddle at their feet as Yodoshi emerged from it. Knocking Xena, Akemi and Harukata back. As they were getting back up, Yodoshi grabbed Akemi and effortlessly tossed her through the wall.

XENA 
Akemi!

Xena stood up and angry charged Yodoshi. She went to throw a punch when he caught her by her wrist. He punched Xena hard in the stomach, stunning her for a moment as he lifted her off the ground by her arm. Xena yelled in pain as she felt her wrist being burned in Yodoshi's grasp. He then threw Xena across the room. She smacked into the wall and landed on the floor. Yodoshi then turned to see Harukata running at him ready to strike. Harukata raised his sword to attack when he stopped.

HARUKATA 
Ugh....

He looked down to see a blade in his stomach. Yodoshi laughed.

YODOSHI 
Ahh nice try, ghost killer.

Yodoshi kicked Harukata off of his sword and watched him fall to the floor. He laughed, though his laugher quickly stopped when he felt his arm get cut off. He looked behind him and saw Xena. Yodoshi yelled as he knocked Xena away with his other arm and jumped up, breaking through the roof, making a hasty retreat. Xena ran and looked up through the hole.

XENA 
COWARD!

Hearing a noise Xena turned around and saw Akemi as she sat up outside. Xena ran over to her.

XENA 
Akemi.

AKEMI 
I'm okay.

XENA 
I guess being dead already has it's advantages.

Xena helped Akemi up. Then she looked back up at the hole in the ceiling.

XENA 
Well now what?

HARUKATA 
We try again.

Xena and Akemi looked to see Harukata sitting up.

XENA 
Good to see you're still with us.

Xena went over to him and crouched down.

XENA 
I don't get it, what went wrong?

Harukata sighed.

HARUKATA 
He must be drinking from the fountain of strength on Mount Fuji.

He winced in pain.

XENA 
What can we do?

HARUKATA 
If you go to Mount Fuji and drink from the fountain, you should be able to defeat Yodoshi for good.

Harukata then closed his eyes and died. Xena lowered her head.

XENA 
One more victim to this terrible nightmare. 

Xena stood up and made a vow.

XENA
I'll stop that bastard no matter what.

Meanwhile, after traveling non stop from the enemies camp, Gabrielle had finally made it to the base of Mount Fuji. She looked up at the mountain then she looked down at the small urn that she was holding containing Xena's ashes.

GABRIELLE 
I'm here. I'll be seeing you real soon...

She looked back at the mountain.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

×××

The cold wind blew the snow on the ground as Gabrielle looked at the mountain in front of her. She took a deep breath and began walking.

?
I will not allow you to go any further.

Gabrielle turned around and saw Morimoto standing behind her.

MORIMOTO 
You won't be reaching that fountain to revive your friend.

Gabrielle drew her sword.

GABRIELLE 
I'm bringing Xena back. And I won't let you or anyone else stop me.

Gabrielle held Xena's urn tightly in one arm as she held her sword ready with the other. Morimoto drew his weapon and changed Gabrielle. Their steel clashed as they fought. During the fighting Morimoto knocked the urn out of Gabrielle's grasp. It rolled over to the edge of the cliff.

GABRIELLE 
No!

Gabrielle quickly pushed Morimoto away and ran after the urn. She dove as it went off the edge. Catching it just in time. 

GABRIELLE 
I got ya Xena.

Gabrielle hung upside down off the side of the cliff. One hand holding the urn and the other on a rock holding herself up. Her legs barely touching the top of the cliff. She looked trying to figure out how she was going to get back up. Then she heard Morimoto's voice above her. She looked to see him standing by her feet.

MORIMOTO
Good you've just made this alot easier for me.

Gabrielle's eyes went wide when he kicked at her feet to knock her off the cliff. Gabrielle quickly moved her foot at the last second causing him to miss. Then she placed her foot back down behind his and swept it to the side, knocking him off balance and causing him to fall. Morimoto yelled as he plummeted over the cliff. Gabrielle sighed but couldn't relax just yet.

GABRIELLE 
Now I have to get back up.

While this was happening Yodoshi arrived a the mountain. He opened the flow of water to the fountain. And was just about to drink from it when Xena ran up and shoved him aside. But before she could drink, Yodoshi blasted her away. Xena crashed into bolder and fell to the ground. Gabrielle just made it to the top to see Xena being sent flying.

GABRIELLE 
Xena! 

Gabrielle ran over to her. Yodoshi ignored them as he looked up seeing an icicles that was slowly dripping into the fountain. He shot out his tongue, grabbing the icicle with it and bringing to him as he swallowed it. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena, what happened?

Gabrielle knelt down beside Xena as she held her. Xena weakly smiled as she looked up at Gabrielle.

XENA 
See... told you I'd see you here.

Akemi stood in front of Yodoshi as his arm that had been cut off grew back.

YODOSHI 
Now for you.

He began to inhale creating a strong vacuum. Akemi tried to resist being pulled in. She stabbed her sword into the ground as she was lifted into the air. She tried to pull herself away. But unable to hold on, Akemi's hands slipped and she was sucked into Yodoshi and swallowed. Yodoshi laughed. While that was happening Xena layed in Gabrielle's arms as she weakly spoke.

XENA 
The fountain of strength. Get water from.. the fountain.

Gabrielle looked over and saw the fountain. She nodded as got up and went to get some of the water from it. Gabrielle got to the fountain and looked into the water realizing that she didn't have anything that she could use to get the water over to Xena. As Gabrielle stood there Yodoshi spat out a fireball at her. It hit Gabrielle in her back, knocking her forward a little. But then it bounced off and slammed into Yodoshi, sending him flying back. Gabrielle stood back up straight uninjured by the attack due to the tattoo on her back. She quickly looked back at Xena who was still laying on the ground. Then she realized how she could get Xena the water. Gabrielle quickly scooped some water into her mouth and raced back over to Xena. She knelt down and held Xena's head in her hands as she kissed her. Passing the water from her mouth to Xena's. Then she pulled away slightly and looked at Xena as she opened her eyes and smiled at her.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Gabrielle smiled back at her.

XENA
Thanks I needed that.

Gabrielle laughed a little. Suddenly feeling a surge of energy course through her, Xena sprung up to her feet. In a flash her regular armor appeared on her. Gabrielle stood up in front of her.

XENA 
I'm gonna need that if I wanna finish the job for good.

Xena pointed to the katana that Gabrielle had been using. Gabrielle handed Xena the sword.

XENA 
Thank you.

Gabrielle noticed the shadows on the ground and quickly looked up at the sun that had begun to set.

GABRIELLE 
The sun is setting, Xena. I have to get your ashes to the fountain.

XENA
(whispering) Gabrielle.

YODOSHI 
You!

Xena turned around to see Yodoshi staring at her furiously. Gabrielle quickly raced off to get Xena's ashes.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

YODOSHI 
I'm ending this!

Xena scowled at him.

XENA 
My thoughts exactly.

Xena let out her battle cry both she and Yodoshi jumped into the air and clashed. The power that the fountain gave them created a firery blast as they collided. 

GABRIELLE 
Get 'em Xena.

Gabrielle looked up for a brief moment seeing the explosion before resuming her mission. But when she looked down she realized that Xena's urn was gone.

GABRIELLE 
No, no where'd it go?

She began digging through the snow, figuring it must've gotten buried when she ran to Xena or to get her the water.  

GABRIELLE 
No, damn it where are you?

As Gabrielle searched through the snow, Xena and Yodoshi landed back on the ground. He yelled angerly at Xena.

YODOSHI 
Enough of this! You are about to join the forty thousand souls you condemned, Xena. And the first thing I'll do is take the head off your little friend with the tattoo.

Xena stared at him.

XENA
(Cold tone) You won't live that long.

YODOSHI 
We'll see about that, Xena!

Xena stood across from Yodoshi ready for their final showdown. As Gabrielle franticly tried to find Xena's urn that had gotten buried in the snow. She looked up at the sky seeing the sun sinking further down. 

GABRIELLE 
No I'm running out of time.

She began looking more franticly. Her hands burning from the cold snow.

GABRIELLE 
I have to find Xena's ashes so I can bring her back before it's too late.

×××

 

Xena stood face to face with Yodoshi. Tightly clenching the katana as she stared him down. Neither of them said anything as they each waited for the other to make their move. Finally Yodoshi yelled as he threw out a fire ball. Xena swung the sword and knocked it away with ease. Yodoshi angerly growled as he threw out another attack that ended in the same result. Giving up on projectiles, Yodoshi charged Xena swinging his sword. Xena swung too as their weapons clashed. 

YODOSHI 
I will end you.

XENA 
You won't even get close.

Xena pushed Yodoshi back as they continued to fight. While Xena was battling Yodoshi, Gabrielle was still desperately trying to find Xena's urn that had gotten buried in the snow after dropping it in shock of seeing Xena getting thrown into the side of the cliff. Her hands were freezing as she dug through the snow. But Gabrielle didn't care. She continued to search as fast as she could. Knowing that she didn't have much longer until time ran out to revive Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Come on. Come on. Where is it?!

Xena and Yodoshi continued to face off. Matching strike for strike. Suddenly Yodoshi kicked Xena, sending her back. Xena quickly back flipped and landed on her feet just as Yodoshi charged at her again. Xena waited until he was almost to her, then she jumped over his head and landed behind him. She quickly turned around and kicked him forward. Yodoshi yelled as he regained his balance. He went right back in for the attack. But just as Xena thought he was going to strike, Yodoshi jumped over her and landed right behind Xena. Yodoshi yelled as he quickly spun around swinging his sword to finish Xena. Wasting no time Xena reversed the way she was holding her sword and thrust it behind her. Impaling Yodoshi.

YODOSHI 
Ugh..

Xena then yanked the blade out and in one fluent motion, spun around to face Yodoshi and cut off his head. Finally putting an end to the horrible nightmare. His body dropped to the ground as all the souls that he had keeping trapped inside him began to fly out of his body. Xena watched as the souls moved around her. Relieved that she was able to finally set them free.

?
Xena. 

Xena turned around and saw Akemi's soul.

XENA 
Akemi.

AKEMI 
You did it Xena. You've redeemed me. You've redeemed them. You've redeemed yourself.

XENA 
Go in peace, Akemi.

Xena sadly smiled as she watched Akemi's and the rest of the freed souls float up and disappear into the after life that they were finally free to join at long last. Xena looked up at the sky.

XENA 
We'll meet again, one day.

Xena sighed as turned around and walked away as the sun began to set. Meanwhile Gabrielle was still trying to find Xena's ashes. 

GABRIELLE 
No they're not here. How? 

She looked up seeing the suns position in the sky.

GABRIELLE 
No I'm almost out of time. No Xena.

Feeling defeated and like she had failed Xena, Gabrielle angrily slammed her fist on the ground as she lowered her head.

GABRIELLE 
I'm so sorry Xena. Now I can't bring you back. No damn it!

Gabrielle sadly raised her head. Realizing that she had failed. Out of the corner of her eye she saw something shinning as it reflected the light from the setting sun. Gabrielle turned her head to see something in the snow between some rocks.

GABRIELLE 
It can't be.

Gabrielle quickly got up and went over to the rocks. A huge smile appeared on Gabrielle's face as she bent down and carefully picked up Xena's urn.

GABRIELLE 
There you are. Let's get you to that fountain.

Gabrielle quickly made her way back to the fountain. She knelt down and opened the urn, ready to pour Xena's ashes into the water. Then Gabrielle saw a hand come up next to her, stopping her from reviving Xena.

XENA 
No. Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked beside her. Seeing Xena as she knelt down.

GABRIELLE 
Xena..

Xena put thelid back on the urn. As she sadly looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
No.

GABRIELLE
Xena, the sun is setting. I have to bring you back to life.

XENA
No. Not if it means condemning the souls of the forty thousand who burned at Higuchi.

GABRIELLE
The souls are free.

XENA
They're free from Yodoshi's grasp. Akemi didn't wanna tell me this in case I wouldn't come back to help...but for those souls to be released into
a state of grace, they must be avenged. I must stay dead.

GABRIELLE
But if I bring you back to life...

XENA
Those souls will be lost forever.

GABRIELLE 
But Xena, you don't know that.

Gabrielle began to cry.

GABRIELLE 
And even if that is true. I don't care. You're all that matters to me.

XENA 
Don't you know how much I wanna let you do this? But if there is a reason for our travels together, it's because I had to learn from you, enough to know the final, the good, the right thing to do.I can't come back. 

GABRIELLE
...Xena

XENA 
(whispering) I can't.

GABRIELLE 
But what about me? I love you Xena.How am I supposed to go on without you?

Gabrielle looked down at the urn in her hands. 

XENA 
Gabrielle. I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE
No Xena. 

Gabrielle looked up at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
I am.

Gabrielle pushed Xena's hand away and tossed the whole urn into the fountain. 

XENA 
Gabrielle what are you doing?

GABRIELLE 
I'm bringing you back.

XENA 
But the souls?

GABRIELLE 
You freed them. What ever happens next isn't on you. 

XENA 
Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
No you listen to me Xena.

Gabrielle took Xena's hand as she stood up. Having Xena stand too.

GABRIELLE 
You taught me to always think of the greater good. And you being alive is for the greater good. There's still so many people out there who need help.

As Gabrielle spoke Xena's body began to glow with a bright light.

GABRIELLE 
People who need someone to stand up for what's right. Who will step up when no one else can.

Xena held up her hand, looking at it, seeing the light that was enveloping her.

GABRIELLE 
And speaking of people who need you.

Gabrielle reached out and held Xena's hand. Xena looked at her.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Gabrielle leaned in an passionately kissed Xena as the light that was surrounding Xena exploded around them. After a few moments Gabrielle pulled back and smiled at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Welcome back to the world of the living.

Xena stood in front of Gabrielle alive once again.

XENA 
Gabrielle I...

?
It's okay Xena. We're free.

Xena looked up hearing a familiar voice.

XENA 
Akemi?

Xena and Gabrielle looked around but didn't see anything. Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
See Xena everything's okay.

Gabrielle held Xena's hand as she began to walk away. 

GABRIELLE 
Come on, let's get off this mountain. Before we both die of frostbite. There's no one else here to bring us back if we do.

Gabrielle laughed a little as she and Xena walked away, and back down Mount Fuji as the sun set. Some time later Gabrielle stood looking out at the ocean as the boat she was on sailed away from Japa.

GABRIELLE
A life of journeying has brought you to the farthest lands, to the very edges of the Earth.

Xena walked over and put her arm around Gabrielle.

XENA
And to the place where I'll always remain, your heart. 

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned against her 

XENA 
So, where to now?

GABRIELLE 
Isn't that normally my line.

Xena chuckled.

XENA 
I thought I'd let you pick for once.

Gabrielle thought for a moment and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I think we should go south to the land of the Pharaohs. I hear they need a girl with a chakram.

Xena smiled as she hugged Gabrielle.

XENA
Where you go,.I'm at your side.

GABRIELLE
I knew you'd say that.

Xena chuckled as she kissed Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE 
I love you Xena.

XENA 
I love you too Gabrielle. Always.

Xena and Gabrielle stood looking out at the water as they sailed off together towards the sunrise and whatever new beginnings layed over the horizon.

THE END ❤

Author's Page

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy