Best Left Forgotten

   Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com   

SUMMARY:
When Xena's guilt causes her to make a half-hearted wish, things take a very strange turn that drastically changes her life. Leaving Xena searching for a way to put things back the way they should be.

Pt.1

Xena and Gabrielle were casually riding through the forest. Just enjoying some downtime, which they so rarely got. Gabrielle had her arms wrapped around Xena's waist, holding on. As she rested her head on Xena's shoulder, taking in the peace and calm of the moment. She gently kissed Xena's shoulder. Smiling, Xena looked back at her.
      
XENA
What was that for?
      
GABRIELLE
Just because I love you.

Xena reached up softly caressed Gabrielle's face.     
      
XENA
I love you too.

Xena leaned back slightly and turned her face toward Gabrielle. Gabrielle leaned in and they shared a sweet, passionate kiss. Afterwards Gabrielle put her head back on her shoulder.
    
GABRIELLE
Hey where are we going anyway?
      
XENA
Right now we're heading to the nearest village. I noticed we're running low on some supplies. So we'll stop, rest up, restock and go from there.
     
GABRIELLE
Good, I can't remember the last time I slept in a real bed.
                           
Gabrielle sniffed.
    
GABRIELLE
Or had a proper bath.
      
XENA
(joking tone) Oh is that what that is?
Gabrielle playfully slapped Xena's arm.
     
GABRIELLE
Very funny.
Xena chuckled. 
     
GABRIELLE
How much further?
       
XENA
We should be there soon.

They rode for awhile, until they reached the village. Xena and Gabrielle walked around the village, stopping at a couple shops for some supplies. When finished, they went to the village's inn. Gabrielle went up to the counter to get a room. The inn keeper was preoccupied with his book keeping. Gabrielle asked the inn keeper for a room for the night. Without looking up he motioned to the room on the far left.
     
INN KEEPER
15 Denars.

Gabrielle put the money on the counter, and headed for the room.
     
GABRIELLE
All set, come on Xena.

 

For the first time the inn keeper looked up.
   
INN KEEPER
Xena?!

He saw the warrior woman walk up behind Gabrielle and scowled.
    
INN KEEPER
You are not welcome here. I don't want any trouble. Now please just leave.

Gabrielle quickly spoke up in Xena's defense.
    
GABRIELLE
Hey wait a minute I think you're thinking of the old Xena. She's changed, and she's doing everything she can to make up for her past.
  
INN KEEPER
I don't care. I want her out of here, now!                        

Gabrielle was about to continue arguing on Xena's behalf, when Xena placed her hand on her shoulder and stopped her.
      
XENA
It's okay Gabrielle. I'll just go.
      
GABRIELLE
But Xena he...
       
XENA
It's alright.

Xena began to walk away. Gabrielle grabbed the money off the counter and followed. The inn keeper called to Gabrielle.
    
INN KEEPER
Oh you don't have to leave too. You seem perfectly fine.
                              
Gabrielle turned back towards the inn keeper.
      
GABRIELLE
Yes I do. Because wherever Xena goes, I go.

Gabrielle continued to follow Xena out of the inn.
      
GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) I wish everyone knew the Xena I know.

They made their way out of town and set up camp by a small pond. The sun was beginning to set, so Xena worked on getting a fire started. After ensuring the two of them were alone. Gabrielle undressed and headed into the water to bathe. Once the fire was going, Xena sat and watched Gabrielle as she casually swam around.
     
GABRIELLE
Xena, aren't you coming in? 
      
XENA
(sly joking tone) Why, do you want me to?
    
GABRIELLE
(Sly chuckle) Maybe I do. 

Xena got up, undressed and joined Gabrielle in the pond. They swam about as they enjoyed the refreshing water. Gabrielle playfully splashed Xena. Xena smirked at her.
         
XENA
Oh is that what we're doing?

Xena splashed back. Gabrielle snickered as she repayed Xena with another splash.
       
XENA
That's it.

Xena sent a large splash of water back at Gabrielle. This caused a playful splash fight to erupt. They both laughed as they enjoyed a bit of care free fun. Afterwards Gabrielle swam over to Xena and draped her arms around her neck.
      
GABRIELLE
It seems times like this, these days are few and far between.

Xena leaned her forehead against Gabrielle's and smiled.
          
XENA
Yea, it's nice.
       
GABRIELLE
It's just lately seems we've been doing so much and traveling almost nonstop.
          
XENA
I know, I'm sorry. 
       
GABRIELLE
It's okay. That doesn't really bother me.

Xena sighed and leaned back.
           
XENA
I'm sorry about the inn. I know you were looking forward to actually sleeping in a real bed for a change.
      
GABRIELLE
It's fine. Like I said back there.Wherever you go, I go

She gave Xena a smile.
           
XENA
Gabrielle, do you know how much I love you?
      
GABRIELLE
(giggle) Not as much as I love you.
           
XENA
We'll see about that.

Xena pulled Gabrielle in for a kiss. When they broke their kiss, Gabrielle gave Xena an enticing look. Xena gently massaged her chest. Then traced her hand down her body. She stopped with her fingers resting on Gabrielle's womanhood. Gabrielle shuddered with desire. Knowing from all their times they've been together before, the pure bliss that awaited her. Xena began to rub against her.
     
GABRIELLE
(anticipating whisper) Xena.

Xena smiled as she pushed into Gabrielle's entrance. Gabrielle tightened her grip around Xena, as she enjoyed the sensation and pleasure Xena was giving her. After a few minutes Gabrielle felt herself ready to reach her peak. Knowing her lover so well, Xena could tell and began to speed up her movements. Moments later Gabrielle hit her apex. There were few things Xena loved more than knowing she could make the one she loved feel so wonderful. After the high ended, Gabrielle Gently kissed Xena.
        
GABRIELLE
I love you.
             
XENA
I love you too. Come on let's head back to shore.
       
GABRIELLE
What about you?
           
XENA
I'm okay. Seeing you filled with so much joy was all the satisfaction I needed.

Xena raised her brow, implying she found her own fulfillment along with Gabrielle. Gabrielle smiled at her, understanding.
            
XENA
Come on, I'm getting hungry.

The two of them swam back to shore. They got dressed, prepared their meal and ate. Later that night Xena layed awake next to a sleeping Gabrielle. Her mind went back to earlier at the inn. This caused to think of the numerous times her reputation had caused problems for Gabrielle. Or caused her pain and even worse put her in danger. Xena felt a wave of sadness wash over her.
            
XENA
(Thinking to herself) I don't deserve Gabrielle. And she doesn't deserve all the danger, suffering and everything else she's been through, just by being by my side. I wish things were different.

Xena didn't know why she was letting such a minor incident bother her. After a bit she convinced herself it was only because she was tired. She did her best to clear her mind of those thoughts, and she was eventually able to drift off to sleep. Xena awoke the next day. Not fully awake, she reached over for Gabrielle, who always slept beside her. 
           
XENA
Good morning. How 'bout some breakfast Gabrielle? Gabrielle?
                         
Xena realized Gabrielle wasn't there. This wasn't too odd, so it didn't eally concern her. Gabrielle was probably going to the bathroom, getting food for them or something like that. Xena got up and packed up their bedding. She waited a bit for Gabrielle to return. 
           
XENA
Forget it I'm hungry, I'm not wanting for her anymore.

Xena made herself something to eat. After she ate, she waited a bit longer for Gabrielle get back. When she didn't, Xena began to get a little impatient. She yelled for Gabrielle.
           
XENA
Gabrielle. Come on. We should get going.

Xena got no response back.
           
XENA
(Thinking to herself) I should go see where she is.

Xena left the camp in search of Gabrielle. After looking for some time, there was still no sign of her. By now Xena was very worried.
           
XENA
Gabrielle! Gabrielle!... Where are you?

Pt.2

Xena traced their steps back to the town they visited the day before. She stopped at the inn they were going to stay at that night. 
            
XENA
(Thinking to herself) Maybe Gabrielle came back here. She was pretty upset with the inn keeper. 

The inn keeper noticed Xena come in.
      
INN KEEPER
Can I help you. 

Xena was surprised by his cheerful greeting. Compared to yesterday 
This was the complete opposite reaction he had given her. Perhaps Gabrielle had come back and given him a piece of her mind.
             
XENA
The girl I was here with yesterday, have you seen her?
       
INN KEEPER
What are you talking about? I've never seen you before.
        
XENA
Incase you haven't noticed I'm Xena, you made it very yesterday that I wasn't welcome here. I just want to if you've seen the young woman that was with me.

Xena described Gabrielle to the inn keeper. He still insisted he didn't know who Xena and Gabrielle' were. And that he didn't know Gabrielle's whereabouts.
        
INN KEEPER
Sorry, can't help ya.

Xena's concern for Gabrielle left her in no mood for this. She grabbed the man's shirt pulling him over the counter.
           
XENA
Look, you don't like me or want me here. So just answer my question and I'll be gone.
        
INN KEEPER
(nervous) I told you I know who you are or what you're talking about.

Completely out of patience, Xena jabbed her fingers into the man's 
neck.
           
XENA
I've cut off the blood flow to your brain, you'll be dead soon, unless you stop this nonsense and answer me.

The inn keeper looked at Xena in fear.
        
INN KEEPER
What do you want from me? I don't know anything, I swear.

Seeing the inn keeper's reaction, convinced Xena of his ignorance to the situation. She released the hold and without another word left to ask if any of the villagers had seen Gabrielle. As she asked around, Xena began to realize that no one seemed to remember her or Gabrielle. After searching the town and coming up with no leads,. completely baffled, Xena left in search of where Gabrielle could've gone.
             
XENA
(thinking to herself) Where is she? Gabrielle wouldn't just leave. If someone had taken her, surely someone would have seen something. Besides, that doesn't explain why no one remembers either one of us. Somethings not right.

Xena raced out of town and whistled for Argo 2. When she didn't come Xena ran to the stables. However when she got there, Argo 2 was nowhere to be seen. Xena found the people who ran the stables and questioned where her horse was? Once again they didn't remember Xena, and told her that she hadn't left any houses with them. Instead of having another pointless argument, Xena just purchased a new steed. She mounted the horse and took off in search of Gabrielle, along with answers to what was going on. 
             
XENA
(thinking to herself)- Something's wrong. Hold on wherever you are Gabrielle, I'll find you.

Xena searched the neighboring areas, with no luck. There was no trace of Gabrielle anywhere. As Xena rode along, contemplating her next move, she spotted Aphrodite, working her magic on a couple of people. Xena spead up her horse up, gallopng up to her, to enlist her help. 

XENA
Aphrodite, have you seen Gabrielle?
         
APHRODITE
Who?
            
XENA
Gabrielle. Your friend.
        
APHRODITE
Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

Xena was getting tired of not getting any answers about her current situation. She continued to question Aphrodite.
            
XENA
Do you know who I am?
       
APHRODITE
No, why? Should I ?

Xena believed Aphrodite. Gabrielle was her friend, she had no motive to lie. It was as if none of them had met. Why was Xena the ony one who seemed to know who Gabrielle was.
           
XENA
(sighs) Never mind. Thanks anyway.

Feeling defeated, with sadness in her eyes and heart, Xena turned to continue her search.
        
APHRODITE
This Gabrielle, she's important to you, isn't she?

Xena stopped for a moment and looked back at Aphrodite.
        
XENA
Yes, she means the world to me. She's the better part of me. My soul mate.
       
APPRECIATE
Well I hope you find her. She sounds very special.
             
XENA
She is. Thank you.

Xena rode off once again. Still no closer to solving this mystery. After a while xena finally made it to Gabrielle's home village. She found Gabrielle's sister.
             
XENA
Lila.

The young woman looked at Xena, puzzled.
           
LILA
Who are you? How do you know my name?

Xena would've been confused by Lila not knowing her, but right not nothing seemed to make sense. So she decided to move the conversation forward.
           
 XENA
That's not important right now. Where is Gabrielle?

Lila was very confused by this strange woman somehow knowing both her and Gabrielle, even though she had never seen her before. Despite that fact, for some reason Lila felt as though she could trust her. Lila explained to Xena that Gabrielle had been taken by slavers a long time ago. Tears began to well up in Lila's eyes.
               
LILA
They captured me too, but Gabrielle made it so I could escape.  

Suddenly Xena finally realized what was happening.
            
LILA
It's all my fault.

Xena assured Lila that she wasn't to blame. Then she realized everything was as if she and Gabrielle had never met. Then she remembered the thoughts she had of Gabrielle being safer without her.
             
XENA
(thinking to herself) No, Gabrielle. This isn't what I wanted.

Xena assured Lila that she would find her sister. Xena set of to either find and free Gabrielle or to figure out a way to set things as they were. How they should be.

Pt.3

Xena raced on horse back in search of Gabrielle or the slavers who took her. How could she possibly know where to begin to look for Gabrielle.She thought back to her and Gabrielle's first encounter, something Xena could never forget. If Xena went back to that area, maybe she could find a clue to at least point her in the right direction. She traveled for days. When Xena arrived at her destination, she dismounted the horse and began inspecting her surroundings.
                    
XENA
Please let there be something here.

While she was surveying the area, she heard people coming her way. Not wanting any more trouble, Xena quickly moved her horse out of sight, then hid behind a tree. She silently watched as a couple of men walked by. She could overhear their conversation.
                   
MAN 1
So what do you plan on doing with yours?
                 
MAN 2
Probably sell most of 'em. And just keep a few as maids, servents and the like. How 'bout you?
                 
MAN 1
Same. Except I think I'll keep that one for myself.
                   
MAN 2
It's that little blonde isn't it?
                   
MAN 1
What can I say, I have a type.

The two men laughed as they continued on their way. 
                   
XENA
(whispering to herself) Gabrielle.

Xena had a gut feeling that Gabrielle was the one that they were talking about. She left the horse and stealthily pursued the men on foot. She followed them to their camp. While still concealing her presence, Xena observed the goings on in the camp, searching for a way inside, without being detected. This was clearly a very large group that she was dealing with. Xena knew just based on the what she could see, she would be far too out numbered to do anything. So just charging in wasn't the best course of action. Then she got an idea. Xena snuck over to a large stash of weapons and armor. She took off her armor and boots leaving just for under clothes on. She stashed her things in a small spot behind all of the items. Once done Xena quickly snuck back out. She watched and waited til she saw someone exit the camp. She kept an eye on them, waiting for the night time to make herself known. Using trees for cover, Xena quickly raced ahead of him. Then when she got some distance between them, Xena casually walked into his view.
                    
MAN
Oh what do we have here?

Xena pretended to be startled by the man.
                    
MAN
Hey now what's a pretty thing like you doing way out here all by yourself?
                   
XENA
I was traveling to Portidaea when I got lost.
                 
MAN
Well you're quite a ways off. It's dangerous for a lady travel all by herself. Why don't you come with me and I'll take you.
                 
XENA
Well isn't that noble of you.
                
MAN
It's gonna be a few days trip, so we'll need to get some supplies before we go.

Xena followed the man into the camp. Once inside the man motioned to some of the others. Two men came up behind Xena and grabbed her.

MAN
Take her and put her with the others.
                   
XENA
Wait, no, let me go!

Xena pretended to struggle against them as they dragged her off.
They brought her to a large area surrounded by a spiked fence and guards. One of the guards opened the gate as they shoved Xena inside, locking it behind her. Xena walked deeper into the area, looking around for any sign of Gabrielle.
                    
XENA
(loud whisper) Gabrielle, Gabrielle are you here?

Xena continued looking. She gave Gabrielle's description to a few people asking if they had seen her. But given their situation everyone was too afraid and more concerned about their own well being to be of any help. Which was completely understandable. Still Xena kept up her search. She was beginning to think suspicion might have been wrong. Then out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone sitting all alone, by a wall curled up. Xena decided to walk over and check on them. She crouched down in front of her.
                     
XENA
Don't worry it's going to be alright. I'm gonna get you all out of here.

The girl didn't respond. Her head hung low as she buried her face in her arms. Xena reached out and gently placed her hand on the girl's shoulder. She finally looked up. Xena's eyes began to tear up at the sight of the familiar face.
                    
XENA
Gabrielle.

Xena reached up and softly touched her face.
                    
XENA
I finally found you.

Xena saw fear in her eyes as Gabrielle quickly tried to move away from her. For a moment Xena was stunned by Gabrielle's response to seeing her. Then she remembered Gabrielle had no idea who she was. 
                 
XENA
(thinking to herself) That's right everything is as if Gabrielle and I had never met.

Xena told Gabrielle that her sister sent her to find her.
         
GABRIELLE
Lila? Is she okay?
                   
XENA
Don't worry, she's safe. She wants her sister back. I'm here to take you home.
            
GABRIELLE
How are you supposed to do that? Clearly you were captured too.
                    
XENA
Only because I allowed myself to get caught.
            
GABRIELLE
Even if that's true, there's still no way out of here
                   
XENA
Don't worry about that.

Xena gave her a soft smile, stood up and began to walk away.
                    
XENA
(talking to herself) I have many skills.

Pt.4

Xena walked around inspecting prison area that they were being held in, outside within the slavers camp. She watched the slavers as they went about their normal business. Xena saw one of them coming their way. He walked up to the cage and just looked at all of them.
           
SLAVER 1
Yes, it looks like we have a fine group here. These should all fetch a decent price.

Another one of the slavers walked over to him.
          
SLAVER 2
Inspecting the inventory? 
         
SLAVER 1
Yes. I see some good ones in there. Oh and that little blonde should do very well.

He pointed to Gabrielle.
         
SLAVER 2
Don't even think about it. The boss wants to keep her. 

SLAVER 1
Of course he does.

He chuckled and looked around at the rest of the women.
         
SLAVER 1
No matter, we still have plenty of good sellers. 
        
SLAVER 2
Come on, we have work to do.
         
SLAVER 1
Yeah, yeah. We have a big day tomorrow.

The both of them walked off.
            
XENA
(thinking to herself) I need to get everyone out of here.

Xena shook the bars of the cage. This was a well built fence. She glanced over at the guards posted in front of the cage. These slavers knew what they were doing. She had to think of a way out, that wouldn't put any of the girls in danger. She decided to wait until night fall, there would be less of slavers out and about. Xena sat near Gabrielle, who was still curled up, completely terrified of what her fate might be. She sat silently thinking of Gabrielle, and the guilt she felt for putting her here. Finally after a while Xena spoke.
             
XENA
Gabrielle I promise I will get you out of here.           
        
GABRIELLE
How do you, one person plan on doing that?
            
XENA
All you have to do is trust me. I will never let any of these monsters harm you, I promise.
          
GABRIELLE
Why do you care so much? You don't even know me. And don't give me the whole "I promised your sister" story. Since you got here you've barely left my side and you keep giving me a weird look.
            
XENA
Gabrielle, I...

Xena looked at her with a combination of a loving and sad expression on her face.
           
GABRIELLE
Yea that look. I don't know who you are, but I know your not telling me everything. Who are you really?
             
XENA
(thinking to herself) You wouldn't believe me if I told you. 
(out loud) You remind me of someone I love very much.
         
GABRIELLE
Well trust me, I'm not her.
                
XENA
(thinking to herself) And that's my fault. 

After a little while, Xena gently placed her hand on her back, trying to comfort Gabrielle. Gabrielle was going to brush Xena away. But when she looked at her, Gabrielle saw a look of nothing but love in her eyes. It had been so long since Gabrielle felt cared about or safe, she couldn't help but break down in tears. Xena pulled Gabrielle in and held her.
                  
XENA
Everything will be okay.

Eventually Gabrielle fell asleep, leaning on Xena's shoulder. Xena sat there awake, waiting until morning. When morning came, so did the slavers from the day before. They came with some guards.
            
SLAVER 
OK, take the little blonde and bring her to the boss then we have to finish getting things ready for the rest of 'em.

They opened the door and one of them went to grab Gabrielle. Xena quickly grabbed his arm, twisting it. The other man tried to get Xena off of him, but she kicked him away. The other slavers near by saw the commotion, they ran over and tried to restrain her. Xena continued to fight them off. Unfortunately due to the sheer number one of them managed to get a lucky shot, stunning Xena for a moment. This allowed them push Xena back enough for one them to take Gabrielle. He quickly grabbed her and dragged her out of the caged area. The guards slammed the gate behind them and locked it. Xena ran to the gate.
            
XENA
Gabrielle!!

Xena shook at the gate. Trying with all her might to pry it open. The guards laughed at Xena's frantic rattling of the cage.
           
GUARD
Don't worry you'll get out of there soon enough.

He laughed and turned away. At that moment there was nothing Xena could do, but watch Gabrielle being taken into a large building. After a little while some more guards showed up. Apparently they were changing shifts with the ones that had been there. Xena noticed the new guards weren't around when Gabrielle was taken away. So they hadn't seen Xena's out burst and wouldn't be suspicious of her. Xena devised a plan. She called out one of the guards. 
           
XENA
(enticing tone)Hey there big guy. 

One of the guards looked over at Xena and pointed to himself in a questioning manner. Xena nodded.
           
XENA 
(Enticing tone) There's some way you could help me get out of here. I can make it worth your while.

He looked at the other guard. The other guard shrugged. He took that as the go ahead. The guard let Xena out of the cage. He took her by the arm and lead her inside. Once inside he took her to a small secluded room. Once there he could barely contain himself. Xena kept up her act. Flirting and using his own desire against him. She walked up to him.
          
XENA
Why don't you close your eyes, and I'll give you a nice surprise.

The excited guard did as he was told. As soon as he did, Xena grabbed and put her hold on him.
            
XENA
I cut off the flow of blood to your brain. If you want to live, you'll tell me what I wanted to know. And if I were you, I'd make it quick.

The guard nodded. Xena described Gabrielle to him and asked if he knew where she was taken. The fearful guard complied and told her that they took a girl to their leaders room.
            
XENA
Where is his room?!

He told Xena. She released the hold and knocked him out. Lucky the guard had picked the closest room to a door that lead back out side. She peaked out and saw she was right by where she had hidden her weapons and armor. Quickly and quietly Xena retrieved them. She put her stuff back on as she ran to save Gabrielle. On her way Xena ran into some of the slavers. They tried to stop her, but she quickly took care of them. Xena raced to reach Gabrielle, hoping that she could get to her before anything could happen, if it hadn't already.
           
XENA
(thinking to herself) I'm coming Gabrielle. This is all my fault. If I hadn't made that wish. I only wanted to protect you. I'm so sorry. If he does anything to you, I'll never forgive myself.

Xena ran as fast as possible. Finally she reached the slaver leader's room. Wasting no time, Xena kicked down the door. She saw slavers leader had Gabrielle cornered. Gabrielle was terrified but from the looks of things, he hadn't done anything yet.
          
XENA
Get away from her.

Xena got between the slavers' leader and Gabrielle.

XENA
If you even THINK of touching her, I'll kill you.

Pt.5

Xena stood in front of Gabrielle, guarding her from the slavers leader. He looked at her and smirked.
         
SLAVER LEADER-
Now who let you out?

Xena said nothing.
         
SLAVER LEADER
Well never mind. I suppose you can join in the fun too
           
XENA- Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

Xena drew her sword. She glanced back at Gabrielle..
              
XENA
It's okay Gabrielle. I won't let anyone harm you.

It took a moment for Gabrielle to recognize Xena from the cage.
        
GABRIELLE
What are you doing here?
               
XENA
Like I said before, I'm getting you out of here.

The slavers leader laughed.
        
SLAVER LEADER
(condescending tone)Aww, isn't that cute. Looks like someone's trying to play hero.
              
XENA
Yea let's play.

Xena let out her battle cry, as she kicked the slavers leader in the chest. He was sent back onto his bed. He stood back up.
          
SLAVER LEADER
(rubbing his chest)- You've got some fight in you. I like that.
              
XENA
Then how do you like this?

Xena grabbed his arm, twisted it and flipped him. He landed hard on his back.
           
SLAVER LEADER
OK, that was a bit TOO much.

He tried to get up. Xena stepped on his chest and pointed her sword at him.
               
XENA
If you know what's good for you, you'll stay down.

The slavers leader chuckled.
           
SLAVER LEADER
OK, sure...GUARDS!

Some of his guards burst into the room.
               
XENA
What's wrong, not man enough to take me on your own?

The slavers leader's guards looked at the situation, a little surprised. 
      
SLAVER LEADER
(pointing at Xena) Well don't just stand there. Get her!

The guards charged Xena. She preceded to fight them off. While Xena was preoccupied with the guards, the slavers leader grabbed Gabrielle.
        
SLAVER LEADER
You're coming with me.
              
GABRIELLE
No! Let me go!

Gabrielle tried to fight him off, but he just picked her up ran out of the room.
                   
XENA
Gabrielle!

Xena quickly got the guards out of her way and chased after them. He ran through the corridors trying to lose Xena,who was in hot pursuit. They raced down hallways,, up stairs and all around the building. He ran until he reached the end of the hall. He burst into the Last room and barricaded the door. Xena tried to break down the door. But no matter how hard she tried, it wouldn't budge. She looked around and saw a window down the hall. Xena went and climbed out the window. She quickly, but carefully skirted along the ledge. She reached the window to the room that the slavers leader was held up in with Gabrielle. Xena crashed through the window. Once she finally got into the room she saw the slavers leader crouched next to Gabrielle, who was laying on the floor. He looked over his shoulder at Xena and gave her an evil smile.
            
SLAVER LEADER
Such a shame.
                     
XENA
What have you done?!

With a crazed look in his eyes, he began laughing.
              
SLAVER LEADER
No one takes what's mine. But I could tell that you're not one to give up. So I decided, if I can't have her, no one can.

He stood up and turned towards Xena. Xena noticed the bloody dagger in his hand. 
                       
XENA
No!!

With sword in hand, Xena changed at him. He blocked her swing with his dagger. Their steel clashed.
             
SLAVER LEADER
You know it really is too bad. I think you could have given me quite a bit of amusement. Oh well, I've got plenty more. So I'll just get rid of you, like that other one.

The way he talked like they were nothing but objects to him made Xena sick.
                        
XENA
" That other one"?

Xena felt her rage boil over.
                    
XENA
Her name is Gabrielle!

Xena pushed him back. He stumbled backwards a little. Regaining his balance, he changed Xena. He swung his sword to attack. She parried and before the slavers leader could retaliate Xena thrust her sword deep into his stomach. She yanked it back out and watched as the slavers leader staggered back, clenching his wound.
              
SLAVER LEADER
How could "I" be beaten, by a woman?

He gasp and then collapsed. Xena quickly turned her attention to Gabrielle. She rushed over and knelt beside her.
                       
XENA
Gabrielle? Gabrielle?

She didn't respond. Xena turned her over and saw stab wound on Gabrielle's side. She quickly covered the wound to try and stop the bleeding.
                    
XENA
It's gonna be okay, just hold on.

While Xena was preoccupied with tending to Gabrielle, the slavers leader was getting back up. He stared at Xena, holding his wound, consumed by rage. He grabbed his sword.
          
SLAVER LEADER
If I'm dying, I'm at least taking you with me.

He changed at Xena. She stood up and dodged his attack. The slavers leader stumbled to the window. Getting his footing, he turned to face Xena. He roared and changed Xena again. Xena kicked him as hard as she could. The slavers leader was sent staggering backwards against the window. Off balance, he franticly tried to grab at anything as he felt himself going over the edge. With no luck he fell out the window, plummeting to his death. Xena returned to Gabrielle. She inspected her wound. It was deep, there was blood everywhere. Xena tore part of the curtain and pressed it against Gabrielle's wound.
                         
XENA
(Thinking to herself) It won't stop. 

Xena quickly searched the room for anything to close up Gabrielle's wound. She tore the room apart, but found nothing. Xena went back to Gabrielle and picked her up to bring her somewhere Xena could find supplies to close Gabrielle's wound. Xena realized Gabrielle wasn't breathing. She quietly put her back down. She felt for a pulse and felt nothing. Xena did everything she could to get Gabrielle to respond in any way. But nothing worked. Gabrielle just layed there motionless in Xena's arms.
                        
XENA
Gabrielle, no.

Xena held her tight, as she felt her tears began to fall.
                         
XENA
Gabrielle.

Xena's heart broke with the realization that Gabrielle was dead.

Pt.6

Xena's heart was shattered by Gabrielle's death. Tears streamed down her face, as she held the fallen Gabrielle.
                         
XENA
I'm so sorry, my wish put you here. Because I wasn't there that day, you were taken. Who knows what you've been through since. This is all my fault, Gabrielle. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Xena knelt beside Gabrielle. Consumed by her sorrow and lost in her own thoughts. She blamed herself for Gabrielle's untimely demise. As Xena continued to dwell on this, she thought about the other women outside. Despite her own pain Xena knew she had to help them. She had to save them from the slavers. 
                           
XENA
(thinking to herself) The slavers..

Xena felt an all consuming rage building up within her. 
                          
XENA
They were the ones that brought Gabrielle here.
                                         
Xena forced herself to get to her feet. Right now she didn't have the time to grieve. She walked over and took the covers from the slavers leader's bed. Xena came back and knelt back down next to Gabrielle's body.
                         
XENA
When I'm done here, I'll bring you back home. Goodbye Gabrielle, I will always love you.

Xena gently brushed back Gabrielle's hair. She then leaned over and kissed her. Then with tears in her eyes, Xena covered Gabrielle. She stood up, grabbed her sword and left to free the rest of the women. Xena made her way through the halls, slaying everyone that she came across. Showing absolutely no mercy. Xena fought with a ruthlessness that she hadn't shown since her days as a warlord. Fueled by her pain and rage, she carved her way through the slavers. She made her way back outside. Xena easily took down the slavers guarding the cage that was holding the other women. She took their keys and unlocked the cage.
                           
XENA
Go, run.

The women ran, fleeing the slavers camp. Xena continued fighting off the slavers, ensuring that the woman could make it out safely. Once the captives had escaped and Xena finished eliminating all the slavers outside, she went headed inside. Xena went through the whole compound in search of any slavers that were left. She was determined to not let any of them escape. 
                         
XENA
(thinking to herself) They'll pay for what they've done to all those innocent people. For what they've done to Gabrielle.

After working her way through the entire place, cutting down every single slaver that crossed her path. Not a single one of them managed escaped her wrath. Finally Xena finished off the last of the slavers. And the woman got away. Xena was a bit worn and had a few minor wounds from the sheer number number she had fought. But she payed it no mind. It wasn't anything serious. As she stood amongst the carnage, her adrenaline and rage began to subside. Her mind went back to Gabrielle. As her sorrow returned, Xena sheath her sword and slowly walked back to where Gabrielle's body layed. She bent down, picked up Gabrielle and turned to leave. With a heavy heart, Xena carried her fallen love out of that horrific place.
                          
XENA
Come on, I'll take you back home.

Xena got one of the slavers horses and took Gabrielle back to Portidaea. When Xena arrived, Gabrielle's sister Lila was outside. She noticed Xena from a distance as she road up. Excited, Lila ran up to meet Xena as she entered the village.
                          
LILA
You're back.

Xena said nothing as she stopped the horse.
                         
LILA
You were gone so long. I was really getting worried. Hey where's Gabri...

As Xena got down, Lila saw something wrapped up on the back of the horse. Her eyes widened.
                           
LILA
Please, tell me that's not what I think it is?

Xena looked at her with sadness in her eyes.
                         
XENA
I'm sorry. She's gone.

Lila broke down in tears.
                          
LILA
No. No. You said you would save her. You promised you'd bring her back safe. No Gabrielle. No.

Xena stood there in silence. She knew nothing she said or did right now would be of any comfort. Xena gently retrieved Gabrielle's body from the horse. Lila went off to inform the rest of Gabrielle's family of her death. They began to make preparations for Gabrielle's funeral. As Xena went to turn and leave, Lila stopped her.
                          
LILA
Wait. You're welcome to stay for the funeral, if you'd like.
                         
XENA
I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want to intrude.
                          
LILA
No, you tried to save her. I'm sure Gabrielle would want you there.

Xena gave her a sad smile.
                       
XENA
Thank you, I'd like that.

For the next few days, Xena stayed with Gabrielle's family as they prepared to pay their respects. When everything was ready, they all gathered to say their final goodbyes. Xena stood silently watching the ceremony. She listened as everyone said their peace. Lila was the last to go. When she was done, and everyone else left, she went over to Xena.
                                                 
LILA
I appreciate you staying for the funeral.
                        
XENA
Thanks for letting me stay.
                        
LILA
We're having dinner soon. We'd like it if you could join us.
                          
XENA
Thanks but, I'll be leaving soon. If you don't mind, I think I'm just gonna stay here for a bit.
                         
LILA
Sure. If you change your mind your welcome to come by.

Xena nodded as Lila left to go home. Xena sat there alone in silence for a while. Her mind went back to all the wonderful memories she had of Gabrielle. All the things they had gone through together. The good times, the adventures. Even when things were bad and their backs were against the wall. She thought about the love they shared. And just how much Gabrielle meant to her. As Xena stood there reminiscing, she remembered something. Both she and Gabrielle had died and came back to life. If it happened before, why couldn't it happen again? Xena went and told Lila she had to leave. But she didn't tell her why. Xena didn't want to get her hopes up in case it didn't work. With that, Xena set off to find a way to resurrect Gabrielle.
                      
XENA
(thinking to herself) Hold on Gabrielle. I'll find a way to bring you back.

Pt.7

Xena left Portidaea, determined to find some way to bring Gabrielle back to life. Her travels took her all a cross the land. Time passed as Xena continued her search. Days turned to weeks. Weeks to months. Finally Xena lost track of time. It all seemed to blend together. Because to her, life without Gabrielle felt like a hellish eternity. During her search Xena ran into Aphrodite again.
                    
APHRODITE
(recognizing Xena) Oh hey. Did you ever find that girl you were looking for?
                        
XENA
(sad tone) Yes, I did.

Aphrodite saw the sadness in her eyes.
                 
APHRODITE
Hey what's wrong? The two of you break up or something? Cheer up, I'm sure things will work out. Maybe I can work a little of my 
magic to help you out. After all I AM the goddess of love.
                         
XENA
Thanks, but that's not going to help.
                   
APHRODITE
And why not? I think someone's underestimating my abilities.

Xena looked away.
                       
XENA
(sad tone) She's dead.

Aphrodite paused.

APHRODITE
Oh I.. I'm sorry. What happened?

Xena told Aphrodite about the ordeal with the slavers. Aphrodite was touched by Xena's story. After a few moments in thought, she spoke.
                
APHRODITE
I know of some people who may be able to help.
                          
XENA
Why do you want to help me?
                
APHRODITE
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I hate to see true love cut short. Plus for some reason I have a strange feeling like this isn't the way things were supposed to turn out. Besides you seem like someone who probably would've found a way to do it anyway.

Aphrodite told Xena about some shamins she knew about that could possibly have a way to bring back Gabrielle. 
                         
XENA
Does it actually work?
                   
APHRODITE
I'm not sure. I've only heard rumors. Sorry I can't tell you much more. Or be of more help
                         
XENA
No, you've done more than enough. 

Aphrodite told Xena where to begin to look for the shamins. Xena thanked her and left to find them. Xena traveled for weeks, barely stopping to rest. Xena's thoughts were always of Gabrielle. Many of these thoughts tormented her. All her mind showed her was Gabrielle's death over and over. The life they once had together fading further and further into oblivion. Never being able to return. Xena tried to fend off or ignore these painful thoughts and fears. After a long journey, Xena finally reached the temple that Aphrodite had told her the shamins resided. Xena cautiously entered the temple. She slowly made her way through the corridors, inspecting it as she searched for the shamins. There were strange writings on the walks,, writen in a language she had never seen before. As she explored, Xena came to a large room. She saw a small group of people in robes. It looked like they were praying to some large idol. She didn't recognize the figure. It wasn't of any of the gods she knew. Xena had an uneasy feeling.
                         
XENA
(Thinking to herself) I'm not sure about this.

Though unsure about the situation, Xena told herself it was for Gabrielle. She pushed aside her suspicions and cautiously 
approached the shamins. One of them heard Xena walking up behind them. He turned to face her. Startled, Xena stopped in her 
tracks.
                    
SHAMIN
Who are you? What are you doing here?
                         
XENA
I was told you may know of a way to resurrect the dead.
                      
SHAMIN
If we did, what makes you think we would bestow our knowledge to you?
                          
XENA
Because of me, someone I love was killed. Someone who didn't deserve it. 
                      
SHAMIN
Tragities such as this happen all the time. I hardly believe that this is our problem to solve.
                         
XENA
Please, if there's anything I can do.
                     
SHAMIN
I'm sorry, our works are only for those who are worthy.

Xena tried to explain, telling him how Gabrielle was truly deserving of this new chance at life. Still the shamin refused to help her. This angered Xena.
                         
XENA
Who are you to decide who is worthy?!
                    
SHAMIN
And who are you?
                        
XENA
If someone like Gabrielle isn't worthy, who is?
                      
SHAMIN
That isn't up to you.

Consumed by grief and not letting the shamin's stubbornness stand in her way. Xena drew her sword and pointed it at him.
                        
XENA
Tell me how to bring her back.

The shamin sighed and pointed to a scroll on an ulter. Xena walked over and took the scroll.
                      
SHAMIN
Go to the body, take it to a spiritual place. Or a place of great meaning to you. Offer up a sacrifice, along with your blood.Then recite the chant.

Xena nodded.
                   
 SHAMIN
This is not to be known by anyone. If this knowledge were to fall into the wrong hands, the consequences could be irreparable.
                         
XENA
I understand. I will guard this secret with my life. Once Gabrielle is returned to me, I will bring the scroll back.

Xena turned to leave.

SHAMIN
Be warned. Should you not return the scroll, use it for evil or someone takes it from you and uses it in any way. You will be hunted down and you will be eliminated.
                          
XENA-
That's fine with me.

Xena left. She journeyed back to Portidaea, back to Gabrielle's grave. Xena waited until the dead of night to unearth her. She didn't want to upset anyone if they saw her disturbing Gabrielle's resting place. Xena also didn't want to explain why she was doing this. It would be cruel for her to get their hopes up. Only for it not to work. Though she was determined to make it work.
                           
XENA
(Thinking to herself) Gabrielle, I WILL bring you back.

Once she had Gabrielle's body, Xena thought about were to bring her. 
                         
XENA
(Thinking to herself) The shamin said it needed to be spiritual place, or somewhere of great meaning.

Then it came to her. Xena knew exactly where to go. She set off to the place where her life changed forever. Where she first layed eyes on Gabrielle.   

FINALE 

With Gabrielle's wrapped body on the back of the horse, Xena rode through the forest. She searched until she found where she and Gabrielle had met. Once there, Xena got down from her horse and gently retrieved Gabrielle's body. She layed Gabrielle down, unwrapped her and prepared for the ritual. Xena took a rabbit she caught for the ceremony and sacrificed it. Xena knelt down beside Gabrielle. Following the instructions given to her, Xena then took a dagger and slowly sliced the palm of her hand. Squeezing her hand, she let the blood fall. She then grabbed the scroll and preceded to recite the incantation.
                   
XENA
From death to life, I shall restore.
Make it as it was before.
Arise and return from beyond the door.
And walk among us once more...

Xena finished the rest of the chant. She waited a few moments, nothing happened. Confused, she looked back at the scroll.
                
XENA
Maybe I didn't read it right.

She recited the chant again. Carefully reading it to ensure she got it right. She finished and still nothing.
                  
XENA
Come on. Please work.

Xena recited the chant over and over. She tried using different inflections, tempos, rhythms, any way she could possibly think of. But nothing worked. She felt tears began to fall once more. Realizing her efforts to revive Gabrielle had failed.
               
XENA
No. No..

Feeling completely defeated and consumed by her grief, Xena lifted her head and shouted to the heavens.
                 
XENA
 Bring her back! You hear me. You give Gabrielle back. Just bring her back...please.

With tears streaming down her face, Xena looked back down at Gabrielle. Suddenly she felt a presence and heard a mysterious voice.
        
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
Why is it you so demand this one be returned to the world of the living?

Surprised, Xena looked up. She didn't see anyone. She quickly stood up, drew her sword and began searching for the source of the voice.
                
XENA
Alright, show yourself. I'm warning you I'm in no mood.
       
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
I am a spirit, mortals cannot see me.
             
XENA
What do you want?
      
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
It was you who's shouting to heavens that has summoned me here.

Xena was surprised that her painful outburst had actually done anything. She quickly pushed aside her shock.
            
XENA
Please, please bring Gabrielle back to life.
      
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
But it was you who wished things to be this way.

Hearing this angered Xena.
             
XENA
I never wanted any of this.
       
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
That may be true. Even so, it was you who set all of this into motion.

The mysterious voices words pierced Xena like a sharp blade.
             
XENA
Don't you think I know that. Gabrielle's gone and it's my fault. She didn't deserve all this. She never should've been at that slaver camp. My guilt put her there. I just want to set things right. Please just bring back.
       
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
I'm sorry, I cannot do anything. For you are the one who caused these events to be remember.

With that Xena felt the presence of the mysterious voice leaving.   
            
XENA
No, wait.

But the presence was gone and she was left alone. Xena walked back over to where she had layed Gabrielle. She slowly knelt by her side. 
            
XENA
This never should've happened. I'm sorry, I wish I could undo all of this. And things could go back to the way they were.

Xena leaned over and kissed gently Gabrielle.
           
XENA
Goodbye Gabrielle, I love you.

Xena sat there with her head buried in her arms, knowing she had lost her one true love. She closed her eyes, letting her sorrow wash over her. As she sat, lost in her grief. Xena heard another voice calling out to her.
               
?
Xena. 

Xena ignored the voice. But it continued calling her.
              
?
Xena.... Xena.

Xena felt something nudge her hard.
           
?
Xena!

Xena opened her eyes. As she did, Xena couldn't believe what she saw.There was Gabrielle sitting beside her looking down at her, as she layed on the ground.
              
XENA
Gabrielle?
         
GABRIELLE
About time you got up. 
              
XENA
Gabrielle!

Xena sprung up to hug Gabrielle so fast, she pretty much tackled her to the ground. Xena held Gabrielle tight.
        
GABRIELLE
Is something wrong, Xena?

Xena pulled back and looked down at Gabrielle.
            
XENA
No, everything's fine.

Xena smiled as she whipped away her tears of joy. She looked around. She was back at the little camp they had set up by the pond. 
             
XENA
(thinking to herself) Was it all just a bad dream?
        
GABRIELLE
Ugh, Xena?

Xena realized she was still on top of Gabrielle. She pulled back, allowing Gabrielle to sit up.
      
GABRIELLE
Are you sure you're okay.
             
XENA
Yeah, I think I just had a really bad nightmare.
       
GABRIELLE
You wanna talk about it?
           
XENA
No. Forget it, its fine. 

They sat in silence for a moment.
           
XENA
Do you know how much mean to me?
        
GABRIELLE
Of course I do. You're sure everything's okay. Cause you're acting pretty strange.
             
XENA
Everything's fine Gabrielle.

Xena leaned in, gently kissed Gabrielle and smiled.
           
XENA
I promise. I love you.
        
GABRIELLE
I you love too.

Xena kissed her again, this time with more passion. She began laying Gabrielle down. As she did, Gabrielle wrapped her arms around Xena's neck, pulling Xena down on top of her. Xena lifted up Gabrielle's top as her hands clasped on to Gabrielle's chest. When they finally broke their kiss, Xena slowly placed light kisses down Gabrielle's body. She slid off Gabrielle's bottoms. Xena was about to begin, when Gabrielle stopped her.
            
XENA
Is something wrong?
         
GABRIELLE
No, I just want to see and feel all of you too.
             
XENA
(sly smirk) Well if that's all.

They both sat up and Xena quickly undressed. Then the two came back together. Xena slowly slid her hand down Gabrielle's body. She rubbed against Gabrielle for a bit, before pushing into her. Gabrielle gasped in enjoyment. 
         
GABRIELLE
Xe-na.

Gabrielle reached down, doing the same to Xena. Xena let out a small moan. She looked at Gabrielle and gave her another kiss. They both began moving. Feeling their passions intensify, they Increased their speed as they felt their pleasure about to overtake them. Until finally they both reached their apex. Xena pulled Gabrielle close as she felt wave after wave of extacy crash over her. Gabrielle felt the same.
              
XENA
Gabrielle, I...
          
GABRIELLE
Xena!

The two of them cried out as they felt both their pleasure consume them. After a bit they both came down from their high. They got dressed, packed up camp and headed back out on the road.
         
GABRIELLE
So where are we heading next?
               
XENA
Don't know. Where do you wanna go?
        
GABRIELLE
Doesn't matter to me. Like I said before. Wherever you go, I go.

Xena smiled.
              
XENA
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

And with that off the two of them went. On to whatever adventures awaited them. As they did, Xena heard a soft voice whisper.
      
MYSTERIOUS VOICE
remember...

Xena stopped and looked around, recognizing the voice.
      
GABRIELLE
Is something wrong?
             
XENA
No, just thought I heard something. But it was nothing. Come on, let's go.

Xena rememberd that voice from her dream. But was it a dream, or something more. As she and Gabrielle walked down the road, Xena thought that maybe her desires had more power she realized. Perhaps this was one dream that wasn't best left forgotten.

THE END. ❤

Contact Email:

Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy