Pt.11

With surprising speed given the conditions, Ephiny rode Argo through the snow as she searched for Gabrielle and Aurora in the blizzard. As she pushed the mare onward, Ephiny realized why Xena insisted on her taking her trusty animal companion. The deep snow wasn't slowing her down nearly as much as it would have if Ephiny had taken a different horse. Which honestly didn't surprise her all that much, given the fact Argo was Xena's horse after all. And someone as exceptional as Xena would obviously require a highly impressive mount that was able to keep up with her typically fast-paced and physically demanding lifestyle. So despite the cold and snow Ephiny moved at a decent speed as she tried to locate any signs of Gabrielle and Aurora. Though even with Argos's Ability to maneuver through the deep snow easier than most, it still wasn't exactly easy on either of them. Aside from the faster speed, Ephiny was also shocked that Argo listened to her commands and let her ride at all. She knew that the Mare was incredibly loyal to Xena and the only other person she had ever seen Argo let ride her was Gabrielle. And even then, aside from very rare occasions, Gabrielle tended to be with Xena when she rode. But given how intelligent she was Ephiny figured that it was likely that Argo understood when she said that Gabrielle was in trouble and that Xena couldn't go after her which was likely why Argo allowed Ephiny to ride her. Ephiny knew that reaching Gabrielle and Aurora would likely be impossible on any other horse. So with everything seemingly going wrong, she was more than happy to take this seemingly small victory of Argo obeying her if it would help her find Gabrielle and Aurora faster in a situation when every second truly mattered as the raging storm continued to become worse. 

 GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) How haven't we reached any kind of civilization yet? There has to be a city, village, farm, or some kind of shelter around here. I'd even take a small cave or something. Anything that can at least help shield us from this. 

Gabrielle's hands were nearly numb from the cold. Her toes burned from what she was certain was frostbite. The rest of her body shivered uncontrollably as she hugged Aurora tight. Fear gripped her heart that they had gotten lost due to the snow and weren't going to be able to make it much further no matter how desperately she tried. Every step forward was now a struggle as Gabrielle pushed herself to go on with the cold as well as physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion had all begun to take their toll. Making it so Gabrielle didn't know how much further she could go as she felt the metaphorical walls closing in around her with seemingly no way out. She trudged on ahead for some time in the deep snow but was brought to an abrupt stop when her foot briefly got caught on something buried beneath the snow causing her to fall forward. On instinct, Gabrielle let go of Arrian's reigns as she turned mid-fall took the hit on her side, and cradled the little girl right as she and Aurora went down an embankment that had gone unseen due to the storm. After they landed Aurora cried from being frightened by the sudden drop but was otherwise completely unharmed as a completely worn out and unbearably cold Gabrielle lay there in the snow as fought to find the strength to move any further and everything around her began to fade. 

GABRIELLE
(Thinking to herself) How did this happen? Just a few short days ago everything was fine. Aurora, Xena, myself and everyone in the village, we were all so happy and content. Life was actually really good for once. No chaos or unexpected threats to overcome. But now Xena's gonna be killed by the people we've shared our lives with for years now. And me and Aurora are stuck out here about to be swallowed up by this storm. And I don't know what to do or where to go from here. I'm so cold, so tired... Maybe I'll just close my eyes for a moment. 

Gabrielle closed her eyes as Aurora cried. After a moment Gabrielle heard a voice echo in her mind. It was Xena's. A memory from when they had faced the specters of themselves during the final trial before their wedding. 

 --FLASHBACK--

XENA
So what's it gonna be Gabrielle?

This time when Gabrielle heard Xena's voice, she sounded so clear and close it was as if Xena was physically right there with her. This caused Gabrielle to look up again and was shocked when she saw an image of Xena standing right before her. The image of Xena within Gabrielle's mind smiled as she waited for Gabrielle to stand up on her own.

XENA 
Are you just gonna sit there and prove these spirits and all the others who've said you shouldn't be where you are in life right? Or are you gonna stand up and fight for yourself? Like we both know you can.

GABRIELLE 
But what am I supposed to do? I'm not a fighter like you.

XENA 
So what. Gabrielle, I didn't become the woman I am overnight. I can't tell you how many times I've failed. Besides I thought you knew that a person's real strength doesn't come from how well they can swing a weapon around. Any idiot can do that. A person's true strength comes from here.

The image of Xena crouched down and placed her hand on Gabrielle's chest over her heart.

XENA 
You taught me that. And that's how I know that you're the strongest person I've met.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. What good does that actually do? It doesn't help me protect the people I love.

Gabrielle looked away for a moment before Xena's hand touched her cheek and gently guided Gabrielle's eyes back to her.

XENA 
But it does. 

GABRIELLE 
How?

XENA 
Gabrielle, do you trust me?

GABRIELLE 
More than anyone. You know that.

XENA 
Then just take my word for it. You are so much more than what you think. You've already shown that time and time again. Now go out there and prove it.

 --PRESENT--

As those words from Xena echoed in Gabriell's mind, she opened her eyes and held Aurora as she slowly pushed herself up to a sitting position. Finding strength in the memory of how Xena had stood by her and helped Gabrielle find the belief in herself that she had lost after Aurora's kidnapping and Gabrielle's multiple near-death experiences afterward as a result. And now with Aurora's life in jeopardy once again and no one else around, Gabrielle knew that she had no choice but to keep going. There was no time to wallow in self defeat and she wasn't the same Gabrielle from then. So she reached deep within herself as Arrian found his way down to them and Gabrielle grabbed his saddle with one hand and held Aurora with the other as she pulled herself back to her feet. She then took the stallion's reins and kept going despite everything within her physical being screaming at her to stop. After going for a bit longer Gabrielle spotted a ledge that led upward and dipped back further at one point. It wasn't a building or a cave but at this point, it was better than remaining completely out in the open as they had been up until that point Which to Gabrielle that seemed like a sanctuary to have a shield from at least most of the wind. So even if it didn't completely get them out of danger, from the overall cold, it did feel a good amount better without the wind hitting them as she led Arrian over and got them into the indent. Exhausted Gabrielle cleared a small spot on the ground of most of the snow and sat with Aurora as far in the indent as she could. Which wasn't that much sense it wasn't very big, with just enough room for her, Aurora, and Arrian. But again given what she had been dealing with, Gabrielle wasn't about to complain. Even if the wind that still reached them prevented her from building a fire that wouldn't still be blown out too quickly for it to do them any good. So instead Gabrielle huddled herself around Aurora who was still inside of her coat to try and keep the child any bit warmer as she tried to reassure both the little girl as well as herself that they were going to make it through this nightmare...  somehow. 

GABRIELLE
I know it's not the best solution but I think this is the best we can probably hope for right now. So just hold on for mommy. Everything will be okay Aurora. Everything will be okay. 

?
Is it really? Because it sure doesn't look that way to me. 

Gabrielle scowled as she heard the familiar voice before seeing Alti appear standing a few feet away from her and Aurora. 

ALTI
Hello Gabrielle. 

Alti then smiled at Aurora which made Gabrielle hold the little girl a bit further from Alti. 

ALTI
Oh, don't worry I have no interest in that child. I'm already on my way to getting exactly what I want. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Which would be what exactly? Other than to obviously get rid of Xena and myself. 

Also looked at Gabrielle a bit closer but still kept her distance. 

ALTI
My, you certainly have changed since I saw you last. Haven't you? 

Gabrielle didn't respond to the completely non-genuine question as she got directly back to the point of why Alti was there. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Why are you here Alti? What's the reason behind you doing all this? 

ALTI
I guess since you and Xena won't be able to stand in my way soon enough when you're both dead I can tell you. 

Before Gabrielle knew what had happened, Alti was suddenly crouched down right in front of her. 

ALTI
You see I've recently learned that the village you two have been living in has something that I want and getting my hands on it will be so much simpler if I waited a little and found a way to get you both out of my way. And from the way things are looking right now, It seems like I won't be waiting very much longer. 

Also cackled as she vanished as fast as she had appeared with her voice lingering behind for a moment. 

ALTI
Speaking of which I think I'll go check back in at the village just to make sure I haven't missed the beginning of the end. 

And those cryptic words, just like that Alti was gone. Gabrielle shivered and held Aurora as even though she didn't know the entirety of whatever Alti was after, it seemed as though she would succeed at getting it. As well as removing any chance of Xena or Gabrielle standing in her way for good. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy