Pt.19 

As the cold winter wind blew, Alti stood and looked around at her handy work. Satisfied with seeing Xena leaning against the broken building after being pierced by a broken piece of the building Alti had thrown her through. Gabrielle felt her heart pounding in her chest as the villagers surrounded her, Ephiny and Aurora. She yelled to Xena again but got no response from her. Gabrielle held her said ready as she backed up slightly, ready to fight her way to Xena once more. Alti cackled as Clover slowly made her way closer. Clover scowled and clenched her axe handle angrily as she took another few steps before stopping a little ways away from Gabrielle.

CLOVER
This all ends here and now.

Gabrielle braced herself for another fight as Alti spoke.

ALTI
Don't worry Gabrielle, even though Xena's done for, you'll be seeing her again soon enough.

Alti spoke as the others drew closer to Gabrielle and completely surrounded her.

ALTI
Yes. Now go, kill Gabrielle and be rid of both of them for good. Finish this.

Gabrielle stood ready to at least attempt to fight as long as she could against the villagers as Clover stood there with her axe in hand and a scowl on her face. She looked at Gabrielle for a moment before smirking for a brief second as she spoke.

CLOVER
Hey bitch!

Clover returned to scowling as she turned around and faced Alti.

CLOVER
(angry tone) I really don't like being toyed with and used.

ALTI
What?!

Alti looked around and saw that the rest of the villagers who were still up were all angrily staring her down. Gabrielle also noticed everyone turning their attention towards Alti.

GABRIELLE
(thinking to herself) What's going on?

Clover and several others put themselves between Alti and Gabrielle and Xena as they stood facing the sorceress. Alti scowled.

ALTI
(angry tone) What are you doing? Kill Gabrielle. Now!

CLOVER
Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

ALTI
(angry tone) Have you all forgotten what she did? Keeping what Xena's done from all of you. She betrayed you and made Xena your queen. She's just as much of an enemy to your people as Xena.

CLOVER
Nice try.  But the only enemy to us I see hear is you.

GABRIELLE
Clover?

Clover stepped closer to Alti.

CLOVER
(Angry tone) You attacked us, showed us those images, messed with our minds, and turned us against two people who have done more for this village in a few short years than most of us have done in our whole lives of living here. We damn near killed not only our queen but her kid too. You tried to convince us that Xena was a monster when in reality it was you the whole time.

ALTI
I never lied to you. Everything you saw was completely true. It was Gabrielle and Xena who kept things from you. They even admitted it.

CLOVER
You're right, they did keep Xena's past from us but since being here they've done nothing but do anything they could for us. If they really were our enemy they've had plenty of time to do something and yet haven't.
(angry tone) But you. Xena was right, you clearly can't be trusted.

Alti scowled as she stepped closer to Clover.

ALTI
You would think you would be a little more grateful to someone who finally showed you the truth.

CLOVER
(angry tone) But for what? You attacked us, then turned around and showed us that stuff about Xena after hearing she was our queen, and then just disappeared. Why? It doesn't make sense.

Alti didn't say anything as Gabrielle spoke up.

GABRIELLE
Because she's after something here in the village. She told me so herself. And she did all of this to prevent Xena from stopping her. Because she knows that Xena would.

The villagers looked at each other in shock as Clover shook her head in disbelief.

CLOVER
But that's not possible. No one but the people living here should know about that. How did she...

Realizing that there was no longer any point in trying to persuade the villagers of who their enemy was, Alti decided to switch to a much more direct approach to getting what she wanted.

ALTI
I know far more than any of you could ever realize. I've searched for what's here for far too long and I refuse to let anyone here stop me from finally taking its power for my own.

CLOVER
We won't let you.

IRIS
The women here have protected this place for as long as we can remember.

FAUNA
And we'll continue to do so from the likes of you.

SKYLA
So you should just give up and leave now because you won't be getting anything from here.

ALTI
(sinister tone) What makes you think you can stop me?

CLOVER
Trust me we have ways of making sure that what's in place stays safe by any means necessary.

Somewhat catching on to what Clover meant, Alti seemed to become thoughtful for a moment.

ALTI
Is that so? You people would really turn to such drastic measures just to stop me?

CLOVER
If we had to.

ALTI
Then in that case all I have to do is kill all of you before you get the chance.

Clover smirked.

CLOVER
Go ahead. But you do that and you'll really never find what you're looking for.

Gabrielle looked at everyone feeling fairly confused by what was going on.

GABRIELLE
Wait Clover how are you all free from Alti's control? And how do you guys know what she wants with this village?

Clover glanced at Gabrielle.

CLOVER
We can talk later.

Skyla walked up to Gabrielle and smiled her usual cheerful smile.

SKYLA
Don't worry your highness. We have everything under control now. So you just sit tight and let us handle things for once.

Alti let out an angry yell as she vanished and then reappeared in front of Clover. She grabbed Clover by the throat and lifted her off the ground.

ALTI
(angry tone) You think just because you've somehow gotten free of my control that I can't still get what I want? Tell me, what's stopping me from killing you right here and now?

Clover gasped as she still managed to speak.

CLOVER
Because I'm not afraid to die to protect my home or my people. So go ahead kill me. But if you think that'll get you what you want, you're wrong. Everyone else here will stop you. And like I already said, if you kill all of us then you'll really never get what you're after.

Alti tightened her grip on Clover as she looked around at the others.

ALTI
Give me what I want now. Or watch your friend die right here.

As much as they wanted to no one stepped forward. Including Skyla who found it unbelievably difficult not to do anything while standing there watching the woman she loved on the verge of being killed. But she, along with everyone else in the village knew the consequences of what could happen if they gave in to Alti's demands. And that was something that they all knew took priority above anything.

GABRIELLE
It's over Alti. Even with all of your manipulation, you've failed. Whatever it is you're after,  you're not getting it from this village or its people.

Alti sneered at everyone and then looked at Clover who was still in her grasp. Then with a scowl, she threw Clover to the ground, who gasped as she was able to breathe once again.

ALTI
Fine. Have it your way. But don't you think this is over. The power of what I know is here WILL be mine.

With that, Alti vanished with a sinister laugh.

ALTI
I'll see you all again. And next time you won't be so lucky.

As Alti's voice faded, everyone looked around to make sure she was gone.

SKYLA
Is she really gone?

Clover stood up.

CLOVER
I think so.

Now with no one stopping her, Gabrielle's attention returned to Xena as she hurried over to where Xena was still sitting impaled by the wooden pieces.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

Gabrielle knelt in front of her.

GABRIELLE
Can you hear me?

She slowly reached out and touched Xena but got no response.

GABRIELLE
No, Xena. Xena wake up.

Gabrielle tried to get Xena to stir but still got nothing

GABRIELLE
Come on I've seen you get through much worse than this. Xena.

Still not getting any response Gabrielle felt panic begin to set in as she looked at the turned to look at the others who were watching from a distance.

GABRIELLE
Hurry help me get her to the healers.

Ephiny walked over and handed Gabrielle Aurora as she crouched down and checked Xena's pulse.

EPHINY
She's alive but just barely. If we don't move quickly she won't make it. And even then...

GABRIELLE
No, Xena's survived worse. She can get through this too.

Gabrielle gently brushed Xena's cheek as she tried to convince herself of the statement she just made.

GABRIELLE
She has to.

Gabrielle stood up and carried Aurora as she followed the few villagers who carefully picked up Xena's limp body and brought her to the village infirmary. And though Alti had left and the villagers had returned to normal, the victory felt hollow as Xena barely clung to life after fighting to defend the very people who had tried to kill her just a short time ago. Which was something that all of the women there would not soon forget. And even more so if their scorned champion in Xena wasn't able to survive.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy