Pt.4

Keeping her blade ready Xena remained on alert as Ephiny, Clover, and Willow stood and readied their weapons. They moved to Xena.

CLOVER 
What's up, Xena? Did you hear an army coming our way or something?

XENA 
No Clover, this is no army. It's something far more dangerous.

WILLOW 
More dangerous than an army? You can't be serious.

XENA 
If I'm right, which I hope I'm not, yes I'm completely serious.

EPHINY 
So what exactly is it that we're up against here? Because of the way you're acting, I have to admit that I'm getting a little concerned.

Everything but Xena jumped slightly when the whole group heard a voice echo around them.

?
Oh, you should be much more than a little concerned.

Xena scowled after hearing the voice, now leaving no room for doubt that she was right. She stepped forward as she spoke and looked around for any signs of who she knew would soon appear.

XENA 
What are you doing here? It shouldn't be possible.

?
Oh, Xena. You of all people should know what I'm capable of.

Ephiny, Willow, and Clover looked at each other for a moment with confused expressions. It was apparent to them that Xena seemed to have some kind of history with the owner of the mysterious voice. And it was clearly enough of one for Xena to seem concerned. Which caused Ephiny, Willow, and Clover to ready their defenses. Because they knew that if whoever they had just encountered was enough for Xena to act this way, they might have stumbled into some very serious trouble.

XENA 
You've been watching us for some time now, haven't you?

?
Ah, even after all this time, you're just as perceptive as ever.

XENA
So what is it exactly that you're after? 


Oh come now, Xena. You of all people should know very well what I want. It's the same thing that I've always been after and at one time you were all too happy to help me with. 

WILLOW
Xena, what's going on? 


Oh, Xena. Do your little friends not know? 

The others looked at Xena as Ephiny was about to question her, but was cut off when Xena continued to speak. 

XENA
Forget it. That was a long time ago. Now why don't you stop playing your games and just show yourself already? 

The voice cackled. 

?
Alright, Xena. If you really wanna see me that badly. 

Before anyone knew it, another woman was suddenly standing among them. Everyone except Xena moved back slightly in shock at the unexpected appearance of another person out of nowhere. The woman wore a sinister smile as she stood before Xena and the others. Xena gave a very unhappy scowl as the rest of the group watched Xena staring the woman down, gripping the handle of her blade tight. 

XENA
Alti.

The sorceress continued to smile as she began to slowly walk towards Xena and the rest of the group. 

ALTI
It's been a long time hasn't it Xena? 

XENA
Not long enough.

CLOVER
Xena, you know this strange woman that just showed up out of thin air? 

XENA
Unfortunately. Though she's supposed to be dead. 

ALTI
Who says I'm not? 

XENA
Stop with the semantics Alti, you know exactly what I mean. We destroyed your remains a long time ago. Your soul should've been destroyed with it. 

ALTI
I have my ways, Xena. While I might have taught you a lot of what you know about spiritual matters, I didn't fill you in on everything. 

EPHINY
Xena was this woman your teacher or something? 

XENA
I've had a couple throughout the years. But yeah I suppose in a way you could say that. Although everything that I learned from her came at a price. One that at the time I was completely content with paying as long as I got what I wanted. 

CLOVER 
Okay, now I'm confused. You make it sound like practically sold your heart and soul to her or something. 

ALTI
Oh, but she did. Not that she really had a heart back then though. Back when you were my destroyer of nations. Isn't that right Xena? 

Xena scowled at Alti, as the rest of the group became even more confused when Alti referred to Xena by one of the old titles that Xena had once gone by. 

ALTI
Though I suppose you did always prefer that title of Conquerer that you also went by in those days, didn't you? 

XENA
You know full well that was practically a different lifetime ago. Now if we're done reminiscing, you're interrupting what was a rather nice trip that I don't recall inviting you on. So you can just forget about whatever it is you're after now and go right back to being nothing but a pile of old bones. 

In an instant, Xena took her chakram from her hip beneath her coat and threw it in Alti's direction. Using her powers, Alti vanished before Xena's weapon could connect and the group heard her laugh echo around them. 

ALTI
Come on Xena, you didn't think it would be that simple, did you? 

Xena looked at Ephiny, Willow, and Clover. 

XENA
Be ready for anything. Alti is extremely dangerous and unpredictable. We might not be in the spirit realm where she's the most powerful, but even here she can kill or torture you with barely any effort. 

CLOVER
I don't get it.  What was all of that stuff she was saying? Calling you "Destroyer Of Nations" and "Conquerer". What was that all about? Those don't exactly sound like particularly heroic titles if you ask me. 

ALTI
That's because they're not. 

Just as Clover heard Alti's voice behind her and quickly turned around as a result,  Alti swiped her hand to the side. And though Clover didn't feel her make physical contact, she found herself being thrown backward and landed flat on the ground several feet away as she looked at Alti in disbelief at what had just happened.

CLOVER 
(Thinking to herself) I think I get why Xena seemed so on edge. That woman didn't even touch me. How's that possible? Is she some kind of goddess or something? 

Not liking seeing Clover and Xena being toyed with, Ephiny and Willow shared a quick glance, and then both readied their weapons as they charged for Alti together. 

XENA
No stop! It won't work. 

But Xena's warning came too late as Alti used her supernatural powers to grab hold of Ephiny, lift her slightly off the ground, and pull her to her. All the while Ephiny fought to resist but found herself barely able to move a muscle as she was soon hovering just above the ground face-to-face with Alti. 

EPHINY
What are you? 

Alti gave an evil smile as she watched Ephiny's futile struggle. 

ALTI
You and your people's destruction.

And with those words, Alti used her powers to throw Ephiny and send her crashing into Willow. The two Amazons collided and hit the dirt in a heap. Xena growled to herself as she stood alone for the moment as the others got back up. She knew that going up against Alti like this was pointless. The evil shamaness would just end up killing all of them. Though likely not before she had some fun tormenting the group first. While Xena knew that she and the others didn't stand a chance against this surprise attack, she was also aware of the fact that Alti wasn't about to simply let any of them escape. Especially not Xena due to the history that the two of them shared. So unfortunately the only option was for them to try and fend off Alti's attacks until Xena could find some kind of opening for them to escape. So with that in mind, Xena ran for Alti. Now knowing some of what Alti was capable of Ephiny, Clover, and Willow couldn't help but wonder what Xena was thinking by attempting to just charge straight for Alti like she was. But Xena knew full well what she was doing as she came close to Alti before abruptly changing her direction and attacking from a different angle. But Alti anticipated Xena's movements and vanished before Xena's blade could make contact. After a moment Xena felt Alti's presence behind her and hastily turned while swinging her sword. But this time her blade faded right through Alti as if she weren't even there. Seeing the look of anger on Xena's face Alti cackled as she quickly shot out her hand and grabbed Xena by the throat. Xena fought to get free as she felt her airway getting cut off. Alti then lifted her off the ground effortlessly with one hand and watched as Xena struggled.

ALTI
My how things sure have changed haven't they Xena? The once powerful force to be reckoned with, now becoming reduced to nothing but a washed-up warrior who thinks that her "good deeds" will be enough to make any bit of difference. 

Alti continued to tighten her grip on Xena's throat but was suddenly distracted when she heard voices shouting as they drew very near, very fast. 

CLOVER
Hey bitch! 

Alti looked up as Clover, Ephiny, and Willow all came leaping at her together. 

CLOVER
Keep your damn hands off of our queen. 

Taken completely off guard Alti released her grip on Xena as she vanished to avoid the triple attack. Xena dropped to the ground as she coughed and gasped, able to breathe once again. Clover and Willow stood on guard for Alti's next strike as Ephiny crouched down beside Xena as she sat up and rubbed her throat.

EPHINY
You okay?

XENA
Yeah, thanks.

Xena and Ephiny stood as the group heard Alti's voice.

ALTI
Now this is interesting. 

Also appeared once more and stood a ways off from Xena and the others.

ALTI
Was I just hearing things, or did that foul-mouthed brute of an Amazon just refer to you as their queen? 

Clover scowled.  

CLOVER
Hey, who the fuck are you calling a foul-mouthed brute? As if I wasn't planning on it already, but now I'm really gonna enjoy kicking your ass all the way back to whatever rat-infested hole you crawled out of bitch. 

WILLOW
You're literally providing her right about you with that statement, Clover. 

Completely ignoring what Clover and Willow had just said Ephiny spoke up. 

EPHINY
That's right, Xena's our Queen. Or one of 'em at least. What of it? 

Alti gave a sinister smile as she slowly walked towards the group. 

ALTI
I just find it very interesting that any of you would allow Xena of all people to become your leader. Especially after everything that she's done. 

CLOVER
What in Tartarus are you talking about? 

ALTI
Oh, now I see. They have no idea, do they? Although I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that you've kept that part of you're life hidden from your now loyal subjects. After all, if they knew the truth I'm certain that they wouldn't be quite so quick to come running to your defense would they? 

Clover, Willow, and Ephiny all looked at Xena with curious expressions. 

WILLOW
Xena, what's she talking about? 

Xena didn't know what she should say. Keeping her past hidden had been something that she and mostly Gabrielle had decided was for the best of everyone. With Gabrielle stating that since Xena is no longer the same person she once was, nothing good could come from revealing Xena's dark and violent past toward the Amazonian people. Which Gabrielle had been proven right when the now long-dead Kai discovered some of Xena's past actions and in turn teamed up with Valssca in her plot to kill Gabrielle to get her own twisted version of justice and revenge for what Xena had done to her people. Even during their encounter with the Great Amazonian Council that had unfortunately later led to an all-out war among most of the Amazon nation thanks to Ares when Xena's past had been brought up, she and Gabrielle had somehow managed to still keep it hidden from everyone else in the village. But now in that moment, it was beginning to seem to Xena that she had been a fool to think that she'd be able to keep her evil past hidden from these people forever. And began to sincerely feel remorseful for doing so. Even if Gabrielle had convinced her that it was the right thing to do. 

ALTI
What's wrong Xena? Aren't you gonna tell them? 

Also smiled an evil smile. 

ALTI
(sinister tone) Or wait I have a better idea. I'll just show them.

Alti cacked as she suddenly disappeared and rematerialized again a second later behind everyone. They all quickly turned around.

CLOVER
What the...

Clover was cut off mid-sentence as Alti grabbed hold of her and a series of violent and depraved images began to flood her mind. Ephiny and Willow looked on in terror as Clover's eyes rolled back and her body began to twitch uncontrollably, almost as if she were having a seizure.

WILLOW
Clover! What in Tartarus are you doing to her?!

EPHINY
Let her go! Now!

ALTI
Oh, don't worry I will in a moment. I'm just giving her a quick little peek at what it is that Your precious queen, Xena has been keeping from all of her dearly devoted subjects.

The rest of the group made multiple attempts to free Clover from Alti's grasp but were merely thrown back by Alti's use of her powers. All the while within Clover's mind she was bearing witness to events that within moments would become the catalyst that would drastically alter everything between not only Xena and the Amazons there but also those back in the village. And with Gabrielle as well.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy