Pt.8

 Nothing about the secret Anazon village felt like home anymore to Gabrielle as she pounded on the inside of the front door to the house that she and Xena had lived in together for several years now. 

GABRIELLE
You can't do this! I wanna see Xena, now! 

The familiar voice of Iris came from the other side of the door. 

IRIS
You know I can't do that Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE
Then let me go talk to Clover. There must be some way I can convince her not to go through with this. 

IRIS
She's busy getting things prepared for Xena's execution. 

GABRIELLE
(angry tone) Damn it Iris let me out of here! 

IRIS
You'll be let out soon enough when you're escorted out of the village tomorrow. 

Gabrielle threw her fist against the door once more in anger and frustration before turning around, leaning against it, and sinking to the floor in defeat as she cried. A little later as Gabrielle still sat up against the door not knowing how she and Xena were going to get out of this one, she heard Iris talking to someone outside. A few moments later she heard the door being unlocked and quickly stood and moved away from the door as it was opened. 

GABRIELLE
Ephiny.

Ephiny walked inside and The other guard with Iris shut the door and locked it again. Ephiny and Gabrielle hugged for a long moment before pulling away. 

EPHINY
How're you holding up? 

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone/ sarcasm) Well, let's see both Xena and myself were just put through a sham of a trial and convicted of treason by the people we thought were our friends. I've been stripped of my role as queen and exiled from the Amazons for life. Oh, and the woman I love more than anything is gonna be killed by the very people she's fought alongside, to protect and called her friends. So yeah I feel real great right now. 

EPHINY
Sorry, I guess that was a pretty dumb question. 

Gabrielle sighed. 

GABRIELLE
No. I'm sorry I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. You're basically the only person left around here who doesn't despise me and Xena. Or think that we're traitors. 

EPHINY
It's fine, given the situation I understand. 

Ephiny walked Gabrielle over to the couch as they sat down. 

EPHINY
I'm guessing given the time that Aurora's sleeping upstairs. 

GABRIELLE
Yeah. Though she was being fussy tonight so it was difficult to get her to sleep. Usually when she gets like that Xena just sings to her and she calms right down and goes to sleep. 

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny as she held herself back from crying again. 

GABRIELLE
They're gonna kill her Ephiny. After everything she's done for them, they're just.. There has to be some way to stop them. 

EPHINY
I wish there was. I really do. 

Gabrielle rubbed her forehead as she ran through any options they might have to save Xena.  Then she thought of something that due to the chaos of everything she'd completely overlooked until that moment. She looks at Ephiny and for the first time since Xena had been brought back to the village from the hunting trip, she smiled. 

GABRIELLE
Wait a minute there is. 

EPHINY
What? 

GABRIELLE
You. 

EPHINY
I'm not following. 

GABRIELLE
I'm not queen anymore Ephiny. And since Xena's had her title revoked too, According to the line of succession, and because Aurora still isn't old enough to hold the throne yet, that makes you the new Queen. I know it's not official yet but still. This means you can stop them from executing Xena. 

EPHINY
No, I can't. 

Gabrielle's smile disappeared as quickly as it came. 

GABRIELLE
What do you mean you can't? I've found ways around sentencing people to death when the laws technically called for it. 

EPHINY
It's not that. You know if I had a way to stop them I would. But I can't. 

GABRIELLE
I don't get it, why can't you stop them? 

EPHINY
Because I don't have the power. I'm not gonna be the new queen. 

GABRIELLE
What do you mean you're not the next queen? You were technically next in line after me before I named Xena my successor instead. I get that you never really liked the thought but you can't turn it down now when we need you.

EPHINY
Gabrielle, I didn't turn anything down. Clover and the others held a meeting after you and Xena were taken away and cast another vote to stop me from laying claim to the title. 

GABRIELLE
Wait don't tell me that's what Clover's goal really is. I never imagined that she was after the throne. 

EPHINY
No, I'm fairly certain she has no interest in taking the role of queen for herself. Otherwise, they wouldn't have left the title vacant until they send out word to other villages about your and Xena's "betrayal" and left it to them to decide on the new queen. 

GABRIELLE
But if no one here cares about being queen, why stop you from taking the throne? 

EPHINY
To prevent the exact thing you assumed I'd do once I became queen. 

That was when Gabrielle knew exactly why Clover and the others had blocked Ephiny's claim to becoming queen. 

GABRIELLE
They didn't want to run the risk of you stopping the execution or pardoning Xena altogether. 

EPHINY
That or just handing the title right back to you for you to do it. 

Gabrielle sat there in disbelief. 

GABRIELLE
So that's it then. There's nothing we can do to stop them. 

EPHINY
Short of psychically breaking Xena out of her holding cell and making a run for it no. 

Ephiny saw the look Gabrielle gave her and was fast to put a stop to the thought that she knew had come to Gabrielle's mind. 

EPHINY
Before you even say anything, no we can't just break Xena free and make a run for it. 

GABRIELLE
Well, I have to do something. I'm not just gonna let them force me out of here and leave Xena here to be killed. 

EPHINY
And if you try breaking her out they'll just kill you and anyone else who tries to help. And if you remember you still have that little girl of yours to worry about. I highly doubt you and Xena want Aurora to grow up an orphan. Plus you know Xena wouldn't want you risking your life because of her like that. And if I know Xena, I'm certain she feels guilty and blames herself for this whole mess already. 

Gabrielle knew that Ephiny was right. And suddenly found the last shred of brief hope she had for saving Xena slip right through her grasp. 

GABRIELLE
So there really isn't anything we can do. 

Gabrielle and Ephiny sat in silence for a while before Gabrielle finally spoke again. 

GABRIELLE
I have to see her. 

EPHINY
I already figured that. 

It was decently dark, but Xena could hear approaching footsteps as she sat on the cold, hard ground of her cell with her head lowered. Focusing on the sounds around her for clues to what might be going on outside. 

XENA
(thinking to herself) Only one. Probably to bring me some food or drink. No, it would be too risky to only send one. They all know that. So that means... 

Xena looked up as she saw the only person who could bring a smile to her face at a time like this come into view. 

XENA
Hey. 

GABRIELLE
Hey yourself.

Gabrielle couldn't help but smile at Xena's ridiculously casual greeting given the situation. She walked up to the bars of the cell as Xena stood and met her on her side. 

GABRIELLE
Are you okay? 

XENA
Yeah. Better now that you're here now though. 

GABRIELLE
I've been talking with Ephiny and trying to come up with a way to get you out of here, but.. 

XENA
Yeah, I kinda figured they wouldn't make it easy on us. 

GABRIELLE 
We can't even have Ephiny get you out of here... 

XENA
Because they blocked her from being queen due to her close ties to us. 

GABRIELLE
Of course, you figured that out. 

XENA
And I'm guessing that good old Ephiny is the one who helped get you in here to see me too. Because I don't think anyone else would trust us alone together and not plan something. 

Gabrielle smiled. 

GABRIELLE
Right again. 

Gabrielle quickly explained that after some smooth talking on Ephiny and her part, they managed to sneak her in to see Xena. And that Ephiny was near the entrance with Aurora on the lookout for Clover or anyone else who might be coming in. 

XRNA
I'm really gonna owe her someday. 

GABRIELLE
I'm pretty sure we both are. 

Gabrielle's face went serious as she continued. 

GABRIELLE
But seriously what are we gonna do here Xena? They're gonna kill you and they're forcing me and Aurora out of the village tomorrow. 

XENA
I thought they were giving you a few days. 

GABRIELLE
Apparently not. 

XENA
Couldn't you pled you're case to stay longer? Use the weather. They were the ones who were saying that going out during these bad winters was essentially a death sentence. They can't force you and Aurora out in this

GABRIELLE
Ephiny tried that but it didn't work. 

Xena scowled. 

XENA
(Angry tone) So they don't even care about sending an innocent child to what they know would be her death. 

GABRIELLE
I guess not.

Gabrielle rested her forehead against the bars of Xena's cell. 

GABRIELLE
I don't get it. I can understand them being upset and even calling for some kind of punishment. But all of this just feels like overkill. 

XENA
I was thinking about that too. Especially when it comes to Clover. Ever since Alti got a hold of her she's just seemed different. 

GABRIELLE
Wait what do you mean? 

XENA
Right, I guess there hasn't really been time to explain what happened while we were out. 

GABRIELLE
All I know is that you guys ran into Alti out there and she probably caused all of this. But I thought we killed her. 

XENA 
Well, apparently I'm losing my touch because that was definitely her. 

GABRIELLE
But what's she after now? 

XENA
I have no idea but it's clearly nothing good. 

GABRIELLE
So based on what Clover and the others said during the trial, I'm guessing that Alti showed them visions of you and the northern Amazons. 

XENA
Yeah. Among other things too apparently. 

GABRIELLE
But why. 

XENA
Don't know.  After she heard them mention I was queen, she showed them that stuff and then just disappeared.

GABRIELLE
Okay this is somehow making both more and less sense now. But you think that Alti might have done something more to the others than just show them your past? And then just left afterward. 

XENA
Right now that's my best guess. That or Clover's just completely lost her damn mind. 

GABRIELLE
Okay but even knowing that Alti is for whatever reason behind all this, that still doesn't help get you out of here. 

XENA
Not directly. But.. 

Xena was interrupted when Ephiny came over from keeping watch with Aurora in her arms. 

EPHINY
I hate to interrupt but Clover and a few others are heading this way. We better get out of here Gabrielle. 

Gabrielle looked at Ephiny and then back at Xena. 

GABRIELLE
We can't leave you here. They're gonna kill you. 

XENA
There's nothing we can do right now so go. 

GABRIELLE
I can't just leave you here. 

XENA
Gabrielle.. 

GABRIELLE
No, I don't care how dangerous it is, I'm not leaving here without you. 

CLOVER
Oh, Gabrielle, you make it sound like you have a choice. 

Gabriella and Ephiny turned around to see Clover and several guards standing in the doorway. Both of them and Xena scowled as Clover walked a little closer. 

CLOVER
Odd, I don't remember saying that our prisoner was Allowed visitors. Or that Gabrielle was allowed out of the house. 

Clover looked at Ephiny. 

CLOVER
Maybe you wanna be punished too for helping these two traitors Ephiny. Or are you just pissed off that the title of queen didn't go straight to you? 

Ephiny was about to tell Clover off in a very colorful way that would've surprised even Xena but was stopped when Gabrielle spoke up. 

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) I snuck out. I wanted to see Xena. Ephiny was just coming to bring me back. 

Clover got up close to Gabrielle and looked down slightly at her sense she was close to Xena's height but still a little shorter. 

CLOVER 
Did you now? I guess I can't be too surprised. Given how close you two are I guess it does seem cruel to you two apart like this without letting you say goodbye. 

GABRIELLE
I'm not letting you execute Xena. 

CLOVER
You don't have a say. 

GABRIELLE
What did Alti do to you to turn you into a monster? 

CLOVER
I'm not the one who's the monster here. Because of what that woman showed me I realize that the only monster among us this whole time has been Xena. And I'll prove it. 

Clover motioned to the guards to let Gabrielle into Xena's cell. Once the door was opened they shoved Gabrielle inside then shut and locked the door behind her. 

GABRIELLE
Hey, what are you doing? 

CLOVER
Proving my point. Now I'll leave you alone for a few minutes to let you say your goodbyes to one another. Because this will be the last time you'll see each other in this life. 

Clover and the guards stepped outside as Ephiny went and stood near the exit with Aurora in an attempt to give Xena and Gabrielle a few moments of privacy. Inside the small cell, Gabrielle and Xena stood facing one another. 

GABRIELLE
I can't do this Xena. I can't leave you here. 

XENA
It'll be alright somehow. You need to be strong for that little one of ours. 

GABRIELLE 
They're gonna kill you, Xena. How is anything after that gonna make any of this okay? I can't lose you like this. I just can't. 

Xena reached out, pulled Gabrielle close, and just held her as they stood together in that tiny, dark cell of which in that moment somehow seemed brighter than the vast darkness that had seemed to fall over them much too fast for either one of them to escape from. Gabrielle wrapped her arms around Xena as she rested her head on Xena's chest and began to cry.

GABRIELLE
I love you, Xena. 

XENA
I love you too Gabrielle. And no matter what happens to me after today just know that nothing will ever change that. 

GABRIELLE
I'm sorry this is all my fault. If I hadn't... 

Xena pulled out of the embrace and held Gabrielle's shoulders. 

XENA
No. None of this is you're fault Gabrielle you hear me. You were on death's door and did what you felt was the right thing. 

GABRIELLE
That's basically what Ephiny said too, but... 

XENA
But nothing. You are not responsible for any of this. All of this mess is Alti's fault. 

Xena gently pulled Gabrielle back in close. 

XENA
(thinking to herself) And mine. 

The two suddenly heard voices coming their way and before they knew it Clover and the guards had returned. 

CLOVER
Times up. And time for you to go. You'll find a bag of your things and your horse outside. Don't worry I made sure to give you the essentials for both you and Aurora to hopefully make it somewhere else. 

Clover motioned for the cell door to be unlocked and the guards entered to escort Gabrielle out of the village. 

GABRIELLE
Xena I.. How am I supposed to do this? 

XENA
Gabrielle, no matter what happens or where we are. Physically together or apart. Remember that I am always with you. 

Xena then leaned close and kissed Gabrielle. Gabrielle deepened the kiss as she felt the guards grab hold of her before forcefully pulling her away and out of the cell as it was shut once again with Xena locked inside to await her execution. 

GABRIELLE
Xena! 

The cold wind blew and the snow lightly fell as Gabrielle soon found herself making sure that Aurora was warm as the toddler sat in front of her in Arrian's saddle before taking one final look back at the village she, Xena, and Aurora had called home and where she was being forced to leave Xena behind to die. 

CLOVER
(cold tone) Now leave Gabrielle, and never come back. 

Gabrielle briefly looked around at the sea of unfriendly faces that had up until a few short days ago had welcomed her and Xena with open arms. Still hoping that all of this was just some terrible nightmare that she'd wake from any moment now and everything would be the way it was before. She, Xena, and Aurora would be a happy little family living their lives among all of their dear friends in the beautiful Amazon village. But sadly Gabrielle knew this wasn't a dream. It was reality, her reality. As Ephiny stood beside her and handed Gabrielle Argos reigns, she spoke quietly so no one else could hear. 

EPHINY
(Whisper) Find somewhere safe and warm but stay in the area. If I really can't stop the execution, afterward I'll take Xena's body and come find you. As her wife, it's only right that you get to decide what to do with her remains.

GABRIELLE
(Whisper) Thank you. Then Argo should probably stay here for now. You can bring her with Xena. It'll make it easier. 

Ephiny agreed as she took back Argo's reigns and stepped back as Gabrielle gave her a sad smile, thanking her. Gabrielle then took one last look in the direction of where Xena was being held before forcing herself to turn Arrian away and rode out of the village with Aurora. Leaving the imprisoned, doomed Xena and her own shattered heart behind. 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy