Pt.25

With the rain falling over them, everyone looked on with heavy hearts as Gabrielle cried, heartbroken that despite the goddess Artemis returning her soul to her body, Xena was dead. She cradled Xena's body in her arms as she tried to figure out how she would go on without Xena by her side. With a saddened expression, Artemis crouched down in front of Gabrielle again.

ARTEMIS
I'm so sorry Gabrielle, I wish there was something more I could do for her. I truly do. But even us gods have limitations on what we're capable of.

The goddess reached over and gently wiped some of the tears from Gabrielle's face.

ARTEMIS
Good or bad, Xena was certainly a one of a kind person. And though I didn't have very much iteration with her, I have a feeling that she wouldn't want to see you like this. For a woman who was typically fairly stoic, it was plain to see just how much she loved you, Gabrielle. Just as you love her. And while it may hurt now, someday you'll be able to look back at your time together with her and smile.

Gabrielle lowered her eyes, as she didn't see how that could be possible. As in her grief, it seemed impossible that she would ever be able to smile again. Sensing that her words weren't reaching Gabrielle's broken heart, Artemis continued.

ARTEMIS
You know Gabrielle, when I held Xena's soul I saw a lot of her memories. Many of them of her time with you. And what Xena told you those some years ago was true. Even though she might physically be gone from your life, you'll never be without her because she'll always live on, in here.

The goddess placed her hand over Gabrielle's heart.

ARTEMIS
As soul mates, the two of you are one. So no matter where you go or what you do, Xena will always be with you.

Gabrielle didn't respond as she quietly wept, and Artemis took her hand away before standing up to leave Gabrielle to grieve. The goddess looked around at the village that was smoldering from the fire being put out as she saw just how destroyed it all was. Artemis sighed to herself at the lengths needed to go to in order to stop Alti and shook her head in disbelief.

SKYLA
Artemis?

The goddess looked over to where Skyla was still sitting with Clover. She walked over and crouched down in front of them. She saw the sword embedded in Clover's back and held her hand over her.

ARTEMIS
Here, this I can fix.

A white light radiated from her hand as the sword faded away and Clover's wound close as if it had never even been there to begin with.

ARTEMIS
There you go Clover. Good as new.

Hesitantly Clover tried to move and both she and Skyla were overjoyed when Clover raised her arm without any trouble. They looked at each other and smiled as Clover got up and helped Skyla to her feet as well.

CLOVER
Thank you.

ARTEMIS
Of course.

As the rain continued to fall, Artemis turned to look at the village again.

ARTEMIS
(Sad tone/ talking to herself) So much destruction, and all over a foolish quest for power. I thought the fountain would be safe here. Though it's clear that's no longer the case.

SKYLA
Artemis?

The goddess turned back towards Skyla and Clover.

ARTEMIS
Yes Skyla?

SKYLA
Can you really not do anything for Xena?

ARTEMIS
Sadly no. As I told Gabrielle, as much as I wish I could, Xena's soul is just too damaged from what Alti did. And as almighty as a lot of humanity might think we are, there are just some things that even us god's can't do.

SKYLA
You mean like destroying the fountain?

ARTEMIS
Yes. Though we created it, its power somehow became too great for us to destroy. Which was why I was tasked with finding a way to keep it from falling into the wrong hands, and chose the women of this village to be its guardians.

Skyla looked out at the destroyed village.

SKYLA
(Sad tone) It's too bad we failed to do the one thing that we were supposed to do.

The goddess gently turned Skyla's face back towards her.

ARTEMIS
(Soft tone) No, you didn't fail at all. Everyone here did everything they could to protect the fountain. You were even all prepared to sacrifice yourselves in order to do so. It was that very sense of devotion that led me to choose this tribe to be the fountain's guardians to begin with. I couldn't have asked for a better grasp of people to take on such a demanding and largely unrewarded task. The reason why it's remained safe for all their this time is because of all of you. And I couldn't be prouder.

The goddess smiled as Clover thought of something as she heard Skyla and Artemis' conversation.

CLOVER
Wait a minute. That's it!

Skyla and Artemis looked at Clover.

SKYLA
What?

CLOVER
The fountain. Couldn't we use that to bring Xena back?

Nearby, Gabrielle could overhear the conversation and perked up when Clover mentioned the fountain as did a few others.

Gabrielle
Wait, is that even possible?

Artemis looked at Gabrielle and sighed.

ARTEMIS
Honestly I don't know. That's why I didn't mention it. The fountain's powerful but when it c comes to bringing back the dead with so much damage to their soul like Xena, I don't see anything being that powerful. While the gods may have created humanity, the human soul is something that has become something that even surpasses the god's understanding So to my knowledge no, I'm sorry, but I don't believe that the fountain can do such a thing.

Gabrielle looked at Clover.

GABRIELLE
(Sad tone) Thanks Clover, I guess it was worth a shot.

FAUNA
Wait a moment.

Over hearing the conversation, Fauna came over.

FAUNA
You said that even the gods weren't powerful enough to get rid of it, isn't it at least possible that it might work to bring Xena back?

ARTEMIS
Like I said its power has grown beyond what we had ever imagined it would when it was created. So I suppose it is within the realm of possibility.

SKYLA
Then isn't it at least worth trying? We know that no one outside the village is supposed to use it, but given everything that Xena and Gabrielle have done for not only us but we've heard of what they've both done for our people all over. I think they both have earned the opportunity for us to at least try and bring Xena back.

CLOVER
Skyla's right.

FAUNA
I agree.

Gabrielle looked around in awe as every single able-bodied Amazon within earshot reiterated that they should see if the Fountain Of Youth could revive both Xena's body and soul. Finally, as more and more women spoke up, Artemis raised her hand to silence them. A moment later, after everyone was quiet, the goddess looked at Gabrielle.

ARTEMIS
Gabrielle, I truly don't know if it'll work, and I don't want you to get your hopes up, but if you would like for us to use the fountain to try and heal Xena's soul and bring her back, then I agree to allow it.

Gabrielle's eyes lit up slightly at the fact that there might've been hope that Xena could come back.

GABRIELLE
Really?! I mean, yes, of course I wanna try. Thank you, Artemis.

Gabrielle looked around.

GABRIELLE. Thank all of you. I don't know what else to say. You don't know what this means to me.

Skyla and Clover looked at each other for a moment and smiled before looking back at Gabrielle.

SKYLA
Actually I think we do.

GABRIELLE
Yeah, I guess you do.

Artemis smiled.

ARTEMIS
Okay let's get over Xena into the fountain.

With a snap of her fingers Artemis teleported Gabrielle, Xena and all the rest of the villagers, including the non-native Amazons to the base of the waterfall within the village.

WILLOW
Woah what in the world are we doing here?

AMARICE
I have no idea.

CORA
(Amazed tone) Artemis.

Ephiny held Aurora in her arms as she too found herself surprised to be standing among all the other villagers at the base of the waterfall. She then saw Gabrielle holding Xena in her arms and felt terrible for her friend as she wondered why Artemis had gathered everyone together the way she did. Gabrielle looked around at the familiar scenery that she had seen on nearly a daily basis for the past few years and found herself confused.

GABRIELLE
Artemis why are at the waterfall? I thought you were bringing us to the fountain.

ARTEMIS
Oh but I did.

Gabrielle looked around, but didn't see anything that even remotely resembled a fountain of any.

GABRIELLE
Where? I don't see it.

The goddess giggled slightly.

ARTEMIS
Oh my dear Gabrielle, you're looking at it. In fact I'm sure that you've seen it on basically a daily basis since your arrival here.

Artemis walked over to the lake where the waterfall poured into and quickly tapped one fingertip onto the water's surface. Gabrielle then watched in awe as the water rippled and a beautiful light blue glow began to radiate from the waterfall and lake.

GABRIELLE
(Amazed tone) Unbelievable. This whole time the fountain of youth has been right in front of my eyes and I had no idea. I don't know what I thought it would look like but..

ARTEMIS
You thought giving the name it would look like an actual fountain.

GABRIELLE
Yeah kinda.

ARTEMIS
Well you see Gabrielle though the gods couldn't destroy it, we could change its appearance. Which is what I did in order to better conceal it, this way if anything like what happened today came to pass, anyone without knowledge of its form being altered would have an extremely difficult time finding it. Thus protecting it even further.

Gabrielle looked at the others.

GABRIELLE
Then if it's practically unnoticeable to anyone from the outside, why still burn the village?

ARTEMIS
It was my request that they do so. Because though it's highly unlikely that it would be discovered, there was still a chance. And with something so powerful, that is a chance that comes at far too high of a risk to take.

GABRIELLE
I get it.

Gabrielle looked at the waterfall and lake as she took in all of this new information and understood why such drastic measures to protect the fountain needed to be taken.

ARTEMIS
Okay let's get Xena into the water and see if it'll work.

Gabrielle stood at the water's edge as a few of the villagers lowered Xena's body into the water, completely submerging her beneath the lake. The women then waded back to shore as everyone stood by quietly and anxiously waiting to see if the magical, healing water would have any effect. The water began to glow brighter and brighter for several moments, until the light slowly faded away, and the lake returned to appearing as though it was just a regular body of water. Gabrielle watched for any movement within the lake, but to her disappointment and heartbreak, the water's surface remained still. After waiting a little longer, Artemis placed her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder as she stood beside her.

ARTEMIS
(Somber tone) I'm sorry, Gabrielle. I wanted it to work, I really did. But sadly, it seems that Xena truly is gone.

Gabrielle cried, as did many others as they stood by the lake and mourned the loss of Xena. Which was something that none of them, especially Gabrielle, would soon forget.

FINALE

The crowd around the waterfall and lake that was the Fountain Of Youth looked on sadly as they watched Gabrielle standing by the waters edge as she cried. The glimer of hope that the fountain could revive Xena had apparently been nothing but fantasy. The damage to Xena's soul must've been too great for even something so powerful to heal. Gabrielle looked at the still water for how long, she didn't know until she thought of something that scared her even more than Xena being dead.

GABRIELLE 
Artemis you said that Xena's soul is so damaged that even the fountain can't heal it. But what does that mean for Xena in the afterlife? Can her damaged soul even more on?

ARTEMIS 
I wish I could tell you you Gabrielle. But unfortunately that's yet another thing I don't know. The human soul is incredibly complicated. And just like each person, souls very in strength and durability depending on the person. And it isn't always obvious which ones are stronger and which aren't. While a person might have a strong body, mind and personality, their soul can be quite fragile and delicate. And the same is true for someone who appears feble and frail, their soul can be strong and durable. And what decides that along with what happens to severely damaged souls is a complete unknown, even to us gods.

Gabrielle looked at the water for another long moment before turning away and slowly walking from the lake and the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
(Sad monotone) Could someone get her out of the water. I have a funeral to begin to prepare.

No one knew what to say as they watched Gabrielle take Aurora and begin to walk away. As Gabrielle held her and Xena's child close she found herself not being able to wait to leave the village behind. Though she loved the people in it, the village now held far too many memories that now with Xena gone, were just far to painful for her to be around. Which was why as soon as Xena's funeral was over, she was going to take Aurora and leave. Gabrielle walked slowly but the decided to stop and wait to see Xena get brought out of the fountain. She turned around just as a couple of women began wading into the water to retrieve Xena's body. Then as Gabrielle stood there for a moment a large splash erupted from the lake as Xena's head suddenly emerged from the water with a loud gasp. Everyone froze as not a single person including Artemis could believe their eyes. Xena coughed up a bit of water as the Amazons who were already coming to get her body quickly moved to help Xena out of the water. As they did, Gabrielle practically ran to Xena and met her in the water as she held Aurora in one arm and threw the other around Xena who though not certain of what was going on, returned Gabrielle's embrace as they stood in the slightly above waist deep water and Gabrielle couldn't help but dry tears of joy that Xena was alive.

GABRIELLE 
I thought I'd lost you and that you were gonna be completely gone forever.

Xena kissed the top of Gabrielle's head as she held her.

XENA 
(Soft tone) It's alright, I'm here now.

After a moment as Xena's began to get her bearings she noticed where they were and saw smoke from the smoldering remains of the village and quickly went on alert for Alti and her army. 

She pulled from Gabrielle's embrace as she looked around for the shamaness.

XENA 
(Worried tone) Alti, her army, where are they?

Xena then felt Gabrielle take her hand and looked at her.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Xena, it's over. Alti can never hurt anyone ever again.

Xena was about to ask what happened when Gabrielle began walking as she held Aurora and Xena's hand as she led them out of the water.

GABRIELLE 
Come on we can explain once we're out of here.

Once back on land, everyone waiting cheered and celebrated Xena's revival as they welcomed her back to the world of the living. Then after a few moments Xena's superhuman senses finally kicked in as she felt a super natural presence and looked to see Artemis standing nearby.

XENA 
Artemis, I'm guessing you're the reason why the village and myself are still here.

ARTEMIS 
For someone who doesn't think to highly of the god's, you're giving,me quite a lot of credit Xena.

GABRIELLE 
But she's not wrong though. If it weren't for you were would all be gone by now.

Artemis smiled.

ARTEMIS 
Well thank you none the less. Though I'm afraid I can't take credit for your being back.

Confused, Xena looked back at the lake she had just walked out of as only a moment later she had a thought as she looked back at Artemis.

XENA 
So I take it that the lake and waterfall is the Fountain Of Youth and that's how you brought me back.

A number of the Amazons talked amongst themselves as others laughed.

CLOVER 
(Laughing) Of course leave it to Xena to figure out the village's big secret just like that.

SKYLA 
Somehow that does not surprise me one bit.

IRIS 
When it comes to Xena or Gabrielle, what does anymore?

FAUNA 
Good point.

Artemis just smiled as she chuckled a bit and shook her head in mock disapproval.

ARTEMIS 
You truly are something Xena. And I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for not only this village but all of my Amazons. Regardless of what you may have done in your past, and though you may not be an Amazon, know that as long as you are an ally of the Amazon people, you will always have my aid should you ever need it and my blessings on all you do in your life should you want it. And the same goes for you Gabrielle. Though knowing Xena I doubt that the later really matters given your uneasy relationship with us gods.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
I appreciate that Artemis. And as for how I feel about the god's, you're definitely at the top of the very short list of the ones that I actually like. And given everything you've done for Gabrielle and myself, I'd say that we're even. But it's good to know that we can at least count on one immortal not to be a colossal pain in the ass of all humanity.

The goddess laughed as Gabrielle playfully nudged Xena in her side and got a smirk from Xena in response.

ARTEMIS 
Well I'll take that as a win then.

The goddess then turned around as her face grew serious when she looked at the village once again. Noticing Artemis' change in demeanor Gabrielle spoke up.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry for what happened to the village. But can't you use your power to fix it?

Artemis sighed as she folded her arms just below her chest and continued looking out at the destroyed village.

ARTEMIS 
It's not that I can't fix it, it's the fact that I don't think the fountain is safe here anymore.

GABRIELLE 
But I swear on my life that Xena, myself or the others would never tell anyone about it.

The goddess turned to Gabrielle and softly smiled.

ARTEMIS 
I know that Gabrielle. You've all fought so hard to defend it, and I can't thank you enough for that.

Her face then returned to the serious expression that she had only seconds before.

ARTEMIS 
But I'm afraid that far too much has happened over the past few years to put it at risk. It's just simply not wise to leave it here any longer.

The goddess turned towards the villagers.

ARTEMIS 
I'm sorry, I know it isn't your fault but I'm afraid I have to move the fountain somewhere else.

The women of the village looked at each other for a moment before a few stepped forward.

IRIS 
We understand Artemis. On behalf of everyone from the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank you for choosing us to keep watch over the fountain for all these years.

Iris then took a knee as Gabrielle, Xena and the non-native Amazons watched all the other villagers do the same around them.

IRIS 
 It has truly been an honor.

Artemis smiled at the villagers.

ARTEMIS 
My precious Amazons, I wish I could take you all too. But sadly due to the fountain's power I can not move both it and all of you at the same time. There for you will have to stay here.

Not understanding the goddesses logic Gabrielle spoke up.

GABRIELLE 
But couldn't you just move the fountain and then come back for everyone. Or have one of the other gods help you?

Artemis looked at Gabrielle.

ARTEMIS 
Sadly that isn't possible Gabrielle. The fountain is strictly my responsibility as I won for my Amazons to be its guardians.

XENA 
Okay so why not just make more than one trip? If you care so much about those women as you seem to, it seems more logical than just taking the fountain and leaving them behind.

ARTEMIS 
I would if I could but that option is just simply out of the question.

GABRIELLE 
Why?

Artemis sighed as she tried to figure out how to explain the sad truth about their current situation as Iris chose to speak up and fill Xena and Gabrielle in on the important issue that they were missing.

IRIS 
Because once the fountain leaves this or any other place it's been, the inate power that goes with it leaves too. 

GABRIELLE 
What does that mean?

ARTEMIS 
(Disheartened tone) Sadly I don't think for you'll fully understand what I'm trying to say unless you see it for yourselves.

Artemis looked at the villagers with a sad look in her eyes.

ARTEMIS 
I'm sorry my Amazons, truly I am. Are you ready?

The women of the village all signified that they were infact prepared for whatever was about to happen as Xena, Gabrielle, Ephiny, Amarice, Cora and Willow all watched as Artemis turned towards the water and held out her cupped hands as she closed her eyes and began to focus intensely. A few seconds later Gabrielle and Xena were amazed as gradually the waterfall stopped flowing and a stream of water began to rise from the lake and flow through the air until it reached Artemis' open hands as it formed a liquid orb within her grasp. It took some time until finally the last of the magical water found its way to Artemis and she gasped in exhaustion as what she had just done had clearly been very taxing on the powerful goddess. After a moment Artemis caught her metaphorical breath as she looked at the water from the fountain of youth in her hands. She then returned her focus to the women of the village. 

ARTEMIS 
Unfortunately keeping the fountain in this state is very difficult and strenuous so I'm afraid that as much as I want to, I'm afraid that I can't stay to see you all off.

SKYLA 
That's okay we understand.

Artemis smiled.

ARTEMIS 
I had a feeling that you would. 

There was a moment of silence as Artemis took one more look at the Amazons of the village and gave a small wave.

ARTEMIS 
Well my best on your journey to your next destination. I hope you all find your way with ease. Until the day we met again, farewell, stay safe and I love you all.

And with those final words and a flash of blinding light, Artemis disappeared from the village, taking the Fountain Of Youth with her. Gabrielle, Xena and the other non-native Amazons stood looking at the empty lake and waterfall still trying to fully process everything that had just transpired over the course of what was by far the single longet day of any of their lives. After a moment Gabrielle turned towards the villagers as the others did the same.

GABRIELLE 
So now that the fountain is gone what will...

Gabrielle stopped mid sentence as she noticed something shocking about Skyla.

GABRIELLE 
(Surprised tone) Skyla, your hair, it's turning white.

Skyla looked at her naturally red hair that was rapidly losing all of it pigment as it was infact fading completely white.

SKYLA 
Oh yeah.

She looked back at Gabrielle and smiled as multiple age lines began to appear on her cheerful face.

SKYLA 
I guess that would happen given that I'm....

Skyla paused for moment as she then laughed at herself a bit before continuing.

SKYLA 
Huh come to think of it I don't even remember how old I am.

CLOVER 
Well at a certain point there was really no point in keeping track anyone since we couldn't die of old age.

Hearing Clover, Xena looked over to see her sitting down as she too had grown increasingly old with her hair gone grey and her normal warrior physique was rapidly turning into one of a frail old woman's.

SKYLA 
Good point.

Stunned by what they were seeing Xena, Gabrielle and the non-native Amazons looked on as all of the villagers began very rapidly aging as one by one they all became very old women.

GABRIELLE 
(Confused/ scared tone) Skyla what's going on? What's happening to everyone?

Skyla smiled as she continued to unnaturally grow older by the minute.

SKYLA 
I guess we never did tell you guys about this did we? 

IRIS 
Well we never thought it necessary given our situation.

Seeing Iris also aging at an alarming rate Amarice quickly reached out and helped keep her from falling after she lost her balance for a moment and helped her sit on the ground.

AMARICE 
Are you okay?

IRIS 
Yes, thank you Amarice.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean.

Fauna was next to speak as like everyone else from the village had grown very elderly and she decided it best to move the conversation along as quickly as possible.

FAUNA 
Because while we could be killed or die from all the other usual things such as injuries, sickness or any other manner of death you can think of, due to the fountain of youth, the one thing that we couldn't die from was old age, because not long after we became the fountain's guardians, due to our prolonged exposure to the water, we simply stopped aging. 

XENA 
And now that it's gone the natural affects of time are quickly catching up to you. So that's what Artemis ment when she mentioned your "journey to your next destination". She ment to your afterlives. I thought her highly emotional goodbye seemed odd if all she was doing was moving the fountain. Now everything she was saying makes since.

Xena looked at Gabrielle who was visibly upset as they realized what was going to happen.

SKYLA 
Oh I think it was somewhere nearing 723? No, 24. 725?

Skyla laughed as she made her way over to Clover who took her hand and arm as she help Skyla ease herself to sit on the ground beside her.

SKYLA 
Meh I can't remember, oh well. It's not like any of that is really mattered. And it it'll matter even less soon enough anyway.

Gabrielle shook her head in disbelief as she saw all of the surviving women from the battle against Alti and her army that she had become such close friends with over the past few years, that were now all very elderly beginning to sit or lay down on the ground around them 

GABRIELLE 
So that's it? Artemis takes the fountain and everyone from this village dies? This isn't fair. After everything you must've done and sacrificed over all these years to protect the fountain of youth from falling into the wrong hands and this is what you get in return? This isn't fair.

Gabrielle looked up at the sky that had slowly began to stop raining as she yelled.

GABRIELLE 
Artemis! Artemis if you can hear me, you can't just let them die like this. Youcome back and take them with the fountain! ... Artemis!

FAUNA 
Gabrielle please don't be upset. It's okay.

Gabrielle looked at Fauna as she cried.

GABRIELLE 
How is any of this okay?

FAUNA 
Because while yes our time as we were on this earth may be coming to an end, our next lives will soon begin. Because once we die our souls will be reborn into the next-generation of the fountain's guardians.

GABRIELLE 
Wait so you aren't really going to die?

FAUNA 
Technically while our souls will continue on, things like our appearances, personalities, memories and things like that which made us the people you knew will be completely different.

XENA 
Everything you just said makes it sound like everything that made you what you are now will be gone.

GABRIELLE 
That's basically the same thing as actually dying.

IRIS 
You could see it that way, but deep down at our very core our core souls will always remain the same as they are now and have always been. So everything about the women here that you know won't be completely gone. Even though it's not likely that we'll ever meet again.

Gabrielle was about to respond as one by one the villagers began fading away into hundreds of thousands of specs of light that then floated up into the sky as they then faded away into nothing. She felt Xena hold her tight the they watched more of the women beginning to do the same.

IRIS 
Gabrielle, Xena you take care of one another and Aurora. Everyone.

Gabrielle, Xena and the non-native Amazons looked at Iris as she spoke to them.

IRIS 
I'm so glad that you came to live with us for the relatively short time you did. I know it was a few years but compared to the fact that those of us from this village been here for hundreds of years, to everyone who's lived here for so long, a few years in a fairly short time. But believe me when I say that through all of the highs and lows, good times and bad that we've shared together, I'm so grateful to have known all of you and will always hold a special place in my heart for all of you. Goodbye, my friends.

And with that Iris too faded into countless specs of light that began to rise into the sky with many others as Fauna spoke up next.

FAUNA 
Though this may be a physical end of our time together, I will never forget any of you or all that you've done for us. Know that wherever your lives may take you, regardless of what life I may have taken on i will always carry a part of you all with me, just as a small piece of me will forever remain with you.

As she finished, Fauna's body slowly evaporated into light that disbursed into miniscule orbs that joined Fauna and the other villagers that had already faded away.

CLOVER 
I guess that means it's my turn huh?

Xena,Gabrielle and the others turned their attention towards Clover.

CLOVER 
Look I'm not the best at this kind of thing. And what can I say that hasn't been said? it's been completely insane with you guys around. More crazy shit has happened here since you guys showed up then has ever happened before. Xena, Gabrielle I'm convinced that the two of you are some kind of lure for trouble. Life with you guys around was never dull that's for sure. I don't think I could've asked for better friends or allies. I'm glad we got to stand side by side through everything. Xena, Gabrielle thanks for everything. Keep doing what you guys do best and that's being the bad-ass hero's that you are. Watch out for each other and that little princess of yours. Take care.

With a quick smile and wave Clover was the next to disappear into the specs of light. Then it was Skyla who was the last of their little group of close friends that remained. She smiled as she watched the rest of Clover float away before looking at Xena, Gabrielle and the others.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle or should I say your highness, Xena, everyone else. Don't forget about us. I know I'll definitely remember all of you. It's been one Hades of an adventure since you showed up. One that none of us could have ever imagined. And I'm so glad that I got to share it with you and call all of you my friends and my sisters and yes I'm counting you too Xena even though you're technically not an Amazon. 

Skyla sighed as she did her best to keep herself from crying and continued.

SKYLA 
Well as you've already seen when you left the village not long ago, I am NOT good with goodbyes. So let's not call this one. Because as completely insane as all of our lives can clearly be, who knows maybe somehow, someday we'll see each other again. And if we do I can't wait to get into all kinds of trouble with you all over again. So I won't say goodbye, instead let's just say until our crazy Fates bring us together again. See ya.

And with a quick wave and the cheerful attitude that Skyla was known for, she was the last of the Amazons from the Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe to disapate into light. As Xena, Gabrielle, Ephiny, Amarice, Cora, Willow and little Aurora were the last ones remaining within the village aside from Artimis. With all of them saddened and some shedding tears over the painful goodbye, Artemis stepped in front of them.

ARTEMIS 
Again thank you all for everything you've done here. Though I know goodbyes of this kind are difficult for mortals such as yourselves,I hope that you can all find comfort in the memories from this place that you take with you. And as you all move on to whatever life has in store for you, remember that the amazing thing about painful and difficult endings is that they're often a disguise for beautiful, new beginnings.

Suddenly an extremely bright light began to radiate from the goddess, causing everyone left in the village to close and shield their eyes. Then as soon as the light had come it was gone as everyone opened their eyes and were surprised by what they saw.

GABRIELLE 
It's gone. Everything. 

Gabrielle held Aurora as she, Xena, Ephiny, Amarice, Cora and Willow all stood in a vast empty field with all of their belongings and horses waiting nearby.

AMARICE 
Are you sure that Artemis didn't just bring us somewhere else?

Xena looked around for a moment.

XENA 
No this is definitely where the village was. I recognize everything around here. See there's where the entrance to the village would be.

Xena pointed before walking over and grabbing a chunk of dissuaded bark from a nearby tree that she held over her head to keep from getting completely soaked again as she was now completely dry dispite her having been in the fountain's water not long before. Something that she figured was Artemis' doing. So holding the piece of wood above her head, Xena disappeared under the waterfall as she checked for the village's secret entrance. A few moments later Gabrielle watched as Xena walked out from the waterfall and came back over to the rest of the small group as she tossed aside the pieces of tree bark.

XENA 
Yup it's gone. There's nothing but a completely intact wall of stone back there.

GABRIELLE 
So that's really it? Everything about that amazing village is just gone.

CORA 
It seems that way.

WILLOW 
I guess Artemis wasn't kidding about it being an ending.

AMARICE 
Yeah but she also said it was a new beginning.

EPHINY 
And maybe that would be the better way to look at this.

Gabrielle looked at the waterfall as she felt Xena's hand on her shoulder and looked at Xena for a moment and smiled as she then looked at the others.

GABRIELLE 
You know I think you might be right.

WILLOW 
So what's everyone here gonna do now?

CORA 
I don't know about you but I'm going home.

WILLOW 
(Joking tone) Hey what a coincidence, me too.

CORA 
(Slightly annoyed tone) I swear Willow sometimes you are just insufferable.

Willow smiled.

WILLOW 
Yeah but you love it.

CORA 
Ug.

Cora rolled her eyes as she then turned her focus to the others.

CORA 
Then I guess this is goodbye for us too. Though not nearly as dramatic though.

GABRIELLE 
I'm fine that trust me.

Cora and Willow said their goodbyes to the other four women as they then headed in the direction of their home village and walked out of view.

AMARICE 
I guess I'll be heading home too. I think it's been too long since I've been back. Gabrielle,Xena, Ephiny I'll see you around.

Amarice headed in another direction from Willow and Cora as she too walked out of view. 

EPHINY 
(Joking tone) And then there were three.

XENA 
(Exaggerated gasp/ joking) And just when I think this day can't get any more unbelievable, Ephiny makes a decent joke.

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Very funny Xena.

Gabrielle laughed at the friendly banter as Ephiny looked at her.

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Yeah laugh it up Gabrielle. Some queen you are.

GABRIELLE 
Weeeell...

Ephiny sighed.

EPHINY 
Yeah I know, you're going with Xena and I'm back to being iterum queen until you come visit.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
You know you never have to take the role if you really don't want it.

EPHINY 
I know. And I would turn it down. But I know that you would rather be out on the road with Xena and now Aurora. And i know that my position isn't permanent. 
(Half joking) Just try and visit a bit more often so I can get a break more than every two or three seasons.

GABRIELLE 
We'll try.

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Sure, I've heard that before.

Ephiny smiled as she hugged Gabrielle and gave Xena the warriors handshake as they said their goodbyes and Ephiny mounted her horse and rode away, as Xena Gabrielle and Aurora were the only ones left around. Gabrielle held Aurora as she and Xena climbed onto Argo and Arrian and Gabrielle got Aurora situated in the saddle in front of her. Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
So where to now Xena?

Xena shrugged casually.

XENA 
Don't know. I guess we'll just do what we used to do and just go wherever life and the road takes us.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
I like the sound of that.

Xena returned a smile back at her.

XENA 
I thought you would.

With a gentle nudge, Xena got Argo moving and Gabrielle did the same with Arrian. The two, along with Aurora rode away from the waterfall where the secret village of the Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe once layed. And as they rode off towards wherever was ahead, neither Xena nor Gabrielle would ever forget the time they spent there. Or what transpired on that day as the sun set on their time as the now nonexistent village's princess and queen as they had face down the coup de grace of the crowned.

THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series
SCROLLIX: THE COUP DE GRACE OF A CROWN (THE FINAL SCROLL)
END ❤️
* ~~~ >>--❤--> ~~~ *
THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series END ❤️

SERIES ENDING NOTES:
And so ends the epic tale of Xena and Gabrielle's time in a secret amazon village of the Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe. This was my first attempt at doing a full length, multi story series. So I hope you've enjoyed reading it even half as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Thank you to everyone who's read, liked or commented on this series or any of my other work. I always appreciate your support, comments and any constructive feedback you have to offer. I do have plans to do other series in the future as well as plenty of stand alone stories as well. So to all my readers I hope you'll continue to read and enjoy my work. And as always thanks for reading. I hope to share plenty more adventures of our favorite warrior princess and her battling bard.
So I hope you keep reading. 
Thank you all.😁

EMAIL:
😁 Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy