FROM ASHES: THE ETERNAL FLAME OF THE PHOENIX 

Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com

 

SUMMARY: The story of Gabrielle's journey after Xena dies in the Xena Warrior Princess series finale "A Friend In Need" as she carries on traveling around helping people who need it. A number of years go by, the whole time she never forgets Xena. As she travels Gabrielle comes across people who claim that Xena has come back from the dead and is alive. Gabrielle wonders how this can be possible and decides not to believe it. But when more strange things begin to happen that point to that possibility. Gabrielle can't help but get her hopes up. She begins searching for answers. When she hears rumors that the resurrected Xena has gone back to her warlord ways, Refusing to believe that Xena would do that and knowing that everything about the whole situation is very suspicious, Gabrielle sets out to uncover the whatever is really going on and to find the truth behind the mysterious circumstances surrounding the supposedly dead Xena.

 

PROLOG:
What does it mean to truly love someone? To find that person that you feel unmistakably drawn to. Someone who makes you feel complete. Someone who fills a space within ones heart where there seems to be a feeling as though something had been missing there before. And why exactly do we feel this way? Why is it that we can sense this unexplainable connection with someone else? No one is quite certain of the reasons for this. Although there are many different theories on this matter. Some of which are based on years of study and research. While others are a bit more remarkable in their explanations on the subject. But perhaps out of all of the many ideas and rationalizations of why two people can be so connected on such a deep level one of the most captivating and meaningful explanations comes in the form of a simple story from a time long past.

When the world was new and the stars were young humanity looked very different from the way they do now. They had four arms, four legs and two heads. They were happy and complete. Their lives filled with joy and love. That is until the gods began to fear that humanity was becoming a threat to their godhood and power. Finally the day came when the gods determined that humans had become too powerful and that they needed to be gotten rid of once and for all. So in an attempt to wipe out humanity completely, Zeus himself sent down bolts of lightning from his throne atop Mount Olympis. Panic and chaos ensued as lightning rained down on the terrified people below. Though they tried to flee, where could humanity possibly run to escape the vengeful Gods wrath that came down on them from above. There was simply nothing they could do to defend themselves against the onslaught. And so with no other options the people accepted that it was their fate to be destroyed. But just as humanity seemed to be at their end, out of no where something truly remarkable happened. Because instead of being killed by the wrathful God, when Zeus's lightning struck humanity suddenly found themselves split in two. With each now only having two arms, two legs and one head. It was unbelievable that Zeus' attempt to wipe out mankind had by some miracle failed. So humanity went on living in their new state. However other than the physical appearance there was also something else felt different to the people now as well. Because though humanity was physically unharmed by the god's tantrum, there was this strange new sensation of emptiness that was left following the event. Almost as if there was something inside them that was now somehow missing. There was this feeling as though the people had lost a part of their very soul. And ever since humanity has spent their lives searching for that other half of their soul that finally makes them feel complete. Or what would later be known as, their soulmate.

Is this just some old tale? Or perhaps like many stories, there's some semblance of truth or meaning behind it. Who's to say? But if it is true, how does one even find the one that was ment to be their other half? And what happens if the two halfs do find one another, but then they're once again torn apart? What is one half to do without the other? Do they mourn? Do they find a way to carry on alone? Or if it's possible do they begin their search for the half of their soul that was lost in the hopes of finding it once more?

STORY BEGINNING 

A gentle breeze blew as Gabrielle sat by herself under a tree as she looked out at the calm countryside. Her thoughts trailing to Xena, as they so often did. She looked up at the clear blue sky.

GABRIELLE 
I can't believe how long you've been gone Xena. It's strange, everything feels like it just happened yesterday. But also like an eternity has passed without you here. 

Gabrielle sighed as she quietly gazed into the vast sky above. It had been almost nine years since Xena had sacrificed herself in order save the souls that were captured by the evil demon Yodoshi. Since then Gabrielle had traveled alone, continuing to help anyone who needed help. She had been all over. From Japa to Chin, to Egypt. Anywhere she felt her path was taking her that's where she would go. Now she found herself back in Greece. It had been quite some time since she'd been there and Gabrielle had to admit that it was kind of nice to be back. Although she no longer considered it to be he home. After all she had always felt that home could not only be a place but also a person. And for Gabrielle her home was and always would be with Xena. So with her gone, Gabrielle felt as though she no longer had a place to call home. But that was fine with her. She most likely wasn't going to be staying in Greece for too long anyway. Gabrielle looked down slightly as she held the small pendant that she now wore around her neck. It held a small bit of Xena's ashes inside. Gabrielle had gotten it shortly after Xena had made the heartbreaking choice to stay dead. It just gave Gabrielle comfort to have the feeling of having Xena with her even if it was only a very small part. The rest of Xena's ashes now rested safely in Xena's family tomb back in Amphipolis. Gabrielle had brought them there after briefly returning to Greece from some of her travels. That was when she had gotten the pendant to keep a bit of Xena with her before leaving the rest of Xena with her family. So while physically gone, Gabrielle knew that Xena was always right beside her in spirit. And that was what had gotten her through all of the quiet lonely nights she had spent remembering all of the time she and Xena had spent together. Gabrielle stood up from the rock she had been sitting on.

GABRIELLE 
I think that's enough reminiscing for now. Time to get moving.

Gabrielle began walking towards the nearest road.

GABRIELLE 
I wonder how much Greece has changed since I've been gone.

Gabrielle continued on until she came to a city. She decided to stop by the market to pick up some supplies. As she walked through the busy streets she saw a crowd that was in the in city square. Ar first Gabrielle ignored the crowd as she looked through the stalls for anything she needed. Though that became impossible when some people in the crowd began yelling. 

MAN
This is nonsense. Peace in a lie! We don't want you or the rest of those foolish followers here.

Curious Gabrielle walked over and made her way to the front of the crowd. As she did she recognized the person that had drawn the crowd to begin with. She smiled as she stopped a few feet away.

GABRIELLE 
Eve?

Eve looked over as she heard her name and saw Gabrielle standing there.

EVE
Gabrielle. It's so good to see you.

Eve walked over as she and Gabrielle hugged, happy to see one another again. Though the joyful reunion would have to be put on hold as the angry people in the crowd continued yelling at Eve for her preaching of her teachings of Eli. Gabrielle stepped between Eve and the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
This is a free city. People are allowed to believe and preach whatever they wish here.

MAN
Yeah well no one asked you. Besides who do you think you are some kind of big hero or something.

Gabrielle smirked.

GABRIELLE 
Nope. I'm just a girl with a chakrum who doesn't like to see people like you push around other people like her who won't or can't stand up for themselves.

MAN 
I don't know what a chakrum is, but I don't care. But if you wanna stick your nose in something that doesn't involve you I'll be happy to teach you a lesson in minding your own business.

The man ran at Gabrielle. She easily moved out of the way as she threw Xena's chakrum that she now owned to the side. It ricocheted off a nearby building and came flying back towards the man. His eyes grew wide in terror as he saw the weapon coming right at him. He stood there frozen in fear. Just as the chakrum was about to connect Gabrielle stuck her hand in front of his face and effortlessly caught it. She smirked at him as he slowly backed away.

GABRIELLE 
Now how about you apologize for being so rude to this nice woman here..

The man looked from Gabrielle to Eve.

MAN
I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE 
Good.

The man nervously looked at Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
You can go now.

The man quickly raced off, having the living daylights scared out of him. After seeing that things had settled down and not wanting any more trouble the rest of the crowd decided to disburse as well, leaving Gabrielle and Eve standing in the town square. Gabrielle put the chakrum back on her hip as she turned to Eve.

EVE
It looks like you've gotten as good with that thing as mother was.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know about that but it certainly does come in handy. Come on let's grab something to eat. My treat.

Gabrielle and Eve went to the tavern and got some food. They sat and ate as they caught up on what they had both been up to. 

EVE 
You know I haven't seen you since you left again after mother...

Eve paused knowing that the subject of Xena's death was probably something that neither one of them really wanted to discuss. Gabrielle softly smiled.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Eve. It's been a long time. We can talk about her if you want. I actually think about Xena every day.

EVE
That doesn't surprise me. After all you two are soulmates after all.

Gabrielle thought of something that might help lighting the mood of their conversation.

GABRIELLE 
You know that reminds me. Have you ever heard the story of how soulmates came to be?

EVE 
Oh I see that you still have that bard side of you.

GABRIELLE 
Hey they don't don't call me the Battling Bard Of Potidaea for nothing.

Eve laughed a little. So Gabrielle told the tale of soulmates. During the story a small crowd formed around her as the people listened. Once done, the people applauded. Some even tossed a few Denars Gabrielle's way,even though she tried to tell them that they didn't need to pay her. So instead of making a scene Gabrielle took the money and gave it to Eve. 

EVE
I don't want this Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Before you say anything, I want you to have it. I'm sure you can find a better use for it than I can.

EVE 
If you insist. I guess I could help out some of the locals who don't have much.

GABRIELLE 
I think that's a great idea.

As the two continued to talk a woman came over to their table.

WOMAN 
Excuse me are you really Gabrielle the famous battling bard?

GABRIELLE 
I wouldn't say famous, but yes I'm her.

WOMAN 
Is it true that you know Xena, the warrior princess?

GABRIELLE 
Yes I knew her very well.

WOMAN 
Oh thank the god's I found you.

GABRIELLE 
Is there something I can do to help you?

WOMAN 
I'll say. And you can't start by telling me why on earth three days ago my village was attacked and my family was killed by that monster known as Xena?

×××

Gabrielle and Eve looked at the woman standing before them. Both confused by the woman's accusation.

GABRIELLE 
You must be confused. Xena's dead. 
(Sad tone) She has been for a while now.

The woman seemed to become angered by Gabrielle's statement.

WOMAN 
I know what she looks like. I'll never forget that woman's face. She killed my family  and many others before she took everything of value from my village.

GABRIELLE 
I'm so sorry that happened but what you're saying is just not possible. Like I said she's been gone for years. You must've seen someone else who looked like her.

WOMAN 
I should've figured that you wouldn't help. After all from everything I know you've always been Xena's obedient little bitch. I don't know why I even came over here. You probably knew about this already. I bet you're in cahoots with that murderous harlot anyway. So what's next for the return of Xena, raiding more villages, killing more innocent people, ruining even more lives? Apparently those stories about that woman becoming some sort of hero to the people were nothing but lies. 

GABRIELLE 
That's enough!

Gabrielle angerly stood up from her seat and looked the woman in the eyes.

GABRIELLE 
You're wrong. Look I don't know who attacked you're village but it was not Xena. Even if she wasn't dead she would still never do this. 

WOMAN 
You keep saying that she's dead, but are you sure? Because the woman I saw was definitely Xena. Maybe she just faked her death to give her the opportunity to go back to what she's been all along. A cold blooded killer who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. I guess she couldn't cut it at being a half decent person. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fighting for good thing was an act to start with. She probably just faked it and used people like you until she got tired of playing pretend ditched you for some other fool that she could charm into her bed and use for whatever sick plans she had next.

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she walked up to the woman and raised her hand to slap her for all the horrible things she said about Xena. Eve quickly got up and stopped her.

EVE
Gabrielle I know what this woman is saying is upsetting but hurting her won't do anything to help.

Gabrielle sighed knowing that Eve was right. She put her hand down and looked at the woman. She didn't say another word as she walked passed her and out of the tavern. Eve followed. Once outside Eve caught up with Gabrielle who was heading towards the stables.

EVE 
Gabrielle wait.

Gabrielle stopped and waited for Eve to catch up.

EVE 
Are you okay?

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. I guess I just lost my temper in there. I shouldn't let things like that get to me but...

EVE 
I understand. That woman was out of line for the things she was saying about mother.

GABRIELLE 
She seemed so convinced that it really was Xena too.

EVE 
You don't believe her do you?

GABRIELLE 
Of course not. Nothing that she was saying made any sense. It's just not possible.

EVE 
So what are you going to do?

GABRIELLE 
Maybe I'll head to her village and see what I can find. Whoever this really is needs to be found. And I'm going to make sure that they never dare to use Xena's name ever again.

Gabrielle calmed down and went back inside to apologize to the woman and to get the location of the village. Once that was done Gabrielle and Eve stood by the side of the road.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure you don't wanna come along?

EVE 
No that's okay. I would probably get in the way. Besides I think I still have some work to do here anyway. 

GABRIELLE 
You wouldn't get in my way. But if you'd rather stay that's okay.

EVE 
I hope you find out what's going on Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Oh don't worry I will. Hopefully I'll see you soon.

Gabrielle and Eve said their goodbyes and Gabrielle headed out towards the village that was attacked. Once she reached the outside of the village she stopped and looked at the devastation. Building's had been torched to the ground. Bodies layed in the dirt. Everything was destroyed. It was an awful sight. Gabrielle carefully walked into the village as she looked for survivors and clues as to who was really responsible for this disaster. As she searched the area Gabrielle heard someone call for help. She found a young man who had been wounded. She did her best to help him as she asked him what happened.

YOUNG MAN
We were attacked by an army lead by some woman.

Curious about what the man saw Gabrielle questioned him.

GABRIELLE 
Can you tell me what this woman looked like?

YOUNG MAN
She was tall, with long black hair and cold blue eyes.

GABRIELLE 
How did you see her eyes so well?

YOUNG MAN
I got a good look when she intarigated me by jabbing me in the neck. I don't know what she did exactly but she said I'd be dead quick if I didn't tell her what she wanted to know. It felt awful I don't really know how to explain what happened, I didn't wanna die so I told her what she wanted to hear.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay you're safe now.

Gabrielle thought about what she just heard.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) This doesn't make sense. What he just described sounds just like the pinch. But that's impossible I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who still knows it. I mean Xena was the one who taught me. But... could it actually be Xena? No it can't be. Come on Gabrielle that's impossible you know that. There must be some other explanation for this. There just has to be.

Gabrielle turned her attention back to the man and questioned him.

GABRIELLE 
What did she want to know?

MAN
She said something about where she could find some good men for soldiers, horses and weapons.

GABRIELLE 
Was she alone?

MAN
Yes.

GABRIELLE 
Can you tell me which way s left?

The man pointed to the other side of the village. Gabrielle did what she could to help the people. Once she figured that they could take things from there Gabrielle began to leave. But then she thought of one more question that could clear this whole mess up. She walked back to the man she had talked to when she arrived at the village.

GABRIELLE 
I have one more question for you if you don't mind.

MAN
Okay.

GABRIELLE 
The woman who attacked, you didn't by chance catch her name did you?

MAN 
I did. I'm pretty sure I heard her say that her name was Xena.

Everything about this whole situation pointed to the culprit actually being Xena. 

GABRIELLE 
No it can't be. How?

Gabrielle now knew that there was definitely something very strange going on. Was it really possible for Xena to have done this? If so, why? And more importantly how? Had Xena somehow come back from the dead? Gabrielle had so many questions that she was determined to find the answers to. Gabrielle left the village in search of the truth surrounding Xena's unexplainable reappearance and return to her former evil behavior.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know what's going on. And why you seem to have gone back to your old ways, but I know that isn't the real you. Xena iI promise if you really are somehow out there I'll find you. And I'll help you. I'll get to the bottom of this and fix everything. Just wait for me Xena, I'm coming.

×××

It was late at night as Gabrielle sat by the campfire unable to sleep. She had so many thoughts racing through her mind. If what people were saying was actually true and Xena was really back, it didn't make sense as to how it could've happened.
While it was true that both Gabrielle and Xena had come back from the dead before, this time seemed different. For starters Xena had chosen to stay dead to save the souls that were held captive. So it didn't make sense that she would change her mind and choose come back all these years later. Not to mention that fact of how she would even do it. The only thing that Gabrielle could think of was the possibility of someone else bringing Xena back and controlling her in some way. As crazy as it sounded to Gabrielle if this really was Xena that seemed like the most likely scenario. Whatever the case Gabrielle was prepared to do whatever it took to uncover the truth. After sitting with her thoughts for a while Gabrielle decided to at least try and get some sleep. She knew that she was gonna be heading out early to see if she could pick up the trail of Xena or whoever was behind the rumors of the warrior princess's return. Gabrielle drifted into a dream. She saw Xena walking aways ahead of her. Gabrielle dreaming about Xena wasn't unusual but this time something seemed different. As Xena walked Gabrielle called out to her. But Xena didn't respond. Gabrielle began running after her. But she stopped when large flames suddenly surrounded Xena. Unable to reach her Gabrielle called out again. This time she heard Xena yell out her name. Suddenly the flames rose higher and then in an instant everything vanished and Gabrielle was left standing alone in a dark void. She cried out for Xena as her voice echoed through the darkness. There was silence until she heard Xena's voice yell her name again. Gabrielle's shot open.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle sat up in a hurry and looked around seeing the she was still alone in her camp. The sun had just begun to creep into the sky. Gabrielle slowly calmed her breathing as she realized that she had been dreaming. But for some reason she couldn't shake the feeling that it might've been more than just a dream. After all both she and Xena have had seemingly prophetic dreams or visions before. Like when Xena had seen them both being crucified before it happened.

GABRIELLE 
What was that?

Gabrielle layed back down for a bit until finally realizing that she wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep. So she got up, ate, packed up camp and headed back on the road. As she walked, Gabrielle looked down as she held the pendant around her neck in her hand and smirked.

GABRIELLE 
You know I think these rumors about you are starting to get to me.

By midday Gabrielle had traveled a good distance. She stopped by a stream to take a break from walking. She had been sitting there for a bit when she saw an elderly woman a little down stream fetching some water. Gabrielle smiled as she got up to give the woman a hand. 

GABRIELLE 
Those buckets look a little heavy, let me take 'em for you.

The old woman looked at Gabrielle and smiled as she allowed Gabrielle to carry the buckets.

GABRIELLE 
So where are you going?

OLD WOMAN 
Just over that hill.

The woman pointed to a decent sized hill that they were heading towards. So Gabrielle carried the water as she walked beside the woman towards her house.

GABRIELLE 
You were going to carry these all that way by yourself?

OLD WOMAN 
Normally my son does this but he's away at an auction for more cattle for our farm.

GABRIELLE 
You don't have anyone else who could help you?

OLD WOMAN 
Well my grandchildren, but they're both far too young to carry those buckets so far.

GABRIELLE 
I see. Well I'm glad I could be of help then. 

Gabrielle introduced herself as she and the old woman made their way to the woman's home. Once there the woman invited Gabrielle inside. Gabrielle sat down at their table as the old woman got both of them some of the water Gabrielle had carried. The woman sat across from her as they struck up a friendly conversation.

OLD WOMAN 
So Gabrielle what's a nice girl like you doing traveling these dangerous roads all by herself? Don't you have a husband?

Gabrielle chuckled a little.

GABRIELLE 
No. 

OLD WOMAN 
Well don't you worry I'm sure a pretty thing like you will find someone soon.

GABRIELLE 
Actually I did have someone that I loved very much, but she's gone now.

The old woman heard the slight sadness in Gabrielle's voice.

OLD WOMAN 
I see. I'm sorry for your loss. If she got a sweet girl like you to fall for her she must've been a pretty special woman.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
You have no idea.

The two continued to chat as the old woman's young grandchildren came in from playing outside. They greeted Gabrielle. One of them told her that their grandmother always told them stories and asked if Gabrielle knew any. 

OLD WOMAN 
Now, now don't bother this nice young lady.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay I'm actually a bard myself.

The children sat on the floor in front of Gabrielle as she told an exciting story about one of her and Xena's many adventures. Afterwards the children were excited by the tale and raced back outside to play out the story, arguing over who was going to be Xena. Gabrielle giggled at their excitement.

OLD WOMAN 
That was some story.

Gabrielle turned her attention back to the woman.

GABRIELLE 
It's all true too.

OLD WOMAN 
Well it sounds like you and that Xena lived a pretty exciting life together.

GABRIELLE 
We certainly could never complain about boredom that's for sure.

Both Gabrielle and the woman laughed a little.

GABRIELLE 
So are you a bard too?

OLD WOMAN 
I was in my younger years. Though these days my stories are told to the audience of those little ones playing outside.

GABRIELLE 
I find that children can sometimes make the best audience.

OLD WOMAN 
So true. I know mine won't be quite as exciting, but perhaps you might enjoy hearing a story from this old woman.

GABRIELLE 
I would love to.

OLD WOMAN 
Tell me Gabrielle have you ever heard the tale of the eternal flame of the phoenix?

GABRIELLE 
No I've actually never heard that one.

The old woman smiled.

OLD WOMAN 
Well then I believe that this may be the story for you.

The woman took a sip of her water as she began to tell Gabrielle her story.

OLD WOMAN 
You see the phoenix is a magnificent creature. A beautiful, majestic bird that is very rarely seen by people. It holds so much symbolism and hope for for many people due to its amazing ability.

The woman paused seemingly waiting for Gabrielle to respond. So Gabrielle did.

GABRIELLE 
What's its ability?

OLD WOMAN 
Everlasting life.

GABRIELLE 
Oh so it can't die. Is it like a God then?

The old woman chuckled.

OLD WOMAN 
Not quite my dear girl. You see unlike a god, the phoenix can infact die. But what makes it so amazing is what happens after the creature's life ends.

Gabrielle felt strangely captivated by the woman's story as she continued to listen.

OLD WOMAN 
You see after the phoenix dies, it's body bursts into beautiful flames. It burns until nothing is left but ash. But the beauty of this creature is that where this would be the end for most, when the phoenix dies it also gives birth to new life. It might take time but eventually the bird rises up from from it's own ashes and begins life anew. 

Gabrielle sat stunned by the amazing tale. She couldn't explain why but she felt incredibly moved by the elderly woman's story.

GABRIELLE 
That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with me.

OLD WOMAN 
Of course. I'm happy you liked it. You know it's said that in rare cases the phoenix doesn't come back as a bird. Some say that other beings can be born with a phoenix's soul.

GABRIELLE 
Wouldn't that make some other creatures also immoral?

OLD WOMAN 
I suppose it would. But it's not like that old story's got any truth to it anyway. It's just something my mother told me for fun when I was a young girl. 

GABRIELLE 
It's still an amazing story.

OLD WOMAN 
Yes well while I do tend to prefer tales of non fiction, I did always like that one for some reason. Maybe it's the symbolism behind it.

GABRIELLE 
I think I might have to agree with you there.

Gabrielle stood up.

GABRIELLE 
I should be going now though.

The elderly woman smiled.

OLD WOMAN 
Adventure calls I see.

GABRIELLE 
It usually does eventually.

Gabrielle headed to the door.

OLD WOMAN 
Oh Gabrielle.

Gabrielle stopped and looked back at the old woman.

OLD WOMAN 
If you'd like you can add the story I told you to your own repituar.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks. That's very kind of you.

OLD WOMAN 
And if I might offer a word of advice from one bard to another. Sometimes the stories we tell can be just as much for ourselves as they are for others.

Gabrielle smiled at the kind old woman as she left. She walked down the dirt road for a while, then she stopped when she heard the sound of someone yelling. But this didn't sound like just any normal yell. It sounded like something familiar to Gabrielle. Something like she hadn't heard in a very long time.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

×××

After hearing what Gabrielle thought could only be Xena's battle cry, she ran down the road towards the where the sound had come from.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) No one else makes that noise. The only person who did was Xena. What's going on? 

Gabrielle raced over the small hill and saw a number of men scattered along the road. They had clearly been in a fight. Gabrielle saw that a few had some injuries and knelt down beside the closest one to try and help. 

GABRIELLE 
It's okay I'm here to help.

MAN
Thanks.

Gabrielle began doing what she could to treat the injured. As she did she couldn't help but ask about their attacker. Though she had her suspicions, Gabrielle hoped that she was wrong.

GABRIELLE 
So do you know who it was that attacked you?

MAN
Yeah it was Xena. I thought that people were saying that she was dead. Guess you can't believe everything you hear.

GABRIELLE 
Are you absolutely certain that it was Xena?

MAN 
I know who Xena is. And that woman that attacked us was no doubt her. And here I thought that she had changed for the better. I guess like her death that was a lie too.

GABRIELLE
No Xena's not like that. 

MAN
She attacked us just because we were in her way.

GABRIELLE 
In her way? 

MAN 
She was saying something about continuing her way across Greece to claim what's hers.

GABRIELLE 
What?

MAN
I've heard rumors about the old Xena and how she wanted to claim not just Greece but any land she came across as her own. But to actually see the conquerer in person. Honestly it was terrifying.

Gabrielle didn't want to believe what the man had just said. But based off everything that has been happening and what the man had just said, it was becoming more and more difficult to deny. Xena had come back to life and had returned as her former evil self. 

GABRIELLE 
The Conquerer. 

After hearing what the man said Gabrielle headed in the direction that he told her that Xena had gone.

GABRIELLE 
This makes no sense. Why's this happening? If Xena's back why would she go back to her old ways. She held so much regret for all the horrible things that she did in those days. That was the whole reason why she sacrificed herself in the end. Something must be wrong. I have to find her.

Gabrielle walked until she came to a fork in the road. As she tried to determine which direction she should go, she heard a voice behind her.

EVE 
Looks like we've been heading in a similar direction.

Gabrielle turned around to see Eve along with a number of other followers of Eli.

GABRIELLE 
I guess so.

EVE
We were about to take a break from our travels, would you like to join us?

Gabrielle didn't know exactly where to go next to look for Xena, so she decided a small rest would be a good idea. Plus she figured that she should tell Eve about the high likelihood of her mother actually being alive. After saving a brief hello to the people traveling with Eve, Gabrielle took Eve a small ways from the group so they could talk privately.

EVE
Is everything okay Gabrielle? You look like something's bothering you.

GABRIELLE 
Actually there's something I need to tell you. Come on we should sit down.

EVE 
Um okay?

Gabrielle and Eve sat on a couple large rocks as Gabrielle tried to figure out the best way to tell Eve about Xena.

EVE 
Okay what did you want to talk to me about?

GABRIELLE
It's about Xena.

EVE 
Has something from mother's past come up again?

GABRIELLE 
No it's not that. Well not exactly.

EVE 
I don't understand. 

Gabrielle sighed as she tried to gather her thoughts.

GABRIELLE 
It's kinda difficult to explain. I'm not even sure what's happening myself.

Eve gave Gabrielle a look of concern.

EVE 
Gabrielle what is it?

Not knowing a better way to tell Eve other than being direct, Gabrielle took a breath and told her.

GABRIELLE 
Eve this might sound crazy but your mother isn't dead.

Eve looked at Gabrielle with a mix of shock and confusion on her face.

EVE 
What are you talking about? Mother has been gone for years.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena's alive. Or rather she's come back to life.

Eve sighed, not really sure what to say.

EVE 
Gabrielle.

Gabrielle could tell from the look Eve was giving her and the sound of her voice that she didn't believe her. Which in all honesty Gabrielle couldn't really blame her, but she knew that she had to at least try and convince her.

GABRIELLE 
I know it's hard to believe. I didn't at first either. But people are saying that they've seen her. Things have been happening that can really only be explained by Xena being alive.

EVE 
Gabrielle you should know better than anyone that those things can't be true. After all you were with mother in the end. 

GABRIELLE 
I know that. 

Gabrielle stood up as she anxiously paced back and forth.

GABRIELLE 
Look I know that this makes no sense but trust me when I tell you that Xena is alive.

Eve watched Gabrielle walk back and forth in front of her. She could hear the seriousness in her voice.

EVE
You truly believe that mother's come back from the dead?

GABRIELLE 
I do.

EVE
Why? What happened to make you suddenly think this way?

Gabrielle explained everything about the whole situation. Afterwards she stood in front of a silent Eve, who appeared to be in deep thought.

GABRIELLE 
You see? The story, my dreams, the sightings. They all point to Xena being alive. Which is why we have to find her. Something's gone wrong and she isn't acting like herself. We have to help her.

After Gabrielle finished she stood there waiting for Eve to respond. Finally Eve to a breath as she stood up and took Gabrielle hand.

EVE 
I know these last number of years without mother have been hard for you. You two loved each other so much. I can only hope that I can someday find a love like the one that you and mother shared. But she's gone Gabrielle. I'm sure hearing that story and those rumors have brought up alot of old feelings, but you need to let this go. You know that mother wouldn't want to see you this way.

Gabrielle pulled her hand away as she looked at Eve.

GABRIELLE 
You know that both Xena and myself have come back from the dead before don't you.

EVE
I know but...

GABRIELLE 
But nothing. If it happened before why's it so unbelievable that it could happen again?

EVE
It's been so long. Her body. Gabrielle you carry some of her with you. How could she possibly come back when her body has been long gone. All that's left of her are those ashes.

Something Eve said sparked a thought in Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Ashes. That's it.

EVE
Now what are you talking about?

GABRIELLE 
Xena's alive Eve and I'm going to prove it.

Gabrielle began walking away quickly.

EVE 
Gabrielle wait. Where are you going?

GABRIELLE 
Amphipolis. 

Eve followed behind her.

EVE 
What's in Amphipolis?

GABRIELLE 
Nothing now. And that's why I'm going.

EVE
Okay now you're making even less sense than before. What could you possibly think you're going to find or according to you not find in Amphipolis?

GABRIELLE 
Your mother.

Eve stopped as she watched Gabrielle continue walking. She watched as Gabrielle walked out of sight.

EVE 
Gabrielle I hope someday you find peace with mother's death. I'm afraid I can't help you. Just please don't do anything foolish.

Eve looked up at the sky.

EVE 
Mother I fear that Gabrielle's in trouble. You've always said that the daed can hear our thoughts, so please watch over her. Please help her to get past this and find happiness again. Don't let your death become her undoing.

×××

continued in part 2

Back to the Academy