Pt.3

Xena yawned as she stretched out and opened her eyes to the morning sunlight coming in through the window of the bedroom.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Look who's finally awake.

Xena smiled as she looked at the foot of the bed to see Gabrielle who had her arms folded across her chest and an unhappy look on her face. Xena's smile faded as she sat up.

XENA
Look I know you're upset about me just disappearing last night and I'm really sorry. It was an accident.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) An accident? You go off the check something saying that you'll be right back and just leave me at the party. Then you're just gone for hours with no one knowing where you went. And don't come home until late at night without saying a word.

Xena looked down at the floor like a scolded child as she idly gave the leg of the bed a tap with her foot.

XENA 
 I know you're upset but I don't really know what to say except I'm sorry.

Gabrielle sighed as looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
 You've never just left for that long before without telling me what you were doing. And after the guards saying that they saw something out there I was worried that something might've happened to you Xena.

Xena looked up as she saw the hurt on Gabrielle's face. She walked over and crouched down next to Gabrielle's side of the bed.

XENA 
I'm so sorry Gabrielle, I never meant to worry you like that. 

Xena took Gabrielle's hand in hers feeling terrible about causing Gabrielle to worry about her.

GABRIELLE 
So what happened? Where were you all night?

XENA 
Nothing, guess I just lost track of time is all.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) You lost track of time? All night? Come on Xena you don't seriously exspect me to believe that.

XENA 
No I suppose not.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Xena why did you just lie to me? And a really bad one at that. That's not like you at all. So I'll ask you again where were you last night after you left the party? And please just tell me the truth, what ever it is.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Okay. Well after I left the party, the guards told me around where they had seen signs of our mystery lurker. I didn't see anything but I wanted to make sure just to be safe. So I decided to take a thorough look around. As I was checking things out I got a little tired and decided to sit down for a quick break. I guess I must've accidentally fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew it was morning. As soon as I realized what happened I knew that you would be worried about me and came straight home and saw you asleep.

Gabrielle gave Xena a suspicious look as she pulled her hand from Xena's.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) You fell asleep. That's what you're going with now? You, Xena, warrior princess who can fight an army of soldiers single handedly. Pull off inhuman feats of athleticism with little to no effort. Got tired out from a simple walk and just fell asleep.

XENA 
Yes.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Come on Xena. Stop lying. What did you do last night that you clearly don't want me to know about?

Xena rubbed her forehead as she tried to figure out how to make things right between her and Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle I know that I lied when I said that I lost track of time. That was a dumb thing to do and I apologize. But I'm telling you the truth when I say that I really did just fall asleep.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) If that's all that happened, why did you lie?

XENA 
I don't know. I guess I was just embarrassed that I just feel asleep like that. I didn't wanna say anything about it before because I didn't want to worry you, but I've been feeling a bit more tired and fatigued lately. 

Gabrielle looked in Xena's eyes, seing the sincerely behind them and knew that Xena was telling the truth. Her feelings quickly switched over from one's of annoyance and anger, to love and concern.

GABRIELLE 
Xena I get that you didn't want to worry me, but you can't hide that sort of thing. I love you and if something's wrong you need to tell me. 

XENA 
I know. I'll try not to do it anymore. I'm sorry Gabrielle.

Xena pulled Gabrielle close as they held each other for a moment. After they separated Gabrielle looked closely at Xena and placed her hand on her forehead.

GABRIELLE 
Hmm you don't feel warm.

Xena smiled as she gently pushed Gabrielle's hand away.

XENA 
I'm okay Gabrielle, really. I've probably just been doing too much. Between the sparing sessions, being part of the main hunting group . And all the craziness that's happened around here its probably just wearing me down a little.

Xena chuckled a little.

XENA
Guess I'm not as young as I used to be and this warriors body is starting to slow down a bit.

Gabrielle gave Xena a weary expression.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure Xena? Maybe you should visit the village healers just to make sure.

XENA 
Gabrielle I promise you that everything is okay. I don't wanna waste those women's time just because I'm a little tired. So can you trust me when I say that I'm alright?

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE
Okay Xena, I trust you.

Xena smiled as she gave Gabrielle a reassuring kiss as she stood up. The two went about their day like normal.

GABRIELLE 
This is going even better than I had planned.

Gabrielle sat on a fence looking at a group of women talking, some from the village and some visitors. It was mid morning and a few weeks had passed since the welcome celebration. Gabrielle smiled happily as she felt Xena's presence behind her.

GABRIELLE 
There you are. 

She looked behind her and frowned a little.

GABRIELLE 
You look terrible Xena.

Xena sighed, trying to seem like she was fine as Gabrielle hopped off the fence to get a better look at her. Gabrielle sniffed as she narrowed her eyes in suspicion causing Xena to back away a couple steps.

XENA 
What?

GABRIELLE 
Mint leaves. 

XENA 
Uhh...

GABRIELLE 
You only use those when you wanna freshen you're breath.

XENA 
Yeah so. You're the one kissing me, so if you'd prefer I had foul breath I can stop.

GABRIELLE 
Don't play dumb Xena. We both know you don't just randomly chew mint for my benefit.

Gabrielle placed her hands on her hips and started Xena down.

GABRIELLE 
You were sick again weren't you?

Xena knew that it was pointless to lie and slowly nodded yes.

GABRIELLE 
You know what I'm gonna say now don't you?

XENA 
Gabrielle I really don't think that's necessary. I already told you I probably just ate something bad or caught a minor sickness or something. I'm sure I'll be over it soon.

GABRIELLE 
Xena it's been weeks, I'm pretty sure you'd be better if it were just something minor you'd be over it by now. Even if it' turns out to be nothing, will you just go see the healers? Please... for me?

Xena saw the concern on Gabrielle's face and sighed in defeat.

XENA
Alright Gabrielle if it'll put your mind at ease I'll go.

Gabrielle hugged Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you Xena. Let's go, I'll come with you.

Xena and Gabrielle were about to head to the healers when they heard a commotion. Both rushed to the scene and saw one of the villagers on the ground with a few others around her. They were yelling at Willow, as Cora and Celine tried to calm them down.

GABRIELLE 
Hey. Hey! Calm down everyone!

Everyone in the group stopped yelling as they looked at Gabrielle and Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Now will someone please tell me what's going on.

One of the residents spoke up. Saying that she and Willow were having a friendly sparing match but then Willow took it too seriously and nearly injured her.

GABRIELLE 
Is this true Willow?

WILLOW 
It was an accident I swear. I miss judged the power of my swing. I never meant to try and hurt her.

CELINE 
She's right.

The village amazon scowled as she continued to push the fact. Gabrielle and Xena stepped in and attempted to settle things between both sides. Once things calmed down a bit Gabrielle pulled Xena aside.

GABRIELLE 
I can handle things here now. You can go see the healers.

XENA 
Are you sure? I can wait until we deal with them.

Gabrielle gave Xena a serious look.

GABRIELLE 
You're not getting out of getting checked Xena. You said you'd go.

Not wanting to have Gabrielle mad at her, Xena held up her hands defensively.

XENA 
Okay, okay, I'm going.

Xena continued walking towards the infermery as she heard Gabrielle call to her.

GABRIELLE 
And if I find out that you snuck off somewhere instead of going you'll be in big trouble. And you won't be getting any you know what from me until you can learn to take better care of yourself.

Gabrielle smirked as she heard Xena grumble to herself as she walked out of sight . Knowing that the threat of no sex would motivate her to do what Gabrielle wanted. Her expression then turned seriousl again as she returned her focus to the problem between the Amazon's.

HEALER 
Say ah.

Xena reluctantly complied as the healer continued her examination. She sat there annoyed as she was poked and prodded at. Finally when the healer was finished Xena saw the woman with a very puzzled look out her face.

HEALER 
Hm interesting.

XENA
What?

The healer didn't answer as she looked over her notes of Xena's exam. Xena watched as the healer sighed and shook her head as she talked quietly to herself.

HEALER 
(Talking to herself) Oh dear. This can't be good. I don't know how someone is going to begin to explain this to queen Gabrielle. She's going to be devastated. Certainly no one ever exspected to something like this to happen. Especially not her.

Now Xena was worried. Gabrielle must've been right and something really was wrong. And from the sound of things, it was obviously serious. A million thoughts began to rush through Xena's mind as she tried to guess what might be wrong with her. After what felt like an eternity Xena heard the healer say her name and pulled her from her thoughts.

XENA 
Okay I could hear you talking to yourself, so I already know that somethings up. So just tell me what you found out so we can deal with this.

The healer sighed as she looked at Xena and shook her head.

HEALER 
Well I'm not going to beat around the bush here Xena. I just wanna tell you first that while I don't wanna pry into yours and queen Gabrielle's personal lives, I sincerely think that you should have a serious talk to her after this.

Xena felt a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach as she realized just how serious the situation must've been. She sat there quietly for a moment as she mentally prepared herself for whatever was coming.

XENA 
Okay.

HEALER
Good. Now as for the results of your tests. Xena....

A ways off from the infermery Skyla was walking with Clover as a number of other villagers went about their business. Everyone in the area suddenly jumped as they heard a loud voice echoing from the distance that sent a group of nearby birds flying off in a starttled hurry. 

XENA 
WHAT?!!!

 

Pt.6

Xena scowled at the woman in front of her, unable to believe what she had just been told.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Is this your idea of a joke? Because if it is you have a pretty screwed up sense of humor lady.

HEALER 
But it true.

Xena stood up from her seat as she looked at the healer.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Look I don't know where you learned your medical knowledge but I'm telling you right now that you're wrong.

The healer swallowed hard as she backed away slightly from Xena.

HEALER 
Now Xena I know this might be shocking news...

The Amazon straightened up as she attempted to hide just how scared of Xena she was.

HEALER 
but I'm telling you I know what I'm doing. And you're...

Xena held up her hand to stop the healer from continuing.

XENA 
No, please don't say it again. I heard you just fine the first time.

Xena cringed as tried to process the news she has just been given. There was an awkward silence for a few moments as Xena just sat there before she looked at the healer.

XENA 
And you're absolutely sure?

HEALER 
I have been doing this for quite some time Xena. So yes I'm sure.

Xena didn't say another word as she turned around and stormed out of the infermery. Causing the healer to jump slightly when she slammed the door behind her.

HEALER 
I'm gonna need a new door soon if she keeps doing that.

Outside Xena stormed accross the village square passing by Iris as she walked. Iris noticed the very unhappy look on Xena's face.

IRIS 
Oh Xena everything okay?

XENA 
(Angry tone) Not even a little.

Iris didn't get to continue as Xena just kept walking not even looking at her. Not long after Xena's fist met the trunk of a tree as she stood in a secluded spot within the village.

XENA 
Damn it!

Xena looked down at the backs of her hands that were all bloodied and scrapped up from repeatedly punching the tree trunk. Her mind racing as she tried to process everything.

XENA 
What have I done? What am I gonna do now? I can't... Gabrielle...

Tears began to fall from Xena's eyes.

XENA 
How am I supposed to tell you? What are you gonna think of me? Damn it this can't be real. How can it? I can't actually be... . pregnant.

Xena sunk to the ground and sat up against the tree with her head in her hands.

EPHINY 
That sounds like some pretty shocking news you've just received. But I can imagine it'll be even more shocking for Gabrielle to hear though.

Xena's head shot up to see Ephiny standing next to the tree a few feet in front of her. Xena scowled.

XENA 
(Angry tone) I wasn't aware that you were in the habit of eavesdropping on peoples personal thoughts.

EPHINY
I'm not, but when I overhear them talking to themselves out loud as I'm walking by it's kind of difficult to ignore.

XENA 
So I take it you heard everything then??

EPHINY 
Pretty much.

Xena lowered her head again as she felt a different kind of churning in her stomach that wasn't caused by the apparent morning sickness she'd been having.

XENA 
I don't know what I'm gonna do. How do I tell Gabrielle?

EPHINY 
Seems a little late to be thinking about her now.

Xena looked up at Ephiny once more with an angry look on her face.

XENA
(Angry tone) And just what in Tartarus is that supposed to mean?

EPHINY 
Exactly what it sounded like. You go off, have your fun and don't even think about the wonderful woman you have waiting for you. And now you're forced to deal with the consequences of your actions. You have no one to blame for this but yourself Xena.

Xena stood up as she glared at Ephiny.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You have better watch your mouth Ephiny. You don't know anything.

EPHINY 
Is that so? Then tell me Xena just where did you go off to the night of the welcome party? Because if I recall after you left Gabrielle spent the rest of the evening waiting for you to come back. Which from what I hear wasn't until after she had fallen asleep waiting up for you to come home. The timing seems to fit pretty well between then and making your little discovery today.

XENA 
(Angry tone) I already explained what happened that night to Gabrielle.

EPHINY 
Look Xena you know that Gabrielle's not only my queen, but a very good friend. And I don't want to see her hurt. So you can't really exspect people to believe the whole "I just fell asleep" story

XENA 
(Angry tone) You can believe me or not, but that's what happened.

EPHINY 
Now that I think about it I'm sure you probably did fall asleep, after you were done having your fun with whatever man you had bed you that night.

Hearing those words were the final straw for an already emotional Xena as she grabbed Ephiny by her shirt and slammed her up against the tree Ephiny was leaning against, pinning her there.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You have better tread very carefully with what you say next Ephiny.

EPHINY 
Or what Xena? Are you gonna kill me to keep your little secret?

Xena came to her senses as she realized she had allowed her emotions get the better of her in the moment.

XENA 
No, of course not.

Xena let Ephiny go as she stepped back and Ephiny straightened back up. There was a long moment of silence between them until Ephiny eventually spoke.

EPHINY 
You know you'll have to tell Gabrielle.

XENA 
And just what do you suggest I tell her?

Ephiny shrugged.

EPHINY 
You could start with the truth.

Xena looked away as she fought back the tears that began to blur her vision.

XENA 
I can't. 

EPHINY 
Why not?

XENA 
I just... can't.

Gabrielle stood in front of the group of Amazons as she tried to sort out the situation before her.

GABRIELLE 
Okay I'm aware that everyone is still getting used to having new people around. But I'm sure we can all get along here if we just talk things out.

The villager that was sparing with Willow spoke up, saying that she wasn't convinced that Willows actions weren't intentional.

WILLOW 
It was so an accident.

CORA 
It's true. Sometimes Willow can get a little too invested in what she's doing. But she means well honest.

GABRIELLE 
I can suppose that's understandable. But you should really be more careful.

WILLOW 
You're right. I'll work on that. Sorry. 

Gabrielle smiled as Willow also apologized to the villager. Then Gabrielle turned to the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
Are we all good now?

The villager reluctantly accepted Willow's apology as the rest of the villagers there began to disburse. Satisfied that the situation had been resolved Gabrielle began to walk off.

CELINE 
Oh Gabrielle?

Gabrielle stopped and turned to Celine.

GABRIELLE 
Yes?

CELINE
I just wanted to thank you for helping Willow like that.

GABRIELLE 
There's really no need to thank me. I just want everyone here to get along.

CELINE 
Still that was very kind of you. Even if the people here don't really care much for us.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
The people here have been through alot in a relatively short time. So don't worry too much about it. They just need some more time to adjust and get used to you being here. You'll see.

CELINE 
Thanks Gabrielle. I know we might've only met a short time ago but I have a feeling that this is the beginning of something wonderful. 

GABRIELLE 
That's what I'm hoping for.

CELINE 
Not to mention the fact that things around here certainly seem pretty interesting.

GABRIELLE 
Celine, you have no idea.

 

Pt.7

Ephiny stood looking at the visibly distraught Xena as she tried to figure out why Xena felt like she couldn't tell her the truth of how she had gotten pregnant. She sat down across from Xena who sat back down against the tree, not really sure of what to do. She had never seen Xena in this kind of emotional state. As she sat there, Ephiny began to wonder if Xena was upset about something more than Gabrielle finding out.

EPHINY 
Xena. I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions. But are you absolutely certain that you were with someone other than Gabrielle. Not even necessarily the night of the party.

Xena dried her eyes as the tears she'd been crying slowly stopped.

XENA 
Ephiny I swear with everything I have that I was not unfaithful to Gabrielle. I would never do something like that to her. She's everything to me.

Ephiny sighed as she tried to think. Xena was her friend. And if Ephiny was being honest, being unfaithful really didn't seem like something Xena would do. At least not this Xena. The Xena she knew. While Ephiny had no doubt that in Xena's warlord and conquerer days, the meaning of monogamy and loyalty held no relevance to her. When it came to Xena now Ephiny just couldn't actually picture her doing such a thing. Especially if she knew it would hurt anyone. Even more so since she knew it would hurt Gabrielle. That was when Ephiny frowned as she thought of something she hadn't even considered. Which caused her to feel far, far worse for accusing Xena of sneaking around behind Gabrielle's back. Ephiny crouched down in front of Xena who was just sitting there trying to calm herself down.

EPHINY 
Okay I believe you. But then...

Ephiny took a breath knowing that what she was going to ask by no means was going to be a pleasant subject to discuss. Especially if her new suspicion was correct. Which she sincerely hoped wasn't.

EPHINY 
Xena, were you...

Ephiny paused, not quite sure how to approach such a sensitive subject matter. The usually perseptive Xena was to emotionally drained to catch on to what Ephiny was trying to say.

XENA 
Ephiny if you have something else to say just say it.

Ephiny sighed.

EPHINY 
Xena were you attacked? You know... forced.

Xena looked at her a little surprised by the question.

XENA 
What? No.

Then Xena was silent as she thought for a moment. Xena's quick denial and then silence caused further concern for Ephiny.

EPHINY 
Are you sure Xena? Because you know that you have nothing to be ashamed of if you were. I mean you were drinking the night of the party. So isn't it possible that you just don't remember.

XENA 
Nothing happened. I remember that night clearly Ephiny. Besides even if I didn't, there would've been evidence after the fact.

EPHINY 
So you're certain that you're being pregnant isn't the result of an attack?

Xena looked up at the sky as she tried to sort out how she could've gotten here. Nothing seemed to make sense at the moment.

XENA 
Honestly other than leaving the party and sitting down to take a break, I really don't remember anything until after I woke up. So I guess I can't say for certain exactly what happened. That being said I suppose it's technically possible.

There was a long silence 

EPHINY 
So what now?

XENA 
I don't know. 

EPHINY 
Are you gonna tell Gabrielle?

XENA
Tell her what?  
(Sarcasm) Surprise I'm pregnant! Oh but don't worry I don't remember how it happened? Yeah I'm sure that'll go over real well.

EPHINY 
Godd point. But don't you think she'll eventually notice once you get further along?

Xena took a deep breath as she sat there trying to figure out where she was supposed to go from there.

XENA 
I'll just have to get the answers for how this happened before then.

EPHINY 
How?

Xena stood up as she began walking away.

XENA 
I have no idea.

The mess hall was full as Gabrielle and Xena sat down at their normal table with their friends. Gabrielle sighed as she looked around taking a bite of her breakfast.

GABRIELLE 
You know I did not think that this would be such a challenge.

CLOVER 
What "were" you expecting? We get a bunch of new people that we know nothing about walking around here. And you know that people here aren't exactly trusting after what happened with Valassca.

GABRIELLE 
True. But don't forget the rest of the women who were apart of that mess were from here.

CLOVER 
I know that. I'm just telling you how alot of the others see it.

GABRIELLE 
Well that means I'll just have to try harder to get this to work.

AMARICE 
Ah Gabrielle, always the enthusiast.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) I do try.

The group at the table laughed as they continued talking. It had been several weeks since the incident between Willow and a villager. As well as when Xena had notified of her pregnancy. Which other then Ephiny, Xena hadn't spoken a word of to anyone. Especially Gabrielle. Who as far as Xena told her, Xena had a stomach bug which she got over. Now Xena had resorted to hiding her morning sickness from her when it would hit. She felt terrible for keeping such a big secret from Gabrielle. But what else could Xena do? If she told her, obviously Gabrielle would have questions. Very valid ones at that. And Gabrielle deserved answers to those questions. But unfortunately those answers were something that Xena just simply wasn't any closer to having. And she really didn't know of where to look. Which honestly made the whole situation even worse.

GABRIELLE 
Well?

XENA
Huh?

Xena was pulled from her thoughts back to the conversation at the table.

GABRIELLE 
What do you think we should do to improve things between everyone?

Xena though for a moment before coming up with something.

XENA 
Oh uh. Maybe try something that would require teamwork. A common goal can really bring people together.

GABRIELLE 
Yes. That's a great idea. Finding something for people to work together on.

Gabrielle went into her own thoughts for a few moments as she searched for something that could do just that. Until finally coming up with an idea.

GABRIELLE 
I got it.

AMARICE 
What?

GABRIELLE 
We should get a hunting party together.

EPHINY
I get it. The best way to effectively hunt larger game is in small groups.

GABRIELLE 
And that takes communication and team work to do it effectively. Which sense Willow, Cora and Celine's trbe focuses mainly on that for their livelihoods it should also be an excellent opportunity for the others to see them at work with something they're more comfortable with. Which will make it easier for everyone to open up and let their guards down a little. Yes I think that this is going to be just what we needed to get things moving in the right direction. Now I just have to get everything together for it.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You'll help too won't you Xena?

Xena put on her best fake smile as tried to keep down what she had managed to eat.

XENA 
Of course. I can't wait.

As Gabrielle carried on talking it the others at the table, Xena grabbed her plate as she quickly tossed the rest of her very unappetizing meal over her shoulder and sat the plate back down before smiling at Gabrielle who looked her way for a moment as she kept talking. As both Xena and Gabrielle thought very different thoughts about the trip. And for drastically different reasons.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I have a great feeling about this.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I have a horrible feeling about this.

 

Pt.8

GABRIELLE 
We got everything we need?

AMARICE 
Looks like it.

Gabrielle looked at the horses that had been loaded up with the supplies that she, Xena and the rest of their group would need for their hunting trip. She turned to those selected for the outing.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, everyone ready to head out?

The group gave a quick cheer to show their readiness.

GABRIELLE 
Great, let's get going.

Everyone got on their horses as Gabrielle walked and got a hand up into her usual spot in Argo's sattle behind Xena. And with a quick command from Xena, the mare got moving as the rest of the group followed out of the village.

GABRIELLE 
You know where we're going right?

XENA 
I remember.

The group traveled for a good while until they came to a clearing where they stopped to make camp.

GABRIELLE
Okay why don't we each pick a job and that'll get camp set up much faster.

Everyone agreed and in no time the camp ready. As it got dark the campfire got going, dinner was made and everyone ate. Afterwards Gabrielle regaled the rest of the group with one of her exciting stories.

CELINE 
I didn't know you told stories Gabrielle.

Gabrielle smiled as she sat down with everyone else around the fire.

GABRIELLE 
Well aside from being an Amazon I'm actually a bard too.

CELINE 
Oh that's really interesting. You must know all sorts of stories then.

GABRIELLE 
A good amount. 

FAUNA 
She also tells her own stories as well.

AMARICE 
(Teasing tone) Yeah and there mostly all about Xena.

WILLOW 
Oo I'd love to hear one of those. Are you in them too?

AMARICE
(Teasing/ Joking tone) Oh I don't think Gabrielle's gonna tell us one of "those" stories.

Gabrielle's cheeks turned slightly pink with embarrassment at Amarice's implication.

GABRIELLE 
Amarice! I do not write those kinds of stories.

AMARICE 
(Joking/ Teasing tone) Okay Gabrielle. I believe you.

GABRIELLE 
I don't. Tell 'em Xena.

Xena didn't say anything as she was to distracted with her own thoughts. Gabrielle called her name again and nudged her getting Xena to finally look up from sharpening her sword, having clearly not been paying attention to the conversation.

XENA 
What?

AMARICE 
(Joking/ Teasing tone) Gabrielle doesn't wanna tell us any of her naughty stories about the two of you.

GABRIELLE 
I told you I don't write those kinds of stories.

Xena smirked.

XENA
It's true, she doesn't. As much as there is that she could write about.

GABRIELLE 
(Stern tone) Xena.

Gabrielle shot Xena a very disappointing look as Xena simply gave a questioning shrug. Causing the rest of the group to laugh at the exchange. Afterwards Gabrielle did end up telling a story. One which she insisted on being appropriate for all ages. A little later after some more chatting everyone decided to head to bed. Gabrielle got settled into the blankets she had spread out for her and Xena a ways off from the others behind some bushes. She layed there as Xena came over from checking to make sure everything was safe as she usually did when they were on the road. Convinced that everything was good, Xena got into the blankets next to Gabrielle and got comfortable. After a bit Gabrielle started to feel her desire for Xena hit her. She snuggled closer to Xena as she began running her hand over Xena's body. Xena smiled to herself for a moment as she felt Gabrielle's hand on her. Then reality set in as the feelings of panic of Gabrielle discovering her pregnancy took over. True she was still too early for anyone to notice by looking, but for some reason the thought of being with Gabrielle while she was hiding being pregnant felt like a whole other type of betrayal. So as Gabrielle's hand crept lower it was stopped when Xena gently pushed it away as she turned away from her. Afterwards Gabrielle layed there for a moment before sitting up.

GABRIELLE 
Xena is there something bothering you?

Xena layed there as she looked back at Gabrielle over her shoulder.

XENA 
No why?

GABRIELLE 
It's just that it's been awhile since we've made love. And that's not really like us. 

XENA 
You don't seriously wanna do that when there's other people just over there do you?

GABRIELLE 
That's never really stopped you before. 

Gabrielle was right. Xena had never exactly been shy when it came to sex. Not that she'd be fine doing it right out in public or anything. But there had been plenty of times over the years when she would find a way to get her desires met while there were other people around. Xena thought for a moment as she tried to figure how to get out of this conversation.

XENA 
(Lying) I'm just, tired tonight Gabrielle. That's all.

There was silence as Xena turned away again and tried to go to sleep. Gabrielle sat there for a few moments as she wondered if she should bring up something that had been bothering her. Finally she spoke.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

XENA 
Yeah?

GABRIELLE 
Is there something wrong... with me?

Xena looked back at Gabrielle again.

XENA 
What do you mean?

GABRIELLE 
It's just that, well like I said before it's been awhile since we've been together. It seems like lately everytime I want to you're either tired or just not in the mood. And on top of that, you've been kind of distant lately too.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Xena sat up. She'd been so wrapped up in dealing with her unexpected pregnancy that she hadn't even realized that Gabrielle had been feeling neglected. And in more ways than one. Xena rolled over to face Gabrielle.

XENA 
I'm sorry. It's nothing that you've done wrong. It's me.

She reached over and softly brushed Gabrielle's hair away from her face.

XENA
I love you more than anything. Your everything that's good in my life. If you want me to love you tonight I will. And any other time you want.

Xena slowly moved her hand down Gabrielle's neck towards her chest. Gabrielle moaned softly as Xena began running her hand over her body. As Xena continued, Gabrielle began letting her hands roam over Xena's, only to have Xena catch her wrists and stop her. Xena began kissing along Gabrielle's neck and again stopped Gabrielle from touching her when she tried. This happened a few more times as Xena continued, leaving Gabrielle frustrated while Xena continued.

GABRIELLE 
Xena. Xena wait a minute.

Xena took her lips from Gabrielle's body as she looked at her.

XENA 
What's wrong?

GABRIELLE 
What are you doing?

XENA 
Isn't this what you wanted?

GABRIELLE 
I want to make love.

XENA 
That's what we're doing.

GABRIELLE 
No we're not. You're willing to give me love, but then you refuse to let me touch you.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Xena sat there, unsure of what to say.

GABRIELLE 
I just wanna know why. You said that it wasn't me, that there's clearly something going on with you. Xena are you not attracted to me like that anymore?

XENA 
What? Of course I am. I think you're beautiful both inside and out.

GABRIELLE 
Well what is it then Xena? You haven't been yourself lately.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) What there has to be something wrong with me just because I don't want sex?

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) Don't play dumb Xena you know that's not what I'm talking about.

Obviously Xena knew that but she couldn't tell Gabrielle that. She needed to get out of this conversation. 

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Oh what that I'm being "quiet and withdrawn"? Gabrielle if you haven't noticed I get that way when I'm thinking about my past.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) Are you though? Because it seems like you've got alot more on your mind lately.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I wasn't aware that you could read minds. So since you seem to have this new power, you should already know what I'm thinking then.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) How would I know, you won't talk to me? Like that's anything new though.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Then what are you getting so upset for? You should be used to it.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I shouldn't have to be.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I don't know what to tell you then.

Gabrielle stood up and grabbed her blanket.

GABRIELLE 
That's the thing Xena, you do. You just won't. 

 Gabrielle didn't say another word as stormed off and found a spot among the others to lay down. Meanwhile.Xena sat there in silence, unsure of what she could possibly say to make this better. Knowing that Gabrielle wouldn't want to hear any sort of apology at the moment, Xena decided it would be best to just let her sleep it off. Hoping that once morning came she'd have cooled down. Not that Xena could blame her for being upset. Eventually Xena layed down and tried to get some sleep. Which was always much more difficult without Gabrielle beside her.

WILLOW 
Mmm,, this is pretty good. So you're a queen, a bard and a cook. Is there anything you can't do?

Gabrielle smiled as everyone ate their early morning breakfast.

GABRIELLE 
It's not a big deal. But I'm glad you like it.

Xena picked at her food as she looked at Gabrielle. Her thoughts still on their fight from the night before. She hated making Gabrielle so upset and wanted nothing more than to make it up to her. After thinking for a while, Xena got up from the rock she'd been sitting on and snuck away. Not long after she came back as everyone was beginning to pack up camp. She spotted Gabrielle putting her rolled up blanket with the rest of their supplies and walked over.

XENA 
Here I'll get that.

Xena picked up their packs, brought them over to Argo and hooked them in their usual spot on the saddle. Gabrielle didn't say anything as she picked up her staff and walked over as Xena finished and turned around.

XENA 
Oh here I found these earlier.

Xena took out a handful of flowers that she had spotted. She knew that they were Gabrielle's favorite and thought they might help smooth things over between them a little. Gabrielle looked at the plants and didn't even smile as she took them.

GABRIELLE 
(Flat tone) Oh thanks.

Xena sighed knowing that Gabrielle was clearly still mad at her. So Xena decided not to push it and changed the subject.

XENA 
Uh, so you think we'll have any luck and get some good deer today?

Gabrielle just shrugged as she looked at the other's, seeing that everyone was just about ready to go. Xena sighed and turned and got up on Argo's back as Amarice rode over on her own horse.

AMARICE 
Looks like everyone's ready to move out.

GABRIELLE
Great let's get going. 

Xena held out her hand for Gabrielle to grab like she always did to help Gabrielle into the saddle. Gabrielle didn't even acknowledge her as she looked at Amarice.

GABRIELLE 
Hey Amarice you mind if I ride with you today?

Amarice looked at Gabrielle for a moment. Then to Xena who just looked away.

AMARICE 
Um sure? I guess.

Dispite how odd it was for Gabrielle to want to ride with anyone but Xena, Amarice figured it was probably better not to ask why she didn't want to. So as Gabrielle got comfortable, Amarice glanced at Xena who just got Argo going. Everyone rode out until they found a good spot to start going on foot. After walking for some time, Xena stopped the group when she spotted fresh animal tracks.

XENA 
Okay we'll split up here into two groups and circle around in opposite directions. Afterwards we'll meet up back here when we're done.

Everyone agreed and the group split into two small teams. Xena, Amarice, Willow and Iris were in one group. Leaving Cora, Celine, Fauna and Gabrielle in the other. While Xena had wanted Gabrielle in her group, Gabrielle purposely placed herself with the group Xena wasn't in. Not that Xena was very surprised. But she'd be lying if she said that it still didn't sting to have Gabrielle go this far to ignore her.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I knew I had a bad feeling about this trip.

Once everyone was ready, the two parties split up and made their way deeper into the wilderness. Xena kept her senses on alert as her group tracked their prey. She made sure not to take the lead like she normally would, because it would be better for the rest of her team to do so in order for them to build communication. Which she might've found ironic due to her own situation if she wasn't too wrapped up in her own thoughts.

WILLOW 
(Whisper) Got one! I'm moving closer.

The energetic and free spirited amazon quickly and quietly moved ahead of Xena, Iris and Amarice as she readied her bow.

XENA 
(Whisper) No Willow get back here.

Xena made an annoyed groan as she motioned to the others to keep quiet and follow her and chased after Willow. Xena followed Willow's footprints once the Amazon had disappeared from sight. She and the others crept through the bushes and other plant life as Xena tried to figure out where Willow was going. But before she had time to do so, her heart skipped a beat when she and the others heard a scream. Wasting no time Xena sprung up from the crouching position she'd been in and took off running towards where the cry had come from. With Amarice and Iris not for behind. Xena's heart raced quicker when she heard Gabrielle's voice as she got closer.

GABRIELLE 
No!

Xena ran as fast as she could. Until she burst through some bushes and stopped when she saw a terrible sight.

XENA 
What happened?!

Xena stood there seeing Willow laying on the ground with an arrow sticking out of her midsection.

CELINE 
Willow!

And just like that the trip had suddenly taken a far worse turn than any of the group could've expected.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy