GABRIELLE 
Stop it!

Her voice carried over the ruckus crowd that surrounded her. Tobias stopped when he heard Gabrielle.

TOBIAS 
What do you care what I do with my slave?

Gabrielle was quick to come up with a lie.

GABRIELLE
(Lying) You're making a scene and ruining the party for everyone else.

A good number of people in the crowd mumbled in agreement. Tobias sneered as he walked over and roughly pulled Xena to her feet.

TOBIAS 
Fine. You can just go stand quietly in a corner until we leave.

He held Xena by the arm as he brought her to where he wanted her. He then used his whip ti tie Xena's hands together and tied her to a pillar. 

TOBIAS
You can just stay here for the rest of the night until we leave.

Tobias roughly grabbed Xena's face making sure she looked at him.

TOBIAS 
But I warned you not to embrace me. So now when we get back I'll show you just what happens when stupid slave girls think they can make a fool of me and get away with it. I'm going to make you wish that I had simply just killed you. You have no idea just how big of a mistake you just made.

Tobias instructed that no one was to go over the Xena and should just ignore her and enjoy the party. Gabrielle tried to sneak over a couple times but couldn't get close enough without getting caught. Xena just nodded for her to carry on with the plan. So reluctantly that's what Gabrielle did. A bit later Tobias decided it was time to leave. So after retreaving Xena, he lead her out to the cart with Gabrielle following. Gabrielle got in the front and waited for Xena to get in back and Tobias to sit next to her like they had on the way there. But after a moment she realized that Tobias was doing something in the back. She looked back and saw him tying the end of a rope to the cart and once he was done and moved out of her way, Gabrielle saw that the other end was tied around both of Xena's wrists as she stood behind the cart. Then he claimed in front and got the cart moving.

GABRIELLE 
What are you doing?

TOBIAS 
Teaching that disobedience is not something that I tolerate. Then once we get back she's going to be punished.

Gabrielle looked back at Xena who was jogging quickly behind the cart as it went along.

GABRIELLE 
Isn't this a punishment?

TOBIAS 
No this is just a little exorcize. She'll get her actual punishment once we get back.

Gabrielle looked back at Xena who continued to keep up with the cart. She knew that dispite Xena's physical condition it was still a good way for her to run at this speed. Not to mention what Tobias had in mind for her once they got back. Xena smiled at Gabrielle implying that she was okay. The ride back was awkwardly silent. Only the sounds of the horse, the cart, nature and Xena running behind them could be heard all the way back to the compound. Finally they made it back and as Tobias stopped the cart Xena grabbed on to the back as she stood there catching her breath. Gabrielle looked back at her as she claimed out of her seat. She could tell that Xena was exhausted. Tobias walked back to Xena and untied the rope from the cart.

TOBIAS 
Did you have a good run?

Xena nodded as she continued to catch her breath. Tobias angerly grabbed Xena by the throat.

TOBIAS 
I asked you a damn question bitch. Now answer me right.

Xena's airway wasn't being cut off so she took in enough air to speak.

XENA 
Yes Master Tobias.

TOBIAS 
Much better.

He shoved Xena back and motioned for some guards to come over and take her. They did just that as they dragged Xena inside.

GABRIELLE 
What exactly are you going to do to her?

Tobias gave Gabrielle a suspicious look.

TOBIAS 
You know you seem awfully interested in that woman that appears to go beyond simply wanting her as your own. Now why may I ask is that Nexa?

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) Well you did bring me on to train her for the arena. I feel like since I'm investing my time into her why wouldn't I be interested in what happens to her? 

TOBIAS 
I suppose I can see your point.

Gabrielle was beginning to wonder if her cover had been blown.

TOBIAS 
Well then since you're so invested in her you can join me in watching her receive her punishment.

Tobias lead Gabrielle inside. Gabrielle was now even more concerned about what Xena was about to be put through. And with Tobias seemingly growing suspicious of Gabrielle what would happen to her if she was found out to actually not be a slaver. Little did Gabrielle or Xena know but things were about to escalate for both of them very soon.

×××

Chains rattled as Xena walked through the halls. Her hands and feet shackled. A number of armed guards escorted her as Tobias and Gabrielle walked behind them. Gabrielle remained silent as she tried to figure out what to do. Xena had already implied for her to not break her cover. But Gabrielle couldn't help but think of just how bad this whole situation had gotten since the beginning. Maybe she shouldn't have listened to Xena and not gone along with this plan. Especially since it seemed like everything that could have gone wrong had. She wondered what Xena might've had planned to get out of this. At least she hoped Xena had a plan. Unfortunately unknown to her at the moment Xena did not.

TOBIAS 
Here we are.

Tobias stopped the group in front of two large doors that were a few feet from each other. Gabrielle watched as the guards took Xena in one. She was about to follow when Tobias shut that door and opened the other one.

TOBIAS 
Actually Nexa we're going in here.

Tobias held the door open as he waited for Gabrielle to go inside. Gabrielle wearily looked at the other door.

TOBIAS 
Don't worry we'll be able to see and hear everything perfectly fine from in here. Now come on.
(Intimidating tone) Unless there's a problem?

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) No of course not.

Gabrielle walked over to Tobias and they both entered the room. Once inside Gabrielle saw that it was actually one large room with metal bars running across the middle. Almost like a prison but it had a door on both sides of the bars. Gabrielle watched through the bars as the chains on Xena's wrists were attached to a wooden table like beam that sat in the center of the cell. Having an idea of where this was going Xena began to fight against the guards as they hooked her to the beam. But it was too late, she was trapped. Xena tried to pull free but the metal and wood wouldn't give. Gabrielle really didn't like where she saw this going.

GABRIELLE 
What are you gonna do?

TOBIAS 
Technically I'm not going to do anything. They are.

Tobias chuckled as he looked past the bars at the guards standing near Xena. He then nodded for them to begin. With that one of the guards tore open the back of Xena's dress exposing her bare flesh. As he did that the other guard walked over to the far wall Gabrielle saw a various number of weapons and other instruments of torture hanging there. She watched as the guard took a couple of whips down and walked back towards the other guard, handing him one of the items. Gabrielle knew that she needed to stop this.

GABRIELLE 
Don't you think this is too harsh?

TOBIAS
This slave clearly does not know her place. But she will soon enough.

Gabrielle tried to quickly think of something that could stop what was about to happen.

GABRIELLE 
You know that by doing this she won't be able to compete in the arena for some time.

TOBIAS 
Irrelevant. I can't allow my slaves to act the way she did today. See embarrassed me and that will not go unpunished.

GABRIELLE 
But don't you think that this is a bit extreme?

TOBIAS 
You know Nexa I find your interest in this particular slave quite percular. It seems to go beyond you just being her trainer. Now why is that?

Gabrielle looked back at Xena who gave her a look for her to still remain quiet about who they really were. Again Gabrielle followed what Xena wanted and ignored the horrible feeling that was coming over her.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) She just reminds me of someone I'm very close to.

TOBIAS 
I see then perhaps you would prefer to leave before we begin.

Gabrielle looked at Xena. As much as she didn't want to see what was going to happen, she couldn't just leave Xena to go through this alone.

GABRIELLE 
No if it's okay I think I'll stay.

TOBIAS 
Suit yourself.

Both Xena and Gabrielle shared a look that was a mix of sadness, fear and love as Tobias gave the signal for Xena's "punishment" to begin. Gabrielle watched as the guards raised their weapons and then one them swung his arm downward as the whip uncoiled and struck Xena's back. Gabrielle involuntarily jumped at the cracking of the whip. Xena yelled in pain as she felt it hit. Then seconds later she yelled again as the second whip struck. Gabrielle watched from behind the barrier as Xena was struck again and again and again. She saw as the flesh on Xena's back became marked and torn open. Not a word was spoken as the only sounds to fill the room was the sounds of the cracking whips and Xena's yells. Tears began to fill Gabrielle's eyes as she watched the horrible sight. Finally she was nearing her breaking point.

GABRIELLE 
Okay you can stop now. I think she's had enough.

TOBIAS
I'll be the one to determine when she's had enough.

Xena's torture continued for a bit longer. Until finally Gabrielle couldn't take it anymore. Her heart broke with every hit, every painful scream. She hated herself for letting this go one that long or even allowing it to happen at all. She didn't care about blowing their cover anymore. Because at that moment all Gabrielle cared was making this stop. She refused to allow them to harm Xena any further. She turned to Tobias and gave him a fierce look.

GABRIELLE 
That's enough stop this now!

TOBIAS 
No.

Gabrielle didn't say another word as she left the room and went next door. She burst in the door, ran over and grabbed the end of one of the whips as the guard pulled back to strike again. She ripped it out of his grasp and tossed it aside. The second guard was already pulling back for another hit. Gabrielle didn't have time to do the same thing to him as he began the forward swing. So she did the only thing that she could think to do to protect Xena. As the whip came down Gabrielle got behind Xena and covered her with her own body. She cried out as she felt the end of the weapon rake down her back. Both guards stopped, wondering what was going on as Tobias stormed into the room. He stood there a for a moment as he watched Gabrielle straighten herself back up and move around so she could look Xena in the eye. She began undoing Xena's wrists restraints.

XENA 
What are you doing?

Gabrielle could feel tears running down her face as she gently touched Xena's face.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry but I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't just stand by and let them torture you like this. I should've stepped in sooner. I'm so sorry.

Xena smiled a little.

XENA 
Don't be sorry.

TOBIAS 
Oh but she will be.

Gabrielle turned around to see Tobias standing behind her.

TOBIAS 
What the fuck do you think you're doing?!

GABRIELLE 
I won't let you hurt her anymore.

TOBIAS 
You won't let me? What makes you think that you're in any position to do anything to stop me?

Gabrielle stared him down.

GABRIELLE 
Trust me you're not the first person to over look me and I'm sure you won't be the last. And that's just fine with me.

TOBIAS 
I've had this sneaking suspicion for a bit now, but you're not really a slaver are you girl?

Gabrielle pulled out her sais and held them ready.

GABRIELLE 
You're damn right I'm not. Now let her go.

TOBIAS 
Make me.

GABRIELLE 
Trust me I plan on it.

Tobias ordered his guards to attack. Gabrielle began fighting off the men that came at her. Xena, being chained and beaten was unable to do anything. Gabrielle wasn't able to undo her restraints before she was stopped. So all Xena could do was watch as Gabrielle fought off their attackers. Gabrielle continued to fight until she was hit from behind and knocked down. Then the guards began to beat her while she was down. Xena pulled against her restraints as she tried to get free to help Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Tobias heard Xena's yell and motioned for his guards to stop the beating and pick her up. Two guards grabbed Gabrielle off the ground and held her up on her knees to look at Tobias as he stood over her.

TOBIAS 
Gabrielle huh. So that's your actual name. I see.

Tobias turned to Xena.

TOBIAS 
Now how is it that you would know that Gabriella? Unless you knew her before you came here. Yes that would explain why she seemed to be drawn to you now wouldn't it? 

He walked over to Xena and grabbed her hair forcing her to look him in the eyes.

TOBIAS 
Which begs the question of your true identity as well. And why you both are really here. So tell me "Gabriella" who are you really?

XENA 
That's for me to know and you to find out.

TOBIAS 
We'll see about that.

Tobias let Xena go and snapped his fingers. With that one of the guards picked up the whip and began striking Xena again. Xena cried out in pain as she felt more of her skin being ripped open with each strike. Meanwhile dispite being beaten Gabrielle struggled to get free as she watched the resumed torture. Xena's cries echoed through the area.

GABRIELLE 
No, Stop!

Gabrielle looked on in horror as Xena was struck over and over and over again. Finally Gabrielle couldn't let Xena continue to be tortured like this. Their cover was already blown, so keeping Xena's identity hidden didn't no longer mattered now anyway.

GABRIELLE 
It's Xena. Her name's Xena. Now just stop. Please.

Tobias gave the signal to stop as he looked at Xena. He began to search his memory for where he had heard that name before.

TOBIAS 
Xena. Xena. 

Then it hit him.

TOBIAS 
Wait a minute, Xena as in the warrior princess?

Xena glared up at him. Realizing that there was no point in concieling her true identity any longer.

XENA 
Yes.

Tobias sneered at her as his face turned red in anger. He smacked Xena across the face.

TOBIAS 
How dare you make a mockery of me. Why are you even here?

Xena stared at Tobias unintimidated.

XENA 
To stop this little operation of yours. I'm going to burn your whole slave empire to the ground. And take you down with it.

TOBIAS 
That's awfully big talk from someone in your position. But no matter. You'll ne dead soon enough.

Tobias looked at Gabrielle.

TOBIAS 
Both of you.

GABRIELLE 
So let me guess now you're gonna torture us both.

TOBIAS 
Not a bad idea.

Tobias was about to give the signal for the guards to resume beating Xena and begin doing the same to Gabrielle. But then he thought of something as an evil smile crossed his face.

TOBIAS 
Actually on second thought I just got a better idea.

He looked at the weakened Xena, then to Gabrielle who was being held captive.

TOBIAS 
I think it's time for Xena to have one more match in my arena. And you Nexa or Gabrielle or whatever your name is I don't really care. You will be having your first match. So I suggest you prepare because trust me when I tell you that for both of you this match will be your last.

Tobias turned away, telling his guards to bring both Xena and Gabrielle to the arena.

TOBIAS 
See you both out there as you fight a hopeless battle against all of my best fighters. I look forward to seeing just how far you can make it. Perhaps I'll take wagers from people to bet on how long you two can survive running my gauntlet. 

Tobias left as Xena and Gabrielle were taken too the arena. Where he planned for both of them to fight opponent after opponent until they died.

×××

Armed guards escorted Xena and Gabrielle towards the arena area. Stopping to allow Xena to put on her armor. Tobias had told them that it would add to the show if Xena looked like she could defend herself. After Xena was in her arena armor the guards took her to the arena and left her at the entrance. Meanwhile Gabrielle was being held captive near Tobias. He sat in his usual seat as Gabrielle was shackled to the floor by a chain that was attached to the cuffs around both of her wrist that were bound together. The chain wasn't very long so Gabrielle couldn't really go anywhere. It had just enough length to allow her to stand and move her arms slightly. Still she tried to pull on it in an effort to escape. Tobias laughed as he looked over at Gabrielle.

TOBIAS 
Don't worry you'll get your turn soon enough.

GABRIELLE 
You bastard if you think Xena's gonna go down this easily you really don't know who you're dealing with.

TOBIAS 
Is that so? Well let me tell you something I know plenty about Xena. How she used to be one of the most feared warlords around. How her quest to conquer took her far and wide. That is until she grew a conscious and decided to run around Greece playing hero. Apparently with you. Who are you to her anyway? Her servant or sex slave or something?

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself annoyed) If I had a denar for every person who thought that at first. 
 (Annoyed tone) I'm not even dignifying that with a response.

TOBIAS 
Fine with me. She'll be dead soon anyway.

GABRIELLE 
You're wrong. Xena's faced worse than you and your goons. She'll beat your men and then you'll finally get what you deserve.

Tobias gave her a cocky smile.

TOBIAS 
Oh please with the condition she's currently in, there's no way that even the all mighty Xena can survive what's in store for her.

The announcer called Xena out and she was shoved forward to get her moving. She slowly walked out into the arena. Still in chains. Her body hurt from the torture she had just endured. But Xena held her head high not wanting to give Tobias the satisfaction of seeing her pain. She saw where Tobias was sitting and spotted Gabrielle in shackles next to him. She gave Gabrielle a little smile as she tried to convince her that it was gonna be okay. Although Xena wasn't sure how just yet. But one thing was certain and that was that Xena was determined to do what she did best. And that was fight. Fight for herself, for Gabrielle, to free all the slaves being held there. And finally to stop this group of slavers and take Tobias down once and for all. Xena stood in the arena as she waited for her first opponent. Tobias rose from his seat to address the audience.

TOBIAS 
Today we have a very special event for your viewing pleasure. The woman in the arena before you is one of the finest warriors of our time. While a number of you I'm sure have heard of her, for those who don't know who she is please allow me to introduce our latest runner of our thus far unbeatable gauntlet. The one and only, Xena, the warrior princess.

The crowd roared in a mix of cheers and boos at Xena's introduction. Tobias stood there smiling as he waited for the crowd to settle down enough to hear him speak. Once they did he continued.

TOBIAS 
Now I'm sure that some of you have seen some of her work, or at the very least heard of it. I'm sure I don't have to tell you just how fortunate are we all to be able to witness the fall of this renowned woman. So without further adew please sit back and watch what will possibly be one of the greatest shows you will ever see. The death of Xena.

The crowd cheered as Tobias sat back down and gave the signal for the match to begin. Xena stood weaponless and injured as her first opponents entered the arena. It was two men. One with a sword and the other wielding a bow, with a quiver full of arrows on his back. Both were lightly armored. Xena watched both of them as she assessed her best option for beating them.

XENA 
Okay let's get this show on the road.

The sword user charged for Xena as the bowman readied a shot. The sword user prepared to strike. Xena grabbed the swordsman's arm as he swung towards her, stopping the hit. Then she saw the bowman fire out of the corner of her eye. The arrow flew towards her. Xena waited for just the right moment then quickly reached up and caught the arrow before it hit. However the momentary distraction gave the sword user an opening. He swiftly kneed Xena in her midsection. She instinctively doubled over, then felt an elbow being driven into her back. Xena dropped to the ground. The sword user yelled as he plunged his blade down towards Xena. She moved out of the way as his sword struck the ground. Xena did her best to ignore the pain she was in as she sprung up, lunging at him and in one quick motion drove the arrow that she still had into the swordsman's neck. She yanked it back out making a good sized wound. The swordsman dropped his weapon as he quickly clutched his hand on his neck. Blood came pulsing from his neck with each heartbeat since Xena hit the artery. Xena dropped the arrow and grabbed his sword as he fell to his knees. She heard another arrow fly and moved out of the way, causing the arrow to hit the already dying swordsman. As it pierced his chest, he fell back and bleed out from his neck. Xena's focus then turned to the bowman who stood a good ways away from her. And with nothing to use as cover Xena knew that getting in close was going to be a fairly difficult task. Especially in her condition. Even so, she had to try. Xena picked up the sword on the ground as another arrow was sent towards her. She quickly rolled out of the way. Wincing in pain from the wounds on her back from being whipped not long ago. Xena forced herself to stand as she tried to ignore the pain. Yet another arrow came at her. Xena dodged it as she began running as best she could towards the bowman. She continued towards him as he sent arrow after arrow at her. He began to run as Xena got closer in an effort to keep some distance between them. However this caused his accuracy to suffer. So Xena had an easier time avoiding the projectiles as they came at her. Finally the bowman realized that fact and stopped running. He then took aim and shot multiple arrows in rapid succession. Xena dodged, caught or avoided multiple arrows as they flew her way. But her injuries made her slower than normal and she was unable to avoid everything as an arrow hit her in the leg. Gabrielle watched from where she was held as Xena was hit and fell to the ground. She pulled against her restraints as Tobias smiled at the whole situation.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena.

Xena pushed herself up and broke the arrow, leaving the head in her leg. The bow user was now confident as he walked over to her. He readied his weapon as he came in close. However that proved to be a very big mistake on his part as Xena quickly chucked her sword at him. It buried into his stomach and he fell. Xena made it to her feet and looked up at Tobias.

XENA 
Is that the best you've got you bastard?!

Tobias stood as he looked down at Xena.

TOBIAS 
Oh no. You've only just begun.

×××

A wounded Xena stood in the middle of the arena as she awaited her next opponents in the gauntlet. While Gabrielle looked on, still held by chains beside Tobias. She pulled against her restraints as she tried to get free.

TOBIAS 
Oh just stop struggling already. You're not getting out of those chains. So just sit back and watch as Xena hopelessly fights for her life.

Gabrielle didn't respond as she continued to try to get free. Xena took what time she could to rest as she tried to push the pain she felt out of her mind. She watched the arena entrance as her next opponent came into view as they entered the arena. While most of Xena's opponents thus far had been on the larger side, except for the bowman she had just fought. This opponent was a smaller woman. She walked slowly towards Xena, stopping a few feet from her as she smirked at her. Xena watched as she drew two good sized daggers from their sheaths at her sides and held them blade down as then took on a more serious look. She kept her distance as she began to walk around Xena, seemingly assessing her opponent as she prepared for her turn to try and take out Xena. Xena could tell that this opponent seemed to be more strategic than the others.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) A battle of wits huh? If think I can't do strategy, you're in for a rude awakening.

Xena stood still as she kept an eye on the woman who was walking around her in a large circle. Little by little she began to close in. Xena waited for her to make her move. Just when the woman got close Xena watched as she suddenly reached into a small pouch behind her that was attached to her belt. Before Xena had time to figure out what she was doing, the woman threw out a small item. As it hit the ground it burst into smoke. As the smoke surrounded her, Xena tried to sense where the woman was going to attack from. Then she noticed a shadow falling over her. Xena looked up to see the woman coming down from above. She quickly blocked with her sword as the woman struck with one blade. As the woman landed, she attacked with her second dagger. Xena caught her arm before she hit. The woman wasted no time as she jumped up and used both feet to kick Xena in her midsection. Xena let go she she backed off in pain. She saw the woman flip backwards in midair and land crouched on the ground. Then the woman quickly spring forward towards Xena as Xena prepared to mount some of her own offense. Xena swung her sword. The woman used her dagger to block as she continued forward, sliding up Xena's blade as she thrust her second dagger towards Xena's face. Xena moved her head as the blade grazed her cheek, leaving a small cut. Xena used her free hand to grab her arm as she pushed the dagger she blocked back. Xena went to strike when the woman kicked Xena's sword hand and knocked the weapon out of her grasp. Then the woman attempted to strike again. Xena ducked and used the arm she was still holding to flip the woman to the ground. The woman landed on her back behind Xena but sprung right back up as she swung backwards. Xena felt the blade cut into her already battered back. Xena staggered forward as the pain of the fresh cut was added to the pain she was already experiencing. Feeling the woman going for another attack, Xena moved out of the way as the woman was lunging for her. As the woman went past her, Xena swiftly grabbed her from behind and with no weapons in her immediate reach she thought fast as she jabbed her fingers into the woman's neck cutting off the blood from getting to her brain. Xena let the woman go as she walked over to pick up the sword she had been using. Tobias angerly stood up and he watched the woman drop to the ground.

TOBIAS 
What the fuck was that?!

Gabrielle gave him a smug smile.

GABRIELLE 
It looks to me like Xena's done with your games.

TOBIAS 
Fine, if she's so good let's see how she does against this.

Gabrielle watched as Tobias picked up a large red piece of fabric and waved it in the air. Then she heard the sound of a loud horn. She watched as the crowd began to go crazy. 

GABRIELLE 
What's going on?

TOBIAS 
Oh you'll see.

Xena looked around as she also wondered what Tobias was up to now. Then she saw multiple enemies coming through the entrance. Gabrielle eyes went wide as she saw Xena's odds of survival just go down drastically.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle began fighting harder to get out of her restraints. Tobias just laughed as he looked down at Xena. Xena watched as a group of five sword users came at her. She blocked one as he swung. Another came at her from another angle. Xena pushed the first person away and moved out of the way of the second. A third attacked from behind Xena held her sword above her head, blocking that swing as well. Thinking this position left her open as another of her attackers went right for Xena. She waited until he was close and kicked him away. But Xena didn't have time to react to the fifth man who was right behind the one she kicked. He lunged at Xena and plunged his blade into her stomach.

XENA 
...ugh...

On reflex Xena thrust her sword into his chest. As he began to fall back both Xena's blade and the sword in Xena were dislodged from both bodies. As he hit the ground Gabrielle saw Xena clench her stomach. Then Xena was hit with the butt of a sword in the back of the head. Time seemed to slow down for Gabrielle as she watched Xena fall.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena!

Gabrielle pulled hard against her shackles as she yelled.

TOBIAS 
Would you shut up? 

Tobias got up and smacked Gabrielle across the face. Not taking that laying down, Gabrielle kicked Tobias in his stomach. Then as he instantly bent forward, she sent another kick into his face. He backed off he yelled at his guards.

TOBIAS 
You little bitch. Guards, teach her a lesson.

The few guards that were standing nearby went into action as they attacked. With her hands still in chains Gabrielle kicked away a couple of the guards. Then ducked as another came at her. She noticed the shackle keys on his waist and went to grab them, but stopped when the guard grabbed her instead. As Gabrielle fought to get free from his grip she stomped as hard as she could on his foot, kicked him in the shin and finally drove her knee right into his family jewels. He let Gabrielle go as he instantly held himself. Allowing Gabrielle to snatch the keys off his belt before kneeing him in the face. He fell back as Gabrielle began to unlock her wrists. Tobias was furious and as he drew a small dagger and lunged at Gabrielle. Getting one wrist free just in time, Gabrielle quickly threw back her elbow and hitting in the jaw. As Tobias backed off, Gabrielle quickly unlocked her other arm. Finally free she hastily looked for a fast way down into the actual arena. She saw a long banner hanging on the wall next to the seat area that she was in. Knowing she didn't have time to waste Gabrielle ran and hopped on to the balcony railing.

TOBIAS 
You're not getting away from me!

Tobias jumped at Gabrielle. With no time and no other options, Gabrielle lept off the balcony and reached out for the banner. She flew the air and made it as she grabbed onto the fabric. Gabrielle glared back at Tobias for a brief moment, wishing she could finish him off right then for all the horrible things he's done to innocent people. And more so for what he put Xena through. But Gabrielle knew that right at that moment Xena needed her help and that took priority over beating the living daylights out of Tobias. As much as she wanted to. So ignoring Tobias for the time being, Gabrielle slid down to the end of the banner and then dropped the rest of the way to the ground.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

During Gabrielle's escape, Xena was still fighting. Though she appeared to be loosing ground and loosing it fast. Exhausted, injured and out numbered Xena began to take more hits. She felt a sword slice open her arm. Xena quickly turned and pushed her attacker away. Another came at her from behind. Xena moved out of the way as she spun and swung her sword. But the sword user used the metal wrist guard to block. He then shoved Xena back and in one quick movement thrust his sword forward. Xena reached up to grab his wrist, but since he was a good amount bigger than Xena she couldn't fully stop his momentum. At least not in her current condition anyway. He then used his free arm to knock Xena back. He kicked her to the ground. Xena tried to get up but felt a pain in her side as the sword user ran up and kicked her in the ribs. She felt the air get driven out of her as she clenched her slide. Feeling the blood from her stomach wound on her arm. Xena looked up as she heard Gabrielle's voice calling to her. She saw her across the arena as she ran towards her. Then Xena saw her opponent's shadow as it loomed over her. Gabrielle saw Xena on the ground with an enemy standing over her. She ran as fast as she could to reach Xena as she watched the other fighter turn his blade so the point faced Xena as she layed on the ground. Xena looked back and Gabrielle couldn't do anything but run as the swordsman pulled back slightly and then drove his blade straight down at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
No!!!

×××

Gabrielle ran towards Xena who layed on the ground as one of Xena's opponents drove his sword down. Just when the sword was about to hit, Xena reached up and caught the blade in her hand. Blood ran down her hand and arm as the sword cut into her palm. Still Xena held on as she kicked him, letting go as he stumbled back. Then another of Tobias's fighter's came up raised his weapon to finish Xena off. This time Xena couldn't just catch this one. The axe he was wielding was to large to just stop. Xena knew that in her current condition she wasn't able to dodge it quick enough either. Xena realized that she couldn't do anything to stop this. The axe user prepared to swing down when he stopped after hearing someone yelling. He barely had time to turn his head when he was tackled from the side, catching him completely off guard. Xena looked on in shock as she saw Gabrielle come into view as she throw herself at the axe user, knocking him to the ground.

XENA 
Gabrielle? How?

Xena knew that now wasn't the time to wonder just how Gabrielle had gotten to her. Gabrielle grabbed the axe that was dropped and drove the end of the handle into the man on the grounds head, knocking him out before he could get back up. She then dropped the heavy weapon and looked down at Xena. Smiling slightly in relief that she was able to get to her in time.

XENA
Gabrielle look out!

Gabrielle looked back seeing a couple more attackers charging at them. They both held spears. Then she glanced down at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry Xena, I've got this.

Xena watched as Gabrielle ran towards the spear user's coming their way. She tried to get up to stop Gabrielle.

XENA 
No Gabrielle run. There's too many.

Gabrielle ignored Xena's pleas for her to leave and get herself to safety. Instead she charged right for the spear users. One of them thrust his weapon towards her. Gabrielle dodged. Then she grabbed the pole of the spear as she got in close and elbowed him in the stomach. The sudden pain caused him to let go of his weapon as he held his stomach. Now in possession of the spear, Gabrielle swiftly swung the blunt end up into his chin. He fell back and then blacked out when he felt a hard blow to the back of his head. As the second spear user came towards her, Gabrielle ran at him. She then stuck the spear head into the ground and used the momentum to launch herself through the air. She landed a kick right to his face as she dropped down on him. After landing she quickly gave him a good hard kick to the side of the head, making sure he stayed down. Hearing yelling coming from behind her, Gabrielle expertly spun the spear in her hands as she turned her attention to some more of the fighters coming her and Xena's way. Even though spears weren't necessarily her weapon of choice, they were wieled much like the staff that Gabrielle used to have. And dispite having not used it in quite some time, it certainly didn't appear that way from the way she handled the spear with all the skill of a seasoned fighter who used it everyday. Holding the spear blade side down, Gabrielle waited for her opponents to come to her. As the first one reached her, she thrust it forward into his stomach. Then she spun as she swung the pole and cracked it hard into the side of his head. Blood sprayed from his mouth as he crashed to the ground twitching slightly as he layed there. During all Xena slowly managed to get up and now stood by Gabrielle's side as she held her stomach wound. She picked up a sword with her other hand as she looked around them at Tobias's fighter's coming at them from all sides. She began to fight off the ones coming from one direction as Gabrielle handled the enemies coming at them the other way. She knew that they were fighting a losing battle this way.

XENA 
We can't stay in the open like this. There's too many.

GABRIELLE 
No kidding. But what do we do? There's not exactly anywhere to take cover in this arena.

XENA 
Which is why we're not staying in the arena. Come on this way.

Xena lead the way as she and Gabrielle begin moving towards the arena entrance. Though Xena was slower than normal due to all of her injuries. Mostly the arrow still in her leg as she limped slightly as she ran. Both Xena and Gabrielle fought their way through the enemies that came at them as they ran. Tobias was still up in his balcony as he stood watching what was happening below. He saw as Xena and Gabrielle began running for the exit. Enraged that Xena wasn't dead yet and that Gabrielle had gotten free of her restraints and saved Xena, Tobias turned to the guards that stood behind him.

TOBIAS 
After them! Do not let those two escape this arena alive!

His guards ran inside to find Xena and Gabrielle. Tobias yelled at them as they left.

TOBIAS 
And once you're done with them bring me their heads!

An enraged Tobias stormed inside as he headed to his room. 

XENA 
This way Gabrielle.

Xena dictated which way to go as Gabrielle helped her run. Guards and fighter's alike were in hot pursuit as they raced as fast as Xena could go through the halls. Droplets of blood from Xena's injuries fell to the floor as they fleed from their pursuers. Based on the way they were heading Gabrielle realized that Xena wasn't leading them out of the slaver compound.

GABRIELLE 
Xena where are we going?

XENA 
To finally finish this.

GABRIELLE 
What, no. You need medical attention. We have to get you out of here.

XENA 
Don't worry I know what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure there's medical supplies around there somewhere. Besides with all the blood I'm losing I won't make it if we just run.

Gabrielle knew Xena was right. They had to close the stab wound in Xena's stomach soon or she would bleed out. Not to mention all the other wounds she was bleeding from. Both from fighting and from being whipped before she was sent into the arena. Gabrielle got them to another hallway and looked both ways.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, which way then?

Xena pointed in the direction she wanted to go and Gabrielle held tight to Xena's arm that was over her shoulder and she carefully held her other arm around Xena's waist as they kept going. They could both hear Tobias's men not far behind as they searched for them. As they turned a corner Xena motioned to a door.

XENA 
In there.

Gabrielle got herself and Xena to the door and went inside. Gabrielle helped Xena sit in a chair that was in the room. Then she quickly shut the door and pushed a piece of furniture in front of it to block anyone from getting in. Or slow them down at least. Then she turned around to face Xena who had gotten up and made her way to a long table that had various medical supplies on it.

GABRIELLE 
I'm guessing that this is the infermery.

XENA 
Looks like it. 

Xena gathered the things she needed and Gabrielle helped to back the chair. After taking off Xena's top armor and the shirt underneath, Gabrielle began to clean and stitch the wound in Xena's midsection. Obviously focusing on the worst of Xena's injuries first. Once that was closed up, Gabrielle moved on to tending to the other various injuries that Xena had. The worst being the multiple gashes on her back. Lucky only a couple needed to actually be stitched. The rest didn't appear that be deep enough to require stitches. Afterwards Xena helped Gabrielle wrap bandages around her torso to keep them clean and avoid infection. Next Xena got the arrow head out of her leg that she had to leave in during her fight against the archer she fought. Gabrielle helped close that and all the other more serious wounds that Xena had received while fighting. Finally after some work all of Xena's injuries had been treated as best they could be for the time being. Gabrielle looked at Xena's armor and under shirt that were both soaked in blood. Both the enemies and hers. 

GABRIELLE 
Well I guess you can't wear that anymore.

XENA 
(Joking) Too bad. I know you really liked that armor too.

Xena got up gingerly, grabbed a sack that was sitting in the corner and dumped out the contents. After using a small blade that was amung the medical supplies to cut a few holes in the sack, Xena put it on as a makeshift shit. As Xena moved around, Gabrielle felt some sense of relief that she seemed like she was going to be okay. She looked at Xena current attire and couldn't help but comment.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) That's an interesting look.

Xena smirked, knocking how ridiculous she looked being in full armor from the waist down and wearing just a burlap sack as top. But the momentary lightheartedness was cut short when the two heard pounding on the door. 

XENA 
Time to go.

Xena looked around the room for another way out.

XENA 
The window.

She went over to the window and opened it. Moments later the guards burst through the door as they entered an empty room. They saw the open window and ran over, seeing Xena and Gabrielle heading inside a door across the way. Once finding another way back inside, Xena quietly lead Gabrielle through the building until they came to another room. Xena put her ear to the door listening for anyone who might be inside. Not hearing anything, she cautiously opened the door and peaked inside.

XENA 
Good no one's hear yet.

Xena walked into the room with Gabrielle behind her. Xena silently shut the door. Gabrielle looked around what was clearly a bedroom.

GABRIELLE 
Okay now we're in someone's room?

XENA 
Oh this isn't just anyone's room.

GABRIELLE 
This is Tobias's room isn't it. I'm afraid to ask how you know that.

XENA 
Tobias had me brought here my first night here after he bought me.

GABRIELLE 
What why didn't you tell me that?

Xena could see the concern on Gabrielle's face.

XENA 
Don't worry nothing happened. Not for his lack of trying. Same with one of his idiotic guards who I made short work of. Once Tobias got a look at my fighting abilities, his greed apparently won over his lust and he decided to put me in the arena.

GABRIELLE 
Why didn't you tell me?

XENA 
I was completely unharmed and I didn't want to worry you. So I figured since nothing happened,, it wasn't necessary to mention.

GABRIELLE 
I suppose. But I still wish you told me.

Xena smiled as she hugged Gabrielle.

XENA 
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

Gabrielle pulled away as Tobias's voice came from outside the room.

TOBIAS 
I said find them damn it! Now!

XENA 
(Whisper) Hurry hide.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) What about you?

XENA 
(Whisper) I have an idea.

Gabrielle began to hide against the wall behind a long curtain that came down to the floor. Then she saw Xena walk over and sit on the end of Tobias's bed.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) What are you doing?

Xena was about to answer when Tobias walked into his room. He stopped in place when he saw Xena sitting on his bed.

TOBIAS 
Now look who we have here. 

×××

Gabrielle stood hiding behind the curtain in Tobias's room as she listened to Xena and Tobias speaking.

TOBIAS 
What an odd place for you to be right now Xena.

He stood there looking at Xena as she placed her hands behind her and learned back slightly and smirked. Doing her best to hide the pain that she was still in.

XENA 
Actually I think that this is the perfect place for me to be. Especially since I wanted you to find me.

Tobias stroked his beard as he found Xena's current behavior to be very strange.

TOBIAS 
And why is that?

XENA
Simple. I think we should have a talk.

TOBIAS 
Why I would want to talk to you? In fact what makes you think that I'm not going to call for my guards. 

XENA 
Well the fact that you haven't already tells me that you're at the very least a little interested in why I'm here. 

Tobias scowled.

TOBIAS
 You must take me for a fool. I know exactly why you're here Xena. You said so yourself. You wish to destroy my empire and I won't let you.

XENA 
Funny I didn't remember saying that I was going to destroy anything.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
If I recall correctly I simply said that I was going to take you down.

TOBIAS 
I fail to see the difference.

XENA 
Actually there's quite a big difference. You see my intentions for going undercover here was never to tople what you've built, but rather to take it all for myself.

Xena could see Tobias getting angrier. He stormed up to Xena and leered down at her.

TOBIAS 
(Angry tone) Bullshit. You seem to forget that I'm aware of your whole ridiculous goody, goody act now.

XENA 
Which is precisely what it's been. An act.

TOBIAS 
Give me one good reason why I shouldn't have you killed right now? Even if what you said is true, you tried to take what is mine. 
(Sinister tone) And no one takes anything that belongs to me. 

Xena could tell that she needed to get Tobias to calm down and relax his guard if she had any hope of her idea working. She kept her cool and continued trying to convince him that her story was true.

XENA 
Yes my initial intentions were to take everything you have for my own. However during my time here my plans changed.

TOBIAS 
Is that so?

XENA 
Honestly I'm impressed by how you've managed to ammas such a large amount of wealth, power and influence. You've got quite the set up here. But...

Tobias began to lower his guard as he listened to what Xena had to say. He found himself becoming curious about where this conversation was heading. So he continued to indulge Xena. At least for the time being. Figuring that since she was injured it wouldn't be very difficult to have her killed if he still wanted her dead after this.

TOBIAS 
But what?

XENA 
Couldn't it be better?

TOBIAS 
Better huh? I'm listening. 

Xena knew that by implying he could make even more money would catch his attention. It seemed that the only thing stronger than Tobias's lust and need for power, was his greed. And Xena was going to use that fact to her advantage.

XENA 
I could help you increase your intake of fresh, new slaves. And I'm not just talking about higher numbers either. I can get you higher quantity merchandise too. In addition I can also bring in more potential buyers to sell to as well. Both of which would increase your profits multiple times over.

TOBIAS 
Interesting. How exactly do you plan to go about doing this?

XENA
I tend to travel all over the place. And during my time trying to do the whole hero thing, I've earned a good amount of trust amung the little people. I know how to find a good variety of whatever people might be looking for. Men, women, children.

TOBIAS 
Funny, I always heard that you didn't go after women and children.

XENA 
Yes well you should know that you can't believe everything you hear.

TOBIAS
Fair point. But even so that alone doesn't seem all that impressive.

XENA 
That's because you haven't heard my full offer. 

Tobias's interest in what Xena was saying continued to grow.

TOBIAS 
Then by all means please continue.

XENA 
I can get villagers, nobles, Amazons, people from foreign lands. Anything you could imagine, I can find.

TOBIAS 
Mmm Amazons and foreigners, sounds exotic.

XENA
Doesn't it?

Xena watched as Tobias thought for a moment.

TOBIAS
I suppose while I do sell plenty. I have been slightly lacking in a good variety of merchandise as of late. If I were to accept your offer what would you want in return?

XENA 
Just a small percentage of your profits on each sale you make.

TOBIAS 
Each sale? You can't be serious.

XENA 
Hey I'm the one doing all the leg work in this deal. So I think that's a small price to pay for what I'm offering you here. Or would you rather I just completely took over like I had originally planned?

Tobias was unintimidated by Xena's threat.

TOBIAS 
And just how did you plan on doing that by yourself?

XENA 
Who said I was by myself? I have my people waiting for my signal to take this place by force. But I wanted to give you the chance at accepting my offer first. Though if you'd prefer to do this the hard way.

Xena carefully stood up.

XENA 
Gabrielle come out here.

Tobias looked over as Gabrielle stepped out from behind the curtain and stood behind Xena. Gabrielle kept quiet until she could see where Xena was going with this.

XENA 
This as you're aware is Gabrielle. She's my most trusted advisor. As well as a highly skilled assassin. If I were to give the order you'd be dead before you ever saw it coming.

TOBIAS 
If that's true then why didn't you simply have her attempt to kill me to begin with?

Xena felt Tobias's suspicions beginning to build again. She thought fast to come up with something that would hopefully put his mind at ease.

XENA 
I don't like to use her for such trivial things that I could easily handle myself. If I did it would send the wrong message that I'm becoming lazy, complacent or weak. None of which is the case I assure you. After all you've seen for yourself what I'm capable of inside your arena.

Tobias scowled.

TOBIAS 
Then why is she here at all?

XENA 
Insurance.

TOBIAS 
So you have it all figured out now don't you. It would seem that you're even better than your old reputation would lead me to believe.

Xena watched as Tobias relaxed again.

XENA 
I appreciate the compliment. Now back to business. Do we have a deal?

Tobias contemplated the offer layed before him for a few minutes until he came to his conclusion.

TOBIAS 
Very well, I accept your offer.

XENA 
Perfect. I look forward to working with you.

Xena held out her hand in a sign of partnership. Tobias accepted the gesture taking hold of Xena's wrist as she did the same to him.

TOBIAS 
This should be exciting.

XENA 
Oh yeah, you'll soon see that what I have to offer you is just to die for.

TOBIAS 
I had better make the necessary arrangements to get our little arrangement moving then.

Xena let go of his hand as Tobias turned around and began to walk away. Xena took the opportunity to move in to take him out. She spotted a dagger that was sitting on a table nearby. She quickly but quietly moved to grab it. After picking it up Xena began to move silently towards Tobias. She didn't want to alert him and give him the chance to call for help. As she closed in, Xena raised the weapon to finally strike Tobias down. When suddenly the door to his room opened as a guard came to report that no one was able to locate Xena and Gabrielle. The guard saw Xena with the dagger and yelled for Tobias to watch out. As Tobias turned around, Xena took the chance to strike and threw the dagger at him. Tobias froze as the weapon came at him. Just as it was about to hit it's target, Xena and Gabrielle watched as the guard jumped in front of the dagger. Protecting Tobias as the blade sunk into his chest and he fell to the floor. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn guard. I had 'em.

Tobias glanced down at the guard, then turned his attention to Xena and Gabrielle as a furious scowl showed on his face.

TOBIAS 
Guards!!

Within seconds a number of guards ran into the room. With still Xena seriously injured and out numbered with no place to run, both Xena and Gabrielle knew that this was going to have to be where they made their final stand against Tobias and his men. It was clear to them that the next few minutes would determine whether or not this whole ordeal would result in a hard fought victory. Or a complete failure with tragic and deadly consequences.

×××

With a number of his men guarding him, Tobias gave the order to attack Xena and Gabrielle. The two fought off their attackers as they came at them. Xena quickly disarmed the first guard that came at her. Kicking him in the stomach and dropping her elbow into the back of his neck when he doubled over from the kick. Once he fell to the floor, xena grabbed the sword that he dropped and drove the blade into his back as he layed at her feet. As another guard charged her, Xena changed the direction of her blade and swung upwards, slicing up his torso. He fell dead as another came at her and felt the blade plunge into his stomach. Xena shoved him off her sword. Two more guards came at her but were stopped when Gabrielle jumped in kicking both of them to the floor. A guard raised his weapon to strike Gabrielle from behind, and she quickly ducked out of the way as he swung. Moving quickly, she got behind him and kicked out the back of his knee causing him to drop. Gabrielle looked to her side and saw a vase. She picked it up and broke it over the guards head, knocking him out. Suddenly Gabrielle was grabbed from behind by a guard, trapping her arms at her sides. She stomped on his foot, then used both of her feet to push off the wall in front of her. The guard and Gabrielle fell back, but she rolled right over to her feet, stood up and kicked him in the side of his head, taking him out. During all this Tobias watched as the two women took out guard after guard. Becoming madder with each one that fell.

TOBIAS 
You worthless pieces of garbage! How hard is it to kill two people?! What the fuck am I paying you for?!

A guard yelled as he ran at Xena, she threw a punch to his face. Breaking his nose as blood ran down his face. While he backed away Xena swung her sword and sliced his throat. He grabbed his neck as the crimson flowed and he dropped. More guards came at her and Xena stabbed one in the chest, yanked out the blood covered blade out as she used her foot to push him back. She raised her sword above her head as she heard a guard behind her and blocked his attack. The guard then felt a pain in his head as he was suddenly hit. He fell to the side, crashing to the floor as Gabrielle finished her swing. Just as he fell, Xena lunged passed Gabrielle and thrust her sword into a guards stomach who was about to attack Gabrielle behind her back. Gabrielle ran towards a group of their attackers and in one swift movement picked up a spear a guard dropped and while holding it sideways she jumped at them and came down on them with the pole pressed against their throats as they fell. She then hopped up and struck all of them in the head, incapacitating them. The more of his men fell, the more enraged Tobias became. He yelled for more guards and watched as Xena and Gabrielle fought them off.

TOBIAS 
I will not allow just two women to take everything that I've spent years building for myself. Now get rid of them!

As he spoke two more were dropped, one by Xena and the other by Gabrielle. Blood pooled on the floor as bodies fell one after another. Xena yelled as she drove her sword into a guards back as she kicked another away from her. Pulling the blade out he fell as Xena turned while swinging the sword in an arch over her head and brought it down, slicing into another man that was coming up behind her. Gabrielle dodged a guard that ran at her. She then kicked him in his stomach and when he bent forward, she drove her knee into his face. He staggered back into Xena who cut him down. Xena and Gabrielle's battle continued. They fought off all the guards that came at them. Taking out anyone who came their way. That is until Gabrielle heard Xena let out a painful yell. She turned to see Tobias standing there with his back facing her. She watched as Xena came into view as she fell.

GABRIELLE 
No!

Gabrielle dodged a guard that came at her. She grabbed the sword from his hand as she shoved him away and launched her right for Tobias. He laughed as he turned around holding a bloody dagger in his hand.

TOBIAS 
I did it. I'm the one who finally killed that bitch Xena. Oh think of all the money and fame I'll get once I start to spread word. People will remember me for this. My influence will grow as my empire spreads far and wi.. ugh...

Tobias was cut off mid rant as Gabrielle drove the sword into his stomach.

GABRIELLE 
The only thing you're going to be remembered for is being an evil, slave pushing coward. 

Gabrielle let go of the sword as Tobias sunk to his knees. The guards stopped attacking as Tobias fell forward onto the handle, pushing the blade deeper as he died. Gabrielle quickly knelt down beside Xena who layed on her stomach as she bled. She put pressure on the wound as she tried to stop the bleeding. She was to concerned about Xena to realize that the guards had stopped attacking. Though that fact didn't go unnoticed by Xena as she layed there. She got Gabrielle's attention, who then also saw that the guards were now just standing around.

GABRIELLE 
Why aren't you still attacking us?

On of the guards told the that with Tobias dead, they weren't getting paid. So there wasn't any reason for them to keep fighting. Gabrielle looked down at Xena as she tried to stop the bleeding. Then she looked up at the guards.

GABRIELLE 
Once of you hurry and go get water, bandages, a needle and thread from the infermery.

After a guard questioned why he should Gabrielle told him she'd pay him. Money seemed to be what the guards valued most so Gabrielle used that. The guard decided that was good enough for him as he left to get the things Gabrielle told him to get. Xena then spoke to the rest of the remaining guards there.

XENA 
The rest of you gather up the other guards and take all the slaves to the arena.

One of the guards asked why they should listen to them. Gabrielle glared at the guard.

GABRIELLE 
Because if you don't I'll kill you myself.

Knowing how many guards were already killed by them, the rest of guards decided that it wasn't worth it and left to do as they were told. Not long after the guard that went to get the medical supplies came back. Luckily due to being around Xena for so long, Gabrielle knew exactly how to stitch her up. After Xena's wound was cleaned, closed up and bandaged, Gabrielle helped her stand. Before they headed out Gabrielle told another guard where she had been keeping Xena's weapons and armor hidden in the room she had been using and sent him to get it.Then Gabrielle helped Xena walk as they made their way to the arena one last time. Once there Xena and Gabrielle stood in the center as guards finished escorting the slavers. One of the guards walked over and placed a sack at Xena's feet. Gabrielle peeked inside and saw all of Xena's stuff. Once the confused slaves were seated and quieted down Gabrielle spoke.

GABRIELLE 
The days of you fearing that monster known as Tobias is over. He'll never be able to harm anyone ever again. And now all of you are free. There will be carts and horses waiting outside to take you all back home. I know that going back to a normal life will be difficult as some of you have been slaves most or all your lives. But trust me while it's not always easy, a life of freedom is far better than what you've been forced to endure here.

Xena spoke up next.

XENA 
And there's no need to fear the guards. Their loyalties lay with getting paid. And with Tobias gone I've seized control over his wealth. That being said the guards have been instructed to safely escort you to the wagons waiting for you. 

GABRIELLE 
Also as you leave you'll be giving some coin to help you start over.

Xena and Gabrielle stood before a stunned audience. The people couldn't believe that they truly were finally free. Xena smiled at the crowd.

XENA 
Well what are you just sitting there for? It's time for all of you to get out of here. 

Slowly people began to stand up. Xena slightly learned on Gabrielle, still feeling the pain from the,multiple injuries she sustained from their time there as they watched the now freed slaves started to file out of the arena. 

GABRIELLE 
What about all the slavers who come here to buy new slaves?

XENA 
Unfortunately they come from all over. So tracking all of them down would be impossible. I'm sure word about Tobias's death will spread and they'll have to go somewhere else to find their source of slaves. Which I have no doubt that they will.

Gabrielle sighed a little.

GABRIELLE 
It's just sad that there's still so many awful people like Tobias out there preying on people like the way he did.

Xena pulled Gabrielle's head close and placed a little kiss on her forehead.

XENA 
I know how you feel. But don't forget that what we did here made a big difference. We gave alot of people back their lives. Some of which have probably never even known freedom at all. Plus without a steady supply of people I'm sure at least some slave buyers will just give up on searching for a new source to buy from. Slave owners tend to be lazy, so some will most likely find it easier just to go back to doing things for themselves instead of going through the hassle of finding a new slave trader.

GABRIELLE 
I guess you have a point. 

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Now I don't know about you, but I'm sick of looking at this place. Come on there's one more thing we gotta do before we leave.

GABRIELLE 
What's that?

XENA 
Well I'm pretty sure at some point I promised to burn this place to the ground.

GABRIELLE 
You are a woman of your word.

XENA 
Indeed.

After all the people were evacuated Xena and Gabrielle stood up on a hill overlooking the compound as hungry flames engulfed the area. They watched as the carts carried the people away from the nightmare that they had been living, towards their new lives. Xena smiled as she saw the last of the carts go by.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you should come sit down and rest. Dinners almost done. Plus you really should be resting right now.

Giving one last look, Xena turned away as she went and sat down beside Gabrielle by the campfire that they had set up for the night. 

GABRIELLE 
So I bet you're glad you're done with that arena and gauntlet.

Xena shrugged casually.

XENA 
Eh when you think about it, life's kind of one long gauntlet anyway so it wasn't too big of a deal.

Gabrielle smirked as she shook her head.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) You always have such a fun way of looking at things you know that.

Xena sniled.

XENA 
(Joking) Oh yeah. 

GABRIELLE 
Well in that case what's up next in this gauntlet of ours then Xena?

XENA 
Who knows. But whatever we get thrown at us doesn't stand a chance.

Xena playfully winked at Gabrielle who smiled as she leaned her head on Xena's shoulder.

GABRIELLE
Oh yeah.

As a blanket of darkness fell onto the sky above and the day ended, so did Xena and Gabrielle's mission to put an end to a slave empire. Knowing that the people they helped were now as free as they were to run their own gauntlets known as life.

THE END ❤️

email: Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy