Pt.4
Gabrielle stood in front of the Great Amazonian Council as Xena and the others sat in the front row of the audience. Gabrielle did her best to push down her nerves as the Amazonian summit officially got underway. The room began to quiet down as the five members of the council rose from their seats. Gabrielle took a deep breath as the woman in the middle of the five spoke.

?
Greetings fellow Amazon's. We of the council thank you all for coming on such relativity short notice. For anyone here who does not know, my name is Navaea. And to my right are the other council members Luna and Gianna. And on my left is Alanis and Nova.

ALANIS 
We are here to discuss the events that involved the formally unknown Sapphire Snow Owl Tribe and the role that our queen, Gabrielle played in the incident.

LUNA 
Queen Gabrielle what do you have to say about this incident?

Gabrielle looked at the council members unsure of what to say. She closed her eyes for a moment as she pushed down her nerves and entered her "queen mode". She then opened her eyes and spoke.

GABRIELLE 
I'm not sure what you want me to say. The slaver attack on the village was terrible but we managed to stop them in the end.

NEVAEA 
Yes that's true.

GIANNA 
But the attack itself isn't the full reason for you being called here.

GABRIELLE 
If I may ask what is the exact reason for this summit and my being here?

NOVA
Why do you think you've been summoned?

GABRIELLE 
I assumed it was because of the village attack and what might've happened if we failed to stop the slavers.

ALANIS 
To an extent it is. But the fact that you can't already see the true reason for this summit speaks volumes about your capabilities of being the queen of our people.

Xena scowled at the comment as she sat in front of the audience with the others on the trip. But she remained silent. She didn't want to make Gabrielle appear weak if at the first sight of difficulty she came running in to "save the day". Gabrielle held her ground as she tried to figure out what exactly it was that the council was talking about.

GABRIELLE 
While it's true that I'm relatively new to being queen, I assure you that I am a very capable ruler.

GIANNA 
Perhaps, that is when you choose to be.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry?

NEVAEA 
Ah yes I see what you're getting at Gianna. Gabrielle why is it that you're so frequently absent from your queenly duties?

GABRIELLE 
I travel around alot. But when I'm not with the Amazon's I'm sure to leave my role in the very capable hands of my good friend Ephiny. Who's highly qualified for the job I might add.

Gabrielle motioned to Ephiny sitting with Xena and the others in their group.

NEVAEA 
Who you leave in charge is not the question. You say you travel, for those who don't know could you tell us who it is that you travel with.

Gabrielle didn't like where she thought this was going.

GABRIELLE 
Why does that matter?

NEVAEA 
It does if we are to see where you're loyalties lay. Which can obviously have an impact on how you rule.

Xena growled to herself having a good idea of where this line of questioning was going and not liking it one bit. Gabrielle found herself becoming slightly Irritated at the questions that seemed to have nothing to do with the village.

GABRIELLE 
(Slightly Irritated tone) First of all I can be loyal to more than one person or group at once. And to answer your question the person I travel with is Xena, the warrior princess.

Gabrielle turned slightly and pointed out Xena to the council. The woman in the audience gasped at the mention of the famous or infamous warrior, depending on who you talked to. Xena folded her arms across her chest and leaned back in her seat, unaffected by the slight commotion caused by the announcement of her presence. In all honesty she was more concerned about Gabrielle and where the council was heading with bringing her name up. Gabrielle waited for a moment while the crowd settled back down as she turned back towards the council and continued.

GABRIELLE 
But you clearly already knew that. So why bring it up?

ALANIS 
Simply as a point of reference for those who weren't aware of your connection to the former warlord.

Gabrielle scowled at the unnecessary mention of Xena's dark past.

GABRIELLE 
And?

LUNA 
You brought her here with you isn't that right?

GABRIELLE 
Yes.

Again more gasps and talking came from the crowd. Ephiny learned close to Xena.

EPHINY 
(Whisper) Is it just me or are you getting a bad feeling about this whole thing too?

Xena glared straight ahead at the women questioning Gabrielle with a very unhappy look on her face.

XENA 
Absolutely.

The council waited for the crowd to quiet down again as they continued.

GIANNA 
Tell us queen Gabrielle you are aware of Xena's reputation are you not?

GABRIELLE 
I am. But that's not who she is anymore.

Fauna and Kai looked at Xena not knowing what they were talking about. No one in the Sapphire Snow Owl village was aware of the evil person that Xena once was. Not because she or Gabrielle were trying to hide it. The subject just simply hadn't come up.

XENA 
(Whisper) It's a long story. Now's not the time to explain.

Fauna and Kai shrugged as they returned their focus to Gabrielle and the council.

GIANNA 
Yet one more thing to prove that you're a less than competent queen. To think that you would bring someone whose not only not an Amazon but a former criminal and warlord at that. Tell us queen Gabrielle is that secret tribe aware of just who Xena is or was according to you.

GABRIELLE 
It didn't come up.

ALANIS 
It wouldn't surprise me if Xena was actually allies with those slavers to learn the village's secrets.

Now Gabrielle was getting increasingly angry. She always hated when people used Xena's past to try and discredit the good person that Xena had become.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) That's not true! Xena defended the village, along with everyone else! This doesn't have anything to do with Xena anyway!

Nevaea hastily stood from her seat.

NEVAEA 
(Angry tone) It does when it comes to your role as queen. It further proves your lack of reasonable judgment.

Unable to just stay quiet any longer Xena stood up from her seat and angrily addressed the council.

XENA 
(Angry tone) That's enough! 

Everyone in the crowd gasped when Xena spoke.

XENA
(Angry tone) Gabrielle is a good ruler. Regardless of her relationship to me. I won't have you using what I've done to try and lessen her accomplishments as queen. Or who she is as a person.

Luna stood from her seat next and glared at Xena.

LUNA 
(Angry tone) You have better watch your tongue Xena. The fact that you're even allowed here at all is a courtesy based solely on your relationship to the queen and nothing more!

NEVAEA 
I'm curious queen Gabrielle as to what exactly is the extent of your relationship with Xena.

Gabrielle looked at Xena for a moment then back at the council and gave her simple honest answer.

GABRIELLE 
I love her. And she loves me.

A number of the council scoffed at Gabrielle's response. Everyone there was well aware of Xena's past or at least had heard stories about her. Which explained the reaction to Gabrielle's statement. After all what kind of fool would fall for such an awful person and believe that they were actually loved in return. The crowd mumbled amongst themselves as Xena glared back at the audience for a moment.

ALANIS 
This would explain why you allowed Xena to accompany you to the village in the first place.

GABRIELLE 
Isn't that the reason we're here? What happened at the village.

GIANNA 
Yes the slavers we discussed. But the thing that truly brought you here is what lays hidden within the village and the danger it poses.

Fauna gasped as she heard the council.

FAUNA 
Kai you don't think that they know about that do you.

KAI
There's no way. How could they?

Both Xena and Gabrielle wondered that very thing themselves.

GIANNA 
Based off the expression on you're face you're clearly aware of what we speak of.

GABRIELLE 
How do you know about that? No one outside the village should know.

Members of the audience looked at each other wondering what they were talking about. Velasca who had been silent this whole time also found herself curious as to how the council knew about the secret.

ALANIS 
We're not in this position for nothing. We have ways of knowing everything that happens within the entire Amazon nation.

Xena folded her arms across her chest and scowled.

XENA 
So spies.

ALANIS 
That is one of the ways yes.

XENA 
So you know the secret about the village, what does that have to do with Gabrielle?

GIANNA 
As queen she should have come to us to discuss what to do about it. What would've happened if those slavers got their hands on it or if word about it got out?

XENA 
(Mumbling to herself) Obviously what's happening right now since you jackasses know about it.

Gabrielle glanced back at Xena with a worried expression hoping that the council didn't hear that comment.

GIANNA
What was that?

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I said obviously what's happening right now since you jackasses know about it.

Everyone in the crowd gasped yet again as Xena looked back at them and was getting pretty tired of hearing that.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Oh quit the dramatics before I give you something to really gasp about.

Xena and Gabrielle's group scooted away from Xena's direction a bit. Knowing that Xena was beginning to lose her patience with the whole situation.

NEVAEA 
(Angry tone) You have better tread lightly Xena. Keep in mind just where you are.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You're the ones trying to place blame for something that didn't even happen on someone who did everything she could to stop it. 

NEVAEA 
(Angry tone) As queen Gabrielle should have notified us of the discovery so we could best decide what to do. 

XENA 
(Angry tone) How could she when we never even heard of you until a few days ago!

NEVAEA 
(Angry tone) Yet one more short coming to prove Gabrielle's incompetence!

XENA 
(Angry tone) You know what, you, the rest of the council, this audience and this whole damn summit can all just go fu...

GABRIELLE 
Enough!!

Xena looked back at Gabrielle who stood there with her fist clenched tightly at her sides. Everyone in the room turned their focus to Gabrielle as she looked at the council.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry that any of this happened. But I'm only one person. I have flaws and make mistakes. I admit that I don't know everything that I probably should as queen. But I promise you that I do everything I can to benefit our people. And I give my word as queen that I would never intentionally do anything that could hurt the Amazon's.

Luna looked at Gabrielle with a bit of sympathy and sighed.

LUNA
Perhaps we are being a bit too harsh here.

Nevaea looked at her fellow council member.

NEVAEA
You can't be serious Luna. As queen she should be held to a higher standard than the rest.

NOVA
I agree.

GIANNA 
I think Luna may have a point. We all may have rushed to judgment to quickly on this matter. Alanis what do you think?

The final member of the council sighed as she rubbed her forehead in fatigue from the days events.

ALANIS 
I think it may be best for everyone if we end discussions here for today. Perhaps after a good night's rest cooler heads can prevail when we reconvene tomorrow morning.

The other women on the council agreed and called the meeting to an end for the day. Everyone grumbled and talked amongst themselves as they begin to clear out the large room. Leaving Gabrielle, Xena and the rest of their group alone. Everyone knew the emotional toll that the meeting must've had on Gabrielle, even though she did her best to hide it. Xena walked over put her hand on her shoulder.

XENA 
You okay?

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) Sure.

The others walked over as a few offered their own words of encouragement.

GABRIELLE 
(Defeated tone) Thanks I guess.

No one really knew what what to say. None of them had exspected the way things had played out. Xena looked at the other's 

XENA 
I think Gabrielle and I are just gonna go back to our room and get some rest.

EPHINY 
I think that's a good idea. It's been a long day and I'm we all could use some time to unwind.

With that everyone left the Hall and went back to their own rooms. Once back in their room Xena took Gabrielle to bed. The meeting had taken quite the emotional toll on her and Xena could see how tired she was. After getting them both comfortable Xena layed in bed holding Gabrielle as she gently stroked her hair trying comfort her. Gabrielle had her head resting on Xena's chest as she let out an exhausted sigh.

GABRIELLE 
What am I supposed to do Xena? It's like no one wanted to actually listen to what I had to say today. Maybe they're right. Maybe I'm not fit to be queen.

Xena kissed the top of her head as she hugged Gabrielle a little tighter.

XENA 
Hey. Don't talk like that. You're queen for a reason. That council clearly had no idea what they were talking about. You did everything you could today. And during the slavers attack on the village.

GABRIELLE 
But they're right about me not knowing everything I should. Even Valassca mentioned it before and Ephiny agreed.

Xena sighed as she sat up and turned to face her as Gabrielle sat up too.

XENA 
First of all I'd prefer it if you didn't listen to almost anything that Valassca says. You know she doesn't like you right?

GABRIELLE 
Kinda, but still she's still not wrong.

XENA
And second, so you don't know as much as the others. It doesn't stop you from being a good ruler. Plus you're learning. You'd probably know more if we had visited the Amazon's more often and for that I'm sorry. I know that us always being away makes it far more difficult for you when it comes to actually being queen.

GABRIELLE 
It's not your fault Xena. I choose to stay with you and I don't regret it. 

Gabrielle then remembered what the council had said about Xena and found herself getting angry about it all over again.

GABRIELLE 
Even if that council tried to use you're past against me just because I'm with you.

XENA 
Gabrielle I'm...

GABRIELLE 
Xena I already know what you're gonna say and you have nothing to apologize to me for. I know who you used to be but I don't care.

Gabrielle hugged Xena as Xena put her arms around her.

GABRIELLE 
I know who you are now and that's what matters. I love you. Thank you for what you said today. I don't think I could've gotten through that without you.

Gabrielle kissed Xena.

XENA 
We should get some sleep. You look exhausted.

Gabrielle gave Xena a tired smile.

GABRIELLE 
Sleep sounds pretty good right about now.

Xena and Gabrielle got comfortable and went to sleep. As Xena drifted off she thought about how she could possibly help Gabrielle out of the predicament that she now found herself in. The night was quiet as everyone in the group slept in their rooms. It was very early morning before the sun had even begun to come up when Xena and Gabrielle were startled awake by a loud scream. They both sat up.

GABRIELLE 
Was that a scream?

XENA 
Yes.

Xena threw off her covers as she got out of bed and grabbed her sword and chakrum that was sitting near the bed. After throwing on her boots and actual armor as she raced out of their room, Xena ran into Ephiny whose room happened to be right next door.

EPHINY 
You heard that too?

XENA 
Clearly.

Gabrielle came out off their room with her staff as she stomped her boot on the rest of the way and saw Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
Ephiny any idea what that was?

EPHINY 
No idea.

The trio suddenly heard a loud commotion coming from the lower level. They all raced over and looked over the railing. They could see and crowd gathered on the bottom floor.

XENA 
Come on let's find out what's going on.

As they made their way towards the crowd, Velasca, Fauna and Kai came out of their rooms after hearing the commotion and followed the others. As all six reached the bottom the area had begun to become chaotic. A number of Amazons were running around in a panic as other's were gathering in a large group. Xena Gabrielle and the rest made their way through the crowd as Gabrielle asked someone near the front what was going on.

AMAZON 
An act of unspeakable treason has been committed.

GABRIELLE 
What does that mean?

The Amazon didn't answer as she angerly walked away. Gabrielle looked around and found Xena and the others had made it to the front of the crowd.

EPHINY 
Damn that's really not good.

VELASCA 
I think that might be the understatement of the century.

Gabrielle finally pushed her way through the crowd as froze in her tracks when she saw what the commotion was about. Members of the Amazonian Council were standing there looking down at a body that layed dead on the floor.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Oh gods. Xena tell me that's not what I think it is.

XENA 
It looks like someone took their disagreements with one of the members of the great Amazon council to the extreme.

Xena, Gabrielle, Ephiny, Valassca, Fauna and Kai stood among the other Amazon's as they looked on at the body of the council member named Nevaea murdered. It was obvious due to the multiple stab wounds in her back as she layed face down in a pool of blood.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Whose responsible for this?! Killing a member of the Amazonian Council by law is considered an act of high treason. Whoever's committed this crime will be subjcted to the harshest punishments we can use. No one will leave this summit until her everyone involved in her murder is brought to justice.

Pt.5

The crowd of Amazons surrounded the members of the Amazonian Council. Xena, Gabrielle and the rest of their party were among the crowd. Council member Nova stood outraged, demanding that the culprit stepped forward. As the other members knelt quietly in respect to their fallen colleague.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) So who was it?! Don't think that you will get away with this. I vow to Artemis herself that you will be found.

No one came forward as the culprit. Nova looked around at the crowd as she tried to spot anyone who would stand out as being the murderer. Then her gaze landed on a target.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) You.

As she began walking Gabrielle realized that Nova was staring right at her as the council member came her way.

GABRIELLE 
Wait a minute.

Xena noticed that Nova had locked on to Gabrielle as well and stepped in forward.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Don't you even try to place this on Gabrielle.

Nova stopped in front of Xena and glared at her.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Step aside Xena, this doesn't concern you.

XENA 
(Angry tone) It does if you're going to try and pin this on Gabrielle.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) I'm not pinning anything on anyone. I'm just following a logical conclusion to this scenario.

Now Ephiny stepped forward. Also very upset by the accusation of Gabrielle being a murderer.

EPHINY 
(Angry tone) And just how is Gabrielle being the culprit for this crime the logical thing?

Nova looked at Ephiny then to the rest of their group who clearly had the same question in mind.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) It's obvious that Gabrielle is the culprit. 

The crowd began talking amung themselves. Some agreeing with Nova's assessment. While others weren't so easily convinced of their queen's guilt.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) The queen not only had means, but also motive.

GABRIELLE 
Motive?! No, what reason could I possibly have for wanting Nevaea dead?

NOVA 
Simple, she opposed you. And you felt like your rule as queen could soon be coming to an end, but you couldn't let that happen now could you?

XENA 
(Angry tone) Are you insane?! Gabrielle is not a killer.

NOVA 
Well Nevaea sure didn't stab herself in the back repeatedly.

Velasca was the next to step forward.

VELASCA 
Even I can't think of Gabrielle as someone who would simply kill another person in cold blood. She might have plenty of faults but being a murderer certainly isn't one of them. She lacks the mental fortitude to commit such an act.

Ephiny and Xena both made an annoyed growl at Velasca's backhanded way of defending Gabrielle. At that point the other members of the council began to speak up as well. Starting with Gianna and Luna. 

LUNA 
They're right. We can't just rush to judgment here. After all we have no actual proof that it was the queen who committed the murder.

GIANNA 
I agree with Luna on this. We need to do a full investigation and hold a trial before we decide on the queen's automatic guilt. We must ensure that proper justice is done.

Nova growled at her fellow council members.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Why do we need any of that? You must be blind if you can't see the damning evidence that points right to the queen as being the killer.

ALANIS 
Nova's right. A trial would be a waste of everyone's time. All logic points to the queen as being the killer. No one else had a motive.

XENA 
(Angry tone) Gabrielle is innocent. And if you really think that no one else could possibly have a reason for assainating someone in power then you're even more out of touch than I thought.

Alanis glared at Xena.

ALANIS 
(Accusatory tone) You mean someone like you?

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Don't you dare try to accuse Xena for this either.

KAI 
(Angry tone) Yea neither of them would do this sort of thing.

FAUNA 
Kai's right. Both queen Gabrielle and Xena are good people 

A number of the crowd spoke up in their agreement with Gabrielle's innocence.

ALANIS 
Of course all of you are going to defend each other. You all probably conspired together once you saw that Gabrielle would likely be removed as queen. Besides with such a lax ruler in charge that gives you free reign to do anything you wish with next to no real consequences.

The council member Gianna had decided that she had heard enough.

GIANNA 
You're out of line Alanis. You're just stretching things to fit your own narrative.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Oh please Gianna, why would you defend them after what happened?

A large number of the crowd spoke up in agreement.

LUNA 
We have no proof.

Others in the crowd shouted their approval with that statement.

ALANIS 
(Angry tone) She never should've been queen to begin with. And the fact that so many are willing to just blindly follow Gabrielle simply because of her title makes you all fools.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) The incident with the secret village should be proof enough that Gabrielle is not a fit ruler. She won't even tell us what is in that village.

GABRIELLE 
I can't.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) But if it truly effects us all don't we have a right to know?! And now with the murder of a council member who opposed her, I think it's clear that you're willing to do anything to hold on to power.

A number of the crowd roared in agreement.

GABRIELLE 
You're wrong! I'm not a murderer! And I did everything I could to protect the village!

Tensions in the room were becoming increasingly hostile as everyone began taking sides on the matters of both Gabrielle's fitness of being queen and whether or not she was the one who killed Nevaea. Soon everyone was yelling at each other. As Xena, Gabrielle and the others knew that things were getting very out of hand, very fast. Before anyone had tilme to stop it, people began to push and shove others who disagreed with them. Which escalated quickly into an all out fight between sides. Xena instinctively put herself in front of Gabrielle and drew her sword as some of the violence came their way.

XENA 
I think this summit is over. Let's go before we get pulled into this mess.

GABRIELLE 
We can't just leave Xena. They're fighting because of me.

XENA 
No Gabrielle, you didn't cause this. It's their own foolishness and unwillingness to see reason that did this.

GABRIELLE 
We still have to do something.

Xena knew that Gabrielle was right. The whole area was in chaos. They needed to put a stop to it before people were seriously hurt. Xena, Gabrielle and the rest of their group began to try to put an end to the fighting. Everyone spread out as they tried to calm the crowd down. Xena was busy prying people apart from killing each other when her super human senses picked up on something. She sniffed the air.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Smoke.

She looked up and saw that one of the upper levels had caught on fire from a torch during the chaos.

XENA 
FIRE!

Gabrielle looked at Xena when she yelled. She saw where Xena was looking as the flames began to spread.

GABRIELLE 
No...

Xena grabbed Gabrielle's arm and began running with her as Ephiny, Valassca, Fauna and Kai followed. Other's who heard Xena's warning began fleeing from the fire too. Soon those involved in the fighting realized the danger and also ran to escape the hungry flames that were rapidly consuming everything within their path. Gabrielle coughed as she covered her nose and mouth from the smoke while Xena and the others did the same as Xena lead their group through the fire and smoke. They ran until they came to the long stairway that they had come up when they first arrived. Xena looked down and knew that the fire would catch them before they could get to the bottom by foot. She looked around and spotted a large banner hanging on a wall nearby. She quickly ran over and ripped it from the wall, came back over and tied one end around a pillar that was at the top of the stairs.

XENA 
Gabrielle come here and hold on to me.

Gabrielle didn't need to ask what Xena was doing. She quickly put her arms around Xena's neck as Xena held her with one arm and grabbed onto the banner with her free hand. She looked at the rest of the group for a moment.

XENA 
Lets go.

With that Xena and Gabrielle climbed over the railing as Xena stepped off and she and Gabrielle began sliding down the banner towards the bottom of the tree. One by one Ephiny, Valassca, Fauna and Kai climbed over the railing and grabbed the banner as they followed Xena and Gabrielle down. Once Xena reached the end of the banner she and Gabrielle looked down. Seeing that there was still a good drop to the bottom. Having no choice Xena let go of the banner as she and Gabrielle free fell the rest of the way to the ground below. Xena landed on her feet with Gabrielle in her arms. She put Gabrielle down.

XENA 
You okay?

GABRIELLE 
Yeah.

KAI
Heads up.

Xena and Gabrielle quickly stepped out of the way as Kai, Fauna, Ephiny and Velasca dropped from above. Once everyone was down they made it to the secret entrance. They all began trying to get the door open. It wouldn't budge.

KAI 
Damn it you stupid door open!

XENA 
Hurry get your weapons out.

Xena drew her sword and pushed the blade flat under the door. Everyone with a thin enough blade did the same. They all then used that as leverage to pry the heavy wooden door up enough for them to get their hands under it and lift it open. As they got the door open enough to get out, Amazon's from upstairs were frantically running down the stairs towards them. Followed closely by the smoke and fire. Xena, Gabrielle and the rest of the group finally made it outside as they coughed as gasped for fresh air. Xena made sure that everyone got a safe distance from the giant tree as more women made it outside. As they moved back, the group heard someone yelling as they came their way. They turned around and saw Nova running right at them.

NOVA 
(Furious tone) You traitorous bitch! This is all your fault!

Xena went to move in front of Gabrielle, but instead Gabrielle stepped forward. Not backing down from Nova as she ran right up and punched Gabrielle as hard as she could right across her jaw. Xena saw red and was ready to knock Nova right out of her boots when Gabrielle stuck her arm in front of Xena, stopping her. Gabrielle turned her head back forward as she stared at Nova.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I'm not the one who started this fight.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Aren't you. You're the one who killed Nevaea. 

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I did not kill her.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Whether you actually held the weapon or not doesn't matter. It was either you or someone from your group. So no matter how you look at it, you're responsible for all of this. We wouldn't even be here if it weren't for you! This violence wouldn't have started if not for you!

Nova motioned to the sacred tree that was burning.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Just look at the damage and chaos you've caused!

XENA 
(Angry tone) I've had enough of you trying to blame Gabrielle for everything. And I suggest you stop before I make you.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) Is that a threat warrior princess?

XENA 
(Angry tone) It's not a threat, it's a promise.

Nova sneered at Xena as she looked back at Gabrielle.

NOVA 
(Ominous tone) You have no idea what you've done. Killing a council member, causing the burning of the sacred tree. That paired with what you allowed to happen in that secret village. This is worse than treason. The events that took place today is an act of war against the Amazonian people. I suggest you find any allies that you can Gabrielle. Because soon you will have even more blood on your hands. The next time I see you or any of the rest of your supporters will be on the battlefield. Once word of what happened today spreads you had better be ready.

With that Nova stormed off. Leaving Gabrielle to realize that horrible feeling she had when this all began was right and they should've just left then. But now it was too late as the group retrieved their horses and made their way back to the village to break the news to everyone there that they all needed to begin to prepare for a civil war amung the Amazon's.

Pt.6

GABRIELLE 
War. God's Xena what am I gonna do?

Gabrielle sat in a chair in their living room as she put her face in her hands for a moment. Before sitting back and looking up at the ceiling of their home back in the secret village. Silently a small part of her hoping that Zeus would just throw down a bolt of lightning and just kill her right then. Xena walked over and crouched down in front of her.

XENA 
We'll figure this out Gabrielle. I promise. And we'll find out who really killed Nevaea.

GABRIELLE 
If this war really happens it could do so much damage to all the Amazon's. Even the ones not involved.

XENA 
I know and we're gonna do everything we can to stop this. But we still have to be prepared for if it dose to come to that.

GABRIELLE 
I know. 

Gabrielle sighed.

GABRIELLE 
I still have to tell the rest of the village about this. Everyone was already nervous about the summit to begin with and now... Damn it!

Gabrielle pounded her fist on the arm of the chair in frustration.

GABRIELLE 
Ah. 

Gabrielle shook her hand from hitting the chair too hard and hurting herself slightly. Xena gave her a small, reassuring smile as she took Gabrielle's hand and kissed it as she held it in hers.

XENA 
We'll get through this. All of us. The people out there trust you as their queen and friend. You can do this Gabrielle and I'll be right beside you no matter what.

Gabrielle took a deep breath as she mentally prepared herself as she and Xena stood up and went to the front door. Gabrielle stood there for a moment as she entered her "queen" mode. Knowing that she was going to have to put on a confident and brave front in front of the others. She knew that now wasn't the time to let her emotions get the better of her. As much as she just wanted to scream and cry out of anger, frustration and fear over everything that was happening so quickly that she hadn't even really had much time to process everything. But Gabrielle made a mental note that there would be time for all that later. Now the people that supported her still needed their leader and Gabrielle was determined to do anything she could to live up to that loyalty and not let them down. Not when there was so much on the line.

XENA 
Ready?

Xena's voice pulled Gabrielle from her thoughts.

GABRIELLE 
Huh?

XENA 
I asked if you're ready to go out there.

GABRIELLE 
As ready as I'll ever be.

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's arm for a moment showing her support as she opened the front door and let Gabrielle walk outside ahead of her. The two made their way to the hall building in the village where everyone had already gathered. Xena had the others who had come with them to the summit get everyone together for the news of what was going to be happening. As Xena held open the door and let Gabrielle enter first, Gabrielle stepped inside and instantly felt her stomach churn as everyone turned to look at her and bowed to a knee. As much as she hated that, Gabrielle had been told that Ephiny and the others told the village that this was an official meeting that the queen was holding. And if there was one thing amazon culture was known for it was the traditions and rituals that they followed religiously. Gabrielle knew that this was just something that she had to deal with. Especially when it came to important ceremonies and takeing official acts as queen. Plus Gabrielle had far more important things on her mind at the moment to pay attention to the usual discomfort she had for being bowed to. As she walked passed everyone, to the front of the room Xena walked around the outside and stood beside the throne like chair that was waiting for Gabrielle. Once she got to the front, Gabrielle turned around to face everyone as Ephiny took her place on the opposite side of the throne. Since she acted as interim queen when Gabrielle was away from the Amazon's. And because Gabrielle knew that she could come to her for anything that she needed to know about being queen. This wasn't only due to her status. But because Ephiny was also a very good friend. So it was an obvious choice that Gabrielle would pick Ephiny to stand by her side for things like this. Once Gabrielle sat down everyone got up from their bowing positions and sat down as well. Gabrielle cleared her throat as she looked out at everyone before her waiting for their queen to speak. After taking a moment to gather her thoughts, Gabrielle began.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you all for getting together like this. I'm sure most of you are wondering why I've called this meeting today. I wish it was for a happy occasion. But unfortunately that isn't the case. 

Gabrielle stood up as she continued to speak.

GABRIELLE 
As most of you probably know by now I was summoned to speak with the Amazonian Council about what happened here with the slaver attack. I won't go into everything that was said, due to the fact that we have more pressing problems at the moment. But on the second day of the summit one of the council members was found dead.

Everyone in the crowd began to talk at once as they were all in shock from the news. Gabrielle raised her hand to quiet down the room as she continued.

GABRIELLE 
I know that's terrible news and I'm in no way trying to diminish this tragedy, but there is something else that I need to tell you. 

Everyone went silent as they allowed Gabrielle to continue.

GABRIELLE 
This next part might be even more difficult to hear, and theres no good way to say this but due to everything that happened it seems highly likely that the whole amazon nation may be on the brink of a civil war.

As exspected everyone who wasn't at the summit began to erupt into a panic at the thought of an all out war. Clover stood up from her seat.

CLOVER 
War? What in Tartarus happened there to warrant a war?

Gabrielle did her best to explain the basics of what went down during the summit.

IRIS
The sacred tree is really gone? This is terrible.

AMARICE 
How can anyone actually blame Gabrielle for any of what happened or whats happening now?

SKYLA 
So what are we gonna do now?

Gabrielle looked down sadly for a moment before looking back at the audience.

GABRIELLE 
What we have to. I'm going to try my hardest to stop this before it really starts but if I can't we need to be ready for what will likely happen. I'm not going to order anyone to go with me onto the battlefield if you don't want to. I'm simply telling you what's going to happen.

SKYLA 
I don't know about anyone else but I'm with you Gabrielle. I know that you could never be responsible for what happened.

CLOVER 
Same here.

IRIS 
I'm with you as well queen Gabrielle.

AMARICE 
I can't believe anyone would blame you for something like this. Of course I'm in.

Of course everyone who was at the summit stated their allegiance with Gabrielle. Well besides Velasca who only gave a slight nod when asked by someone if she supported Gabrielle.

VELASCA 
I'm on the side of who's technicality right. And in this case it's Gabrielle.

Xena had overheard the brief conversation and was somewhat relieved that Velasca wouldn't be a problem. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Huh maybe Velasca's finally getting over her jealously and resentment of Gabrielle being queen. I guess that's something.

After Gabrielle finished breaking the news she did her best to answer any questions. Finally she assured everyone that she would do everything within her power to bring the situation to as peaceful of an end as she could. With that she ended the meeting and everything went off to begin to prepare for what was to come. A few weeks later Gabrielle received a letter from the council members Luna and Gianna, stating that Gabrielle had the support of them and their tribes. Along with a number of other tribes who pledged their allegiance to their queen. Gabrielle sat down on the bed as she finished reading the letter when Xena walked in the room.

XENA 
Whatcha got there?

GABRIELLE 
Another letter of allegiance from some of the council members and their tribes.

Gabrielle tossed the letter on the bed as she fell back and layed on the bed staring up at nothing.

GABRIELLE 
This is really happening.

XENA 
Afraid so.

Xena walked over and sat on bed next to Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
How did this all go so wrong Xena? I don't even know what to actually do here. How do we even win this?

XENA 
The same way all wars are won. Kill enough of the enemy to the point where you either wipe them out completely or force them to surrender.

Gabrielle gave Xena a very unhappy look as she sat up.

GABRIELLE 
You know that's not what I ment.

XENA 
I know. But that's what we're dealing with here Gabrielle. Nothing I say is going to make this mess go away or make it easier. I'm sorry I wish there was something I could do.

GABRIELLE 
So when exactly does the fighting start?

XENA 
Besed of the intel we have I think we need to head out tomorrow to reach the point where all our allies are set to gather. Then we go from there.

GABRIELLE 
This is all happening so fast. Not long ago we were celebrating our victory in beating the slavers and rebuilding. And now we're preparing for a civil war amung the Amazon's. Do our lives always have to be this insane.

Xena put her arm around Gabrielle's shoulders as they sat there for a while.

GABRIELLE 
Xena with us leaving tomorrow and not knowing how things are going to play out after tonight. I know this might sound silly to think about right now but I know how things can go in a big battle or war. And I love you and I just...

Gabrielle looked up at Xena who understood what Gabrielle was trying to say. Xena softly touched Gabrielle's cheek as she smiled.

XENA 
It's okay come here.

Xena held Gabrielle's face in her hands as she softly kissed her. She took off Gabrielle's clothing. Followed by her own. Xena kissed her as she went to lay Gabrielle down but Gabrielle stopped her. 

GABRIELLE 
You've been doing so much for me Xena, let me love you tonight.

XENA 
Of course. Whatever you want.

Xena layed down as Gabrielle moved and positioned her womanhood against Xena's as she knelt between her legs. Xena reached up and gently ran her hands over Gabrielle's body.

XENA 
What ever happens after tonight, I love you Gabrielle and I'll always be by your side no matter what.

GABRIELLE 
I love you Xena.

Gabrielle placed her hands on the bed as she began moving herself against Xena. Both moaned as they felt their centers meet. Xena held Gabrielle's waist as Gabrielle thrust against her. Gabrielle slowly pushed against Xena as she leaned down and kissed her. Xena's hands slid up Gabrielle's back while Gabrielle continued to move. Gabrielle whispered Xena's name as she thrust herself against her. She began to move her feminine treasure a little faster against Xena's. Xena held Gabrielle's waist pulling her tighter against her as she called Gabrielle's name. Gabrielle let out a small moan as she continued pushing herself against Xena. She gripped the sheets under them. Feeling herself getting closer to her climax. Xena was close too as Gabrielle kept moving. Gabrielle thrust harder against her as she felt her orgasism just on the horizon. She moved faster and then with one more push, Gabrielle let out a blissful cry as she came. She layed her head on Xena's chest as she slowly calmed her breathing while feeling her center spasm in orgasism. Xena ran her fingertips over Gabrielle's back until Gabrielle looked up at Xena, seeing her loving smile.

XENA 
Feel a little better?

GABRIELLE 
A little.

XENA 
Good.

Xena kissed Gabrielle as Gabrielle moved to lay next to Xena. She looked at her as she thought of something.

GABRIELLE 
Xena you didn't um... you know. Did you?

XENA 
It's okay Gabrielle. I know that you needed that more than me tonight.

GABRIELLE 
It's not okay Xena. I said that I wanted to love you and I know I left you hanging last time too.

XENA 
Sure I was slightly disappointed but Gabrielle you know I was only joking about being actually upset about that right?

GABRIELLE 
I know. But with what's coming up I want tonight to be good for both of us. So if you want I wanna make you feel good too Xena.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
If that's what you want I'm certainly not gonna turn that offer down.

Gabrielle smiled as she leaned in and kissed Xena. She then got out of bed and retrieved something that Xena recognized instantly.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Now what did you plan on doing with that.

GABRIELLE 
I can think of a few ideas. You just stay right there.

Gabrielle climbed back into bed and knelt between Xena's legs. She held the phallic item that she had grabbed in her hand and lightly rubbed it along Xena's womanhood. Xena shuttered slightly in anticipation. After a few moments Gabrielle preceded to push the item into Xena. Who let out a low moan as she felt it sink deep inside her. Gabrielle slowly began to move it in and out of Xena's warmth. It wasn't long until Xena felt her orgasism approaching. Gabrielle could tell and began to pump the phallus into Xena faster. Using her other hand Gabrielle began rubbing Xena's clit as she continued weaving the item in and out of her. Xena clenched at the sheet under her as she felt herself ready to reach her climax. Her feet dug into the bed as she threw her head back and let out cry of pure extacy as she came. Gabrielle slowly stopped moving the phallus and took it out. Xena began to come down from her high when Gabrielle layed on her stomach between Xena's legs and began running her tongue up and down Xena's womanhood. After a moment Gabrielle found Xena's clit pulled it into her mouth as she began sucking the the little bud.

XENA 
Gabrielle....

Xena felt herself nearing another orgasism quickly as Gabrielle continued to suck. Gabrielle moaned into Xena who let a yell as she came again. She felt her nether region spasm in orgasism as the waves of extacy crashed into her. Gabrielle kept sucking as Xena reached down with both hands and gently lifted Gabrielle's face from between her legs and smiled at her.

XENA 
I think I'm good. You keep that up and I won't be getting out of bed tomorrow.

GABRIELLE 
Oh right. Sorry I don't know what came over me.

XENA 
I do.

Gabrielle crawled up and layed beside Xena as Xena pulled the covers over them.

XENA 
You just wanted something to take your mind off of things for a while.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry I didn't mean to use you like that. 

XENA 
You have nothing to apologize for. I'm more than happy to be that kind of distraction anytime.

Xena smirked as she gave Gabrielle a quick wink.

XENA 
Plus that'll probably help us both get a good night's sleep too.

Xena pulled Gabrielle close as they settled down for the night.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

XENA 
Mmm?

GABRIELLE 
Be honest. Do you think I could've done something more or different to avoid this war?

XENA 
Honestly no. I wish there was. But unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that now. Things just spiraled out of control too fast. The ones to blame are everyone who jumped in right away. Whether they were blinded by grief, anger, hate, their loyalties or whatever else made them decide that war was the only option. Everyone involved now has made their own decisions to do this. And now unfortunately whether we like it or not we're a part of this.

GABRIELLE 
It's this sort of thing that makes me sometimes really wish that I wasn't the queen.

XENA
I know. It'll be okay Gabrielle. 

Xena kissed the top of Gabrielle's head.

XENA 
Some how.

Gabrielle and Xena fell asleep and morning came. As Gabrielle walked outside she noticed that the sky was dark and gray. She thought of how fitting the whether seemed to be for what was about to begin to take place. Everyone from the village that was a capable fighter stood ready and armed with horses behind them. Xena walked out behind Gabrielle and handed Gabrielle her staff. Xena looked out at everyone waiting on them and put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder, who reached up and lightly squeezed Xena's hand.

XENA 
It's time to go.

GABRIELLE 
Okay.

Xena and Gabrielle went and got on Argo as everyone else mounted their own horses. Gabrielle decided to wait to give any sort of rousing speech until after they joined up with their allies at the designated place that everyone had agreed to gather to discuss strategy and anything else that needed to be dealt with before the fighting got underway. Plus in all honesty she didn't really have anything all that inspiring to say at the moment anyway. Everyone remained quiet as they rode out of the village. The group traveled for several days until Xena spotted the ally camp that they had been heading for. As everyone rode in Gabrielle looked around in shock at the number of Amazons just in that camp alone. And just from the volume of those in attendance there, Gabrielle knew that there were multiple camps just like this one. And on both sides. She didn't really want to think of the sheer number of Amazons involved in this conflict in total. Not to mention how it would effect even those who weren't fighting. Xena felt Gabrielle tighten her grip around her midsection as she tensed up but did her best not to show it to those around her. Xena rubbed Gabrielle's arm in an effort to soothe her even just a bit. The group found a spot to dismount and left their horses as they were approached by a few high ranking warriors.

AMAZONI WARRIOR 
Queen Gabrielle?

With a deep breath Gabrielle pushed aside her fears and went into her "queen mode".

GABRIELLE 
Yes.

The woman bowed in respect and then stood back up.

AMAZON WARRIOR
We've been expecting you and your party. We have the queen's tent set up for you. And several tribe leaders are waiting to speak to you once you're ready.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you.

After everyone else in the party spread out to do anything they needed to do to get ready, Gabrielle and Xena followed the Amazon to the large tent. The woman held open the tent entrance for Gabrielle to enter and was about to stop Xena from following when Gabrielle spoke up.

GABRIELLE 
This is Xena and she stays with me.

AMAZONI WARRIOR 
Of course, apologies my queen.

The woman gave a nod to Xena apologizing to her as well as she let Xena pass. Inside the large tent, a number of Amazons sat waiting for Gabrielle's arrival. While she and Xena recognized Gianna and Luna from the council, there were a few unfamiliar faces amung the small group. Clearly other higher ups from other tribes who supported Gabrielle. Gabrielle took a deep breath as she got ready for things to truly begin.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you for being here. Now let's get started so we can put an end all this.

And with those words the stage was set for the war between the Amazon's to truly begin.

Pt.7

Gabrielle and Xena stood inside the large tent with a number of high raking Amazon's. Including the council members Luna and Gianna who were among Gabrielle's supporters. Gabrielle wasn't quite sure what to say. Battle and strategy wasn't exactly her strong suit. And she certainly didn't know how to win a war.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) What am I supposed to do or say here? They're all just sitting there waiting on me to make a move. Come on Gabrielle think. There's too much on the line to panic now. But what do I do?

Xena knew that Gabrielle wasn't very skilled in this sort of thing. Sure she was smart and could talk her way out of just about anything. But battle strategy and fighting just weren't where her talents layed. Xena could tell that Gabrielle was trying to figure out what to say in this situation. As everyone looked at her, Gabrielle spoke as she tried to think of what she should do. All the while doing her best hide just how uncomfortable and terrified she really was about the whole ordeal that she and her allies now found themselves in.

GABRIELLE 
First I'd like to thank you for your support with this and know that I don't take any of what happening lightly. You have my word that I want to end this as quickly and as painless as possible.

LUNA 
That's what we want too my queen. 

The rest of the group agreed. One of the women gave Gabrielle the details of what they knew about the enemy forces.

GIANNA 
Based on intel, the first wave of their army is riding towards our western front. We also have word that it's possible for a frontal assault as well.

GABRIELLE 
Do we know how big their army is as a whole?

LUNA 
We don't have the full numbers. But it doesn't look good. They out number us at least two to one. They possibly could have up to three times our fighter's.

GABRIELLE 
How do they have so many? Are there really that many people who think I'm responsible for what happened?

GIANNA 
Everyone has their own reasons for fighting my queen. Some that may not even have anything to do with the secret village, Nevaea's murder or the sacred trees destruction.

XENA 
You know how fast anger and hated can spread Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
True. Unfortunately we've seen it far too many times already.

GIANNA 
Well that's what we're facing here. I'll admit that the odds aren't in our favor, but we stand with you my queen no matter what.

LUNA 
Yes. We await your command.

Gabrielle quickly looked around as she tried to think of what to do. Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder as Gabrielle looked at her for a moment and then knew exactly what she was going to do.

GABRIELLE 
Yes well I find that in life it's good to have those around you who may have strengths in areas where you might be lacking. Or those who you can enhance your knowledge of things. Which is why while battle strategy isn't something I excel at I do know a brilliant strategist and fighter who I know can lead us to victory. And we have her right here. 

The other women in the tent looked at one another for a moment as Gabrielle continued.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

Everyone looked at Xena who stepped forward.

GABRIELLE 
From this point on, everything that you want to discuss about this war you can tell either myself or Xena.

The other women agreed to Gabrielle's wishes to have Xena second in command. A number of them were familiar with Xena's abilities on the battlefield and knew just how useful she would be in winning the war. So after Xena took charge of the meeting, everyone but Gabrielle and Xena left to prepare to head into the fight.

XENA 
Nice move. I knew you'd figure out a way to handle that.

GABRIELLE 
I'm just glad they were okay with you taking charge.

XENA 
They trust your judgment Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE 
At least that's something. I still can't believe just how much the other side out numbers us by.

XENA 
We can't focus on that right now. Besides you heard me before. Their numbers don't mean anything when it comes to who's right.

GABRIELLE 
Does being right really matter anymore Xena? Who knows how many people are gonna die.

XENA 
I know.

Not long after Gabrielle and Xena left the tent. After everyone heading into battle finished getting ready, Gabrielle and Xena lead their allies out of the camp as they rode towards the enemy. Gabrielle gripped her staff tightly as they reached the top of a hill that overlooked a large field and forest. As Gabrielle looked out she could see what she assumed was the enemy army advancing from the other side of the field.

XENA 
There they are. It's time Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
I know. I'm ready.

Gabrielle took a deep breath as she entered queen mode.

GABRIELLE 
Make the call when you're ready Xena.

Xena drew her sword and raised it in the air. Signaling for everyone to get ready. As she did, a number of archers lined up and held their bows drawn. After waiting for the enemy to get closer, Xena swung her sword down through the air as she gave the go ahead for the attack to begin. When she did, the archers released their bowstrings and let a hail of arrows fly. The projectiles flew in an arch and rained down on the front of the enemy Amazon's army. Taking down a good number of the front line. And with that first attack, the war officially began as Xena, Gabrielle and all of the Amazons that had come with them from the village charged forward with the rest of their allies into the battle. Argo galloped down the hill carrying Xena and Gabrielle into the fight. Once close enough Xena grabbed her chakrum and launched it towards a group of enemy Amazon's, cutting off the blades of their spears as it flew by bounced off a rock and came back to Xena. She brought Argo to a stop as she caught her weapon, let out her battle cry and vaulted out of the saddle and flipped forward. Landing on her feet in front of the horse as she blocked an incoming sword attack with her own. Gabrielle got down from Argo and the mare hurried away from the fighting until she was needed again. Gabrielle ducked out of the way of an incoming strike. She spun and swept out the legs of her attacker with her staff. As the woman layed on her back she sneered at Gabrielle. She clearly knew exactly who she was as she called Gabrielle a traitor to their people and mockingly asked if Gabrielle was going to kill her like she had killed Nevaea.

GABRIELLE 
I didn't kill her!

The enemy Amazon ignored Gabrielle as she kicked Gabrielle back and sprung back to her feet. She lunged at Gabrielle, who quickly brought up the bottom of her staff into the woman's jaw and knocked her back.

GABRIELLE 
I don't wanna fight any of you. Just stop.

The enemy Amazon just yelled as she thrust her spear up towards Gabrielle. Gabrielle was able to dodge and quickly followed up with a heavy swing of the end of her staff across the side of the enemy Amazon's head and knocked her unconscious.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Damn it. I don't think any of them are gonna listen to anything I say.

Xena yelled as she kicked back an enemy and swung her sword, cutting down another that was attacking her.

XENA 
Stay close Gabrielle.

The two stood back to back as they fought off the opposing enemy forces. Spread out across the battlefield a number of their friends were fighting hard as well. Clover brought her battle axe down into an enemy as Skyla and Amarice took down their own opponents. Aways from their location Kai jumped down from a tree onto an enemy, taking the Amazon out. As an arrow flew by and just grazed her arm, leaving a cut. Kai was not amused and changed the archer with an angry yell. Meanwhile Ephiny blocked a strike with her sword and pushed her opponent way as she followed up with her own offensive attack. Iris and Fauna picked off the enemy from the back line with bows. As Valassca drove her own blade in an enemy. Even the council members Luna and Gianna were in the battle giving instructions where they thought they were needed. Everyone did their part as they fought off the opposing amazon army. As the fighting continued, an infuriated Alanis stood over looking the battle as Nova walked over to her.

NOVA 
Gabrielle actually has more supporters than I would've thought.

ALANIS 
Fools. All of them. They allow that title of queen to cloud their better judgment. Gabrielle will pay for what she's caused.

NOVA 
Yes.

Nova walked away as Alanis stood there for a moment. While in the shadows a figure moved away from watching the two with an ominous laugh.

Pt.8 

The war waged on. As hours turned to days. And days became weeks of blood shed between the two sides. Both taking heavy casualties as the cost of the conflict began to severely weigh on Gabrielle. She sat in her tent alone as she heard these outside going about preparing for the next battle. She closed her eyes for a moment as she attempted to clear her mind. Hearing a noise, Gabrielle instinctively grabbed her staff that she had next to her and swung as she stood up and turned. A hand reached up and easily caught it.

XENA 
You've really improved your reflexes with that thing.

Gabrielle sighed as she relaxed and sat back down as Xena let go of her staff.

GABRIELLE
Yeah well what other choice do I have?

Xena walked around and leaned against the table that was in front of Gabrielle. She could see the dark circles under Gabrielle's eyes. She hadn't been sleeping well since the war began, but she did her best to keep it from Xena. But deep down she knew that she couldn't hide it from her. Xena knew her all too well. Xena gave her a gentle smile.

XENA 
(Half joking) You look terrible.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Hey is that any way to talk to a queen?

XENA 
It is when she's running herself ragged.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah well it's not like I have any other options. There doesn't seem to be any signs of this ending anytime soon.

Xena sighed knowing how true that was. Things weren't exactly going well for their side. It seemed like after most battles they came out on the loosing end. Even with Xena's strategies. It wasn't just Gabrielle that was feeling the pressure. The ally army was beginning to lose morale as well. Xena knew from experience that was never a good sign. Things were not looking good for any of them at the moment. As Xena and Gabrielle spoke, Ephiny entered the queen's tent.

EPHINY 
Gabrielle, Xena we've received word from the scouts. The enemy is on the move.

She handed Gabrielle a scroll with the information that the scouts had learned.

GABRIELLE 
Already? Damn it.

Gabrielle stood up after reading the message and gave it to Xena to look it over as well.

EPHINY 
They do seem to be regrouping fairly quickly after each fight.

XENA 
It's a good strategy. Don't give us time to rest. They certainly have the numbers for it.

EPHINY 
What should we do?

Xena put down the scroll and walked over a map that was spread out on the table. She looked it over and came up with an idea based on the intel they just received. After telling Ephiny what she had in mind, Ephiny left to spread word to the camp of what their next move was. As Xena stood over the table, Gabrielle walked over beside her.

GABRIELLE 
I'm gonna go wait near Argo.

XENA 
Alright. I'll be right out once I grab my stuff.

Before Gabrielle left, Xena pulled her close and held her for a moment.

XENA
We'll put an end to this soon.

Gabrielle leaned into Xena's embrace.

GABRIELLE 
I hope you're right Xena.

The two separated and Gabrielle left the tent. Entering queen mode and masking her fears, anxiety and fatigue as she left. Xena sighed as she watched the shift from her sweet bard, Gabrielle to the Amazon queen who she had come to see more and more of since the war began. Not that Xena didn't like to see Gabrielle take charge like this. Xena was more concerned about the toll that she knew it was taking on Gabrielle to have everything resting on her shoulders. Xena just hoped that this war would end soon. She moved from the table and grabbed her chakrum and placed it on her hip as she picked up her sword. She was just finishing hooking it on her back when Xena made a very unhappy growl.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Get lost. I don't have time for your nonsense.

Xena turned around as with a flash Ares, the god of war appeared. He smirked as he casually leaned against the table and folded his arms across his chest.

ARES
You know I will never not be impressed with your ability to tell when I'm around.

XENA 
Go away Ares. I'm too busy to deal with you right now.

ARES 
Ah yes with this whole Amazon war thing.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Why am I not surprised that you're involved in this.

ARES 
Well I am the god of war. It's kind of what I do.

Xena glared at him.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Why are you even here?

ARES 
I'm pretty sure we just covered that.

XENA
(Irritated tone) I'm in no mood for your games Ares. Why are you in this tent talking with me?

ARES 
Oh I just thought I'd offer my help in ensuring that your side wins this war. I'm well aware that things haven't exactly been going your way as of late. So here I am.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Help from you? Yeah not interested.

Ares pretended to be offended.

ARES 
Xena I'm hurt that you would turn down such a kind offer. Surely you aren't going to let your pride allow everyone around you to die. Oh and what about poor, poor Gabrielle.

Ares bringing up Gabrielle really got under Xena's skin. As he knew it would.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You have better watch it Ares. I'm warning you.

Ares smirked again.

ARES 
You are so hot when you're pissed off.

XENA 
Just as I thought. I suppose that's what you want in return for your help. Me.

ARES
Oh you're good. 

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Oh please it's always the same with you Ares. Get it through your thick skull. I'm not now nor will I ever be yours. I have no interest in becoming your little warrior queen or anything else that I know you have in mind. So I highly suggest that you get lost before I knock you back to Olympis myself.

Ares lost his grin seeing that he had once again failed to persuade Xena to his side. He stood up straight as he scowled at Xena.

ARES 
(Angry tone) You're making a very big mistake. Mark my words Xena by the time this is over you'll be wishing that you had accepted my offer.

At that moment Gabrielle came back into the tent.

GABRIELLE 
Xena we're waiting for.... Ares!

She scowled as the god glared at her for a brief moment and then smirked before looking back at Xena.

ARES 
(Angry tone) This isn't over Xena.

Before Xena or Gabrielle could respond, Ares disappeared with a small flash. Gabrielle walked over to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You okay?

Xena sighed as she calmed herself down and turned to face Gabrielle.

XENA 
Yeah I'm alright.

GABRIELLE 
Do I even need to ask what he wanted?

XENA
No. But that's not what's bothering me about him showing up.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean?

XENA
There was something else. Something he wasn't saying. I don't think that's the last time we're gonna see him before this is over.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Oh great that's just what we needed right now.

XENA 
Well whatever he's doing, we'll deal with him when the time comes. For now we have a battle to win. Come on.

Gabrielle walked back out of the tent and looked over shoulder at Xena who followed. Outside they met up with the others as they left camp and rode into the next battle.

ALANIS 
(Angry tone) There she is.

The Amazon stood over looking the field as she spotted Gabrielle riding in front of the army as she held on to Xena.

?
(Whisper) All of this is her fault. Once she's dead, the Amazon's will all be better off.

Alanis held her weapon ready as she looked around for the source of the voice but didn't see anyone.

ALANIS 
Who's there?

?
(Whisper) An ally who wants to see justice done.

ALANIS 
What do you want?

?
(Whisper) Only to help you win this war. And all you have to do is kill that so called queen and the rest will fall.

ALANIS 
Getting to her is going to be difficult.

?
(Whisper) Don't worry you'll get your shot. Just make sure that your ready when you do.

ALANIS 
I'll be ready.
(Angry tone) Count on it.

Just like that the voice was gone and Alanis moved towards the battlefield where the days fighting had already begun.

ALANIS 
(Angry tone) I'm coming for you, you little traitor. Gabrielle will die by my hands.

Pt.9

The air was filled with yells and the sounds of weapons clashing as the battle had gotten underway some time ago. Everyone on the battlefield was spread out as the women allied with Gabrielle fought off the enemy Amazon's. Xena yelled as she blocked an incoming spear strike with her sword and threw out her chakrum at another enemy Amazon coming her way. It sliced the woman's leg and she went down. Xena shoved the Amazon on her away as she caught her chakrum coming back and cut down the woman in front of her. She back flipped as she avoided another Amazon charging at her. Xena then spun as she kicked the weapon out of her attackers hand. Knocking up into the air and catching it as the weapon fell back to the earth. Undeterred the Amazon grabbed a dagger from her boot and lunged at Xena. Xena wasted no time and thrust her sword forward. The Amazon used her dagger to push Xena's blade away from hitting her as her dagger slid up the sword and came right for Xena. Xena quickly side stepped the strike and brought her own blade into an upwards swing, slicing the woman's back as she passed her. The Amazon fell as another enemy came at Xena. Meanwhile a few feet away, Gabrielle was fighting off her own opponent. She swept at the enemy Amazon's legs with her staff. The woman easily jumped over it and after landing used her own sword to swing down at Gabrielle. Gabrielle dodged, getting behind her and swung at the Amazon. The woman quickly brought her sword up behind her and blocked the hit. She pushed Gabrielle back as she turned to face her and took another swipe at Gabrielle. Gabrielle held up her staff as she blocked the hit. The enemy Amazon then kicked Gabrielle in her stomach. As Gabrielle was forced to drop her guard for a moment the enemy then swung her sword again. Gabrielle just managed to avoid the hit. But got hit with a well placed elbow into her side, causing Gabrielle to groan as she dropped the ground. She heard the enemy yell as she rolled to her back to see the woman lunging at her with her blade ready. Gabrielle waited until her opponent was just about to strike and put up both her feet into the woman's stomach and pushed up as the enemies own momentum help carry her up and over Gabrielle. As she landed on the ground above Gabrielle, Gabrielle quickly stood and turned around. Just as the enemy Amazon was getting up, the woman felt a hard shot to her head as Gabrielle whacked the Amazon with her staff. Gabrielle huffed as the enemy Amazon dropped unconscious.

XENA 
Behind you Gabrielle.

Hearing Xena's warning, Gabrielle moved as Xena jumped forward and burried her sword into an enemy that was about to hit Gabrielle from behind. 

GABRIELLE 
Thanks. 

The two moved to stand back to back as they continued to fight. Aways off Clover yelled as she threw a punch and knocked out an enemy Amazon as her fist cracked against the other woman's jaw. Hearing an enemy coming up behind her, Clover sent her foot back and kicked out the enemy Amazon's knee. Making her drop to the dirt as she got another hard kick to the side of her head and blacked out. Clover then let her battle axe fly into the chest of another enemy heading her way and went off to retrieve her weapon. Meanwhile Kai jumped at an enemy and sunk her dagger into the woman's stomach as they both went down from Kai's momentum. She pulled out her blade as she looked over to see another enemy Amazon right on her. The woman stabbed at Kai with her spear. Unable to completely dodge, the spear head cut Kai's forearm, leaving a good sized gash. Kai's short fuse was already lit and that strike really got her blood boiling. She saw red as she lunged forward, grabbing the enemy Amazon by the throat and preceded to beat the living daylights out of the woman as she rained down her fists until she was a bloodied, unconscious mess. Once done Kai set her sights on a couple of enemies nearby and still fuming, ran right at them with an angry yell. The battle waged on as Skyla ducked out of the way of an enemy Amazon's blade as she rolled forward and snatched up a fallen bow and arrow as still kneeling, she quickly turned as she drew back the bowstring and fired. The arrow flew and hit it's mark, dead center in the enemy's chest. The woman fell back dead as Skyla grabbed a few more arrows off the ground and stood up. She held the arrows between her teeth as she ran and fired at the enemy. Dropping them one by one as she came across them.

IRIS 
On your left Fauna.

Fauna blocked the hit that Iris warned her about. As Iris swept out the enemy's legs from behind and as the woman fell, Fauna came at her from the front with a dagger and drove it into the woman's flesh. Taking down another enemy. Iris then moved in and dropped another with a swing of her sword slicing into the enemy Amazon's midsection as she pulled her blade and turned to cut into another. Up ahead Amarice brought up her two daggers and blocked a sword strike from the enemy. She shoved the woman back and ran in to attack before the Amazon could recover. She spun and kicked her opponent in her ribs. But as she hit, the Amazon caught Amarice's leg.

AMARICE 
Uh oh.

The enemy elbowed her in the face and let go of her leg as Amarice stumbled back holding her cheek. The woman moved in and Amarice dodged and countered. She attacked with one dagger and the enemy Amazon blocked. However she was wide open when Amarice drove her second dagger into her opponent's side and pulled out her weapon as the woman dropped. Across the battlefield Valassca was fighting off a couple opponents with ease. She took down one then ran up and drove her sword into another. Not far off Ephany blocked a hit and launched her own attack. She suddenly stopped and quickly dodged an Amazon that had come at her from the side. She ran her blade through the woman and pulled her sword out just in time to block another strike. She pushed back and cut down that opponent as well. The ground was painted crimson with the blood of Amazons, both friend and foe as bodies layed scattered across the battlefield. Xena pulled her sword out of another fallen enemy Amazon as she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

?
(Angry tone) You...

Xena turned around and saw Nova standing a few feet away from her and Gabrielle. Gabrielle was about to step forward when Xena beat her to it.

XENA 
Keep the others off me if you can Gabrielle. I'll handle her.

GABRIELLE 
Got it.

Nova sneered at Xena as she walked towards her and Gabrielle.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) You really think you're something special don't you warrior princess?

Xena held her sword ready as Nova readied her own.

NOVA 
(Angry tone) I don't even know why you're fighting in this war. You're not even an Amazon. You have no place here.

Nova looked past Xena for a moment as she saw Gabrielle.

NOVA 
Oh right. I forgot that you're fucking her. I guess the two of you are perfect for each other. The murderous warlord and the traitorous queen.

Xena didn't say anything about Nova's comment as she slowly stepped closer. But her eyes stared daggers at the woman in front of her.

NOVA 
You're really not much for conversation are you?

XENA
(Cold tone) No.

NOVA 
Good I was done talking anyway.

Nova yelled as she ran at Xena with her spear. Xena stood ready. But was taking off guard when before Nova came within reach, the Amazon pointed the tip of her spear down and stuck it into the ground. Launching herself over Xena and landed behind her. Nova immediately spun around and thrust her spear at Xena's back. Xena side stepped as the spear passed by her. She grabbed the pole under the blade and drove the handle back into Nova's midsection and then yanked it forward out of the Amazons grasp. Xena tossed the spear down and turned to face Nova. The woman sneered at Xena as she began to slowly walk around her.

NOVA 
You think taking my spear away puts me at a disadvantage? I don't need a weapon in order to fight Xena.

Nova ran in and threw a series of punches and kicks that kept Xena on guard as she blocked or deflected the hits. After a bit Xena ducked under a roundhouse kick and countered by bringing her sword down in an overhead swing. Nova quickly brought up her hands and caught Xena's blade flat between ber palms. Before Xena could pull away, Nova pushed Xena's sword back and it slipped from Xena's hands. Sending the bottom of her sword into Xena's face. Momentarily stunned, Xena backed away as she shook off the blow and wiped the bit of blood from her lip. She scowled as she refocused on Nova who threw Xena's sword off to the side.

XENA 
Hand to hand is fine with me.

The two launched themselves at each other. Both throwing out punches and kicks. With some being blocked and others finding their mark. Xena landed a punch to Nova's face as the Amazon nailed Xena with a kick to her side. Forcing both to back off slightly as they each grabbed at the effected area. Both women took the opening to grab their weapons. As Xena was picking up her sword she heard Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
Xena look out!

Xena looked up and saw Nova launching herself at her. She was already too close for Xena to react as Nova crashed into her. Tackling Xena to the ground. However they just happened to be on the top of a good sized hill and the two tumbled down to the bottom. Once they came to a stop, Xena and Nova both got back to their feet and stood ready to continue. From atop the large hill Gabrielle looked on and was about to run down when she was grabbed from behind. She tried to scream but quickly had her mouth covered and a blade pushed against her throat.

ALANIS 
(Sinister tone) There you are Gabrielle. I've been looking for you.

Alanis dragged Gabrielle away from where Xena was still fighting Nova. Leaving Xena unaware that Gabrielle was no longer nearby.

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

Back to the Academy