INTO THE DARKNESS

 

by True T 159

When Xena's past dark side re-emerges. Gabrielle has to find a way to bring the good Xena back.

The sun was setting over the horizon, painting the sky a mariot of colors. A soothing calm set in as dusk fell onto the quiet valley below. Xena and Gabrielle had just finished settling up camp for the night.

          

GABRIELLE

There all set. So what's for dinner?

Xena shrugged, as she sat there sharpening her sword.

              

XENA

What do we have packed.

Gabrielle went over to the satchel they kept their food in.

          

GABRIELLE

Uh Xena..

She pulled out one small piece of bread.

         

GABRIELLE

I seem to remember telling you at the last village we were in, that we needed more food.

               

XENA

Yea, I thought you were getting it.

           

GABRIELLE

(annoyed) I was busy getting the other things we needed. That's why I mentioned it to you.

                

XENA

Sorry.

Xena continued sharpening her sword. Gabrielle tossed the piece of bread at her head. Xena gave her a questioning look.

           

GABRIELLE

Dinner?

                

XENA

Alright, alright.

Xena got up and went to find them something to eat. Gabrielle sat for a while, poking at the campfire as she waited for Xena to return. Out of bordum she looked up at the sky, seeing the dark clouds as they began to roll in.

          

GABRIELLE

 (thinking to herself) I hope Xena gets back soon, it looks like it's gonna rain.

Meanwhile Xena had just finished fishing out their dinner and was heading back to camp. Suddenly there was a loud crack of thunder. Xena looked up, seeing the storm brewing overhead. She hurried back to their camp and saw Gabrielle was already packing up.

             

GABRIELLE

I really hope there's some shelter around here. 

                 

XENA

Yea, let's get moving.

They set of to find some place to hunker down until the storm passed. Just as they were leaving, the rain began to fall, pouring down on them. Xena and Gabrielle ran through the rain as they searched for shelter from the storm. Xena went ahead to scout. As she searched, she spotted a cave. She waited for Gabrielle to catch up.

               

XENA

There's a cave up ahead. We can stay there while we wait out the storm.

Xena and Gabrielle quickly made their way to the cave. Once inside, they sat down to rest. 

           

GABRIELLE

Just our luck, we just finish setting up camp and it starts raining.

Xena held up the fish she caught.

                

XENA

Well, I got dinner.

Gabrielle couldn't help but laugh at Xena's nonchalant comment. They got a fire going, cooked their food and ate. 

              

XENA

We should probably get out of these wet clothes, don't wanna catch a cold.

           

GABRIELLE

(smirking) Right, I'm sure that's the only reason.

Xena just chuckled as she got up and fetched a dry few blankets from their pack. Meanwhile Gabrielle began to undress and hang her wet clothes near the fire to dry. Xena came back over and handed her a blanket. Then Xena spread another one out on the ground. Gabrielle wrapped the blanket around her as she went and sat on the one Xena spead out. She watched as Xena got out of her wet clothes and hung them up. Xena glanced over at her and smiled.

                 

XENA

You look like you're enjoying the sights.

            

GABRIELLE

Maybe I am.

Xena raised an eyebrow.

                

XENA

Then maybe I'll join you in that blanket.

Xena walked over to her. Gabrielle opened her blanket. Xena grabbed one end of blanket as she sat beside Gabrielle, wrapping it around the two of them. Xena put her arm around Gabrielle, as  Gabrielle rested her head on Xena's shoulder. Xena began to gently stroke her short blonde hair. They happily sat by the fire that way for a bit. Then Xena reached up with her other hand, lifting Gabrielle's face to hers and gently kissed her. 

                 

XENA

I love you.

              

GABRIELLE

I love you too Xena.

Gabrielle smiled and returned the favor. 

               

XENA

(smirking) Well now you've done it.

Xena kissed Gabrielle again as she layed her down. She began running her hand down her body. Gabrielle shuddered with anticipation as she felt her desire building. 

             

GABRIELLE

 Xe-na.

Xena slowly made her way down Gabrielle's torso with light passionate kisses, until she reached Gabrielle's womanhood. Xena looked up at  her as Gabrielle gave her a smile and that was all Xena needed. She preceded to enter Gabrielle. Gabrielle let out a small gasp as Xena preceded with her task. It didn't take long before the cave was filled with the echoes of Gabrielle, as she cried out Xena's name in pleasure. While Xena took her to the peak of extacy. When done, Xena layed beside Gabrielle, pulling the blanket, covering the two of them. Gabrielle smiled as she turned to her side, hugging Xena, kissing her. Then Gabrielle gently traced her hand down Xena's chest and stomach until she found her entrance. Xena leaned in and kissed her as she felt Gabrielle push into her.

                    

XENA

Gabrielle.

Xena moaned as Gabrielle began to work. Soon enough Xena was reaching her own pinnacle. She moaned as she felt herself becoming lost in the high of the moment. After Xena regained her composer she wrapped her arms around Gabrielle, pulling her close. They kissed, then Gabrielle snuggled up next to Xena and began to drift off.

             

GABRIELLE

I love you Xena.

Xena gave a soft smile as Gabrielle fell asleep in her arms. She gently kissed the top of Gabrielle's head. Then Xena herself, drifted off to sleep. Before too long, morning came. Gabrielle awoke to see Xena awake and dressed, sitting by the fire. She smiled Xena as she sat up, stretching.

               

GABRIELLE

Good morning.

                   

XENA

Well I wouldn't say that.

Xena gestured towards the cave entrance. Gabrielle saw that the storm from the night before hadn't let up. She got up, put on her dry clothes and sat beside Xena.

              

GABRIELLE

So I guess we're staying here for a while.

                  

XENA

It looks that way.

They sat for a while as they waited for the storm to pass.

              

GABRIELLE

It doesn't look like this rains letting up any time soon. So what are we gonna do till then?

Xena shrugged.

                 

XENA

Not much we can do, but wait.

Gabrielle signed as she leaned on Xena's shoulder. They sat in silence for a bit. Then Xena began to get up.

             

GABRIELLE

Something wrong?

                 

XENA

No, everything's fine.I just need to move around a bit.

              

GABRIELLE

Your not exactly used to sitting around, doing nothing.

Gabrielle stood up too, and began just idlely looking around. She tried to see deeper into the cave, but it was too dark.

              

GABRIELLE

Wonder what's down there.

Xena picked up a small branch they had for fire wood. She made a torch and walked over to Gabrielle.

           

XENA

Let's find out. 

With that Xena and Gabrielle ventured deeper into the cave. As they explored they stumbled upon a small group of raiders, who were not to happy to see Xena.

             

BANDIT

It's Xena! Get her!

The raiders drew their weapons and changed Xena and Gabrielle. The two of them ready themselves for a fight. As the battle ensued the raiders realized they were outmatched. They decided to cut their losses, take their loot and run. Xena and Gabrielle gave chase. They figured the raiders had stolen stuff from the nearby villages. As the raiders fleed, they split up to try and lose their pursuers. Both Xena and Gabrielle split up as well, confident they could take their respective opponents. Finally after some chasing, Xena cornered the raiders she was tracking. 

                     

XENA

What's wrong, out of places to run?

With no options left, the bandits tried to fight Xena. But they were no match and Xena easily took them out. With the bandits taken care of, Xena gathered up the things they stole and went to find Gabrielle. Xena walked through the cave searching for where Gabrielle's fight might have taken her.

                  

XENA

Gabrielle?

As she looked, Xena saw an odd glow coming from a corridor of the cave. Thinking Gabrielle may have seen this, Xena decided to check to see if she was in there. Meanwhile unknown to Xena, Gabrielle had finished her opponents and was looking for her. Xena followed the strange glow and came to a small open area. She saw a fountain embedded into the cave wall. She was about to turn and leave, when she heard someone call her. Cautiously, Xena approached the fountain. She peered into the fountain, seeing her reflection in the water. Xena heard someone call her.

                    

?

Xena.

Not recognizing the voice, Xena looked away to see who was calling her. Suddenly she felt something grab her and pull her in. She struggled to fight back, but it was no use. Before she could do anything, Xena had been pulled into the fountain. The next thing she knew, Xena was in some dark place. She quickly stood up and looked around, but didn't see anything. It just looked like a dark void. Suddenly she heard someone calling her again.  

                   

?

Xena.

She looked around for whoever was calling her, but couldn't see anything.

                    

?

Hello Xena.

Xena turned towards the voice. She was taken off guard when she saw that the one who speaking to her was, herself.

- FADE TO BLACK-

                  

Xena stood face to face with an exact image of herself.

                  

XENA

Who are you?

The copy gave a sinister smile.

           

OTHER XENA

Come on, don't tell me you can't recognize yourself?

Xena drew her sword.

                 

XENA

I don't have time for this. Tell me who you really are. And what is this place?

            

OTHER XENA

I already told you, I'm you. Or rather that dark part of you. The part that you locked away so long ago.

                  

XENA

Lies. I'm not that person anymore.

            

EVIL XENA

Maybe not on the outside. But there's a small piece of everyone that holds all of their darkest, most evil impulses and desires. And people who act on those desires make their darkness grow. Which leads them to do more evil deeds, thus feeding the dark within. Fueling an endless cycle of darkness. 

                  

XENA

If that were true, I'd still be acting on my darkness.

             

EVIL XENA

Even if someone stops committing evil deeds.That dark side of them still lingers. And no matter how deep they might bury it. It's forever a large part of them. Always there, waiting to find it's way back to the surface. And when it does, it's oh so easy to once again take hold over those people. People like you.

                 

XENA

I'm done listening to this.

Xena turned to walk away and find a way out of wherever she was. When she did, there in front of her once again stood her evil self. Not wanting to waste more time, Xena turned around and began to walk in the opposite direction.

               

EVIL XENA

You can't escape me Xena.

The evil Xena popped up in Xena's path again. Xena swung her sword, but as she did, her evil counterpart vanished with an evil laugh. She looked around and saw nothing. Xena once again turned to find her way out of the dark void. When she did, there her evil self stood again.

               

EVIL XENA

I swear turning good must've made you stupid. I am the manifestation of the evil inside you. And no matter how hard you try, you can't escape or defeat me. 

Xena stood there ready to fight as the evil Xena began circling her.

                   

XENA

What do you want?

             

EVIL XENA

My freedom. I want control again.

                   

XENA

Sorry, but that's not gonna happen.

             

EVIL XENA

Oh I know you would never willingly let me back out. But that fountain you found connects the outside world to a person's subconscious evil. It can act as a portal of sorts, allowing that evil part of them to manifest in the outside world.

                   

XENA

Alright, then why are you still in here?

             

EVIL XENA

That's simple. Sience we are two parts of one whole, we can't both exist at the same time out there. Which is why in you have to stay here, in the subconscious. So I once again walk freely on the outside.

                

XENA

If that's the case, then all I have to do is get out here before you.

The evil Xena smirked.

              

EVIL XENA

You can try, but you seem to be forgetting one thing.

                  

XENA

And what would that be?

                

EVIL XENA

Unlike you, I know this place. So how do you plan on beating me to the exit.

With that Xena's evil self let out an evil laugh as she disappeared. Leaving Xena looking around for where she could've gone. Realizing she was no longer there, Xena took off to find her way out. She knew she had to stop her evil side from getting free. Xena ran through the corridors, as she tried to reach the exit before the dark part of her did. As she made her way through the mysterious maze like place. Finally far ahead Xena saw her dark side as she turned a corner. She continued chasing after her. As Xena rounded the corner, she saw that her evil self had reached the fountain.

                   

XENA

I won't let you out of here!

Xena grabbed her chakrum and flung it towards her evil side. But without flinching Xena's dark side caught it. She glanced back at Xena and gave her an evil smile. Then she threw the chakrum to the ground as she pushed through the barrier, coming up from the fountain on the other side. Xena quickly ran up to the barrier and tried to force her way through. She pushed and pounded against it, but nothing happened. She drew her sword and tried to cut her way to freedom. But all her sword did was bounce off the barrier. Xena was trapped. Outside, in the real world, evil Xena was looking around the room. Taking a moment to relish in her newly regained freedom. As she idlely strolled around the room, Gabrielle walked into the corridor.

          

GABRIELLE

There you are Xena. I've been looking all over for you.

The evil Xena turned to her and smiled.

           

EVIL XENA

I was looking for you, Gabrielle.

Xena's evil self knew everything that Xena knew. Despite being locked away, she was still conscious. So she knew exactly who Gabrielle was.

           

GABRIELLE

So I take it you got those raiders.

      

EVIL XENA

Of course.

Meanwhile Xena could see outside the barrier. She saw Gabrielle talking to her evil counterpart. She pounded on the barrier.

              

XENA

Gabrielle! 

But Gabrielle couldn't hear her. The evil Xena sneakily glanced over to the fountain, as Gabrielle was talking to her. She saw Xena inside behind the barrier. Gabrielle hadn't noticed her yet.

          

EVIL XENA

Well, it seems like we took care of all the raiders. Why don't we get out of here.

           

GABRIELLE

Yea, I'm sure that storms let up by now.

          

EVIL XENA

Alright then. Let's go.

With that Gabrielle unknowingly left with the evil Xena. Inside the fountain there was nothing Xena could do. But watch as her dark self walked away with Gabrielle. A feeling of dread washed over Xena, as she thought about the kinds of terror that was about to be unleashed. But it would be far worse than she could imagine. Xena failed to realize that even during her dark past, there was still good in her. But what had just walked out with Gabrielle, was nothing but 100% pure evil.

- FADE TO BLACK-

Xena was trapped inside the dark void of her own subconscious. She tried with all her might to force her way through the barrier of the mysterious fountain. But unfortunately nothing she did worked. Finally realizing her efforts were in vain, Xena decided to look around. She figured she might find something that could possibly help her escape.

               

XENA

(thinking to herself) Hopefully Gabrielle will notice somethings not right and stop my dark side before anything happens. 

Meanwhile Gabrielle was unknowingly traveling with Xena's evil  side.

            

GABRIELLE

Xena, is everything okay?

          

EVIL XENA

Yea, why?

         

GABRIELLE

You just seem quiet, even for you.

The evil Xena smiled at Gabrielle.

             

EVIL XENA

I'm fine. Just a little tired is all.

            

GABRIELLE

Oh, okay. So where are we heading anyway.

             

EVIL XENA

Well we're pretty much out of food. As you made sure to mention that I forgot last night.

           

GABRIELLE

(joking tone) Oh now you remember.

They made their way to the nearest village. Once in the village Gabrielle decided to take a upon herself to get some of the food. So while she was off shopping, Xena's dark side walked around looking at the vendors. As she strolled by one of the stalls, she grabbed an apple. Taking a bite out of it, she just kept on walking.

              

VENDOR

Hey, you gotta pay for that.

         

EVIL XENA

Nah.

She continued to walk away.

              

VENDOR

Either pay for it or I'm calling the guards.

The Evil Xena stopped and turned towards him.

          

EVIL XENA

Alright fine. I'll give it back!

She then chucked the apple at the vendor, nailing him right in the face. This sent him stumbling backwards. Causing him to trip over his cart and come crashing to the ground, scattering his produce everywhere. 

               

VENDOR

You witch, look what you've done!

              

EVIL XENA

Woops. You shouldn't have made such a big deal over one little applie.

This enraged the vendor and he began yelling at her. Gabrielle, hearing the commotion came to the scene.

              

GABRIELLE

What's going on, Xena?

              

EVIL XENA

This man is accusing me of stealing.

Gabrielle looked at the man and the over turned cart.

           

GABRIELLE

There must be some sort of misunderstanding. Xena wouldn't do such a thing.

            

VENDOR

There is no misunderstanding. That woman stole from me and then assaulted me when I said I was calling the guards.

The evil Xena snickered.

          

EVIL XENA

Please if I assaulted you, you'd be in far worse shape.

Gabrielle turned to who she thought was the Xena she knew.

          

GABRIELLE

Xena what's he talking about? 

          

EVIL XENA

Gabrielle, you don't actually believe him do you? Why would I do this over a piece of fruit?

          

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) She has a point. This man must just be confused.

Gabrielle knelt down and began picking up the scattered items. The vendor stood up.

              

VENDOR

Just get out of here.

Gabrielle stood back up and handed him what she picked up.

       

GABRIELLE

Sorry for the mess.

She then looked at "Xena", hinting at her to apologize.

         

EVIL XENA

(lying) Oh, sorry.

Xena's dark side turned and began to leave.

        

EVIL XENA

Come on Gabrielle.

        

GABRIELLE

Right.

Gabrielle grabbed the stuff she bought and followed Xena's dark side out of town. They walked down the road for a while.Until they saw some farmers being attacked. Gabrielle instinctively raced towards the conflict to help. She got there and began fighting off the raiders. Meanwhile Xena's dark side took her time catching up to her. By the time she got there, Gabrielle had a good portion of the raiders out. The evil Xena drew her sword and began ruthlessly cutting down the raiders. Enjoying the rush that spilling blood gave her. She slayed anything that came near her. After the battle, Gabrielle went to check on the farmers. After she ensured they were unharmed, she went to leave.

        

FARMER

Wait, please take this.

The farmer went to hand her some Denars.

       

GABRIELLE

Oh, that's okay. There's no need for that. We're happy to help.

       

EVIL XENA

Speak for yourself.

Xena's dark side walked up held out her hand for payment. 

     

GABRIELLE

Xena!?

The farmer gave her some coins. She glanced down at them in a way that implied it wasn't enough.

       

FARMER

Oh, forgive me.

He then handed her the whole pouch that he had. The evil Xena lightly tossed the pouch up and down, inspecting the weight and deciding if it was enough to satisfy her.

      

EVIL XENA

Good enough.

With that she began to walk away. Gabrielle caught up to her.

      

GABRIELLE

Why did you take his money?

       

EVIL XENA

He wanted to pay us.

    

GABRIELLE

Yea but when he did you asked for more. Not to mention taking any sort of payment is unlike you.

       

EVIL XENA- 

We were almost out of money. Especially after all stuff you bought. 

      

GABRIELLE

Wait what?!

       

EVIL XENA

Relax Gabrielle, I was just joking. If it really bothers you, I'll give it back.

      

GABRIELLE

No, it's okay. Besides I guess you're right. We could use the money. 

As they were leaving one of the raiders got up and began to hobble away. Xena's dark side noticed. She quickly caught up and grabbed him from behind.

     

EVIL XENA

Oh no, you're not going anywhere.

She put her hold on him.

   

EVIL XENA

I cut off the flow of blood to your brain..

     

RAIDER

I'll be dead unless you release it. I've heard all about it. Now what do you want?

     

EVIL XENA

(whisper) No survivers.

      

RAIDER

Wait, please.

The raider struggled as blood began coming from his nose. He tried to fight but he could feel himself getting weaker. The evil Xena watched as the life drained from the raider. Until finally he stopped struggling and went limp. She let him go and he fell to the ground, dead. Noticing Xena wasn't right behind her, Gabrielle had turned to see what was holding her up. She saw as the raider fell from "Xena's" arms. Gabrielle raced back to her.

     

GABRIELLE

What happened?

     

EVIL XENA

He got up and was charging towards you.

Gabrielle noticed there weren't any fatal stab wounds. Then she saw the blood coming from his nose.

     

GABRIELLE

Why did you put your hold on him?

EVIL XENA

I'm sorry was the way I saved you not good enough?

     

GABRIELLE

It's not that. It just seems like it would've been easier to use your sword.

    

EVIL XENA

Are you telling me how to fight now?

     

GABRIELLE

Well no, but.. Hey what's your problem today?

     

EVIL XENA

My problem?

     

GABRIELLE

Yea you seem even moodier than normal. 

The dark Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder.

    

EVIL XENA

I'm sorry Gabrielle. I think I'm just having a bad day. How 'bout we go set up camp and get some rest.

Gabrielle patted her hand and smiled.

     

GABRIELLE

OK, let's go.

That night as Gabrielle layed beside "Xena", she couldn't help but feel like something wasn't right.

     

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) Xena's been acting strange. She seems colder and more distant. The way she acted at market, then with the farmer and those raiders.

Gabrielle rolled over and looked at the woman sleeping next to her.

     

GABRIELLE

Xena what's going on with you?

- FADE TO BLACK-

The air was filled with the quiet sounds of the early morning. Gabrielle's concerns over Xena's recent behavior filled her mind. She tried to relax and get some rest, but her efforts seemed to be in vain. In an attempt to feel some sort of comfort, Gabrielle instinctively snuggled up close to "Xena", laying her arm over her. Feeling this Xena's evil self woke up and automatically pushed her arm away as she sat up.

       

GABRIELLE

Xena, it's just me.

      

EVIL XENA

Oh, you startled me.

      

GABRIELLE

Sorry.

Xena's evil side layed back down. Gabrielle reached for her again, when again she was pushed away.

GABRIELLE

Xena what's wrong?

       

EVIL XENA

Nothing.

       

GABRIELLE

Did I do something to upset you?

      

EVIL XENA

Yea, you woke me up. Now leave me alone.

With that the evil Xena scooted away from her and went back to sleep. Gabrielle felt hurt. Xena had never done that before. Gabrielle turned her back to her and layed there in silence, unable to sleep. During this time the good Xena was still searching for a way to regain control of her body and once again lock away her evil side. As she explored the corridors of her mind her thoughts turned to Gabrielle. She knew with everything her dark self was saying and doing, that Gabrielle must be hurt and confused.

            

XENA

Gabrielle.

Meanwhile Gabrielle who was still laying there, unable to get any sleep. Suddenly she heard Xena whisper her name. Figuring she was awake, Gabrielle turned towards her.

        

GABRIELLE

Hey Xena can we talk?

Then she noticed that she was still asleep. But needing to get things off her chest, Gabrielle decided to talk to the sleeping Xena anyway.

         

GABRIELLE

Xena I don't know what's wrong. I wish you would talk to me. There's something going on with you, and I'm worried. If I did something wrong or to upset you, I'm sorry. It's just that you're not acting like yourself. At least not the Xena I know. The Xena I love.

Xena while in her subconscious, heard everything that Gabrielle was saying. Her heart broke to hear so much pain in Gabrielle's voice.

             

XENA

Gabrielle, I'm sorry. I'm trying to find a way back. Just hold on a little longer.

Gabrielle sat up and looked down at Xena.

       

GABRIELLE

What?  

Once again she saw Xena was still asleep. Gabrielle lightly nudged the evil Xena awake.

     

GABRIELLE

Xena. Xena, wake up.

Xena's dark side glared over at her.

      

EVIL XENA

What!

      

GABRIELLE

You were talking in your sleep.

       

EVIL XENA

So what.

      

GABRIELLE

It's just you were apologizing. Saying something about finding your way back And holding on a little longer.

     

EVIL XENA

(annoyed tone) Well obviously I was just having a dream.

In a huff, she sat up.

     

EVIL XENA

Well I guess I'm up now. 

She stood up and grabbed the blanket she was laying on.

    

EVIL  XENA

Come on. Pack up and let's get going.

      

GABRIELLE

Now? But it's so early.

The evil Xena gave her an irritated look.

      

EVIL XENA

You're clearly not sleeping anyway. So come on. Or you can stay here. Your choice. I really don't care.

     

GABRIELLE

What do you mean, you don't care if I go with you or not?

    

EVIL XENA

Exactly what I said. I, don't, care.

Those words hurt Gabrielle deeply. But now she was also getting really angry and annoyed with "Xena's" behavior.

    

GABRIELLE

Alright Xena I don't know what your problems been. But I'm getting really tired of your attitude. So if you don't want to tell me what's going on, fine. But don't take it out on me.

With that Gabrielle stormed off as she whipped away her tears of both pain and anger. Xena's dark side just shrugged as she watched Gabrielle walk away.

     

EVIL XENA

She's a real pain anyway.

Meanwhile Xena in her subconscious witnessed what had just transfired. Her heart weighed heavy to see Gabrielle so upset. And possibly thinking that Xena didn't care for her anymore. 

             

XENA

(Thinking to herself) I need to find a way out of here, and set things right.

Then she thought of something.

             

XENA

(Thinking to herself) Wait, Gabrielle heard me. But how?

                          

Xena thought for a moment. Then it hit her.

           

XENA

(Thinking to herself) Of course sometimes some of aperson's subconscious can come out while there conscious self is asleep. Meaning I have away to communicate with Gabrielle from in here. Now all I have to do wait for Gabrielle to calm down and come back. Then when the dark part of myself goes to sleep, I can explain everything to Gabrielle. Hopefully she'll believe me and listen. So we can fix this.

Xena looked up spoke out loud, as if speaking directly to Gabrielle's heart.

             

XENA

Please Gabrielle, just come back. I need you.

- FADE TO BLACK-

After storming off upset from the exchange between herself and who she thought was the Xena she knew. Gabrielle walked along, thinking to herself. Completely baffled by the recent changes she had seen in Xena's personality. She found quite spot to sit and think. As she tried to decide what to do.

          

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) Why would Xena say those things? There must be some reason she's acting so differently. Is she trying to protect me from something by driving me away? 

Gabrielle scrapped that theory. Deciding it didn't make sense. Xena had tried shielding her from things before. But she never acted like this. She continued pondering "Xena's" recent actions.

         

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) I know Something's not not right. Xena's not herself. I need to find what happened, to make her acting like this. I have to help her.

Gabrielle turned and walked back to camp. She felt disappointed with herself. How could she have left Xena's side. When Xena clearly needed help. When Gabrielle returned, she was relieved to see that Xena was still there. She was sitting there sharpening her sword. Gabrielle went and sat beside her. The evil Xena glared over at her as she continued working on her sword.

        

EVIL XENA

(thinking to herself sarcastically) Great she's back.

Gabrielle sat quietly for a few moments, as she searched for the right words to say. After gathering her thoughts, she turned to who she thought was her Xena.

         

GABRIELLE

Look Xena, I don't know what you've been going through. But I want you to know that I'm here.

          

EVIL XENA

What makes you think I'm going through anything

        

GABRIELLE

You're kidding right? Ever since we left that cave, you've been acting completely different.

         

EVIL XENA

So what.

          

GABRIELLE

So what ever it is, you can tell me.

         

EVIL XENA

Everything's fine Gabrielle.

         

GABRIELLE

Come on, something happened didn't it?

Xena's dark side stood up.

          

EVIL XENA

(angry tone) Look I already told you, nothing happened. Now drop it.

        

GABRIELLE

please will you just talk to me.

The evil Xena stared down at Gabrielle.

         

EVIL XENA

I'm warning you Gabrielle. Let it go.

The look she received sent chills down Gabrielle's spine. The blue eyes that were filled with love, kindness and compassion. Where now just icey, cold and had a darkness behind them that she had never seen before. Feeling uncomfortable, Gabrielle looked away.

         

GABRIELLE

Ok Xena.

Gabrielle decided not to pursue her line of questioning. At least not at that time. Though Gabrielle was determined to figure out what was going on. Xena's dark side stood up and began walking off. 

         

GABRIELLE

Hey, wait up.

Gabrielle followed, keeping a little bit of distance between them. She figured she could observe "Xena" for any sort of clues that could help her. As they traveled, they came to a busy town. Gabrielle followed Xena's dark side into a tavern. They walked up to the crowded bar.

        

GABRIELLE

Looks like it's full. I'll get a table.

         

EVIL XENA- You can do whatever you want. I'm sitting at the bar

She grabbed one of the men sitting at the counter, dragged him off his seat and sat down. Motioning to the bartender for a drink. 

      

BAR PATRON

What the? I was sitting there.

        

EVIL XENA

And now I am. Now get lost.

     

BAR PATRON

Who do you think you are?!

       

EVIL XENA

You'll find out unless you don't get out of here.

     

BAR PATRON

What did you say?!

He grabbed her shoulder. Xena's dark side looked at his hand. Gabrielle could feel the tension in the air.

      

GABRIELLE

Xena wait a....

But before Gabrielle could finish, Xena's evil self grabbed his arm and flipped him over her shoulder. Slamming him onto the bar. Breaking glasses and knocking stuff all over. Making a complete mess. Obviously the bartender wasn't happy about this.

       

BARTENDER

Alright take it outside!

Xena evil doppelganger looked at the bartender, giving him a devilish smile.

          

EVIL XENA

You want some too?

Gabrielle tried to intervene, but it was too late. Xena's dark side grabbed the bartenders hair and smacked his face off the counter, breaking his nose. Other bar goers stepped in to try and stop the commotion. But soon enough things had broken down into a full on bar fight. Xena's evil self laughed, as she enjoyed the brawl. Then one of the bar patrons grabbed a chair and broke it over her back, knocking her to the ground.

         

EVIL XENA

Gah!

Gabrielle saw the smile leave her face and turn to a scowl. She got a terrible feeling as she watched "Xena" get back up. The evil Xena drew her sword and trust it behind her, driving it deep into the bar patrons stomach. Time seemed to slow as Gabrielle watched the woman she thought she knew needlessly cut a man's life short. She looked at "Xena" and not only did she not see any shread of remorse. What she saw was a look of pure bliss. Gabrielle felt her heart sink. Then she saw "Xena" turn her attention to the other patrons.

         

GABRIELLE

Xena stop! What are you doing?!

Gabrielle quickly got between the evil Xena and the rest of the bar goers. 

          

GABRIELLE

These are innocent people.

        

EVIL XENA

Innocent? HE attacked me.

         

GABRIELLE

With a chair. There was no need to kill him.

        

EVIL XENA

I kill people all the time. Since when do you have a problem with that?

          

GABRIELLE

What? You and I both know that is not the same thing.

Gabrielle looked at the woman standing before her.

          

GABRIELLE

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Xena's evil side turned and began walking away.

           

EVIL XENA

Maybe you never did.

- FADE TO BLACK-

The evil Xena walked out of the tavern. She scanned her surroundings, looking for another fight. Killing the man in the bar had fueled her blood lust. Gabrielle followed behind her.

            

EVIL XENA

Now I'm ready to really have some fun.

One of the bar patrons ran out of the tavern, wanting to get away from the scene he had witnessed. As he raced outside he banged right into the evil Xena. He fell to the ground. Then he looked up and saw who he had run into. Xena's dark side slowly turned her head and glared down at him.

         

BAR PATRON

I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me.

The evil Xena turned towards him and Clenched her sword tighter.

          

EVIL XENA

Weither I hurt you or not depends on how quickly you die.

The bar patron frantically crawled backwards as Xena's evil self slowly walked towards him.

         

BAR PATRON

No, please.

The dark Xena had a sickening evil smile on her face as she raised her sword preparing for the kill. 

         

GABRIELLE

Xena stop!

Gabrielle quickly drew her sais and put herself between "Xena" and the bar patron. She blocked the evil Xena's strike.

        

GABRIELLE

What are you doing?!

The evil Xena began pushing back at Gabrielle.

        

EVIL XENA

Why can't you just stay out of my way?!

During this time the bar patron took the opportunity to try to escape. He scrambled to his feet and began running away. Xena's evil self noticed. While still locked with Gabrielle, she took out her chakrum and threw it at him. Gabrielle couldn't do anything as the chakrum flew through the air and imbedded itself into the man's back. And he collapsed the ground, dead. Gabrielle felt a mix of pain and anger.

        

GABRIELLE

No! 

She pushed "Xena's" sword away and stared her down.

        

EVIL XENA

Oh look who's finally got some fight in her.

      

GABRIELLE

I don't know what happened to you, but I'm not gonna let you hurt any more people.

        

EVIL XENA

(snickering) "You" won't let me. You actually think you're any match for me? Don't make me laugh.

Xena's evil side slowly began circling her. Gabrielle kept her eyes  on her. Really for if " Xena" struck.

       

GABRIELLE

I don't want to fight you Xena. 

        

EVIL XENA

Then don't.

       

GABRIELLE

You're not leaving me with much choice.

       

EVIL XENA

Well if you insist!

The evil Xena swung her sword at Gabrielle. Gabrielle deflected it. Xena's evil self swung again and again. Gabrielle struggled to fend off the attacks. She took a few minor cuts, but kept fighting. Despite wanting to stop her, Gabrielle didn't want to hurt "Xena". So she wasn't giving it her all. Suddenly the evil Xena swept Gabrielle's legs from under her, sending her to the ground. Xena's evil side stood glaring down at Gabrielle, the tip of her sword against the spot on Gabrielle's chest that would allow her to pierce her heart. Gabrielle sat slightly out of breath, staring up at "Xena". 

       

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) I couldn't stop her.

Suddenly for a moment Gabrielle saw the look in "Xena's" eyes change. Along with one solo tear as it ran down her cheek.

    

GABRIELLE

Xena?

Xena's evil self shook her head, trying to regain focus. Wipping away the tear, she pulled her sword away and sheathed it. 

     

EVIL XENA

Stay away from me. Or next time I will kill you.

With that Xena's dark side left. Leaving Gabrielle more confused than ever. That night as the evil Xena slept, Gabrielle hid among  some nearby trees. She had been tracking "Xena " since she left the town.

      

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) What do I do?  It seems Xena's. gone back to who she used to be. But why? And what was up with that tear? If she really wanted to kill me, she would have. None of this makes sense. But if she has let her past self come back, I know someone will have to stop her.

While Gabrielle was trying to figure out what was happening to the woman she loved, she heard Xena quietly whispering again as she slet. Gabrielle crept closer, trying to hear what she was saying. She was careful not to wake Xena as she got near her. Gabrielle leaned in and listened.

      

XENA

I have to stop this. I need to find a way out.

     

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) She's just dreaming.

Gabrielle sat beside Xena as she slept. Quietly talking to her.

     

GABRIELLE

I wish I knew what to do. I don't think I can help you. I can feel you slipping further and further away from me.

Gabrielle felt the tears began to fall as she was faced with the thought of losing Xena to the darkness within her.

        

XENA

Gabrielle?...

Gabrielle looked at her.

    

GABRIELLE

Xena?

        

XENA

Help me Gabrielle...

     

GABRIELLE

What? 

Xena in her subconscious is releaved to know Gabrielle returned and wasn't seriously injured from earlier.

       

XENA

Gabrielle I need you to listen carefully.

Gabrielle leaned in close to hear her better. Xena told Gabrielle about what had happened back in the cave. How the fountain she found allowed the evil part of her to gain control of her conscious mind. Imprisoning her inside her own subconscious. Gabrielle listened close to the sleeping Xena's explanation.

     

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) That would explain why Xena's been acting so completely different than normal.

Xena finished telling Gabrielle about what happened.

     

GABRIELLE

If that's true how do we get you back in control?

       

XENA

I'm assuming the same way my dark side took over. We have to get her back in that fountain.

     

GABRIELLE

How are we supposed to do that? It's not like she's just gonna willingly go back.

      

XENA

You're going to have to find a way to lead her there.    

     

GABRIELLE

But I...

Before they could finish their conversation, the evil Xena began to wake up. She opened her eyes, seeing Gabrielle's face hanging right above hers.

    

EVIL XENA

(scowling) What in tartarus do you think you're doing?

                     

- FADE TO BLACK-

Gabrielle looked down at the evil Xena, who had just woken back up. Their faces barely inches apart. 

     

GABRIELLE

(nervous laughter) Uh hey, you're awake.

Gabrielle quickly sat back, as Xena's dark side sat up.

     

EVIL XENA

What are you doing here? 

      

GABRIELLE

Well I...

Xena's evil self got to her feet.

      

EVIL XENA

I thought I warned you to stay away from me.

Gabrielle was quick to think of a lie.

     

GABRIELLE

(lying) I was just thinking that maybe I over reacted back in town. And I just wanted to apologize for what happened.

    

EVIL XENA

Is that so?

Gabrielle stood up.

     

GABRIELLE

(lying) Yeah.

   

EVIL XENA

Then why were you hovering over me like that?

     

GABRIELLE

(lying) I missed you and you just looked so peaceful sleeping. I...

     

EVIL XENA

Never mind, I don't really care. 

The evil Xena began to walk off. 

     

GABRIELLE

Hey wait up.

Gabrielle followed her.

    

GABRIELLE

Where are we going?

     

EVIL XENA

Does it matter?

      

GABRIELLE

(lying) No, just curious is all.

Gabrielle walked silently with the evil Xena. Quietly thinking of how she was going to get Xena's dark side back to the fountain. She knew that attempting to do it by force wasn't an option.

      

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) I really wish Xena could have given me some sort of plan. How am I supposed to get this Xena back to that cave. It's not like she's just going to go back willingly. And I can't exactly drag her there myself.

They continued walking along, as Gabrielle contemplated what to do. She looked around, as she tried to come up with a plan. Then she saw that they were coming up on some stables. Then Gabrielle had an idea.

      

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) We don't have our horses. I forget why. But now I think I know how to get this Xena back to the cave.

Gabrielle walked up next to the evil Xena. She needed to wait for the right moment, to try and catch Xena's evil self off guard. Suddenly Gabrielle quickly ran past the evil Xena, snatching her chakrum as she raced towards the stables. The evil Xena was not amused. 

   

EVIL XENA

(talking to herself) This time I'm going to kill her.

Gabrielle ran as Xena's dark side ran after her. She reached the stables, hopped on a horse and took off. The evil Xena grabbed a horse herself and continued chasing down Gabrielle. Gabrielle galloped towards the cave, with Xena's dark side not far behind. After a bit, Gabrielle made it to the cave. She got down from the horse as she saw the evil Xena ridding up behind her. Gabrielle ran into the cave. Xena's dark side stopped outside the cave, getting off her horse, she followed Gabrielle inside.

      

EVIL XENA

Gabrielle.

The evil Xena drew her sword as she began looking for Gabrielle.

     

EVIL XENA

(lying) It's okay Gabrielle, I'm not mad. Come back and we can talk.

Gabrielle could hear her. She purposely made some noise to make sure Xena dark side could know where she was going. Gabrielle searched through the cave for the fountain. She tried to remember where she found the evil Xena after she and the good Xena spit up fighting those raiders. Then up ahead she saw a glow coming from a corridor.

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) Found it.

She checked behind her to see if the evil Xena was still following her. 

     

GABRIELLE

What's wrong "Xena", can't catch me?!

Xena's dark side got even mader, as Gabrielle taunted her. Following the sound of Gabrielle's voice, the evil Xena tracked her down. Gabrielle let herself be seen as she ducked into the corridor. Xena's dark side followed her. Once inside Gabrielle turned towards the evil Xena, pretending to be scared.

     

GABRIELLE

Now hold on Xena.

The evil Xena held out her hand.

     

EVIL XENA

Give me back my chakrum Gabrielle.

Gabrielle slowly backed up towards the fountain.

    

GABRIELLE

(lying) Xena, I don't know who you are anymore. Please just stop this.

Xena's evil self walked towards Gabrielle.

   

EVIL XENA

(lying) It's okay Gabrielle. Just give it back and we'll talk.

Gabrielle continued backing up until she felt the fountain behind her. 

  

EVIL XENA

Looks like there's no where for you to go.

    

GABRIELLE

(lying) Okay, I'm sorry. Here just take it.

Gabrielle held up the Chakrum. The evil Xena gave a fake smile, as she grabbed her weapon. She tried to taking it from Gabrielle's grasp. But Gabrielle didn't let go.

    

EVIL XENA

What are you doing? 

Gabrielle dropped her act. 

  

GABRIELLE

You don't scare me. I Know who you really are.

  

EVIL XENA

What are you talking about?

Gabrielle told her that the good Xena had told her all about what had happened while she was asleep.

  

EVIL XENA

So, now you know the truth. But what good does that do you? It's not like you can do anything to stop me.I've already proven that.

Gabrielle took out her sais, ready to fight.

  

GABRIELLE-

Last time I wasn't giving it my all before because I thought you were the same Xena I knew. But now that I know what you really are, I won't hold back.

- FADE TO BLACK-

       

Gabrielle stood in front of the mysterious fountain as she stared down the evil part of Xena. The two of them still gripping the chakrum.

       

EVIL XENA

Oh Gabrielle, Gabrielle. What exactly do you plan on doing? We both know you can't over power me. So why don't you jist be a good girl and let go.

Gabrielle refused the release her grip.

       

EVIL XENA

Come on, don't be stupid.

      

GABRIELLE

The fact that I ever thought you were actually Xena, makes me think that I might be.

       

EVIL XENA

Well at least you admit it. Now I'll be taking this back.

The evil Xena ripped the Chakrum from Gabrielle, slicing her hand.

      

GABRIELLE

Gah!

       

EVIL XENA

(sarcasm) Oh no Gabrielle. Did I hurt you?

Xena's dark side cackled as Gabrielle backed off, clenching her hand closed. 

       

EVIL XENA

I told you, you don't stand a chance against me. So why don't you jist give it up and run back home, little girl.

Gabrielle raised her uninjured hand back up, ready to continue their battle.

      

GABRIELLE

I don't have to run anywhere, because Xena is my home. And I will get her back.

      

EVIL XENA

Fine if you really insist on getting yourself killed. Then who am I to stop you?

Xena's evil side drew her sword and began swinging at Gabrielle. Their steel clashed as Gabrielle fended her off. They fought all around the area. Suddenly the evil Xena kneed Gabrielle in the stomach, causing her to drop her guard as she staggered back. Then Xena's dark side charged, swinging her sword. Gabrielle blocked, but force of the attack knocked the sai out of her hand. 

      

EVIL XENA

Well now this is gonna be too easy. 

She sheathed her sword and began beating Gabrielle with her bare hands. Gabrielle fought back, though it seemed to be in vein. Then with a powerful blow the evil Xena knocked Gabrielle to the ground. 

      

EVIL XENA

You really are pathetic.

Xena's dark side grabbed Gabrielle by the throat, choking her. Gabrielle struggled, trying to pry her hands off.

     

EVIL XENA

I guess this is goodbye, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle fought but couldn't break the evil Xena's hold. She felt herself beginning to fade as tried to get free. Weak from lack of oxygen, her arms fell to her sides.

  

GABRIELLE

(thinking to herself) I wasn't able to stop her. I couldn't get the real you back. I'm sorry, Xena.

Gabrielle closed her eyes and felt herself begin to drift into oblivion. As everything went dark, Gabrielle couldn't help but feel like she had failed Xena. She began to let herself sink deeper into the darkness, allowing it to envelope her. Then she heard a small voice, that seemed to be coming from within.

 

INSIDE GABRIELLE'S MIND-

?

Don't give up.. Fight...you have to fight Gabrielle.

    

GABRIELLE

What? Who's there?

          

?

Come on your stronger then this. Now get up.

     

GABRIELLE

I can't. She's too strong.

          

Don't tell me you let her get to you? Come on Gabrielle, that's not like you at all. What happened to the strong, brave, fierce Gabrielle I know. You never let me down before. I know you won't now. 

     

GABRIELLE

Xena? 

          

?

Come on Gabrielle. You can do this. All you have to do is open your eyes.

     

GABRIELLE

Xena? Xena...! She's counting on me to set her free. I can't let her stay stuck in her own mind, while the evil she fought so hard to rid herself of stays out there reeking havok. I have to save her. Xena!

BACK IN REALITY-

Gabrielle opened her eyes. The evil Xena was still squeezing down on her throat. She was so consumed with ending Gabrielle, that she didn't notice Gabrielle regain consciousness. Glancing over, Gabrielle saw one of her sais on the ground. Though barely able to move and still unable to breathe, she reached out and managed to grab it. Then Gabrielle drove the blade into the evil Xena's shoulder.

       

EVIL XENA

GAH!

She let go of Gabrielle as she stood up, clenching her shoulder. Gabrielle sat up as she gasp, feeling air finally being allowed into her lungs. Catching her breath, she got to her feet. Still holding her wound, Xena's dark side turned towards Gabrielle.

       

EVIL XENA

What do I have to do to get rid of you?

     

GABRIELLE

You can't. But I am getting rid of you. And getting my Xena back.

     

EVIL XENA

That's it, I'm ending this.

Xena's dark side drew her sword again, charging Gabrielle. Again Gabrielle blocked. Then weapons locked, the evil Xena kept pushing. Backing Gabrielle up against the fountain. Pushing her sword closer and closer to Gabrielle's face. As she hung just above the water.

      

EVIL XENA

Well Gabrielle, any last final words before I finish you?

      

GABRIELLE

Yea. The good Xena says hi.

      

EVIL XENA

What?

Suddenly a hand shot up from within the fountain, grabbing the evil Xena's arm.

      

EVIL XENA

No!

Xena's dark side tried to pull away, but couldn't break the grip. With her distracted, Gabrielle got out from under her. She got behind the evil Xena and began pushing. Trying to get her into the fountain.

     

EVIL XENA

NO! NO!

Finally after a struggle Xena's dark side was forced into the fountain. Gabrielle watched as the evil Xena disappeared beneath the water.

     

GABRIELLE

Xena?!

Back inside the subconscious, the evil Xena stood up.

     

XENA

(smirking) Welcome back.

- FADE TO BLACK-

The two sides of Xena once again stood face to face within the darkness of Xena's subconscious. The evil Xena let out roar of anger and frustration.

    

EVIL XENA

How could this happen? I can't believe I'm back here!

Xena chuckled a little as she began casually circling her evil self. Mimicking what her dark side had done to her during their first encounter.

         

XENA

(sarcasm) What's the matter, not happy to see me?

     

EVIL XENA

Shut up! I got out of here before, I can do it again. 

         

XENA

You can try. But I don't think you'll have much luck this time.

     

EVIL XENA

We'll see about that.

The evil Xena suddenly darted past Xena. She ran, looking behind her at the good Xena. 

     

EVIL XENA

You can't stop me. You're going to be stuck in here forever.

She laughed as she turned to face straight ahead.

        

XENA

Am I?

Xena's dark side stopped in her tracks. Seeing the real Xena standing in her way.

     

EVIL XENA

How the...?

       

XENA

What did you think I've been doing while I've been here? While you were out there, doing what you do. I learned how things work in here. Apparently I've also figured out some things that even you didn't know. 

     

EVIL XENA

What are you talking about?

       

XENA

Simple sience you were in control of our consciousness, all I had to do was wait until you fell asleep. 

     

EVIL XENA

To do what?

        

XENA

That's what allowed me the opportunity to regain just a small amount of control. And chance to freely communicate with Gabrielle.

Just hearing Gabrielle's name raised the evil Xena's anger to a whole new level.

     

EVIL XENA

Ah yes, Gabrielle. Honestly, I don't know what you see in her.

         

XENA

Well for starters she's one of the biggest parts of what  saved me, from being you.

     

EVIL XENA

Oh give me a break! That GIRL wouldn't be able to do a thing without you there to hold her hand.

         

XENA

(smirking) And yet here you are. Because of her.

The evil Xena made an annoyed snarl as she drew her sword and changed the good Xena. Xena took out her own sword, ready to finally put an end to her dark sides madness. The two sides clashed. Seemingly an even match against one another. Steel clashed. Punches and kicks flew. Impressive athletic abilities were on full display. In an epic showdown of good verses evil. 

    

EVIL XENA

Once I'm done here, and I escape. The first thing I'm doing is getting rid of Gabrielle.

XENA

I'm never letting you back out out of here.

   

EVIL XENA

You assume you can stop me.

        

XENA

Well we know what happens when you Assume.

     

EVIL XENA

Oh you think you're so funny. We`ll see if you're still making jokes when I sink my sword into that precious little bard of yours.

        

XENA

Who said I was joking? You're not leaving here ever again.

    

EVIL XENA

Don't be so sure. Even if you do get out before me, I'll still be here. Reminding you of what you once were. Biding my time. Like I said before, all I need is one opportunity. One slip from you, and I'm back. You'll never escape me Xena. I'm part of you. And I'll be with you 'til the day you die.

 Xena lowered her sword.

XENA

Your right, I'll never completely rid myself of you. And I accept that. But I can ensure that you are never allowed to roam free ever again.

Suddenly chains shot up from the ground. Wrapping around the evil Xena's arms, legs, waist and neck.

     

EVIL XENA

WHAT! 

Xena's dark side struggled to break free, but was pulled the the ground. Xena walked over to her evil counterpart. Sheathing her sword, Xena knelt in front of her. The evil Xena glared up at Xena as she fought to get out of her restraints.

     

EVIL XENA

What is this?!

        

XENA

This is my mind, so I can do anything I want here.

     

EVIL XENA

Wait I should be able to just get free. This is my mind too. Why can't I move?!

        

XENA

Because while at one point you might have taken up alot of who I once was. I changed, and now you're just an ugly reminder of who I'm determined to never allow  myself to become again.

With that Xena turned away and walked away. The evil Xena still struggled unsuccessfully get out of her chains.

     

EVIL XENA

Damn you. DAMN YOU!

Xena ignored her, as she made her way to the barrier inside the mysterious fountain. Taking a sigh of relief, she placed her hand on the barrier and began pushing her way through. Meanwhile Gabrielle was sitting up against the cave wall, resting from her fight against the evil Xena. As she waited for the good Xena to return.

     

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) It's been a long time. Please Xena, come back to me.

Suddenly Gabrielle heard a big splash. She looked at the fountain, seeing a arm shoot out from the water. Unsure of who was coming out, Gabrielle quickly tried to stand, but was still pretty worn out. She watched as Xena emerged from the fountain, and stood in front of her.

    

GABRIELLE

Xena? Is that you?

Xena looked at her and smiled.

        

XENA

You know that's technically true for either one of us that could've come back.

Gabrielle gave her an uneasy look. Xena spoke softly.

XENA

It alright Gabrielle. It's me.

Gabrielle didn't let her guard down. Xena could tell from Gabrielle's reaction, that it was going to take some time and convincing to get her to believe that the right Xena had returned. And she understood that. Xena slowly walked over and got down in front of Gabrielle.

      

XENA

How can I show you that I'M back?

   

GABRIELLE

I don't know. I guess I'll have to wait and see what you do.

       

XENA

Fare enough. I'll find a way to prove to you that it's really me.

                   

Xena held out her hand to help Gabrielle up. Gabrielle ignored it as she made it to her feet. Xena gave her a soft smile as she lowered her hand and stood up. The two of them made their way out of the cave. They traveled in silence for a while. Gabrielle didn't take her eyes off Xena, as she walked a little behind her.

 

GABRIELLE

(Thinking to herself) I want to believe that the good Xena's back. But I'm not being fooled again.

Xena glanced back at Gabrielle as wondered how she could prove who she was to her. As they walked down the road they ran into some travelers being attacked by a group of raiders. Without hesitation Xena leaps in to fight off the raiders. This doesn't go unnoticed to Gabrielle, as she steps herself stepped in to help protect the travelers. Both Xena and Gabrielle chased of the raiders without incident and continued on their way. Seeing Xena selflessly jump right in to save people made Gabrielle feel far more at ease. Though as much as she tried and wanted to believe that the right Xena was with her, Gabrielle still couldn't completely shake her uncertainty. A number of nights later Xena and Gabrielle layed side by side, a fare amount more space separated them than normal. Gabrielle looked over at Xena, seeing her eyes were closed.

    

GABRIELLE

I'm sorry Xena, I'm really trying to over the fear of you not being the right Xena. Just thinking about the fact that part of you was able to get control again scares me. I thought I was going to lose you forever Xena.

She slowly, cautiously moved her hand towards Xena. Xena was awake and heard what Gabrielle said.  She reached over and took Gabrielle's hand in hers.

       

GABRIELLE

Xena.

Xena turned her head, facing Gabrielle.

          

XENA

You could never lose me. No matter where we go, whatever happens, and what ever might separate us, I will always find my way back to you. You're my beacon Gabrielle. My heart, my home is forever with you.

Gabrielle felt a rush of emotions as Xena pulled her in and held her tight.

     

GABRIELLE

I'm just so glad you're back Xena.

She lifted her head. Looking into Xena's eyes, seeing nothing but love looking back at her. 

       

XENA

I love you Gabrielle, and nothing will ever change that.

Xena leaned in and kissed her. When they separated, Gabrielle looked at Xena with longing.

      

GABRIELLE

Xena I..

Gabrielle didn't need to finish what she was going to say. Xena knew what she was about to ask her. She kissed her again as Gabrielle reached up began running her fingers through Xena's long jet black hair. Xena pulled back and began removing her armor. Gabrielle followed suit with her clothes. Xena then pulled her back in, kissing Gabrielle as she layed her down. Gabrielle gently caressed Xena's face.

        

GABRIELLE

I love you Xena.

          

XENA

I love you.

The two of them then preceded to take each other to the highest of heights. Allowing their passions to overtake them. As they became completely lost in one another's love. When the last pinnacle had finally been reached, they layed there together. Gabrielle wrapped in Xena's loving embrace. She smiled. Happy and reassured that this truly was the good Xena. The real Xena. Her Xena.

THE END ❤

Email- tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy