Pt.23

Deep within the cave, Xena and Gabrielle stood as the heat continued to rise from the lava beneath them after the ground had broken apart into multiple smaller sections. They looked ahead in surprise as they saw mirror images of themselves standing on one of the floating chunks of earth. Xena scowled as she looked at their doppelgangers. 

XENA 
I'm gonna guess that you're the spirits that we've been talking to.

The Xena look-alike spirit nodded slightly.

SPIRIT XENA
Indeed.

XENA 
Any particular reason why you look just like us?

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Along with making it to the other side, you both must face what lies within.

XENA 
We already did that inside of the spirit realm. What point is there to do it again?

SPIRIT XENA 
You've faced each other's pasts, yes. But this is a test not for your partner to face, but for yourselves.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
Like there's anything you can say that I haven't heard before.

SPIRIT XENA
We shall see. So are you going to proceed?

Both Gabrielle and Xena spoke at the same time.

XENA 
No.

GABRIELLE 
Yes.

Xena turned to face Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle please just listen to reason here. This isn't safe. We could very well die extremely horrible deaths trying this.

Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Xena, we've gone up against political powerhouses, warlords, and crazed psychopaths. Faced entire army's when our side was severely outnumbered. Survived backstabbing and betrayals. Even stood toe to toe with some of the Gods themselves and somehow come out on top. How's doing this really any different than all the other things we've faced over our time together? 

XENA 
Battle is one thing. A person can survive being hit by an arrow or getting stabbed. A person can even live through getting hit a couple of times by a god if they're not hit anyplace vital so it wouldn't necessarily be lethal. But it's a guarantee that falling into a lava pit definitely is. We fail in there, we are NOT coming back out.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I'm not stupid Xena. We both know that you should have no real trouble getting access, regardless of what you might say. I've seen you pull off far crazier feats with minimal effort. And I know that I can do this too. 

Gabrielle turned away from Xena and faced the sea of lava and stone before her.

GABRIELLE 
Even if you insist that I can't.

Then without another word and before Xena saw it coming, Gabrielle took off running. Xena attempted to grab her but she was already out of reach and Xena watched in disbelief as Gabrielle ran straight towards the ground's edge. She quickly chased after her. 

XENA 
Gabrielle no!

Reaching full speed, Gabrielle quickly closed in on the ledge. Then just as she reached the first break in the ground, Gabrielle pushed off the edge as she jumped off, and went airborne. Xena stopped running as she neared where Gabrielle had just jumped and watched as a feeling of dread took hold of her and held her breath in anxious anticipation. Knowing that if Gabrielle didn't make it across there would be nothing that she could do but watch as Gabrielle suffered an agonizing death. The chunk of earth shifted as Gabrielle came down where she landed. She wobbled before crouching down to keep herself from falling due to the movement beneath her. Once the moving stopped, Gabrielle stood up and looked back at Xena and smirked as if saying "I told you so". In response, Xena growled to herself as she promised that once they were through there she was going to get to the bottom of Gabrielle's behavior regardless of what she had said before. Because this sort of thing was plain and simply unacceptable. So after taking a couple of test jumps in place, Xena took several long, quick steps and jumped towards the lava. She near effortlessly landed on a floating piece of the ground that rested a few pieces away from where Gabrielle stood watching Xena make her jump. As it settled beneath her, Xena looked to her side a gave Gabrielle a very unhappy look.

GABRIELLE 
What I made it didn't I?

Before Xena could respond Gabrielle jumped to another piece of rock. But as she landed, due to it being smaller the rock shifted more than the previous one and Gabrielle struggled to maintain her equilibrium as a result. Xena felt her heart skip several beats as she watched Gabrielle fight to keep her balance. Then after a moment or two the movement of the surface lessened and Gabrielle was able to stabilize herself. Xena breathe a sigh of relief as she carefully chose her next landing place and left over to it.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) That woman is gonna drive me to an even earlier grave if she keeps this up. Now I get how she must feel when she sees me doing insane stuff like this. I must be rubbing off on her too much.
(Thinking to herself Sarcastically) Big shock that I'm a bad influence. 

Both Xena and Gabrielle made a couple more jumps as they slowly moved across the large corridor. Aside from being nerve-wracking, things were going relatively smoothly as they made their way across. However, that quickly changed as Gabrielle stopped her momentum when the spirit who looked like her appeared right in front of her as it hovered over the lava.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Aren't you tired Gabrielle?

Gabrielle scowled at the being before her.

GABRIELLE 
I'm fine. Now move so I can keep going.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
But are you Gabrielle? Because you certainly don't seem okay to me.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I said I'm fine.

Knowing that this was just a spirit, Gabrielle attempted to make the jump and pass right through the being. But instead of the expected result of going through the spirit, Gabrielle hit some kind of invisible barrier around it and bounced off. She was knocked to the ground as the piece of rock shifted greatly and Gabrielle frantically clawed at the ledge to stop herself from sliding off. Xena witnessed the whole transaction and froze as she watched Gabrielle scrabble to stay on the rock. Somehow Gabrielle managed to keep herself from falling off of the rock and waited for it to settle before she stood again. She glared at her doppelganger spirit.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) What do you want? Why are you stopping me from getting access?

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Because you still must face your truth first.

GABRIELLE 
What does that even mean? To "face my truth"? 

SPIRIT GABRIELLE
It's your truth, you should know.

GABRIELLE 
I have no idea what you're talking about.

The spirit that took Xena's form then appeared before Gabrielle as well and floated in midair alongside the other spirit.

SPIRIT XENA
But don't you? Because it's the very thing that you've been fighting against so hard for so long. But it's never been enough, has it?

The spirit moved in close to Gabrielle who would have sworn that she was face to face with the actual Xena if she didn't know that she was off to her side as the spirit continued to speak.

SPIRIT XENA 
You have never been enough.

Gabrielle scowled.

GABRIELLE 
You're wrong.

The spirit raised its eyebrow just like the actual Xena would.

SPIRIT XENA 
Am I?

Both spirits began to float in a slow circle around Gabrielle as they moved in opposite directions and took turns speaking.

SPIRIT XENA 
How many times have you needed someone to come save you?

Gabrielle didn't know what to say as she watched the spirits floating around her. 

GABRIELLE 
I...

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
You even only became Amazon queen because you had help.

GABRIELLE 
That was a while ago, I've gotten much better since then.

SPIRIT XENA 
But have you really? Because it certainly doesn't sound like you believe that yourself. Do you?

Gabrielle didn't say anything in response as the spirits continued and the one that had taken Gabrielle's form moved close to her.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
But then again I'm sure that Xena must be used to that by now. After all, you're just a simple girl from a small village who didn't give a second thought to the reality of what this life you chose when you followed Xena after that first time she saved you.

SPIRIT XENA 
And it certainly wasn't the last, was it? Because time and time again Xena has needed to be there to save you.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE
After all, it wasn't long ago when you couldn't even actually defend your own child, could you? Instead, you were beaten to within an inch of your life and once again needed Xena to do all the heavy lifting. If it weren't for her both you and the child you share would be dead. You did nothing but get in the way and become a target.

SPIRIT XENA 
As you always do. And to think that you insist that you don't need Xena's assistance. But in truth, you see yourself as being just as helpless as your own child whom you couldn't even defend.

Gabrielle lowered her head in shame as the spirits continued to circle her.

GABRIELLE 
(Quiet/ defeated tone) I know.

Gabrielle began to cry as she finally heard everything spoken out loud that she had been telling herself in secret for some time now. That she'd been defenseless, incapable, even worthless, and how desperately she wanted to change that. But as each word hit her as though a large stone had been thrown at her, Gabrielle could feel the resolve that she thought she had being chipped away. Xena watched and heard the whole exchange between Gabrielle and the spirits as Gabrielle placed her hands over her ears in an effort to drown out the spirits taunting and dropped to her knees in defeat and sorrow. Xena could feel her heart breaking for Gabrielle as she finally realized just what it was that had been weighing so heavily on her shoulders as of late. And at that moment all Xena wanted to do was jump over to where Gabrielle was and comfort her. But now knowing the truth, Xena knew that by doing so she'd likely only be making everything worse. So she stood there, not knowing how to help as the corridor echoed with the continuous taunting from the spirits that Gabrielle wanted nothing more to escape from. As well as herself as she felt everything she'd been trying to push down boil to the surface. The emotional pain tormented her so badly that almost made her wish the spirits would just simply throw her into the lava pit waiting below instead. As she thought of how at least that would give her an escape. Though the thought wasn't serious, the sentiment of being tired of feeling the way she had was as she cried out and felt all of the doubts, fears, and insecurities that had been plaguing her finally overtake her as she dropped to the ground and curled herself into a fetal position and squeezed her eyes shut as she just wanted everything around her and everything she was feeling to stop. 

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Gods, they're right. I can't do this. What was I thinking? Xena, please make it stop. I'm sorry I'm so useless. I tried, I thought I could become someone who could be relayed on, but I was only fooling myself while pushing you away. I'm sorry I ever said I didn't need you when I so obviously do. Please just help me!

Pt.24

The corridor of the cave continued to echo with the voices of the taunting Xena and Gabrielle look-alike spirits as they circled Gabrielle who was huddled into a ball on a piece of rock that floated in the sea of lava. She cried as she found all of her resolve to become better than what she thought she was leaving her. Her own thoughts now beginning to torment her even more than the cruel words from the spirits.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) It's not enough. I'm never gonna be good enough. I've tried so hard and yet I have nothing to show for it. And in the end, all I did was push Xena away and... Gods after hearing the reason, I can only imagine what she must be thinking right now. She's always done so much for me. Put her life on the line countless times for me and this is how I repay her? By shutting her out? Getting mad when she showed her concern for me when she knew something was wrong? And now that I don't know what to do I want her to come save me, 
again? 

The world around Gabrielle had all but faded from her consciousness as she sunk deeper into the recesses of her mind and into the depths of the clouded darkness that engulfed her from within.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Xena's always said that she doesn't deserve me, but in reality, I'm the one who doesn't deserve to have someone like her. So many times those we've come across have asked her what she sees in me. While she always gives a kind answer and tries to build me up, deep down I've always wondered that myself. What do I really offer her that measures up to everything that Xena does for me? What could I offer? I don't have anything special that Xena either doesn't have the ability to do herself or could easily find someone else who's likely better at whatever she thinks I do for her anyway. Gods, what have I even been doing this whole time we've been together? Other than bringing Xena down.

Now finally hearing the truth about how Gabrielle's been feeling, Xena stood in almost disbelief at the fact.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) How could Gabrielle think that? How can she truly think that she's not good enough? How can she not see what I see in her? And how could I not know? 

Xena clenched her fist in frustration at the whole situation. As well as in anger at the spirits that were tormenting Gabrielle even more than what she had already apparently been doing to herself.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE
Weak.

SPIRIT XENA 
Useless.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Even now I'm certain that you're wishing for Xena to come and save you.

GABRIELLE 
(Quiet/ Defeated tone) Yes.

SPIRIT XENA 
But what will happen when the day comes that Xena grows tired of coming to your rescue? Or dies as a result of trying to save you.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
What will you do then?

GABRIELLE 
(Quiet/ Defeated tone) I don't know.
(Thinking to herself) I've thought of that so many times, but I've always pushed those thoughts away and convinced myself that Xena's capabilities would be enough to prevent anything from happening to her. But they're right. As amazing as Xena is, she's still only human. She gets hurt. She can die. And I can inadvertently be the cause. I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself if she was killed trying to defend me. And Aurora, she would lose one of her parents. If I took Xena away from her I...

The taunting continued for a few more moments until a voice that could no longer remain silent echoed over the spirits.

XENA 
I would gladly give my life to defend Gabrielle any day. She's the reason I'm even still here at all anyway. She saved me a long time ago and did so without even trying. 

The spirits looked over at Xena who stood on a piece of rock next to the one Gabrielle was on.

XENA 
And if you ask me she's the strongest person I know. 

Xena fiercely glared at the spirits.

XENA 
So don't you dare call her weak. 

Xena then spoke directly to Gabrielle who was too immersed in her sorrow and pain to have even heard her.

XENA 
You hear me, Gabrielle? You are not weak, or incapable, or whatever else you've been telling yourself that you are.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE
Oh, Gabrielle, it looks like Xena's here to save you once again.

Xena scowled at the spirit.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You shut your mouth before I shut it for you. You might look like Gabrielle but you clearly have no clue about what kind of person she really is.

SPIRIT XENA 
And you do? Because up until a few minutes ago you didn't even know how she was truly feeling.

XENA 
I might not always know what she's thinking. But what I do know is that Gabrielle is a good, kind person. She has an amazing ability to see the good in everything. Including a short-tempered, foolish, worn-down warrior like me. Who at times can be too stubborn to see what should be obvious. 

Xena continued as she directed her words toward Gabrielle, hoping that she was hearing her.

XENA 
I know I've said it before but I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you in my life. You're not the one who needs me. The truth is that I'm the one who needs you, Gabrielle. The only way that I'm able to do half of the things I do is because of you. You're so much more than what these spirits are saying. Or what you've been telling yourself. Don't you know that?

Xena paused for a moment as she tried to think of what else she could say to drive home her point.

XENA 
And for the record, I don't defend you because I don't necessarily think that you can't do it yourself. I'd do that regardless of whether you could fight or not. I do it because I love you.

Xena stopped speaking for a moment before finishing up with one more thing before she waited to see if what she had said had sunk in.

XENA 
So what's it gonna be Gabrielle? Are you just gonna sit there and prove these spirits and all the others who've said you shouldn't be where you are in life right? Or are you gonna stand up and fight for yourself? Like we both know you can.

Once done Xena stood waiting and hoping that she had managed to get through to Gabrielle who hadn't moved or acknowledged that Xena had even been speaking to her. The spirits had stopped taunting Gabrielle as they were convinced that they had done their job and that Gabrielle was done with her attempt to complete the test. And judging from the lack of response Gabrielle had given to what Xena had said, it began to seem as though the spirits were right.

Pt.25

Xena stood anxiously waiting and hoping that her words had gotten through to Gabrielle. She watched as the spirits resembling Gabrielle and herself had stopped speaking and were now just floating in place, looking at Gabrielle who was still curled up in the middle of the floating rock in the sea of lava within the cave. When she didn't get a response, Xena called out to Gabrielle again.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Xena waited for another moment or two, but again Gabrielle didn't move or acknowledge her at all.

XENA 
Gabrielle, please. I know you're still in there. You have to listen to me. You can't let them get to you. Everything I just said is the honest truth.

Yet again Xena's words appeared to fall on deaf ears. As she attempted to get through to her, Xena could've sworn that she could almost feel the emotional turmoil that swirled inside of Gabrielle herself. It felt so dark and heavy and Xena wondered even more how she'd not been able to see any of it sooner. While Xena was no stranger to feeling guilt and regret, the feeling of inadequacy was something that she wasn't all too familiar with. Of course, they were times that she'd felt it, but never to this level. It was so much that it was nearly suffocating. Xena would have wondered how she was able to sense what Gabrielle was feeling, but she figured that it must've been the spirits doing. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) is this what Gabrielle's been feeling? It's so dark, so angry, sad, defeated. I've felt defeated before but nothing like this. I'm sure it's worse right now due to those damned spirits, but to think that Gabrielle's been silently carrying this with her for a while now. And I had no idea. Most people would've just given in a while ago but she's kept fighting this battle. And fighting this battle alone. I have to reach her somehow. But what can I do? Come on Xena think damn it!

Xena didn't know what else she could do but keep calling out to Gabrielle and hope that her words would eventually sink in. This time trying a bit of a rougher approach. Hoping that maybe it would work better to finally catch Gabrielle's attention.

XENA 
Gabrielle, you have to snap out of it. You've never given up on anything before, so don't you dare start now. So if you want this to stop, quit just laying there in a puddle of your self-defeat and pity and fight. You're better than this damn it! So if you want this to stop, quit listening to these stupid, poor excuses for copies, get up, and do something about it!

Xena's voice echoed through the corridor and caught the spirits' attention who stopped circling Gabrielle who still didn't appear to register what Xena had said. The spirits turned their focus to Xena as they began to float toward where she stood.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
It's too late for her Xena.

SPIRIT XENA 
Just look at her. She's done. We all know it.

Xena scowled at the spirits as they came her way.

XENA 
(Angry tone) You don't know anything.

Xena called to Gabrielle again as the spirits began to circle her just as they had done with Gabrielle.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Oh Xena, always trying to do the right thing for Gabrielle. And others. So noble.

SPIRIT XENA 
But do you honestly think that what you're doing now is enough? After everything you've done? After all of the people, you've hurt?

XENA 
Okay, I'm guessing that it's my turn now.

Xena stood tall and kept her face emotionless as the spirits continued.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Tell us, Xena, what's it like to have so much blood on your hands?

XENA 
Terrible. I can never undo the suffering and damage I've caused. But that's not who I am anymore.

SPIRIT XENA 
You say you've left that part of yourself behind, but what about those affected by your brutality? Have they?

XENA 
I'm certain that plenty haven't. But I don't expect their forgiveness. I know I certainly don't deserve it. And that's just something that I'll have to live with.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
So casual about the horrific things that you're responsible for. Makes me wonder just how truly remorseful you are.

Xena scowled at the spirits.

XENA 
I'm more sorry about the things I've done than most will ever know. But I know what you're trying to do and it won't work on me.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
And why's that?

Xena's face relaxed as a hint of sadness showed in her eyes.

XENA 
Because there's nothing that a couple of spirits or anyone else can say that I hadn't said to myself. Or that could possibly make me feel worse about what I've done than I already do.

Xena stood tall as she pushed the emotions and memories that haunted her all too often back into the dark corner of her mind where they normally resided. Until the time when Xena knew that they'd resurface again and would more than likely continue to do so for the rest of her days.

XENA 
But that's my burden to carry and the price I pay for my actions. So I don't need your help to make me feel bad about what I've done. 

Xena smirked for a moment.

XENA 
I do that just fine all on my own. So why don't you both get lost and go try haunting someone else who actually gives a damn about what a couple of random spirits have to say?

The spirits could tell that their tactics were indeed not going to work on Xena and floated away from her as her expression returned serious and her focus went back to Gabrielle. Again she could feel practically Gabrielle slowly sinking ever further into her own pit of despair. She knew that if this kept up Gabrielle might not be able to be pulled back out at all. She didn't know what else she could say that would get through to her. Completely at a loss for what else she could do, Xena tried again to reach her with everything that she could think to say. Refusing to give up on getting through to Gabrielle as she felt Gabrielle continuing to fall further away from her and into the depths of her sorrow and defeat. Not knowing that Gabrielle was drowning within that very sea of darkness inside of her mind. Sinking further beneath the surface from where she might not ever be able to return as fire that once burned bright within her heart, was now nothing more than a small flicker of dull light that threatened to go out soon. Unless something could fan the flame before it was too late and it was extinguished forever.

Pt.26

Xena moved quickly leaping between the floating chunks of earth within the lava as she reached where Gabrielle was curled up on her island of self-doubt.  XenaNow physically beside Gabrielle, Xena crouched down and spoke to her again as she next tried to reach her both mentally and emotionally.

XENA 
Come on Gabrielle you have to snap out of it.

It was dark, empty, but somehow at the same time full. Full of pain and sorrow as Gabrielle drifted within the recesses of her mind. She could no longer hear the taunting words of the spirits as she had shut out everything from the outside. But the echoes of everything she'd been saying to herself were still playing loud and clear. With her physical eyes closed, she had tried to desperately escape, but all Gabrielle had felt she had done was find a way to run away and hide.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Nothings changed. I'm sorry Xena but I can't do this anymore. I just can't. I'm not as strong as you. I can't do anything without help. Without you. Please Xena, help me. Make this all stop. I'm sorry,  I know it's not fair to you, but please Xena, I'm begging you to save me just like you always have to do. Please, Xena!

While Gabrielle drifted further into the darkness she began to have another thought.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) But why should she? You know how unfair it is and yet you would still repeatedly ask that of the woman who you're supposed to love. Gods I'm not only worthless but selfish too. Why does Xena keep putting up with me? She'd probably be better off without me. And the same goes for everyone else. I shouldn't even be queen. I should've just stayed in Potidaea. At least then I probably wouldn't drag everyone around me down and constantly need saving. Maybe it would be better if I just left and...

?
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle's self-deprecating inner monologing was interrupted when she heard a voice echo in the distance.

?
Gabrielle, I know you're in there!

It took a moment for the voice to become clear but when it did, Gabrielle recognized it instantly.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Gabrielle looked for Xena within the darkness but didn't see her.

XENA 
You have to snap out of it.

Though her words were fragmented at first, Gabrielle could recognize Xena's voice speaking to her. But instead of hearing them, Gabrielle could practically feel them within her. As if Xena's words were penetrating her very soul.

XENA 
I know I've said it before but I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you in my life.

Out of desperation, Gabrielle tried calling out to Xena from the darkness she had found herself in.

GABRIELLE 
I can't do this Xena. Please just make it all stop. I'm sorry, I need you to save me again.

Though Gabrielle still couldn't see her, Xena's voice responded.

XENA 
 You're not the one who needs me.

GABRIELLE 
What are you talking about? Of course, I do. Just look at me. I can't do anything on my own. Just like those spirits and gods know how many others have said. (Sad tone) And now I need you to save me once again.

Gabrielle lowered her head in shame and defeat as Xena's voice reached her again.

XENA 
The truth is that I'm the one who needs you, Gabrielle. The only way that I'm able to do half of the things I do is because of you. You're so much more than what these spirits are saying. Or what you've been telling yourself. Don't you know that?

Gabrielle looked up as she spoke into the darkness.

GABRIELLE 
But I'm not.

XENA 
I know I've said it before but I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you in my life. You're not the one who needs me. The truth is that I'm the one who needs you, Gabrielle. The only way that I'm able to do half of the things I do is because of you. You're so much more than what these spirits are saying. Or what you've been telling yourself.

GABRIELLE 
But how can you say that? I couldn't even defend our child. I put you in a terrible situation that ended up nearly getting you killed. Besides it's not just about that. This is how it's been from the beginning. You can't honestly tell me that you aren't getting tired of having to save me.

 

XENA 
I don't defend you because I don't necessarily think that you can't do it yourself. I'd do that regardless of whether you could fight or not. I do it because I love you.

GABRIELLE 
Xena...

Gabrielle lowered her eyes for a moment as Xena's words slowly seeped into Gabrielle's heart as well as the darkness surrounding her, causing a small light to begin to glow as the spirit's voices faded away.

XENA 
So what's it gonna be Gabrielle?

This time when Gabrielle heard Xena's voice, she sounded so clear and close it was as if Xena was physically right there with her. This caused Gabrielle to look up again and was shocked when she saw an image of Xena standing right before her. The image of Xena within Gabrielle's mind smiled as she waited for Gabrielle to stand up on her own.

XENA 
Are you just gonna sit there and prove these spirits and all the others who've said you shouldn't be where you are in life right? Or are you gonna stand up and fight for yourself? Like we both know you can.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) She believes in me, so deeply.

Gabrielle couldn't help but smirk to herself but then lost the smile as she still felt her insecurities holding her back.

GABRIELLE 
But what am I supposed to do? I'm not a fighter like you.

XENA 
So what. Gabrielle, I didn't become the woman I am overnight. I can't tell you how many times I've failed. Besides I thought you knew that a person's real strength doesn't come from how well they can swing a weapon around. Any idiot can do that. A person's true strength comes from here.

The image of Xena crouched down and placed her hand on Gabrielle's chest over her heart.

XENA 
You taught me that. And that's how I know that you're the strongest person I've met.

Gabrielle's hand found its way over Xena's as Xena gazed into her eyes for a long moment before she smirked.

XENA 
(Joking) Hercules only wishes he had your kind of strength.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. What good does that actually do? It doesn't help me protect the people I love.

Gabrielle looked away for a moment before Xena's hand touched her cheek and gently guided Gabrielle's eyes back to her.

XENA 
But it does. 

GABRIELLE 
How?

XENA 
Gabrielle, do you trust me?

GABRIELLE 
More than anyone. You know that.

XENA 
Then just take my word for it. You are so much more than what you think. You've already shown that time and time again. Now go out there and prove it.

The image of Xena took her hand away as she stood and looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Come on, get up. I'd offer you a hand, but I'm pretty sure you can handle that on your own. Right?

The image of Xena turned her back to Gabrielle and began walking into the darkness as her words began to sink into the depths of Gabrielle's heart.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Let's go, we've still got that damned test to finish. And you know I don't like to be kept waiting.

Xena's image faded out of view as Gabrielle slowly stood up within the darkness and the voices of the spirits came back. But the words Xena had said were the ones that now seemed to have Gabrielle's focus as the words of the spirits  were being drowned out. A moment later Gabrielle physically opened her eyes as she came back to reality. She saw Xena crouched beside her. Xena and the spirits watched as Gabrielle sat up. 

XENA
Are you okay?

Xena felt a rush of relief as Gabrielle looked at her and lightly touched her cheek as she smiled at her. 

GABRIELLE 
I am now.

Gabrielle got back to her feet as Xena did the same and stood slightly behind her. In response, the spirits moved closer as they resumed their taunting of Gabrielle.

SPIRIT XENA
Why get up Gabrielle? You know that you'll only end up being knocked down again.

Gabrielle stood tall before the spirits as they floated around her.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, I know. But that just means that I can get back up again too. I might've been down for a while there but I refuse to stay that way any longer.

Pt.27

The spirits that resembled Xena and Gabrielle floated around as the real ones stood on a piece of rock that floated in the lava. Gabrielle looked at Xena for a moment as she smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Let's hurry up and finish this, it's gotten way too hot in here.

The spirits floated in close as they tried to disparage them once again.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
You make it sound so simple. But are you truly capable of completing such a feat?

 Xena glanced at the spirits for a moment.

XENA 
Not to mention that these two are starting to get on my nerves.

Xena then looked at Gabrielle.

XENA
So let's get this done and get out of here so we can head home and finally be done with these stupid tests for good.

GABRIELLE 
I couldn't agree with you more.

With that, Gabrielle made a jump to another piece of earth. She landed easily and was about to hop to another when her doppelganger spirit flew in front of her and blocked her path. The spirit began to try taunting her and Xena was ready to speak up but quickly found that her input wasn't needed.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Where are you going, Gabrielle? Do you really think that it's safe for you to do this without Xena?

GABRIELLE 
Safe? No. But either way, I can still do this.

Gabrielle glanced over at Xena for a moment.

GABRIELLE 
But even if I do end up needing a hand that's okay. And I can't think of anyone else in this world that I would rather have holding my hand when I need it than Xena.

XENA 
And that's something that I'm more than happy to do anytime.

As Xena said those words she came jumping in and landed on the opposite edge of the rock that Gabrielle was on. And as a result, the piece of earth shifted greatly and sent the side where Gabrielle was standing upwards. As she realized what Xena was doing, Gabrielle pushed off the ground as it rose quickly, amplifying her height and distance as Xena helped launch her skyward. The momentum carried Gabrielle forward to another piece of earth that had several others floating between it and where she had just been launched from. Gabrielle crouched as she landed and gripped the ledge to gain her balance and steady the rock's movements from her landing. She then looked back as she heard the all-familiar battle cry of Xena's ring out as Xena rapidly lept across several pieces of floating earth with the kind of flare that only she could achieve before landing beside Gabrielle. Gabrielle shook her head in mock disapproval as she smirked at her.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Show off.

Xena brandished a cocky grin as she crouched down.

XENA 
(Joking) Show off huh? You ain't seen nothing yet. You ready?

GABRIELLE 
For what?

As soon as Gabrielle said those words, she realized that she should've known better as before she knew it she was over Xena's shoulder and they were both flying through the air towards the next piece of rock.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!!

Xena landed as Gabrielle squirmed, kicked, and playfully pounded on Xena's back.

GABRIELLE 
Put, me, down.

Xena chuckled as she did just that and Gabrielle did her best to pretend to be mad at her.

XENA 
(Joking) Oh that's right you've been feeling down about me doing stuff like that. Oops. In that case, I'll just keep going and meet you on the other side when you get there. I'll be waiting.

And with a smirk and a wink, Xena took off to the next rock and then moved to another. Gabrielle gave a smirk of her own as she went for her next jump. As she continued across, for the first time in a while Gabrielle realized the weight that she'd been carrying around with her was finally gone. In truth long before she was injured while rescuing Aurora, there was a small part of Gabrielle that had always felt inadequate while standing next to Xena. Which in all honesty seemed silly to her when she thought about it. After all, Xena was leaps and bounds above most people in her abilities. She could rival mystical creatures and even hold her own against the gods themselves. There had been numerous times when Xena would do amazing things that would cause Gabrielle to question whether Xena was even truly only human. So while it wasn't exactly a fair comparison to make, Gabrielle still couldn't help but feel as though she would always be walking a ways behind Xena in her shadow, instead of at her side where Gabrielle really desired to be. But now even that was gone. And while Gabrielle knew she'd never reach Xena's level, it no longer seemed to matter. All that did matter was that Gabrielle knew what she was capable of herself and that she and Xena were there for one another. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses that went far beyond the physical. What Gabrielle had concluded to be such a simple realization and couldn't help but laugh at herself and feel ridiculous for not seeing it so much sooner. 

XENA 
That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

GABRIELLE 
Easy for you to say.

Gabrielle huffed as she caught her breath after making the final jump and landing on the far side of the cave corridor from where they had started and where Xena now stood. After a moment Gabrielle recovered enough to breathe regularly and looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You know for someone who was so uncertain about doing this, you sure didn't seem to have much trouble getting over here.

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
I miscalculated.

Gabrielle gave Xena a suspicious look.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, nice try Xena, but I don't believe that for a second. So what's the real reason you didn't want to attempt this?

The spirits that resembled Xena and Gabrielle appeared in front of them.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Because she didn't think you could succeed in completing the task.

Gabrielle's expression turned into a scowl and then into sadness.

GABRIELLE
(Sad tone) I knew it. Did you even mean anything you said before? Or...

Xena held up her hands for Gabrielle to stop talking.

XENA 
Hold on Gabrielle. Before you go spiraling off again just let me explain.

While Gabrielle wasn't sure what Xena could say to make the situation better, she decided to at least give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, Gabrielle felt that she at least owed Xena that much after how difficult she knew she had been to deal with recently. So she took a breath and relaxed a little.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. Sorry about that. Go ahead.

Xena sighed as she gave the spirits an angry look before returning her attention to Gabrielle with a much softer expression.

XENA 
Now don't get upset, but what our unwanted friend here just said was technically true.

Gabrielle lowered her head sadly as she felt ridiculous for believing what Xena had said earlier. But before she could wallow, Gabrielle felt Xena place her fingers under her chin and gently lifted her head to look at her again.

XENA 
But that was only because I knew that something wasn't right and that you weren't thinking clearly. I didn't want you to do this and risk being killed because of that. It had nothing to do with whether or not you could physically do it. I already know you could do that.

Gabrielle gave a relieved smile.

GABRIELLE
Oh. I guess I can see your point there. I haven't really been thinking clearly for a while.

Gabrielle's face went serious again.

GABRIELLE 
And I'm sorry about that Xena. About everything, I know I haven't been easy to live with lately and that hasn't been fair to you.

XENA 
I'm just glad you're okay now. That's what's important.

Feeling bad about how she'd treated Xena, Gabrielle was about to insist that her behavior towards Xena was completely uncalled for when the spirits reappeared in front of them.

SPIRIT XENA 
It would seem that congratulations are in order.

Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other for a moment before returning their focus to the spirits.

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Yes. You have both successfully completed your final test.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Really?! We passed?

Both spirits smiled as well.

SPIRIT XENA 
Indeed.

GABRIELLE 
We passed Xena. We really passed.

Overjoyed Gabrielle hugged Xena tight as Xena wrapped her arms around Gabrielle, picking her up and spinning around for a moment as they both smiled and took a moment to celebrate. Afterward, Xena let Gabrielle down as they shared a passionate kiss. After a long moment, they separated and looked at each other.

XENA 
It was touch and go for a bit there but I knew we'd pull it off in the end.

GABRIELLE 
We somehow always do, don't we? And now we can go home and finally have the wedding that I've always hoped we'd have.

XENA 
Whatever you want Gabrielle. As long as it's you who's standing there with me, that's all I care about.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking tone) Careful Xena, your romantic, sensitive side is showing around someone else besides me.

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Meh, they're just spirits so they don't count.

Then Xena thought about something that she hadn't considered before due to everything that was happening between Gabrielle and herself as she turned her attention to the spirits.

XENA 
Which reminds me, just how are we supposed to actually prove that we were here or were even able to pass the test?

Gabrielle looked at the spirits as well.

GABRIELLE 
That's right, I hadn't even thought of that.

SPIRIT XENA 
You have nothing to worry about. We've already been in contact with your spiritual mediator and informed her of your success.

GABRIELLE 
Cora? But how did you even know to contact her?

SPIRIT GABRIELLE 
Some time before your arrival we were contacted by her about your coming here. This is how we know you're reason for being here.

XENA 
I should've figured there would be things in place for that. It's not like we're the first ones to try and get married and both be queen of the Amazons. 

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
True. That is the whole reason why there are even these tests around, to begin with.

Xena put her arm around Gabrielle and looked at the spirits as she smiled.

XENA 
Well, I don't know about Gabrielle, but if we're done here I would really like to get going. It's been a long trip and I'd like to get home to our little girl. I'm sure she's missing her mother's by now.

SPIRIT XENA 
No more than her mother's are missing her I bet.

GABRIELLE 
Definitely.

With a nod goodbye, both spirits vanished and Xena and Gabrielle took that as f them being done. Xena was about to complain about needing to go back across the lava pit to leave but stopped when she and Gabrielle heard the sound of stone scraping together. Both turned towards the back of the cave where they stood and saw a large slab of the cave wall opening like a door and letting the sunlight from the outside into the cave.

XENA 
(Joking tone) A back door to a cave, how convenient.

Xena was about to head out when she noticed Gabrielle looking at her with a sad expression.

XENA 
What's wrong?

GABRIELLE 
I just feel really bad about all of the problems that I caused between us. You were trying so hard to help but all I did was get mad and push you away. And after everything you've done for me, you didn't deserve to be treated like that.

Xena walked up to Gabrielle and placed her hands on her shoulders.

XENA 
I already told you Gabrielle. I'm not upset about that anymore. After everything that's happened here today, I understand what you were going through now. I'm just sorry you were feeling that way and thought that you had to carry that on your own.

Gabrielle looked at Xena as she finally let go of all of the pent-up emotion she'd been keeping inside and hugged Xena as she buried her face in Xena's chest and cried. Xena held Gabrielle as the tears she finally let fall and Xena's embrace carried away all of the remaining pain and frustration that still lingered in Gabrielle's heart. After a few minutes, the tears stopped and Gabrielle pulled away from Xena's embrace.

XENA 
Feel better?

Gabrielle sighed as she dried her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah. Sorry, I think I just needed to get that out.

XENA 
Never apologize for expressing yourself, Gabrielle. Especially around me. I know I'm not always the most openly emotional person but you've been able to see the parts of me that I've never let anyone else close enough to see. So while I can't say that I'll always know the right thing to say or do, I can promise that I'll always be there to listen and be a shoulder to cry on or to hold you when you need it. Even if there's nothing else I can do but stand by your side, then that's what I'll do, every time.

GABRIELLE 
I know you will. Now come on let's go home.

Gabrielle smiled at Xena as she walked ahead towards the exit with Xena right beside her. The two left the cave and began their journey back to the secret Amazon village leaving the pain of the past number of months behind as they rode off into the setting sun with a love and trust in one another that was now even stronger than ever as they looked forward to the wonderful days ahead.

Pt.28

It was a pleasant trip back to the village now that Gabrielle had put her insecurities about not being good enough behind her. She smiled to herself as she leaned her head against Xena's back and lightly squeezed her arms a little tighter around Xena's midsection, watching the scenery they slowly made their way through as they rode Argo across the open valley. Feeling the extra pressure, Xena smiled and lovingly ran her hand over Gabrielle's arm, knowing for certain that Gabrielle must've been feeling better now. She glanced back at Gabrielle as they continued seeing a much more peaceful and relaxed expression in her eyes than what Xena had seen there in a while.

GABRIELLE 
I can't wait to get back home.

XENA 
Me too. But unfortunately, it's gonna take an extra day or two than our trip up due to the addition of our injured new friend here.

Xena and Gabrielle looked back to see the horse that Gabrielle had rescued and named Arrian following behind them as they rode.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah, but I think we'll manage. Besides I couldn't just leave him.

XENA 
I know. You did a good job dealing with that whole situation too. I'm sorry if I don't say stuff like that to you enough. I'll try and be better about that.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay. I don't necessarily need you to do that, but thanks. I really appreciate that.

Xena smiled as they continued home. After several days of travel, the two finally arrived back in the village. After dropping the horses off in the field with the others from the village, Xena and Gabrielle headed straight to Skyla and Clover's house. Once there, Gabrielle and Xena held Aurora as the baby giggled, happy to see her mother's. Skyla and Clover smiled at the little family that were all so happy to be reunited.

SKYLA 
(Joking tone) Darn, now that you're back we can't keep her. 

Skyla looked at Clover and smirked.

SKYLA 
(Joking tone) I told you we should've taken off with her before they got back Clover.

Clover gave Skyla a nudge and a disapproving look.

CLOVER 
You shouldn't joke about that Skyla. Don't you remember? Aurora WAS kidnapped.

Skyla immediately felt terrible for the joke as she remembered what Xena and Gabrielle had gone through during that time. As well as what happened afterward due to the injuries that Gabrielle had suffered in their efforts to get their daughter back.

SKYLA 
Gabrielle, Xena, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. You both have become two of my closest friends, I swear I would never do anything to...

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Skyla. We know you didn't mean anything by that.

SKYLA 
Still, I shouldn't have made such a careless joke like that. Especially after everything that the two of you have been through.

XENA 
Yes, but all of that is behind us now. So there's nothing to worry about.

Xena gave Gabrielle a look as she spoke and Gabrielle knew that the statement was really meant as a question for her and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Xena's right. It's all in the past. So everything's fine now. Really.

Seeing the calm demeanor that Gabrielle now had, Xena was convinced that she was telling the truth. Then their attention returned to their conversation with Skyla and Clover who were relieved that they weren't upset with Skyla for the joke she said without thinking. After thanking Clover and Skyla again for looking after Aurora while they were gone, Xena and Gabrielle took Aurora out and went home. On the way they ran into Cora who congratulated them again on completing their tests and told them that they could come see her the next day, figuring that they would want a day to rest after their long trip. That night Xena and Gabrielle slept soundly. Happy to be home and no longer having any ill feelings towards one another, they had returned to the comfort of sleeping in one another's embrace on the trip home and continued doing so as they had before. 

CORA 
You two look happy this morning.

GABRIELLE 
What's not to be happy about?

Cora smiled as she sat across from Gabrielle and Xena on the floor as the mid-morning sun beamed in from the windows of her small house.

CORA
Fair point. I suppose you do have good reason to celebrate on this beautiful day, don't you?

XENA 
You can say that again.

Xena and Gabrielle smiled at each other before the three women heard a cheerful coo from Aurora who was sitting in Xena's lap and smiled at the very adored little girl. They talked for a bit about what had happened on Xena and Gabrielle's trip.

GABRIELLE 
So now that all of that's done, what do we do? Can we finally get married now?

CORA 
Actually, there is something else that you need to do first?

Xena scowled.

XENA 
(Slightly Irritated tone) I thought you said that was the final test.

CORA 
The final test yes. However, now you have another very serious job to attend to before you embark on your nuptials.

Xena growled in annoyance as Gabrielle placed her hand on Xena's knee and got her attention.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Xena. Whatever it is I know we can do it. Together.

Xena's expression softened as the irritability she'd been feeling only a moment ago disappeared.

XENA 
I know.

Xena and Gabrielle returned their attention to Cora as Xena sighed.

XENA 
Okay, Cora. What's this final task we have to complete that you failed to mention before?

Cora smiled.

CORA 
Why planning your joining ceremony of course.

Xena gave Cora an evil smirk.

XENA 
(Half joking) Cora if I didn't have the baby in my lap, you'd be laid out on the floor right now for that one.

Cora let out a nervous chuckle, as she looked at Gabrielle for help but only got a smile and a shrug from her in response.

CORA 
I'll be sure to make a mental note of your sense of humor in the future.

XENA 
(Joking) Probably a good idea.

With that Xena and Gabrielle said goodbye and left with Aurora, leaving Cora to think very carefully when she opted to use humor when dealing with things involving more emotional affairs in the future. 

CORA
(Thinking to herself) That woman can be very intimidating when she wants to be. 

The next month or so was busy for Xena, Gabrielle, and the rest of the village as the preparations for the wedding were put into motion. While Xena and Gabrielle had told the others that they didn't need to do anything big, everyone else insisted on going all out for the ceremony and after-party. So despite technically being in charge, Xena and Gabrielle knew that they didn't really have much choice in the matter and decided to let their extended Amazon family do what they wanted and give them a big, beautiful wedding. Time seemed to fly by as before long it was only a few days before the Ceremony.

GABRIELLE 
Look that must be them.

Xena and Gabrielle stood by the waterfall's secret entrance to the village as a horse-drawn wagon came over the horizon. Before long it pulled up in front of them and came to a stop. Both Xena and Gabrielle smiled as they came over to the wagon and the people inside were told that they could now remove their blindfolds.

LILA 
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle watched as her sister was the first one out of the wagon and the two walked quickly towards each other and hugged.

LILA 
It's so good to see you. I've missed you.

GABRIELLE 
I've missed you too. It's been far too long.

The sisters separated as Lila got a good look at Gabrielle and noticed the vast difference in her appearance since they had seen one another last.

LILA 
Wow, you've certainly changed a lot since the last time I saw you.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
You have no idea.

Lila gave her sister a confused look.

GABRIELLE 
It's a long story, I'll explain later.

Gabrielle then greeted her parents who were both very happy to see her again. Meanwhile, Xena hugged her mother after her brother Toris helped her out of the wagon.

XENA 
Hi mother.

CYRENE 
Oh, it's so good to see you, Xena.

Xena smiled as she was finally released from her mother's grip.

XENA 
Same here. I'm really glad you could come.

CYRENE 
Don't be silly Xena, I wouldn't have missed your finally marrying Gabrielle for the world.

TORIS
I'm just surprised that it took so long.

Xena rolled her eyes as she saw her brother climb down from the wagon and smirked.

XENA 
(Joking) Don't start with me Toris or my boot will end up somewhere that'll make you have to stand for the whole ceremony.

Cyrene chuckled and shook her head at her adult children as Xena and Toris laughed and shared a quick hug. Meanwhile, Gabrielle's parents were now out of the wagon and Gabrielle hugged both of them.

HECUBA 
I can't believe that my little Gabrielle is getting married.

HERODOTUS 
If someone told me when you left home to go follow Xena around that I'd be attending the wedding between you two I would've been more than a little skeptical.

Gabrielle smiled. It had taken a long time but her family finally had accepted the fact that Xena hadn't taken Gabrielle away from them and that Gabrielle was happy and exactly where she wanted to be. So she was glad that her family had grown to like Xena and were happy to be there with her when she married the one person that Gabrielle knew that she was meant to spend the rest of eternity with. After Xena and Gabrielle greeted one another's families they accompanied the women into the village and let Toris and Herodotus be shown where they would be staying outside of the village. After a tour of the village Xena and Gabrielle brought Aurora, their mothers, and Gabrielle's sister to the inn where Toris and Herodotus were each given a paid-for room for the duration of their stay. Everyone then gathered together for a lively dinner as they ate and caught up on the various goings on in all of their lives. Afterward, once it was getting late, Xena and Gabrielle decided to head home. Knowing that the next day was going to be a busy one for them. Even though they were welcome in the village, Cyrene, Hecuba, and Lila decided to stay at the inn instead. Saying that they didn't want to be a hassle for Xena and Gabrielle when they had plenty of other things to deal with.

XENA 
Are you sure you don't mind staying here? You know that we have plenty of room for you in the village.

Cyrene smiled.

CYRENE 
I'll be just fine here Xena. Everyone is already so busy, I'm sure they don't want some old woman to get in the way.

XENA 
You're not old and you could never be in the way.

Cyrene laughed.

CYRENE 
I'll be fine here, really.

Cyrene looked over at the table where Toris And Herodotus were having a casual chat.

CYRENE 
(Joking) And besides you know what kind of trouble you're brother can get into at times. So I'd rather stay here and make sure he makes it to the ceremony.

XENA 
(Joking) Not as much as I can get into.

CYRENE 
True. It seems like all of my children ended up being quite the handful. It's a shame that Ly...

Cyrene stopped herself from finishing, not wanting to bring up Lyceus's death and bring down what was supposed to be a happy occasion. But Xena knew what her mother was about to say.

XENA 
I know. Mother I know that I've apologized for what happened I don't know how many times, but I never meant for...

CYRENE 
No Xena. There's no need to apologize for that anymore. That was a long time ago and so much has happened since then. I only mentioned him because I know he would have been so happy for you.

XENA 
I know he would've.

CYRENE 
And he would've loved Gabrielle.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Definitely.

Cyrene smiled at Gabrielle who was next to Xena.

CYRENE 
Though I suppose that's not saying much given that I'm sure everyone does.

Gabrielle chuckled.

GABRIELLE 
You'd be surprised.

Cyrene raised a surprised eyebrow that made Gabrielle realize exactly where Xena had gotten that specific trait of hers from. Not knowing what had happened with Ares's jealousy and manipulation in an attempt to get rid of Gabrielle and take Xena for his own. Valassca's hatred and resentment of Gabrielle being queen instead of her. Then Celine's quest for vengeance against Xena and Gabrielle for the death of her mother Valassca. Or the other names that had accumulated over Xena and Gabrielle's time together.

XENA 
I'll have Gabrielle fill you in some time.

Gabrielle shook her head in mock disapproval but smiled knowing that both Xena and herself were well aware that Gabrielle rarely turned down the opportunity to tell a good story.

CYRENE 
I look forward to it.

The conversation continued to happier subjects as Cyrene and Gabrielle's parents doted on Aurora. Happy to have some time with their grandchild. This led to another story of how Xena and Gabrielle had ended up with her. Leaving everyone completely shocked but extremely happy for them as they wondered how two people could possibly live such unpredictable lives. Then with a sleeping Aurora in her arms, Gabrielle stood up as she and Xena said their goodbyes to their families until morning. The two then returned home and put Aurora to bed before climbing into their own. Gabrielle sighed contently as she felt Xena's arms around her and the two drifted to sleep. Both were filled with joy and excitement for the next day that they knew would become only the first day of the rest of their lives and whatever came after together. 

Finale

Morning sunlight poured in through the window as Xena stood in front of the mirror fidgeting with the tie on the back of her dress that didn't seem to want to stay put. She scowled as she made an annoyed growl. She was about to just cut the things off when there was a knock on the door. Sighing Xena opened it and saw her mother who smiled at her.

CYRENE 
Oh just look at you, Xena. You look beautiful.

XENA 
Thanks.

Xena let Cyrene in as she went back to fidgeting with her dress. Noticing that Xena was having a little trouble, Cyrene took over and helped secure the sash.

XENA 
Thanks, Mom. I can fight warlords and gods any day. but apparently completing a simple task like that is too much for me to handle.

Cyrene smiled as she hugged her daughter.

CYRENE 
You're just nervous that's all.

The two separated.

XENA 
Yeah, but I don't get why. It's not like I'm having second thoughts or anything. I've known for a long time now that I've wanted to spend the rest of my life with Gabrielle. So...

CYRENE 
It's normal to be nervous Xena. This is an important day for both of you. It's just the anticipation of what's to come that really does it. But you'll see once you're both standing in front of each other you'll forget all about this nervousness because you'll know that you're doing the right thing.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Thanks, I feel a little better now.

CYRENE 
Of course. You might be the great Xena, warrior princess turned Amazon queen, but I am your mother. I'd like to get you got some of your better qualities from somewhere.

The two chuckled a bit as Xena finished getting ready and Cyrene walked her out.

GABRIELLE 
Well, how do I look?

Lila smiled as Gabrielle did a little twirl to show off her wedding dress.

LILA 
You look great. Xena's gonna love it.

Gabrielle smiled as she finished putting on a few pieces of jewelry and looked at her reflection in the mirror.

GABRIELLE 
I can't believe this is really happening Lila. Me and Xena have been together for years now, been through so much. Even when we were just friends I knew that there was something special about her.

LILA 
Something special. About Xena. That's certainly putting it lightly.

GABRIELLE 
Oh, you know what I mean. But still I never really thought that we'd be here. But now that we are I know that wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

LILA 
I know. I'm happy for you Gabrielle. For both of you. And I hope that you'll have many more happy years together.

Gabrielle walked over and hugged her sister.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks.

The two pulled apart and Gabrielle headed for the door as she smiled back at Lila.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, let's go. Xena hates it when I keep her waiting.

A gentle breeze blew across the grassy area as the sound of rushing water from the waterfall could be heard. Along with the gentle songs of the few birds that were perched in the nearby trees. A crowd of people began to take their seats along the rows of benches that had been set up. Along with an arch of flowers, twigs, and greenery in the front. A decorative pedestal sat in the center of the arch. Flower petals littered the ground in a path from behind the benches that lead up to the arch. It was both simple and beautiful and the same time. The crowd talked amongst themselves as everyone there was fairly excited for the upcoming event as it drew closer by the minute. A couple of guards escorted Toris and Herodotus to their seats in the front and then walked and stood to the side to keep an eye on them, as was protocol for allowing men inside of any Amazon village. Toris simply shrugged it off as he looked around for a moment to take in the "sights". He then thought better of continuing when he remembered the very strong warning he'd gotten from Xena before being brought into the village. Basically telling him that if he was caught being anything less gentlemanly the Amazon's punishment would be the least of his worries. He shuttered as he thought of what Xena might do to him. Not only for disrespecting the Amazons but for making the day anything but perfect for Gabrielle. And Toris, like many knew that when it came to Gabrielle there was damn near nothing that Xena wasn't willing to do. So he simply sat politely as he waited for the ceremony to get underway. Which didn't take much longer as the crowd settled down when soft flutes, drums, and singing began. After a few moments, Xena walked into view as she stood at the back of the crowd. Everyone turned in their seats as Xena began walking towards the front. Her arm linked with Cyrenes who walked with her and had the smile of a very proud, happy mother. Several Whispers could be heard making comments on how lucky Gabrielle was to have an incredibly beautiful woman like Xena. Xena smirked to herself having her superhuman hearing pick up the Whispers as she thought of how wrong they were because she was the real lucky one. She made it to the front and Cyrene went and took her seat in front next to Toris. Xena stood beneath the arch in a beautiful, long, medium brown dress that flowed all the way to the ground. It was sleeveless and came over one shoulder. A golden pattern went around her midsection and shoulder that looked similar to cruddy drawn large leaves which had a rustic yet eloquent look to them. A gentle breeze sweep through Xena's long, raven hair which she had decided to keep down as she stood waiting for Gabrielle to make her appearance. She stood unmoving with an unreadable face despite feeling like a raw bundle of nerves and anxiety that she knew wouldn't go away until she saw Gabrielle come into her view. And after several very long minutes, Xena felt her heart skip a beat as Gabrielle finally stepped into view. She was in a long, multi-toned green dress that faded from light to dark on the way down which complimented her eyes beautifully. It tied around her neck, with a long sash that hung off her waist and came down the front. There was also what resembled a very light cloak that hung off her shoulders and flowed down most of the length of the dress in the opposite fading green that flowed downward, going from dark to light. Xena stood breathless for a moment as she and Gabrielle locked eyes. After a moment Xena remembered to breathe as they smiled at one another and felt all of their nerves melt away. Knowing without a doubt that this was what they wanted. Everyone watched as Gabrielle walked to the arch where Xena stood by her Hecuba and Lila, who then took their seats next to Herodotus. Xena and Gabrielle stood facing one another as they linked hands and Xena leaned her forehead on Gabrielle's.

XENA 
You look beautiful.

GABRIELLE 
Thanks. I was about to tell you the same thing.

Their lips met. And though both had only planned on it being a small loving kiss, they ended up finding themselves getting lost in the moment. That is until they heard the sound of someone clearing their throat. And reluctantly separated and they caught their breath.

CORA 
(Joking) I understand that it's been a long road to get here but if you two could just manage to restrain yourselves until after the ceremony to get all hot and heavy, I think everyone else here would appreciate that.

Gabrielle blushed as she and everyone else including Xena laughed. After a moment everyone settled down and Cora began the ceremony.

CORA 
Family, friends, and fellow Amazon sisters, we are gathered together today to witness the joining of Queen Gabrielle and Queen Xena. I'm certain that everyone here is already aware of the circumstances which led to Gabrielle granting her queenhood to Xena so we won't go into such sad matters on a day that is meant to be joyful. In short, they have decided to be joined and rule over the Amazon's together. But such a task is not to be taken lightly. As they have both learned during the required trials to prove their love, trust, and loyalty to not only each other but to the Amazon people. Which they subsequently faced and passed together. And so, now it is my great honor to preside over the official joining of these two women. Each is proven worthy of holding the lives of our people in their hands. 

Xena and Gabrielle smiled at one another as Cora spoke.

CORA 
As such I will now allow Gabrielle and Xena to speak their vows to one another.

Cora nodded for them to begin as Gabrielle chose to go first. She looked deeply into Xena's eyes as they held hands and she began to speak.

GABRIELLE 
Xena all the words in the world wouldn't be enough for me to truly express everything that I feel for you. I've never imagined growing up in a small farming village like Potidaea that I would be living the life I do with you. So much has changed from those early days of us on the road together. Though I guess my whole life has never really been the same ever since that first day our paths crossed. I felt so empty and alone before. But then you came along and everything changed. And while I didn't know what it was right then, I was drawn to you like a moth to a flame. Because what I did know was that I had to be wherever you were. And whether it was my yearning for a life that lay outside the confines of a simple village or something more that I couldn't quite explain at the time, I knew that it was a feeling that I simply couldn't ignore. And over time that feeling grew into an all-consuming fire as I realized that I loved you so much more than the best friend that you had come to be to me. Because of you Xena I've been able to see and experience so much more than what I had ever imagined. And even though the highest of highs and lowest of lows, I can't imagine my life without you and never want to be anywhere else if you're not there beside me. I love you Xena, more than I could ever say. But I hope to spend the rest of our lives and onward to an eternity with you trying.

Xena stood with tears in her eyes at the beautiful and heartfelt words as Gabrielle finished speaking. Gabrielle reached up and gently wiped Xena's eyes as Xena smiled and pressed her hand over Gabrielle's.

XENA 
(Half Joking) I probably shouldn't have let you go first. Now how am I supposed to follow that? 
(Joking) Guess that's what I get for marrying a bard.

They both smiled as after a moment Gabrielle took her hand away and Cora motioned for Xena to speak her vows next. Xena took both of Gabrielle's hands in hers as she gazed deeply into her eyes.

XENA 
Gabrielle you know that words have always been more your thing than mine but I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure that you always know just what you mean to me. Every day I wake up amazed that you're there with me. Because I know for a fact that I don't deserve to have you in my life. And that I could never be worthy of the love you've given me. I was nothing more than a lost and broken soul when you found me. You've brought light into my darkness. You see the good in me that no one else including myself sees. So while I'll never understand exactly what you see in me I could spend an eternity in Tartarus when I die and be okay with that because for all the ups and downs we've been through, having you love me has made it feel as though I've somehow already made it to the Elysian Fields. 

Gabrielle shook her head as she dried her eyes.

GABRIELLE 
You know you really should give yourself some more credit with this sort of thing Xena. Because that was beautiful.

Xena smiled as she glanced at their audience and saw a lot of them drying their eyes as well after hearing both of their heartfelt speeches to one another. Cora then carried on with the ceremony. She picked up two identical silver bracelets that were contacted by a length of brightly colored ribbon. They were simple with just a thin band of silver that had two balls that sat equidistant from one another as the band connected them on both sides.

CORA 
Now Xena, Gabrielle each of you take one of these bracelets.

Cora handed them each a bracelet and continued speaking.

CORA 
From this day forward these will be a symbol of the eternal bond that you will share. The balls represent each of you. The band itself is the connection that you share. Continuous and never-ending. The ribbon is the life that has brought you together and to this moment. And though it may Frey or break, may you're love for one another endure. Now each of you repeat after me and then slip the bracelet you hold on to the other woman's wrist.

Xena and Gabrielle gave a smile to confirm that they understood and Cora carried on.

CORA 
I Xena, take you, Gabrielle...

XENA 
I Xena, take you, Gabrielle...

CORA 
...to be my wife for the remainder of this life and the next.

XENA 
...to be my wife for the remainder of this life and the next.

CORA 
To stand with you and let no mortal or God come between us.

XENA
To stand with you and let no mortal or God come between us.

CORA 
And freely give everything that I am. Mind, body, heart, and soul.

XENA 
And freely give everything that I am. Mind, body, heart, and soul.

CORA 
To only you from this day on.

XENA 
To only you from this day on.

CORA 
Lest my heart I've given you stop beating...

XENA 
Lest my heart I've given you stop beating...

CORA 
should I ever betray these vows I've here before you today.

XENA 
should I ever betray these vows I've here before you today.

Cora then gave a slight nod and Gabrielle held out her hand as Xena slipped the bracelet she held onto Gabrielle's wrist. Cora then spoke to Gabrielle.

CORA 
I Gabrielle, take you, Xena...

GABRIELLE 
I Gabrielle, take you, Xena...

CORA 
...to be my wife for the remainder of this life and the next.

GABRIELLE 
...to be my wife for the remainder of this life and the next.
.
CORA 
To stand with you and let no mortal or God come between us.

GABRIELLE
To stand with you and let no mortal or God come between us.

CORA 
And freely give everything that I am. Mind, body, heart, and soul.

GABRIELLE 
And freely give everything that I am. Mind, body, heart, and soul.

CORA 
To only you from this day on.

GABRIELLE 
To only you from this day on.

CORA 
Lest my heart I've given you stop beating...

GABRIELLE 
Lest my heart I've given you stop beating...

CORA 
should I ever betray these vows I've here before you today.

GABRIELLE 
should I ever betray these vows I've here before you today.

Gabrielle then slid the bracelet she'd been holding on to Xena's wrist. Cora then instructed them to join the hands that the bracelets were on and she wrapped the ribbon still connecting the bracelets around their clasped hands.

CORA 
With the bonding on your bodies that are the link to your hearts, I now pronounce you bonded for life. 

Cora smiled.

CORA 
Okay, now you can kiss your wife.

Xena and Gabrielle could hardly contain their joy as they embraced into a passionate kiss as everyone else in attendance clapped and cheered. Xena and Gabrielle turned to face everyone as Xena held Gabrielle close.

XENA 
Okay now that that's done let's have some fun.

Everyone cheered again as before long the whole village was alive in a very festive atmosphere as everyone ate, drank, danced and just had a good time. The music was upbeat as Gabrielle felt a pair of very familiar arms come around her waist as she leaned back against the person behind her.

XENA 
Enjoying yourself?

GABRIELLE 
I was. But I think I'm enjoying myself far more now.

Xena smiled as she looked out at the party that had been going strong for several hours now.

XENA 
Looks like it's starting to die down a little.

GABRIELLE 
Yeah.

Xena kissed Gabrielle's neck as her hands began to roam over her body.

XENA 
You know Mother said that she'd watched Aurora tonight.

Gabrielle felt her yearning for Xena's hands in very specific places as she remembered just how long it had been since she and Xena were able to make love. She let out a sigh that Xena knew very well. Which fueled her own desire for Gabrielle that she'd practically been feeling all day.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Now why don't you and me head home?

Gabrielle shuddered with desire as Xena pulled her tighter against her.

GABRIELLE 
Don't you think everyone at our party will realize we're gone?

XENA 
It's us on our wedding night Gabrielle. And after over a month of no sex, they're probably surprised that we didn't just skip this party all together.

Gabrielle laughed as she had a good feeling that Xena was probably right. And didn't take any more convincing to leave the party for their house, and more specifically their bedroom.

SKYLA 
And there they go.

Skyla, Clover, Ephiny, and a few others stood in a group talking as they saw Xena and Gabrielle sneaking away from the party and knew full well what they were heading off to do.

EPHINY
I think that means I win ladies.

Ephiny held out her hand as a number of the other women around handed her a few dinars. One of which being Clover.

CLOVER 
(Joking tone) Yeah, yeah.
Honestly, they lasted a lot longer than I thought they would given how long they couldn't get it on.

EPHINY 
(Joking) "Get it on"? Okay. Keeping it classy Clover.

Clover shrugged.

CLOVER 
(Joking) What?? I could've said given how long they couldn't fu...

SKYLA
(Stern tone) Clover!

Not long after there was a moan as Gabrielle lay naked on the bed and felt Xena's tongue moving down her stomach. She let Xena push her legs further apart! as she reached the object of her desires. Xena lay on her stomach as she lightly touched Gabrielle's center, running her finger along her opening. Gabrielle shuddered as Xena continued to lightly stroke her for a few moments.

GABRIELLE 
Xena please, it's been too long. I don't think I can handle this teasing.

Xena smirked at her as she moved her fingers up and down Gabrielle's womanhood a few more times. Feeling how wet they had already gotten and she had barely even touched Gabrielle yet as she raised her eyebrow.

XENA 
I can tell.

Xena smiled as slid her fingers inside Gabrielle and began stroking her from within her depths. Gabrielle gave an erotic groan as she felt Xena enter her. She moaned Xena's name as she felt herself being entered repeatedly by Xena's skilled fingers, which always seemed to know just the right spot to hit that left Gabrielle to think that it might've been a good thing that they had been at odds for a bit before their wedding, because there was a very high likelihood that they would've been able to keep from giving in to their lust for one another and had broken the rule of celibacy the neither of them were too thrilled about otherwise. Gabrielle lost her train of thought as she felt Xena push deeper inside of her and moaned Xena's name as she grabbed the sheet beneath her. Xena's movements continued as she felt Gabrielle begin to push herself against her hand. She then placed her free hand on Gabrielle's stomach to keep her still as she continued weaving her fingers in and out of her. She heard Gabrielle whimper slightly and smirked as she used her thumb to brush against Gabrielle's most sensitive area. Gabrielle lightly moaned as she felt Xena come in contact with her little nub. Xena repeated the action for a few moments before focusing her hand's movements on moving inside of Gabrielle's netherlands. However, that specific area on Gabrielle wasn't left unattended for long as Gabrielle's grip on the sheets tightened when Xena's lips found their way around her clit and Gabrielle felt her beginning to suck on the highly sensitive area. Gabrielle's toes dug into the bedding as she felt herself already on the verge of release. She cried out Xena's name as she pleaded with her not to stop what she was doing. Xena weaved her fingers in and out of Gabrielle faster knowing that Gabrielle's climax was close she released Gabrielle's clit and flicked her tongue over it several times before taking it back between her lips and she sucked on it with more vigorous ferocity. Feeling this, Gabrielle threw her head back as she felt her orgasm suddenly surge through her as she let out a blissful cry of ecstasy. Xena held Gabrielle's yell and felt her tighten around her still-moving fingers as she continued suckling on her clit for a couple of moments. Then slowed down and stopped her hand as she took her mouth off Gabrielle's stimulated nub. Giving it a couple of flicks with her tongue and making Gabrielle jump slightly as she felt the jolts and aftershocks of her orgasm hit her. Gabrielle sighed happily as Xena left the area between her legs and crawled up to her, laying her body on top of her. They kissed and Gabrielle could taste herself on Xena's lips as she mentioned and then Seductively commented that she much preferred the way Xena tasted though. Which got a very high eyebrow raise and smirk in response.

XENA 
(Seductive tone) Well, I do aim to please I suppose.

Gabrielle scooted down a little as Xena crawled up to the head of the bed and straddled Gabrielle's head as she remained on her knees. Gabrielle placed her hands on Xena's thighs as she brought Xena's femininity to her mouth. Xena groaned in pleasure as she felt Gabrielle's tongue press inside of her. Gabrielle wasted no time in hungerly sweeping her tongue and lips all over Xena's sex which she knew was practically aching with need. Xena grabbed the headboard of the bed as she felt Gabrielle moving her tongue inside her. It wasn't long until Xena was unable to resist moving against Gabrielle as she felt Gabrielle's tongue press further into her. Gabrielle moaned into Xena with sent a very nice vibration into Xena's center. Xena's head fell back slightly as Gabrielle continued probing Xena's core with exspertees. It wasn't long until Xena felt the rush of her orgasm beginning as she gripped the headboard tighter. She groaned and Gabrielle pulled her closer and moved her tongue faster knowing that Xena was almost at her peak. Xena shuddered as Gabrielle began repeatedly running her tongue over her clit and it was only moments later when Xena's orgasm hit and she let out a euphoric yell as her high hit her in waves of sheer bliss. Gabrielle ran her tongue up Xena's womanhood a few more times before Xena slid back and covered Gabrielle's body with hers as they met for several deep, passionate kisses. Whether it was their lack of lovemaking for a while, the atmosphere of the day, or just their general need and desire for one another they couldn't seem to get enough of one another as they quickly found themselves sitting across from each other pressing against each other as they thrust their hips. Their heat meeting as each movement drove them both closer to another climax. One of Xena's arms held Gabrielle around the waist holding her close as the other was placed a little behind her as she used to brace herself as they thrust against one another. Gabrielle held on to Xena's shoulders and neck as they began to move faster, both feeling their next orgasms just over the horizon. The room was filled with pleasure their fueled cries as they felt their orgasmic floodgates open and they were both swept up into the crashing waves of their love and desire for one another. Xena and Gabrielle held one another as they kissed and felt their current orgasms beginning to subside. They sat there for a few moments before Xena laid back and pulled Gabrielle on top of her as Gabrielle began moving against Xena once again.

GABRIELLE 
God's Xena, that was... Mm, I don't really know how to describe what that was.

XENA 
Good, I hope.

GABRIELLE 
(Sleepily) Good doesn't even come close to how that felt.

Gabrielle and Xena lay wrapped in one another's embrace after they come down from their final climaxes, the number of which was unknown as Xena had lost track after the fourth one of hers. 

XENA 
(Joking) if that's what happens after we don't have sex for a while, I think we might have to try doing that more often. 

Xena shifted a little and Gabrielle noticed her tense very, very slightly.

XENA 
(Joking) Then again that might end up being a bit dangerous.

Gabrielle gave Xena a concerned look.

GABRIELLE 
Gods Xena did I hurt you? I'm sorry I never meant to. Why didn't you say something? I...

Xena placed her finger on Gabrielle's lips to stop her worrying.

XENA 
I'm fine Gabrielle I promise. You didn't do anything to hurt me or anything that I didn't want you to do.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
(Joking) All it is is the result of a little too much friction that I don't regret for one single second. And would more than gladly do it all over again.

Relieved, Gabrielle laid her head on Xena's chest as Xena held her as the need for sleep began to fall over both of them. Gabrielle idly ran her fingertips over Xena's stomach as smiled happily.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you, Xena.

Xena raised her head slightly to look at Gabrielle.

XENA 
For what?

GABRIELLE 
Just everything. You've done so much for me. And I know that the past number of months have been rough and I didn't make it any easier with my feeling insecure and pushing you away.

XENA 
Gabrielle, we've been over this. I already told you that I understand that you were going through some stuff. I don't hold any of that against you.

GABRIELLE 
I knew. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate you and everything you do for me. Even when it's not easy.

XENA 
I should be the one saying that to you. The problems you've had to deal with because of me far outweighs anything like that coming from you. Trust me. I just hope you remember that you never have to walk through anything alone. I'm always gonna be by your side.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Just like I'll be there for you.

Xena smiled in response.

XENA 
And I would never want it any other way. I love you, Gabrielle. And I always will.

GABRIELLE 
I love you too Xena. Always.

The two shared a gentle kiss before settling down and happily drifted off to sleep. Their dreams filled with the beautiful memories of the day's events. Of which they would never forget. Along with the worthwhile trials they had faced together. And even though they now both held the title of Amazon queen, to Xena they would always be the princess and her queen. Regardless of what happened which had led to their sacraments for Substantiation.

"THE PRINCESS AND THE QUEEN" series    
SCROLL VII: SACRAMENTS FOR SUBSTANTIATION 
   END ❤️

* ~~~ >>--❤--> ~~~ *

TO BE CONTINUED IN THE 8th STORY OF THE SERIES...

 

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy