THE SEVEN

Tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

SUMMARY:
When a group of Demons representing each of the seven deadly sins break free from where they've been imprisoned for centuries and began to wreak havoc. It falls on Xena and Gabrielle to find a way to stop the demons before they send the whole world into complete madness and chaos. But with so many powerful foes up against them, can Xena and Gabrielle overcome the powerful Demons and save countless people from the demons rule? Or will the overwhelming odds simply be too much for them this time? And will they too fall victim to the group of powerful demons influence?

INTRO:
Greed, sloth, envy, gluttony, wrath, lust and pride. These are known to mankind as the seven deadly sins. As such throughout time people have fallen victim to the enticements that come with each of these. And many have suffered the consequences. But the same can be said for the opposite. For there are also a great many who have resisted the temptations and fought them back. For all of this is merely a part of what it means to be human. And it falls on us to decide how we react when faced with these moral conflicts. But what if these temptations were to become quite literally irresistible. One could imagine that the world itself would plunge into complete madness and chaos. And would ultimately be destroyed. But that is the very fate that the world nearly suffered many centuries ago. If it weren't for a pair of great heros who stepped up and put an end to the madness, saving humanity. But unfortunately due to the passage of time, this great act of heroism has become all but been forgotten. That is except for one long lost account of the event.It was recently uncovered in newly unearthed ancient ruins. The author remains unknown. Though upon inspection there seems to be no reason to doubt the documents legitimacy.  As such the following account is a long lost adventure of Xena and Gabrielle and how they saved the world from the seven deadly sins.

Pt.1

The tavern was bustling as Xena and Gabrielle sat down at the only table that wasn't already occupied. Gabrielle waved down one of the servers and ordered Xena and herself some food and drinks. The woman took their orders and moved on to the next customers. Xena leaned back in her chair as she casually looked around the crowded room, assessing any potential threats as she always did in nearly any situation. Gabrielle looked at her and smirked.

GABRIELLE 
Do you ever relax? 

XENA 
I think we both know the answer to that.

GABRIELLE 
Come on Xena. We're in a big walled in city with plenty of guards and no sign of trouble anywhere. Don't you think it'll do you some good to let your guard down just for a little bit. 

XENA 
My guard being down is a good way to get us killed. You should know that by now.

GABRIELLE 
Trust me Xena I know full well that trouble seems to find us everywhere we go. And I'm not saying that we shouldn't be prepared, but you really should try not to be so tense all the time. Always being on edge isn't good for you.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Neither's a sword in the back.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

XENA 
What's up with the sudden concern over my stress level anyway. 

GABRIELLE 
it's not sudden. And lately things have been even crazier then usual. I just want to make sure you're not wearing yourself out that's all. I don't want anything to happen to you Xena.

Xena gave Gabrielle a smirk.

XENA 
(Joking) Look if you're that concerned I know something we can do that's a great stress release 

Gabrielle rolled her eyes at Xena's insinuating comment, as the server came over, set down their food and then went on to the other patrons.

GABRIELLE  
Ha ha. I think we do that plenty. 

Xena chuckled a little.

GABRIELLE 
I'm serious.

XENA 
(Slightly annoyed sigh) You're not gonna let this go, are you?

GABRIELLE 
(Smirking) I think we both know the answer to that.

Xena gave Gabrielle a slightly annoyed look as they both began to eat their meal.

XENA 
Fine. I'll look into different ways to try and relax more often.

Gabrielle gave Xena a satisfied smile as she retrieved a rolled up paper she had hidden in her boot and put it in front of Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Good. And I have just the idea for the perfect place to start.

XENA 
I don't think I like the sound of that.

Gabrielle encouraged Xena to read the scroll. Reluctantly Xena picked the paper up and read what was written on it. Once done she gave Gabrielle a blank expression.

XENA 
You have got to be kidding me. A whole week at some fancy spa. Gabrielle you should know that there's no way I'm gonna do that.

GABRIELLE 
Oh come on Xena. It'll be fun.

XENA 
Not gonna happen. And how did you even find this place anyway?

GABRIELLE 
There was some woman handing those scrolls out to people at the last city we were in. I checked it out and I really think we should go.

XENA 
No.

GABRIELLE 
I really think you could use this. Maybe afterwards you won't be so cranky.

XENA 
(Annoyed tone) I am not cranky.

Irritated at the conversation, Xena clenched the piece of bread that she had in her hand causing it to crumble onto the table in front of her.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Right, and that piece of bread really had it coming

Xena sighed as she let the rest of the crumbs still in her hand fall to the table.

XENA 
Fine, you win. We'll go. 

GABRIELLE 
(Smiling) I thought you'd see it my way.

Xena and Gabrielle finished eating and headed out of the tavern. As they were leaving a group of townsfolk came in. As they passed by each other Gabrielle accidentally bumped into one of them. The man immediately turned around and grabbed her by the arm.

MAN
(Angry tone) Why don't you watch where you're going?

GABRIELLE 
Hey it was an accident.

Gabrielle went to pull away, when he grabbed her other arm too as he lifted her off the ground. Gabrielle tried to get free.

GABRIELLE 
Let me go.

MAN 
You know when you knock into someone you're supposed to say sorry. Or didn't anyone teach you any manners?

XENA 
Apparently no one taught you any. Or you wouldn't be ruffing up a woman for something so ridiculous.

The man looked over to see Xena standing there just as she threw a punch and hit him right in the face. He immediately dropped Gabrielle and held his nose as his blood pooled in his hand.

MAN
My nose! You bitch!

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Swearing too? I think someone's in need of a lesson in respect.

The man was not amused by Xena's comment. He angerly yelled as he threw a punch at her. Xena didn't flinch as she caught his fist. She began twisting his wrist slightly. The man cried out in pain.

XENA 
Now what do you say to my friend here for being so rude?

MAN
Screw you.

XENA 
Wrong answer. Try again.

Xena wrenched on his wrist causing the man more pain.

MAN 
Gah! Okay, okay I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

XENA 
That's more like it.

Xena let the man go.

XENA 
Now get lost.

The man held his wrist as he left the tavern. 

GABRIELLE 
What was his problem?

XENA 
Who knows. 

GABRIELLE
(Joking) Maybe he could use a trip to that spa too.

Xena chuckled as they walked outside.

XENA 
(Joking) Yeah send him in my place.

Xena and Gabrielle got Argo and rode off towards the spa. But what was ment to be a relaxing trip, would soon become anything but. Infact unknown to them, that brief encounter with the man at the tavern was a small glimpse of a much bigger and far more dangerous problem that the two of them would soon find themselves facing.

Pt.2

Xena and Gabrielle traveled to the spa that Gabrielle had convinced a reluctant Xena to go to. It wasn't very far from the city they were just in. So it was a relatively easy trip. Once they arrived, Xena stood outside,  looking at the building, not really wanting to go in.

GABRIELLE 
Well come on.

Gabrielle walked inside as Xena sighed and followed. Once inside the two walked around as Xena checked out the facility. Eventually they found themselves it the hot spring room. So they decided to take a soak.

GABRIELLE 
See, now isn't this nice Xena?

XENA 
It's fine.

Xena smiled a little.

GABRIELLE 
I knew once we got here you'd actually like it. I think this is just what we've been needing. Just a few days to relax, enjoy ourselves and not worry about all the other things that we normally deal with.

XENA 
Alright I suppose you win this one.

GABRIELLE 
(Smiling) I knew I would.

They both laughed a little as Xena sunk a little further into the water, enjoying the hot spring. They relaxed and enjoyed their time of leisure. But their down time was soon interrupted when they heard a loud commotion coming from outside the room. Both Xena and Gabrielle quickly got out of the water, threw on their clothes and dashed outside to investigate. As they exited the room, they saw a group of people arguing and yelling loudly. It looked like things were about to devolve into an wll out brawl at any moment. Xena and Gabrielle quickly stepped in to try to defuse the situation.

XENA 
What's going on here?

One of the men in the group spoke up.

MAN 
I caught this man trying to sneak a peek at my wife while she was in the bath house.

Xena looked at the man accused.

XENA 
Is that true?

MAN ACCUSED
Well yes but I don't know why I did that.

MAN
What do you mean you don't know why you did it?! What kind of ridiculous excuse is that?!

MAN ACCUSED 
I'm serious. I've never done anything like that before. I honestly don't know what came over me.

MAN 
You don't actually expect me to believe that do you?! You're just a creep who needs to be taught a lesson.

The angry man grabbed the other by his shirt and prepared to punch him. Xena quickly grabbed his arm, stopping him.

XENA 
Hold on a minute.

The man looked at Xena wondering why she stopped him.

MAN
Don't tell me you're okay with this sort of behavior? What if he had been spying on you?

XENA 
Of course what he did is unacceptable. But something he said seems a bit odd.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean?

Xena looked back at the accused man.

XENA 
What exactly did you mean by you don't know why you did that?

MAN ACCUSED 
It's difficult to explain.

XENA 
If I were you I'd start trying otherwise you're gonna find yourself in an even worse spot than you are now.

The accused man nervously looked down at the floor as he spoke.

MAN ACCUSED
Well you see I wasn't looking at the woman with any sort of sexual desire or anything like that.

XENA 
Is that so? Then what was the purpose of you sneaking a peak at a naked woman?

MAN ACCUSED 
Honestly when I first saw her it was saw her it was by complete accident. I wasn't paying attention and I walked into the wrong room. But then when I saw her I got this strange feeling.

MAN 
Yeah it's called arousal you pervert!

MAN ACCUSED 
Wait no, that's not what I meant.

XENA 
Then what do you mean by "a strange feeling"?

MAN ACCUSED 
I don't know why, but I felt this uncontrollable feeling like how lucky whoever she was with was. And I hated them for it. I remember thinking how much I just wanted  what they had.

XENA 
Sounds like you were envious of him.

MAN ACCUSED 
Yes and I don't know why. I'm not normally like that. And it's not as though I find the woman specifically attractive. So I don't understand where that feeling came from.

GABRIELLE 
Interesting.

XENA 
Indeed.

MAN 
Oh come on, you're seriously buying this trash are you?!

XENA 
Well it does seem like a very odd lie. No one in their right mind would come up with something like that and expect to be believed.

MAN 
Exactly. So why do?

XENA 
I never said I believed him necessarily. I merely said that his story seemed too odd to actually be a good lie. I doubt someone would be that foolish.

MAN ACCUSED 
I'm not making any of this up, I swear.

The other man grumbled to himself. As Xena looked at the young man.

XENA 
It might be best if you leave.

MAN ACCUSED 
Yes. I'll go. I don't want any more trouble. And I really am sorry.

With that the young man left. The other man, though unsatisfied with the end result of the situation, turned away as he and his wife left as well. Leaving Xena and Gabrielle standing there.

GABRIELLE 
Not exactly the relaxing start to this trip I had in mind.

XENA 
(Joking) And here I thought you had that planned.

GABRIELLE
(Sarcasm) Funny.
Hopefully the rest of our time here will be a little less eventful.

With that Xena and Gabrielle went back into the hot spring. Later that night they were in their room. The spa also had an inn attached for travelers to stay at. Xena sat on the side of the bed as she got ready to go to sleep. As Gabrielle was already resting comfortably under the covers. She looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You know if you really don't want to stay here we can leave tomorrow. I know this isn't really your thing. I just thought it might be something nice and different.

Xena looked at Gabrielle and smiled.

XENA
No it's fine. I appreciate what you're trying to do. Besides I'm actually enjoying myself.

GABRIELLE 
You don't have to just say that Xena.

XENA 
I'm not. You were right it's good for us to slow down and take it easy sometimes. Besides you've heard that saying, all work and no play makes you a dull person.

Gabrielle chuckled.

GABRIELLE 
I highly doubt anyone's ever thought of you as being dull.

Xena smiled as she got in bed. She and Gabrielle settled down for the night. The sun rose over the horizon as morning came. Gabrielle awoke to the sunlight shining in through the window. She slowly and sleepily sat up and yawned as she stretched. She noticed that Xena was already out of bed. Though that was almost always the case.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Wow I actually get to sleep in for a change.

Gabrielle got up, got dressed and headed out to find Xena and get some breakfast. As she came into the dining hall, she saw Xena sitting at a table by herself with some food. Gabrielle went over and sat down with her.

XENA 
(Joking) I was beginning to think you'd never wake up.

GABRIELLE 
Oh come on Xena, it's not that late.

Xena smirked as she handed her a plate of food. They sat and ate as the other people staying there went about their business. As they were finishing their meal, Xena heard people talking behind her.

MAN 1
You think you're sooo much better than me don't you?!

MAN 2
What are you talking about?

MAN 1
You're always showing off you're fancy fighting techniques and just rubbing it in my face. Well I'm sick of it!

Xena looked back just in time to see one of them throw a plate at the other. He ducked out of the way as the plate sailed past him and headed straight for Xena. Fortunately her quick reflexes allowed her to easily catch it. Though she wasn't exactly thrilled about nearly being hit in the face as a casualty of some immature, petty argument. Before Gabrielle could say anything, Xena stood up and stormed over to the pair. She slammed her hands down on the table, getting both of their attention.

XENA 
You know if you have to fight over something so stupid, you could at least have the decency to not make other people around you collateral damage.

MAN 1
Well this is all his fault. If he wasn't such a show off there wouldn't be a problem.

MAN 2
In what way have I been showing off?

MAN 1
I don't know. You just do.

MAN 2
Where is this even coming from? We've been friends for years and you've never mentioned this before. In fact you've always been really supportive of my battle techniques. So why the sudden change?

As the two men continued to argue as if Xena wasn't even there, she caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. But before she could do anything it was gone.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) What was that? Somethings not right here. First the man last night, and now this. Why do both situations feel so similar? Not to mention how needlessly aggressive that other man was towards Gabrielle the other day.

Gabrielle noticed that Xena appeared to be thinking about something.

GABRIELLE 
Is something wrong Xena?

XENA 
Don't you think that people have been acting strange the past few days.

GABRIELLE 
I guess so. But you don't think that it's connected do you?

XENA 
It could be. But something tells me that these situations aren't all simply coincidence. I have a feeling that there may be something bigger going on.

GABRIELLE 
Your instincts are almost always right. So what should we do?

XENA 
Nothing for now. Though I think our stay here may have gotten a bit more interesting.

Pt.3

Xena and Gabrielle casually walked around the spa grounds. Taking in the the scenery around them. It was calm and peaceful.

GABRIELLE 
It's really beautiful here isn't it xena?

XENA 
Sure.

They continued walking until they came to a small bench and decided to sit. Xena idlely looked out at the garden.

GABRIELLE 
So what do you wanna do today?

Xena shrugged.

XENA 
I figured we could just do whatever you wanted. Since this was your idea anyway.

GABRIELLE 
This trip isn't just for me you know. I want you to enjoy yourself too.

XENA 
I am. 

Xena smiled at Gabrielle. Reassuring her. They sat in the garden for a while. Then they headed back inside. As Xena and Gabrielle were entering the building, they heard a loud cash and a screaming coming from the spa entrance.

GABRIELLE 
Was that someone screaming?

XENA 
Come on.

Xena and Gabrielle ran inside and through the building, until they reached the front door. There was another scream. Xena flung the doors open. As they raced inside, they saw a group of people standing in front of the stairs to the second floor.

XENA 
What's going on?

The crowd was too distracted by what they were looking at. Everyone in the group seemed visibly upset by what whatever it was. Xena pushed through the crowd to see what was going on. Once she made her way to the front of everyone, she was met with an awful sight. Because there on the floor was a woman. And she was undoubtedly dead. Gabrielle made it to the front of the group and saw the deceased woman.

GABRIELLE 
Gods. What happened?

XENA 
That what I would like to know.

Xena crouched down and carefully examined the body. Afterwards she turned to the crowd.

XENA 
What happened here?

The crowd people in the crowd looked at each other. But no one answered.

XENA 
Well? Surely at least one of you saw something?

Again nobody came forward. Gabrielle crouched next to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Do you know what happened to her?

XENA 
Not exactly sure yet. But from what I can tell, her neck is broken.

Xena stood up and looked around the room. She was quick to notice that the railing on the second floor looked to be leaning outward. Xena walked up the stairs and to the railing. She gently jiggled the railing just to check how lose it was. It didn't move much. She called down to the owner of the spa. Asking if the owner knew if railing had been lose. The owner told her that to his knowledge it wasn't. Xena was about to come back down when she saw scuff marks on the floor next to the railing. Seeing this confirmed her suspicions. Xena walked back down stairs. She quietly pulled Gabrielle aside.

XENA 
Well I don't think we're gonna be able to enjoy the relaxing stay here you had planned. 

GABRIELLE 
Well with not someone dying. Obviously.

XENA 
Not just dying. This woman was murdered.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure?

XENA 
Yes. There are signs of a struggle near the railing up stairs. Someone pushed her.

GABRIELLE 
Any idea who might have done this?

XENA 
Not yet. But one things for certain it was not an accident. And I...

Xena paused as she heard a faint laugh.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong?

XENA 
Did you hear that?

GABRIELLE 
Hear what?

XENA 
I could swear I just heard someone laugh.

GABRIELLE 
I don't see anyone around here laughing.

XENA 
Exactly.

Xena quickly walked out of the building. Gabrielle followed. As they got outside they both heard the laughter again. Then they heard someone someone speaking.

?
Oh it's been ages since I've had so much fun. Ah humans are such easy creatures to manipulate. I had almost forgotten how good it feels to do my thing. It's always fascinating to watch how you so easily devolve into madness.

Xena drew her sword as she looked around for whoever was speaking.

XENA 
Alright who are you. Show yourself.

Xena and Gabrielle heard the unknown voice laugh again.

?
Oh very well. I suppose revealing myself won't hurt. After all it's not like you can do anything to stop us anyway.

XENA 
Us? Who are you and what are you doing?

As Xena finished speaking there was a small flash. And then there was someone standing before Xena and Gabrielle. Neither of them had any idea who this was. But from what they could tell, whoever had just appeared was certainly not a god.

XENA 
Okay now just who are you? 

GABRIELLE 
I think a better question might be what are you?

The mysterious being smirked as he crossed his arms.

?
I guess it has been an extremely long time since you humans have seen any of us. So I'm not too surprised that you wouldn't know who I am by looking at me. Or any of us for that matter.

Xena scowled as she pointed her sword at the mysterious being.

XENA 
I highly suggest that the next thing out of your mouth is the answer to my question. Or else.

?
(Condescending tone) Ooo aren't you scary with your little sword.

The being got a closer look at Xena's weapon.

?
Actually now that I got a better look, that sword is quite Impressive. I must admit I'm jealous.

The being chuckled a bit.

?
Or I guess you could say that I'm green with...

XENA 
Envy.

The being did a showoffish bow as it smirked at Xena.

ENVY
At your service. That's right I am the demon Envy. And now that me and my associates are finally free, let's just say when it comes to you humans things are going to get real exciting.

Pt.4

Xena and Gabrielle stood looking at the being who just revealed himself as a demon named Envy.

XENA 
So your names Envy. As in the emotion?

Envy gave a cocky smirk.

ENVY 
That's right. I'm the physical embodiment of all things envious and everything that goes with it.

XENA 
So you're the one who's been causing trouble.

ENVY 
Well I can't take all the credit.

XENA 
Right you mentioned "your associats". So just who were you talking about?

ENVY 
You're aware that there are demons. And a vast number of us too. As with humans, we demons can very greatly from one another. From powers, to status, to roles. Each of us has our own unique place in the demon realm.

XENA
Get to the point.

ENVY  
I'm sure you've heard of what's known as the seven deadly sins?

GABRIELLE 
We have.

ENVY 
Well you see I am part of a group of highly elite and powerful demons known in the demon world as The Seven. Or as we were known to humans, Sin Demons. Anyway as the name The Seven suggests, there are seven of us. Each representing the embodiment for one of the seven deadly sins. Lust, pride, sloth, greed, gluttony, wrath and yours truly envy. 

XENA 
What are you doing here?

ENVY 
Well after centuries of imprisonment we finally found a way to free ourselves and return to the human realm to at long last begin our rightful rule over you pathetic humans. As we should have been able to do so long ago.

GABRIELLE 
So that's it. You want to rule over humanity. As if we'd just let to a bunch of demons take control over our lives like that.

ENVY 
Let us. Ha! As if you humans could do anything to stop it.

GABRIELLE 
Just watch.

Gabrielle glared angerly at the demon. Though Xena caught something that Envy had said.

XENA 
I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned breaking free from your imprisonment.

Envy sighed a little.

ENVY 
Oh yeah, that. Not that it matters now, but long ago as we were just about to begin our rule. We were taken by surprise when some human with extraordinary power. He managed to seal us away within the demon realm. That's where we've spent all these centuries, trapped. That is until recently.

GABRIELLE 
How did you even escape?

ENVY 
None of us are exactly sure about what happened. But for some reason the barrier keeping us trapped is gone. Thanks to that, we're now free to roam this realm and do as we please once again.

XENA 
Not if I stop you.

Xena quickly grabbed her chakrum and threw it at Envy. The demon just stood there as the projectile came flying at him. He moved his head slightly as the weapon flew past him. Though his arrogance was short lived when he realized that Xena's chakrum had managed to just barely graze his cheek, leaving a small cut. Envy put his hand up to his face, feeling the wound and seeing that Xena's attack had drawn blood as Xena's chakrum returned to her. The demon was clearly shocked by the fact that Xena was able to do anything against him.

XENA 
(Condescending tone) What's wrong, did a "pathetic human" just manage to do something to one of the "all powerful sin demons"?

Envy glared at Xena.

ENVY
I don't know who you think you are human. But I'll be sure to make you regret that.

The demon Envy began walking towards Xena and Gabrielle. As he did, both of them could feel raw emotion radiating from the demon. As he got closer Xena began to feel an extreme feeling of envy building within her. This was clearly the effects of the demons power. It began to become increasingly intense. So much so it felt as though she was about to be consumed by it. All Xena could think about was random thoughts of things that made her envious. Her mind flashed back to her dark days. She remembered how strong this feeling was back then. As this was going on, Gabrielle saw that Xena appeared to be in some sort of trance. She tried to get her to snap out of it.

GABRIELLE
Xena. Xena!

But Xena didn't respond. Gabrielle quickly drew her sais as she turned towards Envy.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know what you're doing to her, but it stops now.

Gabrielle charged at Envy. But as she got closer she was forced to stop., as she too began to feel the effects of the demons power. She quickly backed off to avoid falling under his spell.

GABRIELLE
(Thinking  to herself) I can't get near him.

She ran over to Xena and tried to break her from Envy's control. But as she did, Xena turned and looked at her with an almost vacant expression on her face. Gabrielle could see Xena's eyes beginning to turn a bright green.

GABRIELLE 
What do I do? Xena wake up. Whatever he's doing to you, you have to fight it. Xena!

But Xena didn't respond.

ENVY
Your wasting your time. Once I have a hold of someone like this, there's no stopping it. In a few moments she will be completely overtaken by my influence. I'll make it so that her very existence will revolve around nothing but an inescapable feeling of envy. It will become so unbearable she will do literally anything to make it stop. And I do mean anything.

Those ominous words gave Gabrielle a horrible pit in her stomach. 

GABRIELLE 
No, Xena.

She continued to try and awakened Xena from her trance, refusing to give up. The demon just laughed at Gabrielle's relentless, but clearly pointless attempts to snap Xena out of his spell. Just as all hope seemed lost, Gabrielle heard an unfamiliar voice.

?
Envy. There you are.

Gabrielle looked to see that another being had suddenly appeared. Based on the fact that they seemed to know Envy, she quickly came to the conclusion that it must be one of the other sin demons.

ENVY 
Greed, what are you doing here?

GREED
We've been waiting on you. Stop messing around with these humans and come on. We have more important things to do.

ENVY 
But she...

GREED
I normally don't care if you go off and do your own thing, but did you forget that you know who does not like to be kept waiting. You know how she gets when things don't go just like she wants.

Envy gave an annoyed sigh.

ENVY 
(Irritated tone) Fine.

Envy released his hold over Xena. As soon as he did, Xena dropped to her hands and knees. The intense feeling of envy and all the memories from her past involving it began to quickly fade from the forefront of Xena's mind. Gabrielle saw Xena's eyes return to normal. She briefly looked over towards Envy and Greed just in time to see them fade from sight, then they were gone. Gabrielle turned her attention back on Xena.

GABRIELLE 
You okay?

XENA 
I think so.

GABRIELLE 
What exactly did he do to you?

Xena explained what she experienced while under the effects of Envy's power.

XENA 
I'm lucky he stopped when he did. I don't know how much longer I could've endured that and come back from it. These demons are extremely dangerous and need to be stopped.

GABRIELLE 
How? That was only one of them and we couldn't do anything against him. What are we supposed to do against seven of these demons?

XENA 
I don't know yet. But we have to do something to send them back to where they came from. We don't have a choice. All of humanity depends on it.

Pt.5

Xena stood up, after being released from the demon Envy's hold. The demon had left the area for the moment, after the demon Greed came and spoke to him. Whit no immediate threats around, Xena and Gabrielle needed to figure out how they were going to stop these powerful demons.

GABRIELLE
What are we going to do now? 

XENA 
Don't know yet. But we need to go and start looking for those demons.

GABRIELLE 
What do you plan on doing when we find them? Clearly just straight up fighting them isn't going to work.

XENA 
I'm working on it. Either way staying here won't accomplish anything. Come on we need to stop them before people get hurt.

With that Xena and Gabrielle left the spa in search of the Sin Demons. They made their way to a nearby village. As they were passing through, Xena and Gabrielle couldn't help but notice that the people there seemed to be acting strangely. Everyone was either sitting around or lazily walking around not really doing anything. They all seemed almost zombie like in their moments.

GABRIELLE 
What's wrong with them?

XENA 
I have an idea. Pretty sure there's an unwanted visitor around here.

GABRIELLE
One of those sin demons.

XENA 
Exactly. And from the looks of these people I'd say we're dealing with Sloth.

GABRIELLE 
Well that doesn't seem too bad. I mean if it's a lazy demon, how much trouble can it be. We should be able to take this one out easily.

XENA 
Maybe. But who knows what tricks it might have up its sleeve. You saw what Envy did. And look at these people. We still have to be careful. Don't let your guard down.

GABRIELLE 
Right.

Xena and Gabrielle began searching for the Sloth demon. They asked the locals if they had seen anything odd recently. They knew just out right asking about demons wasn't a good idea. That would either make them sound crazy or cause a panic amung the villagers. Neither option was a very good one. So they needed to be more discrete with their mission. Even if it made finding the demons more difficult. 

XENA 
It'll be quicker if we split up and look around. Call me if you find anything. If not meet me back here in about an hour. This village isn't that big so that should be more than enough time for us to search it.

GABRIELLE 
Got it.

Xena and Gabrielle split up and searched the village for the demon. Xena walked around for a while, but couldn't see any sign of Sloth.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself)) Maybe it moved on already. It's possible that the affects of the demons influence linger even after they leave. Maybe Gabrielle found something.

Xena headed back to the center of the village. She waited for a bit for Gabrielle to return.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) It's been over an hour. Gabrielle should be back by now.

Xena looked around her for Gabrielle, but didn't see any sign of her. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Something's not right.

Concerned, Xena walked off in the direction that Gabrielle had gone in search of the demon. Xena called out for her, but got no response.

XENA 
Where is she?

Xena kept looking. Becoming increasingly worried the longer she couldn't find Gabrielle. Finally she just began yelling for her.

XENA 
Gabrielle! Where are you?! If you can hear me say something!

Xena stood panicked, looking around. Having no clue where Gabrielle was. Or what might've happened to her. As she continued yelling for Gabrielle, Xena suddenly heard a voice come from behind her. She quickly turned around and saw Gabrielle standing there. 

GABRIELLE 
What are you yelling for Xena?

Gabrielle rubbed her eye as she yawned. Xena walked over to her. She looked at Gabrielle, slightly confused.

XENA 
Gabrielle, you look like you were you just sleeping.

GABRIELLE 
Oh, yeah while I was looking for Sloth I suddenly felt really tired. I must've fallen asleep. I guess I missed our meet up time didn't I?

XENA 
Yeah you did.

Gabrielle yawned again.

GABRIELLE 
Sorry. I just feel so tired.

XENA 
It must be Sloth. It's still here.

GABRIELLE 
I wonder why you don't seem to be being affected.

XENA 
Who knows. Maybe I didn't get close enough to it or it just isn't targeting me for some reason.

Gabrielle shrugged. Xena thought for a moment, then got an idea.

XENA 
Gabrielle I want you to show me to the spot where you started feeling tired.

Gabrielle pointed between two houses.

GABRIELLE 
I was looking back there when it hit me.

XENA 
Alright let's see what's over there.

Xena drew her sword as she began walking over to the buildings. Gabrielle followed her. As they got closer Xena heard a sound. She motioned to Gabrielle keep quiet as they moved in. They reached the buildings. Leaning against the wall to stay hidden, Xena and Gabrielle stealthily peeked around the corner. What they saw was a little surprising.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Xena look!

There laying hidden between the buildings was a strange looking creature. It appeared to be sleeping.

XENA 
(Whisper) I'm willing to bet that thing is the Sloth demon we've been looking for.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) What now?

XENA 
(Whisper) Time to rid this world of a sin demon.

Xena took out her chakrum and quickly threw it at the demon. As Xena's chakrum reached Sloth, the demon raised one of its arms and casually knocked the weapon away. Then it raised its head, looking at Xena and Gabrielle. The creature spoke in a slow, drowsy sounding voice.

SLOTH 
It appears that I've been found. How bothersome.

XENA 
Sloth I presume.

SLOTH 
I am.

XENA 
Nap times over. Time for you to leave here and go back where you came from.

SLOTH 
Sorry can't do that. I don't really like to travel. Too much work. Besides I just got here a few days ago. I''m far to tired to leave just yet.

Xena pointed her sword at the demon.

XENA 
I wasn't asking. 

Sloth groaned as it stood up.

SLOTH 
Such a pain.

Xena and Gabrielle were a bit surprised by how large Sloth was when he stood. They looked up at the demon that towered over them.

GABRIELLE 
It's huge!

XENA 
Well you know what they say. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Xena and Gabrielle readied themselves for a fight. Xena glanced at Gabrielle, making sure she was ready. Gabrielle nodded slightly, signaling that she was. Xena then turned her focus to the Sloth. Then Xena charged in, with Gabrielle close behind. Xena swung her sword at the demon. But dispite it's size and the fact that it was the personification of sloth, the creature was shockingly fast. It caught Xena's sword arm mid swing. Though momentarily caught off guard by this, Xena quickly freed herself from the demons grasp and backed off slightly.

GABRIELLE 
You wouldn't think that something representing sloth would be so fast.

XENA 
Go figure.

SLOTH 
I prefer not to do much. But when I have no choice, I like to get it done with quickly so I can go back to doing nothing.

As the demon finished speaking it crouched down as if it was preparing to do something. Before Xena or Gabrielle had time to wounder what it was doing, the demon ran past them at an incredible speed. They stood there for a moment, as they processed the predicament they found themselves in.

XENA 
This thing is gonna be a lot more difficult to deal with than I thought.

The two of them turned around to face Sloth. Xena let out her battle cry as she suddenly lept through the air towards the demon, hoping to catch it off guard. However as she reached Sloth, he quickly reached out and caught Xena in midair. His large hand wrapping around Xena's neck. He held her above the ground, as he began to tighten his grip. Xena struggled to free herself from Sloths grasp as her ability to breathe was cut off from the demons hold.

GABRIELLE
Xena!

Gabrielle raced over. She prepared drive her sais into the demon, when Sloth looked at her. Once again Gabrielle began to feel very tired. She stopped as she tried to shake off the drowsiness.

GABRIELLE 
No... I have.. to help... Xena.

Gabrielle could feel her eyes just wanting to close. She fought to keep herself awake. Meanwhile Xena was also beginning to lose consciousness, but for her it was due to lack of oxygen, as Sloth still had her in his grip. 

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn it. I can't get free from this thing.

Xena tried but couldn't get free. She struggled to break the demons grasp. Until finally her arms fell limp to her side as her eyes closed. Sloth held a motionless Xena in its clutches. 

SLOTH 
Why are humans always such a pain.

Suddenly Sloth roared and let go of Xena. She dropped to the ground and just layed there. Sloth looked down and saw Gabrielle laying at his feet. She had driven one of her sais into the demons leg.

SLOTH 
How are you still awake?!

The demon kicked Gabrielle away from him.

GABRIELLE 
Gah!

She hit the ground a few feet away. 

GABRIELLE 
I have to help Xena.

Gabrielle began to stand back up. As she did she felt Sloth try to force her into falling asleep again.

GABRIELLE 
That wont work on me anymore. I figured out a way to keep myself from falling asleep.

She took one of her sais and jabbed it into her leg. Nothing to cause a serious injury, but the jolt of pain was enough to bring Gabrielle back to her senses. Sloth looked at Gabrielle stunned by what she had just done.

SLOTH 
Crazy human.

XENA 
More like reckless. But I suppose it works, so that's something.

Sloth looked down to see Xena swinging her sword. Sloth tried to jump back, but Xena's blade managed to catch the demons leg. He staggered back. Putting some distance between Xena, Gabrielle and himself. 

GABRIELLE
Xena.

Gabrielle got over to Xena as Xena stood up.

GABRIELLE 
You okay.

Gabrielle could see a large red mark on Xena's neck in the shape of Sloth's hand. Xena rubbed her throat.

XENA 
Yeah I'll be fine. We need to focus on taking this thing down.

GABRIELLE 
Well now that we know how to free ourselves from falling asleep, it should make things at least a little easier.

XENA 
True, but doing that too much will cause its own problems. So let's try and make this quick.

Xena and Gabrielle once more stood ready to fight the sin demon known as Sloth.

SLOTH 
You two humans are more annoying than most. It's time to be rid of you once and for all.

Sloth readied himself to attack.

XENA 
Ready?

GABRIELLE 
Always.

And so the true fight against Sloth was set to begin. Could Xena and Gabrielle really overcome this powerful foe? Or would this battle be the end of them? The next few moments would decide the two sides fates.

Pt.6

The wind gently blew as Xena and Gabrielle stood across from the demon Sloth. Sloth was poised to strike again. Xena stealthily scanned the area for anything that she might be able to use to help against the demon. They were still between some houses within the village. Xena quietly spoke to Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Whisper) We're gonna need to lure him away from the village. And find a better spot for us to fight this thing. The last thing we want is for someone here to get caught up in the fight. 

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) How are we gonna do that? He's too fast, If we just try to run he'll just catch us.

XENA 
(Whisper) Don't worry about that. Just follow my lead.

GABRIELLE 
Okay. I'm ready when you are.

XENA 
Alright when I give the signal start running out of the village as fast as you can.

GABRIELLE 
You know we can't out run him.

XENA 
I know. We just need to distract him.

Sloth roared as he changed at Xena and Gabrielle again, breaking up their conversation. They quickly dove out of the way, causing Sloth to just miss ramming into them.

GABRIELLE 
That was close.

XENA 
Okay what ever you need to do, just make it out of the village. Get to the river that's not too far from here.

GABRIELLE 
The river? Xena there's no way I'm making it that far without Sloth catching me. And what about you?

XENA 
I'll be following you shortly. I just need to give us the opening that we need.

Sloth ran at them again as they once again just barely got out of the demons path. Xena took hold of her chakrum and looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Alright when I throw my chakrum you start running Okay. And what ever you do don't stop until you reach the river.

GABRIELLE 
But you...

XENA 
I'll be fine, trust me.

GABRIELLE 
(sighs) Fine. Just be careful Okay.

Xena gave Gabrielle a reassuring smile.

XENA 
Ready?

Gabrielle nodded. Sloth once again began charging at them. This time Xena threw her chakrum right at the demon. This caused Sloth to have to stop his charge in order to dodge the attack. As soon as Xena had thrown her weapon, as planned Gabrielle began running out of the village as fast as she could. Sloth noticed and ran in front of Gabrielle, blocking her path. Caught of guard Gabrielle stopped in her tracks and began to slowly back away, as the intimidating creature looked down at her.

SLOTH 
Where might you be going?

Gabrielle didn't know what to do.

XENA 
I'm not done with you.

Xena jumped in swinging her sword at the demon. Sloth quickly moved out of the way as Xena landed between him and Gabrielle. She quickly glanced at Gabrielle, signaling for her to go. Gabrielle took off running once more.

SLOTH 
You humans must not be very smart to try this again.

Sloth began to chase after Gabrielle again. But as he ran, he suddenly tripped and fell to the ground.

SLOTH 
What?

He looked back and saw a rope tied around one of his ankles with Xena holding the other end.

XENA 
I told you that we're not done here.

Sloth briefly looked back at Gabrielle who was still running for the village exit. Then he stood back up and turned towards Xena.

SLOTH 
Why must you be such a pain.

Xena gave a cocky smile.

XENA 
Why don't you do something about it.

Sloth growled in anger.

SLOTH 
I've had enough of this. You might be the most annoying human I've ever encountered.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Well now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.

Sloth roared as he changed for Xena. Xena quickly dove out of the way again. But this time she rolled right back up to her feet and began running. 

SLOTH 
You can't run from me human.

Sloth chased after Xena. She avoided the demon as she moved through the village by running between the buildings, leaping over obstacles and squeezing between areas where Sloth was too big to directly follow. Though she was avoiding him, Xena made sure to keep Sloth chasing after her. But that wasn't an issue. Xena had enraged the demon and now he was hell bent on killing her.

SLOTH 
When I catch you human I'm going to shatter every last bone in your body!

Xena yelled back at the demon as she continued to taunt the creature while she avoided him.

XENA  
I'd like to see you try.

The chase continued until Xena made it out of the village. The village sat on a large hill. Xena could see the river along with Gabrielle in the distance below. But now that she was out in the open avoiding Sloth was going to be far more difficult. She continued running towards the river. But with no obstacles between her and Sloth, the demon easily caught up to Xena. He ran full speed at her as he slammed into her, sending Xena tumbling most of the way down the hill. Gabrielle saw this from the bottom of the hill.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

She began running towards Xena.

XENA 
No Gabrielle stay there.

Gabrielle stopped as she watched Xena slowly make it back to her feet.

GABRIELLE 
(Talking  to herself) Xena what are you doing?

Xena turned to face Sloth who was slowly walking towards her as he stalked her.

XENA 
Pretty sure my bones are still intact. I'm starting to think that your just all talk.

Sloth angerly roared as he changed at Xena again. He ran at her, but due to being on such a steep hill he couldn't go full speed without running the risk of losing his balance and tripping. Xena knew that this would happen which was why she wanted to lead the demon there. Nevertheless Sloth ran for Xena. As he got close the demon jumped through the air towards Xena. Dispite being significantly slower, Sloth was still pretty fast. And Xena didn't expect him to lunge at her. She just barely was able to get out of the way as the demon went past her. Sloth landed just behind Xena. But because of the hill he couldn't come to a dead stop. His momentum caused him to fall forward, and he began to tumble down hill. Xena  looked at Sloth as he rolled down the hill. But this only lasted a moment as Xena suddenly felt her leg get yanked out from under her. She too then found herself rolling down the steep hill. She hadn't noticed it, but as Sloth had gone past her moments ago. The other end of the rope that was still attached to the demons leg from earlier had wrapped around Xena's ankle. Causing Xena to be sent rolling down the hill along with Sloth. Gabrielle helplessly watched as Xena and Sloth rolled past her. They continued tumbling down until they both wound up rolling right into the river.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle rushed over the the river bank and dove in after Xena, who along with Sloth was being carried down stream. Gabrielle swam as fast as she could towards Xena. Due to being tangled up in the rope with Sloth, Xena was unable to swim. The current pushed the both of them under the water. Gabrielle franticly continued to try and reach Xena. As she swam she noticed the waters current had begun to flow faster. She looked ahead and saw that all three of them were heading right for a waterfall. With Xena being tangled up with Sloth and unable to swim, going over the waterfall could be highly deadly. Gabrielle tried with everything she had to reach Xena. But the current was too strong. There was nothing any of them could do, as the rushing water carried all three of them over the large waterfall. The demon Sloth, Xena and Gabrielle plummeted down into the rough waters below. The air was silent with only the sound of the flowing water ringing out. With no signs of anyone beneath the waters surface.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy