Pt.8

GABRIELLE 
We got everything we need?

AMARICE 
Looks like it.

Gabrielle looked at the horses that had been loaded up with the supplies that she, Xena and the rest of their group would need for their hunting trip. She turned to those selected for the outing.

GABRIELLE 
Okay, everyone ready to head out?

The group gave a quick cheer to show their readiness.

GABRIELLE 
Great, let's get going.

Everyone got on their horses as Gabrielle walked and got a hand up into her usual spot in Argo's sattle behind Xena. And with a quick command from Xena, the mare got moving as the rest of the group followed out of the village.

GABRIELLE 
You know where we're going right?

XENA 
I remember.

The group traveled for a good while until they came to a clearing where they stopped to make camp.

GABRIELLE
Okay why don't we each pick a job and that'll get camp set up much faster.

Everyone agreed and in no time the camp ready. As it got dark the campfire got going, dinner was made and everyone ate. Afterwards Gabrielle regaled the rest of the group with one of her exciting stories.

CELINE 
I didn't know you told stories Gabrielle.

Gabrielle smiled as she sat down with everyone else around the fire.

GABRIELLE 
Well aside from being an Amazon I'm actually a bard too.

CELINE 
Oh that's really interesting. You must know all sorts of stories then.

GABRIELLE 
A good amount. 

FAUNA 
She also tells her own stories as well.

AMARICE 
(Teasing tone) Yeah and there mostly all about Xena.

WILLOW 
Oo I'd love to hear one of those. Are you in them too?

AMARICE
(Teasing/ Joking tone) Oh I don't think Gabrielle's gonna tell us one of "those" stories.

Gabrielle's cheeks turned slightly pink with embarrassment at Amarice's implication.

GABRIELLE 
Amarice! I do not write those kinds of stories.

AMARICE 
(Joking/ Teasing tone) Okay Gabrielle. I believe you.

GABRIELLE 
I don't. Tell 'em Xena.

Xena didn't say anything as she was to distracted with her own thoughts. Gabrielle called her name again and nudged her getting Xena to finally look up from sharpening her sword, having clearly not been paying attention to the conversation.

XENA 
What?

AMARICE 
(Joking/ Teasing tone) Gabrielle doesn't wanna tell us any of her naughty stories about the two of you.

GABRIELLE 
I told you I don't write those kinds of stories.

Xena smirked.

XENA
It's true, she doesn't. As much as there is that she could write about.

GABRIELLE 
(Stern tone) Xena.

Gabrielle shot Xena a very disappointing look as Xena simply gave a questioning shrug. Causing the rest of the group to laugh at the exchange. Afterwards Gabrielle did end up telling a story. One which she insisted on being appropriate for all ages. A little later after some more chatting everyone decided to head to bed. Gabrielle got settled into the blankets she had spread out for her and Xena a ways off from the others behind some bushes. She layed there as Xena came over from checking to make sure everything was safe as she usually did when they were on the road. Convinced that everything was good, Xena got into the blankets next to Gabrielle and got comfortable. After a bit Gabrielle started to feel her desire for Xena hit her. She snuggled closer to Xena as she began running her hand over Xena's body. Xena smiled to herself for a moment as she felt Gabrielle's hand on her. Then reality set in as the feelings of panic of Gabrielle discovering her pregnancy took over. True she was still too early for anyone to notice by looking, but for some reason the thought of being with Gabrielle while she was hiding being pregnant felt like a whole other type of betrayal. So as Gabrielle's hand crept lower it was stopped when Xena gently pushed it away as she turned away from her. Afterwards Gabrielle layed there for a moment before sitting up.

GABRIELLE 
Xena is there something bothering you?

Xena layed there as she looked back at Gabrielle over her shoulder.

XENA 
No why?

GABRIELLE 
It's just that it's been awhile since we've made love. And that's not really like us. 

XENA 
You don't seriously wanna do that when there's other people just over there do you?

GABRIELLE 
That's never really stopped you before. 

Gabrielle was right. Xena had never exactly been shy when it came to sex. Not that she'd be fine doing it right out in public or anything. But there had been plenty of times over the years when she would find a way to get her desires met while there were other people around. Xena thought for a moment as she tried to figure how to get out of this conversation.

XENA 
(Lying) I'm just, tired tonight Gabrielle. That's all.

There was silence as Xena turned away again and tried to go to sleep. Gabrielle sat there for a few moments as she wondered if she should bring up something that had been bothering her. Finally she spoke.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

XENA 
Yeah?

GABRIELLE 
Is there something wrong... with me?

Xena looked back at Gabrielle again.

XENA 
What do you mean?

GABRIELLE 
It's just that, well like I said before it's been awhile since we've been together. It seems like lately everytime I want to you're either tired or just not in the mood. And on top of that, you've been kind of distant lately too.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Xena sat up. She'd been so wrapped up in dealing with her unexpected pregnancy that she hadn't even realized that Gabrielle had been feeling neglected. And in more ways than one. Xena rolled over to face Gabrielle.

XENA 
I'm sorry. It's nothing that you've done wrong. It's me.

She reached over and softly brushed Gabrielle's hair away from her face.

XENA
I love you more than anything. Your everything that's good in my life. If you want me to love you tonight I will. And any other time you want.

Xena slowly moved her hand down Gabrielle's neck towards her chest. Gabrielle moaned softly as Xena began running her hand over her body. As Xena continued, Gabrielle began letting her hands roam over Xena's, only to have Xena catch her wrists and stop her. Xena began kissing along Gabrielle's neck and again stopped Gabrielle from touching her when she tried. This happened a few more times as Xena continued, leaving Gabrielle frustrated while Xena continued.

GABRIELLE 
Xena. Xena wait a minute.

Xena took her lips from Gabrielle's body as she looked at her.

XENA 
What's wrong?

GABRIELLE 
What are you doing?

XENA 
Isn't this what you wanted?

GABRIELLE 
I want to make love.

XENA 
That's what we're doing.

GABRIELLE 
No we're not. You're willing to give me love, but then you refuse to let me touch you.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Xena sat there, unsure of what to say.

GABRIELLE 
I just wanna know why. You said that it wasn't me, that there's clearly something going on with you. Xena are you not attracted to me like that anymore?

XENA 
What? Of course I am. I think you're beautiful both inside and out.

GABRIELLE 
Well what is it then Xena? You haven't been yourself lately.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) What there has to be something wrong with me just because I don't want sex?

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) Don't play dumb Xena you know that's not what I'm talking about.

Obviously Xena knew that but she couldn't tell Gabrielle that. She needed to get out of this conversation. 

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Oh what that I'm being "quiet and withdrawn"? Gabrielle if you haven't noticed I get that way when I'm thinking about my past.

GABRIELLE
(Irritated tone) Are you though? Because it seems like you've got alot more on your mind lately.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I wasn't aware that you could read minds. So since you seem to have this new power, you should already know what I'm thinking then.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) How would I know, you won't talk to me? Like that's anything new though.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Then what are you getting so upset for? You should be used to it.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I shouldn't have to be.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I don't know what to tell you then.

Gabrielle stood up and grabbed her blanket.

GABRIELLE 
That's the thing Xena, you do. You just won't. 

 Gabrielle didn't say another word as stormed off and found a spot among the others to lay down. Meanwhile.Xena sat there in silence, unsure of what she could possibly say to make this better. Knowing that Gabrielle wouldn't want to hear any sort of apology at the moment, Xena decided it would be best to just let her sleep it off. Hoping that once morning came she'd have cooled down. Not that Xena could blame her for being upset. Eventually Xena layed down and tried to get some sleep. Which was always much more difficult without Gabrielle beside her.

WILLOW 
Mmm,, this is pretty good. So you're a queen, a bard and a cook. Is there anything you can't do?

Gabrielle smiled as everyone ate their early morning breakfast.

GABRIELLE 
It's not a big deal. But I'm glad you like it.

Xena picked at her food as she looked at Gabrielle. Her thoughts still on their fight from the night before. She hated making Gabrielle so upset and wanted nothing more than to make it up to her. After thinking for a while, Xena got up from the rock she'd been sitting on and snuck away. Not long after she came back as everyone was beginning to pack up camp. She spotted Gabrielle putting her rolled up blanket with the rest of their supplies and walked over.

XENA 
Here I'll get that.

Xena picked up their packs, brought them over to Argo and hooked them in their usual spot on the saddle. Gabrielle didn't say anything as she picked up her staff and walked over as Xena finished and turned around.

XENA 
Oh here I found these earlier.

Xena took out a handful of flowers that she had spotted. She knew that they were Gabrielle's favorite and thought they might help smooth things over between them a little. Gabrielle looked at the plants and didn't even smile as she took them.

GABRIELLE 
(Flat tone) Oh thanks.

Xena sighed knowing that Gabrielle was clearly still mad at her. So Xena decided not to push it and changed the subject.

XENA 
Uh, so you think we'll have any luck and get some good deer today?

Gabrielle just shrugged as she looked at the other's, seeing that everyone was just about ready to go. Xena sighed and turned and got up on Argo's back as Amarice rode over on her own horse.

AMARICE 
Looks like everyone's ready to move out.

GABRIELLE
Great let's get going. 

Xena held out her hand for Gabrielle to grab like she always did to help Gabrielle into the saddle. Gabrielle didn't even acknowledge her as she looked at Amarice.

GABRIELLE 
Hey Amarice you mind if I ride with you today?

Amarice looked at Gabrielle for a moment. Then to Xena who just looked away.

AMARICE 
Um sure? I guess.

Dispite how odd it was for Gabrielle to want to ride with anyone but Xena, Amarice figured it was probably better not to ask why she didn't want to. So as Gabrielle got comfortable, Amarice glanced at Xena who just got Argo going. Everyone rode out until they found a good spot to start going on foot. After walking for some time, Xena stopped the group when she spotted fresh animal tracks.

XENA 
Okay we'll split up here into two groups and circle around in opposite directions. Afterwards we'll meet up back here when we're done.

Everyone agreed and the group split into two small teams. Xena, Amarice, Willow and Iris were in one group. Leaving Cora, Celine, Fauna and Gabrielle in the other. While Xena had wanted Gabrielle in her group, Gabrielle purposely placed herself with the group Xena wasn't in. Not that Xena was very surprised. But she'd be lying if she said that it still didn't sting to have Gabrielle go this far to ignore her.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) I knew I had a bad feeling about this trip.

Once everyone was ready, the two parties split up and made their way deeper into the wilderness. Xena kept her senses on alert as her group tracked their prey. She made sure not to take the lead like she normally would, because it would be better for the rest of her team to do so in order for them to build communication. Which she might've found ironic due to her own situation if she wasn't too wrapped up in her own thoughts.

WILLOW 
(Whisper) Got one! I'm moving closer.

The energetic and free spirited amazon quickly and quietly moved ahead of Xena, Iris and Amarice as she readied her bow.

XENA 
(Whisper) No Willow get back here.

Xena made an annoyed groan as she motioned to the others to keep quiet and follow her and chased after Willow. Xena followed Willow's footprints once the Amazon had disappeared from sight. She and the others crept through the bushes and other plant life as Xena tried to figure out where Willow was going. But before she had time to do so, her heart skipped a beat when she and the others heard a scream. Wasting no time Xena sprung up from the crouching position she'd been in and took off running towards where the cry had come from. With Amarice and Iris not for behind. Xena's heart raced quicker when she heard Gabrielle's voice as she got closer.

GABRIELLE 
No!

Xena ran as fast as she could. Until she burst through some bushes and stopped when she saw a terrible sight.

XENA 
What happened?!

Xena stood there seeing Willow laying on the ground with an arrow sticking out of her midsection.

CELINE 
Willow!

And just like that the trip had suddenly taken a far worse turn than any of the group could've expected.

...

Pt.9

Everyone gathered around as Cora and Celine knelt down beside Willow who'd been hit with an arrow. The two began to panic as Xena crouched down to inspect the wound. Gabrielle walked over to look on.

GABRIELLE 
Don't worry Xena knows what she's doing.

CORA 
I can't believe this happened.

 AMARICE 
How did this happen?

There was a painful yell as Xena began removing the arrow from Willow's flesh.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) I know how it happened. "Someone"" apparently doesn't know the difference between a deer and a person.

Celine glared over at Fauna, who stood there with a horrified look on her face.

FAUNA 
I'm so sorry. It was an accident. Honestly. I heard a noise and thought it was a deer.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) So you just shoot at anything that makes noise when you hunt because you assume it's your prey?

FAUNA 
(Nervous tone) N-no.

Celine scowled as she got up and angry grabbed Fauna by her shirt.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) So what in the name of Artemis made you shoot?!

Xena looked up from working on Willow.

XENA 
Enough! Yelling at each other is not going to help anyone right now. Now Celine I saw a creek not far south. Go there and get some water so I can clean this wound. Amarice build a fire. Gabrielle get a dagger, the bandages, a needle, and thread from our stuff.

No one said anything as they went off to do the jobs they had been assigned. Meanwhile Fauna was left kneeling next to Xena and Willow.

WILLOW 
What should I do? It really was an accident Xena.

Xena glanced up at Willow as Gabrielle came back with the items Xena requested.

XENA 
I believe you.

GABRIELLE 
Tell us what happened Fauna.

Xena gave the dagger to Gabrielle who got up and went over to the small fire that Amarice had just gotten started as Fauna spoke.

FAUNA 
Like I said I heard rustling in the bushes. I could see Gabrielle, Celine and Cora so I thought it was a deer. I didn't even consider that it could've been Willow or any of the rest of you.

XENA 
Because we were supposed to be in the opposite side of the valley.

FAUNA 
Yes. 

Gabrielle came back from heating the dagger it the fire to sterilize it and handed the blade back to Xena. Xena looked down at Willow who was already in a good amount of pain and quickly explained that she was about to be even more uncomfortable.

XENA 
I have to make an incision where the arrow head went in so I don't cause even more damage when I pull it out.

GABRIELLE 
Don't you normally just push it the rest of the way through?

XENA 
Usually yes. But the arrow didn't go far enough in. So it'll actually be easier to do it this way. This is gonna hurt. You ready?

Willow nodded, then let out a small painful gasp as she felt Xena cut into her flesh.
Everyone watched as Xena successfully removed the arrow. Then she cleaned and stitched the wound before wrapping it in the bandages.

XENA 
Okay you should be just fine now.

Willow winced as she sat up.

WILLOW 
Thanks.

XENA 
Don't mention it.

Xena stood up and helped pull Willow to her feet.. Fauna slowly approached her as Cora and Celine stepped in front of her.

FAUNA 
I just wanted to apologize again. I really am sorry.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) You're lucky her injury wasn't more serious.

IRIS 
I understand that you're upset, but you can't really blame Fauna for this.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) And why not? She could've killed Willow.

IRIS 
Like Xena said, Willow just ran off where she shouldn't have been. And giving what we were doing that wasn't really a wise decision. She's lucky that something worse didn't happen.

Gabrielle could see that this wasn't going anywhere good and quickly spoke up to keep things from escalating further.

GABRIELLE 
Okay everyone just calm down. It was a terrible accident, but everyone's okay and Willow isn't seriously hurt. Now let's all just take it easy.

The group grumbled among themselves as Xena walked over to Gabrielle and talked quietly so the others couldn't hear her.

XENA 
I get that you're probably still mad at me, but I think it might be a good idea to call off the rest of this trip.

Gabrielle sighed to herself as she found herself reluctantly agreeing with Xena.

GABRIELLE 
I guess you have a point.

So Gabrielle got the others attention and told them that given the scenario, it would be best for them to head back to the village. The rest of the group agreed and soon they were all packed up and ready to go. Xena lead Argo behind her as she walked over to Gabrielle. Even though Gabrielle had helped her with Willow's injury, Xena could tell that she was still very upset with her.

XENA 
So, are you gonna ride with Amarice for the trip home.

GABRIELLE 
Yes.

Xena didn't say anything else as she mounted Argo. Everyone else got on their horses and rode out. The trip back to the village was filled with an uncomfortable silence from everyone amung the group.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Could this trip have possibly gone worse? How am I supposed to build trust between the villagers and the visitors after this mess? And what's going on with Xena? I know she's hiding something from me. But what? And maybe more importantly, why?

It was a couple days after everyone had returned to the village as Xena walked in the front door and saw Gabrielle sitting on the couch.

GABRIELLE 
I'm gonna be busy tomorrow still dealing with the mess caused by the trip.

Xena shut the door and leaned back against it as she stood there.

XENA
Yeah it seems like tensions are even worse now than before we left.

GABRIELLE 
Exactly. So if you have anything you wanna talk about Xena, now might be a really good time.

Xena knew that Gabrielle wouldn't let go what happened between them on the trip. But she still didn't know what to say.

XENA 
Gabrielle, I really don't know what I'm supposed to tell you here.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) How about anything. You keep pushing me further and further away for some reason and then tell me that it has nothing to do with me. But yet you still won't tell me what it is.

XENA 
I'm sorry Gabrielle. I really am. I wish I could explain, but...

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Let me guess, you can't. Or rather you won't.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Gabrielle shook her head disapprovingly and gave Xena a sad look.

GABRIELLE 
So is this how it's gonna be now Xena? Us just drifting further apart for reasons that I don't understand and that you refuse to tell me?

XENA 
It doesn't have to be that way.

GABRIELLE 
You're right it doesn't. And yet here we are. I don't know what else I can do here Xena. So until you're ready to talk to me or figure out what's wrong I don't think I want you here.

XENA 
You can't be serious. You really want me to leave? 

GABRIELLE 
Of courseI don't want that, but being under the same roof as you when you clearly don't trust me hurts too much.

XENA 
What do you mean? Gabrielle of course I trust you. I trust you more than anyone I've ever met. I trust you with my very life.

GABRIELLE 
You say that but then you clearly feel the need to hide things from me and give me no real explanation.

The room was filled with an uncomfortable silence as the reality of the moment set in.

XENA 
And there's no way I can change your mind?

GABRIELLE 
You know what I want. But apparently I'm just asking you for too much.

Gabrielle looked down as Xena stood there feeling as though her world was about to crumble from under her. After not knowing what she could say to change Gabrielle's mind, Xena stood up straight walked by her and went upstairs. Then after several minutes came back down with a bag of stuff over her shoulder. Xena stopped and looked at Gabrielle for a moment who just sat there quietly. Then she went to the front door and opened it, standing there briefly as she looked back over her shoulder at Gabrielle who still hadn't moved or looked her way.

XENA 
I love you Gabrielle.

With no response Xena walked outside, shutting the front door behind her. After hearing the door shut tears began to fall from Gabrielle's eyes as she now sat in their house alone.

GABRIELLE 
I love you too Xena.

...

Pt.10

Xena stood on the front steps of her and Gabrielle's house as she leaned back against the door with a small bag of her belongings in her hand.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) How did I end up in this mess? Damn it! Why did this have to happen?

Xena rested her hand on her stomach as she fought to keep herself from crying. What was she going to do now? Gabrielle was so upset and hurt by Xena's recent behavior that Xena knew that this wasn't going be something that Gabrielle would just get over. Especially if Xena kept pushing her away like she had been. She knew that Gabrielle was hurting because of that, which made Xena feel even worse about the whole situation. After all the whole reason Xena hadn't told Gabrielle about her pregnancy was because she didn't want to hurt her. But still here they were and now Xena was left standing outside their home with no idea of how she could set things right between them. After a few moments Xena stood up straight, tossed her bag over her shoulder to carry easier and slowly walked down the stairs. it was night but the light of the moon light the village pretty well as Xena made her way through the village.

EPHINY 
What are you doing out so late?

Xena stopped and turned to see Ephiny walking over to her.

XENA 
I could ask you the same question.

EPHINY 
I was just out for a little walk and fresh air. You?

XENA 
Something like that.

Xena turned away and went to keep walking. But stopped again when Ephiny spoke.

EPHINY
So where are you heading?

Ephiny motioned to the bag Xena was carrying.

XENA 
Don't know. Probably somewhere far from here.

EPHINY 
Don't you think Gabrielle would be upset with you just up and leaving her like this?

Xena looked away sadly.

XENA
(sad tone) No. She'll probably be better off.

EPHINY 
I highly doubt that. Knowing her as soon as she finds out you're gone she'll just follow you. Like she always does.

XENA 
(sad tone) She already knows I left.

EPHINY 
Then why isn't she out here trying to stop you?

XENA 
(sad tone) Because she's the one who wanted me to go.

Ephiny couldn't believe what she just heard. Gabrielle actually kicked Xena out. She couldn't picture Xena doing something that would make Gabrielle that angry where she would want Xena to leave.

EPHINY 
What? Why what happened?

XENA 
She's upset that I'm being distant and keeping things from her.

EPHINY 
Can you really blame her?

XENA 
Honestly no.

EPHINY 
So tell her the truth.

Xena looked at Ephiny in disbelief.

XENA 
You can't be serious. I already told you why I can't just tell her. Do have any idea how much that would hurt her?

EPHINY 
(Sarcasm) Because hiding it is clearly working out so much better.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) I don't need your judgment right now Ephiny.

EPHINY 
I'm not judging you. I'm just saying that there has to be a better way of dealing with your situation than the way you have been.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Yeah well if you have a better suggestion I'd like to hear it.

Ephiny was quiet as she thought for a moment then spoke.

EPHINY 
Maybe Gabrielle asking you leave is actually a good thing.

Xena scowled at notion that what happened tonight could possibly be viewed as a positive.

XENA 
(Irritated / Sarcastic tone) Ephiny if this is your idea of a joke I would highly suggest you don't pursue a career in theater.

EPHINY 
I'm serious. This might be just the opportunity you needed.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) To do what exactly?

EPHINY 
Find the answers that you haven't been able to give Gabrielle. She told you to leave, so leave and hopefully figure out what happened to put you here.

Xena fell silent for a moment as she thought about Ephiny's suggestion.

XENA 
That might be a good idea, but Gabrielle only kicked me out of the house. I don't think she actually meant for me to leave the village.

EPHINY 
Weren't you gonna leave anyway before I showed up?

Xena looked at her bag and sighed.

XENA 
I honestly don't know what I was planning on doing. I was gonna leave for tonight and come back in the morning to see if I could smooth things over.

EPHINY 
So what's the plan now?

Xena thought for another moment and then knew what she had to do.

XENA 
I'll find somewhere to sleep tonight and tomorrow I'll figure out something to tell Gabrielle and leave to see if I can finally find out how this happened.

EPHINY 
Sounds like a plan. Now I'm heading to bed. You're welcome stay with me tonight if you want.

Xena gave Ephiny a half hearted smile.

XENA 
Thanks Ephiny, for always being a good friend.

It was late morning as Gabrielle stood between yet another heated argument between the villagers and the visiting Amazon's. Things continued to get worse between the two groups and Gabrielle was at her wits end with what she should do. 

GABRIELLE 
Everyone calm down, please. 

Gabrielle's plea went ignored.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sure we can settle this like civilized adults.

Again the group payed no attention to her.

GABRIELLE 
There's really no need to fight. 

Still Gabrielle's attempts to quell the commotion failed. Now she was becoming very frustrated. She was tired due to not sleeping well after her argument with Xena the night before. And after dealing with everything from the trip, piled on top of everything else that she'd been dealing with from the situation involving the new Amazon's and the continuing issues between herself and Xena, Gabrielle was not in the mood to put up with the ridiculous squabbling that had only gotten worse after returning from the trip. Finally unable to hold back her pent up frustrations any longer Gabrielle just yelled at the top of her lungs at the group of arguing women.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) ENOUGH!!! EVERYONE JUST STOP IT!!! SHUT UP ALL OF YOU!!! DAMN IT!!!

The group fell silent after hearing Gabrielle yell the way she did. Amung the group Clover leaned close and whispered to Amarice.

CLOVER 
(Whisper) Wow I've never seen Gabrielle so pissed.

AMARICE 
(Whisper) It's been a rough few days.

Gabrielle took a couple deep breaths to calm herself down. She sighed to herself as she rubbed her forehead feeling the beginnings of a stress headache coming on. After taking a moment to compose herself Gabrielle looked at the group.

GABRIELLE 
Look I know that tensions are running high after the accident. But I know we can work things out and move forward.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) How are we supposed to move forward when Willow was almost killed by one of them?

One of the villagers quickly spoke up.

VILLAGER 1
(Angry tone) Well if you remember that same woman nearly killed one us. 

VILLAGER 2
(Angry tone) And that was just during a simple sparing match. 

CORA 
(Angry tone) So that makes it okay?

CLOVER
(Talking quickly) At least what happened on the trip was an accident.

Cora quickly glared over at Clover not liking the implication she had just made.

CORA 
(Angry tone) What did you say?!

CLOVER 
You heard me.

Skyla who was standing next to Clover put her hand on Clovers arm to get her attention.

SKYLA
(Whisper) Clover stop. We weren't there, we don't know what happened.

CLOVER 
Fauna told us what happened.

CORA 
(Angry tone) Of course you take her side.

WILLOW 
Exactly.

VILLAGER 1
(Angry tone) Why wouldn't we. You're the problem.

Everyone started yelling at once again. Gabrielle was at the end of her rope with what to do. And had seriously begun to regret bringing other people into the village .

XENA 
Is there a problem here?

Gabrielle looked over her shoulder and saw Xena coming up behind her. She didn't say anything as Xena stopped a few feet away.

CLOVER 
Good Xena's here. Maybe she can get to the bottom of this.

Gabrielle returned her attention forward.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) I'm perfectly capable of handling this without Xena thank you.

Clover whispered to Skyla again as she sensed Gabrielle's anger rise once more.

CLOVER 
(Whisper) Was it something I said?

Skyla shrugged 

XENA 
Seems like you've got your hands full.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) What do you want Xena? If you haven't noticed I'm kind of in the middle of something.

XENA 
I can see that.

Xena walked up to Gabrielle so no one else would hear her.

XENA 
(Talking quietly) I realize that you're still mad but I need to tell you something.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Oh so now you wanna talk?

XENA 
(Talking quietly) Please.

Gabrielle let out a tired sigh as she looked from Xena to the Amazon's she'd been dealing with and back again as she wondered if their agreement the night before had finally gotten through to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Fine. 

Gabrielle addressed the group briefly telling them to stay there and she'd be back in a bit. Then without saying a word she turned around and walked past Xena who followed close behind. Once they found a spot away from anyone else Gabrielle stopped and turned around. She crossed her arms and kept the scowl she'd had on her face since dealing with the conflict between the Amazon's 

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Okay Xena you wanted to talk, so talk.

Xena took a breath as she tried to figure out the best way to say what she was about to tell Gabrielle.

XENA 
Gabrielle listen I know that things haven't been the best between us lately and I realize that it's my fault. But I just want you to know that I never meant to hurt you.

GABRIELLE 
Then why haven't you just told me what's going on with you?

XENA 
Because I can't.

GABRIELLE 
(Tired tone) Xena if we're just gonna do this again I really don't know why you insisted on talking.

Gabrielle began to walk away when Xena gently grabbed her arm to stop her.

XENA 
Just hear me out here Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked at Xena and saw a sincere expression in her eyes.

XENA 
Please.

Gabrielle didn't say anything but Xena could see her relax a little which told Xena that she was at least willing to listen. She let go of Gabrielle's arm as Gabrielle stood there waiting for Xena to explain herself.

XENA 
I know I haven't given you an explanation for my recent behavior that you deserve and for that I truly am sorry. But believe me Gabrielle I wish could. Which is why...

Xena paused and looked away as she prepared herself to tell Gabrielle something that she knew would not make her any happier with her. Meanwhile Gabrielle was beginning to lose her anger as she saw Xena clearly struggling with her thoughts. She reached out and softly touched Xena's cheek, getting Xena to look back at her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena whatever it is, please just tell me. Let me help you.

Xena placed her hand over Gabrielle's as she fought back the tears.

XENA 
I have to leave.

GABRIELLE 
Leave? Xena what are you talking about? I thought you wanted to talk.

XENA 
I do. I came to tell you that I'm leaving.

GABRIELLE 
Wait, you're leaving? As in the village?

XENA 
yes.

Gabrielle couldn't believe what she was hearing. And tried to figure out why Xena would want to go.

GABRIELLE 
I know I was mad last night and didn't want you home, but that doesn't mean I want you to leave the village.

XENA 
I know.

GABRIELLE 
Then why are you leaving?

XENA 
Because I think in order to give you the answers you want I have to.

GABRIELLE
So this has something to do with what you refuse to tell me doesn't it??

XENA 
Yes.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) And let me guess you're not going to tell me where you plan on going are you? 

XENA 
I don't think I can. I'm not even really sure where I'm going yet.

GABRIELLE 
Then let me go with you.

XENA 
I don't think that's a good idea.

Gabrielle scowled as she took her hand away from Xena's.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Why not?

XENA 
Because I don't have any idea of where I'm going or what I'm even really looking for exactly.

GABRIELLE 
We almost never knew where we're going.

XENA 
Yes but this is different. 

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Why because you don't want me to know where you're actually going?

XENA 
Come on don't say it like that. I really don't know where I'm going. Plus I've left you to do things plenty of times before.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Yeah but at least then I had an idea of what you were doing.

Xena sighed finding herself becoming frustrated with Gabrielle's questions dispite knowing she had a right to be upset giving the situation.

XENA 
Gabrielle I don't know what else to say here.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) So let me get this straight. You clearly have something going on with you that you insist you can't tell me about. And now apparently because of that you're going god's know where and leaving me here.

XENA 
I'm coming back. And when I do, hopefully I'll be able to explain everything.

Gabrielle was quiet for a few moments before finally speaking again.

GABRIELLE 
You know what Xena I don't care anymore. You go do whatever you feel like. You're gonna anyway. And you don't wanna tell me about any of it fine, Go, I'm done.

XENA 
You're done? What's that supposed to mean?

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Oh look who suddenly wants to ask questions.

XENA 
Gabrielle don't be like this.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Like what Xena? You?

Now Xena's patients were wearing thin. She was trying to put herself in Gabrielle's shoes but she was just so tired of arguing with her at this point about the same thing time and time again.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) Look I get that you're upset but why can't you just trust me here. Why can't you see that I'm trying to fix this?

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) How am I supposed to trust you when you've been hiding things from me Xena?!

XENA 
(Angry tone) Well did you ever stop to think that maybe I'm doing this for your own good?!

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) My own good?! Are we seriously going back to that again?! I'm a grown woman Xena, I don't need you to "do things for my own good".

XENA 
(Angry tone) And in case you forgot I'm a grown adult too and don't need your permission to go and do whatever I want.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) Fine then just go! I don't care anymore.

Gabrielle began to turn around.

GABRIELLE
(Angry tone) Now if we're done here, much like you I have better things to do than to have any sort of meaningful conversation that always seems to lead nowhere.

XENA 
Gabrielle...

Xena attempted again to reach for Gabrielle to stop her from walking away, but this time when Xena grabbed Gabrielle's arm she received a look that told her it was a smarter move to not continue this conversation any further. Feeling Xena loosen her grip, Gabrielle yanked her arm away and kept walking without another word. With nothing else to say Xena headed out of the village.

EPHINY 
So you're leaving?

Xena stood at the waterfall entrance as she heard Ephiny behind her.

XENA
It seems like the only thing I can do if I wanna get to the bottom of... everything.

EPHINY 
You think you'll find what you're looking for?

XENA
I hope so, I really do. Because I'm honestly not sure what's gonna happen between me and Gabrielle if I don't.

EPHINY 
Then maybe I should come along. After all I'm really the only person who knows anything about your... condition.

Xena scowled at the description of her pregnancy but then softened her expectation as she understood that Ephiny was just trying to be discreet in case anyone overheard them talking.

XENA 
I guess it could help to have someone else trying to sort this mess out with me. But won't everyone notice your gone.

EPHINY 
Maybe, but it's not like I have someone keeping me here.

Xena did her best to smile dispite everything that had just gone down between herself and Gabrielle.

XENA 
I don't know how to thank you. I'm really gonna owe you one after all this.

EPHINY 
I'm doing this for Gabrielle too. I think you both deserve to know how you ended up here.

Xena waited at the village entrance and looked up at the sky as she felt droplets of rain hit her skin while Ephiny quickly got together a bag of a few essentials for the trip and came back. Then after taking one more look back in Gabrielle's direction with Ephiny accompanying her, in an almost symbolic fashion it began to rain as Xena left the village with the hopes of finding a way of unraveling the mess that her life had taken. As a small part of her hoped that the sudden rain wasn't a sign of things to come.

Pt.11

Gabrielle sighed as she glanced out the window. Watching the falling water outside running down the glass. She then looked at the unrolled scroll in front of her and idly twirled the quill she was holding between her fingers as she tried to return her focus on writing. But after a few moments she tossed her quill on the table that she sat at, giving up on the seemingly impossible task. Gabrielle leaned back in her chair, finding herself staring out the window once again at the rain that had been coming down on and off for almost two days. Which was also when Xena left the village. By this time Gabrielle's initial anger about Xena leaving had mostly dissipated. And now she just wanted Xena back home so they could try to work things out.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I just hope she's okay.

Gabrielle rolled up her scroll as she stood and grabbed the rest of her other writing supplies to put them all away. But she stopped when she heard loud voices coming from outside. Looking out the window, she scowled as she saw yet another argument breaking out.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) Oh come on!

Gabrielle slammed the items back on the table as she left the room and went downstairs, grabbing her staff as she headed out the front door.

GABRIELLE 
(Irritated tone) It never ends.

Gabrielle marched through the rain towards the feuding Amazon's, yelling for them to stop as she approached. But like most of the times before, Gabrielle's words seemed to fall on deaf ears as the arguing continued. By this time other villagers had come outside after hearing the commotion. And without even knowing that details of the situation, the residents immediately began to side with the their fellow villagers. The yelling intensified while Gabrielle tried to get everyone to settle down with no luck. Soon people began getting in each other's faces as Gabrielle saw the situation beginning to spiral out of control.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) I have to put a stop to this before this goes any further and things get violent.

Just as Gabrielle had finished that thought someone in the group threw a punch and that was when all chaos broke lose. Punches and kicks flew as the group quickly decended into an all out brawl.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) This can NOT be happening.

Hearing the fighting Iris, Skyla, Clover and Amarice arrived on the scene, seeing Gabrielle unsuccessfully trying to get the violence to stop.

AMARICE 
Now what happened?

SKYLA 
We can ask questions later. First we should help stop them.

CLOVER 
Yeah but how do we, OW! DAMN IT!

Clover rubbed her head after inadvertently being hit with a small rock that someone had thrown. After taking her hand away she and Skyla saw blood on it.

SKYLA 
You're bleeding!

CLOVER 
I'll be okay.

Clover looked into the crowd and scowled.

CLOVER
(Angry tone) Okay who's the idiot that threw that?!

Gabrielle stood there looking at Clover for a moment not knowing what to do as Amarice came over to her.

AMARICE 
What do we do Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
I have no idea.
(Thinking to herself) Damn it I'm queen, I should know what to do. I have to get them to stop before people get seriously hurt. Come on Gabrielle think. If Xena were here, she'd know what to do. ...Wait, that's it!

Much like she had seen Xena do on numerous occasions, Gabrielle began formulating a plan as she tried to think of what Xena would do in this situation. She looked around for ideas until she spotted a large water storage tank. Which there were multiple of scattered throughout the village. And that was when she knew how to break up the crowd. She raced over and began turning the valve to get the water flowing. Having no idea what Gabrielle was doing, Amarice hurried over to her.

AMARICE 
Gabrielle what are you doing?

GABRIELLE
Getting this fighting to stop.

AMARICE 
It's raining I don't think a little more water is gonna stop them.

GABRIELLE
You're right a "little more" water won't. But I think I know what will. Now help me get this going.

Amarice still didn't get Gabrielle's plan but helped anyway. After some effort from the two the valve began to turn and water began to flow from the large spickit on the side. After getting it going Gabrielle easily continued turning as the force of the flowing water increased until it was gushing out. The water sprayed out on the fighting Amazon's. Knocking some down as others tried to avoid getting hit. Once she saw that the fighting had ceased, Gabrielle had Amarice help her completely shut off the flowing water.

AMARICE 
Huh I can't believe that worked.

Gabrielle didn't say anything as she walked over to the crowd to address the latest drama between the two sides.

EPHINY 
Do you even have an idea of where we're going?

Ephiny walked a few feet behind Xena as the two trudged through the mud and ran.

XENA 
Not really.

Xena brushed her soaked hair out of her eyes as they stopped and she looked around to get her barrings.

EPHINY 
Maybe we'd be better off finding some shelter until this rain let's up.

XENA 
You can stop if you want, but I'm gonna keep going.

Ephiny sighed and stood there as Xena began walking again.

EPHINY 
You know going almost non stop like this isn't going to make you feel any better about the way you left things with Gabrielle.

Xena stopped as she turned around and scowled.

XENA 
(Irritated tone) You know full well that I'm doing this for Gabrielle.

EPHINY 
Yes but what do you think Gabrielle will do if something happens to you because of your being too stubborn.

Xena didn't say anything but Ephiny could tell that she was considering what she said as she walked up to Xena.

EPHINY 
Plus I know you probably haven't really consciously thought about it, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want anything happening to that child. Even if you don't know where it came from.

Xena unconsciously placed her hand on her stomach as she realized that Ephiny was right. Even with the identity of the child's father a mystery, the circumstances of how she even gotten pregnant still unknown and the issues that had rose between herself and Gabrielle from keeping her pregnancy a secret, Xena did already love this child. And didn't want to do anything that might put the child at risk. She gave Ephiny a half smile as she lowered her hand.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Damn material instincts.
Alright you win. Let's find somewhere to wait out this rain.

Ephiny smiled as they both began walking to find shelter.

XENA 
(Joking tone) You know using both Gabrielle and the baby against me like that is a really cheap tactic.

EPHINY 
(Joking tone) And here I thought you of all people would appreciate a good strategy when you saw one.

XENA 
(Joking tone) Not so much when it's used against me.

After feeling the cool wind blow on their already wet, cold skin, Xena and Ephany picked up the pace as they begin to search for someplace dry where they could wait out the storm. Unaware that their quest to find answers regarding Xena's pregnancy was about to involve far more than either of them could've possibly imagined.

...

Pt.12

The rain continued as Xena and Ephany searched for somewhere to take cover from the down pour. Cold, wet and tired Xena made an annoyed groan when her boot got stuck in the mud for the unknown numbered time. With a little more effort she got her foot free and continued stomping through the muddy area.

EPHINY 
You know if you keep stomping like that you're gonna keep getting stuck. 

Xena didn't say anything as she shot Ephiny a very Irritated look and kept going.

EPHINY 
(Talking to herself) I'm just trying to help.

Xena looked around as they walked.

XENA
I can't believe there's no where to take shelter. If this keeps up we might just have to try making our own.

EPHINY 
Or we could try that.

Ephiny motioned over the hills and trees to some smoke in the distance which indicated the likelihood of a far off village.

XENA 
That could work too.

Xena and Ephiny began making their way towards the hills. As the two walked they came to a river heading the same way and decided to follow it towards their destination. The storm continued to rage as Ephiny noticed Xena stop and look off into the distance.

EPHINY 
What is it?

XENA 
It sounds like something's coming our way.

Ephiny tried to listen for what Xena was hearing which was a bit challenging to do due to the sound of the storm around them and the rushing river they were traveling along side. But as she focused, Ephiny did pick up on something else that sounded very similar to the sound of the river but was somehow becoming louder. Then at the same time Ephiny and Xena realized what the sound was. And knew that if they didn't get out of there right away they would be in serious trouble.

XENA 
We need to run.

EPHINY 
No kidding.

The two quickly began moving away from the river as the sound continued to get louder. Xena quickly stomped through the mud as she put more distance between herself and the river.

EPHINY 
Ugh this is ridiculous!

Xena looked over her shoulder and saw Ephiny struggling to get her foot out of the mud. Xena raced back over and grabbed Ephiny's arm to help pull her out. But unfortunately as Xena pulled her own feet began to slip and sink into the soft ground. The roaring got even louder as Xena and Ephiny hastily crouched down as began trying to dig their way out. Ephiny got one foot free and was working on the other when she looked up to a very frightful sight and froze. Noticing Ephiny's reaction Xena also paused her digging and looked up just in time to see a flood of rushing water coming at them. Unknown to them aways up stream the excessive amount of rain had caused a nearby dam to burst, flooding the river and sending the swift current right towards Xena and Ephiny. There was no time to get out of the way as the raging waters crashed into them. The force dislodging them from the mud as they were swept away with the current. While tossed around beneath the water Ephiny fought to get to the surface. As her head popped above the water she tried to look for Xena but was quickly pushed back under as a wave hit her from behind.

XENA 
Ephiny!

Xena called out as she managed to grab onto a rock she was going by. She tried to look to see if she could spot Ephiny in the water when a wave crashed into her. Xena clung to the rock as she tried to search for Ephiny while not being swept away. Wave after wave hit as Xena did everything she could to maintain her gradually slipping grip. Which quickly proved to be a pointless effort when another wave smacked into her and tore Xena from the rock as she was once again forcefully carried down stream. Ephiny coughed up water as she shook off the last wave that had just hit her. She didn't even have time to look for Xena as the flood tossed her around. As the water continued to carry her Ephiny happened to notice a tree that had partially fallen into the river up a head. Knowing this was her best chance to get out Ephiny swam as best she could to the side towards the tree. Fighting against the current she stretched out her arm as she went by the tree and just managed to grab on to a small branch stopping her from going any further. With some effort as she went directly against the rushing watet, she pulled herself up the branch until she reached a sturdier part. While holding on, Ephiny quickly scanned the water for Xena.

EPHINY 
Xena!

Ephiny looked but couldn't see any sign of Xena anywhere.

EPHINY 
(Thinking to herself) She must've gotten carried further down stream.

Knowing there wasn't anything else she could do in her current situation, holding tight to the branch Ephiny climbed up and sat on the angled tree trunk as she tried to see if she could locate Xena. She looked but couldn't see any sign of her. After descending from the tree Ephiny began running along side of the river as she continued to search for Xena. She ran for a good ways without any success in finding her. Finally exhausted Ephiny was forced to stop as she struggled to catch her breath. She looked at the river as she thought of how devastated Gabrielle would be if she had to go back to the village and tell her that Xena was gone. Determined not to have to give her queen that news or lose her friend Ephiny called out to Xena, hoping that she could still hear her.

EPHINY 
Xena!

Gabrielle felt a tap on her shoulder as she was pulled from her thoughts.

AMARICE 
(Whisper) Gabrielle everyone's waiting on you.

GABRIELLE 
Oh right.

Gabrielle looked ahead as she sat on her throne inside the main hall of the village. All of the women in the crowd were still angry and soaked after Gabrielle had doused them in water from the village water storage to break up the fighting that had broken out. Afterwhich she had ordered everyone to immediately convigne in the main hall. Now she was forced to put aside her worry for Xena's whereabouts as she dealt with the continuous feud between the villagers and the visitors. Which she thought was ridiculous that they seemed to act like children. But that did give her an idea for how to handle them. 

GABRIELLE 
I'm sure you're all well aware why I've called you all together.

The crowd grumbled.

GABRIELLE 
Well incase you're not, I'd just like to say that you're behavior has been completely out of line. I thought bringing others here would be beneficial for everyone. I thought we could learn from one another and grow. But no instead all we've gotten is mistrust, skepticism and anger.

The crowd began talking over one another as Clover stood up.

CLOVER 
What do you exspect given everything that's happened since they've gotten here?

The next to stand was Willow.

WILLOW 
(Angry tone) You can't actually blame us for everything?

Another village stood.

VILLAGER 
(Angry tone) Oh and I suppose it's all just coincidence?

CORA 
(Angry tone) Maybe instead of pointing the finger at us you should take a look at yourselves.

Soon more began yelling as Gabrielle finally reached her breaking point and jumped up from her seat.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) That's it!

Everyone got quite as Gabrielle scowled at the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
(Angry tone) I have tried to do everything I could think of to get this to work. But apparently I'm the only one since it seems like all you wanna do is try fight. So since none of you seem to want to even try and get along, why bother. I'm done. You can figure out what you wanna do next.

Without another word Gabrielle stormed out of the hall and headed home. As she changed into dry clothes, Gabrielle's thoughts went back to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Where are you Xena? I wish you would just come home. 

Gabrielle sighed as she sat on the bed.

GABRIELLE 
I bet you'd know how to deal with this mess.

Gabrielle smiled to herself as she thought.

GABRIELLE 
Knowing you you'd probably come up with some crazy and creative solution to everyone wanting to beat the living daylights out of each other. You'd probably just say something that would seem completely counter productive at first but you'd still insist that it would work.

Gabrielle sighed as she let herself fall back onto the bed and looked up at the ceiling.

GABRIELLE 
But who am I kidding I'd never come up with something like that. How would it even work anyway?

Gabrielle layed there silently for a but as she tried to figure out how to get Xena home. All the while something she had said kept coming back to her. And after going over it repeatedly in her mind the spark of an idea began to form. Until finally Gabrielle sat up as it hit her.

GABRIELLE 
I got it!

Gabrielle gave herself a mental pat on the back as she began to piece together her new plan. Once she was done Gabrielle looked out the window as she thought about Xena and everything that had been going on between them and sighed.

GABRIELLE 
Wherever you are Xena I just hope you come back safe.

...

Pt.13

Ephiny stood along side the flooded river while she tried to locate Xena as the rain continued to pour. She yelled over the sound of the storm and raging water, hoping that Xena would hear her.

EPHINY 
Xena! 

After calling out several times and getting no response Ephiny decided to move down stream to see if she could spot any sign of Xena. As she hastily walked Ephiny found something washed up on the river bank. 

EPHINY 
(Thinking to herself) Xena's chakrum. 

She walked over and picked up the weapon and continued to scan the water with the hopeful thought that Xena might not be too far.

EPHINY
Xena!

This time when Ephiny yelled she heard Xena's voice in the distance. She quickly ran further down stream and finally saw Xena in the water against some rocks. Finally she reached Xena relieved to see her alive.

EPHINY 
Are you okay?

Xena looked over and saw Ephiny on the side of the river.

XENA
I don't know. I'm stuck.

Ephiny looked as she noticed that Xena was caught between some rocks and had a cut on her head that was made apparent by the trickle of blood running down the side of her face. Ephiny watched as Xena tried to get free but stopped when she cried out in pain. Figuring Xena must've gotten hurt while being carried down stream Ephiny knew she would have to help Xena get free.

EPHINY
Hold on I'll figure out how to get you out of there.

Xena didn't say anything as she again tried to get free but stopped once more when more pain hit her causing her to yell. 

EPHINY 
Just stay still for now.

Ephiny quickly looked around for anything that could help get Xena free. After quickly searching Ephiny found a broken tree branch. Then she took off her pack that she had on with some supplies for the trip and rummaged through it until she found what she was looking for. After pulling out some rope, Ephiny hastily tied one end to a tree next to the river and the other around her waist. After making sure the rope was secure, she grabbed the medium sized branch and carefully made her way into the water. She stuck the branch into the bottom of the river as she moved towards Xena to help keep the water from knocking her over. After a few minutes Ephiny managed to make it to where Xena was stuck. She clung to one of the rocks the help keep for being knocked over by the current.

EPHINY 
Okay let's get you out of there.

Xena nodded but yelled out when another wave hit her pushing her up against the rock further causing another jolt of pain to shoot through her. Afterwards Xena whimpered as she began to become very afraid.

XENA 
Damn it!

EPHINY
Where are you hurt Xena?

Xena looked at Ephiny who saw fear in her eyes.

XENA 
It's my stomach.

EPHINY 
The baby?

Xena nodded.

XENA 
I think something's wrong.

Ephiny looked closer and saw that Xena's stomach was pressed right up against the rocks. This was likely part the reason for the pain. Not mention what might've happened while Xena was roughly carried down stream. Plus the stress of the whole situation all added up to a very dangerous combination. Now with the possibility of the unborn child being in danger getting Xena free had become even more urgent.

EPHINY 
Okay just hold on Xena. I'm gonna get you out.

Xena nodded as she fought back pain filled scream as another jolt of pain ripped through her midsection. Ephiny braced herself against one of the rocks as she took the tree branch and began trying to wedge it between the rocks and Xena. After moving it around Ephiny got the branch in place and then began pushing it to the side as she used it as leverage to get Xena free. While Ephiny pushed Xena braced her hands against the rocks as she also tried to pry herself from between the rocks. She did her best to push past the pain, knowing that it was really the only option she had if she had any hopes of getting out. This went on for several minutes when finally Xena slipped from between the rocks and Ephiny grabbed her before the current could take her again. Xena held on as Ephiny pulled on the rope she had tied around her and with some effort as she fought against the water, dragged them both to the side and pulled them from the water. Once on solid ground again Ephiny quickly checked to see how Xena was doing.

EPHINY 
Are you still in pain.

Xena gritted her teeth and nodded as she felt another jolt of pain come and go. Both knew that this was not a good situation and that Xena needed medical attention. After quickly examining Xena both were slightly relieved that there wasn't any bleeding that would indicate a miscarriage. But that didn't necessarily mean that Xena and the baby weren't still in danger as made apparent by the persisting pain that Xena was still experiencing. Ephiny stood as she looked around not recognizing where they were.

EPHINY 
We have to find a village or town and get you checked.

Xena sat on the ground and placed her hand on her stomach as she took a breath and tried to relax. Hoping that would help ease the pain as she looked around.

XENA 
I don't think there are any around here.

EPHINY 
True I'm not seeing any smoke.

Thunder cracked as the rain continued to come down. 

EPHINY
Even so we can't stay out in this. And we have to find you a healer.

Ephiny looked at Xena.

EPHINY 
Can you walk?

XENA 
I can try.

Ephiny carefully helped Xena stand and put her arm around her to help keep her up. Xena felt a another wave of pain come and go.

EPHINY 
You sure you can go?

XENA 
I don't really have much choice here do I?

EPHINY 
Okay let's go. Just let me know if you need to stop.

Xena nodded as the two begin walking in the hopes of finding shelter and someone who could hopefully help Xena.

SKYLA 
Any ideas why Gabrielle has us all standing out in the rain?

Amarice shrugged as a group of villagers and the visitors stood in the downpour as they waited for Gabrielle. After a few moments she walked outside from the village hall and stood in front of the crowd. As she stopped, Gabrielle forcefully planted one end of her staff in the ground beside her as a way to show that she ment business. Everyone was quiet as they waited for Gabrielle to speak.

GABRIELLE 
You know I had a real positive feeling about the idea of inviting others here when this started. I know that things haven't really gone very smoothly. Tensions and tempers are running high and everyone is on edge due to the number of incidents that have happened.

CLOVER 
Maybe they should just leave.

A number of villagers agreed.

GABRIELLE 
I've considered that. But as I'm sure you've noticed the weather hasn't really been very good for traveling. And since we're in the beginning of the rainy season, I don't see that changing for a while. And I'd rather not get the news that something happened to Willow, Celine or Cora on their way back home.

CELINE 
It's not like we would know how to get back anyway. We were blindfolded coming here remember.

Clover grumbled to herself as a number of people began wondering why they were out there.

GABRIELLE 
Simple I think that everyone here can use a better outlet to relieve some of their frustrations. Which is why we're going havea series of sparing matches between some of the villagers and our guests.

Everyone looked at each other surprised by Gabrielle apparent solution.

GABRIELLE 
Good now that I have your attention, let's get this started.

With that Gabrielle lead everyone to the practice field where she then went over the rules and selected pairings for the matches. Soon everyone was ready as Gabrielle climbed up and sat on the fence as the others gathered around different sections as the rain continued.

GABRIELLE 
Ok now let's get started.

So with that the matches began. But little did Gabrielle know that while her intentions were good, even the best layed plans can go terribly awry.

Pt.14

Another painful yell filled the air which was soon followed by a roar of thunder as Ephiny helped hold Xena up while another wave of pain tore through Xena's stomach.

EPHINY 
I think we should stop and let you rest a little Xena.

XENA 
No, stopping isn't going to do me any good.

EPHINY 
Neither is pushing yourself right now.

XENA 
I know what I'm doing.

EPHINY 
Do you? Because wondering around in the middle of a storm, not knowing where we're even going while you're in agony really doesn't seem like you have things under control.

XENA 
You know I don't Aah!

Xena was cut off mid sentence as another sharp pain hit, causing her to nearly double over if it weren't for Ephiny holding her.

EPHINY 
That's it I don't care what you say, we're stopping. You're pushing yourself isn't good for the baby.

XENA
(Irritated tone) And just what are we supposed to do sit in this and do nothing? I'm pretty darnn certain that isn't going to help either. 

EPHINY 
You're right but there's just no way we're making it to civilization like this.

XENA
(Irritated tone) Okay what do you suggest we do then?

EPHINY 
We find somewhere close that we can take shelter in and you can rest.

Ephiny looked around for someplace to dry they could wait while Xena rested but didn't see anything in the immediate area.

EPHINY 
Damn there's still nothing. You think you can keep going a little further?

XENA 
Yes.

EPHINY 
Okay. We'll go slow.

For the moment Xena's pain had subsided enough for her to continue on. As they kept going Ephiny would have them stop every so often to try to make sure Xena wasn't overexerting herself. As well as the short periods of time when Xena's pain got too severe for her to keep walking and they'd be forced to wait until it eased up enough for them to continue. However as they kept going the bouts of the more extreme pain began to become more frequent. Making it vertically impossible for them to cover any real distance. Still when Xena could, they walked. That was until a wave of pain so severe hit it caused Xena to immediately crumble to her knees. Ephiny quickly crouched beside her as Xena cried.

XENA 
I can't keep going. Something's really wrong.

Ephiny looked ahead seeing that there was no way that they were going any further with the condition that Xena was in. But they also couldn't just stay out in the open like they were.

EPHINY 
Okay just hold on Xena.

Ephiny stood up and walked a little ways ahead as she looked around for anything that could be used as shelter. She walked up a small hill and scanned their surroundings hoping that she could spot something.

EPHINY 
(Talking to herself) Come on there has to be a cave, an old shack or something around here.

She looked for a few moments and was about to return to Xena when she spotted what looked like an old abandoned building that wasn't too far off.

EPHINY 
(Talking to herself) Finally some good luck.

Ephiny quickly returned to Xena.

EPHINY 
Good news Xena I think I found us some shelter. It's not too far from here. Can you go a little further?

Xena took a few deep breaths and prepared herself.

XENA 
Let's just get there quick.

Ephiny helped Xena stand and the two slowly headed towards the structure while the rain continued to pour.

GABRIELLE 
So who's first?

Gabrielle stood as she waited for the first two to step up. The crowd looked around at each other for a few moments as they wondered who would be the first to participate in the matches Gabrielle had set up. 

CLOVER 
I'll give it a go.

Clover stepped forward and walked to the center of the muddy practice field.

GABRIELLE 
So that means that the other participant will be Willow.

Willow smirked as she accepted the role as Clover's opponent, and she too entered the field and met Clover in the middle. Both women stood a few feet apart from one another as they exchanged looks of distain.

GABRIELLE 
Okay if everyone's ready let's get this started.

With a wave of her hand the matches officially began. Willow and Clover slowly circled around the field as they sized each other up. Celine and Cora cheared on Willow. As the rest of the crowd rooted for Clover. Willow raised her fist as she moved into a defensive stance. While Clover edged closer and looked for an opening to move in. The two squared off for a few moments until willow was the first to make a move. She changed in and threw a punch. Which Clover blocked and countered with a low, sweeping kick and knocked Willow's legs out from under her. Willow fell to her back but kicked out her foot, hitting Clover in her midsection. Clover backed off as she recovered and Willow rolled back, got to her feet and sprung forward, lunging at Clover. She landed a blow to Clover's face. Willow didn't let up as Clover took several more rapid shots to her stomach, chest and face causing her to stagger back a couple steps as she shook off the blows. There was a brief lul in the action as willow smirked at Clover.

WILLOW 
What's wrong can't keep up?

Clover took a moment to stretch out a bit and crack a couple of her joints before returning to her fighting stance.

CLOVER 
Don't worry about me I was just getting warmed up. 

WILLOW 
(Sarcasm) Oh and is that supposed to intimate me?

CLOVER 
No just given you a warning in advance.

WILLOW 
(Sarcasm) Ooo I'm soo scared.

Clover didn't respond as she readied herself.

WILLOW 
(Sarcasm) I guess intermission's over.
Fine I'll just keep dancing circles around you.

With that Willow launched herself at Clover as she began throwing a flurry of punches and kicks. Clover blocked most of the hits but a few still made it through. She backed off as Willow's assault continued. Willow was fast and managed to easily dodge most of the offense that Clover attempted. This left the normally good fighter frustrated. Which Clover would've been able to accept if it weren't for Willow's excessive taunting and trash talk that was really wearing on her nerves. Willow then landed a hard blow across Clover's jaw making her go down to a knee. Willow's obnoxious taunting continued as Clover shook off the blow. Gabrielle was ready to call the match when Clover rose to her feet and scowled at Willow.

WILLOW 
(Mocking tone) Ooo someone looks angry. Come on, catch me if you can.

Willow then launched another series of punches and kicks. Many of them hitting their target. This went on for several minutes until Clover caught one of Willow's fists and pulled her in as she swung her arm and caught her right across the chest and drove Willow to the ground. After landing hard willow dodged and punch as she quickly rolled and kicked Clover's knee. The shot forced Clover to drop as Willow drove her own knee into her face. Clover began to fall back and grabbed Willow's wrist taking her down with her. As they fell Clover used the momentum to roll completely over and land on the of willow. Pinning her back to the ground as she pulled back and landed a hard shot to her chest. Willow's eyes went wide as her vision suddenly became blurry and she felt a sharp pain before everything quickly went black. After a few moments Gabrielle declared Clover the match's winner and stood up to go check on both competitors, But as she did she heard Cora yell that something was wrong as she and Celine ran onto the field. Gabrielle rushed over to Clover who was kneeling next to willow along with Cora and Celine who began to panic.

GABRIELLE 
What happened Clover?

Clover looked up from Willow who was laying there motionless.

CLOVER 
I don't know. I hit her and then she just stopped breathing.

Gabrielle couldn't believe this was happening. After everything that had already taken place if something happened to Willow Gabrielle was certain that she wouldn't be able to stop the backlash that would come if Clover ended up killing willow. She could already see the look of pure hatred and rage behind Cora and Celine's eyes as she looked on as they tried to resuscitate their friend. As she just hoped and silently prayed to any of the gods that might listening that Willow would be okay.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Please just don't let her die.

...

Pt.15

Panic erupted as Celine and Cora tried to rouse Willow who layed on the ground unbreathing after a hard shot from Clover to her chest during their match.

CELINE 
Willow! Willow come on!

Clover looked on in disbelief, as Cora glared at her.

CORA
(Angry tone) Is this your idea of sparing?!

CLOVER 
It was an accident I swear. 

Cora stood up and stormed up to Clover.

CORA 
(Angry tone) An accident?! She was already down! What purpose did that hit to her chest serve?!

CLOVER 
I wanted to make sure she stayed down.

CORA 
(Angry tone) So winning at all costs is all that matters to you?!

Clover was beginning to become angered by the implication that she purposely did this.

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) Obviously if I thought this would happen I wouldn't have hit her like that.

CORA
(Angry tone) Bullshit that was completely unnecessary and wreckless. I bet you did it on purpose because she was beating you and that just pissed you off.

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) You're right I was getting annoyed. But that was only due to her damn mouth and all the taunting. 

CORA
(Angry tone) So you admit it was on purpose.

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) I told you already it was an accident!

GABRIELLE 
Stop it! This isn't helping anything.

The two stopped yelling as Gabrielle returned her attention to Willow. Celine began doing C.P.R. as she tried to get Willow to breathe.

CELINE 
Come on breathe. Just breathe.

Knowing that the situation was dire Gabrielle told a villager to go get one of the healers and bring them there. With quick "yes my queen.", the woman ran off to fetch a healer. Gabrielle kept close watch as she waited for the healer. A few minutes later the villager she sent came running back with a healer right behind. Celine and Cora moved aside as the healer began her work. Finally after several long, agonizing minutes Willow gasped as she took a deep inhale and began breathing again.

GABRIELLE 
(Thinking to herself) Thank the gods she's alive.

Willow groaned in pain as she began to regain her senses and Gabrielle spoke to her.

GABRIELLE 
Willow are you okay?

WILLOW 
It hurts.

Willow grasped at her chest as Gabrielle looked at the healer for information. The woman gently felt around and sighed.

HEALER 
I think her sternum might be fractured.

GABRIELLE 
Damn.

Gabrielle knew from Xena that breaking or fracturing the sternum was very painful. And made worse by the normal movement of just breathing. There was also no way to just put a splint on that area like what would be done with an arm or leg to keep it straight while it healed. So there wasn't much anyone could do for Willow other than keep her medicated and as comfortable as possible. Which honestly wouldn't be much. She also knew that actually breaking someone's sternum was fairly difficult due to how hard these particular bones were. So she couldn't imagine how Clover could've hit Willow with that much force.

GABRIELLE 
Will she be okay?

HEALER 
Hopefully. We're gonna have to watch her for a while to make sure she doesn't have any other internal injuries.

Gabrielle watched as Willow was carefully carried to the infermery. Her attention quickly shifted when she heard Celine yell.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) You bitch!

Before anyone knew what was happening Celine lunged and punched Clover in the face as hard as she could. Clover staggered as she shook off the hit and wiped her mouth as she began to taste blood and scowled at Celine.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) Don't give me that look, you deserve far worse for what you just did.

SKYLA 
(Angry tone) Hey it was an accident.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) Fuck you! Stay out of this!

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) Don't you dare talk to her like that.

CORA 
(Angry tone) Or what, you gonna try killing her next?!

That was when another villager chimed in and Celine yelled back. As much as she tried to calm everyone down, Gabrielle could see the situation was rapidly spiraling out of her control. Which soon became too late for her to stop.

EPHINY 
We'll be there soon.

Xena felt another wave of pain pass as she leaned against Ephiny while they walked towards the unknown structure Ephiny had spotted for them to use as shelter from the storm. She looked ahead as they slowly got closer, not able to tell what it was due to the rain and how dark it had become. Not that she really cared. Since all she could think about was how she just wanted the pain to stop and her child to be okay. They walked several more feet when again Xena was nearly brought to her knees from a severe rush of pain. She cried out and clung to Ephiny who managed to hold Xena up until the extreme pain passed. Afterwards Xena regained the strength in her legs and stood mostly on her own again.

EPHINY 
You good to keep going?

Xena just nodded as they continued on. Xena and Ephiny walked a while longer until finally reaching the what they realized was a large, old building that looked as though it had been long forgotten. It was covered in overgrown vines and other plant life. The building itself while old, appeared to still be structurally sound. Slowly Ephiny helped Xena walk up the number of steps that lead to a pair of large doors. Then with some effort she used the shoulder Xena wasn't leaning on to push open one of the heavy doors enough the two of them to slip inside. Once they entered the building Ephiny looked around but couldn't see much with the lack of light. Xena made a painful whimper as another wave of pain came and went. It had begun to become more frequent and severe each time it hit. After feeling around for a few moments Ephiny found a spot for Xena to sit and carefully eased her down to the stone floor. Then she stood to see if she could find anything that could give them some light. After feeling around in the darkness Ephiny stumbled into something hard and caught herself on the flat waist high surface in front of her. After her eyes began adjusting to no light she squinted to see if she could find anything. Then she saw some sticks scattered around and moved to gather them up and after a few minutes got a small fire going. Once they had a little light and warmth Ephiny began to look around to see where they were but was stopped when Xena screamed. Ephiny quickly returned to Xena's side. Tears began to fill Xena's eyes as the pain worsened as Ephiny did what little she could to try and comfort her. Xena's fears began to overwhelm her as she sat there wishing that Gabrielle was with her.

XENA 
I'm so sorry Gabrielle. I never should've left. I should've been honest with you. And now it's too late.

Xena looked at Ephiny as she fought through the pain to continue.

XENA 
Ephiny when you make it back to the village I need you to tell Gabrielle how sorry I am for everything and that I love her more than anything else in this world.

EPHINY 
Don't talk like that, you're gonna make it through this and we'll get you back home.

XENA 
No. I've seen pain like this in pregnant women before and it never ends well. It always results in the loss of the child and 9 times out of 10 the mother dies too. And the only time she might not is if she's lucky and has a highly skilled healer with her. Which we obviously don't have right now.

Ephiny wanted to argue but she knew that Xena was right. So she did the only thing she could do and promised to give Gabrielle Xena's message and sat down beside Xena as she heard Xena hold back a pain fueled yell. As she tried not to think about what Xena said. Which would very soon become impossible.

...

Pt.16

The yelling continued as Gabrielle tried everything she could to get the quarreling to stop. But by this time it seemed as though everything she said went completely unheard. The yelling between the two sides got louder and more heated as Skyla, Iris, Fauna and several other villagers defended Clover stating that her injuring Willow was an accident. While Celine and Cora seemed to become increasingly enraged by the defense of Clover's actions.

GABRIELLE 
Stop arguing. Please everyone let's just calm down.

But no one was listening as they continued to yell. During the arguing Cora got right up in Clover's face and grabbed her by the shirt.

CORA 
(Angry tone) You think you're so damn tough attacking someone when they're down.

CLOVER 
(Angry tone) Get your hands off me.

Clover shoved Cora away.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) What's wrong can't take it when someone can actually fight back?

GABRIELLE 
Stop it all of you.

Again they ignored Gabrielle.

IRIS 
Why won't you listen to reason? It was obviously an unfortunate accident. We all saw it.

CORA 
(Angry tone) Why would we believe anything you people say? Of course you'll all stick up for each other. 

CELINE 
(Angry tone) Either that or you're blind or just plain stupid. Because what that bitch did was so clearly on purpose.

IRIS 
Clover wouldn't do something like that.

CLOVER 
Forget it Iris they obviously don't wanna hear the truth.

The yelling went on as Gabrielle continued to try and ease the mounting tension.

GABRIELLE 
Everyone stop.

SKYLA 
No matter how Willow got hurt there's a better way to handle this than arguing.

CELINE 
(Angry tone) You're right there is.

Then without another word Celine punched Clover, who shook off the hit only to have Cora hit her right after.

GABRIELLE 
Stop!

Gabrielle was about to put herself between the two sides to put a stop things before they got any more out of hand, when Skyla jumped in front of Clover to stop  her from being attacked. But in doing so she ended up taking a hard punch to the face, dropping her to the ground. What happened immediately after that almost felt like it played out in slow motion and yet Gabrielle still couldn't do anything fast enough to stop it. Because once Clover saw Skyla fall she flew into a rage and lunged at Cora who had inadvertently struck her. Clover grabbed Cora by the throat and lifted her slightly off the ground as Cora struggled to breathe and get free. Then Celine jumped on Clovers back and dug at her eyes. Clover yelled as the pain forced her to let go of Cora. Who once free turned around and tackled Clover to the ground and began raining her fists down as Celine held Clover down. That was when a number of villagers including Iris and Fauna jumped in to the fray and went after Celine and Cora as they pulled them off of Clover and began attacking the visiting Amazon's. Celine and Cora fought back as they pulled out a couple knives from their boots to try and even the odds from them being vastly out numbered. Gabrielle tried to get through the angry mob that had formed but was simply pushed aside. She stood there as she saw Cora and Celine break through the group and took off running as they grabbed few weapons from the weapon rack that was next to the practice field. The mob followed as many of them also picked up weapons along the way. Gabrielle pleaded with them th listen to reason as everyone ran past her chasing after Celine and Cora.

GABRIELLE 
No stop!

No one listened as Gabrielle quickly found herself standing alone in the middle of the practice field. She could hear yelling in the distance as she struggled to come with anything to stop the bloodshed that now seemed inevitable.

AMARICE 
What do we do now Gabrielle?

Gabrielle looked next to her as Amarice walked over to her.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know but if we don't stop them soon someone's gonna be killed.

Gabrielle and Amarice ran after the mob and followed them to the infermery. Gabrielle pushed to the front of the crowd and stood blocking the door that had apparently been barricaded from inside by Cora and Celine.

CLOVER 
Get out of the way Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE
No this needs to stop.

VILLAGER
They can't be trusted. 

Since trying to reason with everyone had failed Gabrielle attempted to try using her position to make everyone listen to her.

GABRIELLE 
That's enough! As queen I order all of you to stand down. 

However while that normally would've worked, by this time the mistrust and anger ran too deep and almost no one cared about Gabrielle's rank as they yelled and pushed her out of the way causing her to fall. Amarice helped Gabrielle stand as they could do nothing but watch as the mob began trying to break down the door of the infermery to get to the visiting Amazon's.

EPHINY 
How are you holding up?

Xena grit her teeth as the pain was now almost constant.

XENA 
(Angry tone) What do you think?

Xena cried out again as Ephiny ignored the way she responded knowing that it was the pain talking.

EPHINY 
Look you just need to hold on a little longer. I'm sure this storm will let up soon and it'll be easier to get you somewhere someone can help.

Xena clutched at her stomach as she cried.

XENA 
I don't know if I can.

Ephiny was quiet for a moment until she thought of something.

EPHINY 
Xena can't you do those pressure points you use to ease the pain. I've heard you've done it plenty of times for people before.

XENA 
I've already tried that but it doesn't work.

The building echoed with Xena's cry as the pain made her yell out again. Ephiny tried to remain calm and give Xena what little comfort she could. But it was becoming increasingly difficult to do so when Xena's pain just seemed to never end. Ephiny was at a complete loss with what to do as she sat there and held Xena  who shook with each wave of pain that hit. After a while Xena had stopped yelling as she was to exhausted to tell if the pain lessened or if she'd gotten somewhat used to it. For some time there was silence as only the sound of the storm outside could be heard. Xena's thoughts went to Gabrielle as she just wished she was back home being held by her. Exhausted Xena began to drift off. But as she did she was suddenly hit with the worst pain she'd experienced since it had started. She screamed as the pain shot through her. After a second it lessened before hitting again. That was when Xena noticed something else and looked down when she felt something wet between her legs. Xena's hand shook as she reached down for a moment before bringing her hand back up as both she and Ephiny saw blood. There was a brief look of horror on Xena's face when the same level of excruciating agony that Xena had just experienced struck again. Xena screamed in agony as Ephiny had the horrible feeling that she was about to watch Xena die.

...

Pt.17

Ephiny was at a complete loss for what she could possibly do. The situation had gone from bad to worse as Xena screamed. Now she was bleeding which was a sure sign of miscarriage. But being stuck in the middle of nowhere and no help around ment that Xena's life was in grave danger. Out of desperation Ephiny got up and ran out into the storm and yelled into the wilderness desperately hoping that anyone would be around and hear her. But there was nothing. She and Xena were the only souls around. She stood there for a moment as she looked up at the dark sky, silently praying to any of the gods that might be listening for a way out of the nightmare that she and Xena found themselves in. Hearing Xena scream again, Ephiny ran back inside.

EPHINY 
I'm here Xena.

Ephiny sat down as she saw Xena's tired expression. She was getting weaker as Ephiny could see Xena's life fading before her. Between her pain fueled screams Xena whimpered as she called out for Gabrielle. Knowing there wasn't anything she could do Ephiny just held Xena as she began to plan how she was going to have to break the news to Gabrielle of Xena's death and the circumstances surrounding it. Ephiny noticed xena beginning to loose more blood as Xena let out an almost deafening scream and saw the tears of anguish and fear running down Xena's face. Ephiny knew that Xena wasn't going to last much longer like this. Xena's eyes felt heavy. All she wanted to do was close them as she began to feel cold dispite being near a fire. She knew it was from the blood loss. Aware that she was going to die Xena thought of various things from throughout her life. Happy times, all the people she loved, her many, many regrets. But the one thing that she kept coming back to was Gabrielle. The one who made everything seem worth it. Who Xena loved more than anything she ever thought she could. The one who loved and accepted her flaws and all. Who always managed to see the good in her in spite of everything Xena had done. She loved Xena and Xena's heart broke that she let her fear stop her from telling Gabrielle the truth. Xena's thoughts were interrupted as more pain hit and she screamed. The pain was excruciating as Xena's voice echoed through the building. Not knowing how much more Xena could take Ephiny just held her as she just wished that there was anything that anyone could do 

EPHINY 
I'm sorry Xena I wish there was something I could do.

Ephiny felt hopeless as Xena yelled. Then she heard another voice that she didn't recognize.

?
Perhaps I can.

Ephiny looked around the dimly lit room for the origin of the voice as a quick flash of light suddenly appeared. After a moment Ephiny saw an unfamiliar woman standing in front of her and Xena. The woman smiled warmly at the two as she walked over and crouched down in front of them.

?
Hello Ephiny, Xena.

EPHINY 
Who are you?

The woman looked from Ephiny to Xena as she reached out and gently brushed Xena's hair out of her face.

?
I think Xena could answer that question. Isn't that right.

Xena's pain had eased slightly as she looked up at the woman recognizing her after a moment.

XENA 
...Artemis.

The goddess simply smiled in reply.

ARTEMIS 
It's nice to see you again.

Ephiny looked at the goddess in shock and awe.

EPHINY 
Artemis. You're really her?

ARTEMIS 
That's right Ephiny.

EPHINY 
You know who I am?

ARTEMIS 
Of course. I might not come in personal contact with many mortals but I do keep watch over all of my faithful people.

The conversation was cut short as Xena felt another extreme pain rip through her. Ephiny's attention was quickly brought back to Xena as she looked up at Artemis.

EPHINY 
Xena, she's pregnant. But there's something wrong. Please you have to help her or she's gonna die 

Artemis looked and saw the blood as she shook her head.

ARTEMIS 
You shouldn't push yourself so hard Xena. Especially so early in your pregnancy. 

The goddess layed her hand softly on Xena's stomach as a bright light began radiating from underneath it. Xena felt a gentle warmth spread throughout her midsection as her pain began to disapate and the bleeding between her legs stopped. And what was already there faced away. After a few moments Artemis took her hand away as she held out her hand and helped Xena stand.

ARTEMIS 
There you go.

Feeling no more pain at all Xena placed her hand on her stomach as she looked at Artemis.

XENA 
The baby...

ARTEMIS 
Is just fine. As are you.

Ephiny stood as Xena fought back tears of joy.

XENA 
Thank you.

ARTEMIS 
Of course. I'm more than happy to help someone who's done so much for my Amazon's. And who means so much to my queen.

That was when for the first time Artemis noticed that Gabrielle wasn't with Xena and Ephiny.

ARTEMIS 
Speaking of which the two of you are awfully far from home. And Xena without Gabrielle. That's very strange for you to go so long without her by your side.

Xena looked down slightly as she thought about the whole reason she had left the village and Gabrielle.

ARTEMIS 
So tell me what brings you to one of my temples.

XENA 
Your temple huh.

Artemis used her power to better illuminate the room as Xena and Ephiny saw that they had indeed taken shelter in a temple dedicated to the goddess. After a moment Ephiny spoke.

EPHINY 
Honestly we came here to escape the storm and because Xena was in pain.

ARTEMIS
I see. But that still doesn't explain why the two of you were out in this terrible weather to begin with. Just what we're you hoping to achieve?

Xena looked away sadly. Dispite her usual mistrust of God's Xena knew she could trust Artemis. Along with the fact that she had just saved both Xena and her unborn child's lives, Artemis had helped end the Amazon war and saved Gabrielle's life. So she decided to tell the goddess, though she wasn't exactly sure why.

XENA 
I was looking for answers.

ARTEMIS 
To what exactly?

XENA
How I got pregnant. And if I don't, I don't know how I'm supposed to face Gabrielle and tell her.

Artemis gave Xena a curious look.

ARTEMIS 
Wait you haven't told Gabrielle about your child? 

XENA
How could I? She'd want to know how it happened. She'd think I betrayed her.

ARTEMIS 
And have you? 

XENA 
Of course not. I'd never do something like that to her. I love Gabrielle more than my own life.

Artemis smiled.

ARTEMIS 
I know you do. I also know that Gabrielle feels the same for you. So don't you think she'd understand?

XENA 
I'm not sure. All I know is that I don't wanna lose her. How am I supposed to tell her that I'm pregnant and have no idea how it happened?

Artemis was silent for a moment as she thought before speaking again.

ARTEMIS 
And how do you feel about this unexpected child?

Xena placed her hand over her stomach for a moment then lowered her arm back to her side.

XENA
I might not know how it was conceived but it's still my child regardless. And I would do anything to protect him or her.

Xena and Ephiny looked at Artemis confused as the goddess again retreated into her thoughts for a moment.

ARTEMIS 
I see.

Artemis then claped her hands together.

ARTEMIS 
Okay why don't I take you two home now.

XENA 
How am I supposed to tell Gabrielle about this child when I still don't have any idea what happened?

ARTEMIS 
Xena,

Artemis placed her hand on Xena's shoulder as she looked into her eyes.

ARTEMIS 
What you and Gabrielle share is truly something special. I believe that Gabrielle would love you no less because of this. And she'd love this little one as her own, regardless of the circumstances of this child's origin. Just as you'd do for her.

XENA 
I would. But she still deserves answers.

ARTEMIS 
Don't worry once I take you back I'll make sure that both you and Gabrielle get the answers to all of your questions.

Artemis layed a hand on both Xena and Ephiny.

XENA 
But I...

Before Xena could finish objecting she, Ephiny and Artemis disappeared from the temple in a small flash, leaving only quickly fading specks of light behind.

...

Pt.18

The village was in chaos as the villagers pounded against the door to the infermery that Celine and Cora had barricaded themselves in along with the injured Willow. Gabrielle tried everything she could to stop the madness as after several minutes the mob finally broke into the building and a number rushed inside. After a few moments Gabrielle saw as Celine and Cora were forcefully dragged outside by the villagers. The thunder roared and angery chants rang out as they visiting Amazon's were dragged to the center of the village struggling to get free the whole way. Gabrielle and Amarice tried to stop the mob but were ignored and pushed aside as the villagers paraded Cora and Celine through the village.

VILLAGER 1
What about the third one?

VILLAGER 2
Clover pretty much already handled her. We can deal with her after these two.

Gabrielle continued to try stopping the villagers.

GABRIELLE 
Stop, this is just plain murder. This isn't how to settle things. Think about what you're doing,. If you do this it could cause a war with their village. 

Again Gabrielle went ignored as members of the mob yelled to kill the visitors.

GABRIELLE
No!

Multiple villagers drew weapons as others held Celine and Cora to keep them from running. The frenzied villagers closed in as the yelling got louder. One woman raised a spear to plunge it into Cora's chest. There was nothing Gabrielle could do but watch as suddenly a loud voice echoed through the air.

?
Stop this at once! 

Everyone stopped as they looked around for the origin of the sound.

?
What is this madness?

Then as everyone wondered where the voice was coming from there was a bright flash in the middle of the village as most everyone was forced to shut or shield their eyes from the light. A moment later the light faded as the people around gasped as they saw a beautiful, mysterious woman standing there. The woman looked around for a moment before raising her hand and a few seconds later the rain stopped.

?
That's better. 

Everyone gasped again as they backed away from her slightly. As the clouds parted and the sun began to come out Gabrielle finally realized that she knew who this woman was. She slowly walked a little closer as she wondered why she was there.

GABRIELLE 
Artemis? 

Artemis looked over at Gabrielle and smiled.

ARTEMIS 
We meet again Gabrielle.

The crowd gasped in awe at the realization of this woman being their secred patrin goddess as many women dropped to a knee and bowed their heads. While others just stood there in wonder unable to believe what they were seeing. Artemis simply smiled at their reactions as she kept most of her attention on Gabrielle. Meanwhile Gabrielle pushed aside her initial shock as she got to the point of what could've possibly brought the usually reclusive goddess to the village.

GABRIELLE 
What brings you here Artemis? You don't normally show yourself to people, so is something wrong?

ARTEMIS 
Other than you seeming to have your hands full, no.

Gabrielle lowered her head slightly.

GABRIELLE 
I see. I guess things have gotten so out of hand that you couldn't ignore your people fighting amungst themselves again. I'm sorry. I just wanted this village and it's people to flourish and I... I'm a terrible queen. I can't even keep peace in a single village. You're probably here to tell me I'm no longer queen aren't you? I understand. 

ARTEMIS 
What?

Artemis chuckled a little as she walked over and gently lifted Gabrielle's chin as Gabrielle looked into the goddess' eyes.

ARTEMIS 
First as I've said the first time we met I couldn't have picked a better person to rule my Amazon's myself. You're a wonderful queen Gabrielle. I know that you care so deeply for your people and only want the best for them. Which is exactly what you've tried to do here. How could I possibly fault you for that? So no I'm not here to remove you as queen.

Gabrielle looked at the goddess with a confused expression.

GABRIELLE 
I don't understand if you're not here because of the issues between the villagers and other Amazon's, then why are you here?

ARTEMIS 
I happened to find a couple people in one of my temples and thought I'd give them a lift home.

Artemis stepped aside as Gabrielle saw Xena and Ephiny standing a few feet away as everyone was surprised by their sudden appearance. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

Gabrielle smiled as she ran over and practically lept into Xena's arms. The two held each other as Xena kissed the top of Gabrielle's head.

GABRIELLE 
I've missed you.

Xena smiled.

XENA 
I missed you too Gabrielle. More than you know. I'm so sorry for the way I left.

GABRIELLE 
I'm sorry too. I was so mad at you at first but...I'm just glad you're home now.

XENA 
Me too.

After a couple moments the two separated and Gabrielle smiled at Ephiny.

GABRIELLE 
It's good to have you back safe too.

Gabrielle hugged her friend who then looked at the crowd.

EPHINY 
Why do I get the feeling that we missed something here?

XENA 
Yeah what did we just get dropped into the middle of?

Gabrielle looked at the crowd.

GABRIELLE 
Well while you were gone I thought I could find a way to get everyone to work out their frustrations and get along better. But as you can see things didn't really go as planned.

XENA 
Clearly.

GABRIELLE 
I honestly don't know what else to do. I don't think they're willing to listen to reason. 

ARTEMIS 
Maybe a little godly intervention is just what we need here.

Gabrielle and Xena looked Artemis.

GABRIELLE 
What are you going to do?

ARTEMIS
Don't you worry about that. You just leave them to me. Now I believe you and Xena have some things that you've been needing to discuss.

Xena looked at Artemis in disbelief.

XENA 
You can't seriously exspect me to do this right now.

The goddess walked over to Xena.

ARTEMIS
I seem to remember you saying that you regretted not being honest with Gabrielle back in the temple.

Xena looked at Gabrielle as she fought back her fear.

XENA 
I did but what am I supposed to say? I still don't even know how to explain everything.

ARTEMIS 
You love her don't you?

XENA 
Yes. 

Xena reached over as she took Gabrielle's hand in hers.

XENA 
I'm just scared of what will happen if I do. 

Gabrielle tightened her grip on Xena's hand slightly as she placed her other hand on top of Xena's.

GABRIELLE 
Whatever it is Xena, I love you. I know we'll find a way get through it together. We always do don't we?

XENA 
I just don't think I have the answers that I know you'll want. And certainly not the ones you deserve.

GABRIELLE 
Don't you trust me?

XENA 
It's not a matter of me not trusting you.

GABRIELLE 
Then why Xena? What could possibly be so serious that you'd be so afraid to tell me?

XENA 
I'm afraid after I tell you that you won't trust me. I don't wanna lose you.

GABRIELLE 
You won't. Please Xena just talk to me.

Giving her near death experience Xena didn't want to continue to keep Gabrielle at arms length. And she knew that she would have to tell her soon enough anyway once the baby grew bigger and she started showing. This was going to be one of the most difficult things Xena was going to have to do.

XENA 
Okay Gabrielle. Come on.

Xena lead Gabrielle away from the others as she found a spot near the lake and waterfall where they could talk privately.

XENA 
Why don't we sit here.

Gabrielle gave Xena a curious look but decided to go along with what Xena asked since she finally seemed to be willing to open up to her. So she and Xena sat on a couple rocks as Xena looked into the water while trying figure out where to even begin. As Xena hoped that what she was about to reveal really wouldn't cause Gabrielle to walk away from her forever.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy