Until Dawn

by TrueT159

SUMMARY:
One night as Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer sit around the campfire, Xena and Gabrielle tell the chilling story about her and Gabrielle's fight for survival one night in an unkown forest. And how they made it until dawn.

 

The cold air sent chills down everyone's spines as lightening flashed lighting up the dark room. The sound of thunder roared as a figure stepped into the doorway. The people in the small house shook with fear as the giant shadow approached with a frightening growl. The unknown creature slowly began walking up to it's soon to be victims, stalking it's prey. A woman in the group cried out for help as the creature showed it's razor sharp fangs. Drool oozing from it's mouth, the creature got closer as it got ready for the kill. Just as the monster was about to strike, a voice spoke up from behind the creature.

?
I think you're looking for your dinner in the wrong place.

The creature looked back and saw a tall, strong, noble, brave, mighty hero standing in the doorway.

WOMAN 
We're saved.

The woman's face lit up, knowing that her hero had come. She ran and quickly took shelter behind the brave warrior.

WOMAN 
Thank the gods you're here.

?
Fear not my fair maiden for I will not allow any harm to come to you. Now stand back while I dispatch of this beast.

The warrior drew their sword., and prepared to chang the monster.

WOMAN 
Wait before you go, please great hero. Could you tell me your name.

The brave and strong warrior looked at the woman and gave her a stunningly attractive smile.

?
Of course my lady. I am the great hero known far and wide as Joxer, Joxer The Mighty.

The ruggedly handsome Joxer The Mighty ran towards the monster. Swinging his sword and carving into it's flesh with his trusty blade. The creature's blood sprayed on the floor. The creature swung at Joxer with its claws. But he was too fast and blocked. Then cut the monster again. The creature roared as it backed away, trying to retreat.

JOXER 
Ha ha there is no escape foul beast.

Joxer charged in and drove his sword through the creature. The creature whimpered as more of it's blood was spilled. The great hero yanked his blade out as the monster fell dead. The woman ran over to her new hero.

WOMAN 
Oh thank you for saving me great hero.

JOXER 
No need to thank me fare lady, your safety is all the thanks I need.

The woman hugged him and kissed his cheek.

JOXER 
Now let's get you out of here.

Joxer lifted the woman into his strong arms and began walking towards the door. But then the door slammed shut as an evil laugh echoed through the room.

EVIL VOICE 
You think you've won? Fools now you're trapped. You're mine!

Joxer put the woman down as he looked around for the creature.

JOXER 
Come out and face me.

The creature laughed, as Joxer saw blood begin to run down the walls and seep up through the floor boards.

EVIL VOICE 
You're doomed! DOOMED! AH HA HA HA HA!

XENA 
Stop! For the love of the gods just stop.

JOXER 
What?

Joxer looked at Xena who was sitting on the other side of the campfire.

XENA 
This story is ridiculous.

JOXER 
No it's very, very scary. Right Gabby?

Joxer looked at Gabrielle who was sitting next to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Well, it was certainly uh, interesting.

Joxer sighed.

JOXER 
You didn't like it either did you?

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) I think it just needs a little more tweaking.

XENA 
(Quietly/ Sarcasm) More like a complete exorcism.

Gabrielle nudged Xena in the side with her elbow. Xena shot her a an annoyed look.

JOXER 
Okay Xena you think it's so easy to tell a scary story. Why don t you try?

XENA 
Hey we all know Gabrielle's the story teller here.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Actually I like that idea.

Gabrielle got another irritated look from Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Come on, it'll be fun.

Gabrielle gave Xena her prettiest smile as she baited the warrior with her big green eyes. Xena sighed knowing that Gabrielle knew full well what she was doing and that Xena wouldn't be able to say no.

XENA 
Fine.

Gabrielle smiled, satisfied. Xena leaned close to Whisper in Gabrielle's ear so Joxer wouldn't hear.

XENA 
(Whisper) You owe me.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper/ Seductively) Don't worry I'll be sure that you're fully compensated for your trouble later.

Xena raised her eyebrow and smirked catching Gabrielle's hint.

JOXER 
Uh what are you two Whispering about?

XENA 
(Lying) Just bouncing some story ideas off our resident bard here.

Gabrielle smirked as Xena sat back and returned her focus to coming up with a story. Then she had something pop into her head.

XENA 
Alright you want a scary story, I've got one for ya. And it's not just some little old ghost story. This one is actually scary, because it's true.

Gabrielle looked at Xena wondering just where she was going with that last line.

XENA 
It started out just like any other day. Gabrielle and I were riding along on our way to I forget where. It's not important.

JOXER 
Wait, wait, wait you and Gabby?

XENA 
I said the story was true didn't I? I would know because we were there. Now can I continue?

Joxer nodded as Xena continued her story.

XENA 
Now where was I?

----- FLASH BACK -----

Xena and Gabrielle rode down through the quiet scenery on Argo. Xena looked up at the sky.

XENA 
It's getting late Gabrielle. I think we're gonna have to camp here tonight.

Gabrielle looked around at the bare trees as they slowly rode by. Not liking the idea of having to stay in the forest all night.

GABRIELLE 
I don't know Xena. Something about this place gives me the creeps.

Xena chuckled.

XENA 
We face warlords, gods and all sorts of other dangers all the time and you're telling me that you're afraid of sleeping in forest just because it's a little creepy?

GABRIELLE 
It's not funny.

XENA 
Relax everything's perfectly fine.

Xena gave Gabrielle's arm that was wrapped around her waist a light reassuring pat. 

XENA 
(Joking) I'll be sure to protect you from anything that might go bump in the night.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Xena and Gabrielle rode for a little longer before they found a good spot to set up camp. Once everything was set Xena and Gabrielle sat by the campfire. Gabrielle looked out at their surroundings. Her uneasiness about that place hadn't left her. Xena could tell that she was still uncomfortable.

XENA 
Since when do you get so easily scared like this?

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. But there's just something about this forest that feels really off.

Xena  got up and looked around trying to figure out what Gabrielle might've been picking up on, but got nothing,

XENA 
I don't see or hear any signs of anything that we would need to worry about.

GABRIELLE 
Huh usually you're the more perceptive one. But I'm telling you Xena something's not right here.

Xena sighed as she folded her arms across her chest. She looked at Gabrielle, seeing the worry on her face.

XENA 
You really don't feel comfortable here do you?

GABRIELLE 
No. 

XENA 
Okay. Start packing up then.

Gabrielle got up began picking up their stuff along with Xena. She looked at Xena, giving her a semi relieved smile.

GABRIELLE 
Thank you.

Xena lovingly patted Gabrielle's shoulder.

XENA 
Don't mention it.

One they were all packed up, Xena took Argo's reigns as she and Gabrielle walked out into the darkness. Not knowing that Gabrielle was right and this was about to become one of the longest nights of their lives.

×××

A light fog began to set it as Xena and Gabrielle continued on their way through the forest.

GABRIELLE 
Why does this forest need to keep getting creepier?

XENA 
It's just a little fog Gabrielle. 

GABRIELLE 
In my head I know that. But I just can't shake the feeling that something bad is gonna happen if we don't get out of here.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
(Creepy voice) Maybe it's already too late.

Xena chuckled at her own humor. Though Gabrielle wasn't exactly in the mood for jokes.

GABRIELLE 
(Annoyed tone) Sure laugh it up Xena. Let's see how funny it is when we end up becoming victim to what ever's out there.

Xena sighed.

XENA 
Look I'm sorry. I know you're scared okay. I was just trying to lighting the mood a little that's all.

GABRIELLE 
I know. I didn't mean to snap at you like that. I just really want to get out of here.

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder trying to reassure her that everything was okay.

XENA 
Come on the sooner we get through this forest, the better you'll feel.

Xena had them stop walking and get on Argo. Figuring it would be alot quicker to ride. The two rode along quietly for a while.

GABRIELLE 
Just how big is this place? It feels like we've been riding forever.

XENA 
Not sure I've never been here before.

GABRIELLE 
Are you sure we're not lost? 

XENA 
I don't think so. We've been heading in the same direction since we got here. So logic would dictate that if we keep going, we should reach the exit, eventually.

Gabrielle sighed, not extremely fond of that last part Xena added. As they continued, Gabrielle suddenly felt a chill run down her spine. Xena felt her tense up as she tightened her grip around Xena's waist and looked back at her.

XENA 
What's wrong?

GABRIELLE 
I don't know. But that feeling I've had since we got here just got way worse.

Xena had Argo stop. As she and Gabrielle stayed on their horse, Xena looked around. Again trying to find what Gabrielle was sensing.

GABRIELLE 
Why'd we stop?

XENA 
Shh.

Xena listened for anything that could've been a danger of some kind. But like before she didn't hear anything. 

GABRIELLE 
Anything?

XENA 
No. I'm not sure what you're picking up on, but I don't...

Xena suddenly stopped talking mid sentence as she felt a chill race down her spine and her instincts that something was wrong kicked in. Xena instantly went on high alert. Gabrielle noticed Xena's reaction.

GABRIELLE
Xena?

XENA 
I think I finally picked up on what you've been sensing. And you were right, there's something really wrong with this forest. We should go, now.

Xena got Argo going again but now they were moving much faster. They galloped through the area, covering ground quickly. Gabrielle held on tightly to Xena as they rode.

GABRIELLE 
What do you think is going on? 

XENA 
No clue, but I have no intention of finding out. All I know is that this place is bad news and we're leaving.

They raced past the trees and foliage as Argo trampled the ground under her hooves. They rode until they came to a small clearing. Sensing danger up ahead, Xena halted their ride. As Argo came to a stop, Xena got down and drew her sword. She looked around, knowing that something was off. Gabrielle got down from Argo and stood beside Xena.

XENA 
There's someone or something out there. And whoever it is has been following us.

GABRIELLE 
Then Why'd we stop? I thought we were leaving.

XENA 
Change of plans we're not going anywhere.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean we're not leaving? Don't tell me that you suddenly wanna stay.

XENA 
Trust me Gabrielle I want to leave this forest behind just as much as you do.

GABRIELLE 
Then let's go already.

XENA 
(Sighs) We can't.

GABRIELLE 
What? 

XENA 
I think we're stuck here.

GABRIELLE 
Why would you think that?

XENA 
Because think about how long we've been riding through here and there seems to be no end to the forest in sight.

GABRIELLE 
Couldn't we just turn around and go back the way we came?

XENA 
I already turned us around a while ago. We should've already made it out. I think something's keeping us trapped here.

GABRIELLE 
The same thing we've been sensing.

XENA 
Most likely.

GABRIELLE 
So now what?

XENA 
We find whatever's keeping us here and make it let us go.

?
You can try.

Xena held her sword ready as she looked around for whoever just spoke. The chill she felt before returned.

XENA 
Show yourself.

?
No not yet.

Xena scowled.

XENA
Who are you? And what do you want with us?

?
You'll find out who I am soon enough. And as for what I want, that's simple. The two of you just happened to have walked into my trap.

XENA 
Care to elaborate.

?
It's nothing personal. I don't even know who either of you are. But over the past couple of centuries I've made this forest my home after escaping from that god's forsaken place known as Tartarus. I get bored so easily these days, so when you showed up I could hardly contain my excitement to have a couple of new play things.

XENA 
If you want something to play with get yourself a doll. We aren't here for your entertainment.

.?
Oh but that's where you're wrong. Now should I get to explaining the rules of my little game?

XENA 
That depends. What if we decide that we don't wanna participate in this game of yours?

?
Then all hope for your escape is already gone.

Gabrielle leaned in close to Xena.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) I think we should here what he has to say.

Xena nodded in agreement.

XENA 
Alright what's the deal with this game?

?
I thought you'd see things my way.

XENA 
Get on with it. We don't have all night here.

The voice laughed a little.

?
Actually that's exactly what you do have.

XENA 
What?

?
The rules are simple. All you have to do is make it through the night in my forest. And if you do the spell that holds you here will be broken and you'll be free to leave.

XENA 
And just what do you mean by "make it through the night"? 

?
Because I am also participating in this game. And to put it in a way you would easily understand, let's just say that I'm "it". And that the results of you being caught are just to die for.

The voice let out an evil laugh that echoed around Xena and Gabrielle. Xena clenched her fist as she looked around, trying to see if she could locate whoever was behind this. But there was only her and Gabrielle.

XENA 
Fine you wanna play, we'll play. But I have no intention on losing this sick little game of yours.

?
And I wouldn't have it any other way. Otherwise it wouldn't be nearly as fun. I look forward to meeting you face to face. Until then take care.

The voice laughed as it faded out. Xena and Gabrielle tried to process the situation that they now found themselves in.

GABRIELLE 
Great we're being held in a creepy forest by some unknown psycho who wants to hunt us down and then kill us just for the fun of it.

Gabrielle walked over to nearby fallen tree and sat down.

GABRIELLE 
How is it that we always seem to attract the worst kinds of trouble.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Must be that fantastic luck we're always having.

Xena walked over and sat beside Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE 
So what do we do now?

XENA 
The only thing we can do. Survive until dawn.

×××

Crickets could be heard chirpping in the cool night air as Xena and Gabrielle sat on a log after finding that they were being held captive for some unknown enemy's sadistic game of cat and mouse. Xena looked up at the sky as she sighed. Realizing that this was going to be a very long night. Gabrielle looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
So what's the plan?

Xena looked at Gabrielle.

XENA 
Well first we need to move. Just staying out in the open like this only makes us easy targets. So finding shelter or at least someplace more secluded is our safest option.

Xena stood up.

XENA 
Next we need to figure out who's behind this twisted game. Then we stop them.

GABRIELLE 
You make it sound so simple.

XENA 
Hey I never said it was gonna be easy.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Is it ever?

XENA 
Our lives would sure be far less interesting if it was, wouldn't it?

GABRIELLE 
That's definitely one way to put it.

Xena turned to start walking.

XENA 
Come on, we should get moving. Staying here much longer probably isn't a good idea.

Gabrielle got up as she, Xena and Argo walked away from the clearing in search of shelter. As they walked Xena was sure to keep a lookout for any sign of their unkown predator. Gabrielle thought to herself as she noticed that most of the anxiousness she had felt earlier was gone. 

GABRIELLE 
Hey Xena I noticed something strange.

XENA 
Hmm?

GABRIELLE
Most of that uneasiness I've had since we got here is gone. I wonder why. Especially now that we know that something IS out here.

XENA 
It was probably your basic instincts kicking in to warn you of something that we weren't continously aware of yet. And now that we know about the danger it's not as bad because alot of the time it's the fear of the unknown that really gets us. 

GABRIELLE 
I guess that makes sense.

They continued along until Xena heard a low growl. She quickly stopped as she held her arm in front of Gabrielle stopping her as well.

XENA 
(Whisper) Who or whatever is after us is close.

Xena motioned for Gabrielle to get on Argo as she drew her sword and looked around. Gabrielle climbed on the horse as Xena slowly backed towards Gabrielle. There was a rustling sound in a group of trees. Xena quickly looked towards the sound and saw a large shadow lurking in the midst of the darkness. She kept her sword ready.

XENA 
I know you're there. Why don t you just come out and we can do this face to face.

The shadow laughed.

?
Oh do I not scare you?

XENA 
(Sarcasm) I wouldn't know I haven't seen you. But I'm sure you're face can't be that bad.

?
Ah yes humor. A fine tactic to try and mask your true emotions.

XENA 
Who said I was masking anything?

?
You can lie to yourself but you can't fool me. I can smell your fear. Especially from that one sitting behind you. And it's exquisite.

Xena glanced back at Gabrielle, then looked back at the shadow.

XENA 
Don't even think about trying anything. 

?
But that is the whole point to all this. As I've told you this is a game of survival.

XENA 
If you insist.

Xena grabbed her chakrum.

XENA 
I guess it's game on.

She threw her chakrum into the trees towards the shadow. The shadow quickly dodged as Xena's weapon began to ricochet off the trees and bounce around. The shadow roared as it got hit. Then it knocked Xena's chakrum away, sending it back at her. Xena easily caught it and returned the weapon to it's place on her hip. The shadow growled.

?
I'll be sure to kill you first.

XENA 
You can try.

?
Oh I'll do far more than that.

the shadow began to run towards Xena. Unintimidated, Xena stood ready. Her sword poised to strike. Before Xena could see what was coming, the shadow abruptly changed direction. Xena turned to watch as it stayed in the cover of the trees. It didn't take long for her to realize what the shadows true target was.

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Wasting no time Xena whistled for Argo. Gabrielle quickly held on as the horse suddenly ran towards Xena. As Argo got to her, Xena hopped on in front of Gabrielle. She turned to glare back at where the shadow now was.

?
Aren't you the smart one. Now the real fun starts.

Xena knew that fighting there wasn't going work. She needed to get Gabrielle somewhere relatively safe. They had to find a good spot to regroup, and figure out just what they were actually up against. She got Argo running and they sped off into the night.

?
Yes, run. That makes things far more interesting.

The shadow took off running after them. And so the mystery hunter's game truly began. Gabrielle held on tight, as Xena looked behind them seeing the shadow close behind. The darkness and the trees still made it impossible for Xena to see their pursuer's identity. All she knew was that based off of what she could see, they were farely big and obviously not human. Though that didn't really help all that much at the moment. Right then all she could do was try and get Gabrielle and herself away from whatever the thing after them was. And find someplace safe. Then she could think of what they were going to do next. Because if they were going to be forced into a game where her and Gabrielle's lives were on the line. This was going to be one game that Xena was not going to lose.

×××

Dirt from the ground was kicked up as Xena and Gabrielle were carried through the forest as fast as Argo could go. As they moved Xena looked back to see where their mystery pursuer was. Gabrielle held tightly to Xena as they traveled through the night. They could hear the roars and the rustling of the greenery as the predator behind them that still remained unidentifiable continued it's pursuit. Xena steered them in various directions in an effort to lose the danger that followed them. The sound of snapping branches begin to get louder behind them. Knowing that they had to lose what ever was following them, Xena quickly assessed the situation. She yelled and leaned forward in an effort to gain a little more speed. Xena scanned the area as they rode, trying to find a way to escape. Then she looked to her side and saw something that just might work.

XENA 
Hold on tight.

Gabrielle didn't know how she could possibly make her hold around Xena any tighter. But she leaned into Xena's back and braced herself for whatever Xena had planned. They rode straight for a little longer, before out of nowhere Xena tugged on the reigns and caused Argo to make a sharp turn. Then they resumed going straight. Xena looked back again to gage the distance between them and their pursuer. The abrupt turn gave them a little more space, but their predator was still hot on Xena and Gabrielle's trail. Xena looked forward and saw the reason she had turned when she did coming up fast.

XENA 
Gabrielle duck.

Gabrielle looked and saw group of interwoven trees with an opening that they appeared to be heading right for. She crouched lower. Xena was ready to have Argo make the jump through the opening when a large log fell just in front of them. The sudden movement paired with everything else startled Argo. Causing her to rear up. The unexpected jolt back made Gabrielle lose her grip on Xena and she was thrown to the ground.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle layed on the ground slightly dazed from the sudden fall. As she layed there, on her back, Gabrielle heard the stomping footsteps of what they've been trying to escape. She lifted her head as everything came back into focus. Her green eyes wideed in fear as the large figure got closer. Gabrielle quickly rolled over and began scrambling to get to her feet. Meanwhile Xena had gotten off of Argo and had her chakrum already in her hand. As Gabrielle got up she felt herself get grabbed from behind.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle franticly clawed at the ground as she felt herself being lifted into the air. Xena yelled as she hurled her chakrum at the mystery creature. The projectile hit its mark and the unknown creature dropped Gabrielle, who quickly scurried over to Xena as Xena's chakrum came back.

XENA 
Quick Gabrielle climb through there.

Xena motioned to the group of interwoven trees as she took out her sword.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

XENA 
I'll be right behind you, now go!

Gabrielle turned and began climbing through the trees, as Xena stood in front of the creature. The mystery hunter laughed.

?
(Condescending tone) Is this where you try and fight back?

XENA 
I figured it was about time.

Xena let out her battle cry as she jumped towards the creature holding her sword ready to swing. But the large creature easily swatted her down to the ground. Xena hit hard, but had no time to linger on the blow as she was forced to swiftly roll out of the way of a large foot that was coming down on her. Xena stood back up as she quickly put some space between the creature and herself.

GABRIELLE 
Xena come on.

Xena glanced over and noticed that Gabrielle had made it through the trees and was safely on the other side. However the momentary distraction allowed the creature to land a hit on Xena. Gabrielle watched through the opening as Xena was sent crashing into a tree.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

The creature stalked Xena as slowly sat up. She looked up at the towering shadow that stood over her.

GABRIELLE 
No Xena. 

Gabrielle quickly began crawling back out from the trees to get to Xena.

?
Looks like I'm about to claim the first victim of this game. Any last words?

XENA 
Just a few. I don't lose.

?
Anything else? 

XENA 
Yeah but it's not exactly a word. It's more of a noise.

?
Oh? And just what sound might that be?

XENA 
This one.

Xena let out a quick loud whistle. Which confused the mystery hunter. But before there was time to wounder what Xena was doing, the creature felt a hard jab in its side and was knocked to the ground. Xena smiled at Argo who had kicked the creature with both of her back hoves.

XENA 
Good girl. Now get out of here. We'll meet back up later.

The horse snorted as she turned away and trotted off. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

Xena took the opportunity and headed towards where Gabrielle was. She began to climb through, when she felt her leg get grabbed and started being dragged back out.

?
You're not going anywhere!

Xena held on to a tree branch trying to keep herself from being dragged back through the opening.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle quickly grabbed Xena's arms and began pulling. Xena kicked her free leg. Stomping on creature repeatedly and the doing everything she could to free herself from it's clutches.

XENA 
Let, me, go, you, damn, bastard!

Finally with the combination of Xena's kicking and Gabrielle's pulling, the creature's hold on Xena's leg lossened. Gabrielle yanked hard as Xena slipped out of the creature's grasp and she shot the rest of the way through the opening. The loss of resistance caused Gabrielle to loose her balance and she fell back as Xena came through and landed on top of her. The two layed there for a moment as the adrenaline of their narrow escape began to diminish. The creature could be heard on the other side.

?
You may have escaped for now, but this game is far from over just yet.

The stomping footsteps faded out as the creature walked off. Catching her breath Xena looked back at the spot she and Gabrielle had come through. Realizing just how close of a call that was. Clearly whatever that thing was, it was dangerous.

GABRIELLE 
Get, off.

Xena looked down as she felt Gabrielle trying to push Xena's full weight off of her. Xena rolled over and sat there as Gabrielle made an exaggerated gasp. Xena looked down at her.

XENA 
You alright?

Gabrielle caught her breath and nodded as she looked at Xena.

GABRIELLE
Yeah, you?

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Never better.

Gabrielle sat up as she and Xena looked at the wall of interwoven trees that had saved them.

GABRIELLE 
What was that thing?

XENA 
I don't know but I fully intend on finding out. Come on let's see if we can find something that can help us.

Xena and Gabrielle got up and began walking deeper into the forest.

GABRIELLE 
Hey is Argo gonna be okay out here alone?

XENA 
She'll be fine. What ever that thing was is after us. We'll find her later. 

Xena and Gabrielle walked through the forest. Staying on high alert for the next attack that might come at any time. As they continued on they came across a cave. After looking for any signs of their predator, Xena determined that the coast was clear and they went inside.

XENA 
Maybe we can hide out in here until morning.

GABRIELLE
Let's just hope that it's not already in here somewhere.

XENA 
I doubt it. This place looks pretty small. I'm sure we would've noticed something that big easily. Even with how dark it is.

GABRIELLE 
Speaking of which, you think you can do something about that? I can't see a thing.

XENA 
Stay right here and don't move. I'll be right back.

GABRIELLE 
Wait where are you going?

XENA 
Getting us some light. Just stay here.

Gabrielle heard Xena walk away back the way they came in. She stood alone in the darkness waiting for Xena to return. The sounds of the night played with Gabrielle's mind. She took a couple of deep breaths as she tried to relax a little. But went stiff when she heard an unkown sound coming from the way Xena had gone.

GABRIELLE 
(Quietly) Xena?

No one answered, but the sound continued. And it began to get louder. Gabrielle backed up until she felt the cave wall behind her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena if that's you this isn't funny.

Again there was no response as the sound continued to come Gabrielle's way. Gabrielle held her staff ready for whatever was coming down the corridor. She quickly hugged the wall just out of sight and waited for whatever was coming. She held her breath as the footsteps got closer and closer. Then Gabrielle saw a figure step into view. She yelled as she quickly swung her staff, hitting her target.

XENA 
Oww! What was that for?!

GABRIELLE 
Xena? 

Gabrielle lowered her staff as she saw Xena standing there with a torch in one hand and rubbing her head with the other.

GABRIELLE 
Sorry I thought you were that thing that's been after us. Why didn't you answer me?

XENA 
I didn't hear you. Damn you've really been working on your swing.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) I'm sure you'll live.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Remind me to get myself a helmet.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) Funny.

Now that they had some light, Gabrielle looked around at the cave and noticed that there were paintings on the walls.

GABRIELLE 
Xena look at this.

Xena finished rubbing her head and looked at what Gabrielle had pointed out. Xena held the torch close to the wall as she looked at the artwork.

GABRIELLE 
What is this?

XENA
It looks like some kind of story I think.

Gabrielle looked closer as she studied the wall paintings.

GABRIELLE 
I could swear that some of these figures seem familiar. Like I know this story from somewhere.

Xena looked at Gabrielle as the bard focused on the wall. She could see the wheels turning in Gabrielle's mind. Then after a few minutes of silence Gabrielle suddenly yelled.

GABRIELLE 
That's it!

XENA 
I'm guessing you remembered where you know the story from.

GABRIELLE 
No. 

XENA 
Then what was with you getting all excited just now? 

Gabrielle looked at Xena and smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Because I think I just figured out what or rather who has been trying to kill us.

×××

JOXER 
So who was it? Who was after you guys?

Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer still sat around the campfire. Xena looked at Joxer and rolled her eyes at his over excitement.

XENA 
If you give me a second I was just about to get to that.

JOXER 
Oh right.

Xena sighed as she Whispered to Gabrielle.

XENA 
(Whisper) How long has he been traveling with us again?

GABRIELLE
(Whisper) I'm sure he'll get tired of almost getting killed on a daily basis and head back off on his own again soon.

Gabrielle playfully patted Xena's leg as she smiled at her. Xena once again rolled her eyes.

GABRIELLE
(Whisper/ Joking) And you know if you keep doing that your eyes are gonna get stuck that way.

Xena had to mentally fight to keep herself from rolling her eyes at Gabrielle's comment and instead just sighed. Which got a small chuckle from Gabrielle.

JOXER 
Well who was it?

XENA
Gabrielle why don't you take this part.

Gabrielle smiled.

GABRIELLE 
Fine. Let's see Xena and I were standing in the cave looking at the strange wall paintings.

Gabrielle looked at the wall as she made sure that she was right about who she thought was after them.

XENA 
So how do you think you know who's after us?

GABRIELLE 
Based off of these pictures and from the stories I've heard I can't think of anything else it could be. Plus when our pursuer said something about them escaping from 
Tartarus, this all makes sense now.

XENA 
Well who is it then?

Gabrielle turned towards Xena.

GABRIELLE 
It's Typhon.

XENA 
Typhon?

JOXER 
Typhon?

Joxer looked at Gabrielle from across the campfire.

GABRIELLE 
That's right.

JOXER 
Oh come on Typhon's not real. It's some made up story parents tell their kids to scare them.

XENA
Oh he's real Joxer. Trust me.

JOXER 
(Joking/ Condescending tone) Okay sure Xena, whatever you say.

Xena made an irritated grumble, as Gabrielle quickly chimed in for Joxers own well being.

GABRIELLE 
As I was saying, I had just discovered that the thing after us was non other than Typhon.

Xena looked at Gabrielle as the two stood in the cave.

XENA 
So who exactly is Typhon?

GABRIELLE 
Well he's also known as the father of monsters. But the story goes that Typhon was the child of Hara and Chronos and is considered the most powerful and deadliest of all creatures. It's said that his appearance is usually accompanied by a devastating storm. But no one really knows exactly what he looks like so it's hard to describe him accurately. 

Xena sighed as she crossed her arms.

XENA 
Let me guess anyone who does see him doesn't live long enough to tell the tale.

GABRIELLE 
So I've heard. Though there are rumors about his appearance. Some say he has a giant snake with a human-like upper half. While others will tell you that instead of one head he has a hundred dragon heads. 

XENA 
Well we know that much isn't true if it really is Typhon out there. Do you know anything else about him?

Gabrielle looked back at the wall paintings as she searched her memories for the rest of what she had heard.

GABRIELLE 
Okay according to this Typhon once attempted to overthrow Zeus for the supremacy of the cosmos. The two fought in a cataclysmic battle, which Zeus finally won with the aid of his lightning bolts. 

XENA 
That god and his lightning. Anything else?

GABRIELLE 
Only that once he was defeated, Typhon was cast into Tartarus and that's where he's supposed to have been imprisoned ever since.

Xena looked at the paintings.

XENA 
If what you said is true, then Typhon has some how escaped from Tartarus. But now the question is how? And why's he living in this forest?

GABRIELLE 
And why is this painting here?

XENA 
Just when we figure out one thing, we get a bunch more questions.

Xena turned and began walking back towards the cave entrance.

XENA 
Come on.

Gabrielle followed.

GABRIELLE 
Where are we going?

XENA 
I'm done running. Now that I think I know who we're dealing with here, it's time to give that sadistic bastard a one way trip back to Tartarus.

Xena and Gabrielle made their way back out of the cave.

GABRIELLE 
Why couldn't we just wait out the rest of the night in the cave?

XENA 
You don't really believe that if we make it until dawn Typhon is actually gonna let us go do you?

GABRIELLE 
Fair point.

?
Ah you really are a smart one aren't you?

Xena hastily put Gabrielle behind her as she drew her sword. She looked around as she handed Gabrielle the torch.

XENA 
Okay enough of this. We know who you are, so why don't you just show yourself already.

?
Ah yes that painting. The work of one of my previous victims. Apparently it's supposed to serve as some kind of warning. But I suppose it doesn't really matter if you know who I am or not. I won't affect the outcome of this game either way.

Xena and Gabrielle watched as a large serpent like creature with arms and wings came into the light from the torch.

XENA 
Typhon I presume.

The creature chuckled as it rose up and looked down at them.

TYPHON 
That's right. Now shall we resume our little game?

Xena scowled at Typhon.

XENA 
I think it's time to send you back to Tartarus.

Typhon laughed.

TYPHON 
You're more than welcome to try. You wouldn't be the first. And you certainly won't be the last.

XENA 
Oh I'll be the last.

Xena rushed towards Typhon as she swung her sword. Typhon swiped at her,  but Xena blocked. He tried to grab her, Xena quickly moved out of his reach. Or at least that's what she thought until the tail end of Typhon's snake body whipped around and smacked into her. Xena flew through the air and landed on the ground a few feet away.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle ran at Typhon holding her staff ready. The creature raised his arm and swatted Gabrielle away. His claws ripping open her flesh as she too was launched through the air and hit a tree before landing on the ground.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Xena angerly yelled as she got up and charged back in at Typhon. As she ran the creature swung his claws at her. Xena held up her sword and blocked his strike just in time. She pushed his hand back and swung her blade cutting Typhon's chest. He let out an angry roar as he began to rapidly swipe at Xena. She blocked all of his shots gradually stepping back as Typhon advanced towards her. But she was holding her own against the monster. That is until out of nowhere, using his tail again, Typhon hit Xena unexpectedly. She was knocked to the ground. Xena was getting back up when she felt something wrap around her waist. She looked down and saw Typhon's tail snaking around her. Xena quickly reached down to pry Typhon off of her, but as she did her arms were then wrapped up and trapped. Typhon laughed as he lifted a captured Xena into the air and began to constrict around her body. Squeezing her tightly. Xena yelled in pain as she felt herself being Squeezed. But she was unable to do anything. Typhon laughed as he continued to squeeze.

TYPHON 
Too bad, it looks like this is where you lose.

×××

Xena yelled out, feeling herself being crushed in Typhon's grip. The creature laughed as he squeezed tighter and tighter around Xena. She dropped her sword as she continued to struggle for freedom. It was becoming increasingly difficult for Xena to breathe as she felt as though her very life was being wrung out of her. She slowly stopped flailing her legs as her strength gradually left her. At that point all Xena could do was yell, which was just on instinct. But that too was soon no longer an option when Xena was wrapped so tightly she had to fight just to breathe. Typhon stared down at Xena, enjoying the suffering that he was inflicting. He continued to laugh and squeeze. Xena's eyes felt heavy as her consciousness began to slip away. Her body went completely limp as Xena's vision went black when her eyes closed. Moments later Typhon roared as he looked behind him after feeling a sharp pain. Gabrielle yelled as she yanked Xena's sword out of the mid section of Typhon's snake half, only to quickly drive the blade back into his flesh again. Making the creature roar once more after dropping Xena from his grasp. A stream of blood spilled from the multiple stab wounds as Gabrielle again plugged Xena's sword into Typhon. She yanked it out and was ready to drive it back in when Typhon swung his arm back and knocked Gabrielle away. He looked at both Xena and Gabrielle on the ground. His focus shifted to Gabrielle, furious that she had wounded him. He went to slither towards her, but stopped when he felt the pain from the multitude injuries he had received. Typhon angerly growled.

TYPHON 
I'll be back for you later.

He spread out his massive wings and took off into the sky. Gabrielle looked up and watched him disappear into the night. Gabrielle's focused quickly shifted to Xena who was laying on the ground as she rushed to her side.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

Gabrielle knelt down beside her. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena can you hear me?

Xena groaned as she opened her eyes and saw Gabrielle looking down at her.

XENA 
I feel like I just got run over by a stampeding army.

GABRIELLE 
Can't you move?

XENA 
Think so.

Gabrielle carefully helped Xena sit up.

XENA 
Where's Typhon?

GABRIELLE 
He flew off after I stabbed him a couple of times.

Xena looked at the blood soaked sword on the ground next to them.

XENA 
Nice work.

Xena winced as tried to stand. But just moving one of her arms sent pain shooting through her body. Xena collapsed as she tried to put a little pressure on her arm to get up.

GABRIELLE 
Xena.

XENA 
I'm alright.

She groaned as she got up to her knees without using her arms. Xena winced as she lifted her arm slightly and put it back down.

XENA 
Nothings broken. But I think I have a couple fractures.

Xena picked up her sword with her good arm and stuck the blade in the ground as she used it help her stand. Once she was up, Xena returned her sword to it's sheath. Gabrielle stood up as she looked up at where Typhon had flown off.

GABRIELLE 
So what now?

XENA 
We keep going until he comes back for round two.

GABRIELLE 
And what then? You're already hurt.

XENA 
Yeah but so is he. Plus luckily it's not my sword arm that's injured. I'm a little sore but it's nothing I'm not used to.

Xena rotated her shoulders trying to relieve some of the minor pain that still lingered from nearly being crushed to death.

GABRIELLE 
You're way to casual about this sort of thing.

XENA 
Comes with the territory.

Xena and Gabrielle walked off continuing through the forest. Eventually they found a small waterfall that had an opening behind it. They walked along the small ledge by the rocks and went inside to try to regroup before their next encounter with Typhon. Which they were certain would be inevitable before the nights end. Once inside they sat on the cave floor. It wasn't nearly as dark as the last cave due to the moonlight that reflected off of the waters surface, illuminating the cave in a soft glow. So they didn't have any problems seeing. Though the cool night air combined with the dampness of the caves interior made the air fairly cold inside. Gabrielle shivered a little as they found a spot to sit for a bit.

GABRIELLE 
Hey can we get a fire going? It's kinda cold in here.

Xena leaned up against the cave wall.

XENA 
That's probably not a good idea. We don't need Typhon seeing the light.

GABRIELLE 
Good point.

Gabrielle tried to fight off another shiver but failed.

XENA 
Come over here.

Xena patted the ground next to her. Gabrielle scooted over next to Xena. Xena then put her arms around Gabrielle and held her close as they sat there.

XENA 
This should help a little.

GABRIELLE 
It does.

Gabrielle layed her head on Xena's shoulder as they quietly sat there for a bit. Xena kept watch on the cave entrance for any sign of their predator.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

XENA 
Hmm?

GABRIELLE 
What are we gonna do when Typhon does come back after us?

XENA 
I don't know. He s alot stronger than I thought he'd be. But we do know that we can hurt him. And that's something. Though now I'm sure Typhon will be more dangerous because of that.

GABRIELLE 
Because he'll be mad and want vengeance on us for injuring him.

XENA 
Exactly. 

GABRIELLE 
Maybe we can use that anger against him.

XENA 
No, no he's too smart for that. 

Xena paused as she thought of something.

XENA 
But I think you're on the right track here.

Gabrielle looked up at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
What do you mean?

XENA 
I think we can use another major flaw of Typhon's to beat him.

GABRIELLE 
You lost me.

XENA 
The game.

GABRIELLE 
What?

XENA 
Typhon clearly wants to use this as his own personal entertainment. So I say we give him exactly what he wants and make things more interesting for him.

Gabrielle pulled out of Xena's arms and looked at her wondering what she was up to. Xena thought for a moment, then Gabrielle had to ask her what she was thinking about.

GABRIELLE 
I'm listening.

XENA 
I'm gonna make a bet with that monster. One that I know he won't turn down.

×××

Xena and Gabrielle sat in the cave that they had taken shelter in to try and avoid being found by Typhon again. Gabrielle looked at Xena wondering what she meant by what she just said..

GABRIELLE 
You're gonna make a bet?

XENA 
Yes

GABRIELLE 
With Typhon?

XENA 
Who else would I be talking about?

GABRIELLE 
What would possibly make you think that he'll even consider the idea?

XENA 
Oh I have a feeling.

Gabrielle looked at Xena with a blank expression on her face.

GABRIELLE 
A feeling?

Gabrielle sighed. Contemplating for a moment the possibly that Xena might have gotten hit in the head and wasn't thinking straight. But realized that it was just typical xena and that she must've had a plan of some sort in mind.

GABRIELLE 
Okay what's the bet?

XENA 
Simple. If I can beat him into submission, then we get to go free.

GABRIELLE 
And?

XENA 
Nothing, that's it.

After hearing Xena's plan Gabrielle was now convinced that Typhon had knocked Xena senseless.

GABRIELLE 
You can't be serious. We just barely made it out of the last encounter. And not to mention the fact that you're injured now. I get that you're capable of holding your own in a fight, but this is different Xena. That thing after us is a monster in every sense of the word. You don't honestly expect to win in a fare fight.

XENA 
Calm down. Everything's gonna be fine. I might be hurt but I'm still perfectly capable of taking down that over grown garder snake. Besides I never said anything about it being a fair fight.

Xena looked at Gabrielle as she raised an eyebrow driving home the point that she knew what she was doing. Gabrielle breathed a sigh of relief. Realizing that she should've known that Xena would have something up her metaphorical sleeve.

GABRIELLE 
Okay Xena, I trust you.

Xena smiled. Then signed slightly as she stood up. She moved her body around as she tried to relieve some of the pain that Typhon had caused her body. After using a pressure point on her injured arm to dull the pain. She moved it around making sure that she could still actually use it. After clenching her hand into a fist a couple times, Xena determined that she'd be able to still use that arm if she needed to. It still hurt but it was far more bearable now.

XENA 
That should take care of that for a while.

Next Xena told Gabrielle to stay put as she went to the cave entrance and peeked out as she hugged the wall and hid in the shadows. After seeing no signs of Typhon around, Xena glanced up at the sky. Calculating how much more time they had before the sun came up.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Damn still have at least a few hours. Looks like we're sticking with this plan.

Xena cautiously but quickly left the cave and gathered an armful of decent sized branches and slipped back into the cave and stood near the entrance. 

XENA 
Okay the coast is clear. Let's go.

Xena nodded towards the entrance. Gabrielle stood up and walked over. Looking at what Xena had gathered.

GABRIELLE 
What's that for.

XENA 
Making sure that Typhon knows just where to find us. Come on help me set these up.

Gabrielle followed Xena outside. She planted a number of the branches in the ground so they would stand up where Xena instructed her to place them. Xena did the rest and then they finish settling up the rest of Xena's plan. Once they were done Xena told Gabrielle to go and hide near the cave entrance and to wait for her signal. Gabrielle left Xena's side and went to her designated spot. Once Gabrielle was in place, Xena took a torch and began lighting each of the branches on fire. Soon Xena stood in the middle of a ring of fire. She held her sword as she looked up, waiting for her opponent to arrive.

XENA 
Okay Typhon time to come out and play.

Xena didn't have to stand around waiting for long. She watched as a large shadow came into view over head.

XENA 
There you are.

As the shadow got closer to the ground the light from the flames chased away the shadow and Typhon came into clear view. He landed inside the circle that Xena and Gabrielle had created.

TYPHON 
What's all this now?

XENA 
I just wanted to make it easier for you to find me. Since you seem to having a difficult time keeping track of your supposed prey.

TYPHON 
I see. So I take it that you forfeit and want me to grant you a quick death.

Typhon sighed as he sounded slightly disappointed.

TYPHON 
I have to admit I'm a little sad that my game is going to end in such an anticlimactic way.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
Oh this isn't a surrender. It's an offering.

TYPHON 
An offering you say? What could you possibly have to offer me. Other than your life.

Xena drew her sword and rested it confidently on her shoulder.

XENA 
How 'bout making this game a little more interesting.

Typhon looked down at Xena as he lowered himself down to eye level with her. Intrigued by the thought.

TYPHON 
Hmm you have my attention.

XENA 
I had a feeling you'd like that.

TYPHON 
So tell me, just how do you plan on improving on the fun I'm already having.

XENA 
A challenge to see just how long it'll take for me to beat you.

TYPHON
You mean a race against time to see how long you can survive against me.

Xena gave Typhon a serious look.

XENA 
No.

Typhon made an irritated growl at Xena's confidence.

TYPHON 
Fine I'll play along. After all I still have the other one I can entertain myself with once I'm done with you.

Typhon rose up and stared down at Xena.

TYPHON 
Just remember you asked for this. So I hope you're ready.

Xena glared up at the monster that towered over her.

XENA 
That depends, are you?

×××

Gabrielle watched from a safe distance as Xena stood face to face with Typhon. The monster readied it's claws as he stalked Xena. 

XENA 
So do you wanna make the first move or should I?

TYPHON 
(Condescending tone) Ladies first.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) Now aren't you a gentleman.

Xena took the opportunity and ran in towards Typhon. The monster swiped at her. Xena rolled to the side and swiftly swung her sword, cutting Typhon's side. He roared as he held the wound for a moment, then looked at the blood that now coated his hand because of it. He growled as he swung at her again and missed. Then Typhon quickly followed up with another. Xena blocked with her sword.

XENA 
What's the matter can't hit me without a cheap shot?

Xena pushed his hand back. Typhon swung again. This time Xena moved to the side and stabbed her blade into Typhon's arm. He roared as he threw Xena off of him. She quickly recovered and stood ready to continue. Typhon looked at new wound. He snarled as he looked at Xena.

XENA 
Consider that payback for my arm.

 If there was any question Typhon was furious before. All doubt went out this window when he let out what sound like the snarle of a rabid animal. He stared at Xena with a burning anger in his eyes.

XENA 
What's wrong is this not fun for you anymore?

TYPHON 
Oh I'll have my fun soon enough. When I'm wringing the life out of you, crushing every bone in your body.

XENA 
Because you did such a good job with that last time.

Typhon's only response was another rage fueled roar as began rapidly swinging at Xena. Xena easily dodged each attack easily. Typhon's anger was causing him to lose focus, making his attacks predictable. Xena allowed him to get close as she backed towards the circles perimeter. She deflected his strikes. Each failed attack added more fuel to Typhon's rage.

TYPHON 
Damn you! Just die!

Typhon threw a powerful swing. Xena tried to dodge but couldn't move in time and was knocked back, landing on the ground. Gabrielle, who was still watching the battle from where Xena had told her to wait, saw that it looked like Xena was in trouble. And began running towards her.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Xena lifted her head and saw Typhon coming right at her. He raised his claws and began swinging down right for her. Quickly realizing her surroundings, Xena reached over, grabbed a torch that she had planted in the ground and yelled as she thrust it forward. Sending the flame into Typhon's chest. The monster roared in pain as he backed away, holding his chest. Gabrielle stopped as she saw Xena stand back up. Typhon charged back in at Xena, who ducked then used the torch again to burn his arm. Letting out another painful noise, Typhon tried to knock Xena away. But was burned again for his efforts. In a rage he flapped his wings, sending a strong gust of wind at Xena as he began to fly off.

XENA 
Oh no you don't. We're not done here.

Xena grabbed her sword and drove it straight through the end of Typhon's tail and leand down on it, there pinning him to the ground. Typhon roared as he looked down, seeing his tail trapped. Xena looked at him.

XENA 
Now who's the one trying to run for their lives from a game..

GABRIELLE 
(Talking to herself) She's got 'em now.

Typhon looked over at Gabrielle.

TYPHON
Is that what you think?

The creature hung in the air as his once golden eyes turned pinch black. Xena pulled her sword out and backed up as darkness began to rise from his body. Gabrielle ran up Xena.

GABRIELLE 
What's going on?

XENA 
I don't know. Stay back.

Xena held her uninjured arm protectively in front of Gabrielle as they both backed away from Typhon. Watching as the darkness began to swirl around him. More and more poured out and soon all Xena and Gabrielle could see was a large vortex of black. They could hear Typhon roaring from within the darkness. His voice gradually becoming deeper and more aggressive as he began laughing from inside. Xena might not have been able to see what was happening, she had a feeling that both Gabrielle and herself were about to be in very serious danger. As the same feeling that she felt before they had encountered Typhon came back. But now it was far worse.

XENA 
Gabrielle run.

GABRIELLE 
What?! No. I'm not just leaving you Xena.

XENA 
Don't argue with me about this! You need to get out of here before it's too late.

GABRIELLE 
And what about you?

XENA 
I'm gonna see what I can do to buy you time to get out of here.

Gabrielle shook her head realizing what Xena was planning.

GABRIELLE
Xena no. 

Xena reached out and held Gabrielle's hand in hers.

XENA 
Everything will be okay. I won't let anything happen to you. I love you Gabrielle.

Xena lightly squeezed Gabrielle's hand before letting go as she turned her attention back to the vortex and Typhon.

XENA 
Now go.

Gabrielle stood there and refused to leave.

GABRIELLE 
No I won't let you sacrifice yourself for me.

Xena was about to protest Gabrielle's stubbornness when the dark vortex exploded upwards in the same colored light. Piercing the night sky. Slowly the light faded, leaving Xena and Gabrielle standing there in front of something truly terrifying as they watched what they assumed was Typhon slowly decended back down. Landing only feet away from them. He stood up straight as he towered over Xena and Gabrielle still. But now his appearance was fairly different. His lower snake half was gone. Now Typhon stood on two tree trunk like legs with clawed feet. His head had sprouted a pair of giant horns. He had bulked up significantly. His already large wingspan had only gotten bigger. In total he may have gotten smaller without the length of the snake portion of his body. But he still stood fairly tall as he looked down at Xena and Gabrielle. Typhon huffed as she stretched out a bit, settling into his new form. Gabrielle and Xena looked at the new version of the monster that had turned this night into a living nightmare.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Gods.

Xena didn't take her eyes off Typhon as she took Gabrielle by the arm and began backing away.

XENA 
We need to go, now. 

Xena and Gabrielle turned and began running. But their path was blocked when Typhon jumped and landed in their way.

TYPHON 
Hey now what happened to that little challenge we had?

XENA 
Sorry but it's just been called off due to unforseen circumstances.

Xena quickly grabbed a fistful of dirt and threw it in Typhon's face. Blinding him temporarily. Then she and Gabrielle took off running out of the clearing and back into the cover of the trees and kept going. Typhon roared as he felt the stinging in his eyes. After a few moments his vision cleared and he growled as flapped his wings and rose slightly off the ground. He looked at the ground and saw footprints in the dirt that headed into the thickness of the trees. Once he locked on to his targets direction, the more deadly Typhon weaved between the trees as he flew straight towards the fleeing Xena and Gabrielle. Typhon had now decided that the game that he had been playing was no longer important. Now his sole priority was to kill them. With daybreak quickly approaching the stage was set for the for what would soon be the final showdown.

×××

Fallen leafs crunched and twigs snapped under foot as Xena and Gabrielle ran through the forest from Typhon who flapped his massive wings as he flew weaving between the trees in hot pursuit of the pair. As they ran Gabrielle looked back, seeing Typhon closing in.

GABRIELLE 
He's gonna catch us Xena!

Xena looked around for anything that could help them escape. She spotted something that might help put a little more distance between them and Typhon.

XENA 
This way.

Gabrielle followed Xena as they both raced up a small hill. Once they reached the top they quickly stopped as they saw a gap between them and their chance of escape. With no time to find a way around, Xena quickly looked back to see Typhon continuing to get closer.

XENA 
we need to jump.

Xena backed up a bit, got a running start and lept over the gap. Landing safely on the other side. She turned around and waited for Gabrielle.

XENA 
Okay come on.

Gabrielle did the same as Xena as she backed up a bit to get a running start. Once she thought she was far enough back, Gabrielle ran as fast as could and jumped. Unfortunately she wasn't able to cover the same distance and came up short on her jump. As she missed her landing Gabrielle just managed to grab on to the ledge. Xena quickly reached down to pull her up. But as Gabrielle let go with one hand to reach for Xena, the dirt on the ledge that she was holding gave way. Before Xena could catch her, Gabrielle fell down the embankment.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Gabrielle landed on the ground below. She quickly looked up when she heard Typhon roar. Her eyes went wide as she saw Typhon jump down and begin coming straight at her. She got up and continued running along the embankment. Xena followed up on the other side. Keeping a close eye on Gabrielle. As she ran Xena took out her chakrum and threw it at Typhon, trying to shift his attention to her. It hit and cut his arm. Typhon didn't stop as he looked at his arm. He flew up and got behind Xena. Right as he did, Xena jumped, slid down the side of the embankment and kept going as she caught up with Gabrielle.

TYPHON 
(Growling) You think you're real clever.

Typhon flew back down and followed Xena and Gabrielle as they ran through the long trench. The monster was relentless in his pursuit.as he chased after them. After a long stretch the trench opened up. Although that fact didn't help Xena and Gabrielle when they ran into a dead end.

GABRIELLE 
No now what?

Xena looked behind them seeing Typhon still on their heels. She looked in front of them looking for a way out. It took a moment bet she found one.

XENA 
This way.

Xena ran over to the side and held on to a large tree root that was coming down from a tree that sat in the ground above. Gabrielle followed. As Gabrielle ran Xena saw Typhon right behind her.

XENA 
Look out!

Gabrielle looked back seeing Typhon practically on top of her.

XENA 
Duck now!

Gabrielle did just that as Xena threw her chakrum at Typhon again. This time he slowed down moved out of the way. Allowing Gabrielle to make it to where Xena stood.

XENA 
Climb.

Xena and Gabrielle hastily scaled the big root up out of the ditch. They just managed to slip through the arch of the root to the upper level of ground when Typhon reached through and grabbed Xena's leg, pulling her to the ground.

TYPHON 
Your mine now.

 Gabrielle saw Xena fall and looked back seeing that Typhon had a hold of her.

GABRIELLE 
Let her go!

Gabrielle rushed over and using her staff, cracked him hard in the side his head. Leaving him stunned for a second, Typhon released Xena as he shook off the pain. Xena got back up as she and Gabrielle went back to running. After a moment Typhon shook out the mental cobwebs that the hit caused and followed. As the pursuit went on Gabrielle and Xena stopped dead in their tracks as they encountered yet another obstacle in standing their way. This time in the form of another ledge. But this one didn't have anything across from it. Instead it just had a very steep hill that went nearly straight down. And this went much further down then the previous one. But without any other options they had no choice but to try and climb down. As they were about to start making their desent Typhon again caught up with them. He changed right at them. Xena quickly put herself in front of Gabrielle as she drew her sword. Typhon came in swinging. Knocking into Xena, who was sent back. She crashed into Gabrielle and the two went over the side of the ledge and were sent head over heels down the rocky incline to the ground below. After landing hard, Xena slowly looked up. Blood began running down the side of her face from her hitting her head on the way down. 

XENA 
Gabrielle.

Xena looked next to her seeing Gabrielle slowly start to move. The two made it to their feet. Both bleeding from getting scrapped up during the fall. Hearing Typhon's roar, Xena and Gabrielle looked up. There they saw the monster standing on top of the ledge looking down at them.

TYPHON 
It looks like this is the end of the line.

Xena looked around and realized that they were now surrounded by cliffs. All of them too steep to climb fast enough for them to escape. With Typhon bearing down on them, It seemed that Xena and Gabrielle finally had no place left to run. 

×××

The towering shadow of Typhon crept up over Xena and Gabrielle as the monster stalked closer. The two backed away with each step that Typhon took towards them. Xena and Gabrielle looked for any method of escape but found themselves completely boxed in. Xena grimaced as the pain in her injured arm returned. Typhon looked between them as he made an evil smile.

TYPHON 
Now which one is going to be first... you.

His gaze finally settled on Gabrielle. As his head still hurt from her nailing him good with her staff. And since he saw her as less of a threat than Xena, Typhon found the fact that she had managed to actually hurt him insulting. And that infuriated him more than anything. Gabrielle backed up quicker, until her back touched the cliff side. Xena stood in front of her, still trying to find a way out.

TYPHON 
Looks like I win after all.

There truly seemed to be no way to escape for them until Xena felt something behind her. She sneakily moved her foot back and felt around a little. Xena thought she had found something but she needed to be sure.

XENA 
It looks like it's over Gabrielle. There's nothing else we can do here.

Xena slowly slumped down against the cliff side. Gabrielle looked at Xena surprised by her uncharacteristically defeated attitude.

GABRIELLE 
Xena?

Xena sat with her back facing the cliff as she lowered her head.

XENA 
We can't win this way. He's just too powerful.

Typhon laughed.

TYPHON
It's nice to see you finally admitting defeat.

Meanwhile Xena leaned her head back and looked up while she sighed. Once she had finished her secret investigation Xena smiled at Typhon.

XENA 
Who said anything about admitting defeat?

TYPHON 
What are you going on about? You just said that it was over.

XENA 
Yeah, for you.

Xena grabbed her chakrum and hurled in upwards. Typhon's eyes followed the weapon as it struck some loosened rocks overhead and caused them to fail. The monster quickly covered his head as they came down on him. Meanwhile Xena caught her chakrum as it came back and pulled Gabrielle down to the ground.

XENA 
Hurry Gabrielle move.

Xena moved and pulled back some vines revealing a small opening in the side of the cliff. Gabrielle wasted no time crawled through. Xena followed right behind. Once through the small opening Xena and Gabrielle found themselves in a large cave that had a mess of tangled vines running all through it. There was a dim light coming from the other end. Suddenly there was a loud thump on the wall behind them. Then another as bits of rubble began the fall from the cliff side. The pounding continued as more rubble fell and cracks began to form. Xena knew it must've been Typhon trying to smash his way in. And it appeared to be working. It wouldn't take long for the monster to break through.

XENA 
Go now.

Xena and Gabrielle begin hastily fighting their way through the sea of vines. Scratching, clawling and crawing as fast as they could towards freedom. They were a good way in when there was a loud crash behind them. Looking back Xena saw that Typhon had finally broken through. She turned her attention forward again and began moving faster.

XENA 
Go Gabrielle. Hurry.

Typhon began running after them. The vines giving way and he forced his way through. Xena and Gabrielle heard his thumping footsteps following them as they scrambled for the exit. Moving as fast as they could the opening came closer. Finally they made it out the other side of the vines, stood up and ran towards the exit. Once back outside they were forced to stop when they found themselves standing on the ledge of a cliff. Xena looked back and saw that there was nowhere to go that way. There was also nothing on either side. Xena saw that climbing up wasn't an option. They would only corner themselves at the top. The only option left was down. Xena looked back seeing Typhon closing in and realized that they wasn't any time left to think.

XENA 
We have to climb down.

Gabrielle began easing herself down. Xena was about to do the same when Typhon erupted from the cave covered in vines. He changed right at Xena, grabbing her as he lept right off the cliff. He began to take flight as he held Xena in his clutches.

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

TYPHON 
I wounder how big of a bloody smear you'll make on the ground when I drop you from way up h- (gagging sound)

Typhon stopped talking mid threat as he felt something cut off his supply of oxygen. He was violently jerked back as his flight was abruptly stopped without warning. Stunned, he fell back and swung into the side of the cliff below. All this made him let go of Xena, who began to fail but was quickly able to grab onto Typhon's leg before she dropped any further. Xena looked up as Typhon flailed. That was when she saw what had happened. There was a bunch of vines tightly wrapped around Typhon's neck. Apparently Typhon had been so focused on killing Xena that he hadn't noticed them. The vines must've been tightly secured to something on the other end to hold on the way they did. And they had become so tangled together that they were able to support his massive weight as he hung there. Xena felt him try to fly up. She climbed up Typhon's body, grabbed her sword and drove it through his wing, pinning him to the side of the cliff. She was sure to put it out of his reach. She moved to the side and waited for the struggle to stop. Slowly it did and soon Typhon's lifeless body hung there on the cliff side. She looked over seeing Gabrielle looking down at her as she held on to the rocks.

GABRIELLE 
Are you okay?

XENA 
Yeah. Though I think getting back up is gonna be a real pain.

Xena winced as her arm hurt.

XENA 
Literally.

Gabrielle looked at Typhon as he hung there.

GABRIELLE 
Is it over?

Xena looked at Typhon, seeing no movement. His body limp. As eyes stared, unblinking. His mouth hung open. His face frozen with the expression of pure panic. Xena looked back up.

XENA 
It's over.

Gabrielle breathed a sigh of relief and exhaustion.

GABRIELLE 
Finally I thought it would never end.

Gabrielle climbed back up to tunnel opening. While Xena retrieved her sword and cut lose a couple vines from the tangled mess that held Typhon. Then Gabrielle pulled Xena up, since Xena's arm made her unable to climb herself. Once they were both on solid ground, they sat down. Finally able to take a much needed rest. As they sat there Xena looked out at the scenery and smiled.

XENA 
Hey would you look at that, I guess we won. 

Gabrielle looked up to see what Xena was talking about and smiled too when she saw the sun peeking up over the horizon. She leaned her head on Xena's shoulder, staring out at the multi colored sky.

GABRIELLE 
You know I don't think think I've seen a more beautiful sunrise in my whole life.

Xena chuckled a bit.

XENA 
I think you might be right there.

GABRIELLE 
And so goes the tale of the end of Typhon, the father of monsters.

XENA 
(Sarcasm) And the world's worst inventor of an idea for a game night.

Xena added from her spot around the campfire. Gabrielle laughed a little as Joxer sat there quietly. He looked at Gabrielle with a nervous expression on his face.

JOXER 
(Nervously) So uh you guys are sure that Typhon's gone now right? Not, not that I'm scared or anything.

A devilish smile appeared on Xena's face as she turned to Joxer.

XENA 
Well I didn't check his pulse or anything. So I guess it's possible that once we left Typhon got free and still roams around looking for us. Or anyone really to play his little game.

Joxer swallowed hard as he got more nervous.

XENA 
Huh now that I think of it, Gabrielle isn't this the same woods that we faced Typhon in?

Gabrielle fought for a moment to keep a straight face.

GABRIELLE 
You know now that you mention it I'm pretty sure it is.

Joxer quickly stood up.

JOXER 
(Lying) Oh I uh just remembered I have some very important business to take care of in the next town. I should really get going. See you guys later.

Joxer left as he hastily walked away. Once he was gone, unable to hold it in any longer, Xena and Gabrielle burst out laughing. Gabrielle laughed so hard she fell back off the log she was sitting on. After a couple moments the two calmed down. Gabrielle looked up at Xena.

GABRIELLE 
Hey you think we should go get him before he gets himself lost?

XENA 
Neh I'm sure Joxer will figure out that we were just messing with him and come back.

Xena gave Gabrielle a sultry look.

XENA 
Besides since he's been with us we haven't had the opportunity to have our alone time.

Gabrielle smirked. 

GABRIELLE 
Mmm I do enjoy our alone time.

Xena chuckled as she slipped back off the log and layed next to Gabrielle. The two giggled like teenagers and they kissed. Things were just heating up when Xena pulled away and looked up.

XENA 
You hear that?

GABRIELLE
Nice try Xena. But I'm not quite as gullible as Joxer.

Gabrielle went back to kissing Xena but stopped after a moment when she heard something coming from the trees behind them. Hoping that she was pulling some kind of prank, Gabrielle gave Xena a serious look.

GABRIELLE 
Uh Xena you're not trying to scare me are you?

XENA
Gabrielle how could I be making that noise when I'm right here?

Hearing the sound again, Gabrielle got up.

GABRIELLE 
(Lying) We really should help Joxer find his way out of here. 

Xena got up too.

XENA
We are friends after all.

Xena and Gabrielle quickly picked up camp and headed in the same direction Joxer had gone.

GABRIELLE 
You did actually kill Typhon right Xena? 

Before Xena could answer there was a low growl that came from behind them. Both Xena and Gabrielle picked up the pace and hurried off. Leaving the source of the sound and the forest behind with a pair of eyes secretly watching as they left, before disappearing into the darkness of night.

THE END (...or is it?)

EMAIL:
TGIRL159TGirl159@gmail.com 

Author's Page

Back to the Academy