×××

Following the horrible news that they had received from Aphrodite's phone call, Xena and Gabrielle began to rush outside when Ares walked into the hallway of the police precinct.

ARES 
Where are you going?

Xena turned to Ares with a worried expression on her face.

XENA 
Aphrodite just called. Alti's got Luka.

ARES 
What is her obsession with that kid?

XENA 
Don't know and honestly i don't care. But I'm going after her.

Ares walked over to them.

ARES 
Here I'll take you both home. It's a lot quicker this way. I'll get your cars later.

Ares put a hand on Xena and Gabrielle's shoulders and then popped the three of them to Xena and Gabrielle's apartment. Once there they all looked at the trashed living room and saw Aphrodite sitting sadly on the couch. Aphrodite looked up when she saw the quick flash of light and saw that Xena,Gabrielle and Ares had appeared. She immediately got up and hurried over to Xena and Gabrielle.

APHRODITE 
I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. I...

Gabrielle hugged Aphrodite.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay. It's not your fault. We know that you would never just let something like this happen.

XENA 
Gabrielle's right Aphrodite. We don't blame you for this at all. This is all on Alti.

Xena put her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder and looked at her, knowing that she also blamed herself for Luka's kidnapping.

XENA 
You hear me. This is strictly Alti's doing. She's the only person to blame here.

Gabrielle put her hand on Xena's as she looked back at her sadly.

XENA 
We'll get him back. I'll make sure of it.

Gabrielle slowly nodded slightly. Ares who had been standing there quietly cleared his throat to get the three women's attention as he learned his arm against the wall he was next to and spoke up.

ARES 
Okay now that we're all in agreement on who the villan is here, how do we actually go about finding Alti?

Xena, Gabrielle and Aphrodite turned their attention to Ares and the pressing matter at hand.

XENA 
Good question.

Xena thought for a moment.

XENA 
Giving the fact that she obviously needs to preform some kind of ritual before actually making the sacrifices, we should still have time to stop her. Aphrodite how long ago did she take Luka?

APHRODITE 
I called you as soon as Alti left with him.

XENA 
Okay so let's just say it's been about ten minutes. Probably less, but just to be safe let's go with that. So there's a good chance that she hasn't gotten the chance to do anything yet. 

GABRIELLE 
Still we need to act fast Xena. If you're right I doubt it'll take Alti long to set up. And we still don't know where she took Luka.

APHRODITE 
Do you think she took him to where she was keeping Xena.

XENA 
No Alti's too smart for that. There's no way she'd go back somewhere that she figures we'd check.

APHRODITE 
So where would she go?

ARES 
Don't know, but we'll find out. I already alerted everyone under my command to start searching. They're combing over the whole city and the outskirts as we speak.

GABRIELLE 
When did you do that?

ARES 
Hey I wasn't just standing here twittling my thumbs while the three of you were talking. I just made a quick call and everyone should be already on the move. It might not be a litteral battlefield anymore, but I still know how to get people to move when I need to.

XENA 
God of war for the win.

APHRODITE 
That's my brother for you.

GABRIELLE 
Still I don't like the idea of just standing around doing nothing right now.

XENA 
I know how you feel. But unfortunately there isn't anything else we can do until we have some kind of lead on Alti's location.

A little latter Ares phone rang. A restless Gabrielle and Xena immediately perked up at the sound. Ares answered. He spoke for a bit as Xena, Gabrielle and Aphrodite eagerly waited to see what was going on. Finally after a minute or so Ares ended the call and looked at the other three in the room.

ARES
We might have something.

Xena, Gabrielle and Aphrodite waited for what Ares had to say.

XENA 
(Impatiently) Well.

ARES 
One of my guy's may have spotted something strange near the old underground transit station that runs out of the city.

GABRIELLE 
That place is like a maze. if thats where Alti has Luka, who knows where they are down there.

XENA 
True. But it's the best we've got to go on. Plus what exactly did they mean by "strange"?

ARES 
Don't know.

XENA 
Well either way I say we go check it out.

Everyone in the group agreed. And a moment later with Ares and Aphrodite using their powers, all four of them disappeared from the living room with a flash. They all soon found themselves standing outside a small boarded up station that led to the underground thrasit that had stopped running years ago. Ares and Aphrodite made sure to have them appear behind a building so no one would just see them pop up out of nowhere. The group walked out from behind the building and the officer that called Ares saw them.

OFFICER 
I just called you, how'd you get here so fast?

ARES 
(Lying) Luckily we just happened to be nearby and ran over.

OFFICER 
Wow not out of breath or anything. You must all be in reality good shape.

Ares looked away slightly.

ARES 
(Lying) Sure.

A very worried and impatient Gabrielle injected herself into the conversation.

GABRIELLE 
Can you just show us what you found?

OFFICER 
Oh yes of course. Apologies. This way.

The officer obviously knew who Ares and Xena were since he worked with them. And Gabrielle was at the office enough with Xena so he somewhat knew her as well. Though he had never seen Aphrodite before, he didn't bother asking who she was, figuring she must've been family or a close friend if she was with them right now. He lead the four of them to a small patch of grass and pointed. As they all looked down, Gabrielle crouched low and picked something up. She looked back at Xena, showing her what she found.

GABRIELLE 
It's Luka's.

Xena immediately recognized the item in Gabrielle's hand. It was the small toy that they had given Luka to keep him busy after they found him and brought him back to Xena's office. It had become his favorite and he always kept it with him since. It was fairly old so it wasn't as if there were alot of the same thing just laying around everywhere. And after seeing it every day for months there was no denying that it did indeed belong to Luka. Xena looked at the entrance to the run down station.

XENA 
They must be down there.

Xena commended the officer for the help as she and Gabrielle quickly but carefully began venturing down the stairs and into the station. Ares also gave the officer a verbal and literal affirmative pat on the back end told him to stand guard outside. Then Ares and Aphrodite followed Xena and Gabrielle downwards. The group made their way into underground and walked slowly down the corridor. They walked for a while until they came to a point where the tunnel split in two directions.

APHRODITE 
Now what?

XENA 
We split up.

Xena nodded towards a passage.

XENA 
You two take that one and Gabrielle and myself will go this way.

Xena motioned to the other tunnel.

APHRODITE 
What if you two find Alti? You can't just take her on like this.

Aphrodite motioned at Xena and Gabrielle. Referring to the fact they were in ordinary clothes and had nothing to use to defend themselves against an attack. Ares smirked.

ARES
I think I can do something about that.

Ares focused for a moment and then snapped his fingers. There was suddenly a small trail of light that made it's way to Xena. As it touched her the clothing she was wearing began to glow. The same happened to Gabrielle. The two looked down as the light got brighter and began to change shape. Then after a moment the light burst into a million tiny particals and disappeared. Xena and Gabrielle looked themselves in a bit of shock. Then at each other and smiled. Aphrodite smiled as well.

APHRODITE 
Nice one bro. 

ARES 
I thought so.

There in the year 3257 stood Xena and Gabrielle in all their ancient hero glory. Of which they hadn't worn in thousands of years. Xena in her complete classic leather armor ensemble. Sword on her back and chakrum on her hip included. And Gabrielle had her red top and skirt along with everything else that went with the particular outfit that she had worn, including her sais

XENA 
.(Smirking) Now isn't this a blast from the past.

GABRIELLE 
No kidding.

Xena reached back and drew her sword, taking a couple practice swings. Feeling everything instantly coming back to her.

XENA 
Oh yeah that's more like it.

Xena and Gabrielle gave Ares a nod thanking him. Then they looked down the tunnel ahead of them.

XENA 
You ready Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE 
I'm right with you Xena, like always.

Ares and Aphrodite headed down one tunnel as Xena and Gabrielle ventured into the other. Xena stared ahead intensly as Gabrielle marched forward by her side towards their old enemy. To at long last put to rest this ancient evil that they thought had been extinguished all those centuries ago.

XENA 
I hope you're ready Alti. Because you're reign of terror on this city and world is finally over. We're coming for you.

×××

Quiet footsteps could be heard as Xena and Gabrielle walked through the old underground transit tunnel of the city. The pair now fully equipped with their ancient outfits and weapons thanks to a little godly magic from Ares, who was in the opposite tunnel with Aphrodite as the four searched for Alti and Luka. The tunnel was long but luckily it wasn't too dark dispite being underground. It was silent as Xena and Gabrielle came to a turn. Xena peeked around the corner and could see a light coming from underneath a door. The both of them moved to the door Xena tried to open it but found it was locked. A moment later Xena and Gabrielle heard a small voice cry out on the other side and immediately recognized it.

GABRIELLE 
Luka.

Gabrielle rammed against the door with her shoulder but had no luck opening it. Xena then gently, moved her aside and attempted to kick open the door. But it didn't budge. Xena and Gabrielle looked around them but didn't see anything to either help get it open or a way around the door to get through. Then they heard Luka cry again.

XENA 
Together.

Xena and Gabrielle took a few steps back and then they both preceded to run full force into the door with their shoulders, causing it fly open on impact. They stumbled a little inside and quickly caught their balance. They did a quick survey of where they were now. They were up on a platform overlooking a large open space below. It appeared to be an old repair station for the engines that ran through the underground transit. They heard Luka cry again and Gabrielle looked down over the scaffolding, she spotted Alti and Luka down below.

GABRIELLE 
Xena down there.

Xena quickly looked over the edge and saw the two below. She yelled as she lept over the metal bar and dropped to the ground beneath.

XENA 
Alti!

Alti turned when she heard Xena's voice and saw her land on the ground on the other side of the room. Wasting no time Xena grabbed her chakrum and hurled in at Alti.

XENA 
Get away from him!

Alti was forced to back away from Luka who she had strapped to a chair as Xena's chakrum flew her way. Gabrielle who was still above yelled down to Xena and then hopped over the railing as she dropped into Xena's waiting arms below. Xena let Gabrielle down as she caught her chakrum when it made it's way back to her. The usually quiet Luka immediately yelled out when he saw the two women dop from above.

LUKA 
Xena, Gabrielle. 

Gabrielle smiled back at the boy.

GABRIELLE 
It's okay Luka. We're here now and we're not gonna let anything happen to you.

Alti looked at Xena and Gabrielle and smiled an evil grin taking notice of their familiar attire.

ALTI 
(Condescending tone) Ah now this brings back some old memories. If it isn't Xena and Gabrielle classic.

Xena and Gabrielle didn't say anything to her as they each drew their weapons and turned their focus on Alti.

XENA 
You ready?

GABRIELLE 
I've been ready.

Alti smirked.

ALTI
I guess we're getting right to it.

Xena and Gabrielle charged for Alti. Both throwing out an attack as Xena swung her sword and Gabrielle drove her sais towards their opponent. Alti quickly vanished out of the way. Leaving Xena and Gabrielle looking around for her.

GABRIELLE 
Where is she?

XENA 
Stay ready Gabrielle. You remember how tricky Alti is.

GABRIELLE 
I know.

Like lightning Alti quickly ran up behind Gabrielle, grabbed her by the her shoulder and threw her backwards. Gabrielle tumbled back to the ground. Xena hastily swung at Alti. But her sword only met air as Alti vanished again. Uninjured Gabrielle stood. Alti then showed up behind her again but this time Gabrielle was ready as she spun around and attempted to stab Alti who faded out of reach yet again as she laughed. Xena felt a presence behind her and moved out of the way as Alti tried to land another sneak attack. She swung her blade at Alti but her arm was caught. Then with no time to react Xena felt Alti's other hand wrap around her throat and begin to squeeze. 

GABRIELLE 
Xena!

Gabrielle ran at Alti to free Xena, but was kicked in the stomach and doubled over for a moment. Then Alti brought up her knee and caught Gabrielle in the face. She fell back as she spit some blood from her mouth. But with Alti momentarily distracted she lossened her grip on Xena's neck. As that happened she felt the sharp pain of Xena's elbow connect with the the side of her head and let go. Alti backed away slightly. Xena looked back for a moment, making sure Gabrielle was okay and saw her getting back up as she wiped some blood from her mouth with the back of her hand. Then Xena's focus returned to Alti, but not in time as Alti still had her arm and flipped Xena down to her back. Alti then shot lightening from her hand down at Xena, who rolled out of the way just in time. The bolt struck the floor, scaring it with a burn mark. Xena wasted no time as she swept Alti's feet from under her. However before she hit the floor Alti vanished. Xena stood again as she and Gabrielle stood back to back ready for Alti's next move.

XENA 
Come on Alti enough of your games.

ALTI 
I don't play games Xena.

Xena looked up hearing Alti's voice coming from above. Her eyes wideed as she saw Alti now standing up on the scaffolding that she and Gabrielle had dropped down from. The metal bar was now in multiple sharp pieces as it floated around Alti.

XENA 
Gabrielle take cover.

Gabrielle looked up and saw what Xena was seeing as Alti moved her hand and sent the sharp metal rods down at Xena and Gabrielle. The two ran to take cover. But Gabrielle was hit in the leg. She yelled in pain as she fell to the ground. Xena turned to see Gabrielle on the ground just behind her. However she looked back just in time to see another rod pierce Gabrielle in the back and hear her scream.

XENA 
Gabrielle!

Xena ran over to Gabrielle and quickly helped her up to get them both to cover as another rod flew and hit Xena in the back of her shoulder. She yelled and staggered, but didn't go down as she got herself and Gabrielle behind an old transit car. Once behind cover Xena sat Gabrielle down on the floor and pulled the pieces of metal out of her. And Gabrielle got the one out of Xena's shoulder. Luckily they didn't leave too big of wounds, so hopefully they wouldn't bleed too much. However there was no time for Xena and Gabrielle to regroup when Alti appeared in front of them. She laughed menacingly as she approached the two. Xena got to her feet as Gabrielle tried to stand but couldn't on her own and pulled herself up and leaned on Xena for support. Alti stood a couple feet away.

ALTI 
Either all those sacrifices really did the trick or after all these years the two of you have lost your touch.

XENA 
Scew you.

Gabrielle just stood quietly as she glared fiercely at Alti. Xena and Gabrielle readied their weapons again to continue their fight.

ALTI 
You never did know when to quit did you?

Another metal rod rose up behind Alti. 

ALTI 
I think it's long past time to get rid of the both of you. For good!

Just as Alti finished speaking the metal rod flew right at Gabrielle. Xena knew that with her leg injured Gabrielle couldn't get out of the way and put herself in front of the projectile in an effort to protect her .Xena yelled in pain as the rod pierced through her stomach. But unfortunately Xena stepping in the line of fire wasn't enough to shield Gabrielle. The end of the metal rod passed through Xena and impaled Gabrielle right behind her as well. The two slid down the side of the transit car and slumped over. Gabrielle hung limply against Xena's back as Xena just sat there with her head hung low. Both of them eyes closed and unmoving while Alti evilly chuckled as she watched blood run down the rod and slowly drip on to the ground as the sound of a sad and terrified Luka crying could be heard in the background.

×××

Alti stood looking down at Xena and Gabrielle who sat in a crumbled heap on the ground after she impaled both of them with a metal rod. She let out a satisfied sigh as she turned and walked away back towards Luka.

ALTI 
Now that that's taken care of, let's get down to business.

Meanwhile after coming up empty on their end Ares and Aphrodite had gone back to the spot where the tunnel had split.

APHRODITE 
Do we go the way Xena and Gabby went?

ARES 
No point in just standing around here.

Ares and Aphrodite headed down to path that Xena and Gabrielle took. They walked for a bit until they reached the door that had been busted into. Aphrodite and Ares could hear Luka and Alti as they ran into the room. Alti stood right in front of Luka she picked up a dagger as she prepared to make him a sacrifice to gain more power. The boy stared up at her with a terrified look in his eyes. Being able to do nothing else he cried. Alti raised the dagger above her head ready to drive it down when a fire ball smacked into her and knocked her down. She looked up as Ares and Aphrodite materialized on the ground in front her.

ALTI 
What is this?

APHRODITE 
Going after a sweet little boy like Luka, that's like totally not cool.

ARES
Yeah even I think that's a really screwed up thing to do.

Alti scowled at the gods. 

ALTI 
I guess you're here to try and stop me.

ARES 
I mean we can't just let you go around killing people.

Alti laughed.

ALTI 
You think I'm not aware that like mine all super natural power has been diminishing slowly from the world. And that includes you're godly abilities as well.

ARES 
True but I still have enough to beat you.

Ares lit a fire ball in his hand and threw it at Alti who easily knocked it out of the way and sent it into the wall.

ALTI 
Pathetic.

Alti launched her own attack at Ares. It was to fast, and being out of combat for a long time it nailed him right in the chest and knocked him down.

APHRODITE 
Ares!

Stunned but uninjured Ares sat up and rubbed the spot where he was hit.

ARES 
Okay I felt that one.

He stood up and looked down at himself. Then with a snap of his fingers he was suddenly wearing his old school god of war outfit. He stretched out a little feeling far less restricted in his ancient look.

ARES 
Oh yeah that's more like it.

Not wanting to be left out Aphrodite decided to change her clothes as well.

APHRODITE 
I've always liked this look.

Alti was not amused.

ALTI 
I hope you're done with your little fashion show.

ARES 
Yup.

Ares quickly sent out a blast towards Alti, who moved out of the way. He threw another and again Alti dodged. Not wanting to drain himself, Ares drew his sword and charged Alti. He swung, she faded out of the way like she had done with Xena and Gabrielle. She appeared behind him but Ares was ready and quickly sidestepped, spun and swung his sword again. Alti vanished before he made contact. Alti appeared again and landed a hit, but Ares also scored one in return. The two staggered back a bit and looked at one another.

ARES 
(Smirking) Oh how I've missed actually being in the fight.

ALTI 
We'll see how long that enthusiasm lasts.

ARES
I'm just getting warmed up.

The two resumed their battle as Aphrodite spotted Xena and Gabrielle.

APHRODITE 
Oh no.

She quickly ran over to them.

APHRODITE 
Gabby, Xena.

Gabrielle slowly raised her head.

GABRIELLE 
(Weakly) Aphrodite.

Xena looked at her too.

XENA 
(Weakly/ Joking) 'Bout time you two showed up.

Aphrodite crouched down and looked at the metal rod that ran through the two. She sighed at the seriousness of the injuries.

APHRODITE
I didn't think I can get you to full strength but I should be able to do something here. 

The goddess focused her power as she held out her hands. The metal rod disappeared as bit by bit she closed the wounds left in xena and Gabrielle's midsections by the sharp metal object. Finally after a few minutes Aphrodite dropped her hands as she sighed tiredly. Though still sore Xena and Gabrielle slowly stood with their series wound healed for the most part. They both took Aphrodite's hands and helped the spent goddess stand. 

XENA 
Thanks you're a real life saver.

GABRIELLE 
Literally.

APHRODITE 
Sure. After this is over I'm going on a very long vacation.

The three heard Ares groan as Alti landed a good hit on the god. Xena, Gabrielle and Aphrodite ran out into the open and saw Ares on the ground.

APHRODITE 
How are we supposed to beat her?

Xena knew that at this point facing Alti straight up like this was not going to work. She had become far too powerful. Xena had to think of some way to stop her. She quickly scanned the area for any ideas.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) How do we beat someone with this much power? What can we use against Alti to stop her?

Alti taunted Ares as she stood over him.

ALTI 
My how far the once mighty God of war has fallen. Oh well I've always wanted to kill a God.

Alti armed an attack point blank at Ares. He put out his hand to try and blast her away but nothing happened.

ARES
Damn bad time to run out of power here.

He had tapped out his power for the time being. This was unfortunately a regular occurrence if he, Aphrodite, Alti or any super natural being used their powers to much in a short time. The cause for the loss of magical abilities in the world was unknown. And since not only did it not affect the vast majority of the population, but most didn't even believe such things were real, the issue remained mostly uninvestigated. And thus was the reason for Alti's sick "solution" to at least her problem. She smiled a sinister smile at Ares.

ALTI 
(Condescending tone) What's the matter did the mighty God of war run out of fight?

Ares huffed as he raised his sword and began to stand.

ARES 
I don't need powers to fight.

ALTI 
If you say so.

Alti lifted another piece of metal and threw it at Ares. But before it could reach him something collided with it in mid air and knocked it away. Alti angerly yelled as she looked over to where the projectile came from.

ALTI 
Why can't you just stay down?!

Xena scowled at Alti, catching her chakrum as it returned.

XENA 
Why can't you stay gone?

Though not fully recovered Xena and Gabrielle stood side by side as they walked over to Ares as he got to his feet. Xena kicked a metal rod tnat Alti hadn't thrown out of her way, briefly glancing down at it as she walked by. Aphrodite walked right behind them. Xena and Gabrielle held their weapons ready.

ALTI 
This is just getting ridiculous. Time to end this once and for all.

XENA 
You read my mind.

Xena glanced at the other three next to her having just thought of a way to defeat Alti. She discreetly and quickly whispered her idea to the rest of the group. 

XENA 
Everyone ready?

GABRIELLE 
Ready.

ARES 
I'm good to go.

XENA 
Aphrodite you know what to do?

APHRODITE 
I gotcha. 

XENA 
Good. Let's finish this. Time to get rid of you Alti and this time I'll make sure that there's no coming back.

×××

 

The group of Xena, Gabrielle, Aphrodite and Ares stood before Alti. The four slowly started to spread out and walk around he. Alti just laughed as she shook her head disappointedly.

ALTI 
You can't actually think that just surrounding me like this will do anything.

XENA 
I guess we'll find out.

Xena yelled as she ran in and swung her sword, Alti vanished and showed up behind her. But before she could do anything Gabrielle ran at her. Alti dodged. Ares came in from the side landing a blow. Alti staggered back a little and quickly vanished once more. She popped up behind Gabrielle and swung. Sensing Alti behind her Gabrielle ducked, dropping down as she swept Alti's leg. Alti fell and disappeared. Then there was a sudden calm in the fight as Xena, Gabrielle and Ares stood looking for Alti. A moment later she popped back up a few feet in front of them. She stared angerly at them.

XENA 
What's the matter Alti having trouble? I guess all those people you killed in the name of power didn't do anything did it? You've just been murdering people for no reason.

ALTI 
Is that what you think? I've been going easy on you so far.

Xena smirked.

XENA 
(Mocking tone) You hear that she says she's been going easy on us.

GABRIELLE 
(Sarcasm) How nice of her.

ALTI 
I almost killed you a little bit ago.

XENA 
Exactly, almost.

Alti sneered.

ALTI 
Then this time I'll make sure I finish the job.

Alti held up her hand and used her power to rip a pipe out of the ceiling and threw it right at Xena. Xena jumped and rolled out of the way as it crashed into the wall behind her.

ARES
Ooo swing and a miss.

Alti looked at him, focused her power and lifted a transit car. She then sent it towards the god. Ares dropped flat to the ground as the car sailed over him and smashed through a pillar and into another wall. Sending chunks of rubble all over.
While all this was happening Aphrodite snuck away from the action. She got over to Luka and held up a finger to her lips implying for him to stay quiet.

APHRODITE 
(Whisper) Come on cutie I'm gonna get you somewhere safe.

Luka looked over at the battle going on. Aphrodite looked back for a moment then smiled at him.

APHRODITE 
(Whisper) Don't worry they know what they're doing trust me. We'll see them in a little bit. 

Aphrodite heard another loud crash as the fight continued. She looked up as she saw some dust fall from above, then looked back at Luka.

APHRODITE 
(Whisper) But right now we need to get going.

Aphrodite untied Luka and picked him up. She took one more quick look back and then quietly hurried back the way they came with Luka in her arms.

APHRODITE 
(Thinking to herself) You three better meet us outside.

Xena and Gabrielle dove out of the way of another large hunk of metal and concrete that was hurled their way. It smashed through the wall, leaving a massive hole.

ALTI 
I will kill all of you.

Xena threw her chakrum at Alti who deflected it, sending the projectile into the ceiling. It struck a pipe making it burst. Water began spraying down as Xena's weapon ricocheted back to her.

XENA 
Had enough yet?

Alti just yelled as she used her power to rip the busted out of the ceiling and chucked it at Xena who dodged.

ALTI 
I've had enough of this. Time to die.

Alti raised her hands straight up and began to focus her power. The room was suddenly filled with a number of creaking sounds. Rubble began to fall from the ceiling as the whole station began to shake. Alti got a crazed look in her eyes as she stared intensly at Xena.

ALTI 
You've tried to stand in my way for the last time Xena. And now I'm going to do what I should've done when I had you in that fun house. I'll kill you. Then I'll take care of Gabrielle, that boy and then this whole damn city.

More rubble fell around them as the ceiling and walls began to crack.

ALTI 
And why stop there? Soon this whole miserable world will be mine.

Everything shook as Ares spoke to Xena and Gabrielle.

ARES
Not to state the obvious but we should probably get out of here.

XENA 
No not yet.

ALTI 
Oh don't tell me that the great Ares is scared.

ARES
Of course not I just don't wanna stand here listening to you much longer.

As much as she wanted to Xena chose not to make a sarcastic comment.

ALTI 
Then I guess it's a good thing you'll all be dead soon.

Xena, Gabrielle and Ares looked on as Alti continued to focus her power above. The creeking got louder as more debris felt all around them. Xena looked at the crumbling infrastructure as she assessed the situation.

XENA 
Okay now I think it's time to go.

Xena, Gabrielle and Ares began to turn to leave.

ALTI 
Oh no I'm afraid it's too late to escape now.

Xena looked back at Alti and smirked.

XENA 
You're right it is, for you.

Xena looked up slightly. Wondering what she meant Alti did the same then she saw a large chunk of the ceiling falling towards her. She quickly used her power to send it back up. But her panic and haste caused her to do it to hard. It smashed into the ceiling which triggered the whole thing to begin to rapidly collapse down on her.

ALTI 
No!!!

It happened so fast Alti couldn't move and got buried under rubble and metal. Multiple pipes from the ceiling impaled her as large, heavy chunks of concrete rained down on her. She yelled until a pipe fell and pierced her right through the heart. Alti gasped in agony as she spit up blood. She looked at Xena with a burning hatred as she slowly lowered her head and that was it. Her body faded to just bone as more rubble fell. Breaking and mashing the bones that remained. The ancient sorceress Alti was finally destroyed for good. But there was no time to celebrate as more of the underground station continued to collapse.

XENA 
Let's go now!

Xena,  Gabrielle and Ares began running towards the entrance. The trio raced through the tunnels as they fell around them. Alti had caused a chain reaction. And now the old decaying structure of the whole area was giving way.

XENA 
I don't suppose you can just pop us all out of this.

ARES 
You're kidding right. My powers are completely spent from that damn fight. I'll be lucky if I can do anything by next week.

The three dodged falling objects as more debris continued to rain down as they ran.

GABRIELLE 
Any ideas Xena?

XENA
Yeah keep running.

Aphrodite stood outside with Luka holding him as she walked back and forth while waiting for Xena, Gabrielle and Ares to come up from below. 

APHRODITE 
(Thinking to herself) Come on guys. You have to be okay.

Aphrodite stopped pacing when she suddenly felt the ground slightly shake as she heard what sounded like a loud crash and thud coming from the area passed the stairs.

APHRODITE 
What was that?

She moved a little closer to try and see when a large cloud of dust came up. She shut  her eyes as it passed. Then the goddess realized that something must've happened. She began to get a bad feeling as she stared down into the passage.

APHRODITE
No.

There was a few moments of silence she heard some familiar voices coming her way.

GABRIELLE 
Gods that was close. (Cough)

XENA 
(Cough) Ugh I'll be cleaning dust out of every crevice for a week.

ARES 
(Joking) Oooo there's an image. Oww! Xena your wife just smacked me.

Aphrodite smiled at Luka as she heard the voices get closer.

APHRODITE 
Well at least we know their okay.

After a few moments Xena, Gabrielle and Ares walked up the steps and out into the sunlight. Luka squirmed in Aphrodite's arms happy to see Xena and Gabrielle. She handed him to Gabrielle who hugged him close. Xena stood next to her and lovingly stroked his hair as she smiled down at him.

GABRIELLE 
Luka I'm so glad you're safe.

XENA 
You okay?

LUKA 
Mmhm.

XENA 
At a boy.

Aphrodite smiled. 

APHRODITE 
So I take it we won't be seeing anymore of little miss sorceress.

GABRIELLE 
No I'm pretty sure Alti's gone for good this time.

XENA 
And if she does come back we'll be waiting for her.

ARES 
Now if that's not a scary thought I don't know what is.

Luka looked up at Gabrielle.

LUKA
Can we go now?

XENA 
Sure. How bout we all go get some dinner how's that sound?

ARES 
(Joking) I mean if you're buying.

XENA 
(Joking) No one invited you.

Aphrodite laughed as she and Gabrielle who had Luka began to walk away.

GABRIELLE 
Hey you two play nice. Now come on let's get cleaned up so we can go eat.

Aphrodite focused enough of her power to bring everyone back to Xena and Gabrielle's apartment.

XENA 
Hey easy with that one did you not read the big letters that say "FRAGILE GLASS".

ARES
(Joking) If I knew for sure this was just yours I would've just kicked it down the stairs instead of carrying it.

Gabrielle walked by Xena and Ares as Ares put a box in the back of a large moving truck.

GABRIELLE 
(Joking) Good thing you didn't cause then I'd have to kill you.

A few months had gone by since the show down against Alti. As Xena shut the back of the truck. She looked up at the clear, sunny sky.

XENA 
Figures it would actually be nice out the day we finaly leave this garage city.

ARES 
Leave it to Xena to find a way to complain about good weather.

GABRIELLE 
It certainly makes for a good send off.

The three were a bit startled when the truck horn beeped. They looked to see Aphrodite looking out the driver's side window.

APHRODITE 
Hey let's get this party on the road.

Ares began making his way over to her. 

ARES
Oh no you are not driving. Not with other people on the road.

Xena and Gabrielle smirked as they watched Ares argue with Aphrodite for a few minutes until she gave in and moved to the passengers seat. He shook his head as he climbed in and shut the door.

XENA 
(Joking) I told you we should've hired people to do this.

Gabrielle shrugged as she walked towards the steps.

GABRIELLE 
Well too late now.

Gabrielle picked up Luka who was waiting on the stairs, put him in the back of Xena's car, buckled him in and shut the door. Then Xena and Gabrielle got in front and drove off with Ares and Aphrodite following in the truck behind them. They drove for a while and followed a road out of the city. After a bit Luka looked up from playing with his toy.

LUKA 
Am I gonna like the new house?

GABRIELLE 
I think so. You'll have lots of room to run and play. Make new friends. Have your own room.

LUKA 
(Ecited tone) Wow. I can't wait to get there.

Gabrielle giggled at the boys excitement. The three drove quietly for a few minutes when Luka asked another question.

LUKA 
Does this mean that now I get to stay with you forever?

Xena glanced into the rear view mirror and smiled at Luka.

XENA 
That's right little man. You're gonna live with us from now on.

With both of Luka's biological parents being out of the picture and after some careful discussion Xena and Gabrielle had both decided to begin to process of legally adopting him. Luka smiled happily from the back seat.

LUKA 
Good I like living with you and mama Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked at Xena surprised.

GABRIELLE 
(Whisper) Did he just call me mama?

Xena smiled.

XENA 
Pretty sure he said mama Gabrielle to be precise.

Gabrielle smiled as she turned to look at Luka.

GABRIELLE 
Luka is there a reason why you just called me that?

Luka nodded happily.

LUKA 
You take care of my like my real mommy did before that mean lady took her away.

Some time ago Xena and Gabrielle had told Luka about Alti killing his birth mother. They were obviously careful to not tell him too much due to his age. They had simply told him something along the lines of the mean lady that took him had hurt his mother and made it so he couldn't see her anymore. But they made sure to reassure him that they made it so the mean lady could never hurt anyone ever again. And that he would always be safe with them. Once he was old enough to understand they would eventually tell him the truth if he asked. But for the time being they decided explaining it this way was for the best. And dispite still missing his birth mother at times, Luka was a fairly happy little boy. 

LUKA 
So you're mama Gabrielle. 

Luka pointed to Xena.

LUKA 
And you're mama Xena.

Xena smirked as she shrugged.

XENA 
(Thinking to herself) Well that's a simple way to do it.

She then smiled at Luka in the mirror.

GABRIELLE 
I like that Luka.

Gabrielle reached back and patted his head as he went back to playing with his toy. So the happy little family and their friends left the city and drove towards their new suburban life. Gabrielle was still gonna do her reporting but for the local news station. Xena decided to take a break from her job at least until Luka went to school then she'd make a decision on what she wanted to do. Though it didn't really matter what either of them did as long as they were doing some good and working towards making the world a better place together they were happy. So whether it was thousands of years ago, the current time they lived in or some far off distant future, no matter what might change one thing that would always remain the same was that whenever there way a cry for a hero, Xena and Gabrielle would be there to change the world.

THE END  ❤️

 

EMAIL:

tgirl159tgirl159@gmail.com 

Back to the Academy