Disclaimers: The characters of Xena and Gabrielle belong to Renpics. I'm just borrowing them for a while. No copyright infringement is intended. This story is a "back story" to Soul Crossing, an uber that ties directly back to Xena and Gabrielle. Right now, it's rated G, but that might progress to PG-13 later. This is a story about two women who love each other. You can assume that they have a physical relationship.

Timeline: Toward the end of season six.

Joy Divided

By Web Bard

(copyright 3/2001)

Part 3 - -Conclusion

Gabrielle gently pulled away from her sleeping soul mate and slipped on the robe that the Goddess of Love had placed by her bed. She walked over to the banquet table that had magically transformed into an array of breads and cheeses and trays overflowing with exotic fruits. Being pals with Aphrodite did have its advantages.

"Good morning, little one," said Aphrodite as she suddenly appeared in front of the young bard. "Don't worry, the warrior babe can't hear us. She'll be out for a while."

Gabrielle took a deep breath and smiled at her friend. "I need your help Aphrodite."

"I know, sweet pea," answered the Love Goddess. "You know that I'll do what I can to help you. That goes for tall, dark and snoring over there, too."

Gabrielle took a deep breath. "I want a child. Xena's child. "

"I figured it was something remotely impossible like that," said Aphrodite, with a smirk on her face. "Ares and I are the only Gods left from Olympus. I'm afraid that I'll have to consult with him about this."

"I don't want Ares child. I want this child to be a part of Xena and me. You understand that don't you?" Gabrielle lowered her head as tears began to form in her eyes.

Aphrodite gently lifted her friend's chin. "I promise I'll try to make him see reason and help us, okay? Don't you worry your pretty little head about it. I'll get right back to you."

And then, she was gone.

"Gabrielle?" A tall, slender figure emerged from the shadows and moved toward the young blonde. "Are you alright, love?"

"Good morning, sunshine." Gabrielle pulled Xena into her arms and kissed her. "Want some breakfast?"

The warrior leaned down and began kissing the soft skin behind her lover's ear and began a trail of kisses down the bard's neck. "Only if you're the main course."

Gabrielle moaned slightly and gently pulled away. She tried to regulate her breathing before she spoke. "Honey, normally I would give into your romantic advances, but we need to talk."

Xena placed her hands on her soul mate's shoulders and looked into her eyes. "What's the matter, sweetheart?"

"I want a child," said Gabrielle in a near whisper. "Our child. Mine and yours."

"I want that too, love, but there are some physical problems with that arrangement."

"I realize that, Xena. That's why I've asked Aphrodite to help us."

"I don't understand," said the warrior. "Are you sure you want to involve the Greek Gods in our lives again?"

"If it will give me a child with you, then I'll risk it," said the small blonde as she took Xena's hand. "Both of us had our children ripped away from us. Eve is gone now, too. We'll never get them back. We'll never know what it would have been like to see them grow up. I want to give that to you Xena. It's my fault that Solon…"

Xena placed her fingers on Gabrielle's lips. "Stop that. We are not traveling down that road again. I love you and want a child with you, but not to replace the ones that we lost. They can't be replaced, love."

The bard slid her arms around her soul mate and held her in a long embrace. A familiar presence entered the room as they swayed in each other's arms.

"Do you lovebirds ever stop touching each other?" Aphrodite stood in front of the two lovers and held out a scroll. "I think I have a deal with Ares."

"Tell us," said Gabrielle impatiently.

"Xena, as you know, Ares always wanted a child with you," said the Love Goddess.

"Never gonna happen," growled Xena.

"He knows that," said Aphrodite. "But for this to happen the way you want it to, I have to have an agreement with him. There is no child without both of the two remaining Greek Gods involved in the process."

"Alright then," said Gabrielle. "What does he want?"

Aphrodite rolled out her scroll. "You will have a child. This child will be created from you and Xena. A daughter, in fact. She will be beautiful and will live a long life. She will also be mortal. However, for the two of you to produce a child, you must be given the power of immortality, become goddesses, if you will. From this day forward, you will not age one single day. However, your daughter will age normally. Unless you find true soul mates identical to you to replace you in this agreement, she will die before you regain your mortality. If your matching soul mates can't be found, then you will never be able to cross to the other side to see your child again."

Gabrielle swallowed hard and looked up at Xena. "What do you think?"

"I think that if we found each other, nothing is impossible," answered Xena in a soft voice. "If this is what you truly want, then I'm behind whatever decision you make."

"Then I, I mean, we, agree to your terms," said the bard. "What do we do now?"

"Well, I think you had already started in the right direction before I interrupted you earlier," grinned Aphrodite. "The soft bed is over there waiting for you. Just love each other. I'll take care of the rest."

"That, we can do," said Xena as she pulled her soul mate closer.

"Thank you, sweet friend." Gabrielle reached out her hand to touch Aphrodite's face. "You've made me happier than words can ever express."

"I care about you, sweet pea," said the Love Goddess. "I just want to see you happy. Now, don't you both have something better to than to chat with me?"

With a smile and a wave of her hand, Aphrodite was gone.

Gabrielle cupped her hands around Xena's face. "You're really okay with this?"

"Absolutely."

"What if we never find our matching soul mates? Are we going to be able to watch our child grow old before our very eyes, while we never age?" The young bard began to question her quick decision.

"We'll cross those bridges when we come to them, sweetheart," reassured Xena. "And we'll be crossing them together, okay?"

Gabrielle took the warrior by the hand and began walking toward the soft bed. "Then, I guess we need to see about making a baby then, don't we?"

Xena gently picked up her beloved and placed her on the pillow-covered bed. "I love you more than life itself, Gabrielle. I want this child as much as you do. A child that will inherit your beauty and grace and my strength and spirit. I can think of no greater gift that we can give each other."

Gabrielle gazed into the blue eyes that held her heart captive every day. She caressed the side of Xena's face and traced her finger over her companion's lips. The young blonde pulled her closer and kissed her with more emotion than she had ever felt for her soul mate. The two lovers soon began a tender exploration of each other, tracing every curve and touching every sensitive area that begged for attention. As they brought each other to simultaneous heights of passion, a brilliant light filled the room and then entered Gabrielle's body. Xena, fearing for her soul mate's safety, quickly covered Gabrielle's body with her own.

Gabrielle felt the warmth of the light fill her soul and rejoiced at the prospect of the new life she knew was now inside her. As she tried to regulate her ragged breathing, she pulled Xena even closer and wrapped her arms around the warrior. "It's okay, sweetheart. It's our daughter, just making her first appearance in our lives."

A tear escaped from the taller woman's eyes as she realized the impact of what Gabrielle had just said. "We're going to have a baby aren't we, love? A baby girl. Our girl."

"Our girl," whispered the bard to the warrior. "Our sweet joy."

"Then, that's what we'll name her, if it's okay with you," said Xena as she gazed into the green eyes looking with adoration back up at her. "Joy."

Gabrielle nestled herself into Xena's shoulder and wrapped her arm around her partner's waist. She sighed and smiled as she whispered the name over and over. "Joy…Joy…

welcome little one."

The end


Return to Main Page