"Enter the Dark "

By

Wilbur

debbir2000@yahoo.com

Go To Part 1


Chapter Six: "Bad Mojo"

Xena and Gabrielle put their weapons away and have a seat. Deerdra, on the other hand, remains standing, crossing her arms and glowering down at Eve.

Eve closes her eyes and centers herself mentally in preparation to digging up another painful memory. "It all started when Octavius gave me my first command of a small contingent of men. We were to collect taxes from a small village. I felt the job was beneath me so I didn't come up with a plan in case the villagers resisted. Naturally, they did. They fought hard and we took quite a beating. I was on my horse barking orders, but it was pure chaos. Just as defeat looked imminent, I heard a voice from behind me say 'You'd better retreat and regroup if you want to live to fight again.' I turned and it was Deerdra looking all noble and important on her big black horse."

Gabrielle waves her hand calling for a time out. "Wait a minute. Deerdra, you were going to help a Roman army kill innocent villagers?"

Deerdra chuckles. "They weren't so innocent. Athena bet me that I couldn't stop both groups on the same day, so I convinced a warlord of how glorious it would be to defeat a Roman army, no matter how small. The village was full of his men, not innocents."

Xena's still upset, but is also impressed. "Clever."

Eve mood lifts for a moment. "So that's why they fought so hard and good."

Deerdra's ego just go a boost. "Yep. I was hoping that one would destroy the other. It worked out perfectly, plus I won the bet."

Gabrielle leans forward. "What did you win?" She sees the wide grin on Deerdra's face, "Never mind. So, what happened? Why did you get involved?"

Deerdra's tone softens a little. "What usually happens. I saw a beautiful woman in need and just had to help. I swear, one of these days being horny is going to do me in." She shifts her gaze back to Eve. "It almost did that time, didn't it...Eve?"

Eve bow her head. "It wasn't all you."

Xena isn't sure she wants to hear this. "You don't have to say anymore if you don't want to."

"No, Mother, you need to hear all of it. After that first victory, Octavius gave me command of a larger army. And each time we faced battle, Deerdra was there by my side. She planned out all of the attacks and I took all of the glory. Eventually, my ego took over and I decided that I didn't need her anymore. So, during our next fierce battle, I got rid of her."

"Yeah, with this." Deerdra tosses the dagger she got from Thomas at Eve's feet. "I don't know how or where Thomas got that, but you can have it back."

Xena reaches over and picks it up. "Eve?"

Eve slumps her shoulders, the weight of her actions wearing her down. "Like I said, there was a fierce battle going on. Deerdra and I had just finished going over her battle plan when we left the command tent to see how the fight was progressing. I let her get ahead of me, pulled out the dagger, then plunged it into her back." Her eyes well with tears of guilt.

Deerdra's anger is building. "Don't stop there, finish the story."

Eve wipes her eyes. "I wasn't satisfied with simply stabbing her, I wanted to make sure she stayed dead. I tied her legs to my horse and drug her to where the fighting was the heaviest then cut the rope. I rode away laughing."

Gabrielle flashes back to when Joxer was killed. She looks over at Eve and sees wild-eyed Livia instead with a smiling and waving Joxer standing behind her. She shakes her head and looks away. When she looks back, Eve is Eve again.

Deerdra's anger starts a slow boil. "Do you know how many times I got trampled and ran over laying on that battlefield? If it wasn't for Leonius I'd still be laying there. That damned dagger was buried so deep in my back, the point was sticking out of my chest. He had a heck of a time digging that thing out of me, but once he did, I vowed to come after you and make you pay."

Eve begins to sob. "Oh, Deerdra! I am so sorry! Please forgive me!"

Deerdra doesn't say a word. She just clenches her jaw and glares at her.

Xena puts her arm around Eve and lets her cry into her shoulder.

Gabrielle is curious about something, "You obviously didn't go after Li- Eve. What stopped you?"

Deerdra continues to glower at Mother and daughter. "More like who. Ares showed up and told me- no, warned me to leave her alone. She was to take his beloved Xena's place beside him." Her anger reaches its peak boiling point and mixes with biting sarcasm. "I always thought that we would meet in battle one day and I would finally be able to beat the crap out of you. I never got the chance, though, now, did I? And why? Because you became another person. You're good now."

Eve answers through her tears. "I am good now. That other person- it wasn't me."

Deerdra's angry sarcasm spills over and splashes on Xena. "I know, it was your evil twin. Is that your excuse too, Xena? It wasn't you who raided all of those villages, it was someone else? You know what? That's my excuse too. It wasn't me who killed all of those people, it was my evil twin."

Xena has had enough. She leaps to her feet. "That's enough! You need to leave- now!"

"Oh, I'm going. I've had enough of this 'poor me, I've changed' crap. But I tell you, if she's truly your daughter then all of that anger she has bottled up inside will come out one day and then, Heaven help us!"

Xena put her hand on her chakram. "Leave now or so help me...!

Gabrielle gets up and stands between them, "It's all right, she's leaving," then pushes Deerdra toward her horse, "Move it."

By the time they reach her waiting steed, Deerdra has calmed down. "I'm sorry I lost my temper back there, but that woman brings out the worst in me. This isn't the way I wanted to say goodbye."

Gabrielle puts her hands on Deerdra's shoulders and looks her square in the eyes, "Ride away, but don't go far."

Deerdra isn't sure and doesn't want to hope, so she mounts up and slowly rides off into the dark.

Gabrielle watches to make sure she leaves then goes back to camp. "Xena, I need to talk to you- alone."

Eve blows her nose. "Go ahead, Mother. I'll be fine."

Xena rubs Eve's back. "Okay, but stay put. She's still out there."

Xena and Gabrielle walk a short way into the forest.

"You're not seriously considering going off with her, are you?"

"Yes, I am."

"Gabrielle, she can't be trusted. What do you really know about her, anyway?"

"That she's going through something and shouldn't be alone right now."

"It doesn't have to be you."

"She doesn't have anyone else she can turn to."

"Yeah, and why is that? I'll tell you why, they're all dead."

"Xena, she'd no sooner hurt me than you would."

"Yeah, well. She's a big girl, she can deal with it by herself."

"Uh, huh. Just like you didn't need anyone to help you."

"And there were plenty of times where I thought you would have been better off if you stayed in Poteidaia."

Gabrielle takes Xena's hands into hers. "I wouldn't trade out time together for anything. I won't be gone long, just until she conquers her demons."

"Right. We've been together how long now?"

"You don't need me standing beside you holding your hand. You have the mental toughness to fight your demons on your own. Deerdra doesn't have that yet."

"And with your help, she will. I still don't like it, but I'd rather have you there keeping an eye on her than let her run around loose in the known world."

"I knew you would understand. I'll be back before you know it." Gabrielle hugs Xena's neck but Xena pulls her in tight and holds her.

She whispers, "Come back to me."

Gabrielle whispers back, "I will." They back off just enough for a brief yet tender kiss. "I promise." She grins, "But just in case, maybe you should travel with Eve for a while."

"I thought I would. She needs someone to keep her out of trouble." They chuckle and head back to camp.

"Goodbye, Eve. Keep an eye on Xena for me."

Eve isn't at all surprised. She saw the turmoil in Deerdra's eyes--and soul. "I will. Goodbye Gabrielle, be safe and peace be with you."

Xena tries one last time. "Are you sure about this?"

Gabrielle glances over at Eve. There's Joxer and his goofy grin again. "I'm sure." She hugs Xena and whispers, "I love you."

Xena squeezes her back. "I love you, too."

A teary kiss and a final goodbye then Gabrielle heads off to find Deerdra. She doesn't walk far, Deerdra has been waiting a few yards away. "I'm coming with you--if that's okay."

Deerdra smiles, "It's more than okay."

The two mount Deerdra's horse and ride off into the night.

Eve walks over to Xena and puts her arms around her waist. "I'm sorry, Mother. Are you alright?"

Xena wipes her tears and sniffles. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm more concerned about you. Deerdra was pretty hard on you back there."

"With good reason. I lead her to believe that we were going to rule Rome together."

That surprises Xena. "What?"

"It was nothing, more like a flirtation than anything serious. I was only using her to boost my standing with Octavius."

Xena can relate. "Ambition and ego. They make us all do things we later regret."

"Believe me, Mother, I do. Does it get any easier? The confrontations?"

Xena sighs, "No, but if you're lucky, in time you develop a thicker skin to better deal with them."

Deerdra did strike a nerve with Eve. "What if she's right and all of the anger that I've been suppressing comes out and I turn back into Livia?"

Xena takes Eve by the shoulders and looks her square in the eyes. "You are NOT Livia. You are my daughter and the messenger of Eli. The love in your heart is far more powerful than any anger you may feel. Just remember that and everything will be fine. Plus I'll be here to give you a quick kick in the butt."

That brings a smile to Eve's heart. "Because nothing ever ruffles your feathers, right?"

Xena grins. "You know me, cool as a cucumber."

Eve gives her a big hug. "Thank you, Mother. I love you."

"I love you too, Eve. You think you could ask Eli and your God to keep an extra eye on Gabrielle?"

"He watches over all of his children. Gabrielle's where she needs to be right now." She brushes Xena's tear stained cheek and whispers, "She'll be fine...and so will you. So, how big of a head start are you going to give them?"

Xena gives her a crooked grin, "Half a day."

* * *

Up the road a ways, Gabrielle and Deerdra ride in near silence in the moonlight. Gabrielle is sobbing into Deerdra's back. "You're not wiping your nose on my shirt, are you?"

Gabrielle sniffles, "No."

Deerdra gets a sinking feeling. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Okay, but we'll need to stop and make camp soon."

"Fine."

Gathering wood for the fire takes a little longer when done by moon glow, so by the time the fire is raging, Gabrielle has pulled herself together and is ready to talk.

Deerdra eases her way into the serious end of the crying pool. "I was more than a little surprised when you said you were coming with me. Pleased, mind you, but surprised."

Gabrielle pokes at at the ground with a stick. "I hadn't made up my mind until we ran into Eve."

"Funny. She's the reason I thought that you would stay. Or at least the way I treated her would make you run the other way."

"The way you reacted is one of the reasons I'm here. The other is Eve herself."

"Oh? I thought you two got along."

"We do, for the most part, but, and this is something I haven't told Xena, sometimes when she talks about her past, about being Livia, I think about and see my friend Joxer. I don't know why, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time getting over her killing him "

Deerdra places her hand on Gabrielle's shoulder. "It can take a long time for the heart to heal when someone you care about dies...especially if you keep beating yourself up about it."

Gabrielle bows her head. "I can't help it. If I hadn't gone to Livia..." She begins to tear up again.

"Hey, now. It wasn't your fault. You had no idea how corrupt her mind was. I know Joxer fancied himself a warrior and he did what all good warriors aspire to do--die in battle protecting the woman you love. That makes him a hero in my book." Deerdra chuckles. She remembers something about Joxer.

"He sure was a character. He loved to entertain the barmaids with this funny song of his:

"Joxer the Mighty, roams through the countryside, he never has to hide.

With Gabby as his sidekick fighting with her little stick--"

That brings on more crying. "Hey, I'm sorry. I'm not much of a singer."

Gabrielle feels even more guilty. She tries to talk through her tears, "He was a hero, but he didn't have to die that day. That's on me."

Deerdra attempts to comfort her. "Maybe, but all heroes die, Gabrielle, sooner or later. And, yes, I fully expect to die someday, especially now that I'm working for Michael."

Well that didn't go over well. Tears stream down Gabrielle's cheeks. She reaches over and wraps Deerdra in a bear hug. "No, you can't."

Deerdra gently rocks back and forth. "Shh, I'm sorry, that didn't help at all. I meant someday, in the distant future when all of this--the mountains, the rivers, and the villages are nothing more than a faded memory."

Gabrielle looks up at her, "Like when I'm no longer here?"

Deerdra's heart sinks at the thought. "Okay, bad example."

Gabrielle manages a smile and wipes her tears. "I know what you're getting at. He was such a sweet guy, that's all."

"Yes, he was. And I understand what you're feeling. Too many times, I've watched the people I loved die, on and off the battlefield." Deerdra starts to choke up. She looks down and runs her fingers through the dirt, trying to distract herself and stop the tears. She sniffles, "We're quite the pair, aren't we?"

"Hey," Gabrielle raises Deerdra's chin so their eyes meet, "I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere." She softens her voice, "That's the other reason I left Xena. I want to be with you." She arches her eyebrows to emphasize her point.

Deerdra makes sure, "What about Xena? I thought--"

Gabrielle places her finger on Deerdra's lips. "Don't you think it's possible that I could love two people at the same time?"

Deerdra's breath has been taken away, "Yes."

Gabrielle moves in close. "And you? What about that woman in the village?"

"That was sloppy, drunken sex."

Gabrielle smiles. "And this?"

Deerdra grins. "This... is passion."

They kiss, slow and gentle at first then their passion builds. Gabrielle slowly lowers Deerdra to the ground and the two become one.

The next morning finds the new lovers fast asleep, snuggled up against one another. Deerdra's arm is around Gabrielle's waist. She instinctively pulls her closer and when she does, she feels something wet and sticky on Gabrielle's waist. "What the..? Did you roll over into something?" She looks at her hand. Blood. Deerdra's heart jumps into her throat. "No. It can't be." She quietly leans over Gabrielle to get a better look. What she sees makes her stomach churn and her face go as white as a snowshoe hare in a blizzard. Gabrielle, the woman Deerdra just made love to and who has a firm hold on her heart, has a large, gapping wound across her stomach. Terrified, Deerdra holds her blood-stained hand in front of her and tumbles backward and mumbles, "No, no, no."

The commotion wakes up Gabrielle. She reaches behind her and feels around for Deerdra. Not finding her, rolls over and asks, "Are you getting breakfast?" No reply. She opens her eyes and spots Deerdra sitting up against a tree, rocking back and forth and mumbling. Gabrielle runs over to her in a panic. "Deerdra! Deerdra, can you hear me? Deerdra!"

Deerdra looks up at her and all she sees is a wounded Gabrielle standing over her with a pained expression on her face. She reaches out to Deerdra with bloody hands and asks, "Why?" Deerdra clamps her eyes closed and continues to mumble, "You're not real. You're not real."

Gabrielle isn't sure what to do so she grabs Deerdra by her shoulders and shakes. "Deerdra! Deerdra, look at me! Deerdra!" She slaps her face hard. "Deerdra!"

That gets her attention. She peers through her eyes and sees a very concerned-and healthy- Gabrielle standing over her. She leaps to her feet and wraps her arms around her and squeezes. "You're all right! You're all right! It was just another nightmare!" A pause then, "Did you just slap me?"

"Yes, I did. What's going on with you? What were you seeing just now?"

Deerdra comes back to reality. "I was seeing that you'd be safer with Xena. You can probably catch up with her if you left right now."

Gabrielle doesn't know where all this is coming from. "What are you talking about?"

Deerdra lets her go. "You're not safe around me. I know that now."

Gabrielle grabs her by her shoulders. "Tell me what you saw."

"When I woke up, you had a bloody slash across your stomach. I"m being told that you're not safe around me."

Gabrielle doesn't buy it. "It was one nightmare. Nothing more."

Deerdra shakes her head. "No, it was the second. The first one came the night before the ceremony. I killed Eve, fought and killed Xena, then I turned on you, slashing your throat." She takes Gabrielle's hands into her own. "Gabrielle, it didn't even faze me. I was proud of myself. It was disgusting. And after this one, I know now that you're not safe around me, no one is."

"Bull. So you had a couple of nightmares, who hasn't? Yes, these were extremely violent but, that's why they're called nightmares." Gabrielle squeezes Deerdra's hands, "You would never hurt me. You would cut these hands off before raising them to me."

"But..."

"No buts. I'm going with you, period. Now pack your gear and let's go."

Deerdra realizes that she's not going to win this particular argument, but she wants to give Gabrielle and insurance policy just in case. "Yes, ma'am! But before we go, I want to give you something." She goes over to her pack and roots around. She comes out with something wrapped in a cloth. "Here, just in case."

Gabrielle takes the wrap off. It's the other bone dagger, the one Colin had. "Deerdra, I'm not taking this."

Deerdra crosses her arms, "Well, we're not moving until you do."

Gabrielle stuffs it in her pack, "Fine, but I'm not going to have to use it."

"I hope you're right."

Mid afternoon and, still sharing a horse, they ride up on a signpost for the next village: " ENTERING ILLUME "

"Maybe we can find you your own horse there."

Gabrielle gives Deerdra a squeeze, "But I like holding on to you."

"So do I, but I doubt the horse agrees."

They trot down Illume's main street and are met by an eerie silence.

"Uh, Deerdra--?"

"There's probably a town meeting going on. We'll stop in at the stables and see if anyone's there."

Once they arrive at the stables, they dismount and Deerdra calls out, "Hello, anyone here?"

Gabrielle is getting nervous. "It's so quiet. Where are all the children?"

The blacksmith, a tall, fit man in his fifties startles them. "Inside their homes, if they know what's good for them."

The women whip around. Deerdra automatically steps in front of Gabrielle. "What's that?"

I didn't mean to startle you, ma'am. The name's Horace, I'm the blacksmith and stable owner." (Gabrielle stifles a snicker). "Around here, parents don't let their children run around unattended. At least, not if they want them to come home alive."

No more snickering for Gabrielle. "Someone is harming children?"

"More like something. No one knows what it is, but any cow, sheep, or child that wanders into the forest never comes back out. All that's left are drag marks."

"I assume you've looked for them." Deerdra can guess his answer.

"Yes, we have. The marks lead to a cave, but no one around here is brave enough to go in and have a look."

"Of course," Deerdra thinks to herself. "Do you know where this cave is?"

"Are you two planning on going in there?" Horace is amused at the thought.

Gabrielle takes exception to his tone. "Someone has to save those kids and stop whatever is doing this."

It's Horace's turn to be insulted. "And you think you're the right ones for the job? Two women? Why?"

Deerdra unsheather her shiny sword, "It's what we do."

The doubting blacksmith leads Gabrielle and Deerdra deep into the forest. They see adult footprints and drag marks but to their relief, no blood. Horace stops dead in his tracks a hundred yards or so from the cave opening. "That's it over there. It's been real nice knowing you."

As he hot-foots it back to the village, Deerdra shouts at him, "I expect two horses to be saddled and ready to go when we get back! Sheesh. Coward."

A low growl echoes from the cave.

Deerdra turns to Gabrielle, "I don't suppose you'd consider waiting here for me?"

"Nope."

"I didn't think so. Just stay close, okay?"

"Don't worry." Gabrielle grins, "You first."

"Gee thanks."

They each make a torch then enter the cave. They don't get far before a strong, pungent smell threatens to overcome them.

If Gabrielle had a free hand, she would hold her nose. "Whew, what is that smell? Wait, never mind. I don't want to know."

Deerdra isn't sure she wants to know either, especially after something wet drips on her arm. She brings her torch closer. Blood. The entire cave, save for the floor, is covered in blood. "Don't look up or touch the walls."

"Why?"

"You said you didn't want to know."

Gabrielle crinkles her nose, "Oh."

At last they arrive at the cave's big room and are immediately greeted by a huge three-headed snake like demon. Teedle, Deedle, and Doo. Blood and saliva drip from each of their dagger pointed teeth.

Teedle hisses, "Ah, Deerdra Reese. I've been waiting for you."

Deedle: "I was starting to run out of room for all of these children."

The body slides over just enough for Gabrielle and Deerdra to catch a glimpse of a cage full of absolutely terrified, but otherwise unharmed children.

Doo: "I knew it was just a matter of time before you would show up and play the hero."

Deerdra is underwhelmed. "A sick, yet effective ploy. Shall I guess what you want?"

Teedle: "To kill you, obviously."

Seeing the children erased all of Gabrielle's fear. Now she's angry. "Well she's here now. You can let the children go."

Deedle: "Yes, she did and she brought the lovely Gabrielle with her."

Doo: "Have you come to bear my child as well?" The heads erupt into laughter.

That's one taunt too far. Deerdra's rage builds with each maniacal 'Ha!' "Don't you come near her!"

She does the Xena walk up the wall trick to gain height. She then pushes off of the wall and flies toward the demon. While still airborne, she uses her silver sword to slash left, right, then left again. Each of the demon's heads flop to the ground. Deerdra comes to a landing next to Gabrielle. She has an evil, satisfied expression on her face as she watches the demon's body flail around squirting bluish colored blood all over everyone and thing.

Gabrielle is a little grossed out and unnerved by the look of absolute pleasure on Deerdra's face. "I'll, um, go and free the children." She carefully makes her way past the demon's oozing body and over to the cage. She strikes the lock with her sai and springs the door open. She tries to calm the whimpering children. "It's all okay now. You're safe. Come on, let's get you home."

After everyone takes a dip clothes and all, Gabrielle leads the children parade like down through the streets of Illume. The joyous sounds of youthful voices and laughter bring the adults to their windows. The parents can hardly believe their eyes! Their daughters and sons are home with nary a scratch! The air is filled with shouts of joy and praise for the two warriors.

All of the attention makes Deerdra uncomfortable. She pulls Gabrielle away from a back-patting, hand- shaking parent, "This reminds me too much of Areesia. Let's get our horses and leave."

"Okay. I could use a proper bath." Gabrielle looks Deerdra up and down, "Couldn't we?"

"Huh?" Deerdra inspects her clothes, "Oh, yeah, I guess so."

Horace has been watching the spectacle from his workshop door. "I never would have believed it if I weren't looking right at it! How did two women defeat that beast?"

Deerdra is in no mood for his condescending attitude. "I said to have two horses ready."

Horace is a bit thrown, "Oh, um, right, sure. The one you came in on and I have a pretty palomino. It'll take me just a few moments. I'll be right back!" He hollers over his shoulder, "Oh, and this is on the house!"

Deerdra smirks, "I guess there are perks to being liked."

Gabrielle hugs her from behind and snuggles up next to her ear, "Don't you know it."

Deerdra feels the warm fuzzies all over and wonders how she could be so lucky. She resists the urge to tear all of Gabrielle's clothes off and take her right there. She slides around and faces Gabrielle, "This would be way more romantic if we both didn't reek of snake ooze."

Gabrielle has mischievous glint in her eye, "I'm sure there's a pond around her somewhere. We could scrub each other's back and, uh, clean those hard to reach places. "

Deerdra arches an eyebrow and grins, "Oh, we could, could we?"

They lean in and kiss but are rudely interrupted.

"Here you go!" Horace has lead the well provisioned horses over to the loving pair.

They ever so reluctantly part. Deerdra takes the reins from him, "Thank you and thank the townspeople. I don't suppose there are any pond or lakes nearby, are there?" She winks at Gabrielle.

Horace is all too happy to help the conquering heroes, "Why, sure! This area is full of ponds, big and little. Let's see. The biggest and cleanest is a little ways up the road. It'll be on your left through the bushes and trees."

Gabrielle stretches up and gives him a peck on the cheek and presses several coins in his hand. "Thank you for the horses and supplies. Goodbye and take care."

The two women mount up and slip out of Illume unnoticed by the still celebrating villagers.

They bop along the dirt road light of heart and in high spirits, but there's a question Gabrielle needs to put out there and get it out of the way, "So, do you want to talk about what that demon said to and about me?"

Deerdra frowns, "No."

Gabrielle's relieved. She isn't sure she wanted to talk about it, either. She stands in the saddle, "I see some water shimmering on the left--race ya!"

That re-brightens Deerdra's mood, "You're on!"

They reach the pond at the same time and don't even bother undressing, they take their boots off then jump in. However, the clothes eventually do come off. After much whooping and splashing, Gabrielle plays mermaid, swimming underwater then popping up behind Deerdra. She wraps her arms around Deerdra's waist then does a little, ahem, exploring. "Now," she kisses Deerdra's neck, "Where were we?"

The next morning, as the sun begins to peak over the horizon, both women are fast asleep, well, Gabrielle is snoozing away. Deerdra has had another nightmare. She bolts upright, sweat streaming down her face and neck and her heart beating in her ears. She looks over at Sleeping Beauty and sighs. Harsh reality hits her with a right hook. She knows what she has to do.

She tiptoes around camp gathering up her clothes, (they're spread out over the bushes to dry) rolls them in her pack, then saddles her horse. Before mounting up, she digs out a piece of parchment and 'pen' and through teary eyes, writes Gabrielle a goodbye note. After much eye wiping and nose sniffling, the note is written. She places it next to Gabrielle then gently kisses her forehead. "I'm so sorry, but it's better this way. Safer. I do love you, Gabrielle. Goodbye." She retrieves the bone dagger from Gabrielle's pack then with a heart as heavy as Mt. Olympus is tall, she rides away.

With Deerdra long gone, the sun is finally up enough to shine in Gabrielle's eyes. She rolls over to get out of the sun then feels around for Deerdra. Coming up empty, she opens her eyes and sees the note. She grins thinking it's something else. "What did you do, write me a poem?" She begins reading it and her heart sinks. "No no, no." Gabrielle runs to the road and yells in both directions, "Deerdra! Deerdra!" Then while standing in the middle, "Deerdra Lorraine Reese! Get back here!"

Deerdra has taken the long way around Illume and is well on the other side, however, it's not far enough. She can still Gabrielle's desperate cry for her. She closes her eyes, her heart breaking all over again. "I am so sorry my love." After a moment, she spurs her horse into a full out gallop and disappears over the horizon.

In the meantime, Xena and Eve have come up on the celebrating villagers of Illume.

"It looks like we're just in time for the festivities." Eve puts her hand on Xena's shoulder, "Having some fun could do you good, Mother."

Xena is skeptical, "Yeah, well, let's just hope they're celebrating something good this time."

A man passing by hears part of their conversation. "It is a happy occasion, indeed! Our children are home and the cave monster is dead!" He disappears back into the crowd without further explanation, but Xena and Eve can guess.

Xena's mildly impressed. "It sounds like Deerdra tried out her new sword."

On the other hand, Eve is impressed. "And something good came of it."

Xena smirks, "Yeah, there's hope for her yet."

It isn't until after the revelers move away from them when Xena hears Gabrielle yelling. "Wait. That's Gabrielle!" Fearing the worse has happened, Xena sprints in the direction of the yell. Eve isn't too far behind.

Gabrielle has gotten on horse and is tearing down the road leading to Illume. Seeing Xena and Eve running in her direction, she come to a screeching halt, jumps off of the horse and, with note in hand, runs to and hugs Xena. She tries to talk through her tears, "She's gone, Xena. When I woke up, she was gone. How could she leave me like that? No goodbye, just a note?"

Xena is relieved beyond words that Gabrielle is okay, physically at least. Although, now she has another reason to dislike and distrust Deerdra. "I don't know, Gabrielle. I just don't know."

Eve takes the note from Gabrielle and reads it out loud:

I write this through bleary eyes and with a heavy heart.

I have to leave you, my love, for your safety and my sanity.

Every night since Areesia, I have had the same nightmare

of me killing you. It is happening too often for it to be

a coincidence. I believe it to be a sign that I should go

it alone. So, I am leaving you and Greece.

If I hurt you in any way, my life would not be worth

living. (Not that Xena would let me live).

I want you to be happy. Stay with Xena and live your

life to the fullest. But, please, my love, be safe.

Leaving you isn't easy for me. You are the first person

in many, many years that I have trusted enough to give my

heart to. I love you, Gabrielle. There will be a void in my life

that no one will be able to fill. You will forever have

my heart and be a part of me until the end of time.

Goodbye, Gabrielle, my beautiful angel.

Deerdra

Eve wipes the tears from her eyes and gently rubs Gabrielle's back and she sobs in Xena's arms.

Like a shot, Gabrielle backs away. "No. She's not getting off that easy. I'm going to find her." She marches off toward her horse and calls out to Xena, "Are you coming?"

Even though Gabrielle's going to chase after Deerdra, Xena is still proud of her strength and resolve-which only makes her love her even more. "Right behind you, chief."

* * * * *

Many days and sleepless nights later, at a house far from Greece, a weary hand knocks on a heavy wooden door. A woman with eyes of cinnamon is sitting in a poofy chair next to the fire in the fireplace sipping a cup of tea. She smiles at the tap, tap, tap at the door. Setting her cup down, her white dress billows behind her as she walks over to answer the door. She is not at all surprised to see Deerdra on the other side. Deerdra's appearance, on the other hand, is quite the shock. She looks like something the dog dug up.

Deerdra has to choke back the tears when she sees Margret standing there. She manages to squeak out, "I need help."

Margret's smile is warm and comforting, "I know, Hon. I know."

The door slowly closes behind them.

THE END

Author's Page
Return to the Academy