Living In the Past Book 2

Chapter 5:

What a Predicament

By Xenamungrrr

 

“Ow!” The man complained as his wound was stitched on one of the cots in the healer's hut. “Shit, woman, I could do a better job if you'd untie my fuckin hands.” Then as an afterthought: “Do you girls drink around here, or is that too much of a man thing?”

Varia sighed at the prisoner as the healer tended to him. He'd done nothing but joke and berate since he'd arrived in camp. She paced back and forth in front of Khepri and Sarah.

“What was your name again?” She asked, losing patience.

“Arsen.” He said.

“Arsen, I want you to tell me exactly what you were doing on Amazon territory today.” She said.

“Ah Zeus, this again.” He growled in frustration. “There's a pretty large group of slavers that came into the area about a month ago. They need slaves. However, they sure are some lazy sons of bitches and don't want to do the work themselves. So they said that if I brought them some slaves I'd get to live and keep my home. Just one more instance in my life where I have to deal with a bunch of shit that has nothing to do with me.”

“Why did you choose the Amazons?” She asked, anger tempering her voice.

“Well you're prices have gone up here lately.” He explained. “Something about people disappearing in your woods. You've got all the locals thinking you're these super warriors and they don't want to come near you. I can get rid of the slavers twice as fast if I give them Amazons instead of regular people.”

“And he would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky kids.” Sarah said, not caring that no one would understand.

“What are the chances of us being attacked again?” She asked, ignoring the girl's comment.

“I'd say pretty good.” He answered. “They told me that they wanted at least ten Amazons before they leave to trade and they've only got one so far.”

“They have one of our sisters?” She asked; fury in her voice.

“That's what they told me.” He said, annoyed he had to say it twice.

“Where is their camp?” Varia said after violently grabbing him by the shirt and dragging him to his feet.

“First of all they don't have a camp, they have a fucking makeshift fortress, and you and your tribe are never gonna get in there from what I've seen of your forces. And second of all, you don't have to do all this macho shit to get me to answer your questions. You girls are supposed to look down on that remember.”

Sarah couldn't help the chuckle that came out of her mouth. She wondered if Arsen was really as ballsy as he seemed, or if he was just plain nuts.

Varia was not amused. She slammed him up against a wall so hard the entire structure shook a bit.

“Or not.” Arsen said with a laugh.

“You listen to me; I don't want any more of your lip.” Varia said. “You were caught trespassing on Amazon territory with the intention of kidnapping one of my subjects. The only reason you aren't dead right now is because I need more information out of you.”

“Really?” He said sarcastically. “Wow, when you put it that way it really makes me want to tell you everything I know.”

She growled and forced him to the ground and walked toward the door.

“Have Ava torture him for an hour.” She calmly said to the guards. “We'll see how reluctant he is to talk after that.”

As they bowed and grabbed the man by the arms Sarah's eyes grew wide with disbelief.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.” Sarah said to both the guards and Varia, neither of them halting.

They took off in two different directions, so she decided to follow the Queen as quickly as possible with Khepri at her heels.

“Varia.” She paused, and then corrected herself. “Queen Varia, when you say torture what exactly do you mean?”

This made Varia respond with a quick laugh. “Surely with all your worldliness you know what torture is, Sarah. Ava will make sure he suffers a life sustaining amount of pain so we can get the information we need.”

“You can't just do that to the guy.” Sarah said, immediately knowing how wrong it was once it left her mouth.

Varia stopped and swiftly turned to meet her gaze.

“What I meant to say, honored Queen, is that the torture may not even work.” She looked to the ground with as much deference as she could muster. “I understand that it can be very persuasive, but the prisoner has so far shown an aversion to fear tactics. Perhaps we could try another angle.”

“And what would you suggest, foreigner?” Varia crossed her arms. “Dazzle me with your superior intellect in these matters.”

Sarah clenched her jaw, but continued to look at the ground.

“If we were to offer him his freedom in exchange for help in taking down the slavers we may have a better chance of saving your subject. He doesn't seem very fond of them.” Sarah said, knowing this was probably not what the queen wanted to hear.

She was right.

“His freedom!” Varia growled. “That man came on my land and tried to kidnap my subjects. You think I can just let him go?”

“While he was on Amazon land, he technically did not attempt to kidnap any Amazons. Khepri and I are not a part of your tribe.” Sarah tried to reason.

“Exactly!” Varia said. “My subjects wouldn't dream of questioning my authority in this matter.”

“But Queen Va …” She was cut off.

“This conversation is over. The prisoner will be tortured, questioned and killed in that order. Another word from you and you can join him.” She threatened.

Sarah was livid enough to try to speak again, but Khepri grabbed her by the arm.

“You aren't gonna do him any good by getting locked up.” She whispered. “We'll figure out a way around this.”

Sarah clenched her jaw and said nothing as Varia shot daggers with her eyes before turning to leave. As the two women were left standing there Sarah shook her head in anger and Khepri looked at her quizzically.

“I do think your argument makes sense, but why are you so opposed to him being tortured and killed?” She asked. “Had he captured an Amazon they wouldn't have been left with any life worth living.”

“Torture is wrong, Khepri.” Sarah said as calmly as she could. “Plus it's not as if he's the slave trader. He was just doing what he had to in order to save his life. And if you look at it logistically he would have been saving more lives by handing over some of the Amazons.”

“You seem to have a soft spot for him.” She said, somewhat jealous.

“I just don't think he's a bad guy for wanting to save his own life.” Sarah said, and then offered up another excuse when that one didn't work on the woman. “I like playing devil's advocate.”

Khepri furrowed her brow. Sarah was, quite possibly, one of the strangest women she'd ever met.

“Talk to Eve.” She said.

“What?” Sarah asked, completely confused.

“Eve will agree with you.” Khepri said, and then smiled mischievously. “And she's sleeping with the queen. I don't know how many relationships you've been in, but the object of one's affections usually holds more clout than a meddlesome foreigner.”

Sarah smiled.

“Beautiful and smart.” She said before kissing Khepri on the cheek and running off to find the Messenger.

Arsen's hands were tied and hung above his head on a hook while he waited for the Amazon to enter the room. There were various whips, restraints and other torture devices hanging from the walls.

“Well this outta be fun.” He said to himself.

Arsen was no stranger to pain. Being bucked from the horses he tried to break had given him more permanent injuries than he could count. But he'd be crazy to think this was going to be a pleasant experience.

The door to the hut opened for the first time since the guards had secured him and a small, but capable looking Amazon entered. She was short, with a tight body and a cute face. If they'd been in a tavern instead of a torture chamber he would have bought her a drink and tried to find out more about her.

“You must be my new friend, Ava.” He said with a smile.

“You must be the pig that wants to capture our sisters and sell them off to slavers.” She quipped and smiled back. “How do you know my name?” She asked.

“I pay attention. And the word ‘want' isn't exactly accurate in this whole ‘kidnapping your sisters' situation. I never wanted to put up with this much shit just to stay alive and keep my land.” He said flippantly as she moved closer to ensure his restraints would hold. “Man, you smell good. You must be one of those Amazons that bathe more than once a month.”

She hit him hard across the jaw with a closed fist, causing his lower lip to bleed.

“You're going to make this a lot easier on me.” She said with a smirk.

“Well, I do aim to please.” He said. The punch had not knocked the grin off his face.

She studied him. His confidence was impressive, but it wouldn't last much longer.

“Since I'm under no orders other than to make you feel pain for the next hour I should probably make up a game plan.” She said aloud as she paced; trying to let the gravity of the situation set in on him.

“It's always good to think ahead.” He joked yet again.

“I think a gag is in order first.” She said.

His main defense at this point was acting as if he had some kind of control over the situation by making light of it. She would be sure to put that to an end.

“You want me to what?” Varia reeled.

“Stop torturing that man that Sarah brought in.” Eve stated plainly. “And sooner rather than later.”

“Eve, I don't know what that brat Sarah told you, but that man tried to capture my subjects and sell them into slavery.” The queen explained. “AND he knows the whereabouts of one of our kidnapped sisters. One hour of pain is the least of his worries.”

“That's right, I heard you plan to execute him as well, but I plan on fighting that later.” The Messenger said. “Right now you have to stop the torture.”

Varia was taken aback by the messenger's condescending tone. I am getting really tired of people telling me how to run my tribe. She thought as she stood to defend her pride.

“I am the Queen of this tribe.” She said, anger rising in her voice. “I answer to them, not to you.”

Eve looked visibly stung by the words as her eyes lowered to the floor and she started to back out of the hut. The gruff dismissal stung.

“Of course.” She said; half angry and half hurt. “I'm sorry, I forgot my place.”

Before she turned to leave the hurt in the Eve's eyes caused Varia's mood to turn from anger to fear. She moved quickly from behind her desk and grabbed Eve gently by the wrist.

“Eve wait, please don't go.” She said as the messenger returned her gaze with a thin layer of mist in her eyes. “By the gods, I am so sorry. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that; I certainly don't feel that way. I just have so much on my plate right now. I don't know what's gotten into me. Either way, I shouldn't be taking it out on you.”

Eve studied her and truly believed she was sorry. Varia looked tired and stressed, which the Messenger couldn't blame her. She was now dealing with immortal beasts on one side of her and slave traders on the other. Eve decided levity was the best way to break the tension.

“Trying to argue with Sarah could put Eli on edge.” She said with a soft smile. “I understand what you're going through Varia. You have a lot on your plate right now and answering to some know-it-all outsider is not helping.”

She stroked the queen's chiseled features and was rewarded with a small smile.

“I have to deal with all of these unpleasant issues right now, when really all I want is to leave this place and do nothing but be with you.” The Queen said.

“That's yet another item on your plate.” Eve said with a smirk. “I just want you to try not to miss the forest for the trees here. As much as I want to agree with you on everything I do believe Sarah is right about this. That man is more useful to us alive than dead and he's much more likely to work with us if he hasn't been tortured by one of your capable subjects. Let Sarah handle this. She may not seem like she knows what she's doing, but I promises you her heart is in the right place. She cares for your people, Varia, and against all odds she hasn't let me down yet.”

Varia sighed and looked away for a brief moment before coming back to the entreating eyes of the Messenger.

“I'll give her one week.” She said reluctantly. “If she can deal with both him and the vampires in that amount of time I will personally admit I was wrong and make her an honorary Amazon to boot. But if she doesn't…” Her eyes were serious as she forced the Messenger to meet them. “…I need you to support my decisions. I don't want to fight you while I'm fighting two enemies.”

“You already have my support, Varia.” Eve stated seriously. “Now, you also have my approval.”

Varia chuckled at the statement. What have I gotten myself into? She thought.

“Let's get to Ava's hut. She's probably already started in on him by now.” She said.

As the exited the hut they saw Sarah and Khepri leaning against it, trying to act as if they hadn't been listening in the entire time. Sarah was even whistling.

“He's yours for a week, Sarah.” Varia said sternly. “In one week I want my subject out of the hands of those slavers and the vampires gone from the land. If you can't deliver on that, we do things my way.”

“I'll figure it out.” Sarah assured her, and then bowed. “Thank you, Queen Varia.”

Varia almost believed she was sincere. “The prisoner will be released into the jail and you will be free to see him whenever you like. IF he gives us information that helps ensure the safe return of our sister his life will be spared. If not, I will carry out the death sentence myself.”

“Understood.” Sarah said.

Varia nodded. “Now if you'll excuse me, I have a torture session to cease.”

Eve remained with Sarah and Khepri as they all watched the queen walk away.

“One week.” Khepri said, skeptically. “I hope you're good at performing miracles.”

“Sarah…” Eve searched for the proper phrase. “…Pulls them out of her ass all the time.”

Khepri furrowed her brow in confusion as Sarah clapped the messenger on the back.

“You get better and better every day.” The time traveler said.

Sarah wanted to get to the jail to speak with Arsen right away, which left Khepri with a small amount of time to herself. She needed to use it wisely, so she decided to leave camp and have a chat with Asteri. They would not have time to plan out a strategy, but at least he would not be in the dark about the ambush Sarah had planned.

“Hey Khepri!” She heard Rah's voice coming from behind her and growled softly before turning around. She didn't have time for this.

“Where ya goin?” Rah asked. “Dinner will be served soon and it's about to get dark. You don't want to be in the woods with those things running around.”

“Just needed a short walk to clear my mind a bit.” She said sweetly. “It's been a long day, but I won't be gone long, I promise.”

“Ok, but just in case, take this with you.” Rah said, handing her a stake. “You never know right?”

Khepri looked at the stake only for a few seconds and let the irony of the situation rush over her. A human handing me a stake .

“Thanks.” She said before walking away. “I owe you one.”

Once out of sight she raced through the forest at top speed. The fastest animal in all of Greece would have been left in the dust of her momentum. She only slowed upon entering the cave then briskly walked to her brother's chamber. He was asleep in his bed with his little pet at his side.

“Asteri we need to talk.” She said, sternly.

He shot up like a bolt of lightning and gasped. “Khepri, you must start to refine your manners. You don't just sneak up on a person while they're sleeping and demand their attention.”

“Asteri we need to talk, please .” She said, emphasizing the last word.

He rolled his eyes and moved to put on a pair of pants before addressing his bedmate. “Sirena, be a dear and leave us for a moment.”

The young vampire eyed the older woman with annoyance as she walked past, but Khepri did not notice.

“And to what do I owe the pleasure of your company today sister?” He asked sarcastically as he searched for a shirt. “You've been away dallying with the Amazons and from the looks of it, haven't fed the entire time. Shall I assume your cryptic plan to bring them down has failed and you've now bored of the notion? Because things around here haven't been exactly chipper. We've lost two of our group.”

“Asteri, I know about Damon and Talos, but I don't have time for your theatrics.” She growled. “Right now I need you to listen. The Amazons know about the vampires now. They know what they are and how to kill them and they're planning a daylight attack.”

His eyes grew wide and for the first time in a long time he felt an emotion he thought impossible to ever again feel: fear.

“Do they know about us?” He asked.

Khepri stared at him in amazement. After all they'd done to create a pack he still could only care for his own well being. She sighed and shook her head; there was no time to chastise him.

“I don't think so, but I can't be sure of it.” She said. “The important thing is that we know what's about to happen and we have a chance to stop it.”

“When do they plan to attack? What do they plan to do?” He asked.

“They plan to find our nest and use mirrors to reflect the sunlight in. But we have a few days before that happens because they don't have the mirrors yet.”

“Then we must descend upon them tonight!” He said, jerking a shirt on. “There's no time to waste. You've been invited into their camp; you should be able to get the rest of us in.”

She placed a hand on his chest to stop his pacing.

“We're not going to do that, not just yet.” She said calmly.

“Are you mad?” He shouted. “If they know about the vampires they may know about us; a way to kill us!”


“Keep your voice down, you child.” She said angrily. “Do you want the entire cave to know what's going on? What a marvelous idea it would be to fight the Amazons four to one while our smaller numbers are in a panic. We'll lose all of them within an hour.”

“Then what do you suggest we do?” He asked; his voice lower, but still frenzied.

“You will do nothing until I say.” She said. “I have to think this through. I just wanted you to be ready. No hunting for the next few nights. We can't risk losing anyone else.”

She started to walk away, but his voice stopped her.

“And what shall I tell them, hmm?” He asked. “That they're not to hunt because we'd like them to practice a little self restraint?”

She paused, and then spoke firmly before leaving hastily.

“Tell them we need them hungry and angry. They'll soon need it for a fight.”

“Right, that should go over well.” Asteri said to an empty room as he fumed over being treated like a child.

“So you're telling me that if I help you get the Amazon out of the slavers hands the queen won't kill me, but I will have to make sure to dodge the slave traders that have already threatened my life?” Arsen said to Sarah from within the prison walls.

“That's the gist of it.” She answered.

“Now let's say I trust the word of this Amazon, which I don't, but just for fun we'll go along with your scenario. If I'm set free I'm probably going to be killed by the slave traders seeing as how they're probably going to recognize me if I'm hauling away one of their products.” He explained. “What's in it for me?”

Sarah looked at him quizzically.

“First of all, she's a person not a product. Second of all if you don't help me out on this you will certainly die. Coming out of this situation with your life is what's in it for you.” Sarah said. “Not to mention a hell of a lot less time with Ava, mistress of pain. I mean, I know you can't see your back right now, but that hooker pulled a number on you.”

“What's a hooker?” He asked.

“Derogatory term for women.” Sarah answered.

“How dare you speak that way about Ava!” He said. “You'd find she's a lovely girl if you didn't lose enough blood in the process of getting to know her.”

“Hooker.” He added with a smile and a wink.

“Arsen, I'm being serious here!” She said.

“So am I! Ava can wear the hell outta some leather pants and her eyes have this cute little sparkle to them.”

“Look, I put my ass on the line to save yours and I need your cooperation to do it.” She entreated.

“And that was your decision.” He countered. “The way I see it my life is forfeit either way. I can either die by the hands of the Amazons and do nothing in the mean time, or I can put forth all this effort to save some girl I don't even care about, only to be killed later by the slavers. Unless those guys bite the dust too, I'm not wasting my time fighting them.”

Sarah sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

“Just give me a location on the slavers.” She said putting her hands up and staring at the floor. “I've got the rest of the week to figure out how to resolve this situation and maybe by then you'll change your mind.”

“I'm assuming you've never run this kind of operation, so I'll give you a little slack.” He said calmly. “Bad guys don't usually put up road signs to their hideout. See the law usually doesn't care too much for them so they like to stay hidden. I could no more tell you how to find them than I could talk you through finding a needle in a haystack.”

“Then show me.” She said.

“Ha!” He laughed aloud. “Again, that would be the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid here. Plus I'd love to see you talk those Amazons into letting me loose.”

Sarah put her hands on her hips and sighed. He was right about nearly everything he said. She just couldn't figure out a way to take out the slavers. The Amazon's certainly couldn't afford to lose any numbers with the vampires so close, and it's not as if she could take out all of the slavers herself. Immortal or not, she just wasn't that good in a fight.

Arsen noticed her silence and deduced what it was about.

“Why do you care anyway?” He asked. “It's not like we're best buds or anything; I've tried to kill you.”

“I'm just stupid in the sense that I like everything to turn out ok.” Sarah said before shaking her head and leaving.

Arsen looked down at ground, shook his head and chuckled. “Women.”

As she walked through the camp she caught a familiar call coming from the direction of Zoe's fire pit. The band of vampire hunters she'd thrown together must have been talking shop because there wasn't anyone else around the circle. Their mood was light and jovial, but it didn't help much to brighten Sarah's.

Khepri noticed the melancholy expression that adorned Sarah's face.

“Hey, you alright?” She asked.

“Yeah,” Sarah said, looking over to her. “I'm fine.”

“You don't seem fine.” Khepri countered.

“I'm just tired, I think.” Sarah said, moving her gaze to the ground. “Everything is starting to seem hopeless right now. I don't think I'm cut out for this whole hero thing.”

“Well I definitely think you're wrong about that.” Khepri said. “I happen to believe you're very good at being a hero.”

Sarah chuckled defiantly. “I wish you were right.” She shook her head then spoke again.

“I just keep trying to figure out what Xena or Gabrielle would do in this situation.”

The mention of the bard and the warrior brought everyone out of their conversations to focus on Sarah.

“I mean, in all honesty the chances of actually sneaking that girl out of the slave camp are slim to none. We'd have to fight all of them and just end it. But if we do that we risk losing a lot of warriors. Warriors that we need in case the vampires decide to make some kind of surprise attack. I just don't see a solution to this problem.”

Anthony thought back to one of Gabrielle's earlier scrolls.

“When Gabrielle was kidnapped by the minions of Morpheus she was forced to fight two enemies at the same time and she just let them fight each other. But I can't even remotely figure out a way for us to be in that position.” He said.

“Are you kidding?” Zoe joked. “Just send Sarah to live the vampires for a few days. If she can make the queen change her mind about killing that kidnapper guy, she can certainly talk the monsters into protecting their food.”

Everyone laughed at this statement including Sarah.

“Hey, I can't help being persuasive.” She said, her tone bittersweet. “You know guys, I'm really tired, I think I'm gonna go ahead and hit the hay. Get an early start in the morning and everything.”

Her statement was followed with a few “You sures” “You sucks” and “Good nights” and one “I'm coming with you”. As she looked over to see Khepri standing to make an exit as well; her heart skipped a beat for multiple reasons. Part excitement over the idea of being alone with her, part dread because she knew at some point she'd have to explain her immortality and part anxiety because she was also pretty sure that whole business about their kiss would have to finally be taken care of.

Though the simple nod and smile that she directed at the woman gave away none of these emotions, Khepri could tell that Sarah was unsettled. This made the fact that she grabbed her hand to guide her back to their hut even more interesting.

They reached the structure without saying a word. Once inside Sarah closed the door then gently, but intently, pushed Khepri against it before pressing their lips together. The taller woman bent her head down a little bit to accommodate the small difference in height once she'd fully realized what was going on and started to kiss back. Sarah held her face in her hands as a means to somehow keep herself grounded. She had kissed a number of women before, but this was different somehow. It was as if she could not only feel Khepri's lips against hers, but her energy as well.

Khepri's lust for Sarah's lips was just as powerful as her need for Sarah's blood. She hadn't fed at all that day and all of her senses seemed on edge. She moved her hands to the girls back and smiled softly into the kiss as she detected a soft moan coming from her partner. As she pulled her closer and their bodies met, pleasurable sensations started to close in on her core. It was then that she decided to slowly lick at the soft lips in front of hers; tenderly begging entry that was granted within seconds. The swift submission forced a growl to rise up in her throat. Her hunger was getting strong and she knew that if she didn't stop soon it would overwhelm her one way or the other. She brought the kisses back down to a few pecks before pulling back altogether and resting her head against Sarah's.

But why am I stopping? She thought to herself. It's not like she's not into this. And even if she wasn't I'm pretty sure I could persuade her one way or another.

It was at that moment that Sarah backed off completely.

“God, I'm sorry.” She said. “I shouldn't have just pushed myself on you like some kind of pubescent boy.”

Khepri looked at her for a moment and again thought to herself. That's why I stopped. There's something about her that's so pure… so sweet. I'm starting to wonder if I'm really in control of this situation anymore.

“I guess I just wanted, for one second, to actually be in control of something in my life.” Sarah said apologetically and Khepri's eyes shot up.

“What did you say?” She asked. Can she read my mind as well?

“I can't defeat the slavers all by myself.” Sarah said, moving closer. “And I can't get rid of the vampires without help either.” She raised her hand up to Khepri's face again. “But I did have a choice to overcome my own fear and do the one thing I've been waiting to do since I first met you. I at least have control over showing you how I feel.”

She looked into Khepri's eyes and saw no resistance at all, so she leaned in for one last peck before smiling softly and moving away to dress for bed.

“And just in case my actions didn't spell it out, I want you to know that I like you.” She said as she reached in her pack for a sleep shirt.

Khepri eyes watched the girl move as if she were prey. Every flinch of every muscle was amplified to her as she tried to listen to Sarah's words. She couldn't tell which urge she was fighting more: desire for her body, or craving for her blood. But one of them was making it very hard to be in the same room with her.

When Khepri didn't answer Sarah began to worry that her advances were unwanted. Her heart started to beat faster with fear as she spoke again.

“Of course if you don't feel the same way I totally understand.” She said quickly as she undid the laces to her shirt. “I promise I won't try to kiss you again. I'll even sleep on the floor if it will make you more comfortable.” She finished pulling the garment off.

When she saw the scars everything became more focused. She couldn't imagine hurting Sarah like that. Couldn't imagine biting her and taking her life; if that was even a possibility. All of her longings were focused now and she stepped forward to kiss the young girl's pain away.

Sarah was extremely confused. Khepri still hadn't said a word, but she could hear soft footfalls moving closer to her.

Is she about to strangle me from behind? Surely I didn't offend her that badly.

“Khepri?” Sarah said softly through bated breath. Her heart felt as if it would beat out of her chest.

It pounded louder still when she felt the woman's cold hands gently grasp her sides and quick breaths play along the right region of her neck. Khepri could hear both the girl's heartbeat and breathing increase the closer she got. As she tortured herself mere inches away from the pulse point she too began to breath harder until finally she forced her hunger down and softly kissed the skin that she'd just envisioned ripping apart only earlier in the day.

Sarah gasped and swallowed hard as she felt Khepri's lips trace a line down from her neck and over the first scar that would adorn her back for the rest of her life. Those tender kisses were the most erotic she'd ever encountered. And as Khepri knelt further down to continue her unique healing process Sarah's mind fought to regain control over her body's need.

I haven't even known her a week. I shouldn't feel this strongly about her. And furthermore I should definitely not sleep with her. I'm out of here as soon as everything is fixed in this place. I don't want to leave with any stronger feelings for her than I already have.

Jesus, she's got a really talented tongue.

No! I should stop this. I never planned on having sex with her tonight. I shouldn't let this happen.

Are her hands moving up to my chest?

As Khepri kissed the last of the scars her hands moved up to cup Sarah's heaving breasts and the girl moaned. The noise was one born of both pleasure and frustration and Khepri detected both sounds. She stood up to lean in to Sarah's ear. She couldn't help kissing it before she spoke breathily into it.

“Sarah, I want you.” She rasped. “But we need to stop now if you don't want this too.”

Because I won't be able to if we go any further and, for some reason I can't understand, I don't want to do anything to hurt you.

Sarah took a deep breath and moved away to grab her sleep shirt before turning to address Khepri. The penetrating blue eyes almost undid what she had planned to say, but she held strong.

“Khepri, when I finish things up here I might have to leave.” She said sadly. “And I'll be honest; I like you a lot more than I should after knowing you for only a few days. It's weird and I can't explain it, but I feel it nonetheless. If you were just beautiful and smart and sweet, I think I might be able to just share a few nights of intimacy with you.” She paused and blushed before speaking again. “A few, very hot, nights of intimacy with you.” She amended.

Khepri smiled at this and let Sarah continue.

“But I think that right now I'd just like to get to know you better…” She paused and looked at the ground. “… and maybe hold each other while we sleep tonight?”

Sarah looked up at her with hopeful eyes and Khepri smiled.

“I think that can be arranged.” She said, raising her hand to lovingly push an errant hair out of Sarah's eyes.

Before they even had a chance to move to the bed horns started blaring outside and Amazonian commands were being issued by the higher ranks.

“What the hell?” Sarah said as she moved to the door.

When she opened it all hell was breaking loose outside. She grabbed the arm of one of the younger amazons and pulled her aside.

“What's going on?” She asked.

“Monsters are at the gates.” The girl answered before running to seek out the other children.

“Shit.” Sarah said as she ran back inside to grab her sword then bolted toward the front gates.

“Sarah, wait!” Khepri said; fearful of what her brother had in store.

“Khepri stay back and hide! If they somehow get in, run for safety.” The girl yelled back.

“No!” She growled and followed the mob moving toward the gates.

You said you wanted to get to know me better, Sarah. Let's just hope you like what you find out. She thought. A sense of loss already starting to fill her cold heart as she moved toward a no win situation.

 

While the dark figure moved through the woods the lights of the camp started to come into view. As did an angry mob positioned just outside the gates. A smirk appeared on her face and a quiet chuckle filled the air before she unsheathed her sword.

“Sarah, my friend, what have you gotten yourself into this time?” Rada said to herself as she moved stealthily to the rear of the camp.

To be continued…

Return to the Academy