THE RETURN OF CECROPS

 

DISCLAIMER:

 

          I claim no rights to Xena, there is no monetary value exchanged, no connection with the studio - I don’t know them and they certainly don’t want to know me. If two women together isn’t acceptable to you please move on. If I had to summarize XWP in one word it would simply be - “interpretation.” Xena and Gabrielle have been created for us to enjoy so how tantalizing is it that we get to explore the Xenaverse with them. This is my 3rd story, I hope you enjoy it.

Gerald Pavano

pavano@snet.net

 

Summary:

 

          This story is based on season two “The Lost Mariner”

Xena and Gabrielle leave their secluded home near the Bacchae forest in search of a new adventure. They find it in a hidden seaport where they observe sailors staring anxiously into the mist rising from the water - but what are they expecting? And what of Cecrops - after Xena and Gabrielle liberated him from Poisiden what became of him? Would he ever find peace or will he seek revenge in his new life. With his mysterious craft, will he with the help of Xena, Gabrielle and the Amazons be able to liberate the island of Ikaria from the slave trader King Ellias? Gabrielle needed someone to oversea the Telequire tribe in her absence. Is Meslena capable of defending the village if attacked by the slave traders?

 

King Ellias:

 

          Supposedly blessed by the gods, the small yet beautiful island of Ikaria sits in the Aegean Sea 230 km from Athens. Built on a hilltop, sits the old fortress of Drakanos. It originally sponsored religious rites dedicated to Eileithyia, goddess of childbirth, but now was the home of the ruler King Ellias. The King was a ruthless tyrant, slave trader and despised by his people. In his chamber, he addressed his number one. “How many!” demanded the King “None King Ellias, answered number one.” “What! You fool I gave you two of my best war ships and you bring me back no slaves to help complete my temple?” “Sire, our ships were attacked by this enormous “thing” which rose from the depths and sank our sister ship only to disappear again. The sailors say Poseidon himself cursed us and sent out the sea monster Scylla to attack us.” “Nonsense, exclaimed the raving King, “I have no room for cowards and failures number one.” In an instant a blade from the sires coat slid into the sailor’s belly and with an upswing spilled the hapless sailor’s intestines on the mosaic tile. Bug eyed with blood spilling from his stomach and mouth, the unfortunate wretch fell back against the wall ripping the hanging tapestry and then crumpling to the floor in a bloody heap. “Lesson learned number two - do not fail me!” “But sire,” answered a panicked  number two ”There remains but few slaves left on our island.” “Then by Hades” exclaimed the King “Attack the mainland of Greece, also we need women to repopulate and work the fields. What about the Amazons I heard tell about.” “Sire, they are a vicious bunch and hard to capture and control.” “All the more reason to seize them number two, here they will work hard under my whip.” Bowing, “We will leave at once my King. We will scour the mainland and go to Thrace and hunt down the Amazons.” Waving number two off with an icy glare “You already know the consequences if you fail, see to it then.”

 

Discovery:

 

          Two figures and a horse appear out of the mist and round the top of a grassy knoll. There meanderings had taken them south towards the coast. Gabrielle, inquisitive as ever, “Xena, do we know where we’re going? The answer was in unison “Gabrielle, do we ever know where we’re going?” “Yea, yea,” answered the bard  “I got it.” They stopped and scanned the lush green valley below. “Gabrielle can you smell it!” “Xena, smell what?” ”The sea Gabrielle the sea!" "Xena, you know we, well I, don't do well with water. Think Poseidon, Cecrops the lost mariner, being trapped underwater. I mean Caesar tried to sink us and oh yea, the sea sickness - great fun!”  Xena in her sweetest voice, tinged with a bit of sarcasm, and cocking her head back and forth "Is my love afraid of a little sea sickness or maybe having to eat octopus again." Leaning into her bard Xena whispered “As I remember it was a great aphrodisiac." "That we don't need at the moment" exclaimed her mate as she reached up and planted a solid kiss on Xena’s lips, lips that are committed to only her warrior. Looking out at the horizon, “Xena, I see a wiff of smoke, it appears to be coming from - is that a port? ” “Sure looks like it come on," Xena urged, "Lets go down and check it out.” Gabrielle swung her birsa over a well toned shoulder, sotto voce " Here we again - down hill." And it was down hill as they trotted down a grassy knoll with Argo in tow towards a hidden but bustling seaport nestled between two rocky cliffs. A rather active and secluded port which raised Xena's curiosity. Odd thought Xena, the dock extends out into the water at least 60 meters and is loaded with machinery, supplies, and arms - enough for a major battle. No sense in alarming the bard for any reason - yet. An anxious looking bunch of sailors were also scurrying around the dock staring into the mist rising from the water - but for what, what were they expecting to see?

 

Meslena:

 

          The couple had left their secluded home hidden near the Bacchae forest and their first stop would be the Amazon village. Gabrielle was well aware that her soul mate was ready for another adventure as Xena had quipped that they were getting soft. The Amazon princess had to admit to herself that even though she was content with the home she always dreamed of for her and Xena, she too was ready once again to follow her mate wherever that path may take them. Upon entering the village, they received a warm welcome from the tribe. Since they were not sure how long their journey would be, it had been decided ahead of time that the tribe would be left with Meslena in charge.

          Meslena was also a member of the Teaquire Amazon tribe. The warrior was tall, stalwart, exotic and her features suggested a nordic heritage. She, like her nordic past, was fast, agile, courageous, extremely vicious if necessary and if she did indeed come from a Viking heritage would have made a formidable shield maiden. A long sword and accoutrements hung low on her hip along with a sharp dagger hidden inside her breast plate which added to her mien. Her sturdy physique was accented by her trade mark - a long blonde braided tail which hung down a tanned, well formed muscular back. Xena had taken Meslina into battle against the Romans and trusted the amazonian and looked to her as a devoted and trusted ally. She was quite fond of her and even Gabrielle had to admit that the warrior would do well with the tribe in her absence. Also, she had Skyla a close companion and although a bit younger, was a worthy fighter in her own right and totally devoted to the nordic warrior. They made a formidable team together. To Xena’s delight, the word was out to other tribes and local bandits, you don’t mess with Meslina and that included a very faithful Skyla. Gabrielle felt content as the tribe, for once, was not being hunted and seemed to be at peace with no promise of future threats - so she thought. The visit was warm, welcoming and short lived as the warrior and princess were anxious to get underway. As Meslena watched Xena and Gabrielle ride off together, her eyes fell, thinking out loud “ How wonderful it would be to have that relationship in your life.” Skyla, with a beguiling look, whispered ”Maybe you should look a little harder.”

 

Unexpected Reunion:

         

          Xena and Gabrielle cautiously made their way towards the hidden port when suddenly two giant water spouts approximately 30 meters high sprayed the dock. Out of the mist surfaced a dark black hull with a pointed long narwhal type snout outlined with a greenish glow. Fascinated by this apparition, Xena knew they were being watched and stalked by a dozen of the sailors. She motioned to Gabrielle that they should allow themselves to be captured, after all, how else to figure out who these men were and what they were up too. While being ushered into a small yet clean cell, a tall dark figure rose from a hatch attached to the outside housing of the hull. Followed by what looked like slaves, the tall figure entered the doorway where the couple were being held. “Who and what are you!” as Xena approached in a menacing fashion. The shrouded figure spoke in a dark low voice ”Hello Xena, Gabrielle.” Xena hesitated  - that voice, why did it sound so familiar. As the figure removed its hood Gabrielle was quick to speak up “Who, wha - is it really you?” “Yes, Cecrops the mariner, do you remember -  tall, dark, and cursed! I owe you this new life for what it’s worth.” Xena observing the surroundings, “What, so you could continue on land as a slave trader?” Cecrops laughing, “Look at me, one must make a living now that I can walk on dry land and age, I even have greying hair. My life is now what I make it to be.” Xena had heard enough, frustrated, she pulled her sword and in an instant it found its way less than an inch from Cecrops’ neck. As he dodged the thrust, Gabrielle instantly reached down and went for her sais. Lifting his hands in self defense, “Whoa Gabrielle, we have a major misunderstanding here.” Gabrielle was quick to respond “Not as I see it, we saved you,” remembering the time when Cecrops had suffered the ilk of Poseidon banishing him from land and forcing him to sail for eternity. Cecrops continued, “Are you willing to send me to Tartarus without hearing me out?” “If that were the case” broke in Xena, “You would already be on Charon’s boat and on your way to the dark land.”  Gabrielle couldn’t understand, “How could you enter the slave trade when “love” set you free?” Cecrops, in order to end the confusion, responded ”You misunderstand, I vowed to free the island of Ikaria, which has been a slave trading island and is now ruled by the despot King Ellias. He has killed and tortured many. You of all people Xena should understand.

          At that moment, Hermeus, the first mate rushed in. “Beg your pardon Captain, our spies tell us that three slave ships have set sail from Ikaria.” “They’re not slaves but spies?” asked a curious Gabrielle. “Of course”  answered Cecrops, “The slaves that King Ellias rules over are our eyes and ears. Did you think we were selling slaves? This is our base camp, hidden away and unexposed until now.” Gabrielle questioning “But how could you afford - Ah yes, of course the emerald!” “Yes Gabrielle, it was worth enough for me to finance this whole operation and my undersea boat.” Continuing her questioning, “An undersea boat? but surely the knowledge needed to construct”  “Carrier pigeons” interrupted Cecrops, “that we captured from a pirate ship have become my connection to the outside world. Over hundreds of years I have gathered technical information, designs, drawings and have studied scholars from Greece and as far away as Jappa and Chin for this one purpose.” Tapping his head, “Thanks to you Xena, when I broke free from Poseidon’s curse,  I had all my plans up here in my head. It is in this hidden cove we had parts brought in from various countries and my crew and I, over time, assembled the “Terai.” A surprised Gabrielle broke in “That was the name of your lost love.” “Yes Gabrielle, I will carry her in my heart forever - that, you could never comprehend.” “Oh yes, yes I can” giving a warm glance at Xena. “Perhaps you two will join me in fighting this brutal tyrant.” Xena being impatient “Enough of this. You expect us to sail with you in that thing out there?” With a wide gesture “Come aboard my undersea boat and while my crew tends to Argo and restocks our supply ship, I’ll show you a wonder of the ages.”

 

The Boat:

 

          The boat had a steel hull and was approximately 60 meters in length. There were two hatches, fore and aft and a moderate sized crystal embedded in the deck. Entering the forward hatch, the trio took a circular staircase and found themselves faced with a marvel of gears, wheels, gauges and assorted machinery. There was a metal chair seated in front of a large wheel for steering. Here the first mate would sit and with a voice tube which extended to the top of the hull, would await Cecrops s orders. Heading aft there was a small state room with a desk loaded with designs, maps and charts. In the middle of the hull was a long extension tube that could be raised and lowered. This provided fresh air to the boat when raised and when lowered it was even with the hull for attack purposes. Cecrops went on to explain that it had been a common belief from the ancients that crystals possessed a certain energy and magical power. “The crystal on deck was mined, in secret, from Mesopotamia. This large gem captures and stores the sun’s rays which in turn powers our pumps, screw, retractable air pipe and light for the green lenses. Tanks are filled with sea water which helps us sink, then we blow the water out to come to the surface.” “Of course the two water spouts we saw by the dock.” observed Gabrielle. “Yes” replied Cecrops “The crystal when fully charged illuminates our green lamps and supplies the power needed to attack a ship. My supply boat simply tows us while the sun recharges the crystal.”Ingenious” muttered Xena. Reaching the stern circular staircase, Cecrops pointed to a small alcove where a section of canvas hung suspended by rope on each end. Here is where you can rest, we will be setting sail shortly.  “This is it” questioned Xena? “Cecrops quipped,”You were expecting one of Aphrodite’s temples?” Always seeking a new adventure, the two agreed to set sail on the underwater boat and make the best of it much to Gabrielle’s chagrin. “Water, why is it always water!”

 

Getting Underway:

 

          While the boat was being loaded with supplies and getting underway, the two had a little time to relax. Carefully balancing themselves on the tarp, Gabrielle curled up as usual under Xena’s breast.The steady heartbeat, the warmth, and the feeling of love and security was home to Gabrielle. But at this moment her mind was on her Amazon sisters. “Xena, I am worried about my tribe. What if Cecrops has other plans.” “Then we’ll take over this tub and protect Meslena and the others.” “With a little smirk for Xena’s benefit “Ah-ah, Meslena, tall, legs that don’t quit, shield maiden, warrior - you know Skyla is in love with her.” In a softer voice Xena explained “And so is she with Skyla but just doesn’t realize it yet.” “Unrequited love, ah yes, sounds like something from our past.” “Really Gabrielle, did I not notice a little extra sway in your step in front of the crew.” “Yea, fighting down sea sickness, real sexy. Xena, when you first met me I was just another village peasant. You gave me the confidence to step outside myself. You gave me self worth I never knew I had. I have come to accept that there have been others before me.” “Gabrielle stop,”interrupted Xena, “We all have a past, it’s what we do in the future that’s important and you have become my future.” Gabrielle could’t resist “My, a philosophizing Xena how unique!” “Please Gabrielle, If you’ll remember, before I met you I was a washed up warlord with a bloodlust for power that Aries at instilled in me. Then I met you. You showed me another way I was  lucky then -  lucky now.” Balancing as best she could, Gabrielle reached over and tried for a fond embrace. Lips barely touched when one of the ropes gave way causing them both to lose their balance. “What in Tartarus!” exclaiming Xena as they tumbled to the iron floor with Gabrielle’s face buried between Xena’s out stretched legs. “Nice love, but this might not be the right time, however, you’re certainly in the right place” - Xena was enjoying the sheepish grin on her bard’s face. The moment was broken as Cecrops, calling down from the upper deck, “Xena, come to the platform you should see this.”

          Bounding up the staircase, Xena grabbed the telescope. “There are three ships out there. - “Can they see us?” “No,” answered Cecrops “We are too low in the water and our air pipe is retracted.” Xena observing the ships “Two are headed towards Athens, the other is veering off towards Thrace.” Gabrielle panicked, “Xena, they are heading towards the Amazon village!” “Cecrops, turn this tub around, they must not reach Thrace.” “Belay that Xena, this is my ship and we will chase down the two leading barks.” “Don’t push me Cecrops, that slave ship cannot reach Thrace.” It was a stand off and realizing there was no use arguing Cecrops acquiesced. “Xena, you and Gabrielle take the small skiff that’s anchored at the stern. Also, I am giving you a homing pigeon. Send me a message when you want us to pick you up - the bird will be our way of communicating as it’s trained to always return to its original cage.”  After piling some necessary items into the little skiff, they unhitched it and paddled off towards Thrace.

 

The Amazon Village:

 

          Reaching land, they headed out together on a well worn path towards the Amazon village. Getting closer, Xena instinctively made an upward hand jester.”Come on down I know you’re up there.” A warrior dropped from a nearby tree - “Halt!  Who goes there and how did you know - Princess Gabrielle?” “Please don’t call me that.” “Welcome, let me take you and Xena to Meslena, she will be glad to see you. Our scouts tell us there is a slave ship heading towards our coast.” “You’re right” Xena motioning ahead, “Take us to the village, they have probably docked by now and are heading this way.” Upon entering the compound they were greeted immediately by Meslena and Skyla. “Welcome back Princess and Xena” rejoiced Meslena “Of course you heard the news, did you bring reinforcements?” Xena handed Skyla a small cage. “A bird, you brought us a pigeon?” Xena, a little annoyed, “I’ll explain later right now gather everyone together.” Skyla, worried, turned to Gabrielle, “What are we going to do.” Gabrielle with a calming tone, “Gather yourself, Xena has a plan, she always has a plan.” Assembling the warriors together Xena explained her plan of action, first to the archers and then to the tree warriors. Xena was adamant “Hold your positions until you see a flaming arrow, that will be the signal to attack. Meanwhile, Skyla I need you to set up a perimeter within the camp. Meslena, you are with me. We must scout ahead and see how many these lowlifes we are dealing with. Is that okay Gabrielle?” “Yes Xena, we haven’t much time. Come Skyla” ushered Gabrielle “I’ll show you what to do.” Looking back Gabrielle felt a little apprehensive as Xena and Meslena, together, made their way back down the trail. On their way Meslena, perhaps a little envious, turned to Xena “It is an honor to be with you, Gabrielle is so lucky that you took her under your wing.” The answer was direct, “It goes beyond that Meslena, Gabrielle is a part of me and I a part of her. I trust her with my life. We share everything together and I cannot imagine my life without her - you your self will realize that someday.” The curious look on Meslena’s face was cut short as they spotted the raiders blatantly walking up the path in a straight line. “Should we attack them Xena?” “No, they’re to stupid, wait until they enter our trap.” They will set up camp overnight and when they move out we will take them.”

 

Cecrops Attacks:

 

          Meanwhile, Cecrops was keeping his promise as he trailed the two unsuspecting slave ships. This was to his advantage as the boats, still heading north, had yet to land. Using the green beam from his boat he would attack them at night and show them no quarter. Later that night on board one of the war ships, panic set in. “Captain, off the port bow, a curious green light rising from the depths and its heading straight for us.” “Poisiden’s curse, hard to starboard” barked the Captain. “Bosun, sound the alarm that thing is going to ram us.” This was a terrifying sight for the sailors as a green glow and two great waterspouts came directly at them. A sailor hanging from the bowsprit flung his spear at the oncoming green glow. It glazed off the oncoming mass with a clang. The panicked sailor leaped to the deck shouting “Captain, the thing is made out of metal!” A moment later a terrible crash and cracking of timbers was heard as the ship was split in two. Sinking, the stricken ship heeled over as the main and mizzen masts were torn from the deck. As the crew jumped ship the masts, rigging, and debris descended on them dragging the doomed sailors down into the depths. Yells and screams of “Help me, I’m drowning, I can’t swim” were heard but as water filled their lungs and the sharks circled smelling death, the cries became fainter and soon all went quiet. The second ship suffered the same fate, a grisly sight ending all in a watery grave. Now that the boat was on the surface, Cecrops, ascending from the forward hatch, stood on deck and with hands on hips stared at the scattered debris. His first mate, Hermeus, would make an attempt ”Should we send a rescue party to look for survivors Captain?” The answer was a resounding” No! They suffer their fate as I have suffered mine. Poisiden can have them all.” Next we will see to Xena and Gabrielle and then the Teria sets sail to the Aegean Sea and the island of Ikaria!”

 

The Fight:

 

          After breaking camp, the raiders again headed warily down the beaten path towards the Amazon village. Number two did his best to keep his rag tag troops in order knowing that if he didn’t succeed King Ellias would have his head. Being overly cautious, he kept reassuring the men that these were scattered Amazon tribes and they could easily be defeated and captured. These men were not battle worn and had never been in combat before. As they treaded up the path towards the village, one of the men pointing upward cried out “Number two, a flaming arrow what could it mean?” That was the last sentence he would ever udder as an Amazon arrow pierced his throat sending him on his back gasping for air. Another arrow caught the man behind him in the chest forcing him to his knees “Ahhh I die!” Instantly the left side of the path was lined with war painted half naked Amazons brandishing arrows and spears. The men froze in terror as half the rank fell. Number two was screaming at his men “It’s a trap, run to the right you fools, head for the woods!” With little concern, Xena calmly turned to Meslena and quietly whispered ”Wrong move!” Vines dropping from the trees were followed by the Amazon tree warriors brandishing swords and spears. It was a vicious one sided attack as the warriors descended on the hapless slavers. Caught totally unaware, blades cut deep and spears found their mark and only a few of the would be attackers survived the onset.

          While the fighting was going on, Skyla looked for Meslena. “Where is she Gabrielle I can’t see her.” She then broke her cover and headed up the path. Gabrielle began yelling “Stop Skyla, get down!” but it was to late. Number two had managed to break away from the pack. In desperation he cocked his bow and with the Amazon in his sights let loose a shaft piercing Skyla under her right breast. The Amazon fell to her knees clutching herself muttering “No, no please no, Meslena!” In a flash a figure flew over dead bodies and with both hands on the hilt of her sword and with a mighty blow Meslena severed the head of number two. The headless body quivered for a moment then crumpled to the ground. A panicked Meslena ran to Skyla’s side and quickly gathered the bleeding girl in her arms. Xena immediately started administering aid reassuring a despondent Meslena that Skyla would recover. With tears in her eyes and clutching the stricken girl to her bosom, Xena knew that her friend finally realized her true feelings for the person that would become the nordic warrior’s life long soulmate. The remaining raiders were rounded up as there was no fight left in them.

 

The Gathering:

 

          Interrogating the remainder of the raiders was assigned to Meslina and Adara. It was learned that they were temple builders and had never before left Ikaria. Apparently, they were neither slavers nor fighters and had been ordered by King Ellias to do battle. Disenchanted and defeated, all they could do now now was morn the death of their friends and relatives who had fallen. The bewildered looks on their faces told the story. Curiously however, relationships started to develop. The Amazons learned of a beautiful island hidden miles off the Greek coast. The men spoke highly of Ikaria, its beautiful beaches, hot springs heated by greek fire, Icarian wine and there was even rough terrain to be explored. The island also hosted a statue of Artemis herself. Some of the Amazon women, including Adara, were intrigued and questioned them further. They admitted that their beautiful island was controlled by the ruthless slaver King Ellias and his obsession, at any cost, to construct a temple honoring himself. Would the Amazons help in liberating their island?

          During this lull, Xena and Gabrielle had been given the special hut held only for the Princess. It contained all the basics and to Xena and Gabrielle’s pleasure, occupying the middle of the room, a large bathing tub. Finding themselves alone, they shared a passionate kiss thinking of the passion that would be forth coming. A sudden knock on the door brought them back to reality as Skyla asked for permission to enter. As their passion cooled, permission was granted. “I’m sorry to disturb you Princess Gabrielle but there is a contingent of Amazons that wish to confer with you.” “Of course” acquiesced Gabrielle, “We will be right there.” Gabrielle gave Xena one of her puppy looks, “I’m sorry.” Xena just rolled her eyes patting Gabs’ butt mumbling “Come on let’s see what they want.” Stepping outside they were surprised at the large group that had assembled. Adara, one of the younger Amazons and known for her wandering spirit, stepped forward. “Xena, we have gathered important information from the captives. Xena couldn’t help herself,”Yea, I heard all about the hot springs and the Icarian wine.” An embarrassed Adara went on, “They want to help liberate their homeland. As history dictates good people ruled by a bad King. They told us the island only has two ports. On the northern side is the capital port of Oenoe and home of the King. He dwells in the old fortress of Drakanos. We can easily slip into the port and fortress under nightfall. On the south side the liberated slaves will travel over the Aetheras mountain range under Cecrops’ command. They would attack from the south and us from the north.” “Us?”questioned Xena, “Yes” answered an adamant Adara “We wish to travel with you to help liberate Ikaria. If this plot fails we are afraid the King will again send his people to hunt us down.” Questioning, Xena asked “Adara, you and some of the tribe are willing to leave your home?” “Yes Xena, some of us seek a better path, as you have said it’s for the greater good.” To Gabrielle’s delight, “Well warrior, how do you like your own words being thrown back atcha.” An exasperated Xena decided not to refute the request. “Gabrielle, release the bird with a note to Cecrops that tomorrow we will rendezvous with his ship. Now let us prepare for the trip.”

 

         

Isolating the Island:

 

                   With his undersea boat, Cecrops wasted no time in disrupting the trade routes around Ikaria. No captain would dare venture near the only two ports convinced that they would bring Poseidon’s wrath upon them. The King was furious. All three of his ships never returned and now the island was cut off from trading with Athens and the surrounding islands. On board the Terai thiswas good news.“Captain,” exclaimed the first mate, “They think we are some kind of serpent.” “Indeed Hermeus,” answered Cecrops, “The King shall learn the truth soon enough who we are. Have you heard from Xena?” “Yes,” answered the first mate “The carrier bird just arrived and Xena has rounded up a good sized army including Amazons. Are we to take aboard women?” “Yes,” was the quick response “They are loyal, ruthless and tough as you will soon learn.You will sail to Thrace with our supply ship and bring them forth.” Finishing with a threatening voice, “Be forewarned Hermeus, treat them well and with respect or you and the crew will find yourselves swimming back to Ikaria.”

 

 Preparing to leave and Private Time:

 

          At the amazon village there were mixed feelings and many tears shed. Some were happy that the village would be saved from future attacks while others were saddened as they were losing some of their sisters. Meslena and Skyla, the latter had quickly recovered from her wound, vowed they would return, however, a small group wanted to stay and help rebuild the island. That afternoon, in typical Amazon protocol which had been handed down through the ages, a funeral pyre burned furiously for the fallen and a feast was held in honor of those who had passed on to the care of Artermis. Included, were those who chose to to help liberate the island. Dancing, chants, and farewell wishes continued through out the day. At one point Adara bent over and whispered in Xena’s ear “All is ready.” Gabrielle instantly perked up “Ready? What is ready!” “Oh you’ll see” answered Xena with a knowing glance at the smiling Adara. “Come Princess I have a surprise for you,” as Xena ushered her towards their hut.

          Opening the wooded door, Gabrielle’s eyes opened wide. Before her in every corner of the room were cardamom candles, known for there aphrodisiac qualities and the tub, which occupied the center of the room, was now filled with hot water and surrounded by lotus blossoms representing strength and purity. An amazed Gabrielle looked at Xena with dreamy eyes “You had this done for us? It’s beautiful!” Xena quickly shedded her clothes, “Come on Gabrielle, let’s get wet.” Gabrielle did the same and the two slipped into a hot scented bath together. Xena rested against the side of the tub and Gabrielle languished between Xena’s legs with her head resting between Xena’s breasts. A soft moan ushered from the bard’s lips as she felt two hands methodically slip up her body,

and caress the soft skin under her breasts. Gabrielle turned and gave Xena a sumptuous kiss on the lips. Turning around and now facing Xena, Gabrielle took the warrior s legs and placed them on her shoulders. She reached for her sais and handed one to Xena. The shaving of the legs was a pre-battle ritual for them. These were their private intimate moments known only to them. Caressing the warriors long legs she slowly, gently, and sensually shaved them removing the dark hair that had grown. She then reached up and carefully trimmed Xena’s glory spot shaving the right side only and leaving the left with side with a tuft of black curls. Brandishing the other blade in a most titillating fashion, Xena did the same with Gabrielle’s legs. Although shorter and muscular, they were a real turn on for Xena. She in turn shaved the bards light blonde leg hair. Reaching down she then shaved the left side of the bards core leaving a blonde patch on the right. This was there private yin and yang known only to them. They also reminisced about the bruises and scars that they had acquired over countless battles. Gabrielle called them badges of honor.

          Adara was very efficient leaving a kylix by the tub filled with a mixture of olive oil and honey. The girls couldn’t resist it as they messaged each other with this glistening mixture starting from the toes and moving seductively up the calves, knees, thighs and eventually covering the rest of their bodies all in a most sinuous fashion. Xena’s desire for her bard had no bounds as she wrapped her legs around Gabrielle’s back and drew her on top maneuvering their bodies so that their cores met. Undulating on each other with their now aroused centers, they developed a slow rhythm. As it built, the two bodies pushed harder and harder into each other. Outside around the funeral pyre, dust rose as bare feet pounded the ground. The Amazons in full battle makeup danced, hooped, hollered - their arms flailing to a mesmerizing hypnotic beat from the drums. It was a sexual symphony and a background for the intense love making inside the hut. As the drums increased in tempo, so did the two lovers. Xena’s legs, moving to the increased rhythm, held their bodies tightly together while Gabrielle buried herself in Xena’s chest. As the drums crescendoed, so did the two lovers crying out their love for each other as wave upon wave overwhelmed them in a fierce melodious climax that only they could share.

          The next day all was in readiness. Gabrielle had previously sent a message to Cecrops that they were ready with a contingent of Amazons and men from the island. The captives were still in awe over what they had witnessed the previous day and a little apprehensive into going into battle with “Them.” After all the goodbyes were said, the group headed out towards the appointed rendezvous. The trip so far had been uneventful and it was decided that they would stop over night and make camp by a quiet stream which seemed to be following them on their journey. Upon settling in under a clear moon lite night, Gabrielle nudged Xena as Meslena and Skyla, holding hands, wandered off in one direction and Adara and Krious from the men’s camp wandered off in the other. Now cuddled together on their blanket and after a quick kiss, Xena nudged Gabrielle pointing to the couples “Told ya” “Uh-huh” was Gabrielle’s answer.

 

Setting Sail:

 

Reaching the appointed landing, the party was met by Hermeus the first mate, where everyone at this time was taken aboard the supply ship. Setting sail, most  of the Amazons had never been to sea before and were miserable and that included Gabrielle. Standing on the upper deck Hermeus gave Xena a poke in the ribs and with a snicker ”Not a very sea worthy bunch are they.” This did not set well with the warrior and in typical Xena fashion grabbed the first mate by the collar hanging him over an open hatch and in a very threatening tone “Listen hear you, distribute the ample supply of ginger I brought aboard, it will help relieve their suffering. Do it!” “Yes, of course Xena my mistake” answered the first mate with a fearful tone. He hastily backed away remembering what Cecrops had told him about upsetting the passengers - with visions of being tossed overboard he knew it would be a long swim back to the island.

          With a steady wind filling the boat’s sails Gabrielle and Xena, leaning on a wooden railing off the main deck, gazed out over a smooth placid ocean. The sun was setting casting streaks of orange across the sky. To their delight, pacing themselves with the ship’s speed and course, pods of dolphins and whales playfully splashed around the boat’s bow. They appeared to be guiding them towards their destination. Gabrielle, still harboring concern for the future of the tribe, leaned into to her mate. “Xena, once again our village is being threatened - it never seems to end.”  With the orange glow dancing around her face and playing off her golden hair, Gabrielle looked radiant, however, Xena couldn’t miss the concern in her eyes. Putting her arm on Gabrielle’s shoulder and with a gentle squeeze, “We will eliminate this King, who ever he thinks he is, once and for all.” Adding with a soft smile “I’m sorry that we had to set sail to do it.” Gabrielle, trying to keep a positive note and using the pinch and the ginger to help quell her stomach, harkened “Hey, as long as there’s no eating of octopus involved I’m all in.”

 

 

The Battle:  

 

          Before setting sail, Cecrops had instructed his men to load the supply ship with arrows, swords and spears which would be used to arm the slaves. Upon reaching the island Xena, Gabrielle and the Amazons were dropped off at the north shore, which was closest to the capital and the fortress. With the help of one of the spies, they made their way to the back entrance to the castle and waited. Cecrops, landing on the south shore, met up with the slaves and armed them as they would attack the castle from the front. When in position, a runner informed Xena that all was ready. On a signal from Cecrops, hundreds of arrows shot towards the unsuspecting guards patrolling the ramparts. Most found there mark as the wounded and dying left an opening for the slaves to use their ram to break down the fortress wall. The mariner and his makeshift army stormed the inside and fought their way to the entrance outside the Kings quarters. Xena and Gabrielle along with the Amazons attacked the fortress from the rear. The soldiers were taken totally off guard as the pack of half naked screaming Amazons easily slew them where they stood. Before the bodies even hit the ground, Gabrielle, along with Meslena, Skyla and the rest of the  tribe were already on their way to the courtyard to help despatch what remained of the King’s army.

     Once the attack started the King was furious. Refusing to surrender, he ordered his elite guards to protect him at all cost. Outside in the courtyard the slaves chanted for the King’s head. Meanwhile, Xena and Cecrops made their way up to the King s chamber. A surprised glance was all that was needed as Xena, sword in hand and with three vicious blows, quickly took out the guards. Their bodies laid sprawled and bloody on the tiled floor while Xena dispassionately looked on. The King, still in denial, charged the mariner who dodged the oncoming blow. With herculean strength, Cecrops took his spear and bore it into the King’s chest. With his arms and legs dangling screaming “Help me, help me!” Cecrops hurled the flaying King down the courtyard steps sending the body flip flopping over and over landing into the waiting crowd. “Here” He announced ”Your subjects await you.” The crowd, now in a complete frenzy, pounced and tore at the limp body. Meeting up, Xena and Gabrielle stood off to the side. Gabrielle, somewhat shaken at the perversity she was witnessing, turned to Xena, “Is this a good thing?” “Yes, Gabrielle, it is just!” Gabrielle wincing,”I don’t think so.” “Gabrielle, ordinary people become slaves, slaves become liberators, liberators become conquerors, - war-  it’s a never-ending battle.”  Suddenly a small contingent started chanting “King Cecrops the Mariner, King Cecrops the Mariner!” This was picked up by everyone and echoed throughout the island. Xena, glancing at her bard, “Well, it appears as if Ikaria has a new King.”

 

Saying Goodby:

 

          After the coronation, it was time to part ways. Even though Cecrops pleated with Xena and Gabrielle to stay they declined. Gabrielle was sincere, “After all we’ve been through we now have a home that we have created for ourselves, but we will visit” - throwing a desperate look at Xena adding “Somehow.” A thankful Cecrops approached Xena “We will accomplish great things on this island.” Xena, reaching out with the traditional Greek handshake “Cecrops, we know you will.” The new King governed wisely using the knowledge he had gained from other countries over the years. He built aqueducts, roads, hospitals, and built up trade relations with the other islands and the main land. Children were born with an Amazon ancestry. With trade routes opened, dignitaries and families from all over visited Ikaria enjoying the fine Icarian wine, the hot springs and the many recreational areas that were opened to all.

 

Home:

 

          Deep in the outer banks of the Bacchae forest, emanating from a hidden farmhouse a yellow candle glows in the darkness. Gabrielle, curled up by the large stone fireplace located in the center of the living room, is putting the final touches on her scroll. “I sing of Cecrops the mariner, King of Ikaria, a true visionary and friend” and with a final gesture exclaimed “Tetelestai !!” Rolling up her scroll with a feeling of accomplishment and with loving eyes, she turned to her mate “So what do you think of the story my warrior.” “Told only the way my bard could tell it.” answered a smiling Xena. Cuddling together later that night, Gabrielle, speaking in a lazy casual voice “Ah, finally we’re back on dry land and our home,” adding, “Please Xena no more water.” “Some time in the future we should go back and visit the island” suggested Xena.”Yea and how do we get there!” cautioned Gabrielle. Xena, with an unusual twinkle in her eye, “Well,” dragging it out, “The word is he is now working on a flying machine.” ”Fly? Fly? XENA !!!              

         

 

 

 

Back to the Academy