Chapter 10

As the appointed hour drew near, Zafirah rode Simhana out of camp a short distance down the muddy path leading away from the Everdeen estate, then tugged on the reins and guided the mare up into the forested hills. She was grateful the skies had remained clear, for without the pale light of the moon shining along the wooded track she would quickly have lost her way. Eyes wide and bright with eager excitement, Zafirah made her way slowly up into the forests that lay to the south of the monastery, scanning the darkness for any sign of movement.

Approaching her destination she slowed her pace, moving with greater caution as the trees thinned and offered less cover. She halted Simhana and dismounted, tethering the war-horse to a fallen log and marking her location carefully in her mind before continuing toward the shadow of the building on foot. If Dae had made a mistake about the routine of the guards, if she were caught trying to see her Consort like this, it might be necessary to make a quick getaway. With her white coat Simhana was easy enough to spot in the dark forest, so Zafirah wasn’t too concerned about her ability to find her way back in the moonlight…but even so, the consequences would not be pleasant if a guard spotted her and raised the alarm.

Resting one hand on the hilt of her sword Zafirah moved toward the north side of the monastery, her footsteps almost silent across the dewy grasses. There was no sign of any guards, but Zafirah made certain to check around each corner of the building to ensure she would not be surprised by a patrol.

The window along this side of the monastery was impressive; set into the stone walls, the stained-glass panels extended almost floor to ceiling and end to end, and although she knew little of the outlander faith, Zafirah presumed the images depicted were of religious significance. She took another dozen cautious strides along the wall, looking into the dimly lit interior of the monastery…and froze when she made out the single, solitary figure waiting within.

She felt her palms moisten, her pulse rise faster, and every nerve-ending in her skin ache with longing when her eyes fell upon her young Consort. She remembered the last time she’d seen Dae in the Herak encampment…the last time she had held her in her arms, kissed her lips…and promised she would not be late returning to her side. Tears sparkled in her eyes as she rushed forward; when Dae saw her, her whole face lit up with joy and she stepped eagerly up to the window.

Zafirah gazed into the emerald gems of her Consort's eyes, aching to hold her again, to breath her scent and hear her voice…but the cruel glass denied her that privilege. It didn’t matter though. She kissed her fingertips and saw Dae do the same, and as one they pressed their hands against the colorful glass window…separated yet connected in a way no distance could diminish.

So many miles from the comfort of the shifting sands and her beloved El’Kasari, standing on lush grasses dripping with moisture outside a temple to foreign gods, Zafirah felt a sense of relief and peace wash over her; she was home again.

They stood there, hands pressed against the window, their skin so close but denied true contact by the cold, indifferent glass, for several timeless minutes. Dae’s eyes were also misty with joyous tears, her lips stretched into a broad, happy smile. Zafirah absorbed the vision of her young wife, memorizing every line of her face, basking in her presence. Dae’s long blonde hair was pulled back from her face in a loose braid. Her cheeks were slightly flushed with emotion, and as her eyes caressed her features, the Scion felt her fingers trace over the glass helplessly, wishing they could experience the warmth of her. Zafirah watched Dae's lips form words she could not hear, but recognized even in silence—Ahlan, aziza.

Dae’s eyes were wandering over her in a similar caress, and Zafirah could almost feel her gaze as a physical touch washing over her sensitive skin. When those emerald gems ventured down the line of her neck to the swell of her breasts concealed by her leather vest and shirt, Zafirah stifled a gasp at the heat that suddenly flared in their depths, ravenous and demanding.

Dae’s smile became feline, predatory…and when she looked back up at her face, Zafirah felt a powerful surge of arousal course through her body at the fierce, aching need she saw stirring in her eyes. White teeth flashed in the dim light as Dae gave her a playful grin, her gaze dropping back to explore her upper body hungrily while her fingers slipped away from the window to trace over her own breasts lightly.

Zafirah trembled with desire, amazed that such a simple look could inspire such excitement in her. She allowed herself to return the intimate perusal, her breathing coming more shallow as she watched Dae’s hands tease along the hemline of her shirt, tugging at the cloth lightly. Emerald eyes locked with her own again as Dae slowly pulled the bottom of the shirt higher, exposing the smooth, alabaster skin of her stomach. The young blonde grinned again, watching her as she lifted the shirt higher still, very slowly, up over the curve of her breasts and over her head, then tossed it carelessly aside.

Zafirah felt dizzy as she stared at the familiar vision of her Consort’s exposed torso, tension coiling in the pit of her stomach. Dae stood there, silently watching her as she soaked in the sight of her body, and when Zafirah finally managed to tear her gaze away from their feast and back up to her face, the hopeful, ravenous expression she saw needed no words to find a voice.

Zafirah swallowed hard; she’d already guessed this was the likely course her meeting with Dae would take, knowing her lover well enough to realize this was the only way they could express their passion while remaining separated. With trembling fingers, she reached for the laces of her vest.

*          *          *

Standing in the meager protective shadow of one of the granite statues flanking the doorway leading into the monastery, Kaylee fidgeted and tried to calm her racing heart. In spite of her trepidation over possibly getting in trouble with Father Douglas, she’d agreed to stand guard again for Dae while she met with the Scion, unwilling to deny her friend’s request. In fact, Kaylee had been finding it impossible to refuse Dae pretty much anything lately…especially since most of her requests resulted in such exquisite pleasure.

Over the last week Kaylee had found herself opening up more and more to her friend, sharing some of her personal dreams and aspirations…such as her desire to one day study herbology and the healing arts, an ambition Dae had not ridiculed or dismissed the way her own brother had. Recalling a few of her experiences from the last week, Kaylee found herself smiling in the darkness. She was still getting used to the somewhat frightening levels of intimacy she shared with her new lover…but everything was just so intense and exciting, and on more than one occasion Kaylee’s desires had been strong enough to overwhelm her modesty so she could play aggressor with the more experienced blonde.

A small part of her wondered what would become of her when Dae returned to the desert, worried at the thought of losing her friend and mentor…but she tried to focus on the here and now rather than on her uncertain future. Nervous and jittery, lost in her own deep thoughts, Kaylee startled when the silence of the hall was shattered by a cold, imperious voice from behind her.

“What are you doing here?”

Kaylee spun around, wide-eyed and terrified at being discovered, already stammering to offer an excuse…but she froze when she was confronted by the icy, impassive figure of Lyric. The statuesque blonde was standing under the light of one of the sconces mounted on the wall, arms folded sternly over her chest.

“I-I wasn’t….I mean, I was just…I-I-I don’t…” Kaylee stammered, finding it impossible to convince her tongue to form an actual sentence.

Lyric glared at her, then to the slightly ajar door leading into the monastery. “You shouldn’t be here, Kaylee,” she said. “Why are you out of bed at such a late hour? You know the rules: no wandering about after light’s out.”

Kaylee struggled to calm herself, taking a shuddering breath and forcing a rehearsed excuse past her lips. “I-I was just…taking a little walk,” she managed to say. “I couldn’t sleep and I thought it might help if I just…wait—” She paused, recovering herself slightly and giving Lyric a surprised, wondering look. “You…you know my name?” The thought that Lyric, so stunningly gorgeous and distant, was aware of her existence on even such a basic level sent a pleasant tingle dancing across Kaylee’s skin.

Lyric’s slender eyebrows drew together in a firm line. “Just answer my question. What are you doing out of bed in the middle of the night?” She glanced at the huge door again. “Who’s in there?”

Kaylee flushed guiltily, but summoned her courage. “No-one.”

Lyric eyed her skeptically, obviously unconvinced; whatever her other talents, Kaylee knew she was a poor liar. “Is it Dae?”

Kaylee swallowed hard and shook her head.

“Kaylee…what’s going on?”

“Nothing. Like I said, I couldn’t get to sleep so I was just taking a walk to clear my mind.”

Lyric’s cool gaze studied her a long moment, then she stepped forward and tried to brush past her. “Step aside…I’ll see for myself.”

“No!” With more assertiveness than she believed herself capable of, Kaylee blocked the taller woman’s path with her body. “No, you…you can’t go in there. I promised.”

Stunned at the display of defiance from the normally meek and passive brunette, Lyric glared at her in surprise. “Do you want me to fetch Father Douglas?”

Kaylee chewed her lower lip and shook her head. “No.”

“Then move aside.”

“I can’t.” Though she was terrified by the chilly expression on Lyric’s face, Kaylee refused to budge…and she felt a spark of pride in herself for facing the taller girl down, every bit as astonished by her actions as Lyric clearly was. Apparently, the recent confidence she’d acquired from her experiences with Dae extended to more than just her sexuality. She lifted her chin a fraction higher. “I promised I’d make sure she wasn’t disturbed.”

Clearly taken aback, Lyric hesitated. “Why? What’s she doing in there?”

Kaylee considered making up a story but decided there was little point. “She’s meeting with the Scion.”

“The Scion? She’s here? In the monastery?”

“No! No, she’s outside.” Kaylee saw Lyric’s expression had changed to one of alarm, and hurriedly explained. “Dae’s not trying to escape or anything like that, she just…she needed to see her wife, so they arranged to meet here between the guard’s shift change.” She gazed imploringly up at Lyric’s stony face. “Please, Lyric…they haven’t seen each other in months. I know you don’t approve of their union, but…please don’t tell anyone.”

For a few tense moments Lyric considered her plea, and Kaylee was just starting to wonder if she would be forced to interrupt Dae’s reunion with Zafirah so they could escape before Father Douglas arrived when the blonde said quietly, “Fine. I won’t call for the guards. But I’m going in there.” Kaylee opened her mouth to protest and Lyric forestalled her words. “I just need to make certain you’re telling the truth—that Dae hasn’t taken it into her head to break out or vandalize the monastery, or anything foolish like that.”

Kaylee faltered, a little dazed from the entire exchange. Just being so close to Lyric, talking with her like this, was enough to make her dizzy. She had absolutely no doubt that whatever Dae was doing beyond those doors, it was certainly very naughty…and wasn’t sure Lyric could be counted on to remain impartial if she saw whatever was going on. Gathering her courage, she met Lyric’s gaze steadily. “You have to promise not to interfere…no matter what.”

Again, Lyric stared at her in surprise…but there was a slight, fleeting glimmer in her eyes that Kaylee thought suggested she was actually impressed by her defiance. After a moment, she nodded. “Very well. So long as Dae isn’t attempting to break out or further antagonize the priests, I won’t report the incident.”

Kaylee flashed a slight smile and shyly allowed Lyric to slip between the double doors and into the dimly lit hall beyond, taking a deep, calming breath before following her.

Lyric was looking around, giving her eyes a moment to adjust to the darkness, and when she shot her a questioning look, Kaylee pressed a finger to her lips to indicate she should be silent. Together they moved into the vast chamber of the monastery toward the far window, keeping to the deeper shadows. Lyric froze when they were about thirty paces from the two figures standing there in the moonlight, and Kaylee nearly bumped into her. They crouched down, hiding behind one of the lines of pews. Kaylee stifled an excited gasp at the feel of Lyric’s body so close to her own…and together they watched the two figures.

The skies outside were clear and the moon was bright, so there was light enough to see the two women clearly. Dae was standing with her back facing them, but looking beyond her, Kaylee’s eyes grew huge as she made out the features of the woman standing on the other side of the window.

“That must be her,” she whispered breathlessly, staring in awe. “The Scion.” She’d seen a few sketches Dae had drawn of the desert ruler, but those images paled to the sight of her in person. Kaylee had never imagined anyone like her before in all her life; women of King Gerald’s kingdom could never exhibit such regal, sensual strength or primal beauty. “She’s gorgeous!” When she glanced at Lyric, Kaylee could tell instantly that she was equally impressed; her glacial eyes were wide and staring, lips slightly parted.

The two women stood with their hands pressed against the glass, simply gazing into each other’s eyes with expressions of deepest joy and love. Kaylee felt a pang of guilt over intruding on such a private moment…and a tiny twinge of something that felt awkwardly like jealousy, seeing her friend and lover with her wife. She understood, of course, that Dae’s affection for her was not binding, for her friend had seduced several other girls in the reformatory since they became intimate…but she also knew that Dae treasured the bond that had developed between them as much as she did herself. Still, the minor hurt was overshadowed when she saw the expression on Zafirah’s face change from adoring to carnal as Dae began removing her shirt.

Kaylee blushed, glancing at Lyric, expecting to see repugnance on her face and ready to quietly suggest they give the two women some privacy…but the words died on her lips when instead she saw a look of eager interest flare in the other girl’s eyes. She paused, wondering, then looked back in time to witness Zafirah removing her own clothes…and the sight of her body, battle-scarred and sleekly muscular, made her gasp out loud. She could only stare, hypnotized by the unfolding beauty, as the tall Scion shed her vest, her shirt…and finally her trousers, revealing every inch of her body to the brisk night air.

Dae was hastily stripping off her skirt, and Kaylee felt heat stir between her legs at the sight of the two of them together…Dae’s pale skin contrasting against her taller partner's sun-bronzed, olive complexion. She managed to look away a moment to see how Lyric was reacting to the sight…and found her staring at the couple in awe. Kaylee may have had only a few weeks’ worth of experience in such matters, but she could tell that the flush of blood coloring Lyric’s cheeks was caused entirely by arousal, not embarrassment or disgust. For the first time since she’d begun exploring her sexuality with Dae, Kaylee dared to wonder if perhaps her friend had been right; Lyric had the look of a woman dying of thirst, gazing at a river of water. Kaylee became suddenly extremely conscious of how close she was to stunning blonde…of the heat radiating from her body. She squirmed slightly, feeling her center flood with a rush of arousal and hoping the object of her lust wouldn’t notice.

Zafirah’s hands began to slowly explore her own body…one rising to fondle her left breast, the other caressing the outer curve of her hip and then moving over her abdomen to tease close to her center. Kaylee could see the Scion’s sex was shaved much like Dae’s, a narrow line of hair remaining over her pubic mound that seemed to intentionally draw the eye lower, to the smooth lips of her labia. Although she could only see Dae from behind, the angle of her limbs suggested she was copying Zafirah’s movements, exploring her own body with the same slow, teasing caresses. Dae had taught Kaylee to masturbate using this same technique, and watching them now was intensely stimulating. The two women moved as one, stirring their passions by playfully mirroring one another’s actions and feeding off the sight of each other.

Kaylee felt her own hands itching to roam as well. Sparing a quick glance to ensure Lyric was transfixed by the spectacle, she discreetly slipped a hand between her thighs, pressing it against her burning center and feeling the pleasure sweep through her.

*          *          *

The night air was fresh and chilly, but it could not cool the feverish heat coursing through Zafirah’s blood as she settled herself into a kneeling position before her Consort, resting her buttocks on the seat of her heels and allowing the fingers of her right hand to finally slide against the blazing furnace between her legs. Dae lowered herself into the same position, still mirroring her actions perfectly, and Zafirah’s excitement only grew as she watched her lover stroke herself with the same languid, unhurried caresses. Those emerald eyes consumed her, the heat in their regard almost making them glow in the dim light with fiery need. Watching every slow, lingering movement of her body, Zafirah saw the tips of Dae’s fingers circle the stiff little bud of her clit, and she readily applied her own fingers to the same task. Dae’s lips were parted, her chest rising and falling with increasingly shallow breathes, and though she could not hear her through the glass, Zafirah could well imagine the quiet, whimpering squeaks of pleasure that escaped her throat. She groaned in longing when her lover lifted her fingers from her core and held them up to the moonlight, displaying the liquid evidence of her arousal. Zafirah again copied her actions, her own fingers slick with her honeyed desire.

A flicker of movement behind Dae’s shoulder distracted Zafirah momentarily from her masturbatory pleasure; in the dim light of the temple interior, she made out two figures crouched behind one of the lines of seats within, hiding in the shadows and watching her and her Consort. Alert to the possibility of discovery and knowing if she were caught it would not be a good thing, Zafirah tensed and her body froze…but when she looked back to Dae’s face she found her smiling.

Dae brought two wet fingers to her lips and made a shushing gesture, shaking her head very slightly, then teasingly extended her tongue to lick the honey from her digits. The playful, mischievous glint in her eyes told Zafirah her Consort was aware of their audience and apparently did not consider there to be any danger, so she relaxed and, after a moment, copied her actions. Her tastebuds were still tingling from the weak sample of Dae’s flavor she’d kissed from Inaya’s lips yesterday, and she wished with all her heart she could be sucking her wife’s honey from her fingers rather than her own…but the sight of Dae tasting herself was more than enough to rouse her passion to greater heights.

When Dae lowered her hand back between her thighs, Zafirah did the same, her gaze darting back to the shadows in curiosity over who was spying on them. She couldn’t make out the details in the darkness, but it was clear there were two female figures hiding back there. Even in the shadows she could see one was blonde and pale—her hair seemed to catch the moonlight and shine distinctly in the darkness—while the other was darker toned. Zafirah guessed it likely one of the two was Dae’s new friend and lover, Kaylee…but the other remained a mystery. When she looked back to her Consort’s face, she found Dae grinning even more playfully…and realized her lover was responding to the thrill of being watched just as she had during their joining ceremony.

Hardly a stranger to showing off for an audience, Zafirah relaxed more fully and returned the grin; if Dae didn’t mind their voyeurs’ presence, who was she to argue?

While her right hand was still stroking over the lips of her sex and teasing her clit, Dae’s left continued running over her upper body, fondling her breasts and fingering the ring piercing her nipple. Zafirah happily did the same, her breasts aching for attention, and she wished she could feel her lover’s lips against her skin. The cool night air coupled with her arousal made her nipples almost painfully hard, and when she tugged at her own marital piercing the sensations arced down her spine like electric fire, making her clitoris twitch in response.

Zafirah had always found the sounds of her partner’s ecstasy one of the most stimulating components of any sexual encounter, and it was pure torture for her to have to watch Dae touch herself like this and not be able to hear her cries rising higher with her desire. She groaned loudly when Dae slid her ring finger between the folds of her sex and into the warmth of her core, eagerly copying her and feeling her inner muscles grip the digit hungrily. But Dae teased her, only stroking into herself a few times before withdrawing the finger and running the slick honey coating it up over her sex and around her stiff little clit. Zafirah whimpered, wanting to continue the deeper explorations but allowing her younger lover to lead this dance. She had played this game with Dae before; she knew her Consort would only make her wait longer for release if she tried to hurry their play to a conclusion…and it was just so delicious to watch those intense emerald eyes fill with lust after months of desperate longing.

Her hips were starting to move in that ancient, instinctive rhythm, rocking back and forth against her wet fingers. Despite the cold night air, Zafirah’s body was soon shimmering under a light sheen of passion-wrought sweat. Dae guided her with her own ministrations, dictated the path of her hands and her pleasure, and Zafirah willingly surrendered to her partner’s direction with utter joy. It was so easy to imagine that her hands belonged to her Consort, and copying the younger woman’s movements only served to heighten the illusion. But seeing Dae again in the flesh after such a lengthy absence made it difficult for Zafirah to rein in her body’s responses, and it wasn’t long before she felt the rising waves of a climax begin to tighten her muscles.

Though she couldn’t hear her sounds of pleasure, Dae’s legs were starting to tremble slightly as her own desires grew more overwhelming, and Zafirah sighed in contentment when she saw her lover finally press two fingers into herself and begin to move with firmer, less teasing purpose. She felt her juices dripping down her wrist as she slipped two long, dexterous fingers into the clinging tightness of her core, not certain she would be able to stop if her Consort decided to withdraw and tease her further.

But it was soon clear that Dae had no intention of stopping; her fingers were stroking herself with ever-increasing intensity, working deeply into her swollen, glistening sex. Zafirah glanced behind her to the two pairs of eyes watching their encounter, and she didn’t doubt her lover was gaining a fair amount of additional excitement knowing they were there. Zafirah was hardly immune to the extra exhibitionist thrill herself, and she didn’t try to minimize her body’s enthusiastic responses to the direct and extremely welcome sensation of her fingers working furiously into her clutching core. She spared a momentary thought for why Dae seemed so delighted over the spies, guessing from Inaya’s tale of her young lover’s recent exploits in the reformatory that she was allowing the two girls to watch in the hope that they would be inspired and aroused by the spectacle…something her Consort would doubtless take advantage of at a later time.

Imagining Dae locked in the throes of passion with another beautiful girl only sent Zafirah’s lust spiraling higher. She fervently hoped her wife would indeed invite this Kaylee to return with them to the desert so she could bear witness to such an act in person…or better yet, join the two of them as Inaya had been fortunate to do. There was a devilish spark in Dae’s eyes that suggested to Zafirah that her Consort had grown even more comfortable with her sexuality since they’d been separated…that the shame and guilt implanted during her upbringing had weakened and died since she returned to her homeland.

Dae’s mouth hung open now in an ‘O’ of ecstasy that was only silent for Zafirah, and from the way her body was tensing and her muscles shaking, it was obvious she was fast approaching the brink of release. Her left hand was clutching her breast hard now, fingers teasing roughly at her piercing, and when she copied the action Zafirah felt her inner muscles spasm around her own questing digits. Dae’s back arched, fingers pumping furiously into her wet depths, the tendons along her neck tensed with anticipation. Verdant eyes dark with desire locked heatedly with her own sapphire gaze, and Zafirah saw her lover’s lips form words she didn’t need to hear to understand: Come for me!

A wave of orgasmic ecstasy tore through her senses as her body obeyed the silent command, her fingers pressing deeply into her tightening, dripping core. Zafirah grit her teeth to keep from crying out loud, but it was obvious Dae wasn’t making any such effort to restrain the sounds of her own climax; even through the thick glass window, Zafirah could faintly hear her muted cries, and they drove her pleasure higher still until she could bear it no longer. Panting, her muscles weak and trembling after the bliss of release, Zafirah stilled the movements of her hand and allowed the last pulsing ripples to grip at her fingers gently. She closed her eyes and tried to calm her thunderous heartbeat, shivering slightly as the midnight air cooled the sweat covering her naked body. Only reluctantly did she withdraw her fingers from her sex.

When she opened her eyes again Zafirah felt another sudden rush of heat warm her at the sight of her Consort once more deliberately lapping the honey from her fingers and hand, watching her with another playful, happy smile. Zafirah chuckled, shaking her head at her Consort’s teasing antics and hoping it wouldn’t be too much longer before she could feel her embrace again. If Lord Everdeen couldn’t be made to see reason soon, she decided, she might have to press the issue more forcefully; after this encounter, her need to feel Dae in her arms and taste her on her lips was more urgent than ever.

Dae made a great show of licking her fingers clean, and Zafirah was helpless to look away, the spectacle enough to bring her body back to an aching arousal she doubted they would have time to appease. She wasn’t bothered, however; it was enough to have shared this experience with Dae…to see her Consort and be with her intimately, regardless of the arousal it inspired. Inaya and Nasheta would be only too happy to attend to her excitement…and Zafirah wondered if Dae would turn to her new friend Kaylee to find satiation herself. The thought only sharpened the ache twisting through her belly.

After a few more minutes recovering from their pleasure, Zafirah and Dae both reluctantly got to their feet and retrieved their discarded clothing, dressing slowly and exchanging more longing looks. Zafirah’s teeth were starting to chatter a little, and she was glad when her body was warmed by the clothing again. Dae kissed her fingertips and pressed them against the window again, and Zafirah did the same…frustrated she could do nothing more to ease the sadness she saw in her wife’s eyes, knowing they must again be parted.

“Soon, my Tahirah,” she whispered in the darkness, watching her mate read her lips and smile gently in the moonlight. A ball of longing swelled in her throat, and she swallowed painfully around it. “I love you.”

Dae gazed at her with utter adoration, and she saw her lips form a soundless reply; I love you, too.

They stayed standing there another long while, neither able to tear herself away, before Zafirah sighed and, with tremendous reluctance, took a few paces back from the window. She gave Dae a final look that promised everything would alright, that they would not remain separated much longer…then turned and walked away. She glanced back over her shoulder as she neared the tree-line, seeing her Consort still standing at the window watching her depart, fingers still pressed against the glass. With a final wave, Zafirah slipped back into the shadows of the forest…helpless to stop the tears that rolled down her cheeks, grateful her lover was too far away to see them.

*          *          *

Crouching in the shadows behind the pew, her body awash with a confusing storm of guilt and lust, Lyric could only stare at Dae and her Jaharri lover in awe. The scene unfolding before her eyes was very different to the one from yesterday; less carnal, but far more intimate and intense. At first the two women seemed content just gazing into one another’s eyes, and the expression of love in Zafirah’s startling cobalt eyes was so powerful, so deep and consuming, that Lyric wondered how Lord Everdeen was still fooling himself into dismissing its existence.

Lyric had met King Gerald a few times prior to her exile to the reformatory, his wife as well, and many of his heirs. She was well acquainted with those of royal and noble blood, but she had never seen anyone like the Scion before in her life. The desert ruler was tall and sleekly muscular, and even in the scattered light of the moon her features were stunningly beautiful. Everything about her spoke of immeasurable strength and self-assurance…but unlike any ruler in the Heartland, she also possessed a magnetic aura of deep, intoxicating sensuality that Lyric found utterly mesmerizing. Watching her strip off her clothing and begin touching herself, copying Dae who was doing the same, Lyric could completely understand how the Scion could command the devotions of a woman like Inaya.

Watching the two women as they touched themselves, mirroring one another’s movements as though each was guiding the other’s hands along their journey, Lyric felt the moistness gather between her thighs against her will. She fought against her arousal, knowing she should leave but unable to tear her eyes away from the spectacle playing out only thirty feet from where she crouched. She heard a faint, subdued moan from beside her and glanced at Kaylee, eyes widening when she saw the younger girl had discreetly slipped a hand under the waist of her skirt and was stroking herself with light, subtle movements; obviously she wasn’t the only one affected by the sight of Dae and her wife engaged in their intimate play. Kaylee shot her a quick look and blushed furiously when she realized her actions had been noticed…but she didn’t pause in her ministrations.

Lyric knew she should scold the girl, demand she stop, that they leave this place at once…but the sight of Kaylee touching herself like this only drove her arousal higher. A vivid memory of what she’d witnessed the girl doing the day before burst suddenly to life in her mind, and Lyric felt her own hands itching to copy Kaylee’s actions.

She focused back on the sight of Zafirah as she lowered herself into a kneeling position on the other side of the window, tensing when she felt those burning sapphire eyes glance in her direction. She had no idea what the woman would do if she discovered them spying on such a private moment, but the stories she’d heard of Jaharri barbarism made her guess it wouldn’t be good. But the Scion made no move to indicate she had seen her, and a moment later Lyric relaxed slightly.

So consumed was she by the sight of the two lovers as they guided their passions higher that Lyric startled when she heard Kaylee’s soft, quiet voice whisper in the darkness next to her. “They’re beautiful…aren’t they?”

Lyric regarded the girl with wary suspicion, realizing her desire was so obvious that even Kaylee had recognized it for what it was. But those sweet hazel eyes were looking back at her without judgment or malice…only a curious, slightly hopeful expression she wasn’t sure how to interpret. It wasn’t like Kaylee was in any position to report her to Father Douglas, so Lyric swallowed the ball of shame in her throat, and gave a tiny nod.

The sounds of pleasure coming from Dae were getting more frequent and enthusiastic, and they were driving Lyric crazy. She was suddenly extremely conscious of the heat emanating from Kaylee’s body so close beside her…could see the girl’s hand moving between her legs less stealthily. The ache in her own center was growing stronger, more insistent. She felt a rush of lustful pleasure burn through her blood when Kaylee looked at her shyly again and said, “You know…if you want to touch yourself, I don’t mind.”

Lyric flashed a shocked look at the girl, amazed she would even suggest such a thing…but Kaylee gave a little shrug and continued unapologetically. “I’m just saying, it feels good…and I can tell you want to.”

It was a struggle to keep her mask of stoic disinterest in place, especially since she could feel the wetness between her thighs had soaked through her lace undergarments in hopeful anticipation of pleasure. Lyric tried to stop the blood from rushing to her face and shook her head at Kaylee’s suggestion. “I can’t.”

Rather than being discouraged, however, Kaylee gave her another tempting, hopeful look and said quietly, “Well, maybe I could do it for you? I mean…if you want me to…I could give you pleasure.” Her cheeks were bright with color, but her hazel eyes were steady and hungry. Lyric’s arousal shot higher at the offer so innocently posed…lost in a momentary fantasy of pushing the girl to the floor, lifting her skirt above her waist and straddling that pretty face. She could watch Dae and her desert lover while Kaylee’s tongue worked to bring her to forbidden and wicked release. Lyric hated the weak part of herself that was so tempted to take the peasant girl up on her offer…felt her frustration turn slightly to anger that her desire was so obvious, but that anger dissolved when Kaylee gave her a timid smile and added, “Dae’s been teaching me lots of new things lately…and she told me I’m getting really good at it.”

Gods, it would be so easy!

The tension in her lower belly had become almost painful; since spying on Dae’s tryst with Kaylee and Inaya yesterday, Lyric had been in a state of highly-charged sexual excitement. But she steadfastly refused to satisfy the wet, rising need between her legs, determined never to give in. She would not allow these lewd urges to compel her to surrender…but Kaylee was obviously willing to satisfy her. She didn’t doubt the girl would be happy to submit to her authority, would likely respond enthusiastically to an assertive command to bring her pleasure.

It took more effort than Lyric was comfortable with to restore her expression to icy disdain. “I can’t,” she repeated, hearing Dae’s sounds of pleasure growing louder and less restrained. “And you should know better than to make such an offer.”

She expected her words would make Kaylee turn away, ashamed…but the girl only gave her a long, knowing look and a fleeting grin, shrugged, and turned back to watching the couple by the window. She was making less effort to conceal her self-pleasuring, apparently confident Lyric wouldn't say anything to dissuade her from her actions.

They continued watching in silence as Dae brought herself to the edge of pleasure, her cries now echoing through the monastery unrestrained. Kaylee was so close to her that Lyric could read her excitement rising in unison with the two lovers…and when they heard Dae’s voice, lustful and demanding, say “Come for me,” Lyric heard Kaylee's breathe catch in her throat…sensed the tremors of a climax rush through her body. Her own center pulsed with eager jealousy, inspiring another fantasy to spring to mind…of grabbing the younger girl by the neck and bringing her face between her legs to satisfy this unbearable ache. She doubted it would have taken more than a few strokes from Kaylee’s tongue to push her over the edge. Hearing Dae climax for the second time in as many days did nothing to cool the fire in her blood…and watching Zafirah surrender to the blonde’s command only stoked those flames higher still.

In the wake of Dae’s orgasm the monastery fell silent, and Lyric heard Kaylee give a shivery sigh of satisfaction as she withdrew her hand from beneath her skirt. Together they watched to see if Dae intended to continue with a second round of self-pleasuring…and Lyric again stomped down firmly on the sense of disappointment she felt when she saw Dae get to her feet and begin collecting her discarded clothing. They lingered in the shadows, however, watching the two women redress and press their fingers against the glass once more…and as much as she didn’t want to, Lyric found herself feeling sorry for Dae.

The expression on Zafirah’s face was haunting and intense, so filled with worshipful love and need that it touched some deep, primitive part of Lyric’s heart.

Remembering what Jonathon had told her of her uncle’s plans to see Lord Everdeen brought to ruin, Lyric bit her lower lip anxiously…realizing in that instant that whatever her own fate may be, she could not in good conscience allow Dae to be hurt for the sake of her family’s ambitions.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a whisper from Kaylee. “We should go. I think they’re finished.”

Lyric looked at the girl, then to where Dae and Zafirah still stood before each other, denied the comfort of physical contact by the glass window…and with an effort she shook away her distracting arousal. She gave a nod, and together they retreated back to the doorway. Turning just before they slipped out of the monastery, Lyric heard Dae’s parting words to her desert lover, “I love you, too,” and felt a flash of anger toward her uncle and his selfish quest for power that now threatened the unsuspecting girl.

Outside in the hallway, she found Kaylee watching her with a curious mix of trepidation and awkward interest…and for a moment she thought the girl was going to say something. But she remained silent, just looking at her, and Lyric, desperately in need of some time alone to process and sort through her tangled emotions, only gave her a brief, curt nod before she turned and retreated back down the corridor toward her bedchamber. Just as she was about to turn a corner, she stopped and glanced back to the watching peasant girl.

“Are you going to tell her?”

Kaylee considered the question a long moment in silence. “Tell her what? That we spied on her…or that you liked what we saw them doing?”

Lyric had regained her composure, and only raised an eyebrow in mild challenge.

Kaylee smiled back at her calmly. “I won’t lie to Dae if she asks me,” she said after a pause. “Her friendship means too much to me. But if she doesn’t…then no, I won’t say anything.”

Lyric considered her words, impressed in spite of herself that the girl had the fortitude to answer so honestly. It was entirely likely that Dae would learn the truth; Kaylee wasn’t the type to conceal a secret with artifice…but Lyric worried about the way her own body warmed at the thought of her learning the truth. She knew Dae would only increase her seductive efforts if she sensed her resolve was crumbling…and the part of Lyric that found that thought appealing was growing stronger very quickly. But she managed to keep her expression perfectly neutral as she looked back at Kaylee for a long moment, then, without a word, she turned away and continued back down the hallway to the welcome solitude of her room.

She stubbornly ignored the temptation she felt to ask Kaylee if she wanted to join her.

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy