Chapter 14

Following Inaya into her father’s audience hall, giddy with anticipation, Dae paused at the threshold and gave her eyes a moment to adjust. Her parents were standing at one end of the long table in the center of the room, but Dae’s eyes passed over them immediately to the tall, dark-haired figure standing beside them. Her lips split into an enormous grin and she rushed ahead of their escort, caring nothing for decorum or protocol. Launching herself into Zafirah’s welcoming arms, Dae wrapped her arms around her neck and her legs about her waist, clinging to her with a strength that promised never to let go.

She clutched at her wife's body eagerly, filling her hands with her, breathing in the scent of her and wondering how she’d managed to endure so many months without her touch. Tears of joy and relief were streaming down her cheeks and she hitched in a deep, sobbing breath when the taller woman laid a kiss on the top of her head. When she finally unlocked her legs and let her feet touch the floor, Dae looked up into the stunning brilliance of Zafirah’s sapphire eyes and saw moisture sparkling there like fresh dewdrops in the dawn light. She was choked with emotion herself, a thousand different thoughts all trying to find voice at once. “I knew you’d find me,” she whispered hoarsely, knowing there were no words sufficient to express her emotions. “I told them you’d come!”

“You will never be lost to me again, aziza.” Zafirah ran the back of her fingers over her face and Dae leaned into the caress achingly. “Are you ready to go home, my Tahirah?”

“Gods, I am home!” Standing on her toes Dae reached her hand behind Zafirah’s head and pulled her down into a passionate kiss, not giving even a second’s thought to the fact that her parents were standing less than ten feet away. For the first time since that day she’d bid her partner farewell in the Herak camp, Dae finally felt whole again…complete.

When she finally managed to pry her hands away from her wife, Dae turned to her father. He was staring at her with an odd mix of awkward embarrassment and wonder, running his gaze over the revealing leathers she wore, clearly stunned by her appearance. Dae guessed a large measure of his surprise was generated by the fact that the fringed leather top and sleek-fitting trousers complimented her appearance so perfectly; he was finally seeing her as the Jaharri Consort, a woman both sensual and commanding, instead of the innocent child she had always been in his eyes.

Dae released Zafirah and stepped in front of him, remembering every hurtful word he’d spoken to her, all the weeks of aggravating arguments and relentless insistence that she turn from the path she had chosen…and in a second, she laid all those memories to rest. Smiling broadly, she fell into his arms and squeezed him tight. “Thank you, Father,” she said fervently. “Thank you.”

Richard stiffened slightly, not expecting the embrace, but he relaxed quickly and hugged her back. A second later Dae felt her mother’s arms wrap around her, and she was enveloped between them in warmth and love. They stood there a long while, and when she finally extricated herself from their embrace, she kissed them each on the cheek, her face so alive with boundless joy they could not help but smile back. After all the heated, angry words they had exchanged, to see her look of happiness and joy was clearly a balm, easing their heartache at the knowledge that she would soon be gone again. She wiped a tear from Richard’s cheek as it fell. “Don’t cry, Father. Not for this. This is an action you should celebrate.”

“It may not be the life I would have preferred for you, Dae,” he said gruffly, “and I can’t say I approve of your union with a woman…but it's clear to me I can't keep you locked away from the world forever. If this is your choice…I will accept it.”

Dae shook her head, his words no longer filled with the poisonous anger they once were. “That’s all I ever wanted. I’m sorry that this hurts you…but thank you for not forcing me to choose between my family and my own heart. In time you’ll see, this was the right thing to do.”

Richard looked at Zafirah, cautiously respectful. “In many aspects, your choice for a partner exceeded even my own lofty standards,” he allowed in a low tone. “She’s an impressive woman, this wife of yours…for a Jaharri.”

“Promise you’ll come to visit me,” she said, her voice hopeful. “El’Kasari is far away, but the journey would be worth it, I promise. I think…” She paused, considering the lingering expression of confusion that yet marred Richard’s beloved features. “…I think if you can see the city for yourself…see the palace and meet the people…maybe you’ll understand better why my life in the Jaharri pleases me. Maybe it would help you to see why I belong there.”

Richard and Simone both nodded. “We have already discussed such a trip with the Scion,” he told her. “Your mother and I have agreed to accompany a trade caravan making the journey to El’Kasari within the year.” He looked again to Zafirah, who smiled. “It seems only fitting we visit your land, Scion, after you came all this way to see ours.”

Dae turned around and saw that Zafirah’s attention had shifted to Kaylee, who was standing beside Inaya with her hands twisting into nervous knots, watching her reconciliation with her parents. Taking Zafirah’s hand in hers, Dae gestured for her friend to step closer. “Zafirah, I’d like you to meet my good friend, Kaylee of Riverglen,” she said. “Kaylee, this is Zafirah, Scion of El'Kasari.”

Kaylee looked up at the tall Scion with wide, unblinking eyes. Zafirah gave her a dazzling smile and a nod. “A pleasure to meet one I have heard spoken of in such high regard,” she greeted.

Kaylee snapped herself out of the spell wrought by Zafirah’s stunning gaze and managed an awkward little curtsey. “Scion.”

Dae grinned at her friend’s expression and the slightly amused look on Zafirah’s face. “With your permission, I’ve invited Kaylee to return with us to El’Kasari. She has a desire to learn more of the healing arts…among other things.”

“I see.” Zafirah grinned, running her eyes over the pleasing curves of the young brunette’s body, her expression of appreciation much akin to that of an artist viewing a fine sculpture. “Well, Inaya has already told me how devoted a student you have been. You are most welcome to remain a guest in the palace for as long as it pleases you, Kaylee. I do not doubt your desire to learn new skills will serve you well…whatever course of study you choose to pursue.”

Kaylee still looked a little dazed, but Dae knew she would relax once she had a chance to get better acquainted with the Scion. The road back to El’Kasari was long, she reminded herself, and there would be plenty of opportunities for her friend to see the more playful, less intimidating side to Zafirah. Assuming, of course, Inaya and Nasheta didn’t monopolize her time with their own version of “getting to know you.” Dae was also confident that despite her protestations, Lyric would also see the value of pursuing a life in the desert, away from the judgment and persecution so rampant in the Heartland.

“With our treaty now formalized and the threat of outside intervention neutralized, your parents have agreed that you may return with me to the camp,” Zafirah said.

Dae gave her mother and father another smile of gratitude; perhaps more than anything else, she’d missed sleeping in the warmth of her partner’s arms, her senses awash in the scent of her…surrounded by the strength and comfort of her presence. “I, um…I have some things in my room I’d like to take back to the desert with me,” she said, her mind already on the journey home. “They’re mostly just books and a few keepsakes, but they’re a bit heavy. Oh, and there are some drawings I’d like to take, too…and my paints and things, but—”

“We have time, do not fear,” Zafirah said, halting her words with a kiss. “Our course back to the Jaharri has yet to be plotted, but the supply wagons will leave in advance of the main army and there is plenty of room. We have a few days before we depart, so you will have the opportunity to gather what items you wish…and to bid a proper farewell to your family.”

Dae smiled up at her mate affectionately, then turned to her parents. “You’ll join us tonight in the camp, won’t you? We can share a meal and celebrate…please?”

Richard exchanged looks with Simone and they both nodded. “We would be happy to.”

“Excellent!” Dae wrapped herself in Zafirah's arms and watched Inaya slip a hand around Kaylee’s waist, leaning close to her.

“Come, little one. Now that the Consort is returned to Zafirah’s bed, you and I should find Nasheta and arrange for our own tent. We have much to discuss.”

Dae saw the Jaharri girl lean closer still and whisper something into Kaylee’s ear that made her cheeks turn rosy, but she gave a shy nod, her eyes bright and excited. Dae stifled a chuckle, watching Inaya lead her charge out of the audience hall. She was confident her friend was in good hands with the raven-haired temptress. Zafirah leaned down and nuzzled her neck, and she gave a little mew of pleasure.

“Come, my Tahirah,” her throaty voice whispered in her ear. “I suspect every man and woman in the army will wish to welcome you back personally…and there will be little rest for us until they have been appeased.”

Dae glanced again at her parents, not seeking their approval but curious to see their reaction. She knew it would be a long time before they felt comfortable seeing her with her wife—if, indeed, they managed it at all—but it was enough for now that their expressions were no longer filled with pain or disgust. She recalled Inaya’s words from the first time they’d met, when she was still just a naive maiden, lost and alone in a world that had frightened and confused her—understanding will come with time.

As she linked her fingers with Zafirah’s and they walked hand in hand out of the room, she silently whispered a prayer to Inshal that those words would hold true for her family.

*          *          *

The mood in the Jaharri camp was jubilant that night; their fires burned high and cast back the darkness, and the sound of lively music and singing shattered the customary silence and tension for the first time since they’d left El’Kasari. There was much feasting and drinking, and now that the peace had been formalized, Richard's soldiers and the Jaharri warriors allowed themselves a wary camaraderie.

The spahi and scouts were overjoyed at Dae’s return, and she happily joined their celebrations and accepted the warm welcome. These men and women had left their desert homeland to travel hundreds of miles into unfamiliar territory, had been willing to risk their lives to see her returned to their beloved Scion’s side, and though most of the warriors were still strangers to her, their devotion was no less touching. Even her parents, watching the Jaharri welcome their daughter with such enthusiasm, couldn’t help but agree that Dae appeared well-loved by the desert people.

It was late by the time she and Zafirah retreated to the Scion’s tent, and as eager as they both were to make up for the months of separation, they each confessed with some amusement that it might be more satisfying to wait until they had the energy to properly satisfy their desire for deeper intimacies. Kaylee had been led away by Nasheta and Inaya earlier in the evening, flattered but a little embarrassed by their fawning admiration of her beauty and their inability to keep their hands off her. Dae trusted the two pleasure-servants wouldn’t pressure the girl to accept their obvious desire for her, but based on the hungry glint in her eyes as Kaylee let her own gaze wander, she guessed her friend would find little sleep that night in their amorous company.

When she finally found herself alone with Zafirah in their tent, Dae allowed her wife to slowly disrobe her, stripping the Scion of her clothes as her own were shed. Though their hands wandered over one another in sensual touches, neither woman felt compelled to do more than gaze into the other’s eyes and smile…satisfied simply to be together again.

“I missed this,” Dae whispered with a sensual sigh, letting the tips of her fingers trace the underside of Zafirah’s breasts. “Gods, I missed you…so much.”

“At least our separation has not been for nothing,” Zafirah said, her hands performing their own gentle explorations. “Your parents have the comfort now of knowing your fate at the slaver’s hands was not one of torment and pain…that you have found happiness in your life. And though they may never fully understand the bond we share, it is no small thing to have eased their heartache, or your own.”

“And if I hadn’t returned, I never would have met the friends I’ve made…never would have seen so clearly that I’m not alone in my passions. Which reminds me: before we leave, I’ll need to have a conversation with my father about ending his patronage of the reformatory. I won’t let it return to what it was before I came,” Dae said. “He shouldn’t take much convincing. After everything that’s happened, he'll agree it makes his interests appear divided if he continues to support the priest's endeavor.”

Zafirah’s lips twitched into a mischievous smile. “From what Inaya tells me, you managed to keep yourself entertained during your time of confinement. I understand you have been building upon your exploits, even among the people of your homeland.”

Dae grinned, her eyes twinkling merrily. “True enough. My father was a fool to set such temptations before me and think I’d behave. Had he delayed negotiations through the spring, my legend would likely rival your own.”

“I would very much like to hear of your experiences,”

Dae chuckled, seeing Zafirah’s nipples begin to pebble and grow hard. She’d been looking forward to sharing her experiences with her mate, knowing how much she enjoyed hearing such stories. “It’s a long journey back to the desert, my love. There'll be plenty of time for you to hear of my exploits later. But it’s been a long day, and such tales would only arouse your desire.”

Zafirah pouted, but changed the subject. “And what of your plans for your charming friend? Have you offered her a place in the harem yet?”

Dae nodded. “Kaylee may lack experience, but she has demonstrated a strong sexual appetite since our friendship became intimate. I think she’d find great happiness as a pleasure-servant…but it's a decision she must make for herself, and that will take time. She’s so eager to please me, I know she’d accept in a heartbeat…but first she needs to be certain it's what she truly wants.” Dae raised an eyebrow curiously at her partner, gauging her reaction. “Is that okay? I mean, for me to offer such an invitation?”

“Of course, aziza,” Zafirah assured her. “Inaya had already guessed the likelihood you would wish to preserve your friendship by inviting her into the harem. Pleasure-servants come to the role in many ways and for many reasons; Kaylee will not be the last to catch our fancy.”

Recalling her morning's adventure with Kaylee and Lyric, Dae added, “There is another I hope to convince to join us on the trip back to El’Kasari…another daughter of the nobility named Lyric, gifted with a unique beauty unlike any you’ve seen. In addition to her beauty, she harbors a potently lustful nature that she’s had to keep restrained for too long now. Her preferences would complement one of Suhayla's disposition…or Inaya’s.”

“Hmm…she sounds delightful.” Zafirah’s voice had turned husky with arousal, her eyelids hooded. She leaned down to kiss and nuzzle Dae’s neck, and the young blonde shivered as a rush of arousal washed over her skin. “Tell me more.”

Dae laughed again and pushed her lover away. “Uh-uh. If I start that story…if I tell you how I spent my morning with her and Kaylee…” Her voice dropped to low, deep whisper. “…how she tied my hands behind my back and drove me to climax after climax with her fingers and tongue until I thought my mind would shatter with pleasure…we won’t be getting any sleep at all.”

Zafirah groaned. “You are too cruel, Tahirah,” she scolded, though she went along willingly enough when Dae pulled her to their sleeping pallet.

“There’ll be time enough for carnal pleasures later; tonight, this is all I need. You….us…together.”

Curling up against her wife's naked body, wrapping her arms and legs around her to gain the most amount of skin-to-skin contact possible, Dae hummed low in her throat, almost purring. And snuggling into her, she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy