Chapter 8

Although Lyric’s upbringing in a noble household had required her to master certain social etiquettes, her natural temperament tended to be more reclusive. One of the few benefits of having been sent to the reformatory was that, for the most part, she was left in peace. Since coming here she had shown nothing but repentance and contrition for her sinful indulgences, never questioning or challenging Father Douglas or his teachings. In return, Douglas exempted her from the chores and duties performed by everybody else. Lyric sometimes made a show of helping out around the reformatory, but never with anything which might be considered beneath the dignity of her station; simple tasks like needlework, collecting eggs, and assisting Father Douglas with his correspondence.

Growing restless in the confines of her private room, Lyric had ventured out today and joined the other inhabitants of the reformatory at mid-day for lunch in the dining hall. Part of her reason for abandoning her solitude were the whispers she’d heard that the Jaharri girl who’d visited Dae some weeks ago had returned, and she felt curious to see if the girl was as she’d been described. Lyric had not been present to witness her last visit, but the other young women had been whispering loudly about her exotic and sensual beauty with such admiration, she wanted to see for herself what all the fuss was about. Sitting in the corner furthest from the fireplace, back against the wall, Lyric observed the three figures seated at the opposite end of the hall.

The girl—she thought she’d heard her name was Inaya—was nothing like what Lyric had envisioned. The stories about Dae all indicated she was some sort of sexual slave—something which sent an undeniable shiver of interest down Lyric’s spine—but her body-language suggested self-assurance and her bearing was almost regal. Nothing in her demeanor seemed to indicate a submissive nature. She was dressed in bright, shockingly revealing clothing, and Lyric grudgingly conceded that her beauty was somewhat impressive. Leaning over the table, the girl was speaking with Dae in low, private conversation, but watching the third person at the table—the pretty brunette with the chatty mouth—Lyric could guess from her rising blush that the content of this conversation was tawdry.

Picking over her food without much interest, trying to ignore the little voice in her head that wanted to speculate on what they might be discussing, Lyric noticed the Jaharri slave-girl glancing up at her every few minutes. Even from across the room, her eyes spoke of appreciative interest. And when the three young women all rose from the table and, with a carefully casual demeanor, strolled past Lyric and out into the hallway, she felt the full power of those dark, promising eyes pierce her as the girl went by.

It was only a brief look, but it conveyed much; Inaya met Lyric’s gaze, batted her eyelashes in a temptingly demure way, then gave her a quick wink and a sultry, knowing smile.

Lyric felt the blood rush to her face and fought to keep a blush at bay. Dae might have intuited something about her desires, but the desert girl’s eyes and enigmatic smile told Lyric that in a single fleeting moment, Inaya had read every hidden, secret yearning of her heart…and not only did she recognize them, she understood them better than Lyric did herself.

Where were they going? Lyric tried to tell herself she didn’t care, but her curiously was helplessly piqued. Were the three of them doing something bad…something Father Douglas should be notified about? She knew very well that even if they were, none of the priests were in any position to put a stop to it…nevertheless, after a long moment, Lyric abandoned her lunch and followed them out of the hall.

She checked Dae’s bedroom first, since it seemed their likeliest destination, but after her knock at the door went unanswered and she heard nothing stirring inside, Lyric backtracked and began searching down some of the less well-traveled areas of the reformatory. It didn’t take her long to find them; their muffled words were audible through the thin door of a storage room at the end of a deserted corridor. Feeling only a slight twinge of guilt over spying, Lyric pressed her ear against the doorframe to hear them better.

“Did I not tell you she was beautiful?” she heard, readily identifying the voice, heated and sultry, as belonging to Dae. “And these…” A slight but audible gasp. “…aren’t the only parts of her body Inaya has seen fitted with such jewelry.”

“Really?”

A low chuckle. “Let me show you.” A pause…the rustle of clothing being shed…and another gasp, this time no doubt from Kaylee. “You see? Lovely, isn’t it?”

“I-it’s pretty, but…doesn’t that hurt?”

“Oh no, my sweet…it can feel extremely pleasurable, just as any such piercing can.” This third voice was soft and heavily tinged with an exotic accent; Lyric found Inaya’s voice disturbingly sensual. “I see your fingers twitching…do you wish to touch me?”

“I…I don’t know…”

“No need to be nervous, Kaylee. If you'd prefer to just watch, that’s fine. But do not be afraid…Inaya would very much enjoy entertaining any curiosity you have.”

“Oh, indeed I would. But if not, then at least allow me to inspire your imagination. The Scion was delighted by the creativity of your last message, Consort; it would please her to know that her passion stirred your friend to ecstasy.”

There was a pregnant pause, the rustle of yet more clothing being shed, then Dae’s voice commanded, “On your knees, Inaya. I’m eager to feel the pleasure Zafirah gave you to pass along to me.” The words were spoken in a playful but nonetheless authoritative tone, and Lyric felt the tension in her lower stomach build.

“The Scion’s reply was very long, Consort,” came the heavily accented reply. “I hope I can remember it correctly…but please forgive any lapses in my technique. I fear I was somewhat dazed by the time Zafirah concluded her oration.”

Lyric was surprised by the playful submission in the Jaharri girl’s voice, impressed and a little jealous that Dae seemed able to command such a regal and self-possessed woman as Inaya in matters of carnal delights. She’d heard that title—Consort—used in reference to Dae before, but didn’t fully understand what it signified. From Inaya’s lips, however, its intent sounded as familiar to Lyric as that delicious, wicked word her handmaiden once used for her—mistress. She recalled some of the stories that had been passed around the others in the reformatory about Dae’s experiences among the desert barbarians, and wondered how much of them was truth. What must that be like, she wondered…to hold such sexual authority over dozens of beautiful women. What must it be like to wield that power without ever feeling ashamed of it? And the most terrible question of all, the one she tried hardest to prevent her mind from asking—had her own passions been given similar freedom, what delights might they have led her to explore?

Through the door she heard a sudden, sharp intake of breath, then Dae’s voice moaning. “Yes, my temptress…give me that tongue! Show me the ecstasies Zafirah will share with me when we are reunited. Let it dance in liquid fire!”

For several minutes all she heard through the door were soft, wet sounds and Dae’s encouraging moans and whispers of pleasure. Lyric glanced guiltily back down the hallway, though she knew Dae had chosen this storeroom because it afforded her privacy. After confirming the corridor was indeed empty, she leaned close to the door, straining to hear more of the intriguing noises.

“Zafirah has demonstrated her love and desire for me in this fashion many times, Inaya…her technique is quite familiar by now. I can—uh! I can honestly say you’ve mirrored her style splendidly.”

“Thank you, Consort. The Scion went to great lengths to ensure I had memorized her passion for you very clearly before she sent me here. She demonstrated her message a dozen times on Nasheta before allowing me to feel it personally; she wanted to make certain I would remember it correctly.”

“Does the sight of us please you, Kaylee? I recognize that look in your eyes; you wish to feel the same pleasures, don’t you.”

A pause, then a bashful response. “I-I suppose.”

“Well don't be shy. I've taught you how to appease such desires…and I'd very much enjoy watching you touch yourself.” There was a period of silence broken only by the wet, sucking sounds, then she heard Dae's voice, even throatier than before. “That’s beautiful, Kaylee…perfect. Watch Inaya pleasure me, and let the sight feed your arousal.”

Lyric’s face was flushed as she listened, knowing she should interrupt whatever was happening, put a stop to this wanton sinning…but she couldn’t bring herself to open the door. Not until she’d heard more of what they were doing…of what Dae had in mind for her lovers. After a moment of silence, Lyric heard Dae give a little giggle.

“You’re staring, Kaylee…and you seem more interested in watching Inaya than what she’s doing to me. Perhaps your hands would enjoy exploring new territory? My message to Zafirah won’t be one of physical pleasure this time, so Inaya will be deprived of the same delights she enjoyed during our last encounter. I think she would appreciate your touch a great deal…wouldn’t you, Inaya?”

“Oh yes, Consort…very much.” A pause. “Please, pretty one? Will you touch me?”

“Are you sure?”

“Inaya’s mouth and hands serve my pleasure right now…but the rest of her body is yours to play with as you like. Can you see how aroused she becomes, tasting my desire?

A pause, and a shy reply. “She’s very wet.”

“Come closer. Touch her…see how loudly you can make her cry out in joy. I would enjoy feeling her screams of satisfaction against me.”

Lyric tried to tear herself away from the door, struggled against the fire kindling between her legs—the fire she had always associated with those depraved but unspeakably pleasurable sins she had indulged in years before—but it was a battle she was losing fast. Indeed, her curiosity was growing stronger than her shame, and she studied the crack along the edge of the door a long moment, wondering. After a brief internal debate, she pressed her right eye against that sliver of light…and a bolt of famished arousal swept those flames into an inferno.

She could only make out a sliver at a time of what was happening in the room, but there was light enough inside that what she could see was relatively clear. Dae, stripped bare and squirming, was leaning back against the side wall of the storeroom, hands cupping her full breasts and fondling them slowly. Lyric could see the glint of sapphire at her left nipple—the piercing she’d heard so much about, rumors of which had first stirred the dark longings inside her. Seeing it for the first time, Lyric could understand why the barbaric jewelry had captured the attention and interest of the other girls in the reformatory; it was wickedly, primally sexy.

Between Dae’s legs, also naked, knelt the Jaharri girl…and if the sight of Dae was impressive, Lyric found the vision of Inaya in all her naked splendor doubly so. Her skin was flawless, smooth and dusky-bronzed, rippling over her muscles as she moved with Dae’s gentle hip-thrusts. With one hand she helped support Dae, with the other she stroked her inner thighs and the hidden treasure between them. Lyric’s angle of observation couldn’t make out the details, but she could see that Inaya’s mouth was working between the blonde’s legs in an achingly familiar way suggesting her tongue was very busy.

Shifting her position slightly, Lyric let her gaze roam over the lean, soft lines of the Jaharri girl’s body, down her lower back to her thighs and buttocks, gasping at the teasing glimpse she caught of swollen and glistening flesh. The slave-girl seemed to share Dae’s grooming habits…and Lyric caught herself wondering what that smooth, glistening flesh might feel like under her tongue.

Behind Inaya, just joining the two women, Kaylee’s eyes were being treated to a more complete and intimate view of the desert slave…the view Lyric wished she could be enjoying herself. Lyric watched the brunette, charmingly topless but still wearing her skirt, kneel behind Inaya and hesitantly reach out to caress her. Her lips parted as a flood of covetous arousal swept through her; the thought of what liberties she might take if she could have assumed Kaylee’s place…of how loudly she would make Inaya scream…made Lyric’s entire body and mind tense in rapturous envy.

Looking back to Dae, Lyric saw the blonde watching her friend with hooded emerald eyes…saw her back arch slightly and her legs tremble when Kaylee’s fingers slipped between Inaya’s thighs. Lyric could still make out her words through the crack in the door. “That’s good, sweet one. Just like that. I can feel her tongue pause when you touch her. Inaya? Do you think you can keep your focus while Kaylee plays with you?”

The Jaharri girl withdrew her mouth from its task and stared up at Dae; even with her less-than-ideal vantage point, Lyric could see she was starting to breath harder…and could easily imagine the submissive, hungry expression in the dark pools of her eyes. “I…I shall do my best, Consort.”

Dae looked down at the girl between her legs, her smile still playful but arrestingly in charge. “If you fail, I’ll tell her to stop,” she said sternly. “You will have pleasure only if you can maintain your concentration.” She flashed Kaylee, who looked a little uncertain but very excited, an encouraging grin and said, “Keep going, Kaylee. Show her what I’ve taught you about pleasing a woman…and let’s see if you can distract a pleasure-servant from her duty.”

At her words Lyric pulled back from the crack in the door, alarmed by the powerful surge of lust that twisted through her belly and settled between her legs. Her clothing, silk and tailored to fit her sleek frame perfectly, suddenly felt constricting; her skin had become too sensitive to the touch of cloth against it. Lyric squeezed her thighs together, conscious of the wet heat in her center, helpless to deny her roaring desires. It seemed Dae shared in at least some small measure the same lusts and appetites she herself had fought to deny for so long. This game she had concocted—using the threat of absent pleasure to spur Inaya on, to challenge her, to punish her with denial of release if she failed to please her mistress—it was similar to the games Lyric had always dreamed of playing. And yet the expression on her face was utterly free of shame, filled only with exhilaration and daring.

Against her will Lyric’s eye was drawn back to the gap between the door and its frame…and her right hand slipped helplessly between her legs, pressing against that volcanic mound that trembled with tiny earthquakes, aching to erupt.

“Ooh, yessss! Keep doing that, Kaylee. Stroke her nice and slowly. Inaya works her tongue with even greater talent when you give her a little encouragement.”

“Really?” Kaylee seemed extremely pleased that her efforts were having the desired effect.

Lyric saw Dae nod, her eyes watching her friend avidly. “Just be careful not to let her grow too excited. She’ll climax far too quickly if you can’t keep your fingers away from that piercing…so wait until I tell you before giving it the attention it craves.”

Lyric’s eyes narrowed at that statement. Piercing? What was Dae referring to? she wondered. Squinting to bring the scene into sharper focus, Lyric studied where Kaylee’s fingers were moving between the Jaharri girl’s legs…and when Inaya bucked her hips and wriggled slightly against those fingers, Lyric caught a fleeting glimpse of metallic silver hidden between the slick folds of her sex.

Her jaw dropped and she pulled away from the door again, certain she couldn’t have seen what she thought she saw. Surely even the Jaharri primitives were not so bold as to dream up such an intimate piercing! The thought of how such highly personal jewelry must be fitted made Lyric even more conscious of her own body…of the swollen, throbbing bud that twitched between her legs as though jealous of Inaya’s clit, and all the lovely attention it was receiving.

Looking back into the room, shocked but consumed by aching need to continue watching this forbidden encounter, Lyric stared at Kaylee as the girl stroked her fingers over bare flesh…watching those fingers grow shiny with moisture. A quick glance up to Dae showed her the young blonde was growing increasingly aroused; her breathing was coming faster now, broken by increasingly frequent, animal noises of pleasure and excitement.

Whatever Inaya was doing, it appeared she was doing it with skill.

“She’s getting really slippery,” Kaylee said with a little giggle, bringing Lyric’s attention back to her. In the low light, she held up her fingers for Dae’s consideration; they were coated with the clear honey of Inaya’s arousal.

Dae grinned down at her friend, one blonde brow raised in challenge. “Taste her,” she purred. Kaylee hesitated, blushing, but Dae continued. “It’s okay…you liked it when I let you taste me, didn’t you?”

A shy nod from the brunette, then Lyric watched her bring her dripping digits to her lips. The sight of her innocence being seduced to such an act sent more delicious tremors through her lower body…and Lyric found herself studying the girl in a new light. It appeared there was more to Kaylee than just her chatty mouth and effervescent personality. She seemed to quite enjoy following Dae’s instructions…and Lyric felt her center pulse when she wondered if the girl might not appreciate a firmer hand guiding her. She saw Kaylee smile broadly as she licked up Inaya’s nectar, apparently pleased by the flavor, and heard Dae’s low, husky voice.

“You see? Delicious, isn’t she?”

“Mmhmm.” Kaylee licked her fingers clean before letting them continue their light, lingering caresses over Inaya’s intimate flesh.

Dae was now rocking her hips into Inaya’s mouth, and Lyric could tell she was rising fast. “Perhaps you could show Inaya how much you’ve learned about such oral pleasures?” the blonde suggested. “I assure you, she tastes even sweeter at her source.”

Lyric stifled a groan, her hand now pressed against herself…against that fire that pulsed with her rising heartbeat. She saw Kaylee’s blush deepen, heard her whisper shyly, “Maybe,” and hated herself for wishing she could take the girl’s place.

Inaya didn’t appear to be letting Kaylee's fingers distract her. Her efforts had pushed Dae to the edge, and Lyric focused back on the blonde to witness her pleasure ascend. Dae had tangled her fingers in Inaya’s hair now, guiding her movements against her, rocking her hips and tossing her head back as she rose with her desires. Lyric heard her cries and muffled screams of ecstasy grow louder, more distinct, and through the door she could make out her explicit words of encouragement. “Gods, yes! Fuck me with that tongue, girl! Show me everything Zafirah did to you! Everything she will do to me when I am returned! Nek ni! Give me more! Ahh, yessss!”

Lyric pulled herself away from the sliver of light just as the first shudders of release washed over Dae, fearing that if she continued spying she would surely succumb to the same. Her breathing was ragged, her vision hazy with passion, and the ache in her center was overwhelming. She knew how that ache could be appeased, and knew it was sinful to think of touching herself with a lover’s caress…but even the shame she would feel for doing it seemed pale against the light of this white-hot spark within her.

Dae’s cries crested and eventually faded though, and Lyric was curious to see what the next phase of her game would be. She was just about to lean in to set her eye back to the crack between the door and the wall, when a voice behind her halted her.

“Uh…Lyric?”

Her posture instantly stiffened. Her hand fell from her crotch to her side, and she turned to face the interruption. Caught off guard, her color high and stark against her pale skin, Lyric tried to regain her shattered composure. At the end of the short hallway stood another girl, looking at her with wary confusion. Lyric swallowed her shame and raised an eyebrow at the girl. “Yes?”

“Um…Father Douglas sent me to find you,” the girl said, still looking very uncertain. “He said to tell you your cousin has come to visit. I uh…I believe he’s waiting in your quarters to see you.”

Lyric may have been caught off-guard, but the imperious, disdainful mask slipped over her features more on instinct than purpose. She lifted her chin slightly, regarding the wary girl a long moment, then said coldly, “Thank you. Return to Father Douglas and inform him I’m attending my cousin.”

The girl—Lyric didn’t know her name, nor the names of most of the others in the reformatory—studied her for a moment, then bobbed her head and dashed off. Lyric watched her go, exhaling loudly and trying to calm her racing heartbeat. Through the door she could hear new sounds…fresh cries of pleasure she suspected were coming from the Jaharri slave-girl, and it took a surprising effort of will for Lyric not to ignore everything else and just linger to witness more of this illicit encounter. When she heard Dae’s voice coming through the crack in the door-jam, it became harder still.

“That’s perfect, Kaylee…look how she squirms. Lick her slowly…make her beg before you give her the satisfaction she craves. I want at least another climax before she gets her reward.”

Lyric swallowed hard and fought the temptation to press her eye back to crack of light coming from within the storeroom. She took a few deep, calming breaths and closed her eyes…but that only allowed her imagination to paint a vibrant fantasy on the inside of her eyelids, so she shook her head in frustration and concentrated only on her breathing. She stepped away from the door, her body still charged with a confusing tangle of arousal and shame, but after taking a minute or two to regain control, Lyric managed to subdue the weaker part of herself that wanted so badly to know what delights Dae was currently enjoying.

Clearing her throat, choosing for now to ignore the surging tide of lust in her blood, Lyric headed back down the hallway toward her private quarters…every stride making her more aware of that hot ache between her legs.

By the time she opened her door and stepped into her room, lips forced into a thin, reluctant smile of greeting to the man waiting for her, Lyric had managed to regain her composure. The icy mask was firmly back in place, and she accepted her cousin’s hand when he offered it.

“Lyric! How wonderful to see you again, Cousin,” Jonathon said warmly, smiling his best, most winning smile.

“And you, Cousin.” Lyric’s eyes remained cool as she regarded him. “What brings you all this way?”

“I’ve come bearing good news. Father and I have been corresponding with the priests here, and we’ve agreed you will be ready to return with us to Blackwood manor within a month or two…baring complications, of course.”

Lyric’s eyes warmed slightly at this…but only slightly. This was the moment she’d been waiting for all this time. Release! She would be able to return to her family, to her life, with none of the shame or regret that had plagued her since her indiscretions were first discovered. Now she could finally move on.

She’d expected the news would bring a rush of elation and relief, and worried about the sliver of doubt that seemed to cut right through her happiness.

Jonathon didn’t seem to notice her subdued reaction. His expression spoke of smug satisfaction as he went on. “Father Douglas has just been telling me how well you’ve been doing, and he concurs that you’ve overcome your past and are ready to leave the reformatory. He’s especially pleased with how well you’ve avoided falling back into bad habits since Lord Everdeen’s trollip of a daughter was sent here. From what he told me, the filthy harlot has been luring others off the path of recovery ever since she arrived.” Jonathon raised an eyebrow at her. “I suppose you’ve met her?”

“Dae?” Lyric gave a curt nod and looked away, worried her composure might slip with the fresh memory of the gorgeous little blonde writhing orgasmically against her Jaharri slave’s mouth. “I’ve seen her, yes.”

Jonathon sniffed derisively. “It’s the worst scandal in years,” he said. “Everyone’s talking about it. That girl has been so thoroughly corrupted she doesn’t even care about the shame she’s brought down on her family. And now an army of Jaharri have marched through the Heartland to get her back! King Gerald is outraged, of course, but his hands are tied. He can’t risk offending the desert people for the sake of a single man.” He leaned closer to Lyric and said in a conspiratorial tone, “I’ve heard it’s only a matter of time. Everdeen will have to hand Dae back to the sand-scum eventually…and I say that’s a good deal more mercy than the slut deserves. Someone like that…well, she’s so corrupted by their influence, she’s better off living like a filthy animal in the desert rather than among civilized people.”

Lyric nodded her accord readily enough, but turned away under the pretext of lighting a few more candles in the room so Jonathon wouldn't see her smirking. She had no doubt he was still rankling after Dae’s humiliating rejection of his offer of courtship. Jonathon was a handsome man, and he was accustomed to women fawning over him with abandon. In fact, he considered himself something of a ladies’ man—well-groomed, wealthy, and charming. Lyric knew her cousin’s pride had been wounded deeply by Dae’s cutting remarks questioning his ability to satisfy her in bed…and she suppressed a shiver of spiteful delight at the knowledge that the charming blonde would certainly be amenable to her own offer…should she ever care to make one.

I could see that pretty face looking up at me from between my thighs with less than a word being spoken, she thought with a tingle of smug excitement. All I’d need do is go to her room when she’s alone, strip naked and lie down on her bed. Her tongue would be upon me in a second…no questions asked.

Lyric didn’t deny herself this brief fantasy; she hated Jonathon intensely, and the fact that he was still seething from Dae’s emasculating rejection couldn’t help but win the girl a measure of her respect.

Lighting another candle, she glanced at her cousin and said, “I don’t care for gossip, Jonathon. I’ve seen what Dae has done to the other young women in this place, and I agree it’s regrettable. But my concern has only ever been for my own recovery.”

“As it should be,” Jonathon agreed. “And Father has finally initiated arrangements for your betrothal. As soon as we’ve settled a few, um…last minute entanglements…you’ll be released from the monastery and free to build a more honorable life with a fine, upstanding husband.”

“And with whom shall I be married?”

Jonathon grinned, his eyes brimming with pride. “Lord Haverbrook’s eldest son.”

Lyric raised an eyebrow, her lips unsmiling. “Rogar? He’s nearly twice my age.”

Jonathon shrugged, his gleeful expression turning confused at her unenthusiastic response. “He’s a favorite of both Prince Elkin and the King, soon to inherit his family’s estate,” he countered, “and aside from Lord Everdeen, his family are our most powerful rivals. It’s a fine match, Lyric. Rogar is an honorable man, and he’s been looking for an acceptable marriage for years now, ever since his last betrothed had that unfortunate…accident. Your wedding will bind our families interests together, and see us brought closer to the inner circle of the King.”

It took an effort for Lyric not to allow her distaste over the news to show in her expression. She knew from his reputation that Rogar of Haverbrook cared little for anything that was not associated with his favorite pastime—hunting. He was a thuggish oaf, and if even half the rumors concerning the fate of his last espoused were true, his temper could turn violent with little provocation. The idea of bedding with the man held no appeal at all for Lyric…especially in light of the far more intriguing scenario she’d just witnessed in the storeroom. Still, she gave a slight shrug to her cousin and said, “I suppose you’re right.”

It wasn’t the most enthusiastic response, but it appeased Jonathon. He smiled warmly, looking smugly pleased with himself, as though he had been the architect of her happy future rather than his father. “Excellent,” he said, clapping his hands together once. “With you returning to stand honorably beside the family once more, and with Richard of Everdeen falling deeper into disgrace, our family fortunes are sure to rise higher than ever before. Father will be very pleased.”

“Don’t think Lord Everdeen can be so easily dealt from your considerations, Cousin,” Lyric advised bitterly. “Even if Dae is returned to the Jaharri, his shame and dishonor will still benefit his estate, I’m certain. From what I’ve heard, he is negotiating—albeit reluctantly—for his daughter’s release. The desert queen seems willing to offer anything if it will see Dae returned to her side.”

Now Jonathon’s smile twisted slightly into a harsh and unpleasant grin. “True enough,” he said, his eyes filled with mirthless glee. “He could reap significant gains from an alliance with the Jaharri…if he can negotiate peaceful terms. But the desert savages can be quite an unpredictable lot. The smallest thing could upset their little truce with Richard…and then, who knows what could happen?”

Lyric watched her pompous cousin with narrowed eyes, seeing the swagger in his step and instantly feeling a strong urge to slap the merriment right off his face. Her skin prickled. “What are you talking about?”

“Let’s just say that Father isn’t going to miss an opportunity to see Lord Everdeen brought to heel…especially when he can also pay back his slut of a daughter for insulting me the way she did.” Jonathon’s face reddened slightly, his eyes hard. “Disgusting filth…I almost wish I were marrying her. That girl could use a firm hand…and I’d enjoy showing her what a real man can do.”

Again Lyric had to turn away, grinning at the thought of such an encounter. Dae was more than a match for her pretentious cousin, though the thought of punishing her like that made Lyric’s insides churn with hunger. She let none of it show in her voice, though. “Better to avoid tainting our bloodline with her impurities,” she said in her calmest tone. “Let the desert have its precious Consort, if it gets the savages out of civilized lands.”

“Well, it won’t matter in any event. If Father’s plans come together, the Jaharri should do our work for us, and Lord Everdeen will count himself lucky if he gets out of this with his life, let alone his daughter.”

Lyric’s posture stiffened immediately, and she felt the fine hairs along her arms bristle. She stared at Jonathon, her lips compressed in a stern line, but she kept her tone carefully casual. “You’re planning to incite the barbarians against Richard?”

“Or Richard’s men against the Jaharri,” Jonathon said with a shrug, “and either way, we will benefit from the conflict.”

For a moment Lyric wasn’t sure what to say…but the reformatory that had seemed a peaceful sanctuary a moment ago now felt dangerously vulnerable. “Sh-should I not be returning to Blackwood Manor immediately then? I’d rather not find myself caught between two armies out for blood.”

“Oh, don’t fret, Cousin. This monastery is holy ground, and even those savages wouldn’t risk incurring the wrath of Tarsis and his servants by attacking it. There are still formalities to be dealt with before your betrothal can be formally announced…and if Father were to suddenly insist on bringing you home now, while Everdeen’s on his guard, how would that look? Damned suspicious, that’s how! We have to play this carefully…and your presence here provides the family a useful shield. Who’s going to accuse Father of orchestrating the conflict when his own niece is sequestered here? No…you’ll come home once the dust has settled.”

Lyric nodded absently along with his reassurances, but found herself so distracted she paid little mind to anything else Jonathon said thereafter.

After her cousin departed, Lyric lay down stiffly on her hard mattress and folded her hands over her stomach. Staring up at the ceiling, she sighed…sorting through what she’d learned and wondering how she felt about it. It hardly came as a surprise that her uncle, so greedy for greater power and influence within the kingdom, would resort to such underhanded tactics to see a rival deposed. What was more surprising was the queasy, sick feeling that stirred in her stomach when Lyric considered what might happen if his plan succeeded…and she took a moment to remind herself that she wasn’t invested one way or the other.

What did she care if the Jaharri slaughtered Richard and his men? Or, as she felt was more likely, Richard’s men killed off the desert dwellers? It was no concern of hers. And as much as she would feel safer not being so close to any potential conflict, Jonathon was right; if she left now, it might indeed seem suspicious to Richard. She tried to reassure herself by focusing on the thought that soon she’d be free from her past indiscretions, pursuing a new life with a husband placed within the King’s inner circle. It was everything she’d wanted, everything she had worked so hard to achieve. She was cured now…and she wouldn’t allow those impulses to surmount her reason again.

But when she closed her eyes, all Lyric could see was Dae’s face, flushed with arousal and gazing hungrily at the naked women pleasuring her. She gnawed on her lower lip, frustrated by how hollow the thought of release seemed. Was Dae right? Was this really what she wanted—to be held to the thrall of a man who would view her as little more than another trophy, a beautiful prize he could display to others as evidence of his own self-worth? How little appeal the thought held when compared to the forbidden delights of what Dae had offered her. How pointless her clinging, desperate resolve not to be tempted seemed, when her fingers still longed to grasp the handle of a crop…to paint Dae’s backside with a mesh of scarlet lines… and to hear her sweet voice pleading for more.

Lyric felt her center throb, desperate for a touch she refused to provide but stirred to full arousal by the image of Dae, bound and kneeling, ready to apply her tongue to the task of bringing her to ecstasy.

What was the point of all her self-control and discipline, Lyric wondered, if these desires still lay dormant within her? And what price was she really willing to pay to see herself freed from the stigma of her shame? Would Dae be sacrificed in the crossfire between Richard and the Jaharri?

For the first time since she’d been brought to the reformatory, Lyric found herself torn, uncertain of her own heart.

*          *          *

The moment she saw Inaya gliding dreamily through the camp that afternoon, a sweet, burning tension coiled in Zafirah’s stomach.

“So…” she grinned eagerly, unable to keep the excitement from her voice, “I trust my Consort was pleased with my reply?”

Inaya, wrapped in a thick woolen cloak to ward against the chill, damp air, gave her a self-satisfied smirk and a nod. “I believe I managed to convey the full measure of your passion, my Scion…and from the number of climaxes she endured, I can safely say Dae was well satisfied by my efforts to act in your stead.”

Zafirah longed to have experienced her lover’s pleasure personally, but Dae’s clever idea to utilize Inaya as a courier for their passion at least provided them a means to express their desire for one another in a physical way. Studying the languid, relaxed posture of her pleasure-servant’s body, the soft, contented expression in her dark eyes, Zafirah felt certain Inaya had tasted satisfaction herself.

Stepping closer to Inaya, Zafirah cupped her cheek and ran her thumb over the line of her jaw to her lips. Leaning down, she brought her lips to Inaya’s in a light kiss, tongue flashing out to taste her. Her legs weakened when she tasted the traces of Dae’s arousal still lingering there. Inaya readily deepened the kiss, nimble tongue darting into her mouth, and Zafirah shivered at the thought of the intimate flesh that tongue had so recently explored.

“Mmm,” she sighed, withdrawing a little and savoring the anticipation. She took Inaya’s hand in her own and gave her a little tug. “Come…I wish to hear every detail of your encounter.” She dragged Inaya the short distance to their tent and guided her inside.

In the dim light within, she quickly pulled the shorter girl against her and claimed her mouth again, aggressive and demanding; Inaya surrendered with languid abandon. Zafirah pulled the cloak from Inaya’s shoulders and tossed it aside, her tongue sliding over her lips, her chin, and into her mouth, seeking every last trace of Dae’s flavor. She broke contact only when she was certain no more of her lover remained. “I trust my Consort is in good health,” she enquired breathlessly.

“She is anxious to be reunited with you, Scion, but from all appearances it seems she has devised a novel way to pass the time until you are able to secure her release.” Inaya’s hands slipped around Zafirah’s waist, fingers fanning over the curve of her buttocks, pulling their hips together. “Her father was a fool to lock her away in that place; it has only afforded her an opportunity to entertain herself with new conquests.”

“And did she give you a new message to deliver?” Already Zafirah could feel liquid warmth stirring between her thighs, and having abstained from pleasure for several nights now she was eager to experience fulfillment.

But Inaya withdrew from her embrace and backed a few paces away, dark eyes sparkling playfully. “She did…however, I fear it is not the type of message you long for.”

Zafirah felt her hope falter. “She did not give you pleasure to pass on?”

“I fear not.”

Zafirah’s eyes narrowed, studying Inaya’s relaxed and obviously sated body language. “I can tell Dae did not leave you wanting, Inaya,” she said. “If she had, your body would surely be ablaze with tension and longing. She pleasured you, did she not?”

Now Inaya grinned fully. “No…but, mercifully, she allowed her pretty friend to take full and delicious liberties with me while I was occupied delivering your desire.”

Zafirah felt her breathe quicken, her blood burn hotter in her veins. She raised an eyebrow curiously. “Her friend?”

“Indeed. Your Consort has been quite busy, Zafirah…has spent her time seducing those who share her preferences into accepting the desires they have been forced to repress. Since my last visit, the change among the other young women is palpable; the air fairly crackles with lustful electricity. I could practically smell the perfume of arousal pouring off of every girl I saw…and Dae is certainly the well-spring.”

The tale was one guaranteed to spark Zafirah’s arousal…a fact of which Inaya was clearly well aware. “And this…friend? What of her?”

“Her name is Kaylee, and she is utterly adorable. Dae has done an excellent job instructing her in the pleasures that can be shared between women…and though she lacks experience, the girl displays a delightful enthusiasm and an eagerness to learn more. As I pleasured your Consort, she applied her nascent talents to distracting my efforts.” Inaya ran her hands down between her legs, caressing her fingers over the well-attended mound of her sex through the silk pantaloons. Zafirah’s eyes followed her movements avidly. “She was shy at first,” Inaya whispered huskily, “but after I had thoroughly satisfied Dae’s needs, her efforts to reward my devotions were…impressive.”

It seemed all the moisture in Zafirah’s mouth had been summoned to a more urgent engagement between her thighs, and she swallowed hard at Inaya’s tale…her passion inflamed by the thought of her mate seducing another innocent to her bed. “Dae has formed a bond with her?”

“A strong one, from what I observed.” Inaya paused, and Zafirah saw her watching her reaction carefully. “I do not know for certain whether she has discussed the matter with the girl, but I suspect when Dae is returned to you, she may invite her friend to return with us to the desert.”

Zafirah considered this possibility and could not deny the thought of her Consort taking this initiative was exciting. “You think she might offer her a place in the harem?”

Inaya shrugged. “Either the harem, or another position within the palace.”

“And would you approve her choice?”

A smile and a lazy nod. “Indeed.” Inaya’s fingers were still caressing herself over her clothes. Even in the low light Zafirah could make out the outline of her nipples, swollen to prominence beneath the gauzy fabric of her top. “Kaylee may lack experience, but time and training would quickly hone her skills. I can still feel her tongue against me, wet and greedy for more.” She sighed at the memory, and Zafirah’s eyes darkened. “With a little practice, she would make an outstanding pleasure-servant.”

Despite her legendary appetite for carnal indulgence, Zafirah’s harem was quite modest in comparison to others held by the Scions of past generations. Some had numbered near a hundred women. But Zafirah had a discerning eye when it came to her pleasure-servants, and took pride in being more selective than many of her predecessors. Still, if Dae wished to add to their harem, Zafirah was more than happy for her to do so. The look in Inaya’s eye suggested she was equally excited by the prospect of a new playmate…and given the nature of the other harem girls, Zafirah guessed they would all share her reaction.

“I shall look forward to meeting her soon, then,” she said in a voice husky with desire, raising an amused brow and looking pointedly to where Inaya’s hands were still brazenly stroking herself with a lover’s caress. “Though it would appear her efforts have not fully appeased you.”

“Oh, she did a splendid job bringing me to climax…do not doubt it. But the memory of her fingers and tongue yet lingers in my skin. I would have liked at least another hour with the girl…but Dae would not permit it. I truly hope your Consort can tempt her to return with us.”

“And do you think Dae likely to offer others the same invitation?”

“Perhaps…and given your taste for women of exotic beauty, these ‘reformatories’ seem a wonderful place to recruit new additions to the seraglio.” Inaya’s smile was sultry, her eyes narrowed to feline slits. “A few in particular could not help but catch my eye.”

Zafirah’s hands were aching to take over the task of touching Inaya’s body, but the look on her face told her the girl was enjoying teasing her. “You said Dae gave you a message to deliver, one not carnal in nature. It would be unwise to tease me, Inaya…especially if we will not be sharing pleasure.”

“I do not doubt Nasheta will be happy to quench the fire in my flesh,” Inaya said, eyeing her roguishly. But after a moment, she stilled the movements of her hand against her lower body and gave Zafirah a cheeky grin. “But yes, Dae wished me to deliver a message. She has been monitoring the routine of the guards overseeing the monastery, and has noticed a lengthy gap between the last watch of the night and the first watch of dawn. She asks that you meet her tomorrow night, when the moon is at its highest point in the sky, at the largest window on the north side of the building.”

The thought of seeing her beloved Consort face to face again after so many weeks parted from her filled Zafirah with a sharp, esurient ache. “You think she can escape her confinement?”

Inaya hesitated, her playful expression turning more serious. “It would be ill-advised to make such an attempt, given the delicate situation with her father,” she counseled. “Though the guards may be lax so late at night, the doors are still barred to prevent any from leaving. Dae will have to remain inside, but she still wishes to see you…even if a wall of glass must stand between you.”

It was less than Zafirah might have wanted, but more than enough to stir her body with excited anticipation. She gave Inaya a scolding look. “You tease my arousal with tales of Dae’s carnal exploits, only to leave me absent fulfillment? Cruel, Inaya…very cruel.”

Inaya only grinned unrepentantly and raised a daring eyebrow. “You are welcome to join Nasheta and I,” she invited readily. “Perhaps the three of us could reenact the scenario I just shared with your Consort and her lovely companion.”

The suggestion made Zafirah groan longingly…but she shook her head. “Knowing Dae as I do, I think she would prefer I rein in my libido until she can oversee my pleasure personally,” she said; her Consort did so enjoy it when her lust was inflamed by the denial of release. “For her sake, I shall forego seeking gratification and endure my hunger another day.”

Inaya was looking at her with hooded, heated eyes, lips set in a pout of disappointment. “A pity,” she lamented, cupping her breasts once more and beginning to tease the tips of her nipples through the cloth of her top. “Are you certain you cannot be tempted?”

Zafirah laughed. “Tempted, certainly…but not persuaded. I am sure Dae would prefer I be quaking with need for our rendezvous.”

Inaya watched her slinkily for another moment, then shrugged her shoulders. “As you wish, Scion.”

“Shall I see if Nasheta is free to attend your need?”

“Please.” Inaya nodded eagerly, already reaching for the laces that bound her pantaloons around her slender waist. “And be sure to convey the full urgency of the situation.”

Shaking her head at Inaya’s insatiable sexual stamina, Zafirah left the tent to go in search of the blonde pleasure-servant…relieved she had escaped without subjecting Inaya to a thorough ravishing. The doe-eyed temptress was obviously highly stimulated after her experiences with Dae and Kaylee, and the scent of arousal clung to her body like an intoxicating cloud.

The chill air outside went a long way toward cooling the Scion’s fevered blood, and she took a few calming breathes to clear the fog of lust from her mind. As much as she would have enjoyed joining the two women in recreating Inaya’s experiences from that day, she placated her desire with the knowledge that she would soon lay eyes on her beloved Consort once more.

After so many weeks, so many nights, Zafirah was willing to wait one more day…if only to sweeten the moment of their reunion.

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy