Chapter 18

Dae’s guards left her in the care of the head priest who ran the monastery—an elderly man with a bald pate and stooped shoulders who introduced himself as Father Douglas, and who possessed an unpleasantly supercilious demeanor which caused her to take an instant dislike to him. Leaning on a blackthorn walking cane and moving at a slow pace, he showed her around the building and explained how she would be spending her time.

The room, which he told her she would be sharing with three other young women, was quite basic—just four mismatched beds, each with a simple chest at the foot, and two desks, each with an uncomfortable-looking chair—but Dae didn’t complain. Father Douglas watched her reactions closely throughout their tour, and she had the impression he was hoping she would exhibit some manner of annoyance or anger over the meager accommodation…something which might be expected from the spoiled and coddled daughter of a noble lord. She maintained a calm, slightly curious expression and offered no complaint or protest, and was pleased to see this irked the priest.

“I know it’s not as private or comfortable as what you may be accustomed to, my lady, but we find it helpful to group the girls together with others in the same age range,” he explained.

“Why is that?” Dae asked, a little confused since this seemed like such a perfectly stupid idea to her. If their objective was to help the young women overcome their desire to bed with other young women, this sleeping arrangement seemed to be courting disaster.

“Well, this way you can all monitor one another…make certain there are no unpleasant incidents. I’ve overseen this reformatory for nearly fifty years now, and our services have aided many young women not only from Lord Everdeen’s lands, but also the surrounding territories. My acolytes run another facility in the north, where the same guidance is offered to young men who have similarly strayed. We operate on a strict system where oversight is rewarded, so any inappropriate behavior can be reported quickly and…addressed. It’s proven to be quite an effective means of ensuring those under our care don’t fall prey to their darker impulses.”

“I see.” Dae hid a smirk.

We’ll see.

“You’ll be expected to participate in counseling sessions with either myself or one of the other priests,” he told her as they walked on, “where we shall discuss some of the reasons why you’ve been tempted from the path of natural thinking, and see if we can’t find ways to move beyond them. You’ll also join some of the other girls who have experienced similar issues in group sessions, where you’ll be able to hear how they have handled their own prurient desires…and learn methods of overcoming your own.”

“Mmm.” Dae fought the urge to roll her eyes, but again she didn’t protest.

Out behind the main structure he showed her a small field with neatly planted rows of winter vegetables and herbs. He explained that she would be expected to help with the weeding and care of these gardens, as well as feeding the chickens housed nearby and collecting their eggs, milking the three goats penned beside the coup, laundry duty, cooking, and so forth. Again, he seemed hopeful that she would be outraged at the thought of lowering herself to such menial tasks, but Dae only smiled placidly and nodded her acceptance.

She didn’t much care how she spent her time since she doubted she’d be staying long. What was of far greater interest to her were the other young women she’d be spending that time with.

By the time Father Douglas concluded his tour, the two guards had returned with an assortment of clothing for her, some paper and sticks of charcoal for drawing, as well as an extra blanket. Dae was a little sad they hadn’t brought her paints, but she kept her disappointment private. They allowed her a few minutes to make up her new bed—she chose the one remaining bed in the room which was obviously not being used—and fold her clothing and the items neatly in the empty chest. After that she was shown to the bathroom and given time to wash up.

Like the bedrooms, the bathroom appeared to be semi-communal—a large, tiled room with several copper water spouts that served as shower heads, and screens made from slates of waxed wood which could be drawn for privacy. With so many rivers crisscrossing the country, even commoners had easy access to running water, so showers like this were used almost exclusively by the lower classes in the kingdom. Nobility, on the other hand, preferred the luxury of a steaming hot bath. Since she’d been born into such privilege Dae had never taken a shower before, but she found the experience to be quite a novel delight. The water was only slightly warmer than body temperature, but she didn’t mind. Dae happily stripped off her damp clothing and stepped under the spray, not bothering to close the privacy screen.

In the desert, even in El’Kasari where water was comparatively plentiful, bathing was typically conducted with a washcloth and a bowl of cool water, so even this seemed decadent. Humming to herself as she ran a bar of soap over and between her breasts and down her body, letting her hands linger over the silver ring at her left breast and delighting in the mildly erotic sensation of the spray hitting her skin, Dae happily pondered her change in location.

It was almost a shame, she thought, enjoying the slippery friction the soap created between her hands and skin. She rather wished her father had sent her here sooner. With Zafirah on her way, Dae wasn’t sure how much time she’d be spending among these people…or how much fun she’d be able to enjoy before her mate arrived. Dozens of young women, each of whom had expressed in some fashion a desire for forbidden pleasures, all brought together in this place to overcome those appetites—how could her thoughts not turn to lascivious contemplations? Without the same support and encouragement that Dae had received as she struggled with her own emerging sexuality, most had likely been shamed and guilted into repressing their desires. Dae wondered how much it would take to unclench their thighs, tempt them back into exploring their suppressed appetites.

She also doubted any of these girls had anywhere near her level of experience when it came to carnal exploits, which in itself was a fun thought. In Zafirah’s harem, the other women were all so much more experienced than she was, had all spent years exploring their sexual desires and practicing the arts of seduction and pleasure. Although Dae was no longer the innocent she had once been, she was still a comparative novice to the other pleasure-servants. This, however, was a very different environment. Dae liked the thought that here, she would be the one with the greater experience… that she might be able to introduce others to the same shameless appreciation of female pleasures that Inaya and the others had shown her. Though not as skilled in seduction as her friends in the seraglio, Dae was confident enough of her ability to believe she could readily entice a few girls into joining her for some intimate play. And even if she couldn’t, it would certainly be entertaining to try.

Turning her face into the spray from the shower, Dae parted her lips and let the water fill her mouth, then spit a fountain against the wall. Her thoughts were taking a distinctly libidinous turn as she brought the bar of soap down her abdomen to the smooth lips of sex. In the privacy of her room Dae had maintained her intimate grooming—it felt too itchy and uncomfortable not to—and with the knowledge of Zafirah’s imminent arrival combined with fantasies of leading a few new conquests to her bed in the meantime, she felt her arousal stirring.

The sound of bare feet on tile distracted her from her licentious ponderings, muffled giggles and quiet conversation, and Dae turned as two women entered the room. They looked to be around her age, both young and quite attractive, dressed alike in simple, threadbare bathrobes. They stopped as soon as they saw her, two mouths opening in silent gasps. Dae gave them a slightly feline smile, making no move to conceal her naked body and indeed turning to face them more directly, exposing her charms for their complete consideration. Their eyes dropped helplessly over her breasts, widening in shock when they came to the silver-and-sapphire sparkle of her marital piercing.

Dae’s smile grew a fraction wider. “Hello,” she greeted amicably. “I’m Dae…I just arrived.”

They remained frozen in their tracks, gaping at her, and a hungry little thrill skittered down Dae’s spine. She hadn’t been stared at so intimately in a while now—not since Aaliyah, and Sakinah before that—and it struck her just how much she missed the eyes of other women looking at her with naked appreciation. All that time in the seraglio, teasing the other pleasure-servants with the untasted delights of her body, growing ever more comfortable with their eyes upon her…Dae realized she had developed something of an exhibitionist streak during her time in the Jaharri. She continued running her soapy hands over her skin, watching one of the girls finally tear her eyes away from her firm breasts and back up to her face.

“Um…I-I’m Emily,” she stammered, “and this is Joss.” She gave her companion a sharp elbow to the ribs to break her from the spell she’d apparently fallen into.

The girl blushed and looked away. “Jocelyn,” she corrected shyly, flicking a furtive glance over the rest of Dae’s body and almost losing her composure again when her eyes fell upon the shaven crux between her thighs.

“A pleasure to meet you both,” Dae said, giving no indication that she’d noticed their lingering stares. She turned slightly away from them, setting aside the soap and rinsing away the lather. Turning off the shower, she walked over to the bench where she’d left her towel. “Have you been here long?” she asked conversationally as she dried herself, making no effort to cover up.

“Uh…nearly eight months. Joss has been here a bit longer,” Emily said, clutching her own towel to her chest. She seemed to shake off her surprise, straightening her shoulders and lifting her chin. “We usually use the privacy screens when showering.”

“Mmm…I’d guessed as much, but I’m not shy,” Dae said, flashing them a grin. “What time do they serve lunch here?”

Emily looked as though she wanted to press the issue of privacy screens further, but Dae’s casual response and change of subject threw her off balance. “Th-they’re just setting up now in the main hall.”

“Great. I missed breakfast this morning and I’m starving.”

“You…” A long pause. “You sound high-born,” Emily said.

Dae nodded, well aware her accent would betray her noble status. “I’m the daughter of Lord Richard of Everdeen,” she said, seeing the young women exchange glances as though this confirmed something they’d already suspected. “But ‘Dae’ is fine. I suppose there’s no need of formality in a place like this, is there?”

“We’d heard rumors about you,” Emily said hesitantly, watching Dae dress in the fresh clothing she’d laid out under her towel. “We thought it was just gossip, but…”

“I’m afraid not. Apparently, my father seems to think he can ‘fix’ me by sending me here, though I fear it’s a wasted effort. But if it makes him feel better, I won’t argue the issue.” She flipped her long damp hair back over her shoulder before bundling her dirty clothes up in her towel. “Anyway, I’ll leave the two of you to wash up.”

As she passed between them, Dae turned in a slow circle and allowed her gaze to wander over each girl in turn, trying to imitate the expression of salacious appreciation that was so characteristic among her friends in the harem. “I look forward to getting to know you both better while I’m here,” she said softly, giving them each a sultry smile and enjoying their matching expressions of shock.

Leaving Emily and Jocelyn to their bathing, Dae deposited her laundry and made her way back to the main hall, refreshed and invigorated. The hallway was cold and it felt wonderful to enter the dining area and the warmth emanating from the crackling fire. The morning had passed quickly and she was quite hungry. Several people were already gathered for lunch, but Dae waited a few minutes next to the fireplace, letting the chill ease from her joints and observing them, learning the routine.

When she was sufficiently warm, Dae copied their example and retrieved a plate from a stack on a table, then joined them in a line as they selected food from a long table. Her plate full, she looked around, found an empty table near the fireplace, and sat down by herself. She could again feel those furtive glances cast in her direction, could hear whispered conversations at the other tables, but she ignored their interest and began eating. The food was heavy with bacon grease, and a bit bland compared to the more spicy and flavorful cuisine she’d grown accustomed to in El’Kasari, but she enjoyed it all the same.

Her plate was half empty when a shadow fell across her. Dae looked up to find another young woman standing over her; a pretty brunette with a huge smile spread across her face.

“Hi,” the girl greeted, her voice fairly brimming with friendly enthusiasm. “I’m Kaylee. You looked a little lonely sitting here all by yourself, so I thought I’d come over and introduce myself. Do you mind if I join you?”

Dae shrugged lightly. “If you’d like.”

“Great!” Kaylee quickly took the seat across from Dae. “You’re Dae, right? I heard one of the other girls mention your name. You’re Lord Everdeen’s daughter, aren’t you?” Dae opened her mouth to respond, but Kaylee didn’t pause to let her. She prattled on happily, talking rapidly and with hardly a break to catch her breath. “That must be a little awkward for him I suppose, having to send his only daughter to a place like this. I mean, my Pa was pretty upset when he found out about me, so I can only imagine what it was like for you. We all heard the rumors from the guards who come by, plus some of the priests mentioned it as well, but we weren’t sure anything they said was true. It’s all so hard to believe, they said you’d been captured by the Jaharri and made to do all kinds of unspeakable things, but then your parents rescued you but you said you wanted to go back and didn’t feel any shame for what you’d done. Probably best to keep that sort of thing quiet while you’re here, since they’re trying to help us get better. Hey, by the way, we’re roommates! Isn’t that great? I saw you’d already made up your bed and everything. I hope you’re not a messy person, cos they like us to keep things really neat around here, but then I guess you wouldn’t be, being high-born and all. It’s nice to have a fourth person in the room; that bed’s been empty a while now, but now that you’re here I suppose…”

Dae’s fork was paused half-way between the plate and her mouth, and she could only stare at the girl in astonishment. She’d never heard anyone babble away like Kaylee, and wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. The rambling soliloquy at least gave her a chance to study her new friend. Kaylee was quite attractive, with long, wavy chestnut-brown hair and bright, hazel eyes set in a slightly full face. Her skin had the sun-tanned, weathered look of someone who spent most of their time outdoors, and a light dusting of freckles was splashed across her pert nose. Dae guessed she was likely raised in a rural setting, probably in one of the farming communities which dotted her father’s lands. She gestured a lot while she talked, waving her hands about to emphasize particular words. The smile never seemed to leave her face as she chattered on, and deep dimples formed in her cheeks. Dae let her gaze wander over her figure, which was impressively curvaceous.

When she looked back to her face, Dae found Kaylee had stopped talking and was looking at her expectantly. She’d stopped listening and realized the girl had asked her a question to which she appeared willing to wait for an answer.

“I’m sorry, I must have drifted there for a moment. What did you say?”

Kaylee smiled cheerfully and waved a hand. “That’s okay, it happens a lot. People tell me I talk too much, but I always say there’s no better way to get to know someone than by talking with them, right? If it bothers you, you can just tell me to shut up. I don’t mind. I was just asking if you snore. Of course, even if you do it’s not really a bother, since one of the other girls in our room—her name’s Tricia—she snores all the time. Cass and I are always teasing her about it because she keeps denying that she does it, but—”

“Um, no,” Dae said, cutting off what she suspected would be another long ramble. “No, I don’t snore…at least, no one’s ever mentioned it before. And I wouldn’t worry if I do, since I shouldn’t be here long in any event.”

“Oh? Why’s that? I mean, I’ve been here nearly a year now and I’m doing pretty well I guess, but it takes a while to overcome some of the evil thoughts people have, and I know—”

“There’s someone coming for me,” Dae interrupted again. “My wife.” Kaylee’s eyes widened at that, the smile slipping momentarily from her face. “Her name is Zafirah; she’s the Scion of El’Kasari and ruler of the Jaharri desert. Her army is on its way here now to see to my release.”

Kaylee appeared slightly taken aback by this statement, but it only lasted a moment before her eyes filled with animated excitement once more. “Really? That’s true? Tricia told me she’d overheard the priests talking about evacuating us to another monastery somewhere to the north because the Jaharri might be attacking this place, but I told her she must have heard wrong because there’s no way they’d make it all the way this far into the kingdom without the Royal Guard turning them back, but if you say it’s true then I guess it must be. Wow, I hope we’re safe here, cos I heard the Jaharri can be pretty nasty when they want to be, but of course I’ve never met any so I don’t know from personal experiences or anything. Are you going to go with them?”

Dae waited a breath to make certain she was going to be given time to answer, then nodded. “I love Zafirah very much. I belong with her, regardless of what my father or my mother or anyone else thinks.”

Kaylee remained silent as she processed this, then she looked around nervously and leaned across the table. Her voice dropped to a more conspiratorial volume. “If that’s true, I wouldn’t go around telling too many people…especially the priests. They talk with us a lot about our problems here, trying to help us understand what drives the unnatural thoughts and feelings we have sometimes, and they don’t like it when we refuse to listen to them. If you look like you’re not trying to get better, they can get pretty mean about it.” She paused, the smile vanishing and leaving her face looking strangely empty without it. “I mean, they can get really unpleasant. I had a difficult time when I first came here; I was just so confused, and even though I’m nearly all better now, if you’re not here to let them help you I’d suggest you play along anyway. That’s what some of the other girls do. Just…don’t go starting any trouble, cos it’s bad if you do.”

Dae finally took a bite from her fork and chewed it slowly, considering Kaylee’s words. She should have known something like this was going on. It made sense that the priests would employ forceful tactics to keep their charges in line…and the sudden realization that her father had sent her here, knowing what might be done to her, made her heart ache a little.

But only a little. There’d been too many angry, heated words between them for this to surprise her too much.

She offered Kaylee a grateful smile. “Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to stay on their good side.”

Kaylee’s smile reappeared immediately, radiant as a summer sunrise. “That’s good to hear. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one to judge what other people do in their private time, especially since I got all confused myself there for a while, but I’d hate to see you get in any trouble.”

“So…” Dae tilted her head, giving Kaylee a curious, mischievous look. “You said some of the other girls are also just playing along…?”

“Well, sure, but there’s no real way of knowing who they are since no-one wants to get caught doing anything bad in case someone finds out about it and tells Father Douglas and then it’s just bad for everybody.” Kaylee paused again, spotting the playful expression on Dae’s face. “I-I thought you said you had a wife, anyway?”

“I do.” Dae shrugged, still smiling. “But among the Jaharri, relationships tend to be a little more…flexible…than they are in the Heartland. Though we are committed to one another body and soul, Zafirah and I don’t limit ourselves to sharing pleasure only with each other. Our relationship is such that we remain free to explore our desires openly with others. I thought you’d heard the stories about me; that I was in a harem…and all those wicked things I did…”

Kaylee’s eyes had grown very wide, color bloomed in her cheeks, and it took her a long moment to process this information. “I-I wasn’t sure that was true,” she said quietly. But then she shook her head and resumed her fast-paced chatter. “Well, anyway, like I said I’m nearly all better now. I promised my Pa I’d be good and do everything the priests told me, because he was so disappointed in me and I don’t want him to think I’m doing anything wrong again. Hopefully I’ll be able to go home soon, but it’s hard to know cos the priests have to be sure you’re really better and—” She broke off mid-sentence, shutting her mouth abruptly as her eyes suddenly fixated on something behind Dae. The other conversations in the room had also quieted, and Dae turned to see what the cause of this distraction was.

Another young woman had entered the dining hall…and it was immediately apparent how she had rendered so much of the room mute. Tall and gracefully slender, only a subtle curve outlined her hips and breasts. Her skin was even paler than Dae’s, her posture so rigid it looked painful, and she carried herself with a poise and bearing that distinguished her instantly from the other young women. She wore a flowing dress of pale blue cloth and a white bodice, the clothing made of clinging, fine cotton and embroidered with a pattern of roses—not the sort of attire a commoner could ever afford. Most striking of all was her hair; long and layered, it shone in the firelight like strands of spun platinum, silver-white and gleaming. The young woman swept the room with a single, imperious glance, and even from a distance Dae could see her eyes were a clear, cold blue…like shards of glacial ice. Chin lifted in an expression of haughty disdain, she strode across the room and cut to the front of the line of people waiting to collect their food; everyone hastily shuffled backwards to accommodate her.

Dae looked back to Kaylee and was amused to find her staring at the newcomer with wide eyes, a flash of naked lust sparking unmistakably in their hazel depths. When she caught Dae looking at her with a half-smile, Kaylee blushed and immediately looked away. “That’s Lyric,” she said quietly…and offered no further elaboration.

“I see.” Dae’s eyes sparkled. “I don’t suppose she’d be the fourth person sharing our room?”

“Uh…no…she has her own room all to herself.” Kaylee had apparently remembered the plate of food in front of her and seemed to suddenly find it extremely interesting. “Lyric’s like you—high-born. Nobody knows what House she’s from, but she’s been here a long time. Longer than anyone else, at least. I guess her family are still figuring out what to do with her, so she’s just kind of…stuck here. But since she’s cured the priests let her have a private room as a reward for all the progress she’s made.”

High-born…another daughter of the nobility. That explained the young woman’s bearing and attitude. Dae’s grin turned playful. “That’s too bad,” she said in a low, teasing voice. “I think you’d enjoy spending some time with her in a more intimate setting as much as I would.”

Kaylee looked up sharply, her cheeks blazing with furious color. “Shhh! That’s not true!”

“Oh?”

“No! I-I’m nearly better,” Kaylee stammered. “I don’t have those feelings anymore, and certainly not for Lyric. She’s just…I don’t…I respect her, that’s all. She’s come a long way and I admire her for all the progress she’s made. I’ve heard she’s going to be going home soon. Her family are already working to arrange a marriage to a good man, and that’s what I want for myself someday.”

“I see.” But Dae could see the embers still glowing in Kaylee’s eyes, though she’d done her best to stamp them out. Gods, she wondered, were my own desires so obvious whenever I looked at Zafirah? No wonder Inaya and the others weren’t convinced when I kept telling them I didn’t share their interests.

“I couldn’t really blame you if you were attracted to her,” she said mildly, watching Lyric take her plate to a small, unoccupied table in the corner and primly begin eating. “I’ve spent a lot of time around some of the most beautiful and exotic women in all the desert, and even I’m impressed. She’s quite stunning.” In an arrogant, conceited sort of way, she thought, but didn’t say out loud.

Kaylee had stuffed a large forkful of mashed potatoes into her mouth to keep it from responding, but the treacherous color in her cheeks remained.

“If you did find her attractive,” Dae continued conversationally, “perhaps I could help you.”

Kaylee looked up at her now, expression wary. She hastily chewed and swallowed. “Help me? How?”

“Well…perhaps I could teach you a few things. Help you to learn if your interest might be reciprocated.” Those hazel-brown eyes widened alarmingly, and Dae gave a lazy, seductive grin. “It could be fun. I’ve learned a lot about tempting a woman’s true desires to the surface…and many ways of satisfying those desires once they are revealed.”

That heat flared again in Kaylee’s eyes before she managed to shake her head firmly. “Like I said, I don’t feel that way about Lyric…or any other woman. Not anymore.” She looked back to her food and added in a quieter tone, “Besides, Lyric is cured.”

“Hmm. Well, it couldn’t hurt to double check.”

“I wouldn’t try anything with her unless you want to get in really big trouble,” Kaylee warned. “She doesn’t like it when people talk to her, and if you did try something she’d be quick to report you. Lyric is a favorite of the priests because she’s done so well with her counseling and because she follows their rules to the letter. If you’re leaving soon, you shouldn’t do anything to draw extra attention to yourself.”

“I’m not sure that can be avoided,” Dae said, noticing that the two girls she’d met in the showers had just entered the dining room; as soon as they spotted her they began whispering and giggling to each other. She guessed it wouldn’t take them long to spread the story about their encounter to all their friends…and figured the detail of her pierced nipple—something so barbaric and unheard of in this kingdom—would be featured heavily in that story. That suited Dae just fine; she wanted to make a splash, get the other women talking. It would make it easier to draw them into her game.

“Anyway,” Kaylee went on as though their previous line of conversation hadn’t happened, “we’re going to be spending most of the afternoon outside tending to the vegetable garden. Aside from meat and grain, we grow most of the food here ourselves; vegetables, eggs, herbs and chicken. The priests like to put us to work because they say idle hands wander, which I suppose means we’re less likely to do anything bad if they keep us busy. I don’t mind it though, since I like working outside. The rooms take it in turns to do the chores around here, so you’ll get to meet the other two girls in our room, that’s Tricia and Cass. They’re both really nice, except that Tricia snores—I told you that, right?—but you’ll see for yourself. Do you like gardening? There’s a great view from the monastery over the estate gardens, they’re just amazing. But then I guess you’ve seen them up close, haven’t you, since this is your father’s land…”

Dae listened to her new friend prattle away, only half listening as she cleared her plate. She found herself taking a bit of a shine to Kaylee; she was just so bubbly and vivacious and sweetly unable to control herself…rather like an over-exuberant puppy. The fact that she was so very clearly infatuated with Lyric yet still insisted she wasn’t also seemed endearing; Dae remembered what that was like from her time in the harem, before she’d accepted her own desires and learned more about the pleasures they offered. That Kaylee was also blessed with such wholesome good looks and an intriguingly voluptuous figure didn’t hurt matters either.

Dae knew she would be returning to the desert sooner or later—and she guessed it would be sooner—but thought it would be nice to have at least one good tale of debauchery to share with Inaya and the rest of her friends in the harem. She glanced at Lyric—still sitting with her back perfectly straight, ignoring everyone around her as she slowly and delicately picked at her lunch—then back to Kaylee.

Perhaps she’d found a story here worth the telling.

Continued

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy