Dreamscape:

A Mythology of the Ancient Lesbian World

by Anne Azel C 2007

a_azel@hotmail.com


F rom nothing comes all things. Windsong gently swirls through timeless darkness until a pinpoint vortex erupts outwards into a windstorm. From nothing comes all things. Hear the rhythm of Windsong. Feel the drum beat of her soul. The heart, the lover of the universe calls to you. Hear her heart drum. The Tribe is not alone. Listen. Windsong calls to you.

 

M other Earth was formed from the womb of energy. Ancient in form and youthful in dress, she is ageless. With Windsong's love, she formed and shaped all things on her surface. Their daughter, Sun, is the heat of their mating. Their daughter, Rain, the liquid of passion. Feel the caress of Sun on your face. The heat of love radiates its warmth to our souls. Sun is the source of the passion for the land and for the Tribe. Her burning force is part of who we are. Only we can understand the depths of such female love. Feel the gentle touch of Rain. She brings life and her cool waters cleanse the land. Rain is the source of deep rooted wisdom. She is the liquid life that flows within The Tribe.

 

S torms are born on the peaks of Earth's mountains when Rain and her mother, Windsong, meet. Rain's youthful energy drums the message of Windsong to the land. Listen. It is a message of life, of wonder, of us. Rain sends Windsongs message along the flow of rivers. They in turn leave the message on the rocks. To understand the message of Windsong you must first be in harmony with the land.

 

T he river stones tell the history of The Tribe. Many kinds, worn and beautiful scattered along the flow of time. This is the coming of age of The Tribe. The deep secret within us makes us who we are. Be proud.

 

The spirit of Turtle is our teacher. The keeper of our ancient truths buried in our depths. Sometimes Windsong takes the form of Turtle and can move within us. The Tribe have carved their history on their souls and hearts. It is passed from sister to sister. A silent truth. Only Windsong truly understands us. The Tribe now builds their fires on the ground of those who have gone before. Their stories live still on the face of the new born.

 

T he mountain Ravens are an ancient species. They are the eyes of Windsong and her messenger. Sometimes on the beat of their wings, The Tribe can almost hear Windsong's message. When they scrape their becks against the rock, they bring the thunder. Rain listens and obeys her mother Windsong's messenger.

 

T he Snow Spirits are both beautiful and powerful. They drape the world in white. T rees bow at their passing and the mountain peaks are conquered at their command. Some say the Snow Spirits escaped when Windsong sighed and so are magical and powerful. But they were born on a sigh and so can be destructive.

 

T he Elemental spirits of the land are powerful. Only Windsong and the Ravens remember how they formed at the dawn of time. They can provide or snatch away. Air, fire, water, and land are in a constant struggle. The Tribe must understand this and maintain a balance. The future must be in harmony with Windsong's wishes. Air caresses and brings life, but can rage if angered. Fire is gentle and warm within the hearth, but a savage beast when freed onto the land. Water quenches and cleanses, but can become a violent torrent. Land bears all things beautiful and useful, but can turn to dust if abused. The spirits of the land provide only for those who show respect.

 

L isten to the heartbeat beat of the Elementals: The air whistling down valleys, the rush of Water over stone, the snap of Fire and the rustle of leaves across Land. They all have stories to tell. Listen and respect. They are Windsongs creation. Deep in the waters of our souls is the Spirit Place. Only turtle knows the way. Only Turtle can read all the messages of Windsong that Rain has sent.

 

F ire can release the spirits to return to Windsong. Their earthly shells snap and crack and then tiny spirits flare and dance back up into the heavens from the fire. Land embraces Windsong's creations. Only she can truly protect all living things.

Within us lives the awareness of Windsong's creatures. We must remember their history and ways.

 

W olf is the wanderer. She sees all and knows all but takes no part. Only Wolf knows all the ancient history of the land. Wolf is the dark one, neither good nor bad. She lurks within us. The grey fur between truth and deception. Windsong put a bit of wolf in each of The Tribe so that we could feel connected to the Ancient Ones. But the wolf within The Tribe also makes us restless and sly. We are always seeking for the powers that Windsong denied us.

 

B ear is the oldest of the animals. The wise one. It is said that Bear was born from a massive boulder and is a cousin to The Tribe who were made from river stones. Bear gives The Tribe our sense of right and wrong.

 

C ougar alone of all the animals can hear the drums of the spirits clearly. Cougar's soul is fire, her eyes liquid gold, and her heart the land. Within her veins runs the waters of passion. Cougar gives The Tribe our courage but also the wildness within. Deer is the quiet one. Windsong calls Deer the Gentle Soul. Of all the animals, Deer is the closest to what Windsong wanted. She is felt in the gentleness of our love.

 

T he Tribe's Ancient Ones lived among and within us. Their memories are part of our souls and part of the dream world. This is their creation story. One day, Windsong gathered river stones of different colours and shapes and placed them in a pile. Wolf saw this and was curious. He tipped over the pile and many different people came into being. Some of the pebbles drifted down into deep water, while most fell along the shoreline. Those that reached the depths of Rain's being felt the touch of Windsong's love. The female power. They became us, the Tribe. Because Windsong had not finished with the pile of pebbles, The People do not know who they were. The People split into two groups. Some walked into the north and became the caribou. The lost. Some walked into the valleys and forgot Windsong. They are The People. They lost touch with the inner animals and elements of our beginning and must seek the knowledge again. The Tribe followed them. We are one with them and separate from them. We are The Tribe and we understand and feel what the others can't.

 

A ir is the Raven's breath. It refreshes the soul of The Tribe but can turn violent and tear down all that is created. Fire is the giver of warmth and the scorcher of life. It lies tame within the stones of the hearth, but when she breaks free she is a hungry beast. The soul of fire takes the form of a cougar. Rain is the giver of life and the storms of spring. Rain can gently caress the earth but when it breaks free of its banks she attacks like a vicious beast. The soul of Rain takes the form of a turtle. Land is the protector, the embrace of Windsong. On her face grows all things that are beautiful, but when she cracks open she reveals a hot, molten core. The soul of Land takes the form on a wolf.

 

Raccoon is the keeper of the moon. When she emerges from her den, the moon will rise above the trees. Raccoon sees the darkness within us and sheds light. Squirrel is Windsong's gardener rushing to plant each seed before the frost can touch them. Squirrel teaches us responsibility. Skunk and porcupine are the land's guards. They teacher us to respect. Chipmunk lives below the ground until she is fully grown. Of all the creatures she understands the Land best and warns us of what can come. Moose is an old one. Next to Raven and bear, she is the elder of the forest. Learn from her. Cougar is the lawless one. Only she and wolf live by their own rules within us.

 

Listen to the Windsong. She calls to us. Listen.

 

Author's Page

Return to Main Page