Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“Angel”

Episode 12

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – CEMETARY – NIGHT

The night is cool and clear. There is crispness to the world, a vividness in sound and appearance that goes beyond the sensed and into felt.

Buffy and Angel walk close together, their elbows nearly touching. They are alone, the Scooby Gang nowhere in sight.

Angel, willingly opening his mind, musing

ANGEL

Vampires don't change.

BUFFY

There goes the great, fashion mystery.

ANGEL

I'm serious. New carries danger, constancy safety.

BUFFY

Familiar faces and places?

Angel, fondly

ANGEL

The first: dear Darla, Spike, and Drusilla. The Fanged Four.

Buffy, with a hint of insecurity, quietly

BUFFY

What did she mean to you?

Angel, noncommittally

ANGEL

Angelus loved her, Liam burned with hatred.

Buffy, suddenly very interested in the answer, pushing

BUFFY

And Angel?

Angel, admitting, honestly

ANGEL

Mourns her.

Buffy effortlessly moves in front of Angel, blocking his progress. This conversation is happening and now.

Buffy, searching vampire's face for deception, firmly before softening with a quip

BUFFY

What do I mean to you? All of you. Ever hold conversations with yourself?

Angel, answering without answering, evasively

ANGEL

The vote is unanimous, thou not the reasons. Angel is Liam and Angelus is not welcome.

Pause.

Angel, seeing Buffy not buying what he is selling, allowing

ANGEL

You are the different and different is scary; very good but scary.

Buffy, pleased

BUFFY

Buffy: putting fear in boys since, like ever.

ANGEL

I'm afraid I passed that awkward stage centuries ago.

The Slayer resumes walking and Angel joins her, closer than before; their arms brush.

BUFFY

What's a two hundred years between … your parts work?

ANGEL

One way to find out …

BUFFY

Unfortunately, it's fatal.

ANGEL

There is that.

Buffy, thoughtfully

BUFFY

Maybe not.

Pause.

Buffy, spilling the hope on Angel's inquisitive look, hesitantly

BUFFY

… Rack offered help.

Angel, his tone revealing the regard he holds for that idea, reservedly cynical

ANGEL

That be the evil warlock with an agenda - premiere candidate for sterling example of humanity?

The Slayer brings them to the halt again. The vampire, used to the way she does things, lets her be.

Buffy paces a few times in front of Angel and then rounds on him.

Buffy, taking the long way and working up the courage, lightly

BUFFY

He does the dirty with succubus, shares numerous children, and last time I checked, still alive; don't get manlier than that. You see horns, tail, wings, and hooves and you hit that, you are a hero in my book. Thanks to Giles, I suffered the medieval manuscripts; strangely, Willow collects the illustrations. She starts wearing leather and chains and I am out of there.

Angel, steering the conversation to the crux of the matter, pointedly

ANGEL

How is she?

He does not refer to witch's well-being.

Buffy, carefully

BUFFY

Devoted.

ANGEL

To you.

Buffy, laying out all her cards, emotionally

BUFFY

Eighteen hellish days before I wrote the suicide note, put the pills to my temple, and rested the finger on the trigger; know what I realized?

The Slayer takes out the cross and turns it over. The teen shows it to Angel and he nods sadly, expecting the engraving to end them. Buffy is not done.

Buffy, handing Angel her bookmarked diary, sincerely

BUFFY

Only leather jacket and engagement cross matter: dad and Watchers' Council shower money and material things; mom simply loves, it's the blood thing; Giles struggles mightily but he is British; Xander is best friend; Willow is … home.

Angel takes the diary gingerly, as if the contents thereof could harm him. Maybe they could.

Buffy, tearfully

BUFFY

You are the one I trust with it. Read from the break.

Buffy turns away and departs, stepping a fair distance before coming to a stop.

Buffy, whispering

BUFFY

I chose you, Angel.

Angel stands frozen for the longest time, his hearing having little trouble catching the words. Then he secures the book inside his coat and goes to Buffy.

The tortured mixed halts a hair's breadth behind the Slayer; instinctively seeking comfort, she leans back and rests her head on his chest. Vamping out, Angel keeps tight reigns on the demon inside. His hands clench into firsts yet he remains perfectly still otherwise.

In the further proof of her trust, Buffy relaxes her body and sinks into his. Separated by cloth and leather, the Slayer and vampire are as close as they can ever be. Together and happy, it gives them hope for the future.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – CEMETARY – NIGHT

Buffy and Angel stroll around the older section, where the crypts are more numerous and the recently dead significantly less. The night around them continues its earlier, sharp performance; the risen wind adds bite.

Buffy, dreamily

BUFFY

The stars, the moon, and no clouds – a girl could be forgiven for waxing romantic.

Angel, tensing, curtly

ANGEL

Vampires.

Buffy, miffed

BUFFY

Yes, you are one. Way to ruin the mood, Romeo.

ANGEL

Vampires around us, in numbers.

The Slayer and vampire take out the stakes.

Buffy, titling her head, her senses extended 360, grinning

BUFFY

Thinking what I am thinking?

ANGEL

Net?

BUFFY

Give this hunk a fish.

Buffy bolts to the side, Angel close behind.

The pursuers spread for herding and this presents a problem when the prey attacks instead of running. The two closest VAMPIRES go down, one poof from a swift Slayer strike and the other afflicted with wood poisoning as well, but courtesy of Angel.

As short and brutal the fight, remaining VAMPIRES don't need more time; the brief delay is enough. The chase is on with the mixed presenting a death sentence if they catch the two. Buffy and Angel can't handle those numbers alone or with Scooby Gang. Not with a new player taking the field.

Showing that the initial trap was a setup and this is the real one, the MASTER patiently awaits at the conclusion of their current course. The only other avenue of escape is an old, ruined monastery, with the gate ajar. Set on a rise to the right, the grounds spread substantial behind the crumbling wall.

Buffy barrels straight for the MASTER, figuring her death is worth one old bloodsucker.

Curiously, the VAMPIRES behind them spread out, forming a curve that funnels escape into the area between the MASTER and monastery. It appears the Slayer and vampire's choices have narrowed to a showdown or entering church property. It is a sure bet both are fatal in their unique way.

Buffy goes for the obvious target, Angel keeping pace. The dozen plus VAMPIRES stay back but within reaction distance.

Angel, warning the charging Buffy

ANGEL

Buffy, Master!

The Slayer's flying knee misses the MASTER, but Mr. Pointy catches his cheek on follow up and leaves a crimson groove. Landing, Buffy signals Angel to back off; she got this.

Buffy, confidently

BUFFY

Been there, kicked that ass. As asses go, apple pie.

Angel complies with her wishes, keeping an eyes on the attendant VAMPIRES surrounding them.

Buffy, taunting

BUFFY

Hey ugly; more plastic surgery, coming painfully soon.

MASTER, taking out a necklace of human trophies, smiling

MASTER

Watchers inform you quarter Chosen die within weeks of being called? Sixteen thumbs, one for each foolish girl.

BUFFY

Aw, sweet sixteen; you shouldn't have.

The Slayer feints and goes for scissor kick takedown, ending the move with an elbow strike that cracks some ribs.

Buffy, rolling away into an upright stance, coldly

BUFFY

You really shouldn't.

The MASTER does a kip-up and transforms his face once on his feet.

MASTER, laughing

MASTER

No Master in Hemery High, just a vampire sold on his importance.

BUFFY

Slayer, now with guarantee: dusted or no money back.

Buffy and MASTER come in a blinding exchange of punches, completely blocked and avoided on both sides.

After a minute of futility they break and Buffy starts circling the MASTER who stands his ground.

The watching VAMPIRES, acting on hidden signal, move closer. The Slayer and Angel are running out of time.

Buffy, behind the MASTER, gestures to her boyfriend and attacks. At the same time, Angel joins the fight.

Timing it perfectly, the MASTER jumps up and split kicks both, sending them flying. His hands change into claws and the MASTER is on Angel before the vampire can recover. The MASTER stabs him in the gut, using his fingers to rip five holes before Buffy comes flying and kicks the MASTER hard in the behind, sending him tumbling.

Picking up the injured vampire, the Slayer offers her shoulder and guides wounded Angel towards the gate. Behind them, the MASTER regains his feet.

MASTER, leisurely strolling towards the monastery, calling out

MASTER

Do stay for fast death or run inside for slow one.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONASTERY FRONT GATE - NIGHT

Buffy manages to get them to the opening and pauses to catch her breath in it.

Buffy, stating her defiance, determined

BUFFY

A chance is enough.

The MASTER claps in approval. Behind him, seventeen VAMPIRES begin to bunch up on approach, no longer needing to maintain the cordon.

Dragging Angel, the Slayer enters the holy ground and the gate shuts behind her with a moan of rusty metal. Buffy and her boyfriend vanish into thin air.

MASTER, with respect

MASTER

I would have made the same choice.

The MASTER splits into cloud of crows and takes flight. The VAMPIRES all rush off after him, following him closely on the ground.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

The digital clock announces 1AM in red. Willow sits on the bed in her PJ's, reading a book.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

The same clock informs that 3:39AM is here. Willow, still awake, is a teary ball of misery on the bed. Box of fresh tissues keeps her fears company; few used, scrunched up ones are bunched up around her.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – BUFFY'S BEDROOM – NIGHT

It is 5:10 when Willow finally stirs and reluctantly reaches for the phone on night table. Witch's resistance is driven by the fact that making the call marks the end of the wait and the beginning of something much worse.

Willow, sniffling

WILLOW

Dial Giles.

The cell does.

Giles, picking up on second ring, worried

GILES

Tell me this is a prank.

Willow, crying

WILLOW

Buffy didn't come home.

Giles, hiding behind the stoic mask, matter of fact

GILES

Tracker?

Willow, guiltily

WILLOW

Offline since midnight. If only …

Giles, cutting in, sternly

GILES

Stay there; Sunnydale kills. Xander at parents or Coven?

WILLOW

Still slumming in the basement.

GILES

Buffy has Tasers under the bed. Bar the door and watch the windows. I will gather everyone.

Pause.

Giles, adding gently

GILES

And Willow?

WILLOW

Yes?

Giles, reassuringly

GILES

Buffy is alive.

Willow, instantly, with conviction

WILLOW

She is.

The call ends.

Willow, looking out into the dark beyond the windows, resolutely

WILLOW

And I will prove it.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – XANDER'S HOUSE – PREDAWN

Xander ambles down the fractured cement to the sidewalk, in no better a condition than the path leading from the house.

Xander, sudden thought striking him, dread creeping into his voice

XANDER

She wouldn't …

The teen whips out his phone and frenetically checks Willow's location. The news is not good.

Xander, putting the device away, dismayed

XANDER

Oh, Willow. Why did you have to love her and not me?

Frantic, Xander sweeps his eyes over the barren, scourged landscape of the decaying neighborhood and spots a rusted, beat up bike. The machine is young girl's, with a fade of pink and tassels on handlebars. Most important, the bike looks functional.

Slinging the crossbow, Xander is on the abandoned relic and pedaling furiously in the blink of an eye. And just for the heck of it, he rings the bell, adding an unneeded layer of weird to the sight of a boy, grown nearly a man, taking excessive joy in wheeled transportation for kids.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – GILES' CAR - PREDAWN

Giles and Jenny are racing down the empty street when Xander contacts him. Jenny reaches for the docked phone and puts it on speaker. The casualness of the action betrays her frequency in this vehicle.

Xander, breathing hard, shouting wildly

XANDER VOICE-OVER

Giles, Willow is going after Buffy! Alone!

Giles curses unintelligibly and Jenny steps in.

Jenny, bringing up satellite navigation, calmly

JENNY

How far are you behind?

With her free hand, the gypsy brings out the mobile and checks the Scooby Gang locator app. Giles concentrates on driving faster, not safer.

Xander, settling down a little, huffing effort

XANDER VOICE-OVER

Ditched bike … five minutes tops … monastery up ahead … need sweet oxygen.

Pause.

Xander, excited

XANDER

I see her!

Abrupt dial tone announces the cut off in communication.

Jenny, reading the GPS, informationally

JENNY

There is an old, dirt access road, past the railroad tracks.

Giles, grumbling

GILES

Genius IQ wasted on girlish idiocies.

Jenny, staring right at the Watcher, meaningfully

JENNY

The heart feels not thinks.

That shuts up Giles mighty quick.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONASTERY FRONT GATE – SUNRISE

Willow watches Xander struggle crossing the open, grass field separating them. Her best friend's valiant rescue by wheel and foot is no match for Rosenberg's car parked between them.

As the first rays of sun strike her face, Willow turns around and goes inside. The gate repeats the earlier, creaky performance. Like Buffy and Angel, she vanishes.

Xander's final burst meets with barred failure. There is no trace of the witch, only the emptiness of the overgrown grounds past the barrier. Exhausted, Xander slumps down to the dirt; there, he lies, done.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONASTERY FRONT GATE – EARLY MORNING

With a screech of tires, the librarian slides to a stop. Giles and Jenny jump out and rush to Xander's side.

The best the boy can manage is a weak smile in greeting.

Xander, joking

XANDER

I coughed my left lung on the bike, exploded the right one the way up, and gave a twenty one gun salute to my heart seconds ago. Physical fitness is highly overrated.

Giles, not sympathetic in the least, cynically

GILES

You are a right miracle.

Jenny ignores them. Gathering few small stones, the gypsy moves her lips as she tosses her findings thru the gaps in the gate.

The stones disappear once on the other side and not one of them lands. Giles helps Xander sit up and they witness the end of the rock show spectacular.

GILES

Going inside an option?

Jenny, cryptically, troubled

JENNY

This place is wrong.

XANDER

It eats people?

Jenny, solemnly

JENNY

It does not exist.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE - MORNING

Giles surfs the WAO from the comfort of his usual throne while Xander paces and frets, picking up books at random and setting them down without reading. Each man deals with the recent events in their own way.

Xander, finally confronting Giles, upset

XANDER

So what: they are dead?

Giles, neutrally

GILES

I don't know.

Xander, mistaking lack of emotion for lack of caring, agitated

XANDER

You are Watcher! You must know!

Pause.

Xander, more to convince self, persuasively

XANDER

Buffy, Angel, and Willow went somewhere, wherever that somewhere is. If there is an in, there is an out. Isn't there?

Giles, sighing

GILES

I don't know.

XANDER

Rack …

Giles, strongly

GILES

Is a nonstarter; count the warlock in enemy camp, not among friends.

Xander, indignant

XANDER

You cannot …

GILES

Hear the “married to evil” klaxon blaring?

Xander, weakly

XANDER

That's like most couples.

Giles, striking true, curtly

GILES

Judging by sin that is your father?

Xander approaches and plops into the official Jenny chair, a staple in Watcher's life.

Xander, deflated

XANDER

Low blow.

Giles, spinning to face the teen, grim

GILES

Accurate; the three of us are the Scooby Gang. Smell the harsh facts.

XANDER

Amy?

GILES

A distraction.

XANDER

The invisible man?

Giles, wryly

GILES

You do know what nemesis means?

Xander, lightly

XANDER

Hulking giant with chain gun and pizza face?

Giles, not amused, stone faced

GILES

No.

XANDER

He cares about Willow and his dealings with Buffy are on the level.

GILES

Two words: Big Bad.

Pause.

GILES

Xander, trust in us.

Xander, scornfully

XANDER

The half that is not missing? The leftovers?

Giles, showing faith in them

GILES

No; family.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – NIGHT

Mouse walks in with pizza and beer into the teeth of research tornado. Books, papers, and illustrations detonated some time earlier and now cover everything. Among the mass of paper, four human forms turn their questioning, bleary sights onto the new arrival: Giles, Jenny, Xander, and surprisingly, Cordelia.

Cordelia, ever polite in the company of less fortunate, disdainfully

CORDELIA

Who ordered bum?

Mouse, taking in the bloodless carnage, smiling

MOUSE

What's a score like you doing in a loser central like this?

Cordelia, dramatically

CORDELIA

I had this stupid notion to ask about Buffy after school, on account of her missing yet again and the genocide that is sure to begin in her absence - pure self-preservation.

Pause.

Cordelia, glaring at Giles, gruffly

CORDELIA

Then Giles quilted me into helping.

Xander, helpfully

XANDER

He flagellates.

Jenny, grinning

JENNY

Only on weekends and in the bedroom.

Giles finds that his glasses urgently need polishing.

CORDELIA

So not needed to hear that.

XANDER

I second that.

MOUSE

Third.

Jenny, wickedly

JENNY

I was there and I say with utter certainty: make that see and fourth.

Giles, acidly

GILES

We done playing whack-a-librarian?

XANDER

No … yes.

Mouse clears a space on the floor and sets down the pizzas and six pack of beer. Popping open a bottle, he offers it to the cheerleader, who gratefully takes it. He repeats with others.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONSTERY – IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1850/MORNING

One hundred sixty years into the past the place retains its shape, although with decidedly more upkeep. The mission is old even then, but well maintained. There are flourishing gardens and full animal pens. MONKS are visible throughout, hard at work on the premises. Chanting comes from the chapel.

A troop of barefoot AMERICAN INDIAN CHILDREN enter the gates and break down by age. Each group is then escorted by a MONK to their respective classes.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONSTERY FRONT GATE – 1850/MORNING

Another visitor plods the dusty path to the gate. Mouse, dressed in plain, worn clothes that seen abundant helpings of needle and thread, comes to a stop, not that there is anything to hinder his progress. The doors are wide open and inviting – if you are human. Mixed; entirely different story.

In sharp contrast to the modern appearance, there is no single, time-eaten metal gate. The doors are double and wood, the walls of the compound thick and strong with adobe brick, and the life inside pulses.

Mouse's hesitation brings over a CURIOUS MONK.

CURIOUS MONK, amiably

CURIOUS MONK

Lord provides, traveler. Enter, if your soul is pure and intent good.

Mouse, disarmingly

MOUSE

Don't suppose there is an exception?

CURIOUS MONK, clearly accustomed to less pious visitors, politely

CURIOUS MONK

I will get the abbot. Please wait.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONSTERY FRONT GATE – 1850/MORNING

The ABBOT is a man in his eighties, sculpted but not broken by age.

ABBOT, straight to the point, evenly

ABBOT

What's your business, demon?

MOUSE

Mayor Wilkins welcomes the Chronicler to Sunnydale.

Mouse takes out a small, linen wrapped bundle. Delicately removing the protection, the mixed reveals an ancient manuscript.

The ABBOT passes a hand over it, closing his eyes and concentrating. Satisfied, he opens them and takes the book after covering it back up. Turns around, he heads into the courtyard.

ABBOT, over his shoulder, casually

ABBOT

Follow if you are able.

Mouse does. Predictably, the moment his feet cross into the holy ground, he staggers and nearly drops. Gathering himself, Mouse pushes thru the discomfort and proceeds onward.

Mouse, catching up to the ABBOT, pained

MOUSE

Good is overrated.

ABBOT, chuckling

ABBOT

And evil misunderstood.

MOUSE

Glad we got that sorted.

Small talk exchanged, Mouse and ABBOT continue in silence; fitting, given the location.

CUT TO:

INT. MONSTERY – CHRONICLER'S LIBRARY – 1850/MORNING

The large room is unusual in its furniture. Where shelves pregnant with books are expected, tall cabinets line the walls and march the stone floor. There is not a single volume in sight except for the ones spread on the large, oak desk.

Likely owing to the nature and rarity of texts, they are veiled behind wood and magic. The knowledge rests secure, safe from prying eyes and ill-meaning lips.

The Chronicler fits the exotic collection, looking out of place in brown monk's robes.

The ABBOT deposits the treasure on the desk and presents it for viewing; bowing, the head monk then departs, leaving the demons alone.

Chronicler, picking up and inspecting the gift, shrewdly

CHRONICLER

The dice is cast?

Mouse, wary yet honest

MOUSE

Richard Wilkins' ambition in action; his messengers beg your indulgence.

CHRONICLER

What's the poison?

Mouse, trembling and starting to sweat, terrified

MOUSE

Creeping Death … soon.

Chronicler, taking Mouse by the arm and leading him, kindly

CHRONICLER

We both have things to do.

CUT TO:

INT. MONSTERY – OUTSIDE CHRONICLER'S LIBRARY – 1850/MORNING

The Chronicler walks away, down the hallway, and exits thru the door.

Mouse falls to his knees and then goes to all fours as the heaving begins to vacate his insides. The vomit is a red, viscous fluid, coming in starts and running together to form a single puddle.

The last thing to empty is a coin, hitting the ground with a tinkling sound. The few clinging drops of Creeping Death abandon their ride to freedom and make for the community of the puddle.

Once the money is clear and safe to handle, Mouse grabs the coin. Backing rapidly from the goo, the mixed takes to his feet and flees.

CUT TO:

EXT. MONSTERY – MONASTERY FRONT GATE – 1850/MORNING

Not minding the alarmed MONKS, Mouse sprints for the gate. The demon screams anguish when passing the demarcation and falls, body racked with tremors. Crawling, he clears the opening, stopping when he hits a set of boots attached to a pair of legs.

Mouse opens the hand holding the coin and finds charred dust. The talisman gave its being for his life, serving as escape, but not without a price.

The monastery shimmers like a mirage and disappears. The familiar image of a ruin replaces the real thing.

Mouse, looking up, pissed

MOUSE

We could have died!

Mayor, smiling

MAYOR

That's the problem with being a dirty whore for money. You get screwed. Plus it's a sin – don't do it.

Pause.

Mayor, dropping a gold nugget and wiping his hands with handkerchief, happy

MAYOR

Turn the frown upside down and scope the sunny side: it was good for me.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – NIGHT

Empty pizza boxes are piled by the door and Mouse leads the way with two frosty beverages consumed. The bottles are an evidence of a thirsty throat sprinkled liberally with troubled conscience. Or a drinking problem.

Xander, first off the line, blithely

XANDER

Creeping Death? Catchy name, if disease and decay give you a happy.

Mouse, gravely

MOUSE

It devours.

GILES

From beneath?

MOUSE

Not anymore; here, hungry, and contained. Few centuries of starvation and the problem solves itself.

Cordelia, true to form

CORDELIA

Except the part where Buffy and Willow reach expiration dates. Angel too if the thing is desperate enough, which: duh.

XANDER

You are a beacon of despair.

CORDELIA

Yet I live with myself.

Jenny, wisely diverting the conversation to safer waters

JENNY

What's keeping the nice monster trapped?

MOUSE

The runes at four corners maintain the illusion and barrier. You got nothing that will dent the Creeping Death. Catch 22; can't save your friends with it in place, lose the world, and it is a nice world, if you disable it.

Giles, getting a headache, incredulous

GILES

The Mayor unleashed an invincible demon …

MOUSE

Part of the deal with the lower powers.

Xander, fatalistically

XANDER

We are boned.

CORDELIA

And the torch gets passed.

Giles, giving the teens an irritated look which they ignore

GILES

There is a flaw in that plan.

MOUSE

Mafia invests in cement shoes; Richard Wilkins and the local Evil, Inc. prefer the monastery. This town does not lack in bodies or disposal options; Creeping Death is a local favorite and a point of civic pride.

XANDER

The recycling's dark side.

CORDELIA

Can someone mute the Loser FM station?

Xander, suggestively

XANDER

Admit it: you want to play with my knob.

CORDELIA

Solo not doing it anymore?

Jenny, on purpose, grinning

JENNY

Ah, young love.

That muzzles the bickering teens; Giles' eyes return silent thanks.

Giles, cautiously, leaving the rest implied

GILES

How long …?

Mouse, forthright

MOUSE

Days.

The single-word answer puts a damper on things.

Figuring things are done being said, Mouse departs.

Jenny, realizing what has been bugging her all along, shouting

JENNY

Wait! Who paid for food and alcohol?

Mouse, barely slowing down his exit

MOUSE

Do you have to ask?

Hearing this, Xander gets up and takes off after the mixed, albeit gingerly. The evidence of his mad dash for Willow gold is on full, limping display.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY OFFICE – NIGHT

Giles seeks refuge in WAO, research being his drug of choice.

Jenny openly studies the cheerleader, the break it or make moment at hand. The gypsy is not disappointed.

CORDELIA

This is what Buffy does?

JENNY

Usually more successfully.

CORDELIA

You don't say.

The chovihani hands Cordelia a book and a choice with it. The cheerleader takes the manuscript and picks a side.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – NIGHT

As if reading the teen's mind, the demon makes it easy for the temporary cripple to catch up.

Xander, offering money, begging

XANDER

Arrange a meeting.

In a new development for him, Mouse refuses the cash.

Mouse, generously

MOUSE

You don't survive to a millennium without reading others. On the house: He cares.

Xander, impressed

XANDER

Big Bad falling for Buffy?

Mouse, succinctly

MOUSE

Willow.

XANDER

Welcome to the disaster that is our love lives.

CUT TO:

INT. XANDER'S HOUSE – BASEMENT – NIGHT

Tony is passed out in Xander's bed, wearing a pair of boxers and socks. There is fresh vomit on the sheets and cheap bear bottles chatter with each snore and movement.

Xander stands there for a while, watching his father. He can't even muster anger, let alone disgust; pity alone grips his heart. Sighing and wiping his moist eyes, the teen gets a semi-clean blanket and starts tossing his meager belonging inside it.

MAN, appearing, softly

MAN

Hate requires effort; affection none.

Xander, confused

XANDER

What are you? Good, evil, neutral?

MAN, sincerely

MAN

Monster.

Xander, locking eyes, pleading

XANDER

Help Buffy?

MAN

Wrong villain; don't care. I realize the relationship, unusual may it be, lends itself to certain misinterpretations. I repeat for those not paying attention, namely you: don't care.

Xander, sensing the weakening of resistance, pushing better bait

XANDER

Willow?

MAN, reluctantly allowing

MAN

… Maybe.

Xander, raw in his need, feelings for best friend bared, imploring

XANDER

Please save Willow.

The MAN vanishes.

CUT TO:

EXT. SUNNYDALE – MONASTERY FRONT GATE – EARLY MORNING

Giles' car is parked off the road and the Scooby Gang, with the addition of Mouse, is gathered at the entrance.

The group is heavily armed; Giles and Xander carry weapon bags.

Xander, sarcastic

XANDER

We drop the shields, release Creeping Death, beat it to death with our puny fists, and have a celebratory dance at the Bronze. Good plan; I can't see what could possibly go wrong.

JENNY

The pummeling is practically guaranteed.

XANDER

That should be our official motto.

GILES

No time like present to test it.

XANDER

Must we?

GILES

We shall.

Their banter is interrupted by the appearance of a MAN ahead of them. The MAN is already facing the monastery.

Mouse, uncertain

MOUSE

Boss?

MAN, firmly

MAN

One hour.

The MAN steps into the courtyard and vanishes.

Giles, worried

GILES

Can He …?

Mouse, shaking his head, sad

MOUSE

No.

JENNY

Why then?

Mouse, quietly

MOUSE

Everything that lives, loves.

Xander, adding, with wonder

XANDER

Even monsters.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page