Star Trek: NS Enterprise

“Anarchy”

Episode 3

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Star Trek is copyright Paramount Pictures and Viacom. All original content of Star Trek: UNS Enterprise is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission.  All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – CAPTAIN'S QUARTERS – 0500 HOURS

There is a chime and then another in the darkened room. In the bed, Jenson throws the sheet off and swings his legs to plant them on the floor. The lights automatically rise in luminosity until a low, but comfortable level is achieved.

Jonson, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and glancing at the clock, yawning

JENSON

Bloody Hell.

COMPUTER VOICE

Please repeat command.

JENSEN

Enter.

The door opens and Pathel walks in, large cup in hand. Not bothered by his t-shirt and boxers attire, she approaches the bed. Seeing the unasked question in his expression, Pathel hands Jenson the coffee and makes a motion that he should drink it first before they speak. He waives her off and points at the desk before standing up.

Pathel, all business

PATHEL

I took Satuk into custody and moved her to my quarters.

Jenson plops down back on the bed and takes a large swig of the liquid.

Jenson, stunned

JENSON

Wow.

Pause.

Jenson sits there mulling this over for a while, waiting for his brain to catch up.

Jenson, each sip bringing more clarity, thoughtfully

JENSON

This is highly unprecedented and there will be talk and pushback.

PATHEL

Unusual circumstances require creative solutions.

Jenson, dreading the answer

JENSON

You know I am required to ask for the record: is this strictly professional or is there a personal dimension?

PATHEL

Satuk needs strict boundaries and proper mentorship. Captain, do you trust me to separate my emotions from my duties?

Jenson, sounding relived

JENSON

Absolutely; as we used to say in the infantry: you are welcome in my foxhole anytime. I have no objections to this development and you have taken a headache and turned it into gold. In fact, I should be thanking you profusely.

Pathel, joking without showing a hint of emotion

PATHEL

Any other stray sheep you want me to herd?

Jenson, running his hand thru his thinning hair

JENSON

Brian - God, does that man need help.

PATHEL

Sadly, my quarters are full.

Jenson, teasing

JENSON

We will give you bigger ones and name them Home for Wayward Officers – Pathel's School of Hard Knocks.

PATHEL

Captain, I think my bed is the last place Brian should visit.

Jenson, dryly

JENSON

We have that in common.

Pause.

Jenson, seriously

JENSON

Number one, outside duty shifts, Satuk is your shadow and your responsibility. Something goes wrong and you answer. I appreciate your candor and initiative but I want to make sure you understand what you are in for. This is Satuk and not even Na can control her at times. I sure can't and I am not positive anyone can either. You add romance to the mix and the disaster could reach epic proportion. Last time Satuk allegedly lost it, India's space program went up in flames. I don't want to lose the ship because you had a lover's quarrel. Are we clear?

Pathel, immediately

PATHEL

Crystal clear, captain.

Jenson, before he can stop himself, stammering out bluntly

JENSON

Why … well … uh … human?

PATHEL

Truth?

Jenson, curious

JENSON

Don't Vulcans always tell it?

PATHEL

Computer, pause surveillance.

COMPUTER VOICE

Privacy mode. All recording off.

PATHEL

Yes, but I lie.

Jenson, puzzled and little worried

JENSON

Why would you tell me that?

PATHEL

Trust, captain.

JENSON

Commendable, number one. Back to the original question.

PATHEL

There are no Vulcans on board and I have entered into relationships with other races before.

Pause.

PATHEL

Computer, resume surveillance; don't acknowledge.

Jenson, appraising her in the light of the revelation

JENSON

I see. Be honest with me, Pathel. In your professional judgment, setting aside your feelings, can you reach her?

PATHEL

I can add a stabilizing element to her life and teach her control. The rest is up to Satuk.

Jenson, carefully

JENSON

You think it would be better to separate the two aspects: work and play?

Pathel, taking her eyes off him, gazing out the windows

PATHEL

Satuk is special and not for her gifts, numerous as they are.

Pathel, showing the barest hint of her emotions, slightly in her eyes, mostly in what she says

PATHEL

I want to help her; I need to help her. Experience says I can and … I …

Pathel's drifts off and appears to be pulling herself together, not that she was showing much to begin with. However, just a glimmer of a feeling coming from her is equivalent to someone standing in the crowded room and shouting their love to the entire world.

Jenson, buying it, looking at the urn sadly, softly

JENSON

I live there and it is a familiar and comfortable place. Days pass in blurry haze and then one day there are two of you; us, we. What came before is a dream. What follows, more so yet different, more real. And nothing but the other, better half of you matters. Pathel, I would do anything for Evie; anything.

Uncomfortable silence follows his words, the sharing very personal.

Jenson, recognizing this and lightening the mood, bantering

JENSON

You going to finally reveal your hidden, mysterious past?

Pathel, firmly in control again, eyes back on him

PATHEL

No.

JENSON

Pity; didn't think so anyway. I know you are ex-military, that much is obvious. Rest will come in time.

PATHEL

You honor me with your confidence, captain.

Jenson, honestly

JENSON

Pathel, on this entire ship there is no one I rather go into combat with than you.

PATHEL

I appreciate the sentiment but that is a rather large leap of faith.

Jenson, simply

JENSON

Gut call, number one. That and you trashed the entire security section in hand-to-hand practice.

Pause.

JENSON

Does anyone know about you seducing and whisking away my science officer, or are the rumors already at warp speed?

PATHEL

It was mutual and the security and medical sections are under gag order until 0700 hours.

JENSON

Fantastic; don't make it a habit.

PATHEL

Pathel, handing him a tablet

PATHEL

Here is your prepared statement; you are scheduled to issue a briefing to the press at 0600, bridge conference room.

Jenson, grumbling but secretly glad

JENSON

I appreciate the coffee and the resolution. Next time ask before taking action. Unlike the civilians, you know better.

PATHEL

Sorry, old habits. Also, part of my nefarious plan to take over your ship and fly a Jolly Roger on the main antenna.

Jenson, laughing

JENSON

Knew it. One thing: do you outrank me?

PATHEL

On this ship, you are the captain. Outside it, different story.

JENSON

And don't you forget it. Dismissed.

Pathel nods and turning, heads for the door. Jenson glances over the speech.

Jenson, as the door opens

JENSON

Pathel?

PATHEL

Yes, captain?

Jenson, waving the tablet, praising

JENSON

Great job, number one.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. GNN NETWORK – TV STUDIO/ANCHOR DESK – 0855 HOURS

We are looking at direct TV feed, with static screen showing the GNN (Global News Network) logo and the words “Special Report” centered in bold and a smaller “Standby” in the corner.

VOICEOVER

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report.

CUT TO:

INT. GNN NETWORK – TV STUDIO/ANCHOR DESK – 0856 HOURS

We are now looking at an anchor desk, with a MAN and a WOMAN.

MAN

Yesterday, the world watched in horror as an explosion aboard UNS Enterprise claimed forty seven lives. Not everyone died immediately. What followed was a tragedy years in the making and yet more evidence that the mission to the stars, from the substandard vessel to the unstable crew, was a mistake.

WOMAN

That's right, Tom. Numerous leaks and ongoing UN investigations only begin to reveal the scope of the project's failure. Now, a new element was introduced, thought it should not have surprised anyone. Science Officer Satuk, no stranger to controversy, allegedly murdered three people in cold blood. The direct camera feed is sealed pending trial but the official briefing room footage shows the events as they occurred. Tom?

TOM

Thank you, Amy. This morning two statements were released: the first by Captain Jenson and the second by Science Officer Satuk. Due to the delay in signal transmission, we bring them to you live.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIEFING ROOM – 0600 HOURS

Jenson is alone. He sits at the head to the table, ramrod straight, tablet in front of him and the text projected and scrolling down as he talks.

Jenson, looking straight ahead, calmly

JENSON

I am Jenson, captain of UNS Enterprise. I accept full responsibility for the tragedy. No words can express the sorrow and soothe the pain experienced by the families of the ones that lost their lives in the tragic accident. I am aware that anything I say will ring hollow but I speak having lost someone very dear to me not long ago. Please accept my sincerest condolences for your loss and rest assured that a full and complete inquiry has my top priority and will be carried out expeditiously and thoroughly. I urge restrain until the circumstances surrounding the event are known.

Jenson, proudly

JENSON

The engineering department and the Chief Engineer Na were instrumental in saving numerous lives and restoring the affected systems. Their quick action and superb efforts ensured that the injured were found promptly and evacuated to sickbay, where Doctor Jaci and his staff provided outstanding care. The whole crew and various departments, even if not mentioned by name, performed to the highest standards.

Jenson, sagging a little, sadly

JENSON

Unfortunately, the situation in the kitchens and mess hall section was beyond salvage. The initial blast and shockwave claimed numerous lives, leaving few survivors. The fire suppression system, designed to save the ship, had the unfortunate side effect of making the air toxic. The limited number of filters available ensured that only one of the four would live and even that was a stretch. It was my decision to inform the people remaining of that fact and let them decide among themselves.

Jenson, straightening up, firmly

JENSON

Science Officer Satuk was the first to act on that knowledge and took three lives. She was treated for minor inhalation trauma and released into the custody of First Officer Pathel. She is to remain under house arrest for the duration of the voyage and will face reckoning for her crimes when returned to Earth. Her duties and responsibilities do not change; she is vital to the operation of the ship, having designed most of the systems. She will undergo mandatory counseling and anger management sessions. I understand that this does not satisfy the demands of swift justice but I personally assure you that in this case it is merely delayed, not denied. To that end, I am invoking my privilege, as the captain of UNS Enterprise, to set aside the trial and place the mission first. Science Officer Satuk has to prove to me and you that she deserves this reprieve. She will only get this chance.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIEFING ROOM – 0615 HOURS

Satuk occupies the chair claimed by Jenson a while ago. Pathel stands to the side, out of view of the camera.

Satuk, unrepentant, her face set

SATUK

I am not sorry for what I did; the right person lived. The harsh and inescapable reality called for one to prevail and three to die. I made an impossible choice and I stand by it. I regret nothing. In the end I survived and that is all. It is enough.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – HALLWAY – 0752 HOURS

Brian walks briskly, carrying two coffee cups. Abruptly, he staggers and drops them, spilling the liquid on the carpet. He tries to stand but it is evidently beyond his capabilities at the moment. He goes down awkwardly and lies on the floor, passed out.

Pathel emerges from around the corner, slipping some device into her pocket as she approaches. She looks around and then kneels. Her right hand goes to Brian's face and she begins the Vulcan mind meld. She holds it for a while.

Pathel breaks the contact and stands up. She checks for witnesses and then leaves.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – SICKBAY – 0830 HOURS

Brian wakes up and opens his eyes. He is on the bed, looking at the ceiling. He turns his head and catches the attention of Jaci, who is standing close, watching him.

Jaci, smiling

JACI

Hello princess, poor timing. Few more minutes and my options are down to the sleeping beauty kiss to wake you.

Brian, suspiciously

BRIAN

You wouldn't?!

Jaci, smile growing larger, flashing white teeth

JACI

What do you think?

Brian, sighing

BRIAN

You would.

Pause.

Brian, alarmed

BRIAN

You didn't?

JACI

Wanted to. What happened?

Brian, clutching his head

BRIAN

I remember walking down the hallway, got woozy, and then everything went blank. Now I have a world-class headache.

Jaci, purring

JACI

I know a cure. Interested?

BRIAN

Will stick to drugs; with you, one never knows.

Jaci, wickedly

JACI

That's why I have you sign consent forms.

BRIAN

It is strictly for treatment, Jaci.

Jaci, wryly

JACI

Funny, that is what I call it too and I have had no complaints.

BRIAN

Doesn't the Hippocratic Oath state: thou shall not hit on the patient?

Jaci, dismissively

JACI

That's the old-fashioned medicine; my modern version is all about love.

Brian, laughing

BRIAN

You win, but only after you answer my question: what are we today?

Jaci, taking out a small flashlight and checking Brian's eyes for signs of concussion

JACI

All woman; want to go out?

BRIAN

Not on your life; not on mine either.

Jaci, turning in place, enticingly

JACI

You don't know what you are missing.

Brian, sarcastically

BRIAN

Oh, after a movie, five books, two reality show, and countless interviews I have an excellent idea.

Jaci, unperturbed

JACI

So, dinner?

BRIAN

You just don't know when to stop.

JACI

I like when you play hard to get.

BRIAN

Fine, dinner.

JACI

Excellent, pick me up here at 1800 hours. And don't make me work for it.

Brian, pointedly

BRIAN

I surrendered with barely a fight.

JACI

Humor me.

Brian, pretending deep thinking

BRIAN

Hmm, what do I get out of it?

Jaci, seductively

JACI

Dessert.

Jaci leans very close to Brian's ear and just barely brushes her lips against the skin.

Jaci, whispering breathily

JACI

If you are good.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – BRIEFING ROOM – 1908 HOURS

Jenson, Pathel, Na, and Satuk are sitting around the conference table. Tablets littler the surface and various displays are activated. Na and Satuk are talking quietly, Pathel is working on something and the Jenson is glancing around with barely canceled boredom. Finally, he stands up and eyes turn to him.

Jenson, impatiently

JENSON

Where is Brian?

PATHEL

On a date with Jaci.

Na, disgusted

NA

Ewww.

Satuk, disbelieving

SATUK

With Jaci?!

PATHEL

In Jaci by now.

Jenson, sternly

JENSON

Number one, children are watching, mind the language.

Na, putting her hands over her ears

NA

I did not hear that. I definitely did not hear that.

JENSON

I don't know, I think they are perfect for each other.

Satuk, cautiously working into conversation again after a signal from Pathel

SATUK

Is Jaci male, female, both, or neither today?

PATHEL

Woman, I believe. There was a memo out. And a video. And a shipwide announcement. And a town crier earlier on the bridge. Yes, I think that covers it.

Na, who has uncovered and is listening again, to Jenson, grimly

NA

Captain, our Vulcan is defective. She keeps cracking jokes and they are actually funny. I recommend replacement before we laugh to death.

PATHEL

On account of liking hot water and not wanting to hear Satuk complain about lack of same, I hold my tongue. Reluctantly.

Jenson, sympathetically

JENSON

Welcome to my world.

Na, doing her best villain imitation, rubbing her hands and cackling evilly

NA

Soon, very soon, all this will be mine.

JENSON

You can have it now.

NA

And miss mocking you and Pathel? Not a chance.

Jenson, raising his hands and getting everyone's attention

JENSON

Now that we established that Na runs the ship and Brian is a lost cause, let's start the meeting. With your permission, chief?

Na, magnanimously

NA

Go on.

JENSON

Reports?

NA

I highly recommend that Satuk refrain from the first few away missions, lest she have a fatal appointment with a round in her back. Security department is out for blood; they are close knit, former and active military, and not very forgiving. Civilians are more understanding and the crew is divided on her guilt; majority think she did they right thing, just wish they did not see it.

PATHEL

Captain, secondary shuttle bay was converted to dining and kitchens area. I requisitioned planetside gear and erected the prefabricated huts in the open space. Misha had a fit, expect to hear from him. They went operational with a late lunch and I scheduled meal delivery here for 1930 hours.

SATUK

Na's crews cleared everything out of the kitchens and carried it to the cargo hold Delta. I have the entire department doing forensic accident reconstruction, with assistance from engineering.

Pause.

Satuk, somberly and seriously

SATUK

Captain, Na and I agree on one thing: areas with open flame and heating elements are designed not to fail. The kitchen systems have multiple redundancies and numerous safety features. They are inspected and tested in constant cycle, repeated ad nauseam; there is a shift rotation dedicated entirely to them. Catastrophic failure on this scale and of this severity is unlikely to originate without assistance. Corners were cut in other areas but not on the bridge, turbolifts, communications, kitchens, hydroponics, and engineering.

JENSON

Great, we are going to die in our quarters.

PATHEL

Actually, ninety one percent of personal space is unfinished. Jaci has a steady stream of electrical burns, shocks, and cuts coming in the door.

Na, grumbling

NA

The idiots keep covering the <BLEEP> walls with flammable shit and then run around in panic when it catches fire. Too bad you can't issue common sense.

JENSON

Any chance …?

Na, strongly

NA

Energy, air, water, and food, in that order; two-thirds of casualties were grease monkeys from night shift. I am short on people and I don't give a flying <BEEP> how many moths burn on the exposed guts they should have a brain to avoid.

Pathel, diplomatically

PATHEL

Captain, we transfer non-essential personnel to Na. Unless they are indispensible, they are turning the wrench starting tomorrow. Satuk and I will take additional half shifts in the evening, Na's discretion.

Na, smirking

NA

No time for fun and then you expire in your sleep.

Pathel, blithely

PATHEL

I prefer to set my bed on fire the traditional way.

Satuk and others look at her in shock.

Jenson, exasperated

JENSON

Pathel, have mercy. Less Vulcan truth and disclosure, more tact; Satuk, work on that dirty mouth of hers.

Laugher erupts around the table as Pathel gazes at him impassively and Jenson turns red in embarrassment when he realizes what he implied. Na starts to say something and Jenson raises a finger in her direction.

Jenson, thru clenched teeth, warning

JENSON

Not. One. Word.

Na covers her mouth with both hands and runs out of the room onto the bridge. She comes back shortly, supremely happy. Raucous laughter follows her back inside.

JENSON

Better?

NA

I strongly advise against showing up on the bridge this evening, captain.

Jenson, looking up at the ceiling

JENSON

Why me?

Na, simply

NA

I'm making up for a lifetime.

Satuk, warmly

SATUK

When I recruited her, her parents were her best and only friends and if not for Heng, she would not have any social contact at all. The man is more outgoing than her and he is a very private AI. Now Na is the soul of this ship and a dear friend.

Na comes over and hugs Satuk in reply, looking smugly at Pathel.

Pathel, after Na and Satuk hold contact far too long

PATHEL

Thousand eight … thousand nine … thousand ten … hands off, Na.

The hallway door opens and the KITCHEN PERSONNEL enter with stacked trays of food, only to stop abruptly. The KITCHEN PERSONNEL stare confusedly at the laughing captain, Na and Satuk giggling in embrace, and Pathel doing her stone statue impression.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING – 1125 HOURS

Engineering is an enormous cluster of stations and two huge bulks of impulse and warp assemblies. Panels line the walls, many open, and numerous ENGINEERING PERSONNNEL are working in the cavernous space. The activity and the din of humanity and machines form the background and contribute to the feeling of a bee hive stirred into action. Charred section of the room does not help.

The double door opens and Jenson enters. He looks around, catches sight of Heng near the burned part, and heads in that direction.

Heng, looking up from the display he is immersed in, respectfully

HENG

Captain?

JENSON

Hello Heng. Chief?

Heng points to the open access, in front of which some new parts and electronics are piled next to haphazard collection of burned equipment bits and pieces.

Jenson examines the opening and satisfied, sticks his head inside.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING/ACCESS SPACE – 1127 HOURS

Jenson looks around and he can see Na further in, scrunched in the small space and heavily involved in her work installing replacement parts.

JENSON

Na, stop tearing my ship apart.

Na, without looking

NA

Crawl in here and make me, captain.

JENSON

Not with Heng watching.

Na, taunting

NA

Not so brave in front of witnesses?

JENSON

Afraid your protective husband will brain me.

Na, triumphantly

NA

Ha, I have a knight in shining armor defending my honor.

Jenson, quoting Asimov, in jest

JENSON

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Na, scathingly, rounding on him, eyes blazing

NA

Captain, don't ever use that word around him. I know UN law does not recognize AIs but China does. Heng is a living being, no different that you or I and we are legally married. Either you accept that completely or we are going to have a problem.

Jenson, backpedaling, conciliatorily

JENSON

I apologize, Na. I was insensitive and it will not happen again.

Pause.

Jenson, deciding

JENSON

Listen, I will go one further. I will issue a captain's directive, making Heng a member of an official race and afforded the same rights and responsibilities as any on board. AI okay?

Na, mollified

NA

AI is fine. Thanks for understanding.

JENSON

We are going to make you an ambassador, chief.

Na, smartly

NA

What are my duties?

JENSON

How long before you are done wrecking this place?

NA

The ship? Never. This craptastic piece of junk I am embedded in? Hour or so.

JENSON

When you are done demolishing that, both of you take the rest of the shift off and get busy with race relations.

Na, fondly

NA

You are the best.

JENSON

I will pull that card out the next time you are calling me names.

Na, impishly

NA

That should be right about my next shift starts. Or soon if you don't leave me alone right this minute and let me wrap this up. Hell hath no fury like a frustrated woman.

JENSON

I hear you loud and clear, chief. Have fun.

NA

You still here?

Jenson, laughing

JENSON

Leaving.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING – 1135 HOURS

Jenson extracts himself carefully and walks over to Heng, who looks up at him expectantly.

Jenson, patting his shoulder

JENSON

Heng, you are a lucky man. That is one amazing woman you married.

Heng, beaming

HENG

Thank you, captain.

JENSON

Just out of curiosity and forgive me for asking, but what do you consider yourself?

Heng, immediately and without hesitation

HENG

AI, sir.

Jenson, smiling

JENSON

Congratulations, I am about to make your race official on UNS Enterprise. Even better, you and Na get to celebrate it shortly.

HENG

That's always the best part.

Jenson, tweaking him

JENSON

Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

HENG

Can't promise that.

Jenson, melodramatically

JENSON

You AIs; seducing all the beautiful women. How are we humans to compete?

HENG

Guess a return to chivalry and proper courtship is in order, captain? None of that “friends with benefits”, NSA, and other modern nonsense.

JENSON

Oh great, now we have to work for it.

HENG

The pursuit is the best part. Until, that is, the fireworks start.

JENSON

You are something else, Heng. Glad to have you on the crew. Schedule an appointment for this evening; I need to go over the particulars of your admission: conduct an interview, fill some forms, and discuss the particulars. You know, background and case paperwork, supporting the claim. It will set the precedent and make future additions and defense easier.

Heng falls silent and looks him right in the eyes.

Heng, quietly

HENG

Why are you doing this, sir?

Jenson, sincerely, with a touch of sadness

JENSON

What you and Na have, I had with Evie. Truth is: I was trying to reconcile the Chinese law with UN statutes, long before we left orbit. You are not her property and it is time I corrected that unfortunate perception.

Heng, neutrally

HENG

People who work here are fine with it.

JENSON

Your coworkers, yes. However, we have public human companions available for general use. I don't want any misunderstandings and this makes it clear to the entire ship.

Heng, grateful

HENG

Captain, this means a lot. You made Na happy and that is what I care about the most. Making each day a joy and spending as much of it as possible together.

Jenson, catching the tone and the words, sharply

JENSON

Heng, do you want to work in engineering or are you doing this for Na? What do you want?

HENG

JENSON

Don't make me order you.

Heng, putting down his head, hesitantly

HENG

… I want to work in science department under Satuk, preferably away missions. It is selfish.

JENSON

Nonsense, you are free to choose; consider it done. Talk it over with your wife and trust me on this, she will understand.

Heng, still uncertain, regretting the answer already, latches onto an excuse

HENG

Work will separate us.

Jenson, not buying it, encouragingly

JENSON

Believe me, it will bring you closer. Finding your own way is part of maturing. You took the first step by stating your dream and knowing Na, she will support you, even if it hurts her at first. Just let her know your reasons and things will work out.

Heng, scared

HENG

I always did what Na wanted. It was enough.

Jenson, gently rebuking

JENSON

Heng, this is a conversation you need to have with her.

Heng, sounding defeated

HENG

Will do, captain.

JENSON

One thing: keep me out of it. I get enough grief from chief as it is; sticking my nose in her personal affairs will make Armageddon look like afternoon on a beach. Dismissed.

HENG

Yes, sir.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING/HALLWAY – 1238 HOURS

Jenson turns the corner and spots Pathel ahead, just turning into a corridor. He tucks the tablet he was carrying securely against his body with one hand and takes off. When he arrives at the junction, the hallway ahead is empty but the panel to the maintenance hatch is open. He ducks inside and into the narrow service space that services the auxiliary systems, creating a maze of sorts.

Jenson, calling out

JENSON

Pathel!

There is no answer, only a sound of movement ahead. Frustrated, Jenson follows. The further from the hallway, the messier the layout, until he is stumbling thru the cables and wiring spilling from everywhere, including the ceiling and the floor.

Jenson, swearing

JENSON

Bloody Vulcan, had to go on maintenance bender right when I need to talk to her.

He tries the wrist communicator but there is no signal. He plows ahead gamely until he clears the debris and emerges into a room with instruments and open hatch. Beyond is an open space, with darkened walls. The room is a disaster but in a sort of controlled manner. Numerous passages branch off.

He checks them briefly and then decides to check the hatch itself. He does not see Pathel strike like lightning, driving him into the floor and the pile of objects. He screams in pain as the sharp metal pierces his chest. Lying on the floor, slowly bleeding to death, he is turned over. He focuses his eyes and turns his head with effort, staring into the eyes that hold no warmth. Pathel crouches beside him and checks him with a glance, seemingly more interested in the extent of his injury than him. He still expects her to help, knowing this was a mistake. He is wrong.

Pathel rises and walks toward the panel, leaving him impaled with metal and fading.

Jason, horrible realization sinking in, shaken and disbelieving

JENSON

No … not you.

Pathel punches some commands into the nearby console and then takes a scrap of metal and wedges the hatch open. She turns and walks away, heading for the passage.

Jenson, crushed by the betrayal, pleading tearfully

JENSON

Please, anyone but you.

Pathel turns and looks at him for a few seconds. There is nothing in that expression. Then she moves out, leaving him there.

Suddenly, the lights in the room go from green to yellow, and then red.

COMPUTER VOICE

Warning! Malfunction detected in the plasma coil. Emergency venting initiated.

More alarms start blinking and now there is a sound accompanying them, blaring out.

COMPUTER VOICE

Warning! Error in the automatic venting system. Manual override required.

COMPUTER VOICE

Warning! Plasma temperature and density above normal.

Jenson tries to get up and the resulting wave of pain knocks him unconscious.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING – 1304 HOURS

An ENSIGN runs to the panel and opens a video link. There is a beep and the screen shows black.

COMPUTER VOICE

Link restricted by Chief Engineer Na, audio only.

ENSIGN, shouting

ENSIGN

Chief!

Na, unhappy

NA

I am having marital relations. The ship better be exploding.

ENSIGN, stammering

ENSIGN

Um … yes.

Na, impatiently

NA

Yes, what?!

ENSIGN, babbling

ENSIGN

The ship is exploding. Well … um, not right now. Soon … uh … I think.

Na, coldly

NA

If the vessel does not blow up when I get there, you will die. Chief out.

The ENSIGN swallows nervously and awaits his doom. He looks ready to faint.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING/CONTROL ROOM – 1309 HOURS

Jenson comes to. His front is wet, and there is a puddle of red spreading under him.

Evie, looking like the day they met, kneels next to him. She bends and kisses him.

Evie, firmly yet tenderly

EVIE

You have to get up, sweetheart.

Jenson, sobbing

JENSON

Can't. Hurts too much.

Evie places some rags on his chest, stemming the bleeding. Evie, supportively

EVIE

You have me.

Evie assists him into a sitting position, offering encouragement along the way. Jenson holds onto the temporary bandages.

EVIE

Easy … good …. easy … that does it. Rest for a minute.

Jenson takes her advice and halts for a moment. She helps him scoot over to the wall and kneels in front of him again. He drops the rags and reaches out with bloody hands.

Jenson, framing her face, getting blood on her skin and hair, wonderingly

JENSON

You came back.

EVIE

I never left, my love.

She takes his left hand and guides it back to his chest, reinstating the temporary pressure bandage, with cloth to stem the flow and his hand to secure it.

EVIE

Press and hold; slows the bleeding.

COMPUTER VOICE

Warning! Plasma temperature and density reaching critical.

JENSON

I'm dying.

EVIE

Not yet; you know what we have to do.

Jenson, understanding dawning

JENSON

Manual override.

EVIE

Come on soldier, one last thing and then joined eternity.

Jenson, his right hand caressing Evie's cheek, softly

JENSON

Promise?

Evie, leaning into the contact

EVIE

Promise. I love you.

JENSON

Love you too, Evie.

They stay connected for the moment and then Evie she helps him to his feet. Jenson wobbles but manages upright and awake. They shamble to the hatch and he removes the obstruction; Jenson steps inside. A trail of droplets follows him, hitting the floor with each unsteady step. Gritting his teeth between bouts of wheezing, he determinedly presses on. With Evie supporting him, they approach the manual release at one end.

Jenson places his right hand and tries to turn the handle but he is too weak to do it.

Jenson, seeing spots and with vision fading, pours out his frustration

JENSON

Not … strong … enough. <BEEP>.

Evie places her stained hand over his bloody one.

Evie, being there for him, adds her will to the effort

EVIE

We were always stronger together.

They turn the handle together and it clicks into place. The hatch behind them slams shut and seals.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING – 1320 HOURS

Na is working the controls on interactive holographic display, similar to the bridge one, but larger and more detailed.

COMPUTER VOICE

Warning! Emergency plasma-exhaust-retention-barrier manual-ejection procedure activated. Safety disengaged. Firing mechanism armed. Thirty seconds to operation.

ENSIGN, stating the obvious

ENSIGN

Chief, someone activated the external coil purge on-site.

Na, troubled

NA

That's suicide. The times were shortened to prevent sabotage and the access hatch auto-locks.

Pause.

NA

Someone or something activated the impulse plasma coil without the corresponding engine activity. I want complete impulse lockdown and full diagnostics once venting is complete. Get security and post at critical points 24/7 until I lift the order.

ENSIGN

What about …?

Na, shaking her head, sorrowfully

NA

Whoever is in there is already dead but for the waiting.

Pause.

NA

Contact Heng and tell him to investigate adjacent control room. Prepare shuttle for barrier retrieval. And assign a team to work on recharging the coils. I will be on the bridge, briefing the captain and overseeing the operations from there.

ENSIGN

Yes, chief.

CUT TO:

INT. UNS ENTERPRISE – ENGINEERING/PLASMA VENT CHAMBER – 1320 HOURS

Jenson sits down heavily. He leans back against the wall and closes his eyes.

JENSON

Cold …

Evie crouches in front of him and cups his face. He opens his eyes and she leans in, their lips less than an inch apart.

COMPUTER VOICE

Ten.

COMPUTER VOICE

Nine.

Evie, lovingly

EVIE

Forever among the stars.

Jenson, closing his eyes so his last image will be of Evie, affectionately

JENSON

Forever together.

Evie kisses Jenson with an understated passion as the COMPUTER VOICE continues the countdown in the background. It is about connection and assurance, but still anything but chaste.

COMPUTER VOICE

Three.

COMPUTER VOICE

Two.

COMPUTER VOICE

One.

There are small explosions and the door and the air inside the chamber start to rush into space. The plasma is faster. The flames fill the entire screen and the picture cuts out.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page