The Girl Who Waited on Stars

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

The Girl Who Waited on Stars is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


FADE IN:

EXT. TOWN – GRASS FIELD - NIGHT

The quaint village slumbers, tucking its lights in for the night. Windows are thrown open to welcome the night and share its fresh, cooling breath. Judging by the position of the waning moon, the hour is late, or early, depending on perspective.

The heavens illuminate a small figure striking out against the comfort of dreams, heading away from the village. Barefoot, wearing a flowing nightgown and wielding a butterfly net, the ten year old girl draws the eye. What strange circumstance brings the child at this hour and it that manner of dress into the open, alone?

GIRL, singing softly

GIRL

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky

She stops, looks around, and then up at the sky. Studying the sparkling tapestry closely, the GIRL spots a shooting star and gives an unabashed squeal of delight.

Quickly, she breaks into sprint, raising the net for the catch. The GIRL rushes thru the grass field, a blur of quick feet and rippling cloth. The chase is on.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY – SKY - NIGHT

A screaming star plunges towards the earth, growing ever closer. It has five sharp points and a cute face in the middle. The mouth is open loudly and wide in fear and the eyes are tightly shut against the expected, terrifying fate.

Below, the GIRL hastily makes her way to the scheduled impact point, panting like a dog from the effort. Tongue out, the young catcher dives and stretches, swiping the net across the air.

The falling star drops right into it.

CUT TO:

EXT. VALLEY – NET – NIGHT

The star carefully slits one eye and peeks about. Satisfied, both spring open and gaze up into the GIRL'S sweaty face looming high above.

GIRL, grinning, friendly

GIRL

Hello, little star; I'm Armelia. I am going to take you to your brothers and sisters.

The star smiles back and coos.

CUT TO:

INT. VILLAGE – SHED – NIGHT

Hundreds of tiny, crudely made cribs fill the multitude of homemade shelves. No light is needed; the occupants give plenty. Each star enjoys glowing dreams, safely and securely ensconced.

Armelia, placing the newest, yawning star into an empty bed, wisely

ARMELIA

No one should be alone and scared. Welcome home.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page