Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts”

Episode 15

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EVENING

Xena is sitting by the fire, making arrows. She is absorbed in the activity but keeps a watch on her surroundings. She quickly notices a figure appear off to the side and gives it an appraising look. Recognition dawns.

Xena, dismissing the Goddess and going back to her work, coldly

XENA

If you come sniffing for Gabrielle, she is at the village inn.

Athena, evenly

ATHENA

Hello Xena.

XENA

You are not welcome, Athena ex Parthenos.

Athena ignores the insult.

Athena, directly to point

ATHENA

The siege of Troy has lasted ten years. End it.

XENA

Why not officially make Gabrielle your Champion? She is yours and you get me in the bargain.

Athena, calmly

ATHENA

Xena, Gabrielle is her own. The partnership and the relationship are both based on one thing: her choice. Always.

XENA

I approve the way you sealed the agreement. Payment in flesh and steel.

Athena strides powerfully and is next to Xena in an instance, eyes blazing. Xena finally looks up and locks gazes with her, face impassive, eyes daring.

Athena, angrily

ATHENA

I care a great deal about Gabrielle and the armor protects what is most dear to me. And you.

Xena judges the sincerity of the Goddess in front of her in the space of long, silent seconds and Athena passes some sort of test.

Xena, quietly

XENA

You do.

ATHENA

Jealousy does not become you.

Xena, not caring for the tone, aggressively and suggestively

XENA

Want to sleep with me? I bite.

ATHENA

You have the stink of Ares on you.

XENA

Look who has standards all of a sudden.

Athena, shyly

ATHENA

Gabrielle was the first mortal to affect me so.

Athena leans forward.

Athena, whispering conspiratorially

ATHENA

Don't tell her that. Her ego is on a rampage after that contest win.

Xena, relenting, gives Athena her full attention and grins

XENA

I was determined to dislike you but I find myself attracted. And you are not my type.

ATHENA

Xena, we Gods talk.

Xena, cautiously

XENA

Yes?

Athena, smiling

ATHENA

Aphrodite was visiting a certain brothel in my city two weeks ago.

XENA

Rats. Goddess of love?

ATHENA

Love blooms in the harshest of climates and the most barren of soils.

XENA

If that is a metaphor for me, I am honored.

Athena's smile widens.

Athena, pouncing

ATHENA

Do be. Aphrodite did a favor for Gabrielle. You were in good hands. Her hands.

XENA

What?!

ATHENA

Xena, you are a great military mind but on the field of love, you are a neophyte.

XENA

Does Gabrielle know?

ATHENA

She set events into motion. What do you think?

XENA

I think a certain bard is going to experience a very untimely and imaginatively horrible end.

ATHENA

Gabrielle is unique.

XENA

One glance and it is over.

ATHENA

You too?

XENA

Unrequited. Wait, her gift does not work on Gods.

ATHENA

Single look is enough, with or without the power behind it.

XENA

True. Now, I hear you can make tubs appear?

ATHENA

Among other things.

Xena, intrigued

XENA

I did not hear that part. We have time, spill.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Xena is up to her chin in hot water, eyes closed and content expression on her face. Athena is sitting on the edge of the tub, facing away from her and they are chatting. At the sight of approaching Gabrielle, the conversation stops and Athena stands up. Xena opens her eyes and sits up higher in the tub. Gabrielle gives Xena a friendly smile and then looks directly at Athena. Her expression is one of pure joy and her eyes and face light up with a glow that touches one heart and breaks another. Athena is inexorably drawn to her and takes few steps without even knowing it. Xena tries her best to conceal the hurt this display of emotion causes her.

Gabrielle, setting down a bundle she was carrying, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Hello Athena.

Mindful of Xena's presence, she gives her a quick kiss on the lips and a warm hug. They break reluctantly and Gabrielle stands back holding Athena's hands in each of her own and takes both women in with her eyes.

GABRIELLE

You two are as thick as thieves. Same guilty expression when I first walked up. I sense a conspiracy.

Both pairs of eyes drop at once confirming her suspicion.

Gabrielle, adding

GABRIELLE

And Xena, if you stand up and flash me, water is not the only thing that will be filling that tub.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

You?

GABRIELLE

No, think: kids, pain, and blood, in that order.

XENA

Ouch.

Pause.

Xena, to Athena

XENA

How long is this hot water good for?

ATHENA

Two-three hours.

Xena, grumpily

XENA

Go on, get. Me and the tub want alone time.

Gabrielle laughs and picks up the dinner from the ground. She hands Xena the bundle with tempting aromas emanating from it. Athena offers Xena her covered shield.

ATHENA

Aegis is your dinner tray. Mention this to anyone and I will give wrath of God a whole new meaning.

Xena, realizing this calls for some reciprocation, politely

XENA

Want some?

Athena, grinning wickedly

ATHENA

No thanks, I got bard.

Gabrielle giggles and Xena rolls her eyes. Athena sets Aegis on Xena's knees and Xena places her precious food on top of it. She peels the cloth back and finds one of their covered clay containers with smells of rich stew wafting on the escaping steam and a small loaf of bread next to it. There is also dessert and sweets.

Xena, fondly

XENA

You spoil me, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle's answer is a warm smile.

Gabrielle drapes a waterskin and a wineskin over the edge of tub as a finishing touch. Picking up her bedroll, she walks away hand in hand with Athena.

Xena sighs wistfully when they fade into the forest and then glances down at the tub and food; some of her good humor returns.

Xena, pleased

XENA

I might be a moocher, but I am the best moocher in Greece.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are dressed for war. Argo, loaded with their gear, shakes her head impatiently next to them. Athena approaches, resplendent in her golden armor.

Gabrielle, whistles her approval and then voices it, appreciatively

GABRIELLE

Helen of Troy has nothing on you.

ATHENA

Flirting with a taken woman; why Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, cheekily

GABRIELLE

Taken frequently and repeatedly. And I speak the truth.

XENA

It is a compulsion of hers.

Athena, happily

ATHENA

Sincere words are more precious than flowery prose.

XENA

True.

GABRIELLE

Does your action break neutrality?

ATHENA

The answer is complicated; favors were traded and bargains struck. You are considered my Champion in this adventure.

Xena, striking first, joking

XENA

You do realize Gabrielle is involved?

Gabrielle, easily parrying

GABRIELLE

And Xena is handling the planning?

XENA

It is all in the execution.

GABRIELLE

Laying the groundwork for your defense?

XENA

My plans are fail proof.

GABRIELLE

Entire Greece knows them. Distract, flank, attack, victory.

XENA

There are variations.

GABRIELLE

Double distract?

ATHENA

Triple flank?

XENA

Hey, there are only two flanks.

Athena, needling Xena, with a smile

ATHENA

It is you we are talking about. If anyone can find the third flank, you will.

XENA

Right. We take Troy with double distraction and triple flank. Take us there.

Athena, teasing

ATHENA

Someone is running away from a fight they started …

GABRIELLE

You are supposed to say: I win.

ATHENA

I win.

CUT TO:

INT. GREEK CAMP – COMMAND TENT – MORNING

Xena stands alone studying maps spread on the table. Discretely away, Gabrielle and Athena are saying their farewells in whispers, aware of Xena's exceptional hearing. A lingering kiss and they part reluctantly. Athena laughs, for as she disappears Gabrielle waves at her from a distance of less than a foot. Gabrielle comes over and joins Xena.

GABRIELLE

There is condition for our return.

XENA

Yes?

GABRIELLE

Either Troy falls or plan on building a home here. We are exiled from mainland Greece.

Xena, gloomily

XENA

That's what Athena meant by trade-offs.

GABRIELLE

Right. King Agamemnon leads the Greek coalition and he will be here shortly. We can decide whether to start looking for plot of land after we talk with him.

XENA

That's one way to look at it.

GABRIELLE

I did it for you.

Xena has no answer to that.

CUT TO:

INT. GREEK CAMP – COMMAND TENT – MID MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are leaning over the map on one side and Agamemnon is opposite them. They are going over the progress so far, which is poor; ten years poor.

XENA

Let me be clear. You tried every conventional and unorthodox siege strategy and failed.

AGAMEMNON

Yes. We are down to starving them out. Any new ideas?

XENA

Normal is out and imaginative is in. Gabrielle, what do you have?

Gabrielle, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

Direct force is not an option. Betrayal and deception are left on the table. Do we have contacts in the city?

AGAMEMNON

After ten years, there is no one left inside receptive to our cause.

GABRIELLE

That leaves deception.

XENA

One person can infiltrate but we need at least a score to capture the gate and hold it before reinforcements arrive.

AGAMEMNON

You are right. Walls are out and the only weak points are the gates.

Gabrielle gazes off into the distance and after a while she has an idea.

GABRIELLE

The famed gates of Troy stand seven men tall. Wood and iron forged into the shield that protects the city. We burn down three of the gates and force them to divide their meager water supply. Stack a huge bonfire against them under the cover of darkness. We initially use large shields to keep the men protected and then let the smoke and the heat take over. After a while no one will be able to stand directly over the inferno. The men form two shielded tunnels and send runners with wood up one and return them in the other. If we move fast enough, they will not be able to save the gates.

Agamemnon, hopeful

AGAMEMNON

This is a good plan and has a fair chance of success. Champion, I will call a war council for this afternoon.

XENA

I lead the coalition into battle.

Agamemnon, upset

AGAMEMNON

That is not what I was told by the priests.

Gabrielle, smoothly

GABRIELLE

What Xena meant to say is that each of us takes a gate. She fights with the main force at the south gate and we split the other two. I lead the alliance for the duration of our stay and preside over war councils; schedule one for early evening. You are my second in command.

AGAMEMNON

You speak and I obey.

Agamemnon stands up.

AGAMEMNON

By your leave, Champion.

He leaves the tent.

GABRIELLE

Sorry, had to cut you down and let him know who is in charge.

XENA

He is a soldier and believes in chain of command. You are Athena's Champion and your word is hers. You were right to correct me and assert your authority.

GABRIELLE

Xena, there is no love in this army for you, only hatred. The tales of a hero have not arrived on this distant shore and your hands are stained with blood of their relatives. They would not accept you in charge and things could get ugly. Once the battle is joined, different story; they will follow you. Remember, you stand with Greece in her hour of need. As for me, coalition is like the village council, bunch of old men complaining about things. Nothing I can't handle.

XENA

Not worried about the enemy in front, worried about a sword in the back.

GABRIELLE

I have a few ideas about fixing that.

XENA

Always working on my reputation.

GABRIELLE

Speaking of which, we need to show the boys ours are bigger.

Xena looks down on her chest.

XENA

Well, they are. You first.

Gabrielle can only shake her head. Gabrielle, loudly

GABRIELLE

Guard!

One of the GUARDS at the entrance enters and bows.

GABRIELLE

Send the word to Troy: Xena, warrior Princess and Gabrielle, Athena's Champion challenge their two best warriors to single combat; sunrise tomorrow on the plain in front of south gate.

GUARD

Your will.

GUARD bows again and exits quickly.

XENA

I like the aggressive you. Boys will be impressed. And jealous.

GABRIELLE

You taught me well.

XENA

Leaders rise to the moment. Some things are learned and others innate. You are a natural leader.

GABRIELLE

That means a lot coming from you.

XENA

Sorry about power grab. I see an army and I want it; old instincts die hard.

GABRIELLE

Don't tell Agamemnon but we are both in charge. I handle people and you direct warfare. Let's go over the maps and strategies, I want to be prepared for the meeting later today. Backup plan?

XENA

Due to their size, they had to use wood and reinforce with iron. With luck and darkness, Troy will fall. Failing that, there is an idea I am working on in my head. Something you mentioned about deception.

GABRIELLE

Glad to be an inspiration.

XENA

Oh, you inspire me all right.

GABRIELLE

My hero.

XENA

My champion.

CUT TO:

EXT. TROY – SOUTH GATE – DAWN

Xena and Gabrielle stand on windswept grass plane flowing south from the gate, past the camps, until it turns into a beach; the sand is currently occupied by Greek ships. An overgrown stone road leads to massive gates, which open to let a small party out. The walls of Troy are lined with SPECTATORS. Behind them, vast majority of GREEKS are on hand as well. Xena is going with a sword and Gabrielle sticks with the staff.

Xena, leaning over

XENA

What effect are we going for, master of pomp?

GABRIELLE

Short and brutal.

XENA

One human blood fountain coming up.

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, defensively

XENA

You asked me to put on a show.

Gabrielle, seriously

GABRIELLE

Simple yes would suffice. I don't want vivid descriptions of some poor soul's last moments on earth. I know what you are and what you are capable of so keep the gruesome visions out of my overactive imagination.

Xena, chastised

XENA

No killing?

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

Tradition and protocol dictate our fate.

XENA

I understand. You won't take a life and it falls on me.

GABRIELLE

You and I have a choice.

XENA

I don't follow. What do you want me to do?

GABRIELLE

Decide.

Xena, pleading

XENA

Gabrielle, what do I do?

Gabrielle remains silent and focused forward, her eyes studying the opposition.

Xena, spitting out the word

XENA

Fine.

Gabrielle turns to Xena and taking her right hand off the staff she places it over Xena's heart.

Gabrielle, sincerely

GABRIELLE

One day I won't be there and on that day you will make me proud. Xena, I believe in you.

Xena, afraid

XENA

Eleven years of wrong turns say otherwise.

Gabrielle, smiling and patting Xena's chest plate

GABRIELLE

I am in here for good.

Gabrielle removes her hand and faces toward Troy again as Xena tries to comprehend which is the true meaning of that statement.

They both assume impassive faces when the Trojans draw near. Leading the way are two brothers well known to Greeks. Hector is older, tall and heavily muscled, with full armor set, shield and sword; thirty one Greeks have fallen in single combat to him. He commands the Trojan army and is their best warrior. The other is Paris, husband of Helen and renowned archer in his own right. He has no armor and is wearing a tunic with a bow and quiver slang over the shoulders.

Gabrielle drops her staff and without delay Xena helps her remove her steel armor. Xena is pleased to note that Gabrielle was prepared for this, as one of the GREEK ESCORTS from their own party runs up with her bow and quiver and hands it to her. The GREEK ESCORT reverently takes the armor from Xena and returns to his place behind them. Other GREEK ESCORTS crowd around him to inspect the armor whose plain appearance belies its origin. Paris appears disconcerted by this; he clearly expected to shake Gabrielle and it is not working. Gabrielle rattles him further.

GABRIELLE

We stand thirty yards apart. When the stone hits the road, we draw. Athena guides my arrow; I hope your God is watching. Follow me.

She moves to the road and he follows, unease now showing in his eyes. They stand thirty yards apart. Xena moves to the halfway point and stands off to the side. She raises a large stone to shoulder level.

Gabrielle and Paris face each other across the span of flat stones, hands at the sides and bodies square to the front. Silence falls, broken only by crows eagerly circling overhead. Paris is a master archer and has already taken down Achilles. Surely, his legend is set to grow further. Paris feels confidence return to him as he considers the woman in front of him. She is an excellent shot according to the rumors and a Champion of Athena. However, without her armor and matching skills with him, she is at a disadvantage. He concentrates on the stone, focusing his hearing on that one moment when it strikes and watching it out of the periphery of his eye. His eyes are on his prize, standing relaxed and confident ahead of him. Not for long, he promises silently.

The stone falls thru the air and Paris tenses but does not move. He waits for the sharp, sound and then his body does the rest. Smooth motion unslings the bow and notches the arrow in a symphony of coordinated motion as the body shifts into position. Simultaneously, he brings the arrow up seeking his target …

It is a blur, really. His arrow is no longer there and something strikes him in the chest. He looks down in surprise and sees his own arrow in two pieces and another arrow without the arrowhead between his feet. Realization downs and his brain screams in alarm as footsteps close in rapidly. He raises his eyes to find Gabrielle arriving and closing the distance to nothing. Strong hands cup the back of his head as Gabrielle's forearms press down on his collarbone. A knee drives into his ribs again and again and his world explodes in shards of broken bone pain. His head is tightly pressed into Gabrielle's chest and her chin is exerting pressure on top of his head, keeping him captive. The hold eases temporarily and then a knee smashes into his chin and brings darkness and welcome relief. He collapses unconscious as the Greek army erupts into loud cheers. Both Hector and Xena look stunned.

Gabrielle walks up to Xena.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You like?

Xena, deeply impressed and admiring the action blurts out the words without a thought

XENA

You are a mad, mad woman. Yes, I loved it. I love you.

Gabrielle, gently deflecting

GABRIELLE

Xena, less emotion, more warlord. Hector waits.

Xena, not caring

XENA

I meant it.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

I know.

Satisfied, Xena points at and heads for Hector who approaches as well. They meet halfway and draw swords. Circle forms around the combatants, composed of half Greeks and half Trojans, each from respective escorts.

Gabrielle observes Xena for a second and then with a shake of a head goes to attend Paris who is still out. Few TROJAN ESCORTS left with him gaze at her suspiciously but relax as she begins her healer work. Their looks change to ones of gratitude.

Xena decides to go all out; Gabrielle wants a show, Gabrielle will get a show. She lets out her yell and feints. Once, twice, three times and then Hector is out of position slightly and by instinct he brings the shield to cover. Xena explodes, putting everything she has into a side kick that snaps the shield back and results in crunch from behind the metal surface. Hector drops the shield and now his left arm hangs uselessly, broken. Xena growls and Hector knows he is in trouble. He attacks in a storm of blows, driving Xena back, his blade surrounding her with a cloud of silver lighting. The only sound is the swish and sharp sound of swords clashing. Thin line of blood shows on Xena's face for his efforts and he redoubles his attack. Suddenly, Xena jumps to the side and his blade finds no purchase. He loses balance overcommitting and leans forward. Before he can recover, Xena's sword bites deeply into his neck. She runs him thru for a good measure and then beheads him. Only then she realizes she gave in to her blood lust and went too far. She lowers her sword and walks away. The Greeks are cheering but Xena does care, for the only voice of approval she desires is silent. She made her choice and it was wrong. Again.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. TROY – WEST GATE – LATE EVENING

The clouds cluster low, pregnant with moisture. Beneath them, a sea of darkness suffocates the land, swallowing the shadows. A long line of torches along the city wall floats over the inky depths. Unknown to the WALL GUARDS, a column of HEAVY INFANTRY moves slowly toward the gate. On both sides of it, in long lines, come the ARCHERS, each carrying a shield and multiple quivers full of arrows. Gabrielle leads the column in a straight line to the gate, a predator cutting unerringly thru the black to the place where the unaware victims lie. Behind her, the formation is holding mostly together. There is the outer row with shields protecting the sides. Near them slither FIREFIGHTERS, armed with blankets and baskets of dirt. Their job is to obliterate all light and keep the defenders guessing the Greeks' intent on this very night. Inside the column, HEAVY INFANTRY hold the shields on their head, creating an armored roof. Two tunnels form inside the formation, one empty and the other full of RUNNERS carrying long logs for the bonfire. Behind them come RUNNERS with smaller pieces. All the RUNNERS are soaking wet and completely covered with water saturated cloth. Behind the long column numerous wagons carry pots of water, additional firewood, and arrows. The whole contraption moves with deadly purpose and determination, heading for the sleeping city and the gate that stands between them and it. The assault begins.

There are shouts from the watch when they hear something massive approach. Torches and pots of pitch are tossed down to provide some answers, all to no avail. As soon as it lands, each fire is extinguished, greedily devoured by the night. Shouts of alarm rise on the walls and WALL ARCHERS step up to fire on the mystery below. They are greeted by a rain of arrows that drives them back behind the safety of the stone.

The first RUNNERS emerge from the tunnel and set one end of the logs into the dirt some distance from the gate. The RUNNERS lift in silent cadence under the cover of the arrows and let the heavy logs fall on the gate. The long tree trunks form a lean-to. Heavy boom after heavy boom strikes the gate, echoing in the empty streets.

The sounds hammer at the defenders as general alarm sounds. Hot sand and boiling oil pour down murder holes. There are no answering cries as all the construction so far is away from the gate. The whole city is now coming awake, rivers of reinforcement flowing toward the walls. Behind them come the TOWNSPEOPLE, ready to lend a hand with resupply and other duties. They are mostly older men and boys, either too young or too old to raise a sword. Worried waiting ensues.

The major pieces are now set and the runners bring smaller pieces. Each RUNNER is doused anew before picking up a new load. Some arrows find their marks and RUNNERS start returning with their comrades instead of empty hands. The whole process moves quickly and efficiently as the price in blood grows. The silence and absence of commands is deliberate. Each soldier knows his task and carries it. Let the enemy wonder.

A lucky strike lands a pot of pitch on the first rows of the shield roof and an armored column appears before the eyes of the startled defenders. Just as quick, it is gone. Arrows fly, only to tinkle ineffectively from the protection. Panic grows as the intent of the Greeks is as obscure as the darkness that hides them. Why are they just standing there in the darkness under the shields? What are the mysterious sounds hitting the gate? The rate of falling torches and pitch doubles and then triples, taking a toll on the WALL GUARDS who are under constant arrow bombardment as they toss down their burdens. Finally, the RUNNERS with wood are spotted and cries go out.

WALL GUARDS

They are burning the gate!

Water!

Bring water!

Barricade the gate!

More water!

Some TOWNSPEOPLE rush to bring the wagons and debris to fill the space behind the doors. Other TOWNSPEOPLE round up water containers, but find those in short supply.

Gabrielle surveys the work and finds it two thirds done. She is under the return tunnel shield roof. Arrows plunk overhead and land at her feet. Multitude of lights rain from the walls, and FIREFIGHTERS pounce on each as it hits. The progress is becoming visible and casualties slowly mount. Gabrielle knows that pace will only increase.

Troy turns into an anthill poked with a stick. Women and children join the crowd of TOWNSPEOPLE and long lines form in the streets to pass the jars with water from the supplies. Most of the distribution is going to the south gate, the largest and the likeliest to fail. Wagons are moved behind the doors and slowly filled with stone and earth as water hits the back of the doors, soaking them.

Gabrielle judges the progress satisfactory and grabs one of the returning RUNNERS.

Gabrielle, commanding

GABRIELLE

I want pitch on the gate.

The RUNNER nods and takes off. Few minutes pass and sound of shattered pottery returns to her. Gabrielle readies a torch and one of the HEAVY INFANTRY stands by with a strike and flint.

New sounds come from behind the gate and the work doubles. Baskets of dirt are packed between the stone rubble. The blockade is slowly taking form, ramp of stone and dirt growing in the frantic effort spurred by the shortage of water.

Gabrielle nods and the torch blazes into life. She is immediately off, running for the gate. Arrows seek the light too late as it arcs toward the waiting embrace of wood and pitch. A massive roar erupts and a wall of heat and fire knocks Gabrielle and the RUNNERS back. They scurry under the safety of the return tunnel. More RUNNERS sprint from the delivery tunnel, finding the crossing more hazardous with each offering to the fire. ARCHERS redouble their efforts to keep them safe. The column is close enough to start feeling the effects, but they stand strong. Gabrielle starts moving to LINE SERGEANTS and issues the same command.

GABRIELLE

Start rotating the men to the back but keep the formation intact.

The doors and stone walls quickly heat up to the point where approaching the gate is impossible. Entire front is ablaze and the back is smoking as the iron fastenings glow an angry red. Above, the WALL GUARDS and WALL ARCHERS evacuate the space as the conditions turn lethal. This allows the Greeks even greater freedom to add fuel and grow the inferno. The arrows from the side are not as effective and expose the WALL ARCHERS too much to deliver them. The only hope is now water, but as defenders slowly realize, other gates are under attack and all they can do is grimly wait for the inevitable. All water lines shift to the south gate and the other two are left in the hands of the Gods. Massive crowds of TOWNPEOPLE gather behind the doomed doors, ready to rush the opening and fill it. The cost will be great but they are out of options. PRIESTS fill the temples with prayer and TROY SOLDIERS prepare to make a stand in the openings.

CUT TO:

EXT. TROY – WEST GATE – NIGHT

The proud doors lose the fight and collapse with hardly a protest. A cloud of ash and sparks drifts upwards and the defenders and Greeks see eye to eye for the first time in ten years.

Gabrielle, loudly

GABRIELLE

Shift fire to the gate!

LINE SERGEANTS

Shift fire to the gate!

Half the ARCHERS, those closest to the column on either side, send the arrows into the newly created opening. The air in the passage is thick with smoke and whizzing arrows.

TOWNSPEOPLE rush the opening. Dirt, blankets and water rain on the heated remains. Most die in the hail of missiles adding their bodies to the growing blockade. TROY SOLDIERS move in a shield wall formation once the passage's surface is safe enough to walk on. They snake out of the opening and Gabrielle lets them. They are the sacrifice, their lives buying time for the TOWNSPEOPLE to do their work.

Once ten score of TROY SOLDIERS fill the opening, Greek HEAVY INFANTRY closes the tunnels and tightens the formation.

GABRIELLE

Forward!

LINE SERGEANTS

Forward!

Double their opponent's number breaks off and marches in formation to close in and pin the TROY SOLDIERS against the passage. The ARCHERS adjust their angles and continue to saturate the area behind them with deadly projectiles.

TOWNSPEOPLE work on the growing construction. Some protection is provided by TROY SOLDIERS and WALL GUARDS with shields but the sheer volume of missiles drinks more than its fill of blood. On the other side, below the growing wall, a rapidly shrinking group of TROY SOLDIERS pay with lives for each precious minute of delay.

Gabrielle prepares fresh formation to take the fight into the passage once the opposition is gone.

Gabrielle, grabbing a SENIOR COMMANDER by front of the armor, ordering

GABRIELLE

Send our casualties back with the first unit. Take the enemy bodies and build a ramp. You are given a great honor, to be the first to enter Troy. The eyes of Greece are upon you.

SENIOR COMMANDER

To the glory of Athena, Champion.

He moves off and takes the column straight to the gate where the new wall stands over a man tall. The bodies of fallen TROY SOLDIERS rise to meet the top and a grim struggle begins that will decide the fate of the city. Two sides are locked in the fight over the passage.

A MESSENGER approaches Gabrielle, eyeing the fight for the gate.

MESSENGER

Champion, that makes two gates fallen and one standing. Agamemnon claims the east and Xena is leading the attack on the south.

GABRIELLE

Leading?

MESSENGER

Cooler heads prevailed and truth be told, after your stories there was no reason not to. Also, she took charge and no one dared challenge her.

GABRIELLE

That's Xena. I will hold a war council at dawn back in camp.

MESSENGER

I will deliver the summons.

The MESSENGER bows and leaves.

CUT TO:

INT. GREEK CAMP – COMMAND TENT – EARLY MORNING

Xena is among the STRATEGOI spread around the table at the head of which sits Gabrielle, with Agamemnon the Mycenae strategos on her right side. The reports confirm that the fight is now over the two gates, with the south one blocked after it survived the fire.

GABRIELLE

We will grind them down in three-four weeks. Is there another option?

AGAMEMNON

We build siege towers and attack the walls. One week and Troy will fall. They are spread thin and casualties are mounting.

SPARTAN STRATEGOS

We waited ten years, another month is acceptable. The men talk of return home and there is no need for further casualties direct assault would bring. The Spartans love battle but we are wise to value the lives that need not be lost.

XENA

We leave.

Startled eyes turn on Xena and silence falls.

Gabrielle, with a small smile

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

I have an idea for taking the south gate. The symbol of the city is the horse. We build a wooden one, hollow inside, and leave a force inside. We spread the word that having failed to take the gates in a last-ditch effort, the Greeks abandon the war and head home. The horse is an offering to the Gods for favorable wind and seas on our journey home. When they take it inside the walls as a trophy, we venture out at night and throw open the gate. The army returns and we burn Troy.

Gabrielle looks around and nods of approval are directed back at her. Having taken the silent vote, she nods back, sealing the decision.

GABRIELLE

On the morrow of third day, if Troy still stands, she will be brought low in her arrogance and pride. In the name of Athena …

STRATEGIOS

Glory to the Goddess of war.

GABRIELLE

Glory to Greece.

CUT TO:

EXT. TROY – BEACH – 3 DAYS LATER/MORNING

Where there were beached ships as far as eye could see for years, now only deep impressions remain and the sea is already busy claiming those. In time, all traces of Greeks will fade; except one. Standing the height of five men, an enormous wooden horse faces the waves. In front of it, a bloody stone altar and several dead fires with animal bone fragments attest to the ritual sacrifice.

Near the water, next to a small fire, chief priest Laocoon is attended by his two sons. He communes with Gods, trying to portend the future by reading the smoke from the offering. Troubled, he turns to the waiting CITY LEADERS and TROY STRATEGIOS.

Laocoon, ominously

LAOCOON

Equo ne credite, Teucri! Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. (Do not trust the horse, Trojans! Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks, even when bringing gifts.)

Ripples of unease and concern reflect the motion of the sea. Suddenly, two huge serpents break the surface and crash on the beach. Frozen in fear, the delegation watches as the monsters swallow the priest and his offspring and then retreat to the sea.

CITY LEADERS, shaken

CITY LEADERS

The Gods have spoken and Troy accepts the horse. Open the gates, break the barricades and bring our trophy inside. We have been blessed. Victory!

CUT TO:

INT. BEACH – TROJAN HORSE – MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are crowded together inside the head of the horse, looking down on the action below. Xena leans into Gabrielle's ear and whispers. Xena, teasing

XENA

Let that be a lesson to you. You drop your trousers and men get eaten by giant sea snakes.

GABRIELLE

If someone of my beauty dropped her trousers I would be watching too.

XENA

Gabrielle, your relationship with the Goddess is trouble. I don't want Hercules's life, with Gods and monsters around every bend of the road. I know it is your choice, but every time you see Athena you are not thinking with your head.

GABRIELLE

Heart?

XENA

Try lower. I had a relationship with Ares and look at my soul. Don't make the same mistake.

GABRIELLE

The Greek army is recruits, farmers removed from the soil of the fields and craftsmen parted with their tools. They lost ten years of their lives to the whims of war. You and I will return them home. Xena, we are not fighting for the Gods, we are fighting to reunite families. Gods started this war and we will end it.

XENA

You ask a lot.

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

I follow my heart.

Xena, relenting, softly

XENA

I follow mine to the same place.

CUT TO:

INT. TROY – TROJAN HORSE – NIGHT

The plaza is full of snoring bodies, empty barrels of wine, and leftover food. The feast started early and continued well into the evening. Around the open space, barracks lie dark and silent. The soldiers had the discipline to avoid partaking in the fun and until the scouts return, they plan to remain vigilant. Watch is set on the walls and the rest slumber. Gabrielle takes one last look around from her high perch and crawls toward the neck. Score and a half pairs of eyes gaze back at her in anticipation.

GABRIELLE

It is time.

Silently, the trap door opens and figures slide out. They are all SPARTANS, chosen for their proficiency in silent blade work. They form up and head for the south gate, Xena and Gabrielle following a distance behind. The street leading down is broken by a series of tall barricades, now partially open.

EXT. TROY – PLAZA – NIGHT

One TOWNSPERSON wakes up with a need to visit the bathroom. He glances at the horse and something catches his eye. He walks to it and peers at the open trapdoor in puzzlement. Then something clicks and he stumbles to the nearest barracks.

TOWNSPERSON, pounding on the barracks door

TOWNSPERSON

Betrayal!

CUT TO:

EXT. TROY – SOUTH GATE – NIGHT

The SPARTANS are quick and efficient and the open doors await the reinforcements. The expected sounds of soldiers arriving do not come from the outside but further up towards the plaza, where shouts of alarm are joined by sounds of boots running in their direction. Xena, to SPARTANS, commanding

XENA

Stay here and hold the gate.

She takes off and Gabrielle follows. They stop at a barricade third of the way up to the plaza as the torches reveal a large mob of armored and armed bodies heading for them at speed.

GABRIELLE

Xena, it's just me and you versus hundreds of angry Trojans. I don't think even this armor is going to hold past five hundred.

XENA

Gabrielle, you know what?

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

Yes?

XENA

You are an optimist.

Xena stands in the middle of the narrowing and starts carving open space in the arriving human tide with brutal sweeps and hard kicks. Gabrielle dances and darts around her, in sync with Xena's movements. Her blade moves faster than the eye can see, jumping this and that way, leaving splashes of red on the limbs and biting into the flesh of the trunk. She is a whirlwind of slashes and trusts, always moving, always a step ahead, making her presence felt with finesse and precision that cripples the enemy and leaves them wounded and vulnerable. Xena relies on her inhuman strength, severing limbs and heads, her chakram and sword working a symphony of bodily destruction. The narrow space and the presence of Gabrielle keeping the threats off her allow Xena to keep the action in front where her power can be brought to its full effect. She can commit more fully to each swing even thou it leaves her open to counterattack. That is Gabrielle's job and a few times Xena notices Gabrielle either parry or take the blow meant for Xena on her own armor, which is more than up to the task. Everything fades and it is just the two of them against a faceless horde, whose members cover the ground in ever growing carpet. Xena is unsure how long they been at it when the enemy breaks and withdraws in disarray. She turns and a sight of countless Greeks pouring thru the gate and spreading out cheers her heart. It is over but for the slaughter to come. She drops her sword and chakram down to her sides wearily and looks around. There is no bare ground. At least a ten score TROJAN SOLDIERS and probably fifteen pave the street.

Gabrielle breathing is heavy and she is leaning forward. She is completely covered with gore and only her eyes shine. She straightens and moves over to Xena. Gabrielle takes in the carnage.

Gabrielle, wonderingly

GABRIELLE

We survived this?

XENA

It was getting interesting at the end. How is the wonder armor holding up?

Gabrielle tests her limbs and stretches.

GABRIELLE

I'm still together. You okay?

Xena, proudly

XENA

There is no one I rather stand with, my friend.

They are interrupted by the SPARTANS' approach, who hand them waterskins. The SPARTANS gaze with respect and open admiration. For half an hour they kept the enemy away from the gate, tying up the Trojans as the Greek forces entered and spread out, finally taking the other gates from inside and dooming the city.

The fires are starting to break out and resistance is minimal. Most are put to the sword as ten years of pent of frustration erupts on the hapless TOWNSPEOPLE. Isolated groups of TROJAN SOLDIERS are fighting but even that is starting to die down. Troy is dying and taking her living inhabitants with her. The war is over.

Gabrielle cleans her blade and sheaths it. Xena hands her both weapons and Gabrielle cleans those as well and returns them. They nod at SPARTANS and start on the way out of the city. The SPARTANS move further in to join the massacre.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

Another city dies at my hand.

Xena does not answer. She puts an arm around Gabrielle's shoulder and brings her closer. Sometimes words are unnecessary. They walk out of the burning Troy together.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – DAYS LATER/EARLY MORNING

Xena is sitting by the fire, eating the supplies they have taken with them before leaving late yesterday. Gabrielle spent the last few days preparing the coalition for return to the mainland and her leadership ended when the last Greek ship sailed home. Xena swapped tales and sparred with the men, basking in her new status and enjoying the attention. She also attended many a feast. She had to admit she was glad Gabrielle handled the organization, repair, and provisioning of the fleet. Gabrielle excelled at diplomacy and management and it would serve her well in the future. Xena had no desire to own armies anymore, thou she did not mind leading them into battle. Someone else, like Gabrielle, could handle the daily grind of running a large group of men. Do all the work and let Xena have all the fun. That suited her just fine.

Gabrielle breaks on her musings by entering the camp. She drops her bedroll next to Argo and inspects the remaining food, of which there is little left. She sighs and takes her bow and arrow, moving off into the woods.

Xena, satisfied

XENA

That will teach you.

Gabrielle stops for a long moment and then turns around and ends up next to Xena, who rises in turn. To Xena's complete surprise she gives Xena a quick hug and hands her a bundle wrapped in leaves.

Gabrielle, apologetically

GABRIELLE

Here, those are for you. I was upset there was no food left and I was going to walk away with them and eat them. I am sorry about my moment of weakness.

Xena, gazes at her dumbfounded, lost for words. Gabrielle turns and walks into the forest. Xena opens the leaves and stares at the berries and nuts guiltily. Unbidden, tears fall from her eyes and her knees grow weak. She sits down heavily and looks forlornly into the trees.

Xena, voice breaking

XENA

Forgive me, I don't deserve you.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – MORNING

Xena sits opposite Gabrielle across from the fire. Two rabbits are spit roasting and look about ready. Gabrielle checks and indeed they are. She hands one to Xena, who can't look her in eye and mumbles her thanks. Xena eats with her head down and her shoulders slumped. After a few minutes of silence, she senses Gabrielle getting up and walking over to her. Gabrielle sits down next to her, their shoulders almost touching and their arms bumping. Normally, Xena would be happy with such closeness but not this morning. It makes her uncomfortable. She starts to shuffle away from Gabrielle when a voice stops her.

Gabrielle, quietly

GABRIELLE

Do you want to talk about it?

Xena, quietly

XENA

No … yes.

GABRIELLE

Xena, look at me. Please.

Xena lifts her head and finds herself captured like a fly in a spider's web. Words come spilling out.

Xena, confessing

XENA

I am a pig. I ate your portion out of spite and I was mean to you. You are a kind and gentle soul that beats herself up over being human in face of my actions.

Gabrielle puts an arm around Xena's shoulders and Xena leans into the contact.

GABRIELLE

You, my friend, are developing a conscience.

XENA

With my history that is not a good thing.

GABRIELLE

Whatever you face, you face it with me. Whatever haunts you from the depths of the past has to go thru me first.

XENA

Remorse opens a door that should remain sealed. Gabrielle, trust me, you don't want to walk thru that door.

GABRIELLE

We Xena; remember that. I am your light and you are my shield when we walk together into the darkness.

Gabrielle gives her a squeeze with the arm wrapped around Xena's shoulders. Xena gives her a small smile and sets down the partially eaten rabbit on some leaves. She shyly takes out the bundle Gabrielle gave her earlier this morning and opens it. Nothing is missing.

XENA

We share.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page