Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Day My Hero Died”

Episode 20, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

SINS OF THE PAST - CLIP

Xena walks over and picks up the bag Gabrielle is carrying.

XENA

What's in here? Rocks?

GABRIELLE

Cured skins for sale, my funds for the trip.

XENA

You going somewhere specific?

GABRIELLE

Was going to Athens to become a bard.

XENA

When you leaving? Was?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Never. I became a bard on my own.

CUT TO:

MY FRIEND PART ONE – CLIP

Gabrielle is sweeping the courtyard, when she hears heavy and unsteady footsteps of her father approach the front door. He opens the door and stumbles in, drunk. He is carrying a bundle of clothes. His eyes fall on Gabrielle and she can see that they shine with madness. He shoves the bundle at her and she drops the broom and grabs it.

HERODOTUS

You are Gabe, my son. You wear men's clothes. You start work outside the house tomorrow. The barn and sheep are your responsibility. You will take them out to the pasture before dawn and bring them back in the evening. In the morning you have chores and then you go to school till noon. Alcaeus will train you with the staff in the afternoon. You will spend the rest of the day and weekends with the sheep. Gabe, don't disappoint your father.

CUT TO:

MY FRIEND PART TWO – CLIP

Xena looks at Gabrielle as if suddenly realizing something. Xena, having a revelation

XENA

I took and I took and I took some more, but I always lost everything in the end. It was not until I gave that I received something, something I never expected.

GABRIELLE

What?

XENA

You.

Gabrielle is speechless. Tears form in her eyes and Xena is looking misty too.

XENA

You are my gift.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Gabrielle wipes her eyes and clears her throat.

CUT TO:

CHARIOTS OF WAR - CLIP

Bolts slide open and a lock is turned. The door swings open and Sphaerus takes one step in. The door is secured behind him. Sphaerus carefully sits down on the straw, trying not to jostle his battered body.

SPAERUS

I couldn't sleep, kept thinking about the fight. Even thou we beat you …

Gabrielle, interrupting

GABRIELLE

You did not defeat me. You beat me up, you bloodied me up, and you put me in world of pain. And then the real fight began and you got destroyed. You lost.

Sphaerus becomes agitated. He is wringing his hands.

Sphaerus, nervous

SPHAERUS

I was told to go down to town and make an example out of a peasant. Show them father means business and any resistance will be met with harsh punishment. They had to see and feel the power he holds over their lives.

GABRIELLE

Fear and intimidation are not the source of lasting power. Doing good is. And now worse is coming.

SPAERUS

Worse? Who are you? You defied defeat against me by sheer will alone and you looked father right in the eye and called him out. You did not flinch with arrows pointed at your heart and you laughed right in his face. I realize now my father has no power against you. How do you do it?

GABRIELLE

Sphaerus, the true measure of the fighter is his heart. Weapons, armor, training the mind and body all help, but warrior do not make. But it is not enough to have a strong heart. You must believe in something bigger than yourself, a cause that you follow. I am set on the path of greater good. I fight for the weak, the helpless, the exploited, and the oppressed. I fight against people like your father.

CUT TO:

DREAMWORKER - CLIP

XENA

Gabrielle, what you have is the rarest gift of all: unconditional love. It draws others, like my brother, as strongly as moths to a flame. Embrace it, yet temper it with wisdom.

CUT TO:

TITAN – CLIP

TITAN

You see the truth.

GABRIELLE

Yes, it's a gift.

TITAN

Mortals can't see or read the tablets. You see the truth in stone, you see the truth in mortals; we Gods see the truth in you.

GABRIELLE

The truth?

TITAN

I am Astraeus, God of dusk.

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle, the wondering bard.

ASTRAEUS

In the beginning there was light and darkness. Then there were Gods and then there was man. The man is born innocent. He makes a choice for the light or the darkness after a time. That is his heart. From then on, every choice made in the course of his life is tallied. That is his soul. You see the original decision and the results. You see the heart and you see the soul. You see the truth of a man.

CUT TO:

THE PATH NOT TAKEN PART ONE – CLIP

XENA

Do you think I can be saved?

Gabrielle, without hesitation

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Pause.

Gabrielle, elaborating

GABRIELLE

I not only think that, I believe that in here.

Gabrielle covers her heart with her hand.

XENA

That certain?

GABRIELLE

It is the fundamental truth of my life.

XENA

What if I could not be saved? Would you stay?

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

What did I do to deserve such faith?

GABRIELLE

You returned it.

CUT TO:

THE RECKONING – CLIP

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

I will never leave Xena and you cannot go with us. I will recover for three weeks in this inn and then I will continue my journey.

Gabrielle reaches out and takes Teresia's hand.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Teresia, I offer you this gift. Twenty one days of memories to last a lifetime.

Teresia is crying. She covers Gabrielle's hand with her other one and squeezes.

TERESIA

I accept.

CUT TO:

THE BLACK WOLF - CLIP

Athena takes a step back. Her expression turns somber.

Athena, speculatively

ATHENA

How far are you going to take it?

GABRIELLE

To a satisfactory conclusion for both of us.

ATHENA

Later, I promise. Now for the real reason of my visit.

Gabrielle saunters over to Athena, throws her arms around Athena's neck and drawing her head towards her, kisses her. She looks deeply into her eyes as they linger sensually, passion building and leaving them both breathless. They break and both take a moment to recover.

GABRIELLE

Don't promise, deliver. Now, you were saying …

CUT TO:

THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF BARDS PART ONE – CLIP

Lila is quite a sight, with stew and berry juice liberally coating her. Gabrielle brings a waterskin and a square of linen and sets about cleaning her younger sister. At last, Lila resembles a young girl again and not a food monster.

Lila, tiredly

LILA

Sleepy.

Gabrielle, sweetly

GABRIELLE

Dream time bunny.

She helps Lila into bed and tucks her into the blankets. Lila refuses to close her eyes. She wants her warm pillow. She reaches with both arms towards Gabrielle.

Lila, stubbornly

LILA

Want ma.

Gabrielle, soothing

GABRIELLE

Shh, let me clean up.

Gabrielle moves the chair back, sets the waterskin near the bed and heads back out outside thru the window with pot and spoons.

Gabrielle comes back inside and closes the shutters behind her. She slides under the blankets and gently moves closer to sleeping Lila.

GABRIELLE

Soft, stuffed ma is here. Goodnight bunny.

CUT TO:

THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF BARDS PART TWO - CLIP

HECUBA

Who comes first?

Gabrielle, without thinking

GABRIELLE

Lila. Always.

HECUBA

Who is responsible for her?

Gabrielle, accepting without reservation

GABRIELLE

I am.

Hecuba finishes brushing and puts the comb away. Hecuba, softly

HECUBA

She goes with you every afternoon. There is no trial to see if you hold up your end. You want her, you have her. Lila is your daughter and you will raise her right.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

CUT TO:

THE ROYAL ACADEMY OF BARDS PART TWO - CLIP

Suddenly there is a sense of other and he visibly exhales only to catch his breath again when Gabrielle slowly walks toward him. Her normally long and beautiful hair has been roughly shorn short. Numerous cuts mark her face and neck. She is looking at him with a lost, almost pleading look. Praxiteles knows who is responsible but all he can feel is soul crushing pain. Tears run down his weathered face as he falls to his knees and spreads his arms in embrace. Gabrielle is hurt and she needs this. She needs him. With a sob, Gabrielle runs into his arms and finds comfort and love.

Gabrielle, sniffling and thru the tears, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Da.

CUT TO:

TIES THAT BIND PART ONE - CLIP

Xena has stopped the massage and silent tears splash Gabrielle's back. Gabrielle flips over, reaches up with her right hand, and then brushes the tears away.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You spread untold misery. I am here to wipe the tears.

Gabrielle scoots from under leaning Xena and sits up; she lifts Xena's hands, brings them together, and then kisses the fingers.

Gabrielle, tenderly

GABRIELLE

You run up a butcher's tab. I am here to clean the blood.

Gabrielle releases Xena's hands and embraces her best friend. Xena clutches her as if her life depended on it.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

You had no mercy. I forgive you.

CUT TO:

TIES THAT BIND PART TWO - CLIP

Gabrielle is on point, senses one with nature. She enjoys the time alone on the green island. Spending every waking minute with another person grates after a while. Any break in routine is welcome and that is the main reason she pushed for greater involvement in the world. Now, she is not sure. On one hand there is Athena … Gabrielle involuntarily smiles and a wash of feelings warms her to her core. She dances around the trees. Something is happening and she likes it. She sees and feels the same in Athena, even stronger. It is like her gift is working on the Goddess without it being used. Could she read Athena without the gift? Gabrielle thinks so and she hugs herself. Unable to wait, she signals Xena in the back and melts into the growth.

CUT TO:

THORNS – CLIP

Xena, reverently

XENA

You can't leave me.

Gabrielle, accepting

GABRIELLE

I don't want to. I want to be with you.

Xena, wholeheartedly

XENA

I am sorry.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

I forgive you.

CUT TO:

THE DAY MY HERO DIED PART ONE - CLIP

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

You know my gift does not work on you. Look me in the eyes and tell me the truth of our relationship.

Athena, trembling, scared for the first time in her life

ATHENA

I can't.

Gabrielle, encouragingly

GABRIELLE

Have courage, love.

Gabrielle releases and runs her hands up Athena's arms and then cradles her face. She leans her head forward and Athena copies the motion, imperceptibly guided by Gabrielle. They stand with foreheads touching, looking into each other's soul. The gift is unnecessary, the truth is plain. Athena drowns in those eyes and realizing this, she dives deeper, abandoning reason and embracing the abyss. Love is surrender.

Athena, willingly and sincerely, tearfully

ATHENA

I am yours.

Gabrielle, tears of joy falling, genuinely

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

CUT TO:

THE DAY MY HERO DIED PART ONE - CLIP

Gabrielle, opting for plain, unadorned truth, speaking her heart

GABRIELLE

Not for me is Olympus, ambrosia, marble estates of Athens, or grand temple in Amphipolis. Born in the dirt, to dirt we return. That is who I am. I offer you a small brick house in Amphipolis three months out of the year and nights on the road the rest. The food is simple; the furnishings modest. We will fill the space with our love and laughter of our children. Athena, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?

Athena, affectionately and honestly

ATHENA

I love you, Gabrielle. You are my half and I am yours.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD OUTSIDE TRACHIS – LATE MORNING

Athena, affectionately and honestly

ATHENA

I love you, Gabrielle. You are my half and I am yours.

Gabrielle holds her breath, expecting a “but”. It does not come.

Athena kisses her softly and Gabrielle has her answer. Parting slightly, mere breath separating their lips, Athena exhales her commitment.

Athena, looking into Gabrielle's eyes, wholeheartedly

ATHENA

Never.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 3RD DAY/AFTERNOON

With a roar, Gabrielle erupts from under the bodies, sending the nearest IMMORTALS staggering back. She is in the middle of them, stronger and faster than before, apparently no worse for the wear. Every move draws blood and she is a blur of action. The IMMORTALS are shaken and scared. What is it going to take to kill her?

Inspired by their Goddess' return, the HOPLITES cannot be stopped. They cut thru the IMMORTALS and drive them back. Joining the charge is Gabrielle, larger than life and fearsome. The Persians have awakened a nightmare. She is in the zone, at one with the blade and her body, no longer thinking and reacting, but doing. She sets her eyes on target and it is gone; then on to the next. The IMMORTALS scatter before her like leaves in the wind. They don't know she is only wounding. They see the falling bodies, the blood and the gore and they think that Death herself is coming for them. They see what they want. Measured withdraw breaks down and the IMMORTALS start to panic.

HOPLITES no longer believe they are mortal. They go berserk, mindless of injuries and pain, throwing themselves at IMMORTALS with complete disregard for their lives. Screaming like men possessed, they crash into the loose, yet somewhat orderly ranks of IMMORTALS. Fervor has taken over completely and there is no stopping them. She walks among them, stained crimson, pressing and encouraging their devoutness. The Goddess of War, beautiful and savage, madness and serenity, divine given form. The HOPLITES worship and sacrifice at her altar, religious fever consuming them whole. They see what they want.

Mardonius, replacing Hydarnes as IMMORTALS' leader, steps into Gabrielle's path. Throwing knife takes him in the eye and Gabrielle floats by him, turning slightly as she passes. Her sword bites his flesh and drops him. The IMMORTALS had enough. Gabrielle has broken their will to fight.

The closest IMMORTALS, seeing the Goddess claim Mardonius and anyone unlucky enough to be in reach, try to escape. They trample the ones in the back in a blind stampede and soon the whole herd of IMMORTALS races toward the cliffs edge and their doom, which they see as their salvation. So eager they are to escape the death behind them that the one in front eludes them. Until the bodies start raining on the rocks below and the foam on the waves turns red. By then it is too late and the screaming pride of the Persians plunges into the cold embrace of the sea. HOPLITES ensure there are no standing survivors.

Poseidon approves the sacrifice of foreign invaders. A massive wave rises from the sea and batters the ones that made the turn, leaving them shell shocked and delaying the response from the Persian side by a considerable amount.

Some HOPLITES pick the injured IMMORTALS and prepare to toss them over the cliff.

Gabrielle, loudly, commanding

GABRIELLE

STOP!!!

Returning to their senses, they bow their heads in apology and set the IMMORTALS down.

Gabrielle returns to Mardonius and applies pressure on his wound. He will survive but it is close.

The HOPLITES follow her example and start the search and transport of the wounded back to camp. As per her earlier orders, temporarily forgotten in the heat of battle, the Persians are cared for as well and given first aid. There has been enough death today and their Goddess is wise to show mercy.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – GREEK CAMP/HOSPITAL – 3RD DAY/NIGHT

Gabrielle is washing her hands in a basin when she spots HEAD HEALER nearby. She calls him over with a head motion and he scrambles quickly, moving between the numerous pallets spread out on the ground. There are scores of INJURED GREEKS and few grievously INJURED PERSIANS of higher rank. Gabrielle is done here, dividing her efforts between keeping her men alive in the hospital and on the front lines. Time for short rest but not before making another tough decision, she thinks.

HEAD HEALER approaches her, lines of exhaustion chiseled deeply into his face. The strain of endless stream of bodies is showing. He gazes at the one person holding the army together, the one willing them to victory. He believes, as they all do. It is all they have left.

Gabrielle, sternly, sweeping her arm to take in the patients

GABRIELLE

New plan. Your job is to make them fight, do you understand me?

HEAD HEALER

Yes, Chosen.

GABRIELLE

Patch them up, give them painkillers, and then send them to the front. The Persians are attacking continuously. They are going to grind us down and I need warm bodies. Expect you and yours to pick up a weapon if this continues.

HEAD HEALER, wearily

HEAD HEALER

Chosen?

Gabrielle, voice brooking no argument, with finality

GABRIELLE

Everyone fights.

HEAD HEALER, bowing reverently

HEAD HEALER

Yes, Goddess.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – COMMAND TENT – 4TH DAY/NIGHT

Gabrielle limps in and wearily removes her armor and weapons, silent tears of pain running free. Despite the tiredness and injuries, she methodically cleans equipment, hoping to catch a few hours of rest before dawn. She is covered with dried blood and grime and numerous dirty bandages cover her limbs. There will be plenty of scars from this for show and tell. Wash and dressing change is definitely in order, she ponders. She sighs as the familiar sensation announces imminent arrival. Not Ares again …

Prometheus appears in human form and her expression brightens. He is the same, except smaller, sort of a shrunken Titan.

Prometheus, friendly

PROMETHEUS

Hello Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

No rescue today, kind of busy.

Prometheus, teasing

PROMETHEUS

Where is that hero spirit? Up and at them.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

The only thing I am attacking next is my bed. I plan to lie on top of it for hours until it cries for mercy.

PROMETHEUS

Good plan.

GABRIELLE

You try living up to the legend of Xena. How can I help you?

Prometheus, gently

PROMETHEUS

You have a good heart: always thinking of others, always giving, always loving.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

PROMETHEUS

The Greek fleet defeated the Persians. Figure two, three days for news to reach Xerxes. Hold on Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

I expect camp followers to join the fighting shortly.

PROMETHEUS

That bad?

GABRIELLE

The Persians are accepting horrendous losses. They can't have an army of that size stay in one place too long. The logistics are a nightmare. They need to break thru. The pass is a slaughterhouse, I am bleeding men. We run out of fresh units to rotate and casualties are skyrocketing. There might not be anyone alive on the third morning. Believe me when I say that the days of rest in this tent are drawing to an end.

PROMETHEUS

Why didn't you die yesterday?

Gabrielle, raising an eyebrow, surprised

GABRIELLE

Bit blunt, aren't we?

PROMETHEUS

Ares thinks he meddled and brought you here. However, it was always your destiny to fall at Thermopylae. Guided either by his hand or other forces, this is the end of your road; for the third time.

Gabrielle, mind swirling, confused

GABRIELLE

Wait, what?!

PROMETHEUS

You destiny was to die in the Tracus brothel, stabbed by an unhappy customer.

Gabrielle, muttering

GABRIELLE

Probably Ares, knowing my luck.

PROMETHEUS

Your training and Xena changed that future and the last stand in Tracus followed.

GABRIELLE

Go Gabe. What comes next?

Prometheus, matter of fact

PROMETHEUS

Another Tracus, another Thermopylae, another close call.

Gabrielle, groaning

GABRIELLE

Great, the Fates want to cut my thread.

PROMETHEUS

You are light.

GABRIELLE

Less prophecy, more clarity.

Prometheus, apologetically

PROMETHEUS

I am sorry Gabrielle; there are things that are forbidden.

Gabrielle, not buying it, calling Prometheus out

GABRIELLE

I heard that before, it is not comforting. Who is the instrument?

Prometheus, appearing to refuse answering, cryptically

PROMETHEUS

You wield that blade.

GABRIELLE

Say I survive this. When is my next death scheduled?

PROMETHEUS

Your path ends in Britannia and in Greece after that. You can't escape the last one.

GABRIELLE

Fifth is the end of me?

Prometheus, softly

PROMETHEUS

Yes, it is the last road you will walk. Death can be cheated but not stopped.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

How much time do we have?

PROMETHEUS

Depends on you, some things are best left unknown. My advice: enjoy the life you have.

Long silence falls as Gabrielle continues to work on her armor, thoughts scurrying like mice. Prometheus joins her and starts cleaning her weapons. They let the quiet settle between them as the hands stay busy.

Gabrielle, asking the question she wanted to since he first arrived, anxious

GABRIELLE

You welcome on Olympus?

PROMETHEUS

No. Aphrodite spread the gossip about your proposal. Congratulations.

Gabrielle, intrigued

GABRIELLE

What interest does it hold for them?

Prometheus, wryly

PROMETHEUS

You thrown everything into chaos. God and mortal marrying on equal terms is unprecedented. They have their pleasures and diversions but this is unheard of. You heartbreaker you. Trouble is what you are.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

True; told same time and again. Ares proposed too.

Prometheus, nodding sympathetically

PROMOTHEUS

What was the price?

GABRIELLE

Athena.

Pause.

Gabrielle, eyes turned inward, remembering

GABRIELLE

I am under the bodies, peacefully resting; images past dance and lift my soul. Then the feeling … indescribable. Athena said “Yes” and I saw her face, felt her touch, smelled her scent; she filled me, completed me and Death herself lost her power over me. I was a Goddess and the Immortals burned in the blaze of my sun. Madness filled my men and they fell on the Persians.

Prometheus, disagreeing, vehemently

PROMETHEUS

No! You made a choice and created your own fate. There was no power, only the will to survive. Your men saw what they wanted, as did the Persians.

Gabrielle, disbelieving

GABRIELLE

All me?

Prometheus, strongly

PROMETHEUS

Yes.

Gabrielle, contemplatively

GABRIELLE

It felt like a dream. Still does. No divine intervention?

Prometheus, assuredly

PROMETHEUS

None whatsoever.

GABRIELLE

I answered your question, now answer mine. Why are you here?

Prometheus, embarrassed

PROMETHEUS

May I touch you?

Gabrielle, eyeing him suspiciously

GABRIELLE

This bard is committed to Athena. Seriously, you and Xena must be trading scrolls. Paws off, Titan.

Prometheus laughs as he stands up and approaches Gabrielle.

Prometheus, warmly

PROMETHEUS

You healed the torment of the imprisoned Titans and ended mine.

Gabrielle nods her approval and Prometheus gently places his hand over her heart.

Prometheus, tenderly

PROMETHEUS

Freely given, from the heart.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 5TH DAY/DAWN

The dawn brings a brief respite as the Persians have ceased attacking. The reason is plain to Gabrielle, who has the best vantage on the preparation ahead of her. Massive beasts she only read about in the scrolls are being brought to the head of Persian army.

The sheer size and gleaming tusks inspires the artist in her even as her tactician side calmly considers the problem and thinks of solutions. Gabrielle wonders if Xena would share both her practicality and a sense of wonder. Probably the first.

Gabrielle looks back to where the horses are waiting. She hates to make the animals suffer but it is better than being trampled by elephants in the narrow canyon.

The PERSIAN ELEPHANTRY forms a column that fills the pass and they begin their lumbering approach.

Gabrielle, ordering

GABRIELLE

Horses up, light torches.

The horses are moved to the front as the Persians start shouting in alarm. Each one is carrying straw bales on its back. Gabrielle extends a hand and a torch is passed to her. She lights the dry stalks and the horse takes off, followed quickly by others. They run in blind panic straight at the elephants, carrying their flaming cargo.

The elephants sense the inferno heading for them and stampede in fear, away from danger. All except one, which plunges straight ahead, running at the Greeks in blind panic.

Gabrielle, shouting loudly

GABRIELLE

HUG THE WALLS!!!

She shoves the HOPOLITES towards the walls and joins them in the nick of time. The massive beast runs by her and judging by the lack of screams behind her Gabrielle is fairly certain that her men got out of the way. Nervous laughter follows the passage.

The Persians are not so lucky. They fill the space completely and there are numerous elephants plus burning horses adding to the chaos. Quite a few PERSIAN INFANTRY and PERSIAN ARCHERS get trampled and a large portion of PERSIAN ELEPHANTRY ends up in the sea. It is becoming a depressing pattern.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 6TH DAY/DAWN

Every Greek still standing and several who are propped on the walls are in the canyon. The camp is empty aside from the dead, and the dying, with handful of slaves stacking bodies. Of the seven thousand who entered, two thousand remain; hundreds are passing in camp from the wounds, rest in the pass from the Persians. Most have not slept since yesterday; the rotation increased in frequency as the injuries took a toll. Some HOPOLITES collapse from wounds and exhaustion on front line without taking a hit. Few are revived, most are finished by the PERSIAN INFANTRY. The fight has been ongoing since day three of battle and the Persians keep throwing fresh soldiers at them. It is showing.

Gabrielle walks among them, talking, touching and smiling, taking a break from the front lines to keep the morale up. She figures they might last until evening, maybe into the night. They are not likely to see another sunrise.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – PASS – 6TH DAY/AFTERNOON

Gabrielle waits as the Persian ranks part and MOUNTED IMMORTALS approach. They are protecting Xerxes, riding on the white stallion. The group stops and he dismounts. Gabrielle and Xerxes approach each other over the carpet of bodies composed of both armies.

Xerxes, respectfully

XERXES

Well met.

Gabrielle, returning the sentiment

GABRIELLE

Well fought.

Xerxes, smiling

XERXES

Think you could hold out another day?

Gabrielle, looking like Tartarus, grinning

GABRIELLE

I know it.

Xerxes laughs and extends his hand. They grasp forearms and lock eyes. There is some effect on him, but very little. Gabrielle wonders about that, getting nothing but the vaguest of senses. He appears protected and he knows it.

The leaders part and return to their armies. The Greeks and the Persians begin the grim task of taking the bodies to pyres. The battle is over.

CUT TO:

EXT. THERMOPYLAE – GREEK CAMP – 6TH DAY/EVENING

Pyres burn everywhere and there is little movement in the camp. Snoring HOPOLITES litter the ground, having dropped and fallen asleep in the first clear place they found, still in full armor. Sentries walk the perimeter and further out, the canyon, fighting to stay awake. The only other motion is in the hospital.

Gabrielle slowly and painfully changes her bandages with a help from a HEAD HEALER as the HEALERS drag another body to the fire. She is bone tired and only has minutes left in her before she crashes. He chin keeps hitting her chest and her eyes demand closure. She needs rest before she collapses.

Gabrielle, to HEAD HEALER, with bone deep weariness

GABRIELLE

Thank you. Half of yours sleep, rest keep working. Wake them and me around midnight.

The HEAD HEALER just nods, too tired for words.

Gabrielle stands up slowly and looks at the sunset. She turns and trudges towards her bed, calling her in the distance.

CUT TO:

INT. THERMOPYLAE – COMMAND TENT – 6TH DAY/LATE EVENING

For the first time in her life Gabrielle just drops her armor and weapons and lets them be. She quickly washes her hands and face, not caring about the remaining mess on her body. She kicks off her boots and sinks into the pallet with a sigh, only to jerk wide awake with anticipation. She feels her Goddess coming and she regains her feet quickly, if ungainly. The smile drops when Athena appears.

The woman that appears is ancient and the eyes older still. Gabrielle's heart has no trouble recognizing or loving her and she takes the elderly Goddess into an embrace and kisses her passionately with tears in her eyes. Mutual need met, time for answers.

Gabrielle, concerned and worried, softly

GABRIELLE

Love, what have you done to yourself?

Athena, choking back emotions

ATHENA

Forgive me.

Gabrielle abandons her curiosity and focuses on the most important thing: Athena.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Shh, come here.

She guides the crying Goddess to the pallet and sets her down gently. She joins her and throws the blanket over them. They fall asleep quickly in each other's arms; cuddled together and at peace.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. THERMOPYLAE – COMMAND TENT – 7TH DAY/EARLY MORNING

Gabrielle enters the tent, freshly cleaned and carrying a tray loaded with food. She is tired, having spent the night in the hospital after only a few hours rest. The bath refreshed her and now she looks forward to breakfast and another nap.

Athena wakes up and groggily sits up in bed. Welcome sight greets her.

Gabrielle, lovingly

GABRIELLE

I love you.

Athena, grinning

ATHENA

I love the breakfast.

Gabrielle laughs and taking off her boots, settles on the bed. She works her way behind Athena and lets the Goddess rest on her chest armor. Gabrielle nuzzles the white hair and kisses the top of the head. She moves the tray over and holds it for both of them. They start eating.

Gabrielle, conversationally

GABRIELLE

Battle is over, we survived. Held a council with strategoi this morning and scheduled another this afternoon to turn the command over to them. We will eat, take a nap, and then I have patients to see. Tonight we return to Trachis and the inn. Hope Xena is in better condition than you. Something tells me she is not.

Athena, apprehensively

ATHENA

You don't mind my appearance?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Love, it matters not. You are the gorgeous Goddess in golden armor that stole my heart in the Black Wolf camp. Well, that and the divine huggy tunic revelation under it. Sweet Athena!

Athena, warmly

ATHENA

I love you, beautiful bard.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

So, you admit it?

ATHENA

Forever.

Gabrielle kisses her head again.

GABRIELLE

Again love, the limb-loosener, rattles me
bittersweet,
irresistible,
a crawling beast.
As a wind in the mountains
assaults an oak,
Love shook my breast.
You came, Athena, you did so good
You refreshed my heart that was burned by desire
Purer than snow
Fresher than water
Softer than the finest veil.
I loved you, Athena, long ago
even when you seemed to me
a temple statue.

It was you that enchanted the mortals,
Child of Zeus,
You the best of stars
And purer than snow.

Athena turns in her arms and they kiss, lost in each other's eyes. The tray is abandoned and forgotten, Gabrielle's hands occupied elsewhere.

CUT TO:

INT. THERMOPYLAE – COMMAND TENT – 7TH DAY/LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle enters to find her gear packed and ready. Argo waits outside and neighs impatiently. Athena, sitting on a stool and apparently restored to her youth, sends the cup in her hand away. Gabrielle shivers at the mere sight of it, remembering Ares. Athena, thinking she is the cause, avoids her eyes.

Athena, regretfully

ATHENA

I am sorry love, I know how you feel about ambrosia.

Gabrielle walks and kneels in front of the Goddess. She lifts her chin with her right hand and places a kiss on the willing lips. The left hand caresses Athena's arm. Eyes meet and all is forgiven.

Gabrielle, lightly

GABRIELLE

Met Ares a few days ago, he offered the nectar and marriage.

Athena, growing angry

ATHENA

What did he do?

Gabrielle, dispelling Athena's negative emotions, lovingly

GABRIELLE

I can't give to another what is already yours.

Gabrielle kisses the tears away and holds Athena close to her chest, stroking her hair.

Athena, sobbing, hurting

ATHENA

I died inside missing you.

GABRIELLE

Me too.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACHIS – INN ROOM – 7TH DAY/EARLY EVENING

Xena lies on top of the blankets in bed. Her glazed eyes stare blankly at the ceiling. They are sunken and dark circles frame them. The face is gaunter than usual. It appears and smells like she was in that bed for days without leaving. The shutters are closed and sunlight has to fight hard to sneak inside the room. The general ambience is one of passing, the sickness claiming the occupant that is not long for the touch of Death and a one-way ride on Charon's boat. Into this den of despair the door opens and the sun comes inside the room. Gabrielle flinches as the sights and stench assault her senses, then closes the door and moves to the shutters. She throws them wide open and then tosses the three full chamber pots outside to the ensuing curses that float to her on the not so gentle breeze. Framed by the square of pure light, her shimmering blonde hair lit with sun and the blood armor glowing, she is a vision that captures and holds Xena's soul. Her angel comes at last and she is ready to depart to Tartarus, where they will spend the rest of eternity. Together. Xena smiles and reaches out with her arms.

Gabrielle, shattering the illusion

GABRIELLE

Hello Xena.

Xena slowly and reluctantly returns to the present. Her arms drop with a defeated thud.

Xena, blinking her bloodshot eyes, incredulous

XENA

Are you real?

Gabrielle, painfully alive, confirms

GABRIELLE

Pulpy yet breathing.

Xena, concerned

XENA

You are injured.

GABRIELLE

It will pass. Disappointed?

Xena thinks of the release she longed for and then faces reality.

Xena, admitting

XENA

Yes … no.

Gabrielle, understanding her better than she thinks, nodding

GABRIELLE

What's your poison? Blade or herb?

Xena, caught in the act, embarrassed

XENA

Falling on my sword.

Gabrielle, wryly

GABRIELLE

You have a flair for drama.

XENA

What now?

Gabrielle, concerned

GABRIELLE

Where is your head at?

Xena, admitting

XENA

Laid in bed and stared at the walls for days.

GABRIELLE

What did you come up with?

Xena, quietly

XENA

I was wrong about Locia and Thermopylae; you changed and I lost you.

Gabrielle, confirming yet reassuring

GABRIELLE

You are right about the first three.

Xena, knowing her and reading the haunted eyes, despairs at the answer

XENA

What happened?

Gabrielle, wistfully

GABRIELLE

I chose to take a life.

Xena, moaning

XENA

No … I'm sorry.

Gabrielle, resigned

GABRIELLE

Their best cut down by my hand. I did not have a choice.

Xena, guiltily

XENA

I was not there …

Gabrielle, accepting

GABRIELLE

It tears my soul yet I go on. I have to.

Xena, hesitantly

XENA

Do you blame me?

Gabrielle, smiling sadly

GABRIELLE

No. Your training saved my life.

XENA

It took one.

GABRIELLE

His defeat inspired hope of victory and faith in my leadership.

Xena, dreading the answer, coarsely

XENA

How many … survived?

Gabrielle, with overwhelming sadness

GABRIELLE

Seven thousand whittled to few hundred.

XENA

Gabrielle, I am proud of you and happy that you are alive.

Gabrielle, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

I did what I had to.

Gabrielle comes over and sits on the bed. She takes Xena's hand and picks it up. She gently kisses the back of it and then holds it on her lap between hers. The gesture speaks to Xena more eloquently than a thousand words. Her best friend is back.

Xena, tearfully, curious

XENA

How did you arrive ahead of the news?

GABRIELLE

Athena.

XENA

How did she take it?

Gabrielle, guiltily

GABRIELLE

You think you are a mess, you should see her. Gods are immortal but this nearly killed her. The battle was nothing compared to what my decision did to both of you.

XENA

Would you do it again?

Gabrielle, instantly

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

Knowing this future.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Xena, shocked

XENA

Wow.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Athena made a commitment. She is in for the entire package: mortal lifespan, greater good, you, your past and heroic last stands. Xena, love is risk.

XENA

True.

Pause.

Xena, concerned

XENA

Where is she?

GABRIELLE

Down the hall. I ordered hot baths and meals for both of you.

Xena, looking herself over, ruefully

XENA

I am a mess.

Gabrielle, smiling warmly

GABRIELLE

I am keeping you regardless.

Xena, meaning it, gratefully

XENA

Thanks. For coming back and staying.

GABRIELLE

You need help?

Xena, ashamed

XENA

I have not eaten in a week and slept little.

Gabrielle, dramatically

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, apologetically

XENA

I'm sorry, there was no point.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

What am I going to do with you?

Xena, grinning

XENA

Anything you want.

GABRIELLE

You got anything under the tunic?

Xena, cheekily

XENA

Nothing.

GABRIELLE

Figures. I am going to bathe you and then we will eat. You will stay in bed until dawn. I have to take care of the other basket case.

Xena, approving

XENA

Good plan.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Xena, next time you decide to give up on life, wash and eat regularly to the end.

Xena, fondly

XENA

My best friend.

GABRIELLE

More like your mother. Cyrene is hearing of this.

Pause.

Gabrielle, uneasy

GABRIELLE

What I said at the end …

Knock on the door interrupts them.

INN STAFF, from behind the door, loudly

INN STAFF

Hot water for the bath.

Xena, with small grin

XENA

Saved by the knock.

Gabrielle lets the past go, but decides to keep Xena squirming.

Gabrielle, threateningly

GABRIELLE

For now.

Xena does not buy it, knowing well the forgiving nature of the bard.

Xena, smiling

XENA

Promises, promises.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page