Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“This Child of Mine”

Episode 21

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. TRACHIS – INN ROOM – DAWN

Xena applies salve to Gabrielle's severely bruised torso. Gabrielle has only her underwraps on and once Xena is finished, she slips on her tunic with difficulty. Next, Xena works on the limbs, changing dressings and bandages. The injuries mock her, vivid reminders of her guilt.

Finished, Xena puts away the healing supplies. Not a word is spoken thru the entire process and uneasy mood blankets the room. The events since Locia weigh heavily on Xena. She watches as Gabrielle slowly and with grimaces of pain puts on her armor and weapons. Xena has nothing to offer and gazes down in shame. She is brought back by a strong yet gentle hand grasping her shoulder and giving her a reassuring squeeze. Her world slowly rights itself but the look in Gabrielle's eyes means there will be consequences.

Athena appears, outwardly unchanged, but the eyes betray her. There is sorrow and pain there and they look their real age, millennia old. The eyes are beyond ambrosia's rejuvenation and Xena shudders to imagine the suffering involved. Compelled by her conscience, she moves on wooden legs and kneels in front of Athena, taking Athena's hands in her own. Xena rests her forehead on them, the posture repentant.

Xena, tearfully, with great sorrow and regret

XENA

I'm sorry.

Athena looks surprised at first and then appears ready to jerk her hands away, when Gabrielle steps behind her and circles Athena's waist with her arms. Gabrielle melds into Athena and whispers in her ear.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Trust me, love.

Athena exhales and relaxes. Xena, still holding onto the hands, stands up and faces them both. Two sets of eyes. One trusting and open; one judging and finding her wanting.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

Athena will take us to Potidaea, north of town. Xena, we need to talk.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – OUTSIDE POTIDAEA – EARLY MORNING

Xena watches as Gabrielle provisions Argo, her movements stiff and slowed, yet the motions familiar, a daily routine that is comfortable and feels like … home. Ominously, Gabrielle's old backpack makes an appearance. Worse, Xena's things go in there. Short time later, they are packed and ready to set off. Instead of heading out first, Gabrielle moves to face Xena. Xena braces for the lecture to come, knowing this too will pass. She is more worried about the separation of their belongings.

Gabrielle, firmly, confirming Xena's fears

GABRIELLE

I am going home and you are not coming with me.

Xena, with choking gasp

XENA

No …

Gabrielle, warmly and with unwavering conviction

GABRIELLE

You always come first.

Xena, lost

XENA

You are not leaving me?

GABRIELLE

Never. I am saving my daughter.

XENA

Lila.

GABRIELLE

Yes, I made mother a promise: Lila comes first. Then I left her.

Xena, amazed

XENA

You did that for me?

Gabrielle, bitterly

GABRIELLE

I made a choice and it broke my heart. I raised her for thirteen years and then I abandoned her. Some mother I turned out to be.

Xena, afraid

XENA

Do you hate me for it?

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Xena, I love you.

Noticing the look, Gabrielle elucidates.

GABRIELLE

Not in that way. There are two types of families. One you enter by blood, the other by choice. You are mine.

Xena basks in the words, ignoring the qualifier, her hope soaring.

XENA

Where are you taking her?

GABRIELLE

Amphipolis.

XENA

What?!

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

You mother lost a daughter. I am bringing her back.

Xena, incredulous

XENA

Gabrielle, are you mad?

GABRIELLE

I go in first. I was thinking of spending winter there anyway. Let me work on them and set the stage for you.

XENA

Execution stage.

GABRIELLE

I am a hero after Thermopylae. My word carries weight and what I say goes. They will allow you back because I tell them and in time embrace you because the young Xena is returning. They will see what I see, they will know what I know, and they will love who I love. Let me help you. Let me give you your home back.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

You would do this for me? After I abandoned you?

Gabrielle, persuasively

GABRIELLE

Xena, you had a moment of weakness. I broke a promise and chased after a dream. We are all human and we all fail. Hercules was right. True measure of a hero is what one does at the end of the day. I return to right a wrong and fulfill the oath I given.

XENA

Do you regret it?

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

No. I knew one day I would have to let her go. I do regret the circumstances of my abrupt departure. I run away from the problem and left Lila to deal with the fallout.

Xena, wonderingly

XENA

What of me?

GABRIELLE

I think you need time alone and distance between us to sort things out. My commitment is as solid as a mountain and as timeless as the tides. I await your answer.

XENA

What is the question?

Gabrielle, looking into Xena's eyes, seriously

GABRIELLE

Who comes first?

XENA

You know the answer.

Gabrielle, shaking her head, sadly

GABRIELLE

I hear you speak the words with my ears but not with my heart. Convince me.

XENA

My word is not enough?

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

You broke your word.

XENA

You want me to declare my feelings openly?

GABRIELLE

I want you to put someone above you.

Xena, miserably

XENA

What will I do without you?

Gabrielle hugs her and Xena returns it, wanting to stay here forever. She very reluctantly lets go when Gabrielle breaks it and Gabrielle knows it.

Gabrielle, comforting and assuring

GABRIELLE

I am always with you. The bond makes us one soul.

Xena, horror in her eyes as she realizes something, worriedly

XENA

What color is yours?

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

Remember when I said we are the same? Your soul turned mine black. When I look at myself I see your reflection.

Xena, ripping at her hair in despair

XENA

What have I done?

Gabrielle grabs Xena's hands and brings them together, holding them between her own.

GABRIELLE

I am strong enough to fight it and win; you are not beyond redemption. Trust me.

Xena, agitated

XENA

I condemned you.

Gabrielle, convincingly

GABRIELLE

We are together, for better or worse. Xena, you are not alone. Go, find some inner peace and we will meet again in three weeks at Draco's former camp. The beginning of our journey and the start of a new chapter in our story.

XENA

What if I cannot convince you then?

GABRIELLE

Then my promise will serve for both of us.

XENA

And if my actions cause you to break it?

Gabrielle, earnestly

GABRIELLE

We make our own fate.

XENA

True. You want Argo?

GABRIELLE

You must have met Lila.

Xena, grinning

XENA

She is too big to ride sheep.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Funny thing that, knowing someone's childhood. I see me and Cyrene sharing many a story in the kitchen …

XENA

Methinks you are doing this to gain an upper hand in our conversations.

GABRIELLE

A certain warlord taught me to seek the smallest advantage over an opponent.

XENA

Great idea, I can't wait to meet your daughter.

GABRIELLE

She is loyal to her mother.

Xena, bluffing

XENA

That will be tested with sweets and honey.

Gabrielle, calling her bluff

GABRIELLE

She is staying with your mother. Cyrene's is not famous for her food, she is known for her cakes and desserts. Even that sweet tooth monster will be full.

XENA

How do you know?

GABRIELLE

There is an official bard network across Greece, passing recommendations, messages and scrolls. Bad performers often have their limbs broken to encourage them to seek other ways of employment. No one wants a bad olive spoiling the entire batch.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Wow. I thought warlord business was brutal. Now you tell me sweet, gentle bards are cracking skulls and breaking bones. No wonder you carry that staff. You the official enforcer?

Gabrielle, philosophically

GABRIELLE

Money is money. Five drachma a limb and I don't ask questions.

Xena laughs. Then she realizes they are still holding hands and looks at Gabrielle meaningfully and then down at her hands clasped in hers. Gabrielle shrugs.

GABRIELLE

Don't read into it. Or this sweet, gentle bard will administer a beating commission free.

She gives Xena's hands a squeeze and lets them drop.

Xena, wonderingly

XENA

You always know the right thing to say and do. I think I will be alright on my own for a while. Hurry back thou.

Gabrielle, cheerfully

GABRIELLE

Child to save, mothers to love, all in day's work.

XENA

Gabrielle, you can love my mother. Just don't make designs on my mother.

GABRIELLE

Ewww. And on that disturbing note, we part ways.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. POTIDAEA – KITCHEN – MIDMORNING

The loud clattering of dishes hides the sound of the door opening and entrance of another, not that it would matter, the steps and the movement being so light. Hecuba rinses the plate and dries it then sets it down with the others, humming to herself. Gabrielle spins her mother around and lifts her in a hug. Hecuba is startled then stunned at this strong woman in steel armor lifting her as if she was the child here.

Hecuba, surprised

Gabe … Gabrielle! Set me down you rascal before you break something.

Gabrielle does and Hecuba touches Gabrielle's face with both hands, running her fingers over the familiar features, assuring herself this vision is real.

Hecuba, examining, tearfully

HECUBA

Let me look at you. We heard tales: Tracus, Troy and Thermopylae . We know about Athens.

She continues to the armor and strong arms emerging from within. She feels the scars and bandages covering the tanned, muscled exterior. Grasping the strong, callused hands she brings them to her chest. Tears flow unbound as she presses and holds them against her breasts. Cradling her long lost baby girl, or at least a part of her, Hecuba is feeling joy and sadness at the same time, the mix of emotions swirling in her. Gabrielle is smiling warmly if tearily as her mother tries to take in all the changes, at once.

Gabrielle, nervously

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles …

Hecuba, accusingly

HECUBA

You had an entire life you kept from us. From me. Now I understand why you left; there is nothing here for you. You were not a part of this village; of us.

Gabrielle, holding Hecuba with her eyes, evenly

GABRIELLE

You know that is not the truth, mother. My blood family is here: father, you and my child. And a promise I made to you long ago. Do you remember?

Hecuba, worried

HECUBA

Lila?

GABRIELLE

I come for my daughter.

Hecuba, scared

HECUBA

No.

GABRIELLE

I understand what she means to you. Do you understand what she means to me?

HECUBA

You can't …

GABRIELLE

Mother, you asked me to put Lila first and to protect her always. I am keeping my word. I won't fail my daughter again.

HECUBA

Gabrielle …

GABRIELLE

Mother, will I find marks and bruises on her?

Hecuba withdraws, hiding from the pain as she learned over the years, not realizing what it will cost her this time. She thinks only of herself.

HECUBA

…

GABRIELLE

Mother, answer me.

HECUBA

…

GABRIELLE

You know I won't hurt father, right?

HECUBA

…

GABRIELLE

That will change if what I suspect to find will be there.

HECUBA

…

Gabrielle, deciding

GABRIELLE

I love you, ma. You are right, I am different and it is not just physical. I won't let the strong hurt the weak. It is not Xena father has to fear; it is me. Your silence is answer enough and you made your choice as I have made mine. Don't try to stop me or there will be blood. Now, where is my daughter?

HECUBA

She took the herd to the usual grazing field.

Pause.

Hecuba, knowing the answer, hurting

HECUBA

Are you ever coming back? Either of you?

GABRIELLE

I thought I could forgive anything and find compassion for all souls. I was wrong. I think it better if I did not return.

Gabrielle walks away. Halfway there, she turns and comes back to the table.

GABRIELLE

One more thing.

Removing it from the belt, she tosses a large bag of coins on the table.

HECUBA

What's that?

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

The dower that was so precious to you - every last drachma. My debt to you is paid and I am free. Goodbye mother.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GRAZING FIELD – LATE MORNING

Lila, skeleton thin, stands morosely at the barkless, beaten tree trunk that her mother used for practice. A scarred, naked reminder of what was lost. So many good memories. Then Prax died and mother left ... she is alone. She can't sleep and she can't eat and each day she dies a little more. Father talks about marriage, but no one wants her. They are afraid she is like Gabrielle, wild and outspoken. Nothing could be further from the truth. The villagers admire her mother but none want to live with her. Once the stories started even Perdicus abandoned any notion of marriage; men of Potidaea like their women quiet and obedient. She touches the bare wood and traces the indentations as grass stalks bend under the weight of her falling tears. Then the familiar scent and the strong arms are around her and for a second she thinks this is a hallucination of her starved mind.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Hello bunny.

Afraid to believe and wanting it to be true, Lila turns around and feels the warmth of her mother's love. Months apart vanish and she is where she belongs again.

Lila, sobbing

LILA

Ma!

She buries her face in the tunic and holds on with a desperate grasp. Gabrielle notices the dark bruises on her arms, where they leave the sleeves of the dress. She lets go of the anger and concentrates on being here for her daughter. She slightly rocks the shaking body.

Gabrielle, fiercely

GABRIELLE

Shh, you are safe now. No one will hurt you again and live to tell about it.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – PRAXITELES' CABIN – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle leads Argo with Lila sitting in the saddle. The growth is everywhere now that nature has won the battle. She stops at the charred remains of the cabin, already overgrown.

GABRIELLE

Stay here.

She takes her bow and quiver and walks on the barely visible path. He mother did not take her advice and the village sent a hunting party out. She nicked a few of them and they got the message and left the forest in a hurry. Especially since they did not see or hear who fired the arrows that spoke her warning. It is one thing to hunt a prey; it is another to be hunted by a ghost. The tales of her prowess were confirmed painfully.

Gabrielle walks into a small circular grove of trees. Inside are two cairns, one old and mossy, the other more recent. She stops at that one and sets down some flowers, their flowers. She kneels and touches the stones, bowing her head as she speaks.

GABRIELLE

Hello father. First time back in those parts and I can't wait to leave. Mother is right, this is not my village. They were friends with Gabe and they adopted Gabrielle the hero. No one knows Gabrielle the girl and frankly, I don't care to put forth the effort. Lila is back with me and she looks bad, worse than usual. I always knew she was dependant on me; I did not realize to what extent. That is my fault, I should have made her stronger and more independent. I am afraid to leave her again for fear of her wasting away. The thing that helps is the fact that if Amphipolis becomes my home, I will spend winters there. Speaking of the town, I now travel with its most famous, or rather infamous inhabitant. Xena is my family and we make our home out on the road. I became the bard you always believed I would be and your faith was rewarded. Sadly, I am not a healer. I do volunteer my services if it is any consolation. I chose a different path, that of the sword. I am not content to treat the symptoms. I know you are disappointed but I am sure you understand. It happened the night of that raid on the nearby village. I remember that man you could not save and I swore that day that I will not stand idly by and wait for the wounded and dead to pile up. I would go out and stop them before they hurt innocents. I did and will continue to do it, together with Xena and Athena, the other half of my heart. Father, I will always carry you with me, your knowledge and your wisdom. I love you. Goodbye da.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – VILLAGE – 2 DAYS LATER/NOON

Gabrielle walks and Lila rides. Lila is unhappy because her mother made her walk all morning and her feet hurt. She likes the horse and riding. Her mother massages her legs so it hardly even hurts to spend long time in the saddle. Her color is back and she is sleeping well and eating again. Now she glances curiously about. This is the first time she traveled anywhere and any new place is exciting. Only Gabrielle went to festivals in other villages and even a town once when a group including her father went out with merchants to sell local crafts. Lila stayed home like other women.

The VILLAGERS gaze at the horse and the travelers. Some recognize Gabrielle from earlier this year; she made a big impression and then there are the tales. Some recognize Argo and wonder what happened to its famous owner. Whispers travel and hushed voices converse surreptitiously. Someone evidently sends a word to the inn, as one YOUNG BOY runs straight thru the town square and disappears inside.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN TAVERN – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle and Lila are enjoying lunch, she chasing it down with mead and Lila settling for water. Not by her choice but mother is adamant and does not back down. Service hallway door opens from the other side and a portly, middle aged woman with dark hair looks around and proceeds to their table once she spots them. Cyrene sits down on the bench opposite Gabrielle. Gabrielle knows she is about to meet Xena's family and guesses this the mother. Uncomfortable silence falls as Cyrene studies them both. Gabrielle breaks it quickly, as is her custom.

GABRIELLE

Yes, I am Gabrielle and this is my daughter Lila.

Cyrene, sarcastically

CYRENE

You started having children in the cradle?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

She has your sense of humor.

Cyrene breath catches as she knows who Gabrielle is referring to. Almost afraid, she asks tentatively.

CYRENE

How is she?

GABRIELLE

Xena is healing. There are good days and there are bad. She is taking time to reflect on her actions. We had words.

Cyrene considers the words and the tone. She nods to herself and now looks Gabrielle straight in the eyes. She blinks, realizing something has happened but not something she can place a finger on. Gabrielle is looking at her warmly, projecting confidence and strength. Dressed in blood red armor, that is unquestionably a warrior sitting in front of Cyrene. The build and the movements remind her of her own daughter; of Xena. There. Now that Gabrielle has spoken it, the name is out and she has her daughter back, in name at least. Cyrene examines Gabrielle closer. Same searching eyes taking in everything in the tavern, evaluating threats. Same relaxed yet coiled appearance, ready to explode into action at a moment's notice. Yet so different. The gaze that falls on Lila is full of love and her entire face glows with it. There is no hard, impassive expression, no impenetrable eyes boring into you and giving away nothing. The eyes are intelligent and vivid. They speak almost as well as the words that form in the mouth below. Gabrielle talks with her hands and constantly touches things and people. Right now Gabrielle is wiping a corner of Lila's mouth where some stew has found a spot to sit. It is totally unconscious action and one she as a mother knows well. Her daughter being who she is, Cyrene wonders how she survived Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, breaking into her musings

GABRIELLE

I gather I meet your approval, mom.

Cyrene is taken back by the familiarity and the completely casual and unassuming nature of the statement. She considers it and decides she likes it and the person in front of her.

Cyrene, apologetically

CYRENE

I am sorry for staring at you and my earlier rudeness. I have to thank you for saving my daughter's …. Xena's life.

GABRIELLE

She is my hero and the saving of life is mutual.

Now tears form in Cyrene's eyes and before she knows it, Gabrielle leaves her seat and is next to her in a flash, comforting her.

Cyrene, voice breaking

CYRENE

For so long her name was cursed it became one. To hear someone call her anything else …

GABRIELLE

She is my family. Did Toris tell you?

CYRENE

Toris mentioned making you part of our family. I think the word he used was marriage. So unless you are joining or are joined with my daughter, we are not talking about the same thing. Not that I am judging, you are good for her.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Whoa, not you too.

Cyrene, confused

CYRENE

Did I say something wrong?

GABRIELLE

It is a running joke among us that people try to marry me. Toris was the first but not the last. Xena is my best friend and family.

CYRENE

Sorry, I walked into that one, both feet in my mouth.

GABRIELLE

Let's go in the kitchen, more privacy. And food, since the rat is now eating my portion.

Lila ignores the comment and continues to attack her mother's plate with enthusiasm. Gabrielle takes her cup of mead and stands up.

GABRIELLE

Lila, straight to the kitchen when you are done.

Lila nods and Gabrielle is about to set some coins on the table when Cyrene stops her.

CYRENE

I don't charge family.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

You don't know Lila.

Lila sticks her stew covered tongue at her and Gabrielle laughs. Gabrielle ruffles Lila's hair affectionately and heads to the kitchen with Cyrene.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle sits at a small food preparation table. Cyrene moves around, checking the progress of various items. The kitchen is typical of an inn, with several wood fired ovens, large pots bubbling away and spits roasting. Window shutters are thrown wide open to let the cool fall breeze chase the scents around the room. Cyrene gets another portion in a bowl and slices some bread then sets the results on a wooden tray in front of Gabrielle, who is sipping her mead and taking in the sights and smells of the kitchen. She is particularly interested in several freshly baked cakes cooling on the shelves.

GABRIELLE

Thanks. My advice is to hide the sweet stuff before Lila shows up.

Cyrene, seeking to establish common ground

CYRENE

She is such a skinny thing.

Cyrene takes a seat next to Gabrielle and puts her hands on the table, playing with her wedding ring. Gabrielle takes note and files for later use. Atrius' homecoming will be bittersweet.

GABRIELLE

Bottomless pit. It is a mystery where the food goes in her. I have been feeding her my entire life and still don't know.

CYRENE

Orphan? Sister?

GABRIELLE

You know the farmer's lot; more lean days than not. Lila was the youngest and left to fend for herself. I raised her from birth and took care of her. She was my responsibility and the love of my life. Until I abandoned her.

CYRENE

I don't know you very long but what you did that day months ago tells me you don't give up on people. Even those lost and damned. Why then?

GABRIELLE

Was that you in the door of the inn when we were leaving?

CYRENE

I wanted to walk away but couldn't. I put my face against the door I closed on Xena and listened to her die. By my hand.

Gabrielle stops eating and covers Cyrene's hands with her own.

Gabrielle, compassionately

GABRIELLE

Mothers don't stop loving their children. No matter what she did, she is your daughter.

Cyrene, despairing

CYRENE

I told her I had no daughter. She died right then and there. She had no one left and I saw her give up.

Gabrielle, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

She had me.

Cyrene, shocked

CYRENE

You care more for stranger than your own flesh and blood?

Gabrielle, sorrowfully

GABRIELLE

I had a choice to make.

CYRENE

Bless your heart for making it. Anything you want, anything in my power, name it and it is yours.

GABRIELLE

I come to give you your daughter back.

CYRENE

I don't understand.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

I have a gift to see things in others. On the day I met Xena I saw the truth. Our souls are bound together and we are the same. I go where she goes and she goes where I go. I am as responsible for her evil as she is.

Cyrene, repulsed

CYRENE

How could she force that on another person? To do those things, yes, but to share the blood spilled and atrocities committed? That is an affront to the Gods. Gabrielle, nobody can forgive that.

GABRIELLE

I accepted it and I forgave her. Love is hard, hate is easy.

CYRENE

…

Gabrielle, convincingly

GABRIELLE

Cyrene, inside she is a good person.

Cyrene, suspiciously

CYRENE

What is your agenda?

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

None, she is her own person. She had a choice to join me at Thermopylae and she refused.

Cyrene, outraged

CYRENE

Gabrielle, that was certain death! Even I know that and I am a simple innkeeper. Hardly anyone was expected to emerge out of there alive. You wanted my daughter to join you in that madness?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

You are something else and I think you are scarier than she ever was.

Gabrielle, simply

GABRIELLE

I believe in greater good. There are things worth fighting and dying for. Xena is coming to realize that and one day she will.

CYRENE

I am not sure I like that. I want my daughter back alive.

GABRIELLE

Xena selfishly indulged for eleven years. I spent my life sacrificing for others. Since we are together, we have to walk a common path.

Gabrielle looks her directly in the eyes.

GABRIELLE

Cyrene, I see the truth in myself and I cannot lie. There is a reason I am telling you this. This is our life now.

Cyrene, sighing

CYRENE

Gabrielle, I fear I was better off not knowing.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

So mom, now that you know the truth, we staying or you kicking us out?

Cyrene, deciding

CYRENE

As my father used to say, you might be strange, but you are our strange. Welcome to the family.

Gabrielle reaches over and they hug.

Cyrene, joking

CYRNENE

A long as you are fixing my children, do something about Toris. Time he settled down and gave me some grandkids.

GABRIELLE

I am not marrying him. Mom.

CYRENE

Pity. You want a home for Lila?

Gabrielle, smiling mischievously

GABRIELLE

I found her a home.

Cyrene, admiringly

CYRENE

You sneak. Xena had no chance against you, did she?

GABRIELLE

None.

Cyrene, genially

CYRENE

Go and finish your food before it gets cold.

Gabrielle releases her and resumes eating. Cyrene appears to consider things and finally settles on one.

CYRENE

Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE

Yes?

CYRENE

Thanks for returning my family to me.

Gabrielle answer is a smile so warm and the eyes so innocent and open, she begins to rethink her assumptions. People always want something. For the first time she met someone who does not and it is quite disconcerting. Gabrielle's actions don't make any sense unless …

CYRENE

Why are you here?

GABRIELLE

To reunite Xena with her mother.

CYRENE

This is not about Lila?

GABRIELLE

We can't travel all the time. I got bruises on top of bruises. It would be good to rest over the winter and Potidaea is out.

Cyrene notices the signs of pain that Gabrielle was hiding all along. She remembers what Gabrielle just survived and slaps her head. She moves behind Gabrielle.

CYRENE

Stand up and turn around.

Gabrielle complies and Cyrene removes her belt.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

I can undress myself.

CYRENE

No arguing. Arms out.

Cyrene unbuckles and removes Gabrielle's armor.

Cyrene, lifting the tunic and wincing at the battered and mottled flesh

CYRENE

Zeus have mercy, I will call for a healer.

Gabrielle, defensively

GABRIELLE

I am one too, you know.

Cyrene, in her best no nonsense voice

CYRENE

That kind of beating would have most grown men down and screaming in pain and you run around like it is nothing. You are more like Xena than you realize. I want you in bed and looked over by our local healer, Acacius. I mean it. Out there you are in charge but this is my inn and I run the place. You listening?

GABRIELLE

Lila …

CYRENE

The children's old rooms are empty, I will put her in Xena's. You march over to your room young lady and stay there until I tell you to leave.

Gabrielle considers this battle and decides she is not going to win. But a parting shot …

GABRIELLE

After you.

Cyrene takes the armor and belt and points to the door back to hallway. Gabrielle sighs and picking up her staff, goes first.

Cyrene, smirking

CYRENE

I dealt with more stubborn that you.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is resting comfortably on her back. The room is small, but clean. It is one of several in the narrow hallway opposite the kitchen, where the family make their residence. Guests are upstairs. Cyrene enters with Lila in tow, Gabrielle aware of them long before they arrive, dagger ready in case of trouble. Cyrene gives her a curious look as she notices glint of a blade disappearing under the covers. Lila rushes straight to the bed and throws herself on her mother and Gabrielle has to clench her teeth not to howl in pain. She gently disengages Lila and Cyrene comes over to help.

Lila, concerned

LILA

Ma, you okay?

Gabrielle, grinning thru pain

GABRIELLE

Bed arrest.

CYRENE

Keep complaining and I will chain you.

GABRIELLE

Xena described you as a sweet and kind.

CYRENE

Unlike you, Xena lies.

GABRIELLE

Like mother, like daughter.

CYRENE

And gag you.

GABRIELLE

Definitely.

Cyrene shakes her head.

CYRENE

I will see if the healer is here. Lila, stay off your mother.

She leaves and Lila settles on the floor next to the bed, her head poking over the edge.

GABRIELLE

You like your new room?

LILA

I want to stay with you.

GABRIELLE

Lila, I leave in three weeks but I will return shortly and stay the winter. Then I go on the road again for many months. We are going to be apart.

Lila, pouting

LILA

You don't love me.

GABRIELLE

Lila honey, I do love you very much. I found you a nice family to stay with. No one will hurt you and you can have all the food you want and sweets and cakes.

LILA

I want to be with you.

GABRIELLE

You can sleep here at night and we will spend lots of time together. I will tell you stories about my travels and give you scrolls to read. Come on bunny, let's see that smile.

Lila, considering

LILA

You promise?

GABRIELLE

Yes. I will return home to you.

Lila, smiling happily

LILA

I believe you. There are cakes in the kitchen?

Gabrielle grins as she puts a hand to her ear.

GABRIELLE

They are calling you, can you hear them? Lila, Lilaaa, Lilaaaaaaa.

LILA

They are not.

But she gets up and goes to the door and puts her ear to it. Unable to resist any longer, she opens the door and walks out. Her footsteps move away toward the kitchen, gaining speed with each step.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – EARLY EVENING

Acacius comes in and wakes Gabrielle from a light doze. He is followed by Cyrene, bringing a cup of hot water. The healer works in silence as he changes the dressings on the limbs and then whistles when he sees the torso.

ACACIUS

Anything broken?

GABRIELLE

Hephaestus' armor. Things are shaken but intact.

ACACIUS

What did you take for pain?

GABRIELLE

Nothing. It slows down the reflexes.

Acacius, amazed

ACACIUS

How are you conscious with this much pain?

A dagger appears in Gabrielle's hand out of nowhere and flies with power and speed right into the middle of the door, burying itself halfway to the handle.

Gabrielle, plainly

GABRIELLE

Survival.

Acacius looks at Cyrene imploringly and she nods.

ACACIUS

I will return in the morning. I strongly recommend bed rest for a week. Let the body heal in peace.

Acacius gathers his things and taking a look at Gabrielle's supplies nods in approval and leaves. Cyrene brings over Gabrielle's healer kit he was just looking at.

Cyrene, giving her the look, sternly

CYRENE

You going to make trouble?

GABRIELLE

I will be good.

CYRENE

Take your medicine.

GABRIELLE

Not happening.

Cyrene, changing tactics smoothly

CYRENE

That is an unusually large kit, you have everything in here.

GABRIELLE

I had extensive training and practice as a healer and midwife. We stop at villages so I can work. The bard brings in the coins and the healer works for free.

CYRENE

What does Xena do?

GABRIELLE

Impatiently sits at campfire and listens to her stomach growl.

CYRENE

Does not seem equal.

GABRIELLE

Xena's rules.

CYRENE

And you follow them?

GABRIELLE

There have been changes. Newest version has Xena's rules with Gabrielle's revisions.

CYRENE

I think there is something else you are not telling me. Gabrielle, why did she let you fight alone at Thermopylae ?

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

There is a part of Xena that wants me dead.

Cyrene brings a hand over her mouth in shock.

GABRIELLE

Second time she sent me to my death.

CYRENE

…

GABRIELLE

I shaped my own destiny in that pass.

Cyrene nods.

Cyrene, curious

CYRENE

What does the other part of Xena want from you?

GABRIELLE

Love.

CYRENE

She has that. What you done for her is beyond understanding. I take back my earlier words. You are special.

GABRIELLE

Thanks. Xena wants a physical relationship.

Cyrene, mildly

CYRENE

That is one way of putting it.

GABRIELLE

You are her mother. I am trying to be polite here.

CYRENE

There is no mention in the tales or rumors of … that.

GABRIELLE

Cyrene, respect her private life.

CYRENE

Gabrielle, she is my daughter. I want to know.

GABRIELLE

This is worse than talking to my mother. Not that we ever had that talk, but this is starting to turn into a nightmare version of what it would be like.

CYRENE

I had a husband and three children. This is not some great mystery of life to me. Besides, think of it as practice for Lila.

GABRIELLE

Oh Gods.

CYRENE

Your daughter, your talk; she is of marriageable age.

GABRIELLE

…

CYRENE

Do you trust me?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

Then tell me.

Gabrielle considers this for a moment. Would she want to know if she was in Cyrene's position?

Gabrielle, resigned

GABRIELLE

It is a recent thing. I sent her to a brothel in Athens to find out – with a woman.

CYRENE

You did not! You did?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

And? You are going to have to be more specific.

Gabrielle, avoiding her eyes

GABRIELLE

She enjoyed it but it was not quite what she expected.

Cyrene, practically

CYRENE

She expected Zeus on Olympus and she got his altar in Amphipolis. Welcome to real life.

GABRIELLE

Actually, Aphrodite in flesh.

CYRENE

No!

GABRIELLE

Athena arranged it.

CYRENE

Gabrielle, you speak of Gods on first name basis.

GABRIELLE

I am in relationship with Athena.

CYRENE

So you …

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

And …

GABRIELLE

Xena discovered that new side to herself since she met me.

CYRENE

Your life is complicated.

GABRIELLE

True.

CYRENE

Now, are you going to take your medicine?

GABRIELLE

Yes, mom.

Gabrielle selects few herbs then makes the mistake of looking at Cyrene. She gives a small smile of apology and then replaces one. Cyrene hands her a cup of hot water and Gabrielle mixes them in. She downs the cup quickly and hands it back to Cyrene. Right away her eyes start to close and she drifts off almost immediately. Cyrene tucks Gabrielle in and brushes hair from her face.

CYRENE

You give so freely and you ask nothing in return. I now have two daughters.

The door opens and Lila comes in, traces of cake on her face. She makes her way to bed then glances questioningly at Cyrene.

CYRENE

She took some herbs that made her sleep.

Cyrene takes a corner of her apron and cleans Lila's face. Lila smiles shyly and then to Cyrene's surprise she crawls into bed with Gabrielle and snuggles tightly.

Lila, happily

LILA

Ma.

She is out in seconds.

Cyrene, clucking her tongue

CYRENE

Thirteen year old girl, almost a woman and she sleeps with her mother. None of that nonsense when Gabrielle leaves.

She tucks a spare blanket around Lila.

Cyrene, sadly

CYRENE

Ain't right for children to be raising each other. I have half a mind to head to Potidaea right now.

She is almost to the door when she turns and takes one last look at the sleeping pair.

Cyrene, softly and wonderingly

CYRENE

Of all the people in Greece, my Xena found one person who could love her.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – EARLY MORNING

Gabrielle wakes up groggily. Lila, whose presence she felt even thru the drugs, is gone. Sunlight caresses her thru the window and something damp and warm is moving on her forehead. She opens her eyes to see Toris's face floating over hers and his hand mopping her with a rag.

GABRIELLE

Hello Toris. What are you doing?

TORIS

Wiping your brow. Don't worry, I warmed the water first.

GABRIELLE

Why?

TORIS

The healers I watched frequently ask helpers to do this.

GABRIELLE

The work is not the point; the point is to distract the helper while they comfort the patient.

TORIS

I am definitely distracted.

GABRIELLE

I don't have a fever.

TORIS

You will if you keep looking at me.

GABRIELLE

I am in a relationship.

TORIS

You finally admit it.

GABRIELLE

I have a daughter.

Toris, beaming

TORIS

The first of many.

GABRIELLE

You are a lost cause. Wipe away. Throw in scalp massage while you are at it.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – MORNING

The healer finishes his tasks and watches with interest as Gabrielle prepares some kind of thick ointment in quantity.

GABRIELLE

Since I am doing it, let's do it right. This ointment speeds the healing by drawing blood to the skin.

Acacius, curious

ACACIUS

What's in it?

GABRIELLE

Witch hazel and few other things. Let me get my tunic off and you massage it in.

ACACIUS

I will have my own bruises if Cyrene catches me with my hands on you like that. I will let her know on my way out.

GABRIELLE

Pass me my belt.

She takes a piece of parchment and scribes the instructions on it. She hands the finished recipe to Acacius.

GABRIELLE

I am wintering in town. Amphipolis will have another healer and midwife.

ACACIUS

You are too modest. I learned the trade from my father, who learned it from his. I can barely tell a fraction of the herbs you carry and the instruments are foreign to me. I do what I can and pray to Apollo and Asclepius for the rest. Will you take me as an apprentice?

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles was my father. He passed his knowledge and skill over the course of years, hoping to train me to be a healer. His hope died with him but his legacy lives in me. I accept you.

ACACIUS

I'm sorry for your loss. I am humbled to honor the memory of your father by learning from you. I will summon Cyrene, teacher.

He bows and leaves.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – MORNING

Cyrene enters with food which she sets down on the small table. Gabrielle takes off her tunic and hands her the bowl with ointment. She sits up with a wince.

GABRIELLE

Busy morning. Toris is planning several children, Acacius is planning a school, and Lila is planning … something. How was yours?

Cyrene starts massaging in the ointment, tenderly and with care.

CYRENE

I saw the bruises on Lila …

GABRIELLE

I used to take her share. With me gone, she took the full brunt.

CYRENE

I am surprised you did not do more. You being …

Gabrielle, interrupting

GABRIELLE

Stop. I was capable of hurting him since I was seven. I could have killed him when I was eight. It is not in me.

CYRENE

I understand.

Gabrielle, sharply

GABRIELLE

No, you don't. I don't respond to hate in kind. Herodotus is my father and I love him. Whatever wickedness grips his heart and drives him to hurt others is something he will answer for in the end. Don't you realize, the reason Xena and I get along is because I see and know the worst in her and it matters not. It is not mine to judge her. I see the best in people and let them choose to live up to it or pander to evil. Xena says I have unconditional love.

CYRENE

What if that fails?

GABRIELLE

Then I hit. And I hit hard.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Look, I am not perfect. When I saw Lila again for the first time, I was angry. If Herodotus walked out at that moment I am not sure what would have happened. I think I would have stopped. Eventually.

Cyrene, softly

CYRENE

You don't care what others inflict on you, you give as good as you get. They so much as touch a single hair on an innocent and you make them scream in regret.

GABRIELLE

Speaking of innocents, what do you think of Lila?

CYRENE

She is a shy and polite girl, does what she is told. Good worker but she needs to get her strength up. She knows her way around the kitchen.

Gabrielle, wistfully

GABRIELLE

Typical Potidaea woman.

CYRENE

Mothers are blind, I should know. That is not the real Lila.

GABRIELLE

What?!

CYRENE

Gabrielle, she is your daughter. Literally. Lila is an artist and a dreamer.

Cyrene hands her a scroll, one of Gabrielle's. It is blank or at least it was. Now it has a picture of Gabrielle drawn in ink, captured in a moment when they reunited recently. Every nuance of Gabrielle's expression and the posture of her body are captured in perfect detail, frozen in time for eternity. You can see and feel the love she shows for someone near her.

Cyrene, apologetically

CYRENE

Old habit, I'm afraid. I checked Xena room daily; evidence of crime and future plans for one. This morning I passed by the empty room after Lila left for breakfast and found this.

Tears well up in her eyes and Gabrielle has to hold the scroll out lest she splashes it. She traces the ink with her fingers, overcome with emotion.

CYRENE

There were others, illustrations from your adventures as imagined by her. I have to say Xena's are not very flattering; downright disturbing some of them. She does not share your forgiving nature apparently.

Gabrielle, smiling tearily

GABRIELLE

She found a way to keep me alive in her memory. Sorry, Lila believes that Xena is responsible for her abandonment.

CYRENE

Don't correct that impression.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

I have to tell her.

Cyrene thinks it over.

Cyrene, resigned

CYRENE

Yes you do. It will hurt her, you know.

GABRIELLE

Xena is an important part of my life and my daughter's. Lila deserves the truth.

Short silence falls.

CYRENE

Now, about that son of mine and his wagon load of children …

Gabrielle, covering her eyes

GABRIELLE

I think it is time for drastic measures.

CYRENE

This I have to see.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN ROOM – AFTERNOON

Lila sits on the chair by the bed, absorbing what she was told. She knew this was serious the moment her mother asked her to sit like that. On the other hand she is proud to be treated as an adult. Still, every fiber of her being wants to crawl into bed and curl next to her mother. She does not notice the door open and Cyrene stop just as she enters it. Gabrielle gives Cyrene permission to stay with her eyes.

Gabrielle, confessing, sincerely

GABRIELLE

After Thermopylae I realized one day I will not walk off the field. Not with the life we lead.

Lila, plaintively

LILA

You promised. Who is more important to you: me or Xena?

Gabrielle, without hesitation

GABRIELLE

You are. However, Xena comes first.

Lila, pleadingly

LILA

Let's stay here, together with her.

GABRIELLE

I have a feeling she would like that, to put down the sword and settle. Live out the rest of her life with us here peacefully.

Lila, realizing the truth, crestfallen

LILA

You won't stay and she will follow you to the ends of the earth and beyond.

Gabrielle throws the covers off and gets up gingerly. She opens her embrace and Lila falls into her arms, squeezing her fiercely. Gabrielle does not mind. She strokes Lila's hair in a soothing and familiar motion.

GABRIELLE

In life, there are things bigger than self. I was given the gift for reason, I met Xena for a reason and I am out there for a reason. I did not choose Xena over you - I serve the greater good. Lila love, you are always with me. It is what gives me the strength to raise the sword one more time, to fight just a bit harder, to refuse to close my eyes to death for a moment longer. You are my hope. Mother is creating a better world for you, beloved daughter. Let me go.

They hold for long moments, all three crying. Then Lila removes her wet face from the Gabrielle's tunic.

Lila, her heart breaking

LILA

I love you. Go.

Cyrene puts her hand over her mouth. Gabrielle gently guides Lila as she sits on the edge of the bed and Lila nests on her. Gabrielle takes out a brush and starts brushing Lila's hair, humming a melody. She looks at Cyrene and wordlessly thanks her. Cyrene nods gratefully and withdraws silently.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page