Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“ Lyceus and the Great Caper”

Episode 24

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – RIVER – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/LATE AFTERNOON

It is a perfect day for doing nothing; cloudless sky, hot sun, and endless supply of water. Seven year old Xena is splashing in the river, dressed only in her underwraps. Lyceus is on shore, drawing something in the sand. He bends his head in great concentration, focused on the task.

Xena is unhappy with his absence in the water. She wades to the shore and glares at the dirt.

Xena, pointing at the symbols on the ground, impatiently

XENA

What's that?

LYCEUS

Letter alpha.

Xena, her attention captured, intrigued

XENA

School?

LYCEUS

Yes.

Xena, not willing to concede anything to her younger brother, eagerly

XENA

Show me.

Lyceus, slowly and carefully shaping the letter

LYCEUS

You draw it like this.

Xena is riveted to the shapes that form before her eyes and open a new world.

Lyceus demonstrates a few times and gives her the stick. Xena catches on quickly and forgets about swimming in her excitement.

Xena, enthusiastically

XENA

Show me more.

LYCEUS

We did two letters today, alpha and beta. The teacher read few short stories from the scrolls and showed us how to write in the wet sand.

Lyceus notices Xena's changing expression and the sudden twinkle in her eyes.

Lyceus, knowing his sister well, suspiciously

LYCEUS

What?

XENA

I am going to school.

Lyceus, frowning

LYCEUS

Girls are not allowed.

Xena, smiling mischievously

XENA

That's what they think.

Her smile lengthens as she turns on Lyceus and waves the stick in his direction threateningly. He nervously looks around for a weapon and seeing none, makes a run for the river. He makes it in few steps but not before receiving one stinging hit on his rear. Once in water, Xena abandons finesse and goes brute force, tackling him. They both go under and emerge coughing and spitting water seconds later. Fearlessly, Lyceus attacks her, trying to wrestle her down. Xena lets him and they go down again. School is over, fun is in.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – SCHOOL – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/NIGHT

Small, wooden one-room building comprises the entirety of the education system in Amphipolis. The shutters are closed and barred with wooden boards on the inside.

Xena, with Lyceus in tow, swiftly moves to the first shutter. She considers the problem for a while, then taking the knife out, works it in the split between the halves. Lifting it up, she hears something fall and land with a clunk on the other side. Bar gone, she opens the shutter and helps Lyceus inside. Xena follows after brother.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – SCHOOL – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/NIGHT

The walls are covered with shelves. Each student has a small table and chair, lined in rows. On individual tabletops sit handless baskets with sand inside. At the head of the room is a larger table, loaded with various scrolls and parchment.

Xena closes the shutters while Lyceus lights a lamp. He points to the east and west walls above the scrolls; the entire Greek and Latin alphabets, in order, are painted on the surface, each on respective side. He sets the lamp down on the table and takes out another one, lighting it from the first one. He moves to the wall as Xena takes a seat at the table and prepares ink and parchment.

LYCEUS

Greek alphabet first.

Xena nods confirmation. As he stands on his toes and brings the light close to each letter, she copies it down on the scroll. Times passes.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/NIGHT

The TOWN MILITIA leave the inn and head for their homes. They look disheveled and bruised and are not in a good mood. Thus passes another busy night of trying to keep the town drunks and Cortese's men from beating each other senseless.

One of the men elbows another and points at the schoolhouse. Lights flicker inside where only darkness should reign. They look at each other and sigh, then turn their steps toward the building. Others notice their behavior and then the illegal activity and the entire armed and armored TOWN MILITIA advances on the intruders.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/NIGHT

Xena is crying before her mother and trying to ignore the pain of her punishment. Cyrene is angrily pacing the kitchen. Spanking Xena did not relieve her stress, only made her hand hurt. She massages and flexes it gingerly as she stalks the floor. Abruptly, she stops and faces Xena.

Cyrene, exasperated

CYRENE

Why did you attempt to burn down the school?

Xena, tearfully yet defiantly

XENA

Didn't.

CYRENE

They told me the town watch heard a crash and they caught you and Lyceus trying to escape, with the room on fire. Do you understand what you done?

She looks for any sign of comprehension or remorse in her daughter but finds only watery, red eyes and sullen and closed off Xena.

Cyrene, sternly

CYRENE

The vandalism and petty theft was one thing. Some fruit and clothes stolen, practical jokes played on others, nothing most of us didn't do in our youth. I can live with that. But you are starting to fight older boys and train with weapons. Don't think I don't know. Nereus told me some blades went missing from his smithy, wonder why he thinks you took them. Give me your knife.

Cyrene extends her hand and Xena stalls, thinking to play dumb. The look her mother gives her convinces her that stonewalling is not a good idea right now. She reaches and removes the steel, handing it handle first to Cyrene.

Cyrene, inspecting the blade, her face falling when she recognizes the marks

CYRENE

What is wrong with you, child?!

Xena, petulantly

XENA

You won't buy me weapons.

Cyrene sighs and anger leaves her, leaving her weary and spent. She hugs the startled Xena and after a moment of resistance, the girl returns it. Xena sniffles as Cyrene gently comforts her.

CYRENE

Tomorrow morning we will go to the blacksmith and pay for what you took. You and Lyceus will get wooden training swords and I will arrange for you to attend training with the militia. Perhaps martial discipline will do you good, knock some sense into you.

Xena, her fondest wish granted, gratefully

XENA

Thanks, ma.

Cyrene releases her and taking a handkerchief, gently wipes the tears from Xena's face. She moves the hair out of Xena's face and kisses her on the head.

CYRENE

I nearly lost you and Lyceus two years ago. Today you both almost died in a fire. I love you and I love Lyceus. You are so close that when one of you is in trouble, the other one is too. Xena, please listen to me. You want something, talk to me first. You can tell me anything, ask me whatever you like. I might not give you the answer or an item you want, but I promise to listen. Xena, mother loves you.

Xena, with remorse, sincerely

XENA

I'm sorry.

Cyrene smiles and goes to get a sweet from a high shelf. She hands it to Xena, missing the sudden look of interest behind her back as the location of the treasure is revealed inadvertently. She brings it back and eager hands grab and shove the treat into the impatient mouth. Xena practically hums with happiness.

Cyrene ruffles her hair affectionately and points at a chair. They both sit at a table, Xena shifting around to find the least painful position. Cyrene, softly

CYRENE

What happened tonight?

Xena, confessing

XENA

I heard the militia coming and knocked the table with the lamp over in my haste. I grabbed Lyceus and we tried to leave before the flames got too big but the men captured us.

Cyrene, gently

CYRENE

Why were you there?

Xena, looking down

XENA

To copy the letters so I could spy on the class during the day.

Cyrene, this being the last thing she expected, astonished

CYRENE

You want to learn reading, writing, and arithmetic?

XENA

The bards come to the tavern and tell stories of adventure and treasure. I want that.

CYRENE

You want to be a storyteller?

XENA

No, I want to be in the tales.

Cyrene, understanding dawning

CYRENE

You want to be a hero.

Xena, shyly

XENA

Yes.

Cyrene, curious

CYRENE

You don't want to marry and raise a family?

Xena, sadly

XENA

I am not like other girls.

Cyrene, warmly

CYRENE

You are a very special young woman and if you want to be the hero, then you will be one. I believe in you.

Huge smile is her answer.

Cyrene, throwing in a moral lesson, doing her motherly duty

CYRENE

Course heroes are honorable and virtuous.

XENA

Mother!

Pause.

Xena, chastised

XENA

I will be good.

The sweets on the high shelf beg to disagree with that statement.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – LYCEUS' ROOM – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/NIGHT

The small, sparsely furnished room off the service hallway could pass for anyone's except for few wooden toys scattered about. On the side of the large bed, precariously close to falling off, lies Lyceus. He is buried under sheets and blankets.

Xena enters the room silently and taking off her boots, she gets under the covers. The slight motion and hogging of linens disturb her brother. Lyceus wakes up and shifts to his back. He turns his head towards her and blinks his eyes.

Lyceus, sleepily

LYCEUS

Mother mad?

Xena, confirming

XENA

Uh-huh, she hit hard. Did you get punished?

Lyceus, wriggling a bit, adjusting a sore bottom, unhappily

LYCEUS

It hurt and I cried.

Pause.

Lyceus, not wanting his sister to feel guilty, adding hastily

LYCEUS

It's okay.

Xena, understanding, offering support and good news, grinning

XENA

I know where the candy is.

Lyceus, very interested, excitedly

LYCEUS

Where?!

XENA

I have a plan.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/MORNING

Cyrene is a flurry of activity, attending to several things and still managing to stop and drop a bit of this and that on Xena's plate. The girl appreciatively devours whatever morsel is placed in front of her.

Cyrene, suspiciously

CYRENE

Where is Lyceus?

Xena, innocently

XENA

Why?

Cyrene, now knowing that something is up, coming over to Xena

CYRENE

You two are thick as thieves. Start talking, daughter of mine.

Xena, nervously

XENA

… I want to help in the main room.

Two eyes drill into her, stripping away her confidence and judging sincerity. Xena is uncomfortable under the scrutinizing gaze but holds her own. Finally, Cyrene seems satisfied, for the moment.

Cyrene, harrumphing

CYRENE

I know you are up to something, Xena of Amphipolis and when I find out, last night will be a pleasant memory in comparison.

Xena visibly swallows and it is not food related.

Cyrene, relenting

CYRENE

This is the first time you volunteered to do something on your own instead of having me browbeat you into it. Toris is lazy and rather hang out with that friend of his than do chores. I will take what I can get.

Cyrene comes over, hugs her and kisses her head.

Cyrene, affectionately

CYRENE

Regardless of your motives, I am proud of you.

Xena is starting to feel bad about her intentions and few tears escape her guilty conscience. Cyrene wipes them off and mistakes the reason. She pulls up a chair next to Xena and the girl shifts to face her. Cyrene tenderly brushes the wild hair out of Xena's face and smiles at her.

Cyrene, honestly

CYRENE

It was hard when your father left but I had no time to worry about things. There was a business to run and you three to take care of. I had to learn to read and write because people would cheat me on supplies and payment. There are those that take advantage of a struggling, lone woman with children and sleep well at night for it. Look you in the face and smile while they stole from you. Yet I do not blame Atrius. Your father is a good man and I love him. I always will. I believe he will return one day and I will wait for him.

Cyrene starts to cry and Xena comes over to sit on her lap; she holds her mother tightly.

CYRENE

I am sorry I can't be there for you. I try and try and there is always something. I treasure every moment we spend together and wish there were more. There are not enough and not ever will be. So when you ask to be close to me and share my day, it hurts my heart but in a good way. I love you Xena.

Xena, guilelessly and warmly

XENA

I love you ma.

Cyrene, teasing

CYRENE

You want to learn cooking?

Xena, pulling back, horrified

XENA

NO!!!

Cyrene, chuckling

CYRENE

Thought so. Lyceus up for the job?

Xena, unsure

XENA

He is a boy …

Cyrene, grinning

CYRENE

I could teach Toris.

XENA

You have better luck with one of the stable horses.

Cyrene, laughing

CYRENE

True.

Pause.

Cyrene, convincingly

CYRENE

You could run the inn in the future, work together. You are inseparable anyway. One day, if you want it, the place will be yours - easier life than scratching in the dirt. Remember, heroes need to eat and rest somewhere. And if you desire to go and save the world, there will be a job and home waiting for you back here. You can have your dream.

Xena, caught up in possibilities, dreamily

XENA

That would be nice.

Pause.

Xena, spotting a potential problem, firmly

XENA

I won't leave Lyceus.

Cyrene, mysteriously

CYRENE

I am counting on it.

Before Xena can make sense of the comment, Lyceus bursts from the outside.

Lyceus, blurting

LYCEUS

You said to wait but …

He takes in the scene and realizes he probably should have been more patient.

Xena gets up from Cyrene's lap and stands up.

Cyrene, pressing her advantage, enjoying this

CYRENE

Lyceus, you start in the kitchen after lunch. I have some pots and pans that would like to meet you.

Lyceus shoots a panicked look at Xena. He implores her help and she just shrugs. Defeated, he slumps his shoulders.

Lyceus, dispirited

LYCEUS

Yes mother.

Xena, giggling

XENA

You cook, I serve.

The look that he gives her is not friendly and full of dark promises. Cyrene is pleased at having turned whatever plans they had to her advantage. So she thinks.

Cyrene, happily

CYRENE

Xena, you are responsible for collecting dirty dishes and bringing them back, restocking clean mugs and pitchers in the bar, assisting servers and me. You work afternoons, same as your brother.

Cyrene, to both

CYRENE

Wash up and get ready, we are going to the market today.

The children file out mutely to the service hallway.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN HALLWAY – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/MORNING

Xena and Lyceus silently walk to her room and stop. Uncomfortable quiet stretches between them. Breaking it, Lyceus heads for his door, words floating over his shoulder.

Lyceus, whispering harshly

LYCEUS

I hate your plans.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – VILLAGE – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/DAWN

Not far from the main square, behind the temple, in a grassy field bordered by piles of war tools, a small group of YOUNG BOYS stands in front of an INSTRUCTOR. Lyceus is among them as is Xena. This is their first day of instruction and this is the way they will spend their mornings before Lyceus heads to school.

INSTRUCTOR, pacing, strongly

INSTRUCTOR

There are no old, brave, smart, courageous, skilled, great, bad, or any adjective you wish to append in front soldiers. There are only two kinds: living and dead. If someone wants to fight you, walk away. If the odds are against you, walk away. If you are losing, retreat. If you are wounded, disengage. But if you are going down, take them with you. If you do those things, you will survive.

The INSTRUCTOR gathers them all with his gaze, taking in their measure. Only Xena levelly meets his eyes.

INSTRUCTOR, emphasizing, loudly

INSTRUCTOR

There are things worth fighting and dying for: this village, dear friends, family, loved ones. Cortese picked truce with us for a reason, while he pillages others around us. What is worthless is throwing your life away on empty causes, be it in name of leader, cause, or belief. Heroes are as common as their graves, less so. Don't be one.

INSTRUCTOR, locking eyes with Xena

INSTRUCTOR

I am Phokas and six years ago I made the smartest decision since lifting a sword; I retired. Training the militia and service in it kept Amphipolis safe to this day. One day, the obligation will pass to you. I am here to prepare you for that occasion.

Phokas sweeps the YOUNG BOYS with a fierce stare and then fixes back on Xena.

Phokas, pointing at Xena, ordering

PHOKAS

You, wolf girl, step forward. Attack me!

Xena, seeking to impress her brother and the watching YOUNG BOYS, accepts the challenge readily. She charges the soldier and tries to grapple him, only to be tossed on the ground with ease.

Phokas, mocking

PHOKAS

Are you brave only when the opponents are weaker than you, Xena? Beating on defenseless boys, some hero you are.

Xena starts swinging wildly and Phokas either blocks or avoids her punches.

Phokas, baiting

PHOKAS

Not so easy when the victim can defend itself, is it hero?

Xena, angrily

XENA

Stop calling me that!

She kicks him in the groin but he nimbly dodges it.

Phokas, pushing her, taunting

PHOKAS

Should we let your brother fight your battles? You don't seem capable.

Xena roars and lands a hard gut punch but Phokas seems unfazed. His leather armor and training absorb the impact.

PHOKAS

That's your best shot? I think you need proper motivation.

Phokas, turning his head towards Lyceus, smiling

PHOKAS

You are pathetic. I am going to hurt Lyceus and you can't stop me.

Something snaps in Xena. Enraged and screaming she comes after Phokas, who calmly awaits her. He drives her momentum into the dirt, slamming her into the thinning grass and hard earth. Air escapes her lungs and a knee presses into her back. Her arm is twisted back and another knee pins her other shoulder. Phokas full weight is on her and there is nothing she can do. Xena is helpless and in pain, lungs burning for air and the chest hurting from impact. The fight drains from her, leaving her empty. Xena stops struggling and starts crying.

Phokas lifts his head at a motion to his side and Lyceus slams into him. The small boy is no match for the size and skill of the old soldier but he is giving it his best. To his surprise, Phokas releases Xena and rolls on his back. He raises his hands and speaks.

PHOKAS

I surrender.

Astonished gasps emerge from Lyceus and the YOUNG BOYS. Xena stares uncomprehendingly at him thru the tears.

Phokas stands up and gives Xena a helping hand. He motions Xena and Lyceus back to the group and they rejoin it, subdued.

Phokas, facing his students, firmly and with authority

PHOKAS

Learn and remember the lessons from our little demonstration.

Pause.

Phokas, informationally and calmly

PHOKAS

Words cut deep with sharpness. Unfocused power and rage, regardless of degree, are futile. To strike without a purpose is to consign to defeat. And most important, have someone you trust watch your back. The dirt is full of lonely, dead heroes.

Bedraggled Xena stares at Phokas. The earlier indifference and arrogance is replaced by a look of open admiration.

Phokas walks over and does a fancy pick up of a staff with his foot. He returns to the front of the class.

Phokas, demonstrating

PHOKAS

We start with staves. Simple length of wood, gripped over and under, it has reach and versatility. Weak points are your exposed knuckles and facing multiple opponents. Your foes will attempt to take it away from you and often they will succeed. Then they will beat you with your own stick. Don't let that happen, stay in motion and press the attack.

He gives a few second for his words to sink in.

PHOKAS

Take one and pair up.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – SCHOOL – 18 YEARS AGO/EARLY SUMMER/MIDMORNING

The BOYS and Lyceus enter the building. Various voices and shuffling of chairs drift thru the open windows until an older, male voice cuts thru the chatter.

TEACHER

We will practice the first two letters, alpha and beta and then I will show you the next three: gamma, delta, and epsilon. Wet the sand before you start.

Xena sneaks in towards the school, taking care to avoid being seen. She selects a large bush and enters it. Secure in her hiding spot, she takes out her partial scroll of Greek alphabet and begins to follow the lesson. She has a stick in hand and she is sitting on plenty of dirt. She has all she needs.

Xena, proudly

XENA

I win.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – XENA'S ROOM – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/EVENING

Xena and Lyceus are sewing together blankets, forming the beginning of a giant sleeve. They sit on the floor, spare blankets and gut strewn around them.

Lyceus, intently concentrating on not attaching himself by accident, questioning

LYCEUS

Why am I sewing? First the cooking, now this; you are turning me into a wife.

Xena, smugly

XENA

Washing laundry is next, then the fitting of dresses.

Lyceus, indignantly

LYCEUS

Xena!

Xena, ameliorating the situation, pacifying her brother

XENA

I'm sorry, I was joking and you did great. Mother does not leave the kitchen during the day, not for long anyway, according to you. We need to distract her.

Lyceus, forgiving her at once, all ears and excitement

LYCEUS

Plan?

XENA

You know how mother smokes the meat with wet wood? This is a chimney for the fire. When everyone is busy upstairs we strike downstairs and you are free.

Lyceus, confessing shyly

LYCEUS

Xena, I don't mind working there but Toris told Timoteus and now they tease me.

Xena, upset

XENA

Toris will pay.

LYCEUS

Don't hurt him.

Xena, promising

XENA

I won't. Much.

Pause.

Xena, kindly

XENA

You really enjoy it?

Lyceus, grinning

LYCEUS

I like eating. Mother lets me sample and sneaks choice pieces on my plate. We call it my “payment dish”. Every time I am not looking or busy, she puts another bit of something or other in it. It is a game we play. Mother tries to do it without me seeing and I try to eat it as soon as it appears. We have fun.

Xena, feeling remorse, guiltily

XENA

I miss our time together in the afternoons but I don't want to take you away from her. If we do this she won't be happy and she might kick you out.

Lyceus, rascally

LYCEUS

I will blame you and she will believe me.

XENA

Oh, is that how it is?

Lyceus, mood souring, sadly

LYCEUS

Mother laughs when we are together. It has been a long time since she laughed so much. It makes me happy.

XENA

You want to stop?

Lyceus, love and loyalty to Xena winning over any concerns, deciding

LYCEUS

… No.

Pause.

Lyceus, lightly

LYCEUS

I know who I want to be when I grow up.

XENA

Yes?

Lyceus, holding pause dramatically and building suspense, then proudly

LYCEUS

… Lyceus of Amphipolis, warrior cook.

They explode in fits of laughter.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN SERVICE HALLWAY – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/DAWN

Xena leans against the wall near her older brother's door. When it opens, she slams him into the wall and gut punches him. Toris' legs give out and he falls in a heap on the floor, curling and cowering.

Xena, meaning it, sternly and strongly

XENA

You and your friend keep away from Lyceus. Got that?

Toris weakly nods agreement.

Satisfied, Xena heads towards Lyceus' room to get him up for breakfast. Toris glares at her as she disappears inside without knocking.

Toris, angry at the humiliation, hating his younger sister, cursing her

TORIS

Freak.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – STABLES – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/EARLY MORNING

Xena is busy mucking the stalls and looking like it. She goes over to the back and drags a hay bale over, breaking it open when close. Picking up the pitchfork, Xena starts spreading fresh straw in the stalls. She hears one of the twin doors swing open and recognizing the footsteps, she chooses to bend her back to work and ignore the visitor.

Cyrene, evenly

CYRENE

You hurt your brother, you do his chores. Understand?

XENA

Yes mother.

CYRENE

Why did you hit him? He is your brother and he loves you; Xena, don't you ever raise your hand in anger against your family. I raised you better than that.

Xena, smartass, sarcastically

XENA

Yes mother. You sure don't.

Cyrene, barely keeping lid on her temper, irritated

CYRENE

Don't you “yes mother” me child and watch that lip. Why Xena?

Xena, knowing lecture is inevitable, reluctantly

XENA

Mother, Toris hates me.

Cyrene, putting her hand to her mouth, shocked

CYRENE

Xena, Toris is your blood and you don't choose that.

Xena stops working and puts her down, tears starting to leak.

Cyrene reaches her daughter in few steps and gathers Xena in her arms, ignoring the muck. Mother's love cares not for appearance or dirt.

Cyrene, comforting, soothingly

CYRENE

You are always with Lyceus, the two of you against the world. Toris has no place with either of you and he knows it. And you know why?

Xena, sniffling

XENA

No.

Cyrene, explaining the way of the world, sorrowfully

CYRENE

When two people form a bond, there is no room for the third one. You are blameless – it is the way of life, a pair stands strongest in nature. He feels useless, like he is the third wheel in a cart.

Xena tries to imagine where the extra wheel would go on a cart that is doing fine with two and a giggle escapes her. Then she hears the echo of pain in her mother's voice and hot tears splash on her head.

Xena, apologetically, sincerely

XENA

I'm sorry. It‘s father, isn't it?

Cyrene, tries to gather herself, but the flood gates are open and she sobs her sorrow. Xena hugs her, willing comfort and repeating the mantra over and over.

Xena, pleading for forgiveness, thinking she did something wrong, bawling

XENA

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry …

Cyrene, kissing Xena and then wiping the tears

CYRENE

Shh, hush child. A word or image will remind me of your father and I start crying because I love him so much. Love is great joy and happiness but it is also pain. It gives you strength and it makes you weak. We adults are funny that way.

Xena calms down and looks up at the face of her mother. Grubby hand reaches up and shyly and tenderly wipes the moisture, leaving streaks of dirt. Cyrene does not object nor minds for she feels closer to her daughter than ever.

Cyrene, affectionately

CYRENE

I love you. I love Lyceus. I love Toris. We are family and part of being one is accepting and loving unconditionally. How Toris feels about you is his problem. You should care for and love your older brother because that makes you a good person and it is the right thing to do. Xena, hate destroys, love grows and heals.

Xena, subdued, instinctively perceiving the truth in her mother's words, promising

XENA

I will love Toris no matter what.

Cyrene, affectionately

CYRENE

Xena, the biggest part of that overgrown body of yours is your heart. Don't lose sight of that.

Xena, earnestly and with genuine feeling

XENA

Thank you. I love you ma.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

A VILLAGER rushes out of the inn's front door, wisps of smoke trailing behind him. Above him, more pours from the second story windows.

VILLAGER, yelling at the top of his lungs

VILLAGER

Fire! FIRE! FIRE!!!

Answering calls sound throughout the entire village and help is on the way.

VILLAGERS, raising alarm

VILLAGERS

Fire!

Fire at the inn!

Get the buckets!

Water brigade quickly forms as VILLAGE WOMEN come dragging empty buckets to the well and the VILLAGE MEN and OLDER BOYS form a line to the inn and inside. Phokas runs by the forming, volunteer fire fighters and goes in. He is followed shortly by Nereus. Some quick thinking VILLAGERS fill the buckets from the water troughs by the stables and the inn.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Short ladder is set against the wall with the treasure on the shelf. The jar is sitting on the table and two very giddy children are about to open it. Xena and Lyceus lift the lid and gaze at their hard won prize.

Xena, licking her lips, hungrily

XENA

Sweet is victory.

Lyceus, slightly disappointed by the quantity, sighing

LYCEUS

So much work for so little candy.

Pause.

Lyceus, accusingly

LYCEUS

No fair. You carry food and fetch dinnerware. I have to slave in the hot kitchen for hours. Cooking! I am a boy!

Wordlessly, Xena points to the stacked pies and cakes. Lyceus raises his eyebrow in question and Xena nods. His face breaks into a big smile. This is turning out just fine.

Xena upends the jar and two equal piles are quickly sorted. Abruptly, with a smile, Xena adds to her brother's pile from her own and the look of appreciation and love makes the sacrifice worth it. Accompanied by many happy sounds, the children begin to devour the candy with great haste.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – TAVERN – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Nereus bursts thru the door, in time to see few GUESTS stagger down the stairs, coughing and wheezing. He sees Phokas already here and Cyrene next to him. He joins them and offers his services.

Nereus, to Cyrene, urgently yet reasonably

NEREUS

I and Phokas are the strongest here, let us go and check the rooms; see where the fire is and get anyone trapped out.

Cyrene nods and heads to the bar. She comes back with two large, water soaked rags and hands one to each men. They place them over their heads and bring the ends over to cover their lower faces. They move up the stairs and the smoke swallows them.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN UPSTAIRS – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Nereus is halfway thru the upper floor when he notices the smoke is coming thru the open window at the end of the hallway. Curious, he makes his way to the dark opening. He reaches out and his fingers grasp … fabric?

Nereus, confused

NEREUS

What the …?!

His grabs a handful of the material and pulls with his massive right arm. There is a loud rip and bright light assaults him. He shields his eyes and after few moments of blinking his vision is restored. As fresh air rushes in, his head clears quickly. He sticks it out the windows and looks around. Above him hang the remains of the cloth chimney. Below him, smoky fire consumes the moist offerings and profusely belches thick results. He beckons Phokas, who just emerged from a room, over to him and points out the cause of the chaos.

Phokas, shaking his head, guessing the who but not the why

PHOKAS

Tell them. I will finish checking the rooms.

Nereus turns and runs down the hallway and then thumps down the wooden stairs.

Phokas, turning to finish his task, mumbling

PHOKAS

Spawn of Hades, that child.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – TAVERN – 18 YRS AGO/SUMMER/LATE AFTERNOON

Startled and worried faces greet Nereus when he arrives. He catches his breath and spills the news.

Nereus, between breaths, coughing

NEREUS

Fire is outside … behind the inn, on the ground … more smoke, than flame … someone built a blanket chimney … have to put it out before inn catches fire.

He bends down and places his hands on his knees. He tries to get more air into his large frame but his lungs are not cooperating.

Cyrene, sudden realization striking her, squeezing out the name through gritted teeth

CYRENE

Xena.

Pause.

Cyrene, screaming, voice promising vengeance and Tartarus

CYRENE

XENAAAAAAAAAA!!!

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – 18 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/LATE AFTERNOON

Xena and Lyceus are gazing at the broad selection of delectable cakes and pies, all theirs for the taking. The roar of their enraged mother stampedes thru the entire inn.

Lyceus, eyes darting to the source of the sound, worriedly

LYCEUS

We're in trouble. Stay or run?

Xena, shrugging, accepting their inevitable death at the hands of her mother

XENA

Eat. She knows we did it.

She takes the yummiest, a chocolate cake and brings it to the table. She tears off a huge piece with her hand and hands it to Lyceus, and then helps herself to an equally generous portion. Before taking a single bite, she remembers something and imitates the adults.

Xena, toasting with a piece of cake, grinning

XENA

Here is to us.

Lyceus, smiling

LYCEUS

To us.

They each bite off a generous amount and it is total bliss, reflected on their faces and in their eyes.

Lyceus, melting, dreamily

LYCEUS

So worth it.

Pause.

Lyceus, offering his own salutation

LYCEUS

Here is to crime and chocolate.

Xena, cheerfully

XENA

And the best laid plans.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page