Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Our Home”

Episode 28

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – VILLAGE OUTSKIRTS – NIGHT

The village sleeps, having settled in for the night. Xena leads Argo, who is restless and uneasy. She smells the death on her back, the body swaying with her motion. Behind the horse, hand in hand, walk Gabrielle and Athena.

The VILLAGE WATCH lets them pass with hardly a glance, being well aware of Xena's impending return, but kept in the dark, literally, about the late hour and the need for secrecy. Then again, knowing the two heroines, there is always a good reason. In due time all be explained and they have months of tales to look forward to.

The weary travelers pass the silent houses with their black windows, the stores and workshops, arriving at the village square. Temple and stable form the sides and the inn ends the road. There are torches alight at the main door and couple lamps burn inside. Xena is halfway thru the square when the door opens and the Cyrene comes out.

Xena stops Argo and carefully removes the wrapped body. Gabrielle and Athena approach and look at each other. Athena nods and Gabrielle moves forward and helps Xena with her burden. Xena gives Gabrielle a grateful look and together they carry Atrius to his beloved. Her father is home at last.

Cyrene is happy to see all three. Tempering that joy is the unease due to the circumstances of her daughter's last visit and the words that were spoken. There is also a small trickle of worry, given Gabrielle's strange request that she meet them alone in front of the inn; in the middle of the night. Seeing them remove and carry what is obviously a body chills her. Anxiety gnaws at her and the fear grows with each step that brings them closer. Who is in the bundle?

Then her daughters are close and with one glance at their eyes, she knows. Gabrielle is open and easy to read. The surprise is Xena, matching her. The look of loss and pain on both is plain. There is only one person who could provoke such response.

Xena, in tears, hurting

XENA

Hello mother. I brought father home.

The world whirls around Cyrene and her body goes weak. Gabrielle is at her side instantly, supporting her to the ground as she sinks down with a moan. Xena approaches and sets Atrius gently on the ground before her distraught mother.

The hope was sustenance; the hope meant that one day he would return. Now, that is gone and she is broken. Empty and alone, the worst comes to pass. Twenty one years after Atrius left, she is a widow. Sobbing, she tears at the wrappings, needing to see his face, to confirm with her own eyes what her heart still denies.

Xena makes a motion to help but Gabrielle shakes her head no. This is something Cyrene has to do on her own. Xena continues to hold her composure with iron will, but is close to cracking.

The last fold of cloth falls to the urgent assault of unsteady hands and her Atrius' aged face comes into weak torchlight, recognizable to eyes of love despite time and poor illumination. The cruel truth is revealed to her and Cyrene falls on the body, wailing.

Xena makes a small choking sound as the walls break and grief overwhelms her. Gabrielle signals Xena to comfort her mother, but Xena is a mess, and looking ready to bolt. Gabrielle waves to Athena and points at Xena and the Goddess crosses quickly and takes Xena away, holding her.

Gabrielle, herself a swirl of emotions, kneels and picks up Cyrene; she holds the woman to her chest. Cyrene clings to her desperately and they both cry, mourning the man they knew as Atrius - long a husband to one and a father briefly to the other.

There is a duality at play, Athena and Gabrielle bridging the broken family.

The night and village remain indifferent to the tragedy in the square and it is better that way. Personal grief needs privacy.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – NIGHT

The oil lamp burns smoky as Xena and her mother face each other across the prep table. They might as well be sitting on the opposite sides of a canyon. There is no physical contact. Xena is sullen and withdrawn, closed off behind her walls, arms crossed on her chest, her posture guarded and stiff in the chair; Cyrene is numb.

Cyrene has cried until she could cry no more and an occasional tremor still shakes her body. She looks at Xena thru red eyes and yearns to touch her daughter. What keeps her still is the knowledge that secrets were kept from her. When Gabrielle last visited, her love was already dead. She is certain. She leans forward and fixes Xena with her no nonsense gaze that she used so often in the past with her unruly child. Xena responds immediately, shrinking in the chair and avoiding her eyes, back to being a young girl in trouble with her mother. Again. Parents make us small.

Cyrene, cutting directly to the heart of the matter, sharply

CYRENE

When?

The voice that emanates from Xena is her own, yet younger and more shaky. They are fast reverting to their old roles, reliving the old dynamic.

Xena, squeaking, extremely uncomfortable

XENA

… In the fall, before the pass.

Cyrene, accusingly

CYRENE

Gabrielle knew.

Her instinctive reflex of defending Gabrielle fires up and Xena gears up for a fight; ironically, that is the way their conversation tended in the past, thou for different reasons. The actors mature but the play proceeds unchanged; the past repeats.

Xena, defensively

XENA

It was not her place.

Cyrene, growing angry, her words louder

CYRENE

She stayed for three weeks, smiled in my face, and kept that?!

Xena, keeping her own temper in check, conciliatorily

XENA

Mother, please be reasonable. Locia was not easy on her.

Cyrene, sensing a weak point and pushing her attack, lashing out

CYRENE

It's true then. I knew there was something wrong about her.

XENA

You don't mean that, that is the grief striking out. She didn't do it.

Cyrene turns the words over in her head and to her growing horror, pieces fall into place. Her hand flies to her mouth and her eyes fill with familiar, acute sorrow and pain.

Cyrene, cringing, suffering the old wounds cut fresh and weeping agony

CYRENE

No, not again. I can't go thru this again. What have you done, foolish child?!

Silence descends and into it words drop from Xena like stones into a well, sending echoes of shock thru the kitchen.

Xena, tearfully confessing, full of regret and shame

XENA

I murdered the entire village, old and young alike. Only the children survived my wrath and that is because they were not there. They might as well have been.

Xena looks at her mother, pleading for understanding. This is the hardest part.

Xena, quietly, taking responsibility

XENA

Gabrielle protected me and took the blame for the massacre. I am the reason for her torment; me and no one else. Yet she forgave …

The slap of the hand is sharp and loud. Xena flinches but does not pull away.

Cyrene, the emotions of the night coalescing into cold rage, viciously striking with words

CYRENE

Have you not done enough? Now you have to destroy her too? Xena, leave Amphipolis and don't come back until after the funeral. You are a curse of your own making. You took Gabrielle's kind heart and abused it. She has a long, happily married life ahead of her here, surrounded by people who love her. You will not ruin that. You will not kill another daughter.

Xena sits frozen still, tears running freely, back in Amphipolis, only months ago. Same result. I tried, she thinks to herself. She has a feeling there is no fixing this. The village might forgive but her mother won't.

Cyrene, breaking into the sudden silence, screaming, her voice rising with each word

CYRENE

You are a monster. Get out! GET OUT! GET OUT!!!

Xena flees thru the back kitchen door, her mother's words chasing her like a swarm of angry arrows and piercing just as deep.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN, BACK KITCHEN DOOR – NIGHT

The door bangs open and Xena bolts into the oblivion of the night, heading for the stable; she is single-mindedly intent on getting away, her only focus on leaving this place. Xena runs blindly thru the village square, right into Gabrielle who catches her.

Gabrielle, restraining her with difficulty, soothingly

GABRIELLE

Easy, easy, come here.

Xena, in full flight and struggling mightily, trying to extract from Gabrielle's clingy arms

XENA

No. Let me go. I said, let me go!

Gabrielle, near the limit of her own strength and ability yet refusing to give up, sternly

GABRIELLE

Remember the unconscious and unwilling promise? You are mere seconds from being dragged behind me.

That stops Xena. She only puts up a token struggle as bard's close physical presence envelops her and traps her still. Welcome physical presence, which Xena sinks into.

XENA

You couldn't. You wouldn't. Would you?

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Xena, relieved, willingly surrendering to the comfort

XENA

How did you know?

Gabrielle, with simple words making a powerful statement, reconfirming her oath

GABRIELLE

I will always be there for you.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

Thank you.

Gabrielle guides Xena towards the nearby white, two story house – Gabrielle and Athena's recently finished home.

Gabrielle, playfully

GABRIELLE

Move it big baby, adults need alone time.

XENA

Gabrielle!

GABRIELLE

Not now, in the morning. Life goes on, Xena.

Xena nods her understanding and they proceed in silence. Gabrielle and Athena's common, soon to be married life started today in this structure of brick and wood; their home. Xena has none.

Xena and Gabrielle stop at the door.

Xena, unsure

XENA

Mother kicked me out. You think she is mad now, wait till Lila tells her where I am staying.

GABRIELLE

Cyrene will understand. She knows the bond we share.

Xena, meaning more than what is said, softly

XENA

I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE

What's mine is yours. Stop moping and enter already.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE & ATHENA'S HOME, FOYER – NIGHT

The new house is modest, although one of the nicer ones in Amphipolis. The entry room has few chests for storage and wooden stand for hanging cloaks. The white walls are bare, aside from few ornate oil lamps. The right door leads to large kitchen, the left to the dining room. The one straight ahead opens on courtyard. Narrow stairs on both sides lead to second floor.

Gabrielle, pointing at the stairs, informatively

GABRIELLE

Guest room is on the right and behind it is Lila's. Ours is on the other side, followed by the children's.

XENA

Planning ahead?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You know it.

XENA

Where am I staying?

GABRIELLE

Next to our daughter. Goodnight Xena.

Quick, warm hug and she is gone.

Xena looks at the left stairs where the bard was seconds ago with sadness and longing. Sighing heavily, she takes the other ones and slowly ascends, weighed down by the emotional toll of the reunion. How true her own words ring, she thinks. You can go home again but the hard part begins when you arrive. Or in her case, total disaster.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME, GUEST ROOM – NIGHT

Xena lies on the soft bedding, its inviting comfort the farthest thing on her mind. She goes over the events of the night, words she should have said, words she shouldn't. Any way she works it, the result is the same. The wounds between her and her mother are too deep and too fresh. At least she allowed Xena the possibility of return. Funeral is on third day hence and …

The door makes a weak, protesting sound as it opens and a lithe figure slides in. Xena curses herself for not hearing Lila earlier and immediately closes her eyes; she fakes sleep, hoping there will be no more talking tonight. No such luck.

After a quick peek at Xena, Lila pads inside the moonlit room, her bare feet lightly scraping cold, wooden floor. There is a rug near the bed and she steps on it with relief, wiggling her toes as she observes them to chase away the chill that seeped in. Satisfied, she studies the sleeping form and feels intense dislike. So this is the monster that took her mother away. Ma speaks with affection about her traveling companion, but Lila knows better. She heard tales and her aunt Cyrene shared some stories. She creeps forward and leans down, staring hard at the sleeping face.

Lila, whispering harshly

LILA

I hate you.

Xena opens her eyes and looks straight at Lila.

XENA

Hello Lila.

Scared and surprised, Lila stumbles back and loses her balance; trademark clumsiness causes her to land on her butt and it hits the floor hard.

Worried that blood-curling screaming is only a breath away as Lila inhales - followed no doubt by heavily armed Gabrielle bursting thru the door with deadly intent - Xena sits up and smiles warmly at the girl. Although there is an excellent chance that the bard will be naked, Xena decides that risking her life is not worth the price of admission.

The look that is returned is not friendly but at least Lila keeps quiet.

Lila, hostile

LILA

Why are you here?

Xena, sighing

XENA

Mother threw me out.

LILA

You deserved it.

Xena, admitting

XENA

Yes, yes I did.

Lila, sensing sincerity, suddenly curious

LILA

Why?

Xena, trying to find the right words, picks her way carefully

XENA

My father died at Locia and things … got complicated. Gabrielle got hurt, I lost my mind. No, strike that, I did a terrible thing and she paid for it. We brought his body today and between all that, mother had enough. Gabrielle took me in.

She knows what question is coming next and braces for it. Honesty is the only currency that will carry value here. She does not know if Lila shares her mother's gift, but this is not the time to find out.

Lila, having to know, softly

LILA

You hurt ma?

Xena, distressed not over the acknowledgement but the fact there is one, hurting

XENA

Yes.

LILA

Was it the first time?

Xena, tearfully confessing

XENA

… No, there were others. Do you want me to leave too?

Something happens in that moment and their relationship, if you can call it that, changes.

Lila, saying the word, but no longer with conviction

LILA

Yes. Where will you go?

Xena, shrugging

XENA

Outside.

Lila, confirming

LILA

You won't leave her.

Xena, gently

XENA

I can't. I tried and I can't. She is everything to me.

LILA

Do you love her?

Xena, affectionately and convincingly

XENA

With all my heart.

LILA

Does she?

XENA

Yes, but not like Athena.

Lila, genuine warmth entering her voice

LILA

My other mother.

XENA

Is it weird?

Lila, smiling

LILA

Not really. I spent my entire life with ma and I been living with mother for the last few weeks. To others, she appears regal and coldly distant. To me, she is open and warm. I like her and we have fun. I am looking forward to the three of us together this winter and the ones to follow. For the longest time it was just me and ma. Then I was alone. Now I have a family I always wanted.

XENA

You work in the kitchen?

Lila, conspiratorially

LILA

Aunt does not have enough money to hire the necessary help and Toris is useless.

Xena, rolling her eyes and eliciting a small giggle from Lila

XENA

Tell me about it.

LILA

The serving staff is paid. Toris cleans the rooms and does the repairs. Mostly he complains and loafs. Cyrene is on him constantly about marriage and responsibilities. When they get going, the whole village gets an earful.

XENA

Do you like Amphipolis?

Lila, happy

LILA

Yes. I hardly left the house in Potidaea and once ma left, it was living Tartarus in that place. Here I am safe and well fed.

XENA

Mother keeping you in sweets?

Lila looks around as if to ensure no one is listening then takes a measure of Xena. Satisfied, she takes her into confidence.

LILA

Cyrene wants me to take over the inn when I am older. She is not well.

XENA

What?!

Lila, sadly

LILA

She hides it, but I notice. She has pain in her hands and her back. Is Athena really the Goddess?

XENA

Yes.

Lila, curious

LILA

Why won't she help Cyrene?

XENA

Athena won't interfere under any condition. The only power she uses is the one to conceal her identity. Athena will live the mortal life with Gabrielle.

Lila, dreamily

LILA

That is so romantic.

Xena, wistfully

XENA

That's love.

Lila, fixing her with her eyes again, intrigued

LILA

What's your role?

Xena, proudly

XENA

I protect Gabrielle.

LILA

Some job you are doing.

Xena, sharing reluctantly

XENA

Lila, people are not perfect. I have … issues and I make bad decisions. Since I met Gabrielle … less so.

LILA

You don't do it on purpose?

XENA

… Yes and no. It is like there are two people inside me and they are fighting for control.

Lila, asking the most important question to her, reading Xena intently for clues of deceit

LILA

Would you die for ma?

Xena, truthfully and instantly

XENA

Yes.

Lila, satisfied

LILA

Fine, you can stay.

Lila stands up and heads for the door. Turning, she delivers a warning.

LILA

I will be watching you.

Xena can't help but smile at the fierce protectiveness. Lila is growing up.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – MORNING

Gabrielle is sitting at the kitchen table in blood armor, narrating the recent events. She is holding the hands the Cyrene, who is listening attentively. Lila is busy watching the pots and ovens, but not too busy to keep listening to the story. Gabrielle tells the events in Locia, Trachis and their separation and reunion. She left out the personal details during her brief time here and only now can the full story be told. Cyrene starts to realize that asking Gabrielle for whole truth is not always a good idea; she holds nothing back. Once Gabrielle falls silent, Lila comes over immediately and hugs her mother, sensing she needs one now.

Cyrene slows digests the complex story. They had long talks over the three weeks and have grown close. She felt Gabrielle was holding something back and was gently prodding and pushing for more. Now she wishes she knew less. Those two lead the most complicated lives of anyone, real or myth. Throw Athena into the mix and it might just be better to cover the ears and close the eyes and live in ignorance.

Lila goes back to her duties and Gabrielle, having laid the foundation, decides to postpone building this particular structure for the moment. She instead goes with the bright, happy future.

Gabrielle, sunnily

GABRIELLE

We are planning the wedding for the first day of the year. Open to family plus Olympians.

Cyrene, snapping from her reverie, stunned

CYRENE

Gabrielle, did you just say what I think you said?

Gabrielle, with small grin

GABRIELLE

Yes. “Hide the wine and women, Zeus is visiting”. Not my words, Athena's.

CYRENE

Father of Gods and men?

Gabrielle, grin growing wider

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

King of the Gods?

Wider.

GABRIELLE

Yes.

CYRENE

That Zeus?

Gabrielle, grinning like a Cheshire cat

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Cyrene, finally accepting

CYRENE

Wow.

GABRIELLE

Xena gives me away, Zeus gives away Athena, Lila brings the rings, and then he joins us. That sums it up.

CYRENE

You make is sound simple.

Gabrielle, smiling nervously, admitting

GABRIELLE

I wrote my vows on a scroll in case I forget them.

CYRENE

Nervous?

GABRIELLE

Excited and terrified.

Cyrene, with a hint of sadness, gently touching the side of Gabrielle's face

CYRENE

You found your true love.

Gabrielle, face glowing, lovingly

GABRIELLE

Athena completes me.

CYRENE

I am happy for you. However, the village won't be.

GABRIELLE

The ceremony is private. The reception is open. Life is a compromise.

Cyrene, turning to practical

CYRENE

Who is paying for it?

GABRIELLE

I and Xena will hunt all the venison you can preserve and plenty of fresh meat for the feast. I will pay for the rest.

Cyrene, with mixed emotions

CYRENE

… Xena.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

She is staying with us.

Same as Xena, she defends her friend without hesitation, thinks Cyrene. They truly care for each other. She likes Athena, but wishes that Gabrielle chose Xena. It isn't right that two bonded souls be kept apart in love. Whims of the heart, something she found out when she fell for the handsome scoundrel. Atrius …

Cyrene wipes a few errant tears and composes herself. She returns to conversation, Gabrielle respectfully allowing her space for thoughts and memories they conjure.

CYRENE

Lila talked with Xena last night.

Gabrielle gives Lila a questioning look.

Lila, to Gabrielle, turning crimson, embarrassed

LILA

Tried to tell, your bedroom was busy this morning.

Gabrielle, to Cyrene, raising an eyebrow

GABRIELLE

Mom, what did you fill her head with?

CYRENE

Don't you start, young one. She has two mothers and she is curious. Not to mention she walked in on you before. Telling her you two are together is not enough. She is thirteen, explain the whole thing already.

Lila, eagerly

LILA

Yes ma, do.

Gabrielle, raising her eyes to the sky, imploring

GABRIELLE

Athena, help me.

Cyrene, making her escape from the kitchen

CYRENE

Told you before: your child, your responsibility. Excuse me; I have the check the main room.

She pats Gabrielle's hands and exits the kitchen to the back hallway. The door closes as Lila takes over Cyrene's seat and stares at her mother expectantly. The silence lengthens and hangs suffocating in warm air of the kitchen.

Gabrielle already made up her mind; the rub is in the delivery. She goes over everything once more in her mind and then gives her full attention to her daughter. She smiles encouragingly and Lila leans forward.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

We are peasants, raised on the farm and you know about the physical. Difference is, we are not animals. The act itself means nothing, for it is empty and devoid of meaning. Love transforms it.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

I cannot explain love to you.

Lila, disappointed

LILA

Oh.

Gabrielle, decisively

GABRIELLE

We will show you.

This is not what Lila expected. This is not even close to what she considered.

Lila, her brain scrambling to process the implications

LILA

OH.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

I will come and get you tonight. You will sit on the chair beside the bed and you will not move or talk. You will be as quiet as a mouse. We will answer all your questions afterwards. Do you understand?

Lila, swallowing audibly, scared

LILA

I … I don't think I am ready for that.

Gabrielle, assuringly

GABRIELLE

Lila honey, we want you to see what real love is. Do you trust me?

And that is all she needs to hear. Mother knows best.

LILA

Yes ma.

Pause.

LILA

Okay.

Gabrielle waits patiently, knowing questions are coming.

Lila, growing confident, does not disappoint

LILA

Ma?

GABRIELLE

Yes?

Lila, curious

LILA

Why do you like girls? Do you not like boys?

GABRIELLE

I am attracted to women.

Lila, shyly

LILA

Mother is beautiful.

Gabrielle, smiling warmly

GABRIELLE

Yes she is and I love her very much as a person. Appearance changes, inner beauty remains. Remember that.

LILA

What about Xena?

GABRIELLE

There are different kinds of love. Athena's is romantic. Xena's is platonic, thou closer to unrequited. Who do you like?

Lila, haltingly

LILA

… Boys.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Anyone catch your eye?

Lila, quickly

LILA

No.

GABRIELLE

You want us to choose for you?

Lila, relived

LILA

Yes.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Toris?

LILA

Ewww.

Gabrielle, growing serious

GABRIELLE

Lila, kidding aside, the choice is yours.

LILA

How will I know?

Gabrielle takes both her hands into hers and makes sure they have eye contact.

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

You will. We will show you this evening and you will know. We are careful in public - this is not Athens. We watch our behavior around you and Xena's family; rarely around the warrior princess herself. We even teased her a few times, payback for her past advances.

Pause.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Lila, I want you to see when two people become one. The way they look at each other, the way they act, the way they talk and the way they love.

Lila, proud to be taken into such confidence, accepting

LILA

I think I would like that.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME – EARLY EVENING

Xena left supper early, having finished her meal and back to sulking in her room. Gabrielle hopes the hunt tomorrow will spark some life into her best friend; hunt and bard's company, she corrects with a chuckle.

Lila gathers the dishes and heads to the kitchen to wash them, leaving them alone. It is almost time for Gabrielle to do her bard thing at the inn, but first she needs to have a talk with Athena.

Gabrielle stands up and saunters over to her lover, sitting sideways on her lap. She throws her arms around Athena neck and gently kisses her nose. Athena does not even feel her weight plus a substantial meal. The bard could weight twice that and she would not care. She is very much lost in those eyes and enjoying the work the lips are doing.

Gabrielle, one hand now in Athena's hair, other busy roaming her body, breathily

GABRIELLE

I want you to wear your tunic to bed, love.

Athena, smiling warmly

ATHENA

Knowing you, it won't stay on long.

Gabrielle, smiling back

GABRIELLE

True. I want you comfortable, Lila will learn from us tonight.

Athena considers the request, the subject being something they discussed after a few close calls and one interruption. It is just like Gabrielle: elegant and creative.

ATHENA

You sure about this?

GABRIELLE

You are not protesting. Is that a good sign?

ATHENA

Gabrielle, I trust you to know what is best for our daughter.

Pause.

Athena, affectionately

ATHENA

I fondly remember our first night and I could not have asked for a more patient or loving partner. You want to share what we have with our daughter, I will support you. I admit your approach is unusual, but I see the reason behind it.

GABRIELLE

She observes silently from the side and then we talk about it. No covers, no secrets, and we don't hold back. I want her to see us together, uncensored.

ATHENA

Gabrielle, let me bring her. That makes it a joint decision. Lila needs to know that.

They seal the agreement with long kiss, their open eyes speaking their feelings.

Gabrielle, murmuring happily

GABRIELLE

Mmmm, Goddess of Wisdom, I knew there was a reason I picked you.

ATHENA

Go on, do your bard thing and hurry back. I and my sheer tunic will be waiting.

Gabrielle gives her a quick kiss, then another, and then one more for good measure. She gets down and heads for the door, only to get a playful slap on the butt and a mischievous smile to send her on her way.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Hold that thought.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN KITCHEN – DAWN

Cyrene is rolling the dough, having shaped several loafs, when she stops and looks at Lila. Without a word, the girl washes her hands and takes over, as Cyrene flexes her fingers is search of relief.

The door opens and Gabrielle enters, dressed for the hunt. She shoots a smile at Lila, who smiles shyly back and manages to only slightly turn red. Without a word, Gabrielle crosses to Cyrene and takes her right hand in hers. Quick dip into the belt and out comes a salve. She sets the jar on the table and works the contents with practiced hands into Cyrene's own. She repeats on the left one.

Cyrene feels like her hands are burning and then the sensation lessens, leaving behind pleasant warmth that takes away her joint pain. She looks at Gabrielle in amazement, and then turns a stern glance on Lila, who confirms her guilt by quickly looking away. Gabrielle takes out a small pouch with a mix of herbs and hands it to Cyrene.

GABRIELLE

Salve in the morning and evening, and anytime there is a flare up. Add a pinch of the mix to water when the back announces itself. Come by our house this evening after dinner, I have another thing for it.

Cyrene, tearing up in gratitude, happily

CYRENE,

You are a blessing from the Gods, daughter.

Gabrielle hugs her and goes to pick up the bundle from the prep table. She judges the weight and sure enough, there is food for two. She fires a knowing smile at Cyrene, who pretends to find something urgent in the oven that needs her attention. Not fooled, Gabrielle leaves, whistling to herself and tossing the bundle up into the air. Lila and Cyrene look at each other and burst into laughter. Busted.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – LATE MORNING

Xena is festooned with a garland of rabbits, several having laid their lives in the construction of the furry wreath. Gabrielle is sporting the start of another one and they are slowly heading back to the village. Xena's mood has improved significantly between the success of the hunt and the entertaining tales Gabrielle was spinning for her; just the two of them, talking and sharing company. With Gabrielle trying to spend maximum time with her family, only the mornings and part of the evening are sacrificed. Xena understands and does not begrudge. Okay, maybe a little. Okay, a lot.

GABRIELLE

How do you feel about cleaning and washing?

XENA

Gabrielle, you can take this earning your keep thing too far. Wash your own underwraps.

GABRIELLE

I mean full service.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

Full body service?

GABRIELLE

You wish.

Xena, leering

XENA

I do. Frequently.

GABRIELLE

Down girl.

Xena stops and takes a long, lingering look up and down Gabrielle's body. She closes her eyes and smiles, lost in dreams.

Gabrielle, abruptly grounding Xena's flight of fancy, grinning as she shatters the fantasy

GABRIELLE

The guests are complaining about dirty rooms and moldy straw.

Xena, grumbling

XENA

Great, there goes the image.

Gabrielle, piously

GABRIELLE

Hard work cures the wicked mind.

Xena, making a show of sniffing the air as they resume walking

XENA

Funny, I smell a goodwill campaign in the offing.

GABRIELLE

Guilty.

XENA

Plan?

GABRIELLE

Cyrene has bad back and the herbs only dull the pain. I figure a massage from you this evening is a start.

XENA

You know how to give one. I taught you well.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

Took a lot of practice on you. No ulterior motive there.

Xena finds something very interesting in the treetops to look at.

Gabrielle, with a small smile, returning the favor from earlier

GABRIELLE

Athena thanks you.

Xena, pretending hurt

XENA

Sure, rub it in.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

I do. Frequently.

XENA

Bad bard. What's next, assuming one of us is alive at the end of therapy?

Gabrielle, dramatically

GABRIELLE

Xena, warrior maid.

XENA

What's my reward?

GABRIELLE

Job well done.

XENA

No.

GABRIELLE

Short sparring session in the morning.

XENA

At dawn?

Gabrielle, admitting

GABRIELLE

I am having trouble leaving the bed in the morning.

XENA

Can't imagine why.

Gabrielle, brightly

GABRIELLE

Must be the fluffy pillows.

Xena, pouncing on the opening, naughtily

XENA

Yes, she does have nice ones.

GABRIELLE

Xena!

Xena, innocently

XENA

What?

GABRIELLE

Behave.

Xena, knowing she has the bard where she wants her, resolutely

XENA

The bribe is insufficient.

GABRIELLE

Fine: additional and longer sparring session in the afternoon with us. However, you move back to your old room at the inn at the first opportunity.

Xena, satisfied

XENA

Deal. I declare war on grime.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME – EVENING

Cyrene lays on her stomach in one of the empty children's rooms. She is naked to her waist, resting on a small bed. She is starting to doze when the door opens and Xena comes in.

Xena moves to the bed and opens a small jar. Sharp, medicinal smell conquers the room. She rubs her hands briskly to warm them up and taking up a dab of salve, starts working it in with strong hands.

Cyrene recognizes right away that her masseuse is not Gabrielle. The hands and strength don't match the bard but they do a certain someone.

Cyrene, sighing

CYRENE

Does Gabrielle ever stop meddling in personal affairs of others?

Xena, laughing

XENA

No mother, she is completely incapable of restraint. The bard is trouble.

Pause.

Xena, affectionately

XENA

She waited for me by the stable, knowing I would go to Argo when hurt.

Cyrene, apologetically

CYRENE

I'm sorry; I did not mean … angry words were spoken without care and under stress.

Xena does not answer and continues to knead the muscles, adding salve as needed.

Cyrene, trying to draw her out of her shell, gently

CYRENE

How are you, daughter?

Xena, content

XENA

I am with Gabrielle.

Cyrene, sadly

CYRENE

That way lies lifelong pain.

Xena, softly

XENA

I thought so at first. It took almost losing her twice to open my eyes. She brings joy and happiness to my heart. The suffering is negligible compared to what she gives me.

CYRENE

One day she will leave the road and settle down. What then?

XENA

Before the pass, she told Athena that she wants to sleep with Lyceus and me.

Cyrene, despairing for her daughter

CYRENE

Why did she not choose you?

Xena, with absolute belief

XENA

She did, time and time again. I was too blind to see it.

CYRENE

No husband, no children, alone; Xena, find someone. She found love, you can too.

Xena, lovingly

XENA

I did. I love Gabrielle.

Cyrene, wistfully

CYRENE

The heart is cruel.

XENA

Father was the one?

CYRENE

He is. We will meet again in the Elysian Fields.

Xena stops the massage abruptly and Cyrene knows right away that something is wrong. She starts to rise but Xena pushes her down and resumes her work.

Cyrene, scared

CYRENE

What is it? What do you know?

Xena, lying

XENA

You will be together some day.

Cyrene, sternly

CYRENE

Xena of Amphipolis, daughter of mine, Gabrielle is not the only one who knows when you are lying.

Xena, tearfully, confessing

XENA

Both Gabrielle and I have good hearts and dark soul; father chose darkness. I'm truly sorry.

CYRENE

Thank you for the truth.

Xena can't see her face, but she can hear the anguish in her mother's voice and knows she is crying.

Xena, with deep sorrow

XENA

You raised three children and run an inn by yourself. You spent your youth and health in the bargain. How did we repay? One by one we left until you were alone.

Pause.

XENA

Now we return and half of us are dead. We tore down this family, brick by brick and left you wondering the ruins.

Cyrene, proudly

CYRENE

Xena, you brought them back. You gave me another daughter with a child. More grandkids are not far behind. Yes, there was loss. Tomorrow we bury your father and lay the the past in the ground. Marriage follows and a bright future opens.

Pause.

Cyrene, quietly, imploring as she extends an olive branch

CYRENE

I am waiting for you. Please return to your old room in the inn.

XENA

What about the past? What about us?

CYRENE

I know what you did to Gabrielle and she forgave you. I don't have her strength or compassion and I can't promise bitter words won't flow again. But I want my remaining family back in my life. I am tired of hurting. Xena, come home and stay.

XENA

… Yes.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – XENA FAMILY'S BURIAL PLOT – MORNING

The air is crisp and the sky cloudless. The winter sun shines weakly on the land. No wind stirs the trees. Even the animals are quiet. It is as if nature itself is paying its respects to Atrius.

On the small plot of land that belongs to Xena's family, surrounded by low stone wall, slabs of local stone of various shapes sit in silence. The Greek letters on many are worn down. The recent ones are Lyceus' and Cyrene's parents. Those look well maintained and there are relatively fresh flowers on them.

The funeral is a private affair and even the priest is not invited. Instead Athena herself in her golden armor presides over the ceremony. The only outsider is Hermes, dressed in fine white tunic with gold accents. He will escort Atrius to Charon personally.

Atrius rests on a platform near a dug hole, for it is tradition to bury the dead in Amphipolis. He is swaddled in white linen, save for his face. He looks just like the day he died yet clean and serene. In fact, Atrius looks like a man at peace. His headstone has his name, dates of his birth and death and the words “Beloved Father” carved into stone. Soon, Atrius will rest. Next to his is another rock, blank. One day Cyrene will sleep with her husband.

Xena and Gabrielle are in full armor and armed with a complement of weapons, all highly polished. Toris, Lila, and Cyrene wear white. Athena steps forward, next to the grave marker, and faces them.

ATHENA

Born in the dirt to dirt we return.

XENA, GABRIELLE, CYRENE, TORIS, LILA, & HERMES

Praise the Gods.

ATHENA

Who will speak for Atrius so that Hades may judge him fairly?

Cyrene approaches her husband and kisses him as her tears hit his face. She places an obolus (silver coin) on his lips and covers it with a strip of linen.

Cyrene, finding words hard to form, speaks her feelings

CYRENE

My beloved husband and a father to three, Atrius was a good man. I knew his heart better than anyone in this land and there was only love for his family in there. I will love him to the end of my days and beyond. He will be missed.

She walks back crying and Lila holds her as Toris steps forward. He places the linen and returns to the back as Xena shoots him a dark look.

Xena walks to her father and kisses him on the forehead, adding another strip.

Xena, tearfully and proudly

XENA

There are those who forsake love but my father was not one of them. Wherever he went, not matter what he did, he carried us with him. The darkness that invaded his heart and soul was no match for the light. And in the end, when judged, where a weaker man would break, he stood tall and proud. He was the father I loved and remembered. At his last, he was my hero. He will be missed.

Gabrielle is next, kissing the forehead and placing another cloth. The face is mostly covered.

GABRIELLE

It is easy for man to follow his savage nature. It takes courage to face and conquer it. I knew Atrius but three days. In that time I saw a man leave his past and embrace the future. The Fates were not kind and took him from us prematurely. Yet as short a time I knew him, I was proud to call him father. He will be missed.

Hermes and Lila add their strips and the final one is placed by Athena.

ATHENA

Zeus, our loving Father, created man.

We are brought together by Aphrodite,

We are made in the passion of Demeter,

We are born in the throes of Hera,

We live under Apollo's blazing eye,

We share the bounty of animals with Artemis,

We celebrate with Dionysus,

We fight for the glory of Athena and Ares,

We pass to the judgment of Hades.

We are made to share our lives with others,

We are made to reflect the Gods' glory.

XENA, GABRIELLE, CYRENE, TORIS, LILA, & HERMES

Praise the Gods.

Athena nods and Hermes approaches and takes the hand of Atrius. Hermes disappears and the fabric over the coin drops as the obolus vanishes with him.

ATHENA

Born in the dirt to dirt we return.

Xena, Gabrielle, Toris and Athena slowly lower the body into the grave as Cyrene wails, consoled with little effect by Lila.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE PARENTS' HOUSE, KITCHEN – LATE AFTERNOON

Hecuba is peeling and slicing vegetables for a soup at the table. She is thin and clearly not well. Her color is paler than usual and there are circles under her eyes. Surprisingly, there are no bruises on her limbs or face, rare occurrence in this house.

Out of thin air, on the other side of table, a figure appears. She is majestic, not much taller than Gabrielle, but the golden armor lends her immense stature. The majestic woman fills the kitchen with her presence and leaves no doubt to her origin.

Hecuba scrambles from her chair and prostrates on the floor.

Athena, with a booming, loud voice

ATHENA

Hello Hecuba. I'm Athena.

Hecuba presses into the floor, frightened out of her mind. Gods don't visit mortals and when they do, people suffer. Only in the tales do the encounters end well. Goddess of War in your kitchen is a terrible indicator of your life expectancy.

Athena, judging Hecuba sufficiently cowed, switches to kindness

ATHENA

Raise woman, I will not have the mother of my betrothed cower before me.

Hecuba, her mind reeling, stammers

HECUBA

My … my … my betrothed?

Athena closes the distance and lifts Hecuba to her feet, straightening her clothes and brushing the dirt off. She hugs the woman and smiles at her.

Athena, softly

ATHENA

Gabrielle and I are engaged and the wedding is in a week.

Hecuba, still not daring to raise her eyes, focuses on the floor

HECUBA

You saved her from Xena? Bless you.

ATHENA

Xena is our friend.

HECUBA

Oh.

ATHENA

You have five minutes. Be ready when I return.

Hecuba, gathering her courage and looking at Athena, timidly

HECUBA

Herodotus?

She wishes she didn't, as the rage that erupts in those eyes burns with a physical intensity and is a witness to the depth of feelings this Goddess … woman has for her daughter.

Athena, growling, furious

ATHENA

No!

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME – LATE AFTERNOON

Gabrielle sits in the courtyard, enjoying the breeze cooling her skin after a long practice with Xena and Athena. Her face is turned to the sun and her eyes closed. Her tunic is stained with dirt and sweat and her hair matted and plastered to her face. She senses Athena long before she arrives, something she developed over time. Her face breaks into a huge smile and sure enough, Athena pops into existence; with Hecuba.

Athena is wearing one of Gabrielle's tunics and her belt holds a sword. Her cleanliness matches the bard's, the illusion of her armored appearance no longer necessary.

Gabrielle, stretching her arms back and pushing her chest out to a spectacular effect

GABRIELLE

I need you to worship me in the tub, love.

Gabrielle opens her eyes as she stands and only then notices Hecuba standing behind Athena with a small bundle of clothes in her hands.

Athena does not help matters by walking very deliberately to Gabrielle, who can't help but fixate on the swaying hips, and kissing her. It is not only the act, but the words that follow.

Athena, teasing

ATHENA

Why Goddess Gabrielle, fifth time today. Have mercy on us mere mortals.

The Goddess dances away, laughing, leaving blushing Gabrielle behind. The bard follows her movement until the door closes and then shifts to her mother. Her eyes and expression change, but Hecuba has already seen the way Gabrielle looks at Athena. Gabrielle wears her feelings openly and they are unmistakable and pure.

Gabrielle, smiling embarrassedly

GABRIELLE

Hello mother.

Hecuba gathers her scattered thoughts, the last few minutes of her life more exciting and confusing than all the years that preceded them. She takes a tentative step towards her daughter.

Hecuba, reaching across the gap, hesitantly

HECUBA

… Hello daughter.

Gabrielle, caringly, genuinely interested

GABRIELLE

How is father?

Hecuba, surprised at the warmth and concern, sighing

HECUBA

Troubled.

Awkward silence falls.

Hecuba, needed to unburden, apologetically

HECUBA

I'm sorry. I told the village militia that you were going after Lila.

GABRIELLE

I warned you.

Hecuba, worried that this is not going well, confesses

HECUBA

Gabrielle, we did not spend your coins, not one drachma. Your father returned from the fields that evening and we talked, really talked for the first time in years. He did not go to the tavern, just sat at the table and looked blankly at the bag of money in front of him. He refused supper and I left him in the kitchen. Later, I couldn't sleep and I was worried so I went back and found him crying. He knows he lost you.

GABRIELLE

He did not weep for Lila. I saw the marks.

HECUBA

You started over in Xena's hometown; new life, house, friends, and family. I can't change what happened in Potidaea but I am glad you invited me to the wedding.

GABRIELLE

I am marrying a woman.

HECUBA

For a long time you walked your own path, years before you left the village. I am resigned to that. I understand that I have to accept who you are and honor your choices. I mean, my daughter is marrying a Goddess. Can she give you children?

Gabrielle, clouds lifting, smiling

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Hecuba, pleading

HECUBA

We lost you and then you took Lila away. The house is empty. Please don't hate me for Gabe. I am your mother; let me be a part of your life again. Give me a chance to spoil my grandchildren. Please?

Gabrielle can't stand the distance any longer. She runs over and hugs her mother.

Gabrielle, tearily

GABRIELLE

I don't blame you for surviving. There is nothing to forgive. We grew apart even as we lived together but you will always be my mother. You gave me my daughter, not once, but three times. I love you, ma.

Pause.

Gabrielle, softly

GABRIELLE

Athena did not consult me before bringing you. She read the pain in my heart and acted on it. I love her more with each passing of the sun.

Hecuba, smiling thru tears, warmly

HECUBA

Herodotus was chosen for me. You found your own happiness. I see and feel the love between you. Go, be with her.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME – EARLY EVENING

Plain wooden cabinets line one wall. Between two large, open windows, an ornate bed sits. Unlike the furniture in the entire house, this one item is from Olympus. It is a small concession and a luxury that Gabrielle openly welcomes and enjoys. On the edge of it sits Athena, patiently waiting for her bard. Her bare feet tap on the rug, one of many on the floor, evidence of Gabrielle's hunting prowess. Large fireplace and an entrance to the bath occupy the other wall. The last wall has the door to the hallway. The white walls are mostly bare, aside from few personal items. Gabrielle hung a few trinkets from her travels and Athena added a few others from her long journey thru life. Additionally, each corner near the bed spots a metal reinforced weapon's chest, hers and hers.

The door opens and Gabrielle pads into the room, throwing off her tunic. Athena is already in her underwraps and bounces towards her with a matching smile. Gabrielle meets her and they touch foreheads.

Gabrielle, looking straight in Athena's eyes, sincerely

GABRIELLE

I want to wear your symbol on my armor.

ATHENA

Gabrielle, it is a choice. We agreed.

Gabrielle, emphatically, offering

GABRIELLE

I am yours as you are mine. We are one.

Athena, lovingly, cherishing the commitment

ATHENA

We are one, Chosen of my heart.

They kiss, not breaking eye contact, Gabrielle's hands around Athena's hips and Athena's in her hair, pulling her close. Two souls bridge the gap and unite. Not even Gabrielle's bond to another can keep them apart.

Parting, Gabrielle leans down and growling playfully, bites the end of the upper underwrap tucked into the front. Athena raises her arms and Gabrielle begins to unravel Athena's chest covering, keeping firm grip on the linen and very slowly orbiting Athena's body. Free, her hands roam, eliciting happy sounds from Athena.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – INN/XENA'S ROOM – NIGHT

In a sparsely furnished, small room off the service hallway, Xena lies on the bed. She is wearing the same dirty tunic she spent the afternoon cleaning the rooms in and her boots are still on. She lies unmoving, staring at the ceiling, while tears run down her cheeks. She is oblivious to the world. Xena does not notice the door open slightly and her mother looking in, concerned. Next thing she knows, she is being held and her hair gently stroked. She is a child again, comforted by her mother.

Cyrene, guessing, the joining being in two days

CYRENE

You missed dinner. The wedding?

Xena nods weakly.

Cyrene, sympathetically and comfortingly

CYRENE

There is no shame in grieving for your heart. Mourn your loss, child.

Xena buries her head and sobs rack her body as her mother begins gently rocking her.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – GABRIELLE'S & ATHENA'S HOME, FOYER – NOON

Gabrielle enters front door, returning from her healer's job. The morning her gone well, even thou Xena was more withdrawn than usual. Gabrielle knows the reason but this is one thing that is beyond her or Gods' power to heal – a wounded heart. She runs into Hecuba, who has taken to working in the kitchen, despite Cyrene protests. Hecuba's color is back and she has started to fill in and regain some of the vitality that was sorely lacking when she first arrived. The haunted look is also gone but the shadows in the eyes remain. Gabrielle knows well the cost of living in that house. She embraces her mother and no words need be spoken. They know.

Hecuba, straightening her clothes, suddenly nervous

HECUBA

The wedding is tomorrow.

Gabrielle, now certain where it is leading, erupts in a beaming smile

GABRIELLE

I feel as if I was asleep all my life and tomorrow I finally wake up.

Hecuba, drawing her courage, saying it and sealing her decision

HECUBA

I am not going back home.

Gabrielle, glad for her mother but sad for her father, wistfully

GABRIELLE

Father …

Hecuba, closing her eyes, letting go

HECUBA

… made his own fate.

GABRIELLE

The guest room is permanently yours. Welcome home, mother.

They hug again, tears flowing freely.

CUT TO:

INT. AMPHIPOLIS – TEMPLE – MORNING

The temple has altars to pantheon of twelve Olympians arranged on all three sides, with Zeus' at the front. Statues stand behind each altar, stony gaze taking in the wedding. The walls are decorated with flowers and it feels and smells like a sunny summer day.

The ceremony is private and there is no priest. Hermes is playing the lyre with heavenly skill, filling the space with otherworldly music. The temple feels magical.

Hecuba whispers to Cyrene, with Lila dropping in a word or two. All three women are wearing simple, yet elegant white dresses and are joined by Tanis in white tunic, who stands slightly apart from them.

And then it happens. The stone statues come to life, as the Gods travel down from Olympus to witness one of their own joined to a mortal. The now flesh and blood beings move from behind the altars and join the group. Polite words are exchanged and an expectant hush falls over the group.

Both Hecuba and Cyrene protectively close ranks around Lila, knowing some of the Gods' reputation and noticing the hungry eyes shot in the girl's direction. Even Toris' knight instinct kicks in and he moves closer. Lila for her part stares wide eyed at the Olympians and prays she won't faint. The men and women are all very beautiful, except for Hephaestus.

The music changes and all eyes turn to the back of the temple. Zeus, leading Athena, enters from the side room and they proceed to the altar. Athena wears a rich white gown, bringing her features in sharp contrast and highlighting her exceptional beauty. There is a glow about her and she stops quite a few hearts. The Gods are not used to seeing the chaste Goddess as a woman but this image leaves no doubt and takes everyone's breath away. Pleased by the reaction, Zeus leaves his daughter and takes his place at the front.

Then it is the bard's turn and Xena and Gabrielle enter. Ares' eyes pop at the sight of Xena and stunned silence falls in the temple. The two women walking down the aisle are more than a match for the collection present already.

Gabrielle mirrors Athena, wearing the same gown and glow. She radiates love and joy from within, her skin lit up in a golden light. She does not appear mortal, more a Goddess. She is light.

And Xena. Calm and serene, the white dress shows off her figure to full effect. Jet black hair and eyes that hold more than a hint of sadness frame a face set in stone. Her beauty is primal, stark and raw, sharp angles and planes. She is darkness. Yet in all that hardness there is softness and curves. And when her gaze falls on Gabrielle, her eyes betray her, reflecting her true feelings and transforming her. She is love.

They stop and for a second Xena is afraid that she won't have the courage to let go. She does with supreme effort and Gabrielle gives her a small squeeze on the arm, thanking her silently even as she mouths the words. Xena walks back to the main group and immediately the other women surround her in silent show of support.

Hermes drops the lyre to a barely audible level and the ceremony begins.

Zeus smiles benevolently and waves his hand. The low burning oil lamps blaze into life, filling the temple with abundant light.

ZEUS

We are gathered here, in the presence of Gods, and in front of witnesses, to join together this woman and woman in matrimony. Athena and Gabrielle, as you prepare to take your vows, give careful thought, for as you make them you are making an exclusive commitment one to the other for as long as you both shall live. Your love for each other should not be diminished by difficult circumstances, and it is to endure until death parts you.

Zeus nods and everybody takes a seat.

Zeus, to wedding party

ZEUS

Love is the richest and greatest gift to the world. Love between a woman and woman which matures into marriage is one of the most beautiful. Today we celebrate that love. I bless this wedding service.

Zeus, to Gabrielle and Athena

ZEUS

It is up to you to keep the blessings flowing each and every day of your lives together. I wish for you the wisdom, compassion, and constancy to create a peaceful sanctuary in which you can both grow in love.

Pause.

ZEUS

As you stand in my presence, remember that love and loyalty alone will serve as the foundations of a happy and enduring home. If the solemn vows which you are about to make are kept permanently, your life will be full of peace and joy, and the home which you are establishing will abide through every change.

Lila stands up and on shaky legs makes her way to the front, holding a silver tray with two rings. Forged of Hephaestus' steel, they shine with a dull sheen. Unbreakable metal, forged by a God, it represents lifelong commitment. Inside each band the words “we are one” are inscribed in Greek.

Zeus, to Gabrielle

ZEUS

Gabrielle, do you understand and accept this responsibility, and do you promise to do your very best each day to create a loving, healthy, and happy marriage?

GABRIELLE

Yes, I do.

Zeus, to Athena

ZEUS

Athena, do you understand and accept this responsibility, and do you promise to do your very best each day to create a loving, healthy, and happy marriage?

ATHENA

Yes, I do.

Hermes starts a new melody as Gabrielle and Athena face each other. There are quite a few happy tears in the audience. The lovers gaze into each other's eyes.

Athena, taking a deep breath to calm herself, lovingly

ATHENA

I love you Gabrielle. I give myself to you: body, heart, and soul. I promise to grow old with you and hold you eternally beautiful. I promise to walk the long road with you and share the thorns and roses equally. Gabrielle, I was born the day I met you and the day you pass I will too.

Gabrielle, relieved that she did not forget her vows, lovingly

GABRIELLE

I love you Athena. Today I give myself to you in marriage. I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and to comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you in good times and in bad, when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you, and to always hold you in highest regard. These things I give to you today, and all the days of our life.

Lila offers the rings and they both take one. She returns to her seat.

ZEUS

The wedding ring is a symbol of eternity. It is an outward sign of an inward and spiritual bond which unites two hearts in endless love. And now as a token of your love and of your deep desire to be forever united in heart and soul, you Gabrielle may place a ring on the finger of your bride.

GABRIELLE

I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you.

She places the ring on Athena's finger and her hands only shake a little.

ZEUS

By the same token Athena, you may place a ring on the finger of your bride.

ATHENA

I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness to you.

Athena happily claims the bard.

ZEUS

Now that Athena and Gabrielle have given themselves to each other by the promises and rings they have exchanged, I pronounce them to be wife and wife. So speaks Zeus, Father of Gods and men.

Cheers erupt from the wedding party and Hecuba, Cyrene, Lila, and even a few Goddesses wipe tears from their eyes.

Xena sits and prays for the torture to be over. This is the worst day of her life and there are quite a few candidates for that dubious honor. Mercifully, her wish is granted and it ends.

Zeus, eyes twinkling

ZEUS

You may now kiss.

Gabrielle and Athena pour their nerves and relief, plus a swirl of emotions, into a passionate kiss that sets the golden standard for those things.

 

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page