Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“ Is There a Doctor In the House?”

Episode 30

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena and Athena are a fair distance from the already set up camp and cheerful fire. Both are in armor, with swords drawn and at the ready. They are facing Gabrielle in blood armor, armed with buckler and sword. Sparring is about to begin. Xena and Athena circle around Gabrielle, clearly preparing to attack from opposite sides.

Gabrielle, grinning, keeps Athena in her view as she adjusts

GABRIELLE

Two on one? Love, you are obligated to defend me.

Athena attacks with a series of quick strikes and Gabrielle avoids engagement, weary of committing, knowing Xena is lurking behind her waiting for her moment.

Xena, taking opportunity of Athena's silence, teasing

XENA

Anything else I am obligated to do?

Gabrielle, not even looking at Xena, haughtily

GABRIELLE

You presume much, wench.

XENA

Them is fighting words.

Athena, to Gabrielle, sweetly

ATHENA

I promise to kiss the bruises.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

I bruise easily. Anyone going to offer?

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Ask Argo.

Xena joins the fray and now they both press Gabrielle.

Xena, growling

XENA

You are one dead bard.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Neigh.

Then there are no more words as an inspired Xena and the Goddess really pour it on.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EARLY EVENING

Three very sweaty combatants relax on the logs by the fire. Xena is slowly removing her armor while Gabrielle and Athena share water and kisses. There is tranquility and hominess to the scene.

The waterskin finished, Athena helps Gabrielle out of her armor and then makes her own disappear. Appreciative whistle from Xena confirms approval of their clinging tunics and the newlyweds look at each other intently as something passes. Laughing, the bard and the Goddess break into a dance, hearing the same music in their heads; they move in perfect sync and Xena's heart catches with a memory of her and Gabrielle's own dance in dreamscape. Winding down, Gabrielle and Athena end up with their faces a breath away and kiss deeply, lost in the moment and open eyes. Too bad ours didn't end up that way, thinks Xena.

Long seconds later, Gabrielle reluctantly leaves the arms of her wife and heads for the pile of her equipment. Athena's eyes stick to the bard and don't waver from appreciating the view.

Xena, evenly, offering

XENA

Gabrielle, leave your armor and weapons, I will clean them. You have your wifely duties to attend.

Gabrielle, narrowing her eyes, suspicious

GABRIELLE

What happened to Xena's rules?

Xena, shrugging, affecting nonchalance

XENA

Things change.

Gabrielle walks up to Xena end puts her hands on Xena's shoulders, looking her deep in the eyes.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

The truth, Xena.

Xena, embarrassed, quietly

XENA

No reason, I just want to do something for you. Let me.

Gabrielle hugs Xena warmly and smiles. She leaves Xena and walks to the nearby saddlebags, taking out the soap and two large pieces of linen. Athena saunters over and joins the bard and they start to leave the camp hand in hand.

Xena, calling out, sternly

XENA

There better be soap left. How could you use the entire bar in one sitting?

Athena, giggling

ATHENA

Bubbly.

Gabrielle, dreamily

GABRIELLE

Bubbly indeed.

Xena, indignantly

XENA

I had to scrub with sand. I was walking funny that day.

Gabrielle, covering her eyes with both hands, disturbed

GABRIELLE

Not liking the visuals!

Athena, taking her hands away from her face gently, gazing lovingly

ATHENA

To hear your voice is ambrosia to me,

I draw life from hearing it.

Could I see you with every glance

It would be better for me

Than to eat or to drink.

Gabrielle, taking a long, lingering look at Athena's assets, appreciatively

GABRIELLE

Tasty mouthful there. All mine?

ATHENA

Depends. Are we married?

Gabrielle, smiling warmly

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Athena, softly and invitingly

ATHENA

All yours.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

Woo hoo, wife benefits!

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Xena sits alone by the fire, the married couple not expected back for quite a while longer. She looks in the direction of Gabrielle and Athena and sighs at the thought of them together. Breaking out of her melancholy, she takes stock of her progress. Xena has finished with her armor set and all the weapons and only the blood armor remains.

Xena gets up and quietly checks for privacy, standing still and extending her senses. She looks around one final time and satisfied, picks up the blood armor. She starts to bring it to her chest when she stops, stands up and listens for a spell. Gathering her courage, Xena sits down and hugs the armor. She rests her cheek on the steel shoulder and inhales Gabrielle's scent, strong after earlier sparring. Closing her eyes, she imagines the blood armor with its owner inside it.

Xena, choked up, emotionally

XENA

I miss you.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – EARLY MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are making their way thru the strangely quiet forest, their weapons out and bodies alert. Argo follows behind, more interested in the grass under her feet. The women heard rumblings about trouble stirring in these part and the rumors wait to be confirmed.

Xena, pointing the direction with her head, suggesting

XENA

Let's check the road.

Gabrielle nods in agreement and they alter their heading. Shortly, the trees thin out and before long they hear the sounds of battle. They quickly look at each other and then take off, leaving Argo behind.

They run onto the road where a group of MITOAN SOLDIERS are defending the wounded, packed densely on the wagons. Attacking them are THESSALIAN SOLDIERS, the aggressors enjoying a two to one advantage.

Gabrielle immediately unslings the bow and starts thinning out the ranks of THESSALIAN SOLDIERS. Xena takes an intercept position and draws her sword and chakram. Sure enough, the bard's actions attract attention the way dogs appear to fleas – irresistible. A swarm of THESSALIAN SOLDIERS breaks off and rush her. Xena runs interference and between them both the charge is over quickly and bloodily. Gabrielle walks forward, finding new targets and the rest of THESSALIAN SOLDIERS read the impending defeat and retreat hastily. Xena starts collecting arrows and Gabrielle heads for the MITOAN SOLDIERS.

MITOAN SOLDIERS start putting down their wounded enemies as she approaches.

Gabrielle, authoritatively

GABRIELLE

Leave them!

MITOAN SOLDIERS take a closer look at the marked armor and recognize her. They all kneel and bow their heads.

MITOAN SOLDIERS' LEADER, respectfully

MITOAN SOLDIERS' LEADER

Your will, Athena's Chosen?

GABRIELLE

Where you heading?

MITOAN SOLDIERS' LEADER, pointing

MITOAN SOLDIERS' LEADER

Apollo's temple, just over that hill and down in the valley. It is the largest in the region and has a medical academy.

Gabrielle, ordering

GABRIELLE

Assist with the all the wounded and then load them on the wagons. We will escort you.

MITOAN SOLDIERS bow and quickly carry out her orders. Those THESSALIAN SOLDIERS that can walk and have light injuries are stripped of armor and weapons and sent on their way. They can't spare the guards. Others are patched up by Gabrielle and Xena and loaded onto wagons. That task completed, the caravan moves out.

CUT TO:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – ROAD – MORNING

The wagons crest the hill and descend into valley. The road passes thru a large village surrounded by cultivated fields, with livestock grazing idly in the pastures. Dwarfing the town is a grand temple that rivals the one in Athens. Open, stone paved plaza leads to massive steps that reach a set of bronze doors at the top. The whole structure is white marble. Stone buildings sprout on both sides of it but the front is undeveloped. The effect is akin to entering an otherworldly place, a piece of Olympus fallen to earth.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – MAIN CHAMBER – MIDMORNING

The huge bronze doors swing outward, Xena opening the left half easily and Gabrielle dragging the right with effort. The shaped hunks of metal come to rest against the stone walls of the entryway with a resounding boom. Sunlight pours into the murky, incense filled depths and everyone inside blinks their eyes.

Gabrielle, outlined in the opening, commanding loudly

GABRIELLE

I am Gabrielle, Athena's Chosen. Unless you are a priest or a patient, get out.

TEMPLE GUARDS, TEMPLE SLAVES, TEMPLE SERVANTS, VILLAGERS and assorted SOLDIERS clear out in a hurry, passing between the two women.

Xena and Gabrielle descend the steps as a man in rich, ornate robes of the chief priest comes running from the back. CHIEF PRIEST storms up to them, his face burning with anger. He starts yelling before he even gets to them.

CHIEF PRIEST, fuming

CHIEF PRIEST

This is a sacred place of peace and prayer. I object!

Xena walks up to CHIEF PRIEST and knocks him out with one blow. CHIEF PRIEST slumps unconscious to the ground.

Xena, coldly

XENA

Anyone else want to object?

One PRIEST passes out and the rest shake their heads negative, their bodies trembling in fear. Xena has an old reputation for ransacking temples.

Gabrielle, firmly

GABRIELLE

I am in charge. Xena assists me and handles new arrivals. You follow us. You do what we tell you and you don't ask questions unless it has to do with a patient or treatment.

Gabrielle does not wait for confirmation and moves toward the PATIENTS. The benches that covered the temple floor are now put together in pairs and covered with blankets. On them rest the wounded. There are bodies everywhere, at least two score. Gabrielle immediately begins her inspection, marking each patient on the forehead and limb with charcoal, deciding their fate.

Xena, issuing additional instructions, authoritatively

XENA

Open all the shutters and light more lamps; if it is medical or medicinal and in this temple, I want it by the main altar. Move.

Few PRIESTS break away from the group following them and practically run to fulfill her commands. Rest stay and wait for instructions.

Xena looks at the two PRIESTS closest to her.

Xena, barking

XENA

Names?

PRIEST #1

I'm Hippocrates.

PRIEST #2

Democritus.

Xena, to Hippocrates and Democritus

XENA

Listen up. No marks, they go outside. Alpha is priority, Gabrielle will handle those. Beta, that's me. Lambda, they are beyond help, put them on the blankets by the wall. You two make the sorting happen and then assist me.

Pause.

Xena, to PRIESTS

XENA

Need three with the strongest stomachs to go with Gabrielle.

Xena moves down the first row of benches until she comes to the first beta. Broken forearm with bone sticking out and arrow in the thigh, bloody and about to get more so.

The remaining PRIESTS quickly bring boiling water, bandages, and herbs, setting up a portable supply station on the chairs for her.

Xena washes her hands then cleans the limb, breaking most of the arrow off. She uses the nearby brazier to heat her sharpest dagger, cools it and then widens the wound. Spreading the sides and using forceps to grasp the arrowhead, she pulls it out and hands it off. Working quickly, she stitches the wound and applies a spit poultice and bandages. She moves on to the arm. Taking a strip of leather that was boiled, she hands it to the PATIENT.

XENA

Bite on this.

He does and she sets the bones. She stitches the broken skin and applies herbs and bandages. She fashions a splint and is almost done when she hears a thud. One of Gabrielle's helpers passed out.

Xena, chuckling

XENA

Not strong enough.

She looks at the group following her meaningfully and another PRIEST heads off, looking mighty pale and a tad green. He is actually in the best condition of the ones left with her.

At this time Hippocrates and Democritus return with the PRIEST that fainted. All three are white as a sheet.

Hippocrates, seriously shaken

HIPPOCRATES

Bad neck wound.

Xena, breaking the tension

XENA

My fourth delivery, the woman started bleeding heavily. One moment I am fine, the next I am on the floor. I open my eyes, the baby pops out and lands on me, screaming; fortunately, I caught it by reflex. Then darkness.

HIPPOCRATES

What happened?

Xena, embarrassedly admitting

XENA

I passed out a second time.

The PRIESTS laugh and the mood lightens. They follow Xena down the row.

Next PATIENT has a mangled leg. Gabrielle prepared a tourniquet without tightening it above the knee and marked the cut site. Some PRIESTS swallow loudly as Xena sets up for the operation. Hippocrates is the only one to inch closer, watching with interest.

Xena mixes some herbs for bleeding and pain and those dispensed, she hands the leather strip to the PATIENT. She washes her hands and sterilizes the dagger and chakram. Checking to ensure the herbs took effect, she cuts the skin, fashioning the flaps of skin that will go over the amputation site. Xena picks up the chakram and judging the site she concentrates. One swift strike later, the leg is severed. She folds the skin over the end of the limb and sews it in place, leaving room to drain. She applies herbs and bandages and removes the tourniquet.

Xena, pointing to one of the PRIESTS

XENA

Stay and watch the bleeding. Call me if there is a trouble.

Hippocrates, curious

HIPPOCRATES

Was that the best way?

XENA

Cauterization is dangerous and the last resort. It is to be avoided. To cauterize the wound apply hot metal for no more than one or two seconds, just enough to close the wound.

Hippocrates nods and Xena makes a decision.

Xena, proudly

XENA

Truth be told, you want Gabrielle. She is the healer and a great teacher. She instructed me and our local priest. Go learn from the best, Hippocrates.

Hippocrates bows and goes to join the bard.

The next PATIENT has a spear struck thru his side. Gabrielle already trimmed the shaft and immobilized it and the PATIENT.

The PRIESTS easily fall into a routine and are picking things up quickly. They appear to have the basic medical knowledge but leave too much in the hands of Apollo. Well, Xena thinks, that is one habit that can be cured by example. They need to see that they can make a difference. She gets to work on her new PATIENT.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – MAIN CHAMBER – EARLY AFTERNOON

Hippocrates passes two PRIESTS cleaning the floor. There is scarlet everywhere and the PATIENT is completely covered with a blanket. He shudders and approaches Gabrielle and this is even worse.

Gabrielle brings the bowl of water and sets it beside the PATIENT. She hands him a leather strip to bite on.

Gabrielle, to PRIEST and Hippocrates

GABRIELLE

Hold his feet and shoulders.

They pin the PATIENT down and Gabrielle gently removes his hands from his abdomen. He is holding his guts from spilling and they push out when the pressure is gone. Gabrielle washes her hands and then cleans around the long cut. She carefully handles the intestines, checking for punctures. She leans down and visually inspects the abdomen, making sure to sniff the open cavity carefully. She starts cleaning the guts and placing them back inside. Her PATIENT passes out.

Gabrielle, to Hippocrates

GABRIELLE

Bring the skin together so I can stitch.

She works quickly and before long there is a neat, even line of stitches across the abdomen.

Gabrielle, noticing Hippocrates staring, wryly

GABRIELLE

I am the tailor of human skin.

HIPPOCRATES

How did you learn?

GABRIELLE

Practice on dead animals.

Hippocrates nods and makes a mental note.

Gabrielle, to PRIEST

GABRIELLE

No movement, no water. Watch him closely, restrain if you have to.

Gabrielle begins cleaning up.

HIPPOCRATES

The neck wound …

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRIELLE

Fixed. The blood loss killed him.

HIPPOCRATES

Please forgive me for asking but you are very casual about it.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

When I am with a patient, they are my whole world. They deserve no less. It is only later, when I have time to think, that I grieve. Otherwise if you lose one, you will be no good to the rest. As a healer it is my duty to do the best by each one.

Gabrielle moves on to the next one and Hippocrates dutifully trails behind her. He is openly fascinated by Gabrielle's philosophy and skill and absorbs her teachings eagerly.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE CHAMBER – MIDNIGHT

Three tables and matching benches are the furniture in the room. Open shutters bring the scents and sounds from the gardens around the temple. One door leads to the main chamber and the other to hallway. It is quiet and peaceful, just the two women sitting next to each other at the table.

Xena and Gabrielle look worse for wear. They are taking in their meal, the first since this morning. The food is plentiful but it does not prevent cross plate robbery.

Xena, stabbing a piece of meat from Gabrielle's plate and bringing it to her mouth

XENA

I got first shift, you are up in three.

Gabrielle, flicking a knife that spears the piece of meat right in front of Xena's lips

GABRIELLE

Mine.

Xena, nonchalantly removing the knife and eating the prize, smiling

XENA

Mmmm … yours. Here.

She hands Gabrielle her knife back.

Gabrielle, wiping the knife, sighing

GABRIELLE

Xena, we both know yours is not an innocent act.

Xena looks Gabrielle in the eyes and deliberately reaches with her fork for another piece.

Xena, eyes shining, dangerous and daring

XENA

Go ahead, stop me.

Gabrielle puts away the knife and stands up. Stepping behind her, she hugs astonished Xena and kisses her on top of the head.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

You expect, no you want, violence. Xena, tell me who hurt my best friend.

Xena breaks down and starts crying. Gabrielle gently rocks her as she sobs, whispering soothingly.

Xena, tearfully, in pain

XENA

I did.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE CHAMBER – 3 HRS LATER/NIGHT

Xena opens the door and enters the small room. It is off the hallway and she has seen better prison cells. The room is tiny and the only furniture is a pile of straw. On it, snoring lightly is Gabrielle. The hair spills out around the face, with blankets and cloak piled on top of her. She looks out but Xena knows better. The body position indicates active muscle control over the right arm, with a blade ready to strike and the legs are tensed as well, ready to explode. They often play around but Xena knows better than to try anything right now. Gabrielle gets stabby and extremely dangerous during conflicts; after their last conversation doubly so.

Xena, keeping her distance, hesitantly

XENA

Hey you.

Gabrielle, stopping the snoring and opening her eyes, warmly

GABRIELLE

Hey dark sunshine.

Gabrielle throws the blankets and cloak off and stands up. She is fully dressed and the armor and weapons look clean. Just like her to prioritize maintenance over sleep, thinks Xena. Gabrielle stretches and returns the dagger back to its place on her belt. She walks to Xena and looks for permission. When she gets the nod, she quickly removes Xena's armor and weapons. Gabrielle leaves Xena with the chakram, placing the discarded armor set and weapons in her cloak; she bundles the equipment for carry.

Xena takes off her boots and lies down on the straw.

Xena, shyly

XENA

You don't have to clean them.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

I like to take care of you.

Gabrielle gets the blankets and tucks Xena in. She kisses her on the forehead and smiles. She starts to get up when a hand catches her wrist.

Xena, nicely, with a hint of need

XENA

Stay a moment … please.

Gabrielle sits down and makes no motion to free her arm.

GABRIELLE

What's rattling in that brain?

Xena, grinning

XENA

Whole lot of things. Teach me not to wear a helmet.

Gabrielle, philosophically

GABRIELLE

What one knock loosens, another straightens.

Xena, sighing

XENA

The furniture has been rearranged so often that I will be lucky to remember my name in few more years.

Gabrielle, hopefully and practically

GABRIELLE

I will make little parchment labels for everything.

Xena, mock hurt

XENA

Some friend you are.

GABRIELLE

Best friend.

XENA

True.

Gabrielle, concerned

GABRIELLE

Is it the wounded?

Xena, holding back, hesitantly revealing yet obscuring at once

XENA

… Yes. The battle is getting closer and both armies have patients here. It is a neutral site but emotions run hot on both sides. I'm worried.

Gabrielle, looking Xena straight in the eyes, holding her to the truth between them

GABRIELLE

There is more.

Xena, admitting

XENA

Hate healers and hospitals, they reek of mortality. Present company excepted.

GABRIELLE

At Thermopylae I sent men who should have stayed down into battle. Some died standing around. Last night the wounded had no one to bring them water or food when it run out. Slaves were in armor and fighting. They were instructed for an hour and thrown into the pit. War is Tartarus and you don't leave the field when it is over. You take it with you.

XENA

There is strong and there is you. You did nothing wrong and willed a victory.

Gabrielle, wistfully

GABRIELLE

The greater good.

XENA

The same. I read your scroll and I know you sent a copy to Athens. The whole Greece is singing of the Goddess that led the army and the bravery and sacrifice of King Leonidas and the Spartans. Got any good scars?

Gabrielle, grin tugging at the corners of her mouth

GABRIELLE

Enough for half dozen stories.

Xena, proudly

XENA

That's my battling bard.

Gabrielle removes Xena's hand from her wrist and holds it, rubbing it comfortingly.

GABRIELLE

Xena, you want to stop healing?

XENA

No, I … it is my penance.

Gabrielle, keeping a straight face, her eyes twinkling

GABRIELLE

Self-flagellation suits you.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Is that your roundabout way of asking me for a way to spice things with Athena?

Gabrielle, not amused, seriously

GABRIELLE

You crossed the line there. Look at me, Xena.

Xena, caught in those eyes, shrinking into the pallet

XENA

I'm sorry.

Gabrielle, squeezing Xena's hand with hers, calmly

GABRIELLE

We share things with you for a reason. The incident earlier tonight happened because you are not learning when me or wife talk about and show our love for each other. We stopped censoring around you, unlike in public or in front of our families. The remark that just left your lips hurt me. Is that the way you see my marriage?

Xena, ashamed

XENA

You are right; it is not you or what you have, the rot is me.

Xena takes her hand away, turns her back to Gabrielle and curls under the blankets, her stomach in knots.

Xena, self-hating, tearfully

XENA

I am an evil, cursed monster. Stop trying to save me, it is wasted on such as me.

Gabrielle appears to blink out, staring into space.

Gabrielle, picking up the cloak and its contents, affectionately

GABRIELLE

You are family and we love you. Athena and Lila will be here in a few minutes.

Pause. Gabrielle, wholeheartedly

GABRIELLE

You are a part of me, Xena. I won't give up on you and I won't let you give up on yourself. Never.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – SIDE CHAMBER – MORNING

Xena wakes up at the sound of footsteps and smiles when Gabrielle opens the door. Gabrielle tosses her the bundle and Xena gets out and starts dressing. Gabrielle is sparkling clean and smelling … flowery. She is carrying Xena's armor and weapons.

Gabrielle, cheerfully

GABRIELLE

Morning.

Xena, sniffing the air in Gabrielle's direction and grinning

XENA

They are coming back with breakfast. The walls and doors are thick, lucky you.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

What do you think I am going to do with my wife?

Xena, wryly

XENA

Play “worship the Goddess”?

GABRIELLE

When in the temple … baths are in the outside complex.

XENA

Thank you for having them stay.

GABRIELLE

You are welcome.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Events are picking up speed. I evacuated the village before dawn and the advance scouts arrived after sunrise. Both armies are moving about and it looks like they picked this spot to settle things. You just know that was going to happen.

XENA

Of course, we have the best luck. Send Lila with food and I will see you in seven.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

So much free time …

XENA

Oh, I am sure you will find something to get in trouble over. Both of you.

CUT TO:

INT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – MAIN CHAMBER – EARLY AFTERNOON

Xena is treating some arrow wounds, nothing serious, just a light skirmish near the village between scouts. Few arrows exchanged, some taunts, and off they went back to report. No serious cases at the moment, so she can do the minor ones.

Xena has Hippocrates hold the arrow while she cuts the leather armor away with a chakram. She removes the tunic as well and then breaks off the shaft. She cleans the site. The arrowhead is in deep, so she pushes it thru. Xena wipes the blood and then sprinkles some herbs and presses on both sides. The THESSALIAN SOLDIER she is working on grinds his teeth into the leather strip. She has Hippocrates take over when she spots the HEAD PRIEST quickly approaching them. He looks worried.

HEAD PRIEST, scared

HEAD PRIEST

The kings sent messengers. Each demands the turnover of enemy prisoners. We are doomed!

Xena, patiently

XENA

Did you remind them this is a temple of Apollo?

HEAD PRIEST, despairing

HEAD PRIEST

They have armies!

Xena, annoyed

XENA

You have a God.

HEAD PRIEST

They won't listen!

Xena knocks him out again.

Hippocrates, laughing

HIPPOCRATES

Don't worry, no one likes him. Feel better?

XENA

Much. How is the bleeding?

HIPPOCRATES

Down to a trickle. Poultices?

Xena, nodding

XENA

Find and tell the messengers to wait at the top of the temple stairs. Start bringing everyone into the temple by the sides and then lock and block the entrances. Wake up Gabrielle. Return when you are done.

Hippocrates takes off and Xena prepares two spit poultices. She dresses the wound and bandages it. Satisfied, she washes her hands. Xena mixes some herbs and has the THESSALIAN SOLDIER drink the contents. She gets up and heads outside.

CUT TO:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – TEMPLE STAIRS – AFTERNOON

Xena casually strolls toward the THESSALIAN and MITOAN MESSENGERS. They are apart and glaring at each other. They turn to face her and both open their mouth at the same time. Xena puts her hand on the sword and they both eat their words.

Xena, threatening

XENA

This is a temple of Apollo, sacred ground. We have a God, Athena's Chosen, Xena, that's me, and you got nothing. Apollo is displeased, I am in the killing mood, and you interrupted Gabrielle's quality time with the wife. Frustrated does not begin to describe her mood. Tell your kings the only thing they will receive from us is death.

They start to protest.

Xena, pulling the sword out of the scabbard a few inches, smiling cruelly

XENA

Or I can send them your heads.

They must be fond of them because they both run down the stairs like the Furies are after them.

Xena, walking back and whistling happily

XENA

Who says I don't do diplomacy?

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – TEMPLE STAIRS – EVENING

Xena and Gabrielle stand on the top of the stairs, watching the burning village. The fighting has started with the first flames and now a battle rages on. It is a cloudless, clear night, with the raising moon almost full.

XENA

Where do you want us?

Gabrielle, calculating the distance and angles, looking down the torchlit steps

GABRIELLE

Third way up.

Xena, muttering

XENA

I am not keen on getting shot in the back.

Gabrielle, reassuringly

GABRIELLE

One archer, me. I don't trust anyone else with your life.

Xena, forehead furrowing, thinking

XENA

You know that massive decorative shield inside?

GABRIELLE

Yes?

XENA

Can you shoot behind it?

Gabrielle, considering

GABRIELLE

Hmm, that would work. Set it on the left side.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Don't drop it on me.

GABRIELLE

Here is a hint: stay in the middle.

Xena, grinning

XENA

Bard of Damocles.

Gabrielle, philosophically

GABRIELLE

The value of the sword is not that it falls, but rather, that it hangs.

Xena, melodramatically, gesturing

XENA

The Goddess Gabrielle arrives from on high to save her hero.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Please?

GABRIELLE

Not interested.

Xena, sweetly

XENA

I will make it very, very, very rewarding.

Gabrielle, whistling

GABRIELLE

Triple very, I'm impressed.

Xena, hopefully

XENA

So?

GABRIELLE

Still no.

Xena, tempting

XENA

I will throw in an extra long hug.

Gabrielle, raising an eyebrow, pointedly

GABRIELLE

That benefits you.

XENA

True but it is the spirit that counts.

Gabrielle, magnanimously

GABRIELLE

Deal. Your champion and Goddess will protect you.

Gabrielle abruptly bear hugs Xena and actually manages to slightly lift her off the ground.

Xena, laughing

XENA

Let me down you crazy bard.

Gabrielle spins them in place, laughing, before releasing the slightly dazed Xena.

Gabrielle, looking at Xena, fondly

GABRIELLE

My hero.

Xena has to look away to hide the tears and Gabrielle lets her regain her composure. Xena gazes at the ongoing battle again.

Xena, looking intently into the darkness, then at Gabrielle

XENA

What are your plans tonight?

Gabrielle, peering at the village, seeing figures with stretchers head over in a line

GABRIELLE

I see. Good news, less enemies. Bad news, busy night.

Xena, wearily

XENA

They know our weakness, friend.

GABRIELLE

Rest, I got the first half.

XENA

I am burning the straw in that room.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Silly warrior princess. Goodnight.

CUT TO:

EXT. APOLLO'S TEMPLE – TEMPLE STAIRS – PRE DAWN

Xena relaxes on the steps of the temple. Around her are wounded MITOAN and THESSALIAN SOLDIERS who decided to help with defense. Throw in a handful of TEMPLE GUARDS, who are nothing more than village militia in heavier armor and things are not looking good. Not that it's a surprise.

Gabrielle stands on top of the stairs, humongous bronze shield to her left. Hippocrates is behind her with several quivers of arrows. Xena trusts the bard to shoot more accurately and often than a dozen poorly trained archers.

Two dark shapes snake their way across the valley towards them. Xena figures about fifty to sixty men in each formation. They started with over a hundred each but skirmishes took their toll. The composition is infantry, bronze armor on the Mitoan side and studded leather on the Thessalians. Few ARCHERS and MOUNTED KING'S GUARD complete the picture.

Ink dissolving, the world slowly blooms into color as they approach the stairs. About seventy yards from the bottom of the stairs Xena hears the first arrow. A MITOAN SOLDIER goes down, yelling in pain.

Xena, impressed

XENA

Bard is on fire this morning.

Second arrow drops a THESSALIAN SOLDIER. It appears that the plan was to storm the stairs and then fight over them, but that goes out the window. Mistaking the attacker, both armies charge each other screaming their lungs out. The rear guard advances on the stairs and before long, Xena and the defenders have their hands full.

Gabrielle concentrates on the fighting in front of stairs rather than on them. She is working thru the quivers quickly and with devastating results. Xena and others are more than holding their own. Then, the MITOAN KING makes the mistake of drawing closer to the action; at hundred ninety yards, he is beyond her normal range, almost double it.

The day awakens cloudy and grouchy, holding onto sunshine like a miser. Gabrielle senses the arrival of a God long before Hippocrates gasps and prostates behind her.

Apollo, friendly

APOLLO

Hello Gabrielle, Light of Olympus.

GABRIELLE

Welcome Apollo.

Apollo, sadly

APOLLO

You know what must be done?

GABRIELLE

The kings challenged your authority.

Apollo, unhappily

APOLLO

I'm sorry. Strike them down, Chosen.

Gabrielle, regretfully and with heavy heart

GABRIELLE

My debt incurred, my willful decision, my wicked hand. I choose.

Apollo, gratefully

APOLLO

I bless this divine justice. Thank you.

He disappears. The clouds break and sunlight shines on Gabrielle, bathing her in a warm glow. It concentrates on the arrowhead which flies straight and true to the mortal that dares to soil the sacred ground.

Time slows as a streak of gold flashes toward the MITOAN KING. It takes him thru the chest and he falls dead from his horse. Ripples of shock go thru MITOAN SOLDIERS. The Gods have spoken and the message is clear. There is no human capable of that shot.

Xena gasps in surprise at the kill, and one of the wounded MITOAN SOLDIER fighting at her side turns on her, taking revenge for his king's death. Her reflexes save her as she throws herself away from the blade, but not before it does damage. The MITOAN SOLDIER takes an arrow thru his shoulder and Xena ends his life. She whispers a silent thanks to her guardian above and takes stock of her injury. She is hurt and bleeding but it is something she can fight thru. The problem is that the wounded MITOAN SOLDIERS turn on them as well as the wounded THESSALIAN SOLDIERS who gain courage from her wound.

Gabrielle has her hands full thinning the crowd, but between them both and TEMPLE GUARDS, the treachery is punished. Gabrielle shifts her fire to the decreasing crowd below when the combatants realize what is happening on the stairs and decide that they can kill each other later. The THESSALIAN KING wisely hangs back.

Things get dicey. The TEMPLE GUARDS fall, mere fodder that buys Xena time, occupies swords and minds, allows her to do what she does best. Fight. There is no doubt, ho hesitation, no holding back. She throws herself into the battle with abandon. She has a lifetime of training, her divine heritage, and the most important thing of all. Conviction: her faith in Gabrielle and her way, yes, but also the faith in the greater good. Xena has a cause she will fight and die for.

Time passes. Xena battles effectively but the blood loss eventually hampers her. The speed and power are not there and they are slowly surrounding her. She is starting to take additional hits and her armor is developing alarming number of holes.

Realizing this, with no time to waste, Gabrielle kicks the heavy shield to the ground and it falls on the steps with a clang. She jumps on top of it, crouches and rides it down the stairs.

Gabrielle, war cry

GABRIELLE

ATHENA!!!

Xena was a legend but she was a mortal legend. Now they are facing a Goddess, roaring down from Olympus like an avalanche.

Gabrielle sends the heavy shield crashing into the crowd around Xena and they scatter, diving and lunging away; still, many bodies tumble down the stairs. Gabrielle dismounts lightly and attacks with a fury that behooves her divine entrance and appearance. In no time she clears the space around Xena, fiercely protecting her friend. Xena is about done, going down on her knee, the effects of multiple injuries overwhelming even her iron constitution.

The MITOAN SOLDIERS don't want to pick a fight with Gabrielle so they concentrate on the THESSALIAN SOLDIERS and let them deal with her. However, the THESSALIAN SOLDIERS are not that eager either.

Seeing this, the THELLIAN KING tries to rally the troops. He moves to the bottom of the stairs and slowly starts walking his horse up them. He figures to inspire his troops and Gabrielle is without her bow. He takes down a few MITOAN SOLDIERS and his troops take cheer and start to press again.

Seeing his approach and Xena ready to topple over, Gabrielle clears room in front of her. Her left hand drops the buckler and she reaches for the knife in her belt. Debts must be paid.

Gabrielle, numbly

GABRIELLE

I choose.

The world is fading but Xena hears the words and senses the motion; she knows that she cannot allow this, cannot permit Gabrielle to kill again. The chakram is a part of her and it takes no effort to look at the THELLIAN KING. With the last of her strength she moves in front of Gabrielle and throws it. Unerringly it flies, gathering sunlight and reflecting it, leaving no doubt to its divine influence.

The golden disc cuts thru THESSALIAN KING's armor, flesh and bone, coming to rest in his heart. Mortally stricken, he crashes to the ground and the fighting stops. Their rulers dead, both sides stand in stunned silence.

Gabrielle, projecting over the battlefield, in bard voice

GABRIELLE

Cursed are the blasphemous desecrators of Apollo's temple. Eternal damnation in the bowels of Tartarus on the wretches who spilled life on the blessed ground. So speaks Gabrielle, Athena's Chosen. So speaks Apollo.

Pale and shaken, both sides drop their weapons. The arrogant kings lie in the bosom of Death, punished for their sacrilege. The war is over. And the greater good claims its sacrifice.

Xena collapses, her blood staining the altar of marble steps.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page