Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Path Not Taken ”

Episode 8, Part 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – MORNING

Argo is trotting around the field of grass and wildflowers in a large circle. On his back Gabrielle is working out a best position to shoot from and at what part of horse's gait to release the arrow. She is posting correctly, except for small moments when her concentration is on the bow.

Xena, watching her

XENA

Go Amazon. Who needs trees when you got Argo?

Xena is maintaining Gabrielle's sword plus throwing knives.

Xena, commenting as she cleans, inspects, and sharpens, appreciatively

XENA

I hate to be pulling those out my hide; those things are just nasty. Razor sharp, long and narrow yet thick, excellent quality. I would have loved to see the face of the metalsmith when the order came in. Nice balance too. Can't believe she let me sharpen them. Then again, with the amount of people she sticks them into, I am surprised there is any edge left to work with. Very soon, there won't be a thug left in Greece who hasn't had a bit of Gabrielle's steel in him. Speaking of whom …

Xena waves to Gabrielle to catch her attention and signals her to end the run. Gabrielle rides over and dismounts. She starts to work on Argo as she talks to Xena.

GABRIELLE

Few more days of practice and I will set up some targets. Right now it is focus on one thing and loose the other.

XENA

Do you think about the arrow placement anymore?

GABRIELLE

No, I see the target and the arrow arrives there.

XENA

Concentrate on the horse, forget the arrow. When you find the target, the arrow will take care of itself. Trust me.

GABRIELLE

Hey, that sounds good. Xena, what do you say we go down by the stream and laze the day away. Nap, practice, some overdue chores, nap, practice, nap. Did I miss anything?

XENA

Nap? And no.

GABRIELLE

Fishing? And yes.

XENA

Plan approved.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – STREAM – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is peacefully gazing at the clouds from her back. She is wearing all her gear and lying on the top of a steep riverbank. Xena is down the hill, more dozing than fishing. She is wearing her tunic and her bare feet are crossed at the ankles. Sounds of someone moving thru the bush rapidly reach Gabrielle.

Gabrielle, warning

GABRIELLE

Trouble heading for us!

Xena does not even open her eyes.

Xena, grumpily

XENA

I'm fishing. Hero is off today, tell trouble to come back tomorrow.

The thick bushes are few feet away from Gabrielle when a MAN and a WOMAN holding hands burst thru. Gabrielle, up on her feet now, points them silently to the side. Numerous heavy footsteps are following.

Gabrielle, whispering loudly to Xena

GABRIELLE

New game. Catch a thug, toss a thug; points for distance and originality.

Xena jumps to her feet and bounces few times; she is grinning. It's playtime.

First THUG comes thru the bush only to find strong hands grabbing his shoulders and pushing him down the hill. Next one is tripped up and this continues, as half a dozen THUGS are rolled downhill to Xena, who takes great delight in continuing their motion in whatever direction strikes her fancy.

Gabrielle surveys the carnage. There is a THUG in the tree, two in the stream, one on the other bank and two THUGS stacked together in rather suggestive position.

Xena, pleased

XENA

Fun.

GABRIELLE

I must say, that tree toss and far bank shot were truly inspiring.

The MAN and the WOMAN holding hands are staring at both of Gabrielle and Xena as if they lost their minds.

MAN

What sort of sport was that?

GABRIELLE

Wrestling and thug throw with a touch of thug posing. I'm Gabrielle, that's Xena. And you are?

MAN & WOMAN

Leaving.

GABRIELLE

Will that solve anything regarding those men who attacked you?

The MAN and WOMAN stop. Xena is walking up the slope.

MAN, considering

MAN

You did save our lives, even though your ways are strange to us. Forgive me, I am prince Agranon of Kolonus and this is my fiancée, princess Jana of Beocia.

XENA

Aren't your families feuding? You two are definitely not fighting.

AGRANON

We hope to end the feud nobody remembers, yet follows.

JANA

Peace will grow out of our joining.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

Love conquers all.

XENA

With some help from us. Who are those men?

JANA

They are from Tracus.

AGRANON

Mezentius has men and the stone walls to keep justice away.

GABRIELLE

Hasn't stopped us before.

Gabrielle, to Xena

GABRIELLE

This calls for a hero.

Xena, to Agranon and Jana

XENA

Excuse us, bard council.

Xena motions to Gabrielle with her head and walks a small distance away. Gabrielle joins her.

Xena, seizing the opportunity, shrewdly

XENA

Tracus is the city that does not judge. Whatever your crime, no matter how dark your past, the gate is open. It is the center of slave trade in the region and Draco's buyer was likely from there. Numerous brothels fed by the flesh market cater to the most unusual of tastes. Fighting pits draw thousands of blood starved spectators and gamblers. Rome can keep its Colosseum, Greece has Tracus. Gabrielle, if we did not meet, this was to be your home. And mine if I chose, the only place in this land that would welcome me with open arms.

Gabrielle thinks on this a while and then decides.

Gabrielle, grimly determined

GABRIELLE

Xena, this evil must die. Not just Mezentius and his thugs, the whole place. Burned to the ground, walls but rubble, pits filled with dirt and the screams of the slaves fallen silent. I know what I am asking from you. There will be no going back for you after this; your old life will die in the ruins as well. You won't have a home anymore, anywhere in Greece. You will be truly alone. Only I will stand by you, my friend.

XENA

You cannot join me in this; I go in alone and I come out alone.

GABRIELLE

You would protect me form what must be done? From what will be done? You already know the answer to that.

Xena, going with it, sadly

XENA

Gabrielle, innocent people will die, we won't be able to save everyone. The slavers might torch the slave pens in spite. Greater good will be served, but at what price? And you, what will it cost you?

GABRIELLE

The bards' tales sing of valor and great deeds. I now know there is another truth behind that one.

XENA

Gabrielle, all I can say is: listen to your heart and follow it. I will support either choice.

Gabrielle, with finality

GABRIELLE

Then it is decided: Tracus dies.

Xena nods her head and they head back to the lovebirds.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

Agranon, have you father declare war and march on Beocia. Jana, same thing, march on Kolonus. Your combined armies will instead attack Tracus and raze it to the ground. We will escort you back some ways and then head for the city.

AGRANON

War?! Are you mad?

JANA

What happened to peace?

XENA

Common enemy. On the battlefield, a bond is forged between men. You fight together and you die together; you fight for each other. You wanted to bring your people together. The peace treaty between your cities will be signed in blood at Tracus and then sealed with your joining. Gabrielle will scribe the offer and battle plan to each king.

AGRANON

Xena of legend is leading our campaign; my father will be pleased. You have my sword.

Jana, thoughtfully

JANA

Peace thru war.

They all walk down to the stream to get Xena's and Gabrielle's equipment. The THUGS are still out, except the two in the stream that took off.

Ares appears on top of the riverbank and looks at the departing figures.

Ares, pleased

ARES

The bard had it in her after all.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – PLATEAU – NOON

Xena and Gabrielle are standing on open field looking down at the gentle slope that flows into a large the valley below. The plateau they are standing on has a large, gradual dip in the middle, facing the valley.

XENA

Kolonus has a smaller army so this is the perfect place for them to make a stand. And it is one day out from Tracus.

GABRIELLE

They all take off in the darkness, march all night, and take the gate at dawn. Good plan, except …. Xena, Mezentius is a warlord and a good one by your account. This place will be crawling with scouts.

XENA

Mezentius drew the attention of Athens and was crushed. His army of three hundred survivors escaped here and settled down. They own all the establishments in Tracus and will fight to death to keep what's theirs. And they fight well. There are around two hundred who stay in the barracks and drill daily. The thugs causing problem in both kingdoms are the scum that washed up in Tracus, hired on the cheap. Those scouts are worthless, your sister could sneak by them.

GABRIELLE

I love Lila, but her stealth skill begins and ends with her ability not to trip on her own feet. So what you are saying is that the former soldiers live the high life and hire others to do their dirty work.

XENA

What they have is the best retirement any mercenary can ask for. All for the price of rotation in the barracks. Past the plaza, all the houses are theirs. Mezentius is smart, he shares the profits with them and they remain loyal. At any time there are hundreds spending their blood money, doubling and even tripling his fighting force. He feels safe enough to leave the gates open year round.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

We free the gladiators and you lead them to secure the slave pens and hold on till reinforcements arrive. Gabrielle, you will be in the thick of it, the place where the worst fighting is. Nothing worse than slave rebellion and those are put down hard. Stay alive until I secure the gate and the army arrives.

GABRIELLE

Why me? Worst fighting and Gabrielle together have a tone of morbid finality to it.

XENA

There is only one person I know who can inspire gladiators to lay down their lives for her. Yes, you will send those slaves to their death. The greater good will claim its sacrifice and their blood will buy the freedom of those locked in the pens. Gabrielle, you lead from the front. You will stand with them shoulder to shoulder and you will determine you own fate. I am sorry, you must do yourself what you ask others to do for you.

Gabrielle, accepting the burden of command, quietly

GABRIELLE

I accept that.

XENA

The gate must be taken and that is my place. Saving the gladiators and securing the slaves are optional. You don't have to do it. You can do the first, you can do both, you can do neither. Mezentius could decide not to torch the pens or gut the gladiators. However, by taking this action you ensure that his attention is away from the gate and that he remains focused on the wrong threat.

GABRIELLE

What will happen to you?

Xena refuses to meet Gabrielle's eyes. She knows the question is not about the gate.

XENA

I will survive, I always do.

GABRIELLE

It's settled then. I will lead the defense of the pens and occupy Mezentius.

XENA

Keep moving and keep swinging. Rest will take care of itself.

Gabrielle just nods. They sort and pack their gear in silence and Gabrielle leads Argo away to his staying place in the woods nearby.

Xena keeps looking at the figure walking away from her.

Xena, whispering a promise

XENA

Gabrielle, if you fall I will follow you shortly.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – GATE – LATE MORNING

The road leading to the city is mostly empty. Numerous shady looking THUGS are either coming or going and few bored GUARDS are standing around. The GUARDS don't inspect anyone closely. In fact, they appear to go out of their way not to stare at anyone. Xena and Gabrielle are walking toward the huge wooden gates, which are wide open. Gabrielle has her furry backpack on.

Gabrielle, morosely

GABRIELLE

So this is the famous Tracus, den of cutthroats and thieves, with an odd assassin sprinkled in. Whatever's your vice, whatever you please, this place will deliver.

XENA

Gabrielle, you have not seen evil like this. There will be scores of women and children sold like cattle, whipped, and hit. It will break your heart. You must not, no matter what you see or hear, do or act in a way that betrays our true purpose.

GABRIELLE

I learned to hide my pain.

Uncomfortable silence falls as they walk to and then pass thru the gates. They stop for a minute once inside the walls. Wide street spreads slightly uphill toward an enormous plaza in the distance. Taverns, brothels, and game dens line the sides, along with an occasional inn. In and around the gutters, buzzing with flies, drunks are sleeping the night off. Further up, the plaza is filled with cloth and flesh, forming a colorful mosaic that captivates the eye.

XENA

We will find an inn and settle down, then walk the back streets. We will leave the plaza for later, when there is less misery on display.

GABRIELLE

You have contacts here?

XENA

I recruited here after I dropped off some … merchandise.

GABRIELLE

Oh.

Xena starts walking, turning off the main street and going along the wall to the right.

XENA

People know each other and people talk. Things like which warlord is good to work for, which one to avoid, and where the easiest or most rewarding jobs are. It is like its own little world and you are part of it. That was my life.

GABRIELLE

Is there anyone specific you have in mind?

XENA

Marcus talked about leaving the life, finding some land and starting a family. Last I heard he was moving thru the ranks, he was a great instructor.

GABRIELLE

They valuable?

Xena turns into a side street leading away from the wall.

XENA

Any hack can swing a sword, but quality trainers are worth their weight in gold. They make everyone more effective in battle and that is how you win wars. We will check later around the barracks and the pits, he will be in one of those. Here we are.

Xena points at the door and Gabrielle looks up at the sign. She reads the letters and checks out the picture.

GABRIELLE

Golden Goose. Hey, that's a picture of a chicken with a golden ball under it. Close enough.

XENA

Off the beaten track and somewhat clean. Food is okay and mead only slightly watered down. Best value in the city.

GABRIELLE

That's a high recommendation. Onward and inward then.

Gabrielle opens the door and steps inside eagerly.

Xena, shaking her head

XENA

What does that even mean?

Xena follows Gabrielle inside.

CUT TO:

INT. TRACUS - GOLDEN GOOSE- LATE MORNING

Xena steps inside and the conversation stops as she is recognized by the DRUNKS. She looks around impassively, and then her face breaks into a smile.

Xena, loudly

XENA

When you got no place to go, you go to …

DRUNKS

Tracus!

Loud cheers from the DRUNKS follow.

Xena moves toward the bar, where Gabrielle is already talking to bartender. DRUNK #1 is on the floor nursing his jaw and giving Gabrielle unfriendly looks. As Xena passes the tables more shouts and cheers ring out.

DRUNKS

Welcome home, Xena!

That's our Xena!

You are back!

Xena walks up to the Gabrielle and kicks the DRUNK #1 on the floor, knocking him out. Gabrielle turns to her and hands her the key.

GABRIELLE

Let's go, before I have to knock down more people for grabbing my body parts. How come you don't have that problem?

XENA

Use edged weapons, it sends a proper message.

GABRIELLE

Good idea, easier on the hand. After you.

Gabrielle points at the stairs and they walk up them, Xena leading.

CUT TO:

INT. GOLDEN GOOSE – GABRIELLE'S ROOM - NOON

Gabrielle steps into her room and closes the door. She looks around the small room and drops her backpack on the bed. She walks to small wash bowl and cleans her hands, face, and neck, then wipes with provided linen square. Gabrielle turns toward the middle of the room when Ares appears in front of the door, dressed in black armor.

Ares, grandly

ARES

I am Ares, the God of War, and I have chosen you to be my vessel.

GABRIELLE

Boy, are you going to be disappointed.

ARES

Not into Gods?

GABRIELLE

Last one put me to sleep.

ARES

I have ways to keep you awake. I have … experience.

GABRIELLE

Been seduced, done that, don't need to repeat. Besides, you are about as subtle as a mace to the face.

Ares changes tactics. He snaps his fingers and his armor disappears; he is now wearing a simple white roman toga and sandals.

Gabrielle, not impressed, dismissively

GABRIELLE

Missing something.

ARES

Yes. You.

He appears right in front of Gabrielle. She does not move away and he reaches a hand and gently moves the hair away from her face.

Gabrielle, evenly

GABRIELLE

Wrong answer.

ARES

Such a beautiful face it is.

Ares gazes into her eyes and they lock gazes.

ARES

Your eyes burn with fire of passion. And no, your gift does not work on me.

Area lightly touches the side of Gabrielle's face with the back of his hand.

GABRIELLE

They are burning with something, all right.

Ares traces down the side of her face with his hand, starting at the cheek. He slowly moves over the jaw and down the neck, stopping at the pulse.

ARES

I can feel the blood racing. Is it the danger or the excitement?

GABRIELLE

Can Gods feel pain?

ARES

Yes. Got ideas? I like games.

Ares brushes Gabrielle's collarbone.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

How about a game of my knee in your groin if you don't back off?

Ares withdraws his hand.

ARES

You body welcomes the attention and the contact. We both know it. Why fight this?

GABRIELLE

I humor you because you are a God, but I don't trust you.

ARES

Fair enough, there will be time later. Waiting increases the hunger, I say.

GABRIELLE

I will make sure to eat plenty.

Ares laughs and Gabrielle blushes, realizing what she just implied. Ares takes a step back and looks her over.

Ares evaluates her like a thoroughbred horse.

Ares, musing

ARES

Innocence and strength in one formidable package.

Ares, considering

ARES

Legions gravel at my feet for a scrap of attention and welcome the tiniest crumb with reverence. They writhe with religious ecstasy at my very sight. You receive a very personal visit and not a hair out of place. Except the ones I mussed. Impressive.

Ares, turning up the charm and heaping praise

ARES

Gabrielle, I am a God of war, and I know how to evaluate talent. You have potential, Hades you have no idea what potential you have. This is what it's about, immortality. To live forever in song, poetry, and tale, the greatest hero that walked the mortal plane. You.

GABRIELLE

What about Xena?

ARES

The woman is a control freak. Sex, war, you name it, Xena has to be number one. Everything is on her terms and all the credit hers. And the mind games, don't get me started on those. She chomped at the bridle of Ares' Chosen and that doomed our … arrangement. The only way it was going to work is if she became the new God of war and that was not in the stars.

GABRIELLE

Doomed love, how tragic.

ARES

Gabrielle, Xena is not capable of love. Her heart is darker then the deepest depth of Tartarus. She stands alone, unloved and unloving. The closest to any normal emotion she feels is toward that horse of hers, Argo.

GABRIELLE

I stand with her, now and for all time.

ARES

You are the heroic sort, and I admire that, but this is one battle you should walk away from. She will change you, no, she is changing you and you know it. That is her curse. Xena takes good people and fills them with darkness, molding them in her image. Once they realize what she has done and what they became, they either run away or she abandons them, moving on to her next conquest. By then it is too late. You find them all over Greece, forsaken souls wondering the land and spreading misery. Don't become one.

GABRIELLE

Mezentius and his ilk will pay for their depravities and the world will be a safer place for it. It was my decision to cleanse the land of them and Xena supported me even thou this was the closest to home she had left.

ARES

You tell yourself that. She told you all about Tracus, in great and lengthy detail, knowing who and what you are. That to walk away was against your nature. And she made sure it came at the cost to your soul. You made a decision all right, to murder hundreds of people in the name of greater good.

GABRILLE

I made a choice, a hard choice but a right one. This way, I protect my friend and take more of the burden on my shoulders. The townspeople of Tracus are not innocent. They made their choice as well, at some point in their life and that is the reason they are behind these walls. Those that stand and fight will be cut down. Those that surrender will be judged. Those are the terms and my conscience is clear on this.

Gabrielle is now the one that moves and she steps forward, pressing a pointing finger in his chest.

GABRIELLE

Ares, don't try to twist words and drive a wedge between me and Xena. You think you can shake me by invading my personal space and telling me about Xena's past and her true nature, therefore making me uncomfortable both physically and emotionally? Then add some ego stroking combined with moral guilt and I am yours? Ares, I went thru years of emotional and physical Tartarus. I won't break.

Gabrielle puts both hands around his neck and draws his head towards hers. She leans forward, closes her eyes and kisses him deeply and passionately, till they are both out of breath. Gabrielle opens her eyes and makes sure he is looking in hers.

GABRIELLE

That was the first and only kiss you will get from me. Think about it.

Gabrielle breaks contact, turns and walks toward the exit. At the door, she stops.

Gabrielle, over her shoulder

GABRIELLE

Show yourself out.

Gabrielle walks out, leaving flushed Ares looking at her numbly.

CUT TO:

INT. GOLDEN GOOSE – XENA'S ROOM - AFTERNOON

There is a knock on the door and after a pause, Gabrielle enters. She saunters over to Xena standing by the bed, who gives her an appraising look.

Xena, suspiciously

XENA

You look happy and guilty at the same time. That's a bad combination on you.

GABRIELLE

I have been a bad bard.

XENA

Gabrielle, are we going to have a talk about boys? Or girls? Or both? I am getting confused here, help me out.

GABRIELLE

Not that kind of bad bard. Not exactly … you might want to start that talk about boys. Bad boys. Bad boys in leather.

Gabrielle giggles.

Xena, sighing heavily

XENA

Where is my mother when I need her?

GABRIELLE

Before you start the lecture wagon rolling down the hill, Ares visited me in my room.

Xena, alarmed

XENA

You okay? He didn't …

Gabrielle, calmly

GABRILLE

He made a grand entrance and announced that I was his vessel.

Xena, voice breaking

XENA

Did you?

GABRIELLE

Ares said I was better than you in bed and by the way, I am pregnant.

Xena grabs Gabrielle by the shoulders with both hands.

XENA

What?!

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

Which part?

Xena, despairing

XENA

Gabrielle, what have you done?!

Gabrielle, seriously

GABRIELLE

I am a grown woman and I want you to trust me to do the right thing. Xena, I learned my lesson with Anastasia. I just learned another one today.

Xena starts crying.

Gabrielle is shocked and is not quite sure what to do.

Xena, sobbing

XENA

You will leave like they all did, back to Potidaea with your child.

Xena can't go on. She drops her hands and looks ready to collapse.

GABRIELLE

I am a virgin.

XENA

After you swore …

Gabrielle, shouting

GABRIELLE

I AM A VIRGIN!

Xena stops crying and now there is anger.

XENA

You lied!

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

You don't trust me. Even after everything, you don't. I made a joke, a bad joke and one I am terribly sorry about. You freak out and when I try to explain, you fall apart. What is going on with you? I said I learned a lesson today. That lesson was about me and what I am capable of. Ares came on strong and I kept my cool and stayed in control. We matched wits and he lost. Then I made him pay for his unwanted advances. Come here.

Gabrielle draws Xena into a hug and this time Xena responds, hugging her back tightly.

GABRIELLE

I could never lie to you, no more than I can rip my heart out and go on living. I hurt you and I feel sick to my stomach about it. Please forgive me. Xena, it hurts me that you would assume the worst.

Xena, puzzled

XENA

I don't know what happened. This is the first time in my life I lost control like that and it is frightening. I never lose control. I go off and sulk when confronted with heavy emotional stuff. I don't break down and not in front of people. What have you done to me Gabrielle?

Gabrielle looks up into Xena's eyes and sees confusion in them. Gabrielle puts her head down and hugs tighter.

GABRIELLE

I know some things, it is part of the gift. Xena, you are healing and I am proud of you; you opened yourself to me. That is a good thing and will make you stronger for it. Believe me, I earned my resilient character the hard way: alone. You have a friend who is there for you. Always.

Gabrielle breaks the hug and steps back. Xena seems reluctant to let go.

Xena, gathering herself

XENA

Sorry, that was a moment of weakness.

GABRIELLE

I see courage where you see vulnerability.

Gabrielle has a sudden realization.

GABRIELLE

You built this future on us traveling together, it is the very foundation of your new life. By Gods Xena, why did you not tell me?

Xena, embarrassed

XENA

After what you just witnessed, there is no longer a point in denying it. Greater good is my path, that's true. The reason I am on the path and follow it is you Gabrielle, walking it with me. I believe in you.

GABRIELLE

What I held back, I did for a reason. Now, I want to affirm you faith in me. You asked me why I stayed with you. Xena, truth is, when I look into people's eyes I see their soul. And more; depends on the person. But when I looked into yours back in Potidaea I got a whole lot more.

XENA

What happened?

GABRIELLE

Our souls are bound together for all eternity.

This is not what Xena expected. Xena, stunned and disbelieving

XENA

You joined our souls?!

GABRIELLE

I saw the truth and made a choice. Fates or Gods bound us, but we acted on it.

XENA

Never …

GABRIELLE

Before I ever spoke that word to you, the decision was made, the dice was cast. I am happy that your choice was the same as mine. Xena, what did you see when you looked that day into my eyes?

Xena, suddenly embarrassed

XENA

No clue, got hit.

Gabrielle, reading the reluctance, gives Xena a way out

GABRIELLE

Oh. Okay, that's enough sharing even for me. I will weapon up and hit the streets for rumors. We all good now, feelings smoothed, tears dried, feathers unruffled?

XENA

Yes. Wait for me, I will shadow you. Meet downstairs in the tavern by back door.

Gabrielle heads for the exit.

XENA

Wait, I must know. How did you make him pay?

GABRIELLE

I kissed him so passionately I think his toes curled. Then told him this was a onetime thing and left him there frustrated.

Xena explodes in laughter.

XENA

Bad bard indeed. You did well Gabrielle, I should have trusted your judgment and good sense.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

That means a lot to me.

 

Gabrielle leaves by the door.

Xena, looking at the door, pensively

XENA

What are you not telling me, Gabrielle?

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. TRACUS – PLAZA – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle emerge from a side street into the plaza. They are to the right of the main street. Throughout the plaza are several low wooden platforms, roughly square in shape. Each has a small pen off to the side. Few are active, human merchandise on display for buyers, and their pens hold naked men and women.

Xena, answering the unasked question

XENA

Most of the sales are done by noon, especially children. They brand them with their new owner's mark and then hold them in the slave pens until the caravan is ready to depart or brothel picks them up. The wagons are loaded at dawn, which gives you access to the compound at a price of increased security.

They walk out among the stalls. Food and weapons seem to be the predominant theme, with a dash of exotics from distant lands.

XENA

To the left are the barracks for visitors. Mezentius offers mercenaries reduced rates and weapons training if they contribute to the city defense when they stay. You work in the morning and play the afternoon and evening away. Easily doubles his fighting force. Those will be sent against the rebellion first.

Gabrielle avoids looking at the auctions and concentrates on the stalls. Something captures her eye and she tugs Xena over. Gabrielle picks up a small steel shield.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Women shop for dresses, jewelry and trinkets. You go for weapons and armor. There is no settling down in your future.

Gabrielle is appreciatively checking the workmanship.

Gabrielle, resolutely

GABRIELLE

Nope. This bard was made for walking.

Xena, smiling

XENA

I like that.

Gabrielle glances at Xena but does not say anything. She returns to her inspection.

Gabrielle, speculatively

GABRIELLE

Staff is both defense and offense. With the sword there is something missing and I think it is this shield. Small, round, and fairly light, it is the perfect complement. What do you think?

XENA

Hmm, you are right, now that I think about it.

The MERCHANT has decided that the fish has taken the bait and moves in.

MERCHANT, to Gabrielle, demonstrating with his hands

MERCHANT

You grip it like this, make a fist around handle. Use it to deflect blows, strike with it, or grapple their arm. It is based on the pelte shield, for quicker and more agile fighters. My brother is a metalsmith and his motto is: design the weapon around the warrior and not the warrior around the weapon. This one was made for you.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Your brother is a smart man and your wit is a sharp as his weapons. Ten drachmas.

MERCHANT, melodramatically, emphasizing with gestures

MERCHANT

Fates have brought us together for a reason. But what an insult to the skills of my brother if all I bring is ten drachmas. The shame it will bring upon my family.

Gabrielle checks the fit and swings it a few times experimentally.

GABRIELLE

Limited market for this. Limited to one I would say. Thirteen drachmas.

MERCHANT

I am not one to stand in the face of destiny. You two were made for each other. Thirteen drachmas it is.

Xena pays and Gabrielle says goodbye to the merchant. They continue walking toward the north side. Xena takes the shield, checks the balance and range of motion and then shield punches a slightly drunk THUG who happened to walk by her. The THUG goes down, out cold. Heads turn, recognize her and then everybody goes back to minding their own business.

XENA

Nice.

GABRIELLE

Give me that.

Gabrielle takes the shield away from Xena.

XENA

You have to christen the weapon. It's tradition.

GABRIELLE

You make shopping for weapons a survival experience for others.

Xena, philosophically

XENA

Life is a challenge and then someone stabs you.

GABRIELLE

Happens more often with you around.

Xena chuckles and then grows serious. She guides Gabrielle to the east side where the space opens up. Ahead of then is a high stone wall forming large, closed off compound within the city. Further up, a gate is open. Xena moves them near it. Inside are a series of very long, wooden buildings that look like stretched out barns. The double doors are open and the stench of humanity in close quarters reaches them.

XENA

The slaves are chained, all the doors are locked at night, and the only way out is this gate that locks from the outside and is heavily guarded. Slaves have no clothes, makes them easier to spot. Gabrielle, you will take the gate and move inside. Use the chokepoint to keep them from overrunning you and hold your ground.

GABRIELLE

This has heroic last stand written all over it. I will make a fine tale out of it.

XENA

That you will.

Xena walks off to the north and Gabrielle follows.

XENA

Right above are regular barracks and training grounds. Slaves are the wealth of this city and Mezentius guards his property well. The fighting pits are at the north end of the plaza.

They cut at a diagonal towards the middle top portion. Three large pits, lined with rows of stone benches on top, border this end of the plaza. They are empty right now.

XENA

The fights are at noon and in the evening. Men, women, and wild animals all vie for your gambling drachmas. No rules, winner lives another day. Simple, and there are always more fresh bodies coming in the caravans daily.

Gabrielle heads for the middle pit and Xena follows. They walk down the stairs breaking the continuity of the benches going around the pit. Gabrielle stops at the edge and looks down into the pit. Her expression is unreadable. Xena stands next to her.

Gabrielle, apprehensively

GABRIELLE

I can almost see the other future from here.

Xena, contemplatively

XENA

Few leave the pits; most end up fed to animals to give them the taste for man.

GABRIELLE

I am looking for sympathy and you describe my grisly end.

XENA

You would have survived, I am sure of that. One on one with a staff in your hand there is no one who can take you.

GABRIELLE

My heart would not survive Tracus.

XENA

You are stronger than you give yourself credit for. You would be Gabrielle the pit fighter until you earned you freedom and escaped. Then back to Gabrielle the bard and on to Athens.

GABRIELLE

Now that's the sympathy I was looking for.

XENA

Gabrielle, if you always remain who you are at the core of your being, who am I? You say I am a good person who went bad. Is that coming from the very depth of me or was there always a dark seed buried at my center that sprouted its poisonous fruit?

Gabrielle quietly considers this.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

We are the same.

XENA

We ended up in a different place.

GABRIELLE

Details.

XENA

I want to ask you a question but I am afraid of the answer.

GABRIELLE

I admit there are some things I hold back from you. But I am always honest.

XENA

Do you think I can be saved?

GABRIELLE

Gabrielle, without hesitation

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Pause. Gabrielle, elaborating

GABRIELLE

I not only think that, I believe that in here.

Gabrielle covers her heart with her hand.

XENA

That certain?

GABRIELLE

It is the fundamental truth of my life.

XENA

What if I could not be saved? Would you stay?

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

What did I do to deserve such faith?

GABRIELLE

You returned it.

Silence falls as they both gaze into the pit.

Xena, now certain

XENA

This pit was not your future. However, the moment you drew those knives in that clearing you changed mine. You were going to win that fight by yourself, you just did not know it yet. I think you were meant to find that out. Come on Gabrielle, you were ready to leave for at least a year. What were you doing in Potidaea, three months away from you wedding? Waiting for a sign? Well, it arrived, in the person of a dozen thugs. Then I blunder in and get my head bashed in. And you could no longer ignore the obvious.

GABRIELLE

You are right. I knew I had to leave for the longest time and yet there was something holding me back. What is most vivid in my mind about that time, the primary being the soul connection, is the sight of my sister and the village girls, frozen still. All they had to do was run away and they were safe. Instead, they trembled in fear and stayed in place as they were told. And I realized that I could not allow anyone to do that to someone and get away with it. I had the power to protect the innocent and in you the means.

XENA

It's nice to feel wanted, even for my muscles.

GABRIELLE

You make the best plans.

XENA

Keep going.

GABRIELLE

There is the razor sharp wit and being a great conversationalist.

XENA

Getting warmer.

GABRIELLE

You are my hero.

XENA

Sold. I accept the position of “means”.

They both laugh, the echoing sound foreign to this place of death.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRACUS – PLAZA – EARLY EVENING

Two long, squat buildings sit in front of dirt packed training yard on the northwest end of the plaza. Behind them is the armory with walls made of stone and heavy wooden door reinforced with iron. The gladiators in the matches this evening are warming up and receiving last minute instructions. Xena and Gabrielle slowly approach.

XENA

The gladiators get any weapon they want, but no armor or shield. No bow or javelin either but spear is okay. It is all about minimizing the threat and keeping them to short range. They have about one hundred men and women in training at any time. Expect about eighty to be good and the rest are fodder. They know who they are, use them to free the slaves from the pens. I recommend two spears and xiphos plus a weapon of individual proficiency per gladiator. Toss the extra spears when they come thru the gate, the bodies will slow them down.

GABRIELLE

The tales leave a lot of details out …

XENA

Gabrielle, if either king knew what they were going into, they would run home so fast Hermes himself could not catch them. Half that army will die before the day is old. Think about it. Some of the best assassins in Greece are here, spending their profits and job hunting. Hundreds of thugs and low end mercenaries fill the lower city, most of them eligible for a date with executioner's axe. They will fight to the death. Then you have the better mercenaries by the plaza and Mezentius' own. The kings come, seeking glory and riches; they will find death instead. It will be a bloodbath.

GABRIELLE

This is the price you spoke of.

XENA

Evil does and cares not for the means. Good suffers, heavy in cost.

Gabrielle, with breaking heart

GABRIELLE

I understand now.

Xena nods in answer and looks around. Her face brightens in recognition.

XENA

It's Marcus and he appears in charge. We found our inside man.

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

 

Return to the Academy